one last try » taylor swift

By new-york-swift

Three-year-old Grace is a poor child living in a corrupted military family, and her father is sent away, leav... More

Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four

Twenty-One

1.9K 64 1
By new-york-swift

Grace

I couldn't believe it. My dad, the one person I truly loved, was gone.

I couldn't process my emotions.

The minute Taylor and I got home, she put me down on the couch, then her and Tom went to the other room. I was glad, as that meant I didn't have to talk about it. I didn't want to talk about it, at least, not yet.

I sat and cried. I didn't know why I was crying, because I wasn't sure that I felt sad. I wasn't sure that I felt anything.

I was of course was upset that he was gone. But I think maybe I was crying because no one is there when you need them to be. I wasn't crying because he was gone, I was crying because he would never come back. At three years old, that was nearly incomprehensible.

After what seemed like hours, Taylor and Tom came back into the living room. I felt the weights of their bodies sit on the couch with me, but I didn't look up.

"Grace..."'I heard Taylor say quietly. Immediately after hearing her voice, I get anger. I wasn't quite sure why, but I was upset and frustrated with her.

I felt my face heat up, but I still kept it pressed into the pillow.

"I'm so sorry," I heard her say again, in that same, quiet voice.

Maybe it was because she was the one who told me that he was gone, or maybe it was because when I was sad or upset, I would take it out through anger at the people who loved me the most, but whatever the reason, Taylor's voice was the last one I wanted to hear.

I was undeniably angry at her, and at only three years old, I couldn't exactly process why.

"Go away," I mumbled through the pillow.

"What was that, sweetie?" She asked.

"Go away!" I yelled louder as I lifted my head from the pillow to look at her.

She didn't say anything, all she did was display a confused look. Tom's face had the same expression on it.

"Go away!" I screamed again, louder this time. "Go away, go away, go away!"

My face was hot, and I felt my eyes start to sting. I jumped up from the couch and ran out of the room, and then up the stairs and down the hallway to my room. I didn't even care to close the door, I just ran to my bed and continued to cry. I grabbed ahold of one of the various stuffed animals and held it tightly to my heart.

For the first time since I had met Taylor, I wished I was at my house again. I wished that my mom and dad were both home, and I wished that we were all sitting at the dinner table together. Even if my home wasn't the best, I still missed my family. Because no matter how much my mom hurt me, I would always love her. And no matter how much I loved being with Taylor, I would always prefer my father.

After I had a few minutes to calm down, I felt guilty. I still was in shock about my dad, but I was trying to take my mind off of it as much as I could. I felt guilty because as much as I wanted to be mad at Taylor, I had no real reason to.

From the little conversations I'd overheard and from the talks I've had with Taylor and Tom, I knew that Taylor was sensitive. And as much as I didn't really understand what it meant to be sensitive, I knew that it meant she was probably freaking out right then. And I knew that she was probably upset that I had yelled at her, so I decided I needed to make it up to her.

I had some crayons and paper in the corner of my room, so I decided to draw her a picture. I picked up colors and scribbled them across the paper, as I wasn't too good at drawing. My hand couldn't control the crayons as well I wanted it to. Even though I couldn't draw anything beautiful, it took my mind off of things.

I didn't really know how to spell my name, but I knew how to write the letter "G," so on the back of the paper, I signed a big "G" so she knew I made it for her.

I tiptoed out of my room, wiping the last few tears from my eyes as I approached Taylor's door. I heard a few muffled cries, so I assumed she was upset. I felt even worse for making her cry, and I just hoped that she would understand that I didn't mean it.

I slipped the paper under the door, then quickly ran back to my room. I got under my covers and closed my eyes, hugging another stuffed animal. It felt like it was getting late, so I pretended to be asleep.

The door to my room opened at one point, but no one came in or said anything, and then the door closed again. I continued to pretend to fall asleep until I was dreaming for real. That day might have been one of the worsts of my life, but I still managed to fall asleep with a smile on my face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.8K 895 11
~TRIGGER WARNING~ this story does include self harm, so if you are sensitive, please do not read. A fifteen year old girl with a scratched up past so...
50.9K 1.2K 30
Chloe is a 9 year old orphan girl, sneaking to her very first Taylor Swift concert. Little does she know, her life is about to change forever.
53.4K 1.2K 37
"𝒀𝒐𝒖'𝒓𝒆 𝒐𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒐𝒘𝒏, 𝒌𝒊𝒅. 𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏" The first 9 years of Y/n's life were every kid's dream. A mom, a da...
55.7K 1.4K 45
A little girl runs to a random stadium to get away from her abusive home. What happens when she falls into every little girls fairytale life? ••• I d...