Living in the Past: Lily Luna...

By crystaldolphin42

Lily Luna Potter has never been normal, even as the only daughter of the Chosen One and one of the members of... More

Prologue: Mirror Maze
Chapter 1: Birthday Surprise
Chapter 2: The Last Time Turner
Chapter 3: Lost and Found
Chapter 4: Memories
Chapter 5: Reflections
Chapter 6: Darkness Falling
Chapter 7: The Confrontation
Chapter 8: The Truth
Chapter 9: The Right Path
Chapter 10: Arrangements
Chapter 11: The Marauders and Snape
Chapter 12: Complications
Chapter 13: Busted
Chapter 14: Alliances
Chapter 15: Questions
Chapter 16: Small Victories
Chapter 17: The Future Awaits
Chapter 18: New Identities
Chapter 19: Privet Drive
Chapter 21: Chance Encounters

Chapter 20: Hidden Plots

877 44 17
By crystaldolphin42

Chapter 20: Hidden Plots

        A flash of light announced my arrival as the time turner brought me back into my house again. I sighed and shook my head, happy to be on solid ground again.

        "Miss Andrews!" squeaked a high-pitched voice. "'Tis good to see you again, miss!"

        I smiled and looked towards the source of the voice. Standing right in front of me was Trixie, the house-elf from Hogwarts who had volunteered to come help me. "I've told you before, Trixie, just Sophie is fine," I replied with a giggle. "And it's good to see you, too."

        Trixie nodded and took my jacket, shaking the dust from it and hanging it on the spotless coat tree next to the front door. I took a deep breath and turned to take in my surroundings. Because of my persistent time turner, I'd only ever been in my house maybe five or six times out of all the years I'd supposedly "owned" it. The walls, which I had painted a warm yellow, were still bare of any decorations, save an odd painting or two - presents from Dumbledore. Not that it mattered. I was never really one for decorations, even in my own room at my parents' house. The place did possess a lovely homey feel to it, but I suspected that it was Trixie's doing more than mine. She had a knack for that sort of thing, something I could never get the hang of.

        "How long have I been gone this time?" I asked, turning to see that she was busy dusting a few lamp shades.

        "Not long, miss," she replied. "Only about two or three months, miss."

        I sighed in relief. "No problems with Harry, then?"

        She looked up and smiled comfortingly at me. "Oh no, miss. Everything's quiet as usual."

        "Good. You've done a fantastic job. Are you sure you won't take a salary or something? I'm certain I can work something out -"

        "No need, miss. Trixie is happy to help her friend Sophie in any way that she can."

        I smiled sadly, feeling terribly guilty. Aunt Hermione's teachings had stuck with me, and even though I treated Trixie as a friend and not a servant, I just wished that I could have done something more for her. She was such a huge help, always making sure that everything was nice and neat whenever I came back and taking care of me, but she never asked for anything. I'd tried to pay her for her time, but she would always refuse whenever I talked to her about it. Blowing out a breath, I walked over towards the fireplace and sank onto the beige sofa, immensely glad for the soft cushions underneath me. All I'd done since that night at Godric's Hollow was travel, only stopping here and there for a few short breaks. It was exhausting. Honestly, I don't know how Aunt Hermione was able to use a time turner several times a day every single day to get to all her classes. I was having a tough time, and I was only traveling when the time turner deemed it fit for me to move again. Then again, Aunt Hermione only had to move a few hours back in time. I had to move entire years forward in time.

        A hoot sounded as Athena swooped in to perch on my shoulder, nipping my ear affectionately. I stroked her soft feathers and closed my eyes. Maybe if I could just rest for a few moments, I'd actually be able to function like a normal human being. I still had a mountain of things that I had to do, most importantly checking on Dad. I glanced up to check the Muggle calendar that Trixie kept on the wall. It read 22 June, 1991. That meant I still had more than a month until Dad would find out that he was a wizard. I sighed and retreated into my thoughts. Ever since James's and Lily's deaths, I had - under Dumbledore's request - remained in the Muggle world and kept an eye on him as he grew up. It wasn't easy. To start, Lily's sister, my Great-Aunt Petunia, was incredibly nosy and had made it her personal mission to try to find out as much as she could about me. She'd tried every tactic in her book: inviting me over for tea, meeting up with me in the supermarket, sending her son over with a fruit basket and a homemade pie (she called them 'welcoming gifts'; I called them bribery), even stooping so low as to hire an electrician to bug my house. I chuckled to myself. She was cunning, I had to give her that, but I'd managed to get the better of her every single time. Unfortunately, it wasn't just her; it seemed the entire neighborhood was buzzing about my sudden arrival and how I never really came out of my house. Some had the nerve to call me a few unpleasant names behind my back and to my face, which I won't even bother mentioning. Another reason I was unable to keep an eye on him was because of his cousin, my Uncle Dudley. Oh, sure, he'd been a good boy when Petunia had sent him over with the "welcoming gifts," but whenever he wasn't ordered to be nice to me by his mummy, he went out of his way to make my life miserable. And then there was Dad himself. I couldn't let him see me, not ever. Dumbledore had been very clear on this point. If he saw me, at least this early in his time line, it could change everything, and not in a good way. No, it was much better this way, that I watch him from afar - well, for now, anyway.

        My hands clenched into fists of their own accord. It was getting harder to keep my distance from him. I saw some of the things that Dudley did to him, and it wasn't pretty. I'd already had to stop myself from marching over to Number Four and whisking him away from them at least five times. It was absolutely maddening, feeling helpless. I'd come back in time to make everything better, why did I have to sit on the sidelines and watch my uncle abuse my future father? It just wasn't fair! In an effort to force myself to calm down, I stroked Athena's feathers again as she nuzzled my cheek with her head, sensing my distress. I had to get a grip on myself before I used accidental magic. That would not help my situation at all. It was so hard, though, with everything else I'd dealt with as of late. I mean, Petunia and her husband didn't even treat Dad like a human being. It wasn't right!

        I jumped about a foot off the couch as the vase next to me exploded, showering me with water and a few dead flower petals. Athena hooted as she pushed off from my shoulder, frantically beating her wings to avoid the flying shards and glaring at me. "Sorry, girl," I apologized once my heart rate slowed from its frantic racing.

        "Jeez, you'd think a witch in hiding would be a bit more careful to not blow her cover."

        I stiffened as the voice reached my ears. It was a male voice, and I knew for a fact that there were no men in my house. Turning, I searched for the owner of said voice, only to find empty space. "Who's there?" I called, slowly drawing my wand out from my pocket. "Show yourself!"

        At first, nothing happened. Then, a few seconds later, a figure appeared as an Invisibility Cloak was taken off their head and stowed in a pocket. As suspected, it was a young man, and a very familiar young man at that. My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets as I tried to process what I was seeing. "James?!"

        My big brother gave me a cocky smile, looking exactly the same as he had when I saw him on my birthday. "Surprise."

        Without further hesitation, I pushed myself off of the couch and raced into his arms, attacking him with a hug. He hugged me back just as tightly, and I got the feeling that he didn't want to let me go. Pulling myself back a little, I looked up at him. "Oh, Merlin! It's really you! But how?"

        He reached under his shirt collar and pulled out a time turner, very similar to my own. "Dad and Uncle Ron found it in the Department of Mysteries," he explained. "It was hiding in the corner of the room where all the other time turners used to be kept. They brought it back and let me use it to come visit you, see how you were doing." He shrugged. "Took me a few tries to figure out where you were, but I got it in the end."

        I paused at that, feeling the smile slide off my face. "You were able to track me down?"

        "Yeah. It was some sort of spell Aunt Hermione taught me - you know how she is with wand work. She even put a spell on this so that it would bring me back after a set period of time. I have about -" He looked down at his watch. "- ten minutes until then." He studied me carefully, noticing my worried expression. "Why? What's wrong?"

        "Nothing," I forced myself to choke out. "Nothing at all." I hugged him again. "It's just good to see you, James. I've missed you so much."

        "I missed you too, Lil," he replied, squeezing me tightly. "We all have. Mum and Dad have been worried sick about you ever since you disappeared."

        "How are they?" I asked, letting go of him and walking over to sit on the sofa with him. "Last time I saw them was at Hogwarts, in that mirror."

        "They're fine, and so's Al." He reached into his cloak again and pulled out a box. "Here, they sent this with their love."

        I took it and opened it without hesitation. Inside, I found a homemade sweater - probably Mum's doing -, a few of the scrapbooks I had received for my birthday, and a tiny shard of a mirror. "Is that . . ."

        James nodded. "Sirius Black's mirror. Dad wanted to make sure you were safe, so he bought the other piece of it from Aberforth and sent this one along. He also told me to give you this."

        "My Quicksilver!" I exclaimed with joy as he pulled it out from a tiny handbag that I recognized to be from Aunt Hermione. Gratefully, I accepted it from him, cherishing the feeling of the smooth silver handle against my skin. I hadn't even gotten a chance to fly this beauty before I left. Suddenly, a realization dawned on me and my heart sank. "James, I can't bring this here. Not even the Firebolt has been invented yet. If anyone saw me riding this thing -"

        "I know," he said with his trademark cocky grin. "Aunt Hermione taught me this trick, too." With a wave of his wand, he cast some sort of silent spell over my broomstick, causing it to turn a completely different color. Instead of the trademark silver, it was now a mahogany brown with silver accents and resembled more of a Firebolt design. "Unfortunately, that's the furthest I can modify it without changing the speed and accuracy of the broom," he said apologetically. "You probably won't be able to use it until Dad's Third Year."

        I set the broom down by my feet and hugged him for all I was worth. "It's perfect. Thanks, James."

        He chuckled and pressed his lips into my hair. "Hey, anything for my baby sister."

        I pushed away from him. "I most certainly am NOT a baby anymore!"

        "You're still younger than me, so you're still my baby sister."

        "I'm seventeen! That does not qualify me as a baby!"

        "Ah, sure it does."

        "Does not!"

        "Does too!"

        "It does NOT!"

        "Miss Sophie?"

        The tiny voice stopped our playful argument, causing us both to look up. Trixie stood a few feet away from us, gazing at James with an almost fearful expression on her normally sweet face. "Is you all right, Miss?" she asked again, almost timidly.

        I straightened myself and smiled at her. "I'm fine, Trixie, really. I just got into a little scuffle."

        "Lils, who's this?" James asked, staring at the house-elf with suspicion.

        "Oh! James, this is Trixie. She's been helping me out around the house. Trixie, this is my big brother, James. He's from the future, like me."

        Trixie's eyes widened with understanding, but she still looked a little fearful of him as she bowed low. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Master James."

        "No, it's okay, Trixie," I said quickly, seeing how uncomfortable my big brother was with being called 'Master'. "You don't have to call anyone in my family 'Master' or 'Miss'. Any of the things I say you can do around me, you can also do around my family."

        She nodded. "Of course, Miss Sophie. Trixie will try."

        I gave her a kind smile and went to say more, but was stopped by James roughly grabbing my arm and pulling me over to the side. "Ow! James, let go!" I said, attempting to tug my arm out of his grip.

        "What the bloody hell are you doing with a house-elf?" he hissed, his voice and expression furious. "You know how our family feels about them! If Mum and Dad ever found out that you were keeping one as - as a servant -"

        "How dare you!" I exclaimed, ripping my arm away from him in a burst of fury. "Trixie is my friend! I have given her the option of leaving, but she stays because she wants to, not because I order her to!"

        "Please, Ma - James, sir," Trixie interrupted timidly. "Miss Sophie is very kind to poor Trixie. Professor Dumbledore found Trixie and brought her to Hogwarts, away from the family Trixie used to serve. Then Miss Sophie took Trixie in, and she . . . she treats Trixie like . . ." Trixie swallowed and looked up at me almost reverently. ". . . like an equal, not the way Trixie's old masters used to treat her."

        I felt sorry for the little elf. Dumbledore told me that she used to be a servant of the Lestranges, but had been freed when they went to Azkaban. I had already met Bellatrix back in the Battle of Hogwarts, and I hated her more than I had ever hated anybody in my life. I couldn't bear to imagine the kinds of torture Trixie had been forced to endure under her watch. Impulsively, I knelt to her level and gave her a hug. "You're more than my equal," I told her. "You're my friend. And friends are always there for each other, no matter what."

        I let go of her after a minute, and she sniffled and wiped her nose. "Thank you, Miss Sophie. You is too kind."

        James cleared his throat a little awkwardly, still just standing there. I could tell that he was still angry that I had a house-elf, but his demeanor had softened. "Can I ask a question?" he said, looking a bit confused. "Why does she keep calling you 'Sophie'?"

        "That's Miss Sophie's name, sir," Trixie said as if it should be obvious.

        "At least, the name that I'm using while I'm here," I interjected quickly. "Dumbledore's idea. He thought it best to hide my identity from everyone, including people I already know I can trust."

        "Ah," James said. He gazed down at his feet, falling silent again. "Listen, Lils, I -"

        I cut him off with a hug. "No need to apologize, James. I know you were just confused. Sorry I snapped at you."

        He chuckled. "In all honesty, I did kind of deserve it."

        I looked up at him and raised an eyebrow. "Wow, James Potter, admitting that he deserved to be snapped at? Are you sure the apocalypse isn't coming?"

        We both laughed at that, and just for a moment, I was a little girl again - having a good time with my big brother, not having to worry about anything else. I had missed the feeling. Coming back in time forced me to grow up a lot faster than I would have liked. While I would never admit it out loud, I kind of missed being the baby and not having a lot of responsibilities.

        After a few more moments, James glanced down at his watch and gave a big sigh. "Looks like it's time for me to go."

        "But you just got here!"

        "I know, and I'm sorry. I would have liked to stay longer, but I have to get back. You know, time lines and all that."

        "Yeah, I guess."

        James squeezed me as tight as he could without cutting off my oxygen supply, kissing my forehead. "Stay safe, Lils. I don't want you getting hurt."

        "I'll be alright, James. You know I will."

        "I mean it," he said, pulling back to look at me. His brown eyes, so much like Mum's and mine, were filled with concern, the way they always were when he was very serious about something. "If something were to happen to you while you were stuck back here, I wouldn't be there to help you. I . . ." He sighed  and looked down at the ground. "I just want my little sister to be okay. It's not fair for you to be stuck back here all on your own."

        I fell silent, moved by his words. Sometimes I forgot just how protective my brothers could be, especially James. It was nice to see that he cared so much. After a few seconds, I hugged him back with all my strength. "I'll be fine," I replied. "I've got loads of support, both here and at home. Just worry about yourself and the people at home, okay?"

        He sighed and, seeing that he would get no further in his argument, finally gave a nod. He squeezed me as hard as he could with one last parting hug and kissed the top of my head. I snuggled into his chest and felt myself tearing up, though I refused to let him see me cry. He let go of me and stepped back a few paces, and as I watched, he disappeared in a haze of golden light and sparkles. A note fluttered to the floor where he had stood, and I stooped down to pick it up, holding it gingerly between my fingers and studying the words written in James's recognizable scrawl:

        We love you, Lils.

        "Miss Sophie? Is you okay?" Trixie asked from behind me.

        "Fine," I said, forcing the words out from my suddenly-clogged throat. "Actually, I have a visit to make to Hogwarts. Could you take care of things while I'm gone?"

        She gave a solemn nod, her huge bat-like ears bobbing and her big eyes surprisingly serious. "Of course, Miss Sophie. Trixie will keep things tidy until you return."

        I smiled at her. "Thanks, Trixie."

        "It's the least Trixie can do for a friend, Miss Sophie."

        As she walked out of the room, I looked down at the note again and flipped it over. On the back side was a picture of all my family together, waving at me and smiling, even my extended family. I choked back a sob, an involuntary tear rolling down my cheek, which was quickly wiped away. No use crying over the things I can't change. Besides, if all went well, I would see them again soon.

        But Merlin, how I missed them.

        I laid the picture down on the table where the vase had been until a few minutes ago and shut all the blinds with a flick of my wand. Mentally preparing myself, I Disapparated out of the house. There was someone that I desperately needed to see.

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — 

        After Disapparating a few more times, I finally arrived at my destination and looked up. Hogwarts. Taking a deep breath, I walked up to the front doors, not quite sure how I was going to get in. I had never been to Hogwarts as a visitor before. How was I supposed to get in? Knock and hope that Filch was in a good mood? As I approached the doors, they swung open before me of their own accord. In between them stood Filch, the same as he always was, stroking his mangy cat Mrs. Norris as per usual. It made him look like a creepy villain from one of those old James Bond movies.

        "The Headmaster thought you'd be coming sooner or later," he explained before I had a chance to ask. "He said to send you straight up to his office when you did, and to tell you that he likes Sherbet Lemons. I presume you can find your way by now?"

        I nodded. "Of course. Thank you, Mr. Filch."

        He sneered at me but stepped aside to let me in. I repressed a shudder of disgust as I walked past him and up the stairs. I really did not like that man; then again, who in Hogwarts did, except perhaps Dumbledore? Trying to push the repulsive man out of my mind, I started up the staircase as I had many times before. I could probably find my way to Dumbledore's office in my sleep if I had to by now. By the time I reached the stone gargoyle, I had somehow managed to calm myself and force my face into an expression of serenity. I said the password that Filch had given me, took a deep breath as the gargoyle leapt aside, and stepped onto the moving staircase, feeling distinctly as if I was in the middle of a dream that I couldn't wake up from. I'd had this feeling before, but it came to me now stronger than ever, this sense that nothing in this world was the way it should be. Maybe it was because I was in my father's time and not my own, and because I kept jumping through the years, though it didn't quite fit in my mind; I was almost certain that it was something else, something I was missing, but what that something was I had no idea.

        I heard Dumbledore's voice tell me to come in as if from far away, and I pushed the door open in a sort of daze. There he sat at his desk, in the same position he always seemed to be in whenever I came to see him - elbows on the desk, fingers steepled over his crooked nose, his gaze thoughtful and pensive. He looked up at me when I entered and gave me a warm, grandfatherly smile, the kind that made you feel warm inside but also made you feel like you were being x-rayed. "Sophia," he greeted me. "A pleasure to see you again, my dear."

        "And you, Professor," I replied. "I understand that you were expecting me?"

        "Yes, of course." He gestured to the other chair, which I didn't hesitate to sit in. Yup. Definitely going to have to put a sign on it. He waited until I was comfortably situated before continuing. "I assumed that, since you have watched your father grow up in the Dursley household and it is now the year he will be coming to Hogwarts, you would have some questions for me regarding his education and how you would continue to watch over him."

        I frowned. To tell the truth, I had forgotten that it was the year Dad would be accepted into Hogwarts. I had been so wrapped up in keeping him safe and not mixing up the timelines that it had slipped my mind entirely. Add one more thing to the growing list of things to discuss. "Actually, I had something else entirely in mind, but I would like to discuss that, too."

        He gave me a curious look that I couldn't even describe. "Then please, continue."

        I took another deep breath, averting my eyes towards the floor. My hands absentmindedly toyed with the hem of my shirt, wrapping a loose string around my finger and unwinding it again. "Sir, one of my brothers came to visit me today, from the future."

        He leaned towards me, his hands returning to their original position. "Curious," he said. "How did he know where to find you?"

        "He - he said that my aunt taught him a spell that would track my position." My gaze lifted upwards again, fully meeting his piercing stare. "Sir, if my family could track where I am, that could also mean that Voldemort can track me, too, couldn't it? And if he can find me, then . . ." My voice dropped to almost a whisper as the full weight of my realization came crashing down on me. ". . . then I have to leave Dad. I would lead Voldemort right to him. I . . . I can't do that, not to him."

        There was silence as Dumbledore considered what I had just said. I wasn't sure how he would react, but I knew that my assumption was true. I couldn't explain how I knew, only that I knew beyond any doubt that if I stayed, I would essentially be securing my father's death. There was no other way for me, that much I was certain. I had to leave him. At that thought, something inside me reacted, causing pain like a gaping wound to grip my chest. Yes, I knew that I had to leave, but at what cost? My sole purpose in being here was to protect my dad, to keep him safe until he could fend for himself. If I left, what would I do? Where would I go? How would I be able to cope with the fact that I might never see him again?

        Dumbledore frowned thoughtfully at me for another moment before lowering his hands again. "I wonder . . . would you let me run a quick test on you? It will only take a minute."

        I blinked in surprise. "Uh . . . sure."

        He pulled out his wand and we stood together, trying to get my muscles to relax. It's only a test, I told myself. Don't be such a baby. He made an intricate waving gesture with his wand, murmuring a few words underneath his breath, and a tingling sensation spread throughout my entire body. I closed my eyes and I felt a presence in my mind that wasn't mine. Immediately I shoved it away, falling to the floor from the force of my mental exertion. Dumbledore also took a step backwards, regarding me with something akin to surprise, and I wondered if it was him who had tried to penetrate my thoughts. Either way, I didn't want it to happen again. I had so many secrets about my life that I wanted to keep for as long as possible, and I didn't want anyone poking about in my head, no matter how close they were to me.

        "S-sorry," I stuttered, feeling keenly like I had done something wrong.

        He shook his head, helping me to my feet. "No need to apologize, my dear girl. The fault is mine. I should have warned you beforehand what would happen." He chuckled. "Your mind is a good deal stronger than I anticipated."

        I chuckled nervously and rubbed the back of my neck. "Sorry," I apologized again, feeling as if one apology somehow wasn't enough.

        "Don't misunderstand me," he said. "That is a good thing, especially if you are going to be facing Voldemort. He is a formidable Legilimens. However, for this test to work, you will need to let me into your mind." I bit my lip, wondering how I would be able to tell him that I didn't want him in my head but I still wanted the test. He must have caught a glimpse of my inner battle on my face because he smiled reassuringly at me. "I understand if you have hesitations. However, it truly is necessary."

        I sighed, resigning myself to the fact that I would have to go through with this if I wanted to know what was going on. "All right, but please, don't . . . look through my memories?" My voice sounded as if I was asking a question instead of making a request.

        "Of course," he nodded. "There is a trick for that, you know, that an old friend taught me once. Picture a room with many different doors. Behind each of those doors should lie a memory. If there is any one that you do not wish me to view, close the door to that particular memory. If I should come across a closed door in your mind, I will not look beyond it."

        I nodded and closed my eyes, mentally preparing myself. What didn't I want Dumbledore to see? Well, obviously, anything about my dad's stories; as much as I trusted him, there was a small part of me that told me to be careful around him. He was powerful, and if he deemed me a threat, I had no doubt in my mind that he would get rid of me as soon as possible. Besides, I remembered reading somewhere that knowing too much about the future could lead to disaster - as in big, universe-exploding, all-of-creation-burning disaster. I pictured all the memories pertaining to my parents, aunt, uncle, and other extended family during the coming years behind a large iron door, and slammed it shut. One down. What else? After thinking for a few more moments, I had locked away all the other memories that I didn't want seen, mostly pertaining to my family and life after the war. The BANG from the doors slamming echoed in my mind.

        I opened my eyes and nodded to him to signal that I was ready. He gave me another reassuring smile, and I tried to allow myself to relax as I felt him enter my mind again, my eyes fluttering closed once more. This time, though, I could see him walking around inside my head, viewing the memories I had left unguarded. I watched as he looked through them all, flipping through them like pages of a book. Seeming to find something to his satisfaction, he nodded and left my head. Feeling my legs give out from underneath me, I sank to the floor. I was exhausted, like I had just run a marathon. A hand came into my view, and I looked up to see Dumbledore reaching down to help me up. Thankful, I grabbed his hand and hauled myself to my feet, barely making it to the chair before I collapsed again.

        "I apologize," he said as he walked back to his own chair behind the desk. His wand was away now, disappeared somewhere in the depths of his robes. "Going through a Legilimancy twice in the space of a few minutes is taxing, especially for those not accustomed to it."

        I nodded, feeling too tired to argue with him and say that it was no big deal, that I was fine. "Did you find what you were looking for?" I asked.

        He smiled at me with that grandfatherly smile again. "Yes, I did. I looked through your memories to see if something had perhaps latched onto the thoughts and memories in your head. There was no trace of Lord Voldemort in your mind, which is a good thing." I breathed a sigh of relief, feeling my body relax. "However," he continued, and my muscles tensed again, "there was evidence to suggest that something else has been in your mind, something I have never seen before."

        My breathing hitched and I felt my heart begin to race. Something else was in my head that Dumbledore hadn't seen before? If Dumbledore didn't know what it was, then that was bad. What was going on? "So that's it, then?" I said, my spirits falling. "I have to leave him?"

        Dumbledore sat back and stroked his long beard in a thoughtful manner, gazing at me with that x-ray stare of his. "Not quite," he murmured, so low that I almost didn't hear it. After a few moments, he stood and began walking around the room. "Miss Andrews, I have been considering this for some time now, ever since I felt that presence in your mind on that day in your seventh year. You obviously have much more knowledge of how this story will play out than any of us here do, and you need to be able to watch over your father while you are here. Therefore, I would like to propose . . ." He sat down here and gazed at me with his intense gaze, as if wondering how I would take his suggestion. ". . . that you become a staff member here at Hogwarts."

        I felt my eyes go wide at his idea, all weariness I had previously felt gone and replaced with shock. "You mean . . . come teach here?" I asked.

        He nodded. "Of course. Madame Hooch, our Flying teacher and Quidditch referee, unexpectedly resigned at the end of this past year, and I have had quite a lot of trouble finding a replacement. Your parents told me when I contacted them that you are a formidable flyer and captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team back in your time."

        He gave me a sly smile and I couldn't help but blush. While I admit part of me was screaming in excitement at the prospect of becoming a teacher at Hogwarts, there was another part of me that was hesitant. I had never taught anyone before, unless you count tutoring as teaching. Besides, I wasn't as good as everyone made me out to be; sure, I was Quidditch captain, and yes, I was fair on a broom, but to teach First Years how to fly? How was I supposed to do that? "Sir, are you sure that you want me for this position?" I asked. "I've never taught anything before in my life and I have no experience with children. Besides, being Quidditch referee is a pretty big job, and I've only just graduated school."

        "Oh, I'm sure Professor McGonagall would be more than happy to assist you with any . . . education questions you may have," he said, the ever-present twinkle in his eye back in full force. "However, the choice is entirely up to you. I cannot force you to join the staff here. If you do decide to join us, though, you will be able to keep a close watch on your father, since he will be in your class."

        I thought about it. I wanted more than anything to be able to help my father and to watch over him, but there was still one thing bothering me. "Sir, if I did decide to become a teacher here, would the time turner allow me to stay?"

        He mulled it over for a few moments. "I believe so," he reasoned. "You were able to finish out your last year at Hogwarts. I see no reason why it would bring you away when you are completing your . . . assignment."

        I sighed as I considered his proposition for a few moments more before finally coming to a decision. "All right," I said. "I'll do it."

        Dumbledore clapped his hands together in front of him, a huge grin stretching from ear to ear. "Splendid! I shall contact you soon with the information you need. In the meantime, I would ask you to keep a close eye on your father. Although Voldemort is gone for the moment, whoever is truly behind all of this may still be alive, and our first priority is to keep him safe."

        I nodded. That was something that both he and I could agree on. "Don't worry, Professor. I won't let anything hurt him. You know I won't."

        "And I have great faith in your ability. Now, I'm afraid I have some business to attend to. Mr. Filch will show you the way out, although I trust you can find it on your own by now. Good luck, Ms. Andrews."

        "Thank you, Professor. Good luck to you as well."

        My mind drifted into a daze again as I followed Filch out toward the front gates, not even paying attention to him as he scowled at me and closed the huge doors. Running everything over in my mind again, I realized for the first time just how serious my situation was. Someone - or something - much more powerful than Voldemort was trying to manipulate me, to use me for their own twisted ends. What those ends were, though, I had no idea as of yet. All I knew was that whoever this person was, they were going to have to kill me to get to him. I would protect him, no matter what. That last thought echoed in my brain as I turned on my heel and Disapparated away from one of the only places I called home.

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — 

        In a dark cave far from Hogwarts, a figure watched in anticipation as the little girl Disapparated from the castle, gnarled hands tracing her outline as her image played through again and again like a broken picture. A series of dry, hissing croaks that could be classified as laughter sounded in the dank confines of its prison. So she had taken the bait after all. Good. Everything was falling out as planned. Riddle's failure the first time had almost succeeded in destroying everything it had worked so hard to create, but it was cunning. Time, after all, was no hard thing for it to manipulate, and human minds were so easily swayed. There had been no issue in turning back the clock and convincing the old fool to plant the Time Turner in the destroyed house. Now that the girl was here, she could be the key to salvation.

        The figure crawled toward the back corner of the cave where it kept its food, choosing a fish that had long since lost any life and tearing into it with a fierce hunger. It supposed that at one time it had also been human - had even had a pretty little human name and a beautiful body - but whatever shreds of humanity it had previously contained had vanished long ago, after it was first defeated. Now there was only this shriveled skin that it currently inhabited, far from the being that it used to be. But that would change soon. It still possessed a mind, after all, and although its sanity had been ripped to shreds, it was still more clever than any pretty little witch or foolish wizard alive today.

        Slime and blood dribbled down its withered chin and fell to the floor in little droplets, creating dark stains in the dirt. Oh yes, it would make the Wizarding World pay for what had been done to it. It would have revenge. But patience . . . it must have patience if it wanted to achieve its goals. It had learned that the hard way the first time the Dark Lord had come to power. It scoffed at the thought of the name that the wizard had made for himself. Dark Lord, indeed! It would soon be the darkest sorcerer that ever lived, more powerful than any mere wizard. It would show this world what true power was. They would pay . . . oh, how they would pay . . .

        A flare of light from its looking-glass-orb made it stop its frantic feasting and look up. In the swirling image, the girl appeared, walking around what the creature presumed to be her home, talking to a little house-elf. She laughed at something the house-elf had said before walking to the window and gazing at the street. Ah yes, the Potter boy. He was pivotal to the story. Best not to kill him off before it was time. It would be a long wait, but it had waited for hundreds of years for its revenge. It could wait a little longer until the boy had matured. And, of course, his pretty little daughter, still so unaware of her own role in this tale. The girl was the key. The key, the key, the key, the key - No, no, not yet. It would be patient. It would wait for the prophesied time. Until then, it would watch and learn, see how Potter's daughter would play her part. The creature chuckled its croaking laugh again as it settled in to watch the chaos unfold.

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — 

Author's Note: Um . . . hi? *ducks in anticipation of flying objects* Please don't kill me! I am so, SO sorry for going MIA on you guys! I had no motivation to write until recently, and beginning-of-senior-year-madness ensued, which left me zero time to write. Not a good combo. So, finally, the much-anticipated Chapter 20! Not quite what I had originally envisioned, but I think I'm liking this track better than my original plan. Besides, Zookie was rather insistent that the story take this turn, and who am I to say no to a writing dragon? Hope you guys liked this chapter! I will try to update soon, but no promises. We should be seeing some Harry-meeting-Lily action soon, and I'm excited to see how Lily will perform as a Hogwarts professor. See you all soon!

Oh, and one more thing before I go. Because I am such a HUGE nerd, I managed to sneak some Doctor Who references into the chapter. For any fellow Whovians out there, see if you can find them. ^_^

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76 60 38
It might not be 100% fluid, but an AI generated the story  and also created the summary In this heartwarming tale, Harry Potter and his friends, in...
267K 8.9K 60
After the Second Wizarding War, Harry Potter struggles to shake his past. With the help of a mysterious Time-Turner, Harry has the opportunity to tra...
2.5K 60 16
DISCONTINUED Bellatrix Black-Lestrange and The Dark Lord have a child before the are imprisoned in Azkaban and almost killed (respectively). Now sinc...
9.9K 319 11
~ BOOK TWO ~ Lily Luna Potter is not your everyday witch. Her parents are celebrities in the wizarding world after defeating Lord Voldemort over two...