Reapers - Thirteen Brothers

By Tsubame

(Reapers Chronicles Book I of III) (Watty Awards Paranormal Story of 2012) I know I'm supposed to be dead. B... More

Read At Your Own Risk
Prologue
I - Moving
II- Vincent
III - "They"
IV - The Sinclairs
V - Rumors (1 of 2)
V - Rumors (2 of 2)
VI - Prediction (1 of 2)
VI -Prediction (2 of 2)
VII - All Sorts of Weird (1 of 2)
VII - All Sorts of Weird (2 of 2)
VIII - Fate (1 of 2)
VIII - Fate (2 of 2)
IX - The Day I Died (1 of 2)
IX - The Day I died (2 of 2)
X - The Visitors (1 of 2)
X - The Visitors (2 of 2)
XI - Denial (1 of 2)
XI - Denial (2 of 2)
XII - Leaving (1 of 2)
XII - Leaving (2 of 2)
XIII - Familiar
XIV - Wraiths
XV - Vladimir
XVI - Replacement
XVII - The Plan
XIX - Training
XX - Transference
XXI - Surveillance
XXII - Swarth
XXIII - Head
XXIV - Master (1 of 2)
XXIV - Master (2 of 2)
XXV - Scythe
XXVI - The Chase
XXVII - The Mystery Man
XXVIII - Draught
XXIX - The Enemy
XXX - Change of Heart (1 of 2)
XXXI - Change Of Heart (2 of 2)
XXXII - Doors
XXXIII - Max
XXXIV - The Attack
XXXIV - The Attack (2 of 2)
XXXV - Boy without a Name
XXXVI - The Messenger
XXXVII- Preparations
XXXVIII - Curse
XXXIX - Truth
XXXX - Halo
XXXXI - Last Dance
XXXXII - The Hunt
XXXXIII - Punishment
XXXXIV - Sharifa
XXXXV - Escape
XXXXVI - Alliance
XXXXVII - Labyrinth
XXXXVIII - Ethereals
XXXXIX - Rosario (1 of 2)
XXXXIX - Rosario (2 of 2)
L - Glitch
LI -- Doubt
LII - Trick
Epilogue

XVIII - Resolve

155K 3.6K 442
By Tsubame

A beautiful Sunday morning. The birds twittered blissfully from outside the stone walls of Sinclair mansion as a thin ray of sun sluggishly snaked between the gaps of the heavily draped windows and caressed my cheek. By this time, people—normal people—would be looking forward to the day ahead. Going to church. Walking the dog. Shopping. Spending time with family. The day couldn’t be more perfect.

But not for me.

Not only because I just found out that I had been a dead girl walking among the living, or that by some twisted fate, I was coerced to live with the most obnoxious, insensitive, ungentlemanly creature on the face of the planet. Let’s hide this person under the name Vincent—who made me sleep on an incredibly uncomfortable chair while he held my wrist with an outstanding vice grip, whereas he, with all the coziness of the soft bed and the warm sheets, slept like a rock.

With a sigh of pity for myself, I pouted, thinking of ten most sadistic ways to make him cry. But in the end, it was myself who I had found in the brink of tears as I stared at his beautiful innocent sleeping face.

Of all the thirteen brothers to find me, why Vincent? Why couldn’t it be the Tenth, Kyoshiro, who gave out familiars as birthday presents? At least, he was thoughtful enough.

“Hey, wake up!” I yanked my wrist off his grip.

Good thing I was fully healed and ready to make an all-out rebellion against him.

Sadly, he didn’t let go. He must be part koala.

“It’s still early,” he groaned.

“Get up, Boss,” I said the last word exhausting a lifetime’s worth of sarcasm. “Don’t people die on Sundays?”

Grumbling, he rolled over, tugging me with him as he did. I knocked my shins on the edge of the bed and stumbled stomach first, slamming hard on his back.

“Okay,” I said exasperatedly breathing in and out. “That totally hurts!”

I snatched the pillow from under his head and wacked him. Repeatedly.

I wasn’t planning on stopping until I caused an internal bleeding or at the least, annoy him to death but just then, an invisible weight pinned me down. Excruciating pain travelled all over me like smoldering dull spokes prodding onto my skin.

Defiant! The Bind hissed at me. Repent!

Gasping for breath, Vincent stirred under me appearing startled. “What are you doing? Get off!” he yelled, attempting to heave me away from him without much success. The weight of the Bind prevented him from doing so.

Repent! The Bind commanded.

I just replied with something between a cough and a sardonic chuckle.

No. I told the Bind as I tried to get up, only to be knocked down against Vincent's back. If I'm going to suffer, I might as well let Vincent suffer with me.

Vincent looked pale, almost unable to breathe as beads of sweat formed on his temples. “You’re bound! Do what it tells you,” he choked wheezing.

“N-no,” I muttered through my teeth, my fingers clutching on his arm tightly to keep myself from whimpering. “I… would never… acknowledge you as… my master!”

YIELD! The Bind shrieked, making my blood curdle.

The weight pushing both of us down doubled with a nearly crushing force. I heard a few bones click which healed almost instantly since I was pressed hard on Vincent. His life force streamed through me like a warmer, like an elating sensation pulsing incessantly as it travelled within my body like a flood.

“Aramis… you’re… taking too much,” he whispered almost pleadingly, his eyes wide.

Vincent’s hand suddenly fell limp. His eyes closed.

“Vincent?”

He didn't answer. Or move.

“Vincent!”

Still nothing.

Bind! Hey! Are you there? I’m sorry okay? Just stop killing Vincent!

But nothing happened.

I couldn't breathe. My vision was getting blurry.

“Vincent… Please wake up,” I whispered, in the brink of tears.

Suddenly, the Bind lifted its punishment.

I crumpled on the floor, coughing. Quickly, I clambered up the bed and used all my remaining strength to turn him over. It took some effort since he was about twice my weight. First, I pulled his arm then rolled him flat on his back.

“Okay... ” I panted, looking at him. “I’m still alive so you’re not dead.”

I slapped his cheek lightly as to rouse him.

He wasn't moving. Or breathing.

“Vincent? Vincent! Wake up!” I panicked, taking his hand. “Please… open your eyes. I'm sorry."

Trying not to sob, I leaned over his face. I tried to remember how to give mouth to mouth resuscitation. As I was about to blow onto his mouth, Vincent opened his eyes and pressed his lips together like he was trying not to smile.

I was more stunned than relieved when he got up from bed, laughing. He snatched my arm and towed me across the room, pinning me against the wall.

I struggled, but his fingers only tightened around my arms to the point of pain.

“Look,” he said through his teeth, his face just a couple of inches away from mine. “If you hate this set up, well, let me tell you the feeling is very mutual. I won’t force you to obey me. But never. Ever. Get in my way!”

His baritone voice bounced against the stone walls.

For a moment, I was at a loss for words.

“Then… why not kill me now?” I murmured.

He threw me a quizzical look.

“If I want you dead, don’t you think I could’ve just let you die the first time?!!” His shoulders were shaking, his fists clenched on his sides.

“So when are you going to tell me that you would kill me again?” I bit my lip.

Vincent's face darkened, his gaze down.

“Didn’t think so." I smirked." What am I? Some kind of plaything you turn on and off as you please?”

Swallowing hard, I blinked back the tears and pushed him away from me. This time, he let me go.

“You don’t understand—“

“I understand! I’m dead, Vincent, not dumb… Don’t I get a say on this?” My voice almost broke as I tried to meet his eyes. “I know that you’ve broken some rules for me and I thank you for that. What I don’t understand is why you won’t take me…” I didn’t want to seem desperate but that was exactly how I sounded.

 In brooding silence, he finally lifted his face, eyes boring into mine. His usual brashness was washed away by a chaos of emotions that almost broke my heart—melancholy, ambiguity, even pity.

Finally, Vincent opened his mouth, hesitated and turned away, reaching the door before I could even blink. His rushed footfalls slowly faded before I could realize that he had already deserted me.

Why? I nagged at myself, hoping that the voice inside me could solve all my questions. Uncomprehendingly, I stepped into the en suite bathroom, ignoring the coldness of the floor under my bare feet.

What's wrong with me? Maybe, if I was more like Adrianna. I thought resentfully, stepping into the big oval tub, half-filled with lukewarm water that smelled of lavender. Confusion slowly ate away at me as I closed my eyes and submerged myself. Taking into consideration that by some miracle, Vincent changed his mind and took me as his familiar, would I wholeheartedly accept it? Would I be able to endure being his for the rest of my eternal life? Or at least try to stay alive?

All my life, I had dreamt to be free and now I wasn’t so sure if I still wanted that. Since the day I found out Vincent’s secret, all my plans didn’t make any sense anymore.

XIII

I found my way to the kitchen where the masters and all the other familiars were already having breakfast in the huge slab of leveled wood that was supposed to be the kitchen table. The room smelled of butter and freshly baked bread.

“Good morning,” Mei chirped as she gestured for me to sit beside her, which I did.

Byron Flynn toppled over his empty doggie bowl and sat on my feet. From across the table, the masters sat side by side. Beside them, Rosario deliberately ignored me while Archie just eyed impassively.

To my left, Amyr smirked as his eyes shifted from Vincent to me. “Had a good night’s sleep?”

I noticed that they were all looking intently at my direction for a reply, except for Vincent who kept his eyes on his plate.

“Uhm… It’s okay,” I mumbled eyeing at Vincent.

Vladimir just forked on his omelet and shook his head with a sigh. “I still haven’t changed my mind about her, brother.”

“Same here,” Vincent muttered without even looking up.

Amyr nudged me lightly on the side and whispered. “You two having an LQ?”

I knotted my brows. “No… I mean yes. Uhm, what’s an LQ?”

Mei giggled softly and covered her lips with a dainty hand. Amyr didn’t even try to hold back his laughter.

Vincent finally lifted his gaze, his fist slamming on the table. The tableware rattled.

“Enough of this nonsense,” he gritted through his teeth.

“Someone’s got anger issues,” I muttered.

“The girl’s got angst,” Vladimir exchanged high-fives with Amyr. “This is going to get good.”

“Couldn’t agree more, Boss,” the familiar replied, still laughing. “I'mma go get the popcorn.”

“Shut up, Amyr!” Vincent and I chorused which just made them laugh even harder.

“Shut up!” Vincent yelled at me.

“No, you shut up! What is your problem? If you don’t want me here, just go ahead and toss me to the wraiths. They seem like the appreciative bunch."

Vincent gripped the edge of the table until his knuckles turned white. “There’s nothing you can say that would change my mind. You’ll be crossing over at the end of the year whether you like it or not!”

“Well you’re not the boss of me!”

“Well, in fact I am, Aramis Rayne! I am so the boss of you. What did you think 'master' meant?!”

"Touché."

From out of nowhere (or from the microwave) Amyr took out a huge bag of popcorn and passed it over to his master and the other familiars. So that was why the room smelled of butter.

Before I forgot that I was arguing with Vincent, I cleared my throat and arrived to my final resort. “Oh, but you also said that I didn’t have to obey you. See? I’m not bound.” After saying that, I almost flinched in anticipation of a punishment from the Bind. Luckily, my theory was correct.

He looked like he just boarded a plane and suddenly remembered that he left something cooking on the stove.

I snatched Amyr’s hand and tow-heaved him in front of Vincent who glowered at us like we just killed a bunny rabbit.

“Whoa, Noob! What’s that for?” he complained.

I met Vincent’s all-consuming eyes, patting Amyr’s shoulder. “I’m going to be a familiar and he’s training me, right Amyr? Tell him.”

My trainer-to-be shrugged, throwing a look at his master.

Vladimir’s eyes gleamed like polished steel, a nonchalant smile playing on his delicate face. “I don’t disapprove.”

With that, Amyr gave me a high-five that nearly fractured my arm and yelled, “Hell yeah! You got yourself a teacher, young one,” in a somber British accent.

“A pleasure to learn from you, oh great one,” I replied, bowing at him before turning to Vincent. “See? And the great one thinks that I would be an awesome familiar. ”

I nudged Amyr.

He chuckled gingerly. “I remember saying that you’d be a familiar that won’t die for a long time. And only because you threatened to kill me in my sleep.”

"Ugh. Backstabber!"

“No! Never!” Vincent shouted fiercely before Mei could part her lips. “Vlad, help me on this.”

He seemed more frantic than threatening now.

The older but by far shorter Sinclair shrugged and waved a hand. “Oh come on, Vince. I’ve already given my word.”

“Yeah, come on Vince,” I said with a newfound spirit that was quickly dampened when Vincent shut me up with a dangerous scowl. I bit my lip. “Sorry. Just got carried away.”

Vincent looked like he was going to explode. His arms and jaws were tense, his breathing, harsh as if he was just a hair’s breadth away from hurling the whole table at me.

I jumped back and took cover behind Amyr.

Gulping, I looked Vincent straight in the eyes. “If I…” I began, clearing my throat so my voice wouldn’t break. “If I have less than thirty days left, I don't want to spend it locked up in here. It’s a short time but it’s all I have so I want to make the best of it. When the year ends and you still think I’m not worthy to be your familiar, I’ll crossover without a fight.”

Letting out a deep sigh, I searched the ceiling for something interesting, something that would keep the tears away.

“Seems like a pretty good deal to me.” It was Vladimir who broke the silence that lingered in the room for a while.

Vincent appeared to consider it as all of us anticipated his reply. “Thirty days…” he whispered vacantly to himself as if he just heard that the end of the world was coming. He sagged on one of the stools and squared his shoulders. “Fair enough."

Suddenly, I could breathe again.

Mei danced her way to me, smiling widely, anchoring an arm around mine.

Amyr rolled his eyes, grinning. “Eat up, Newbie. You’ll need it if you’re gunna be awesome."

“On one condition,” Vincent added, throwing me an indifferent look.

Worriedly, I nodded. “What is it?”

A smirk slowly pulled up the corners of his lips as he patted the stool just beside him, eyes glowering at me. “From now on, you stick with me.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 84K 23
#Book-2 in Lost Royalty series (But can be read standalone ) Ekaksh Singh Ranawat The callous heartless , sole heir of Ranawat empire, which is spr...
432K 16.4K 68
Isabelle loves reading books, especially novels. One time, she read a famous novel called 'Grow Old with You'. Isabelle was betrayed by her sister f...
287K 8.2K 41
I am insufficient. Well, that's not my name obviously, but that's what my family has decided I am. I'm Julie. I'm 14, about to be 15 years old. I ha...
809K 28.5K 102
When Grace returns home from college, it doesn't go like she thought it would. With her past still haunting her everyday choices, she discovers a sid...