Calm The Fire

By Inconvenient_Ideal

It is a little known fact that Thorin had come to dislike the race of elves; but perhaps it hasn't always bee... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
Epilogue.

12

3.9K 151 0
By Inconvenient_Ideal

Upon being told that Náriel was not in her room, Thranduil stood beside Aranhi and Glandur, eyes looking sceptically and suspiciously around at everyone present. He couldn't see her. He frowned and turned slowly to walk to the seat which he had been appointed. Aranhi and Glandur stayed standing looking towards the door. They had been given the task of finding Náriel, and they had both failed, as such they were both standing watching the door to the hall. No doubt whoever spotted her first would turn to him and announce her arrival.

This moment came sooner than expected, though it was neither elven guard which spoke of Náriel's appearance. It was in fact Thrór, who let out a cheerful laugh and walked towards his grandchildren. At this, Thranduil stood and placed his hands on the table in front of him. Thorin, Frerin and Dís walked by Náriel's side, she was in the middle of a small band of dwarves. Thranduil sighed and walked slowly down to stand by Thrór's side.

He seemed more than pleased at seeing them all. Which caused Thranduil to look down at him with a sidewards glance. "Children!" He exclaimed still sounding rather excitable. "Where have you all come from?" He questioned.

Thráin appeared beside his father, "What a merry group you all look." He commented while slowly lifting his hand, he held onto a cup loosely and drank slowly from it. "Dís is perhaps enjoying it a little too much." He smiled down at his daughter, who did in fact stand there grinning widely.

"It seems we both had the same intention," Thorin said slowly, answering his grandfather's earlier question. Thrór gently ruffled Dís's hair when she stepped towards him. Looking at Thorin, he nodded for him to continue. "It seemed we all wished to say farewell to our elven guests."

Thráin let out a short laugh at this. "Only our intention involved everyone, not a select few, nor did ours involve hiding away in a far room somewhere." Thorin narrowed his eyes at his father, Thráin in return just laughed and turned and gestured to the large room behind him. Everyone present was mingling happily, much like they did when they welcomed the elves to Erebor. "Come, let's not converse in the doorway anymore."

Thrór nodded agreeing. "Too true, let us enjoy the evening."

The small group moved forwards so they could fully enter the hall. Náriel sent an apologetic smile up at Thranduil, "Sorry I was not present when Aranhi came around to escort me here." She whispered so only he could really hear.

"You are here now, I suppose that is the important thing."

Náriel frowned. "I would not miss this."

"You almost did."

"Only because the same ideas were thought up by two different sets of people and clashed." Náriel said simply. She wasn't going to get into an argument about being absent. She was here, and she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. She intended to stay and enjoy this evening for however long it lasted. Walking over a table, she frowned, "Please tell me you're not all having another drinking competition?" She leaned against the wooden furniture and looked to Dwalin for an answer.

"Ah," Glóin said while looking towards her. "No. It seems that we need not hide away this time."

"I don't think we needed to last time," Dwalin mumbled thoughtfully while lifting his drink to his lips. "We just chose to."

Náriel smiled, "Is Balin on refill duty again?"

"Who knows where he is?" Dwalin said while looking up at her. "He was with us all, but he seemed to have disappeared as soon as we arrived here." He looked up and around the room, he wondered where his brother had disappeared to as well. Sitting back down, he shook his head, "Who knows." Was all he commented while quickly glancing up at her.

Náriel turned slowly and looked down when Dís appeared in front of her. "What is it, Dís?" She smiled and crouched down to her level.

She put her hands together in front of her and smiled sheepishly. "Can you dance?"

Raising an eyebrow, Náriel stood up and held out her hand. "Can you?" Dís put her hand in Náriel's and smiled slowly, there was already a small number of people twirling and dancing merrily to the music which was being played at the back of the hall.

Dís seemed to get great amusement out of being twirled around, she laughed loudly and almost tumbled from being dizzy. Náriel steadied her by her shoulders and laughed and shook her head slowly. Despite still being dizzy, Dís grabbed a hold of her hands again and commenced dancing. She only stopped however when she was promptly scooped up, this just caused her to squirm and laugh some more. Even more so when the person responsible was Thorin.

"May I cut in?" He asked while looking to his sister. "That's if you don't mind?" He queried when Dís sent a childish pout up at him.

"Well I suppose it's fine." Dís mused while wriggling out of his arms. She landed with a quiet thud on the ground and looked up at him.

"You don't sound sure there," Thorin crossed his arms and smiled down at his sister.

"Couldn't you go find another dance partner? Since when did you even dance?" Her eyes narrowed suspiciously up at Thorin. She was about to say something else only she found herself in someone else's arms again. This time it was Frerin, who smiled at both his sister and then at his brother.

"Thought you could use some help." He said while carrying Dís away, she wasn't too happy about being manhandled and let this be known as she commenced calling Frerin a string of childish names.

"May I have this dance, Princess?"

Náriel smiled and put her hand in his. "Of course you can." She said while being gently pulled closer. She put one hand on his shoulder, as the other hand linked her fingers with his. "Can I ask something of you?"

"This sounds serious," Thorin said trying to be light about the moment, Náriel just looked at him with a light frown. "What is it?" He asked quietly.

"Don't leave my side this evening, and when I am gone, don't lose contact. I want to stay in touch, Thorin, honestly I do."

Looking thoughtful he nodded slowly, "I think I can safely say I can do that."

"Thank you," Náriel smiled warmly while quickly throwing her arms around his neck. Squeezing her eyes shut she buried her face in the crook of his neck and hung loosely against him. Thorin's arms tightly wrapped around her waist and held onto her.

Growing hot from the dancing, Náriel sought air, soon standing on the balcony, Náriel's eyes glanced over the darkened surroundings. It didn't seem that long ago that she was admiring the golden glow of the setting sun. Now she stood looking over the cold dark of the night, and at the brightly shining stars. The moon brightly glowed casting a blanket of silver light over everything. The light of the moon illuminated Dale, the tops of the buildings shimmered in the night, glistening spots of dew coated the roofs. The same glistening moisture also laid across the leaves of the trees and the surrounding grass.

"I think I'll miss this view." Náriel said firmly while looking to the side.

Thorin leaned against the balcony stone rail and nodded slowly. "Just the view?" He smirked, he laughed lightly while she playfully shoved him on the shoulder.

"No." Náriel said while narrowing her eyes as he looked at her with a smug questionable look. "Everything."

"I meant it earlier, stay." Náriel rolled her eyes, "I know!" Thorin exclaimed impatiently before she could reply. "You can't. You made that clear."

"Maybe I can visit again?" Náriel smiled, it seemed to be the only ultimatum she could come up with. Thorin frowned and looked at her with a sidewards look. "What? I could, couldn't I?"

"You'll need to somehow pursued your uncle."

"Oh," Náriel said quietly and tapped a finger to her chin in thought. "You have a point there."

"But," he stood up and drummed his fingers against the stone rail. "You are always welcome here."

A smile appeared slowly on Náriel's face. Giving a nod, she looked up at the sky. "I would return the favour, but you don't want to visit Mirkwood. Honestly, you don't." Her eyes looked to him quickly. "Believe me. Stay here. Erebor is peaceful, pleasant and genuinely an all round nice place to be." Náriel smiled.

Thorin nodded thoughtfully. "It is, isn't it?"

"Yes." She nodded and gave a small sigh. They were both silent then. Somewhere below people were still mingling about. The farewell event had long since ended. But that didn't mean people had returned to their homes or their rooms. Some still stayed up conversing and walking about.

After getting told to be ready for early mid-morning, Náriel had watched as Thranduil, alongside Aranhi and Glandur, walked slowly and quietly away. Thus leaving her in the company of the surrounding dwarves at the time. But even they soon disappeared. Balin had reappeared and ended up almost dragging Dwalin away from the table he was seated at. Him and Glóin had commenced some sort of drinking competition, again. Glóin apparently wanted a rematch. His brother, Óin, who Náriel hadn't met previously had appeared to watch the spectacle with a curious gaze.

Even after all of this, it was Thorin who naturally pulled her aside. The two had walked through the quiet corridors talking now and again, or much like now, enjoying the silence. "What will you do when you return home? Surely not return immediately to spider hunting." Thorin said at length, he was curious really what home had in store for her.

Náriel smiled. "After a day riding, I don't think so." She shook her head and looked down at the darkened trees before them. "Most likely unpacking," she smiled and rolled her eyes. Unpacking, packing, it was tedious. "Then catching up with Legolas, I have missed him. Same goes for Tauriel."

Thorin looked at her curiously. "Friend?" He already knew of her cousin, but the other named elf he knew nothing of her.

"Yes, she is a dear friend, and she is Captain of the Elven Guard."

"So, that means that she is higher up than you." Thorin said thoughtfully.

Náriel raised an eyebrow. "Yes, and no, I guess. If she is above me then she is also above my cousin, and somehow I do not see that happening, or ending well..." Náriel trailed off thoughtfully, she looked like she was about to say something else but then just shook her head. "Never mind," she said though she was saying it in retort to nothing.

Giving a small shudder as a cool breeze appeared, she looked up us Thorin moved and stood behind her, he simply held onto her and leaned his head against hers. Turning in his grasp, Náriel nestled against him. She reached up and put her hands against his chest, she leaned her head against one of her hands and shut her eyes slowly. The cold which was niggling away at her had slowly disappeared thanks to the warmth which Thorin was giving.

With morning came a chilled light which came from behind grey clouds in the sky. The sun was being hidden by thick clouds which looked like they were readying to release their load. The cool light of the sun filtered slowly through the window, covering everything in a cold dismal shade of grey. Resistance also came with the drab weather. Náriel found that she couldn't move, or at least she could but she failed to fully sit up. Each time she tried to sit up she'd be tugged back down.

"You have to let me go." Náriel said with a frown, Thorin was pretending to be asleep, she could tell mainly because he had opened an eye a fraction to look at her moments ago. She laid in silence, eyes staring towards the door, it was still early, no one was going to come for her just yet. The pair of arms around her waist slowly tightened before they moved completely. Náriel sat up and turned to look down at him. Frowning, Thorin opened his eyes slowly and looked blankly up at her. "Good morning."

"Is it really a good morning?" He questioned while sitting up too. Pushing his hair out of his eyes he yawned quietly behind his hand and looked to her. "I'm wanting to say no."

"And I'm wanting to say, don't look on the downside." Náriel said while sitting in a kneeling position. Thorin clearly didn't agree with her, he looked towards the window and at the miserable weather which greeted them. He looked up though when she appeared in his line of vision. "I may go. But I believe we shall meet again." With this said she turned away and picked up her clothes to travel back in, she disappeared into the bathroom.

Thorin sat in silent thought for a few moments before she reappeared tying her hair up off of her neck. Standing slowly, he walked over and stopped in front of her. Náriel lowered her arms and smiled up at him. She tried to look as confident as she could for the moment despite not feeling too confident. "You best go before Aranhi or someone else comes to collect me." Náriel said while putting a hand on his arm and giving it a light squeeze. "You best not hide away when we say farewell to your father and grandfather. If you do, I will come and find you."

"I believe you would." Thorin said while moving from her side and walking towards the door. He looked over his shoulder at her. Giving her a small but hollow smile, he exited the room. Náriel sighed and hung her head. No one said that good bye was going to be easy.

"It has been most enjoyable having you here. I dearly hope that each of you have enjoyed your stay, and that if you are ever passing, you are welcome to stay again. The door shall always be open to you." Thrór said while standing in front of his throne and looking down at the elves kindly. They all stood straight backed and calm faced.

"You are and have been most kind, King Thrór," Thranduil's voice said quietly but strongly, he inclined his head and looked to the floor, only for his blue eyes to flick up at the dwarf-King in front of him. He didn't have much intention of returning back to Erebor once he was to leave. He looked to Náriel who stood blank faced by his side. He had no intention of letting her return either. For the both of them they had had enough of this place, whether she knew it or not, being here wasn't good for her.

"May I?" She asked quietly looking to him then to Thorin and then back again. Thranduil just nodded, she smiled lightly up at him and slowly walked towards Thorin. He stepped forwards away from his grandfather's side. After several more steps they stopped in front of each other. Náriel smiled, "Rasup gamut ai-menu," she whispered so only he could hear her.

"Rasup gamat," Thorin replied, while looking down at her with a small smile. Her pronunciation of Khuzdul had vastly outdone his Sindarin. He somehow managed to make something elegant into the opposite. Upon remembering this, he couldn't help but smile lightly. Náriel had laughed at him and stated that it didn't matter, learning a new language was bound to be hard and the more practice the better they'd both become. Náriel had seemingly stuck with the practice, he hadn't.

Stepping forwards she tiptoed slightly and wrapped her arms around his neck, shutting her eyes, she sighed quietly. "Raitho an glass, Thorin." She whispered and stepped back, though she kept her hands on his shoulders. "It means: try to be happy." Giving him one last warm smile she turned and walked back to her uncle's side. He had merely watched them with indifferent eyes, whereas Thrór and Thráin had seemed rather interested by their little moment.

"Náriel!" A voice exclaimed and rushed footsteps echoed throughout the space, Náriel turned just to collide with a small figure.

"Dís!" Her father exclaimed, it was clear she was not meant to be present and that he was not happy with her disobedience. Frerin appeared several moments later, out of breath and glaring at his sister. Náriel sighed and crouched down.

"You're meant to listen to your elders, Dís, you're not meant to go against their word." She glanced up as Frerin appeared by her side. "Though I give you credit for giving Frerin the run around."

"Do you mind?" Frerin asked dryly, still out of breath, his tone caused Thorin to shoot him a look. Rolling his eyes he put his hands on Dís's shoulders. "She just wished to say good bye. She didn't know when she'd next see you." Frerin explained.

"Soon, perhaps," Náriel smiled and gently wrapped her arms around the younger dwarf's shoulders. "It was a pleasure meeting you, Dís." Standing up she looked to Frerin, he looked a little apprehensive, sticking out a hand Náriel smiled. Shaking hands with Frerin was a good exchange as an embrace, she didn't want to accidentally embrace the poor teen. Looking over all three siblings she smiled. "Farewell to you all!" She said and looked up when Thranduil stepped by her side and put his hand gently on her shoulder.

"We must leave now if we are to return soon." He said quietly while looking down at her, Náriel merely smiled sadly and nodded. Turning alongside her uncle she reached behind herself and pulled up the hood of her travelling cloak. She did glance over her shoulder before the elven guards stepped into line behind her. She gave another light smile in Thorin's direction, which he responded to with a smile of his own and a slight bow of the head.

(Reedited: 25/Oct/2023)

Inventory:

Farewell to you - Rasup gamut ai-menu

Farewell - Rasup gamat 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Save Us By Agnes

Fanfiction

2.5K 52 29
She wasn't just any ordinary elf; she bore the weight of royalty, driven by a deep sense of responsibility and compassion. Thus, when a letter beckon...
179K 5.4K 38
Enmira is a half elven skin changer, that went through a lot in her early years. After an encounter with Gandalf, she sees the company that she needs...
12.2K 455 50
It is as though Ilwien seeks out trouble with the hope that, among it, she might find adventure, too. But one day, it is a dwarf they call Thorin Oak...
19.1K 387 38
Thorin Oakenshield hated elves. But she was something different. She was his only exception. 'I feel somewhat sad... that his hate for dwarves overpo...