Reversal (Camren/Norminah)

By ethereal1ty

It's 2016. This is Miami. We're both young, naive idiots who could never comprehend the dark underbelly of th... More

Prolouge: I Want You Forever
Chapter 1: Begin Again
Chapter 2: Retrieval
Chapter 3: Through the Flames
Chapter 4: Sexy is the New Black
Chapter 5: Sunset, Sunrise
Chapter 6: Attached
Chapter 7: Nightfall
Chapter 8: Let it Burn
Chapter 9: He Crazy
Chapter 10: The Deep, Dark, Downward
Chapter 11: Journals
Chapter 12: Write to Me Your Nightmares
Chapter 13: Alone
Chapter 14: An Anvil in the Ocean
Chapter 15: Twisted
Chapter 16: Midnight Madness
Chapter 17: Regrets Only
Chapter 18: The Choice Is Yours
Chapter 19: Dark Encounters
Chapter 20: A Place to Come Home To
Chapter 21: Through the Looking Glass
Chapter 22: The Silent Hill
Chapter 23: A Link Between Worlds
Chapter 24: The Field Hockey Escapades
Chapter 25: Handwritten
Chapter 26: The Aftertaste
Chapter 27: A Family Never Forgotten
Chapter 28: Runaway
Chapter 29: Strike to Kill
Chapter 30: Like Lightning
Chapter 31: The Hours
Chapter 32: Taken
Chapter 33: Wake Me Up
Chapter 34: Winterfall
Chapter 35: To Stand Firm
Chapter 36: Where There is Thunder
Chapter 37: A New Fire
Chapter 38: The Invasion Part I
Chapter 39: The Invasion Part II
Chapter 40: There is Always Lightning
Chapter 41: The Morning After
Chapter 42: Blades of Mercy
Chapter 43: Damage Control
Chapter 44: The Butterfly Effect
Chapter 45: This is Hell
Chapter 46: The Fire Keeper
Chapter 47: Retribution
Chapter 48: Born From a Battle Lost
Chapter 49: Ashes
Chapter 50: Aggression
Chapter 51: In the Dark of Night
Chapter 52: Shattered Memories
Chapter 53: To Turn Darkness Into Light, Turn Evil to Good
Chapter 55: Farewell, Best Friend
Chapter 56: Love Only
Chapter 57: Shackled Angels
Chapter 58: This is What it Takes
Chapter 59: Bound by the Flame
Chapter 60: Dawn
Chapter 61: Illuminate
Chapter 62: The Dragonfly's Butterfly
Chapter 63: Even When We're Not Together
Chapter 64: Reversal (Final)
Author's Note: Thank You :)

Chapter 54: Track No. 9

1.8K 103 16
By ethereal1ty

LIV.

Author's note: This chapter does not have any direct impact on Reversal. Its purpose is more to highlight the events of the past and emphasize the events of the present. It is canon, but if you'd prefer, it can be skipped/ignored without any loss of content or information in the main story. Do note that track #9 on Fifth Harmony's 7/27 is Scared of Happy and on Shawn Mendes' Illuminate is Honest.

November 8th, 2004

"Alright Cami." My mother told me, kneeling down and placing both her hands on my shoulders. "Now I hope this teaches you something. It's not okay to be disobeying your teachers and acting out in class just because you don't want to do something."

I refused to look her in the eye, gazing up a the ceiling with a childish eye-roll. "I don't want to do this."

"And I don't want to have to drive all the way down here on the weekend." She countered, taking my chin between her fingers and turning my head so I was forced to look her in the eye. "So I need you to be on your best behaviour today. I don't want to hear of any issues when your father comes back this afternoon to pick you up."

"Fine." I sighed, looking back at her with a shrug. "Can we have chicken fingers for dinner?"

My mother stood up. "Maybe this will give you a chance to not think about food for a moment." She muttered softly, placing her hand on my shoulder and guiding me towards the school's rounded auditorium. Tightening the straps around my backpack, I waved her an abysmal goodbye before being escorted off and lined up with the rest of the kids from class.

"Alright boys and girls, so what we're going to do is two full dress rehearsals of the entire play." An unfamiliar teacher announced at the front of the room. She had no microphone, the round shape of the room allowing her voice to be properly projected to all ears. "We'll take a quick break between them, then be done by mid afternoon. Everyone good with that?"

There was a soft chorus of nods and murmurs, then the woman vanished backstage. Each kid was then instructed to change into their all black drama outfit, and sit in a neat line along the bottom of the stage. I complied quietly, being handed a shrub made from cardboard and green paint on a larger than average popsicle stick. It was nothing special, but when placed with all the others in the line built the world's cutest kindergarten hedge.

I spent the first half of the dress rehearsal with my neck craned behind me to watch the story unfold. It was the Wizard of Oz, familiar from the number of times my mother had shown me the original movie on our old family television. It was disappointing to see the adorable white dog in the movie was replaced by a stuffed animal in the junior play.

By the second half, I was both tired, hungry, and bored beyond comprehension. The show had been stopped multiple times to make corrections and lay tape on the stage, and it was taking far longer than anticipated to get to the break. By the second time running through the discovery of the tin man, I decided to be proactive and occupy myself by the most creative means possible.

There was a boy sitting on my right, unfamiliar and likely from the other kindergarten class. He looked uncomfortable, sitting with his legs curled up to his chest and his own craft shrub between his fingers. Chin resting on his arms, he had a vacant, bored look on his face.

"Hi." I managed to whisper, glancing behind me to make sure nothing important was happening on stage. "What's your name?"

The boy didn't respond, maintaining his position and unmoving in every way. I frowned, tilting my head to the side and waiting for an answer to no avail. "Hello?" I questioned again, meeting his eyes. "Do you like... not talk or something?"

A few seconds later, the boy turned his head to me, unimpressed. "What?"

I blinked. "Why are you in a bad mood?"

"I'm not." The boy turned his head back so he was no longer looking me in the eye. "I'm just bored."

"Me too." I nibbled on the inside of my cheek. "Did you sign up for the play?" 

"No." The boy shook his head. "They made me do it."

"Oh, they made me do it as well." I mustered a smile, inching closer to him. "Why?"

"You tell me first." He glanced over, a hint of playful challenge in his eye. "Then I'll tell you." 

"No, you tell me first." I countered, placing my craft shrub down in my lap. "I asked you first."

"Fine." He rolled his eyes. "I lost some kid's truck down the drain in the street. He was being annoying, and I got mad."

I sat back, balancing my cheek down on my chin. "That's pretty mean."

"Yeah, well no one asked you." He frowned at me, then turned back to look ahead stoically.

"Don't you want to know why they made me do this too?" I questioned, ignoring his sour attitude and smiling wide. "It's really funny, I promise."

He looked over, lifting an unimpressed eyebrow. "Okay, then why?"

"I pulled the fire alarm."

The boy's eyes widened dramatically. "What? You pulled the alarm for real? Why?"

I laughed softly, trying to keep as quiet as possible with the drama happening on the stage above us. "Man, you're really easy to trick. I didn't pull the fire alarm, I just didn't want to use the stupid scissors they have in the classroom to make snowflakes."

"Oh." He scowled. "That's not funny."

"So what's your name?" I asked a second time, nudging him in the shoulder. "Who's your teacher?"

"Tell me your name first." The boy swatted me away. 

"No, I asked you first." I told him again, pleasantly entertained by the way he was clearly getting annoyed by my comebacks. "That means you have to tell me first."

"You're so annoying." The boy looked away. "Be quiet before someone hears us and we get in trouble again."

"I'm Camila." I nudged him again with an ignorant grin. "Now will you tell me?" 

"No." The boy turned back, his lip curled up in annoyance. "Can you be quiet?"

Little did I know that the question he posed would be one of millions to come. The rest of the play rehearsal was far more entertaining with a new friend, despite him being shy and only talking in one to two word replies to my questions. I learnt that he was in the other class, and his recess window was different than mine. He liked comic books with lots of pictures, listening to music with his newborn sister, and watching cartoons.

We were asked not once, but twice to keep quiet during the more intense scenes of the play, but rather than looking at me with irritation, Shawn smiled at me each time.

"I made a new friend." I announced to my father, climbing up into the backseat of the car and letting him do up the portable carseat. I wore a happy smile, much to his obvious surprise after spending half the weekend cooped up at the school. "He's really nice."

"He?" My father lifted an eyebrow. "Good for you Cami. What's his name?"

"Shawn."

September 7th, 2013

"Camila!" My mother called from the front door. "Hurry please or you're going to be late!"

"Alright, gosh." I jogged down the stairs, throwing my brand new backpack over one shoulder. Sofi was sitting on her booster seat at the kitchen table, playing with a bowl of dry cereal and spreading thin slices of apple around the plate in front of her. "Bye Sofi, I'll be back this afternoon okay? Have a good day at school."

"Bye Camila." Sofi tilted her head back with a smile, giving me a wave.

"Hurry Mila." My mother repeated, holding out a crisp ten dollar bill. "This is for lunch."

"Thanks." I took it, stuffing the money into my jacket pocket.

"Are you sure you don't want me or your father to walk you over? It's your first day, your sister and I would be happy to give you a ride."

"For the tenth time Mom, no it's fine." I pulled the bag up over my other shoulder. "I'm going to walk with Shawn, we planned it a while ago because he just got back into town from summer vacation. He went back home to visit his relatives in Canada, remember?"

The woman nodded. "I remember. We've planned dinner with his family next weekend, so we'll have a chance to catch up with them then."

"Sounds fun." I slid my feet into a pair of running shoes as a knock at the door cut into the conversation. My mother pulled it open, and in the doorway was standing a new version of my best friend. I was taken aback upon looking up, blinking at how much a summer had changed him.

"Hey." He gave us both a little wave. "Sorry I'm a little late, it's nice to see you Mrs. Cabello."

"Oh Shawn, no need to be so formal." My mother laughed it off. "It's lovely to see you too. You look tanned."

"Yeah, we spent a lot of time at our place on the lake, it was a really bright summer." The boy nodded, his voice far deeper than I remembered. He looked over at me, still smiling shyly. "Are you ready to go Mila?"

I caught myself staring. Shawn was dressed in a navy t-shirt and blue jeans, a black backpack over his shoulders and a book under his arm. He had grown at least a few inches from when he left, his jawline more sharp and defined, shoulders broad and arms more muscled. The boy had also gotten a haircut, and his features seemed more dark and mature. "I missed you." I told him, abandoning the tying of my left shoelace and heading over for a hug. He hugged back, the strength in his body almost foreign.

"I missed you too." He grinned upon pulling back. "Ready to do this? First day of freshman year."

"Not ready, but I guess we can go." I joked, finishing up on my shoe and heading out the door. "Bye mom!"

"Have a good day you two." The woman was smiling fondly. "Don't get into trouble please Camila. Let's try to start this new year off right."

"Got it mother." I rolled my eyes, taking Shawn by the hand and heading down the porch. It was a fifteen minute walk through the neighbourhood to get to the school, made easier by the immense amount of catchup the two of us needed to get through on all the happenings of the summer.

"Are you excited?" He asked, glancing down at me. "I am. I hear we get to dissect some pretty cool stuff in science class this year."

I snorted. "Since when are you interested in science?"

"Never said I was." Shawn shrugged. "I just really want to cut open a frog."

"Loser." I rolled my eyes. "So tell me what you did this summer."

"Uh..." The boy looked up, checking both ways before leading me across the street. "Well we went up north and saw some family. It was fun." 

I blinked. "Oh come on, something interesting must have happened."

"Nope, not really."

Frowning, I could almost hear the lie in his voice. "Shawn..." I stopped him, grabbing his arm. "What happened?"

"Nothing, I promise." The boy shrugged. "What about you? Did you guys do anything exciting?"

"We visited my Grandma in Palm Springs." I shrugged. "Sofi and I spent a lot of time outside, other than that nothing special." The two of us were close to approaching the building, parents and children of all ages were gathered in nearby parking lots to say goodbye to their children and speak with teachers. We continued to discuss the past few months upon walking through the massive double doors and migrating down the halls to our assigned lockers. The first day in a new building was far less stressful knowing that as with every year, we shared each together.

"Shawn Mendes!" A booming voice echoed behind us, and I turned around to see an unfamiliar brown haired boy standing with his arms folded and a huge grin on his face. "I heard what you did this summer dude, was it true?!"

"Shut up Cameron." Shawn muttered, turning his back to the seeming friend and tending to the lock.

"Oh come on, has she made you stay quiet?" The other boy asked, stepping forward and placing a heavy hand on Shawn's shoulder, shaking playfully. "This is awesome man, now you're one of us!"

"One of what?" I turned to my friend, frowning. "What is he talking about?" 

"Nothing." Shawn turned to the boy with a glare. "Get lost, we'll talk later."

"Whoa, have you not told her yet?" Cameron pointed at me. "Wait... I thought it was Camila! It was another girl?!"

"Get lost!" Shawn nearly shouted, spinning around angrily. I took a small step back, surprised at his intimidating outburst. Cameron rolled his eyes with a grin, nudging the boy in the shoulder before turning and trading down the hall. Once out of earshot, I placed my hand on the boy's shoulder and turned him to face me. "Shawn what was he talking about?" I asked softly. "What happened?"

"Nothing Camila." He had managed to open his locker, setting a few books inside from his bag. "Just drop it."

"Shawn Mendes, I heard you hooked up this summer!" A female voice had me turning around with a start. Dinah Jane stood directly behind us, her hair in honey coloured waves and an impressive layer of makeup on her face. "Who was the girl?!"

"Dinah!" Shawn whipped around. "What the hell!"

"You what...?" I greeted the girl with a hug while addressing him. "Is she serious?"

"Yeah." The boy's cheeks were turning a bright red, his eyes falling to the floor and hands disappearing into his pockets. "It was just a little thing, it didn't really mean anything."

I pressed my shoulder to the locker, giving him a smirk. "So who was she?"

"Just this girl up north." Shawn replied, not looking at me. "It really didn't mean anything, I don't really know what I was doing."

Dinah seemed giddy with excitement, while I maintained a cool outer composure while openly freaking out on the inside. "Shawn, this is a huge deal" I pressed, smiling at him. "Are you going to see her again? Where does she live? Is she nice? Would we like her?"

"No to all." The boy shook his head, looking up at me shyly. "It was nothing, and I'm probably never even going to see her again. Can we let it go please?"

Before either of us could reply, he had slung his bag over his shoulder and slammed his locker closed, turning and disappearing down the hall and into the crowd. Dinah turned to me, draping an arm over my shoulder. "You know, I never in my wildest dreams imagined that he would be the first of us to pull a non-virgin summer." She was shaking her head. "And is it just me, or did he get hot?"

I didn't reply, standing blank in the middle of the hallway as a crowd of freshmen filtered around me.

"Camila?"

I tilted my head to her. "Yeah... he did."

"Now do you think that was just a result of puberty, or did he actually get off the couch with the video games and go to the gym?" Dinah continued, her gaze still lingering on the end of the hall. The bell that denoted the start of the day was mid-ring, and the crowd was speeding up and thinning out.

"Let's go." I smirked, taking her by the arm and closing my own locker. Moments from heading to class, we were stopped by another stranger. It was a tanned boy, a year or two older than us wearing a red tank top and a black cap turned backwards. He had light eyes and a charming smile, the muscles in his arms large and well defined. "Um... hi?" I managed to croak, taken aback by his immediate handsomeness.

"Hey." He nodded. "Are you new?"

"Freshman." I corrected.

"Ah." The boy nodded. "Can I show you guys to class or anything? You know where you're going?"

"We're g-" I began, getting cut off when Dinah's hand landed hard on my shoulder. "Ow."

"She needs to find 205A." The girl talked over me, then nudged me towards him. "And she gets lost really easily. Like the family beagle."

"Dinah." I looked at her with a frown. "What are you-" 

"Bye!" She turned around, her hair hitting my in the face as she spun and stalked off in the other direction. The boy standing before us looked amused.

"I can show you the way." He shrugged. "I'm Austin."

"Sure, what the hell." I replied, taking him up on the offer. "Camila."

February 18th, 2015 - 7:38 PM

Shawn dreaded family gatherings. He hated that his second relatives seemed to keep getting divorced and re-married, and that he and his family had to trudge up to the ice cold Canada every time there was a new wedding. Worst of all, he hated that without fail, he would get picked on throughout the entire night by his same-aged cousins because he never managed to bring a date. And it wasn't the third grade teasing type bullying, but the passive aggressive judgement and cheesy nickname kind.

"Shawnie!" A deep voice boomed from across the banquet. "I hear you're the president of the chess club now, how is that?"

Shawn grimaced, setting down the glass of non-alcoholic champagne in his hand and turning to see a huddle of dreaded cousins approaching him. They all had girls on their arms, blonde haired, blue eyed and giggling from the forbidden alcohol that was circulating around on trays. "Not the chess club Brett, I work the AV club for the school plays."

"Same difference." The older boy grinned, draping an arm over his shoulder. "But it's going well yeah?"

"Sure." The boy slid away with an annoyed grunt, then gestured to the girl with him. "So who's this? What happened to Rebecca?"

"Oh we broke up a few months ago." Brett shrugged. "She decided she was into girls, and wasn't down for a threesome." The boy smirked. "This is Mandy."

"Hi." The girl smiled, looking Shawn up and down. "Aw, you're so cute."

"Thanks." Shawn muttered, not looking at her. "Appreciate it."

"So have you finally landed yourself a lucky girl?" Brett asked, giving him an unnecessary punch to the shoulder. Shawn rubbed at the spot, glaring at the boy.

"No. Why?" 

"Just wondering."

Straightening out his tie, Shawn took a deep breath and picked up his glass. "I'm going to go back to my table. Maybe I'll see you guys again."

"Aw, don't be like that Shawnie." Dylan, another cousin from one of his mother's multiple siblings gave him a teasing wave. "Let's catch up, it's been a while."

"It's been three months." Shawn had already turned to leave, eying his sister sitting alone at the table and playing with the variety of bracelets on her wrist. "I'll see you guys later."

"Shawn?"

Turning around, Shawn's chest tightened when he saw Camila standing by the table with a curious look in her eye. Panicking for a moment, he grabbed another glass of champagne. "Hey Mila, let's go sit down."

"Wait no, introduce me to your little friends here." Camila stalked forward, taking the glass and holding the stem between her fingers like an expert. She looked beautiful, more so than usual with her hair done in perfect waves, a layer of dark makeup that made her eyes stand out, and an elegant yet simple black dress. She had painted her nails a soft green, the colour matching an emerald hued pendant that hung around her neck and was pressed low against her chest.

"Whoa, who's this?" Brett asked, giving Camila an approving look. "Shawnie, I thought you said you didn't have a girlfriend?"

"He said that?" Camila cut in before Shawn could do as much as utter a word. "I don't know why he would, maybe I just embarrass him."

"What the-" Shawn looked at her in confusion, but Camila held her sultry gaze, her dark eyes lingering on him before drifting to his family. "Mila, what are you-"

"When did you guys get together?" Brett interrupted, seemingly asking Shawn, but looking at Camila for an answer.

"A few months ago." Camila replied with a devilish smile. She stepped forward, the sound of heels on polished floor sending a shiver up the boy's spine. Her arms then linked around him, one hand tightening in the fabric of the white button up shirt beneath his jacket. Her voice lowered, raspy and alluring. "He helped me set up some light and sound equipment for a drama project, and that jawline got me."

Shawn was unmoving, trying to process everything as it happened.

"Wow Shawnie, that's impressive." The boy across from them was nodding, looking Camila up and down in the most approving yet derogatory way possible. "You shouldn't be shying away from a treasure like that dude, show her off."

Camila laughed softly, the sound genuine to the outside ear but fake and disproving to Shawn, who had learnt of his best friend's mannerisms long ago. "Hey, I'm going to head back to the table, don't be long okay?" She asked of him, tilting her chin up and brushing her lips to the line of his jaw. "By the way I pickpocketed a room key from this business guy in the elevator, so if you want we've got a room to ourselves."

On the last syllable, Camila turned and stalked away, glancing over her shoulder with a flirtatious wink in Shawn's direction before she returned to the table. A strong hand came down on the boy's shoulder again.

"Dude! You were hiding that?!" Brett exclaimed in disbelief. "Holy shit, that is one gorgeous Latina!"

"I would be offended, but I have to admit that she is hot as hell." Mandy, the girl who had remained suspiciously silent through the entire exchange chimed in. The others were talking amongst themselves in agreement, most of their eyes following Camila's movements across the room. Shawn set the glass down carefully.

"I've got to go." He said briskly, turning around and receiving another slap to the back. "Talk to you guys later." 

"Yeah man." The boys were making approving noises. "Go get yourself some of that Spanish booty."

"Cuban." Shawn muttered through gritted teeth, turning and hurrying back to the table. Camila was taking a long sip from the flute of champagne, one eyebrow lifted in an amused smirk.

"That was fun." She chuckled. "Any other family members you want to kick in the nuts?"

Unease bubbled up in Shawn's gut, and before making the decision to join her, he turned around and stalked out of the room. The banquet hall was a large enclosed area, rotund and filled with off-orange lights. Meanwhile the rest of the hotel looked to be nothing special, a patterned red carpet leading out to the main lobby that was filled with families checking in and couples going to dinner.

"Shawn?" Camila's voice floated out to the main room as the boy took a seat on one of the smooth leather couches. "Hey, are you okay? What's wrong?"

"Why did you do that?" He scowled up at her, then looked away. "You didn't need to, I was handling things fine on my own." 

"What?" Camila sat down next to him, her hair gathered to one shoulder. "Wait, you're mad?"

"I'm not mad." Shawn corrected, loosening his tie and pinching the bridge of his nose as a headache came on. "I just wish you hadn't done that. Now I have to play it like we're together all night, and they're going to take pictures, and what the hell is Austin going to do to me if he finds out..." 

"Hey." Camila placed a hand on his arm. "This is a wedding in a different country, why does Austin have to find out?" She seemed concerned, but not because of his behaviour. "Shawn, what's going on?"

"I just..." He looked at her, finally making eye contact and feeling his disposition crumble beneath him. "You don't need to baby me. I could have dealt with them on my own, I always do." 

Camila frowned. "I thought you brought me here to help with that." She countered, straightening up. "Isn't that what you said?"

"I know what I said." Shawn shrugged, looking away again. "I don't know... I just realized how cheap and rude that was. I like having you here, you're not just some kind of arm candy."

"I know that's not what you think." Camila chuckled, scooting towards him and leaning on his shoulder. "And I would have come with you no matter how you offered. Although those guys all seemed like massive douchebags. No offence."

"They're the worst." Shawn mustered a small smile.

The brunette took his hand. "Then how about we go back in there, and we can take some pictures of you getting me all hot and bothered." She suggested playfully. "Also I saw a baked potato bar in there, and there's nothing stopping me from indulging in the beauty of it."

Shawn didn't move, and instead ran his fingers through his hair and pulled his hand away.

"Is something else bothering you?" The girl asked, shaking his knee. "You can talk to me."

"Are you happy with Austin?" He blurted out, looking at her desperately. "And you have to be honest."

Camila sat back. "Where is this coming from?" 

"Your face." Shawn's gaze intensified. "Dinah sees it, your parents see it, and I can sure as hell see it. Camila, if you're not happy in this relationship you have the right to walk away. We're going to be seniors next year, and if this isn't good for you then there's no point in letting it run your life. Your Mom needs you to be your absolute best, you know that."

"Are you jealous?" The girl appeared to have the reply locked and loaded.

"No." Shawn frowned. "I'm worried. Why, is it unusual to have someone worried about you?"

"I can handle myself." Camila got up. "End of story."

"You don't want to be happy?" Shawn looked up at her, taking the risk and speaking the very thing that had been plaguing him for the past year. "Is that it? Are you scared? With everything that's happening you just don't feel like you deserve it?"

"Enough." Camila turned around, anger painted on her face. "Are you going to come back inside or not?"

"No." Shawn felt his chest thump with sadness and anger as he ripped off his tie and threw it down on the couch. "I'm just trying to be honest with you, the way we always are with each other and you refuse tot tell me the truth."

"What truth do you want Shawn?" Camila blurted out, spinning around. "That I'm okay? That I don't need a distraction while my family falls apart? I needed this trip with you to get my mind off everything, and you're not helping!"

Blinded by anger and frustration, the boy turned around and started towards the exit of the hotel.

"Where the hell are you going?!" Camila exclaimed. "You're just going to leave?"

"It works pretty well for you." Shawn told her over his shoulder. "I guess I learn from the best."

"What am I going to tell your parents?"

"You'll figure something out." The boy felt bile rise up in his throat at the thought of returning to Miami only to have Camila rush back into the football player's arms. "You always do."

February 18th, 2015 - 9:17 PM

Burning from the cold, Shawn had eventually returned to the hotel and migrated back to the shared room. The main festivities were long over, but the wedding itself seemed to be going strong in the main banquet area. Hoping that Camila was still enjoying the aftermath, Shawn took to the elevators and pulled his room key from the breast pocket of his shirt. Before he managed to insert the key however, he noticed his tie was draped over the outer handle of the door. Grimacing in anger at the universal symbol for sex, the boy shouldered his way inside and prepared to give a thorough beating to whoever Camila had managed to bring home.

But the room was empty. Their things were strayed left and right, the beds were made, and the bathroom door was closed. Walking over, Shawn reaffirmed his anger when the sound of the shower echoed through the door.

Tearing off his shirt and changing into a pair of grey sweatpants, the boy sat back against the headboard and faced the bathroom door, waiting to greet whatever poison was likely to step out of the shower with Camila. He was taken aback when she emerged alone. There was a thin layer of water across her shoulder blades, her hair damp and face makeup-free.

"You're back, thank god." Camila tightened the towel around her body and hurried over. "Shawn, I'm sorry."

"No need." The boy sighed in relief and slid down to rest against the pillows, turning over. "You can run your life any way you want, I was a jerk."

"You were right." Camila inhaled deeply, placing a hand on his arm. "I'm not happy with him."

Turning over, Shawn sat up. "Then why are you-" 

"Because I'm scared." Camila's arms wound around her torso. "My life is starting to crumble, and I need as much consistency as I can get." Her eyes started to glisten, and Shawn swore silently when he recalled how much it hurt him to see her cry. "But I'm not happy, and I need to end things before they get more serious."

The boy smiled gently, sliding off the bed and gathering a quick set of Camila's familiar pyjamas, handing them to her and turning away. He then peeled back the covers of the bed, letting her slid beneath the sheets and huddle close.

"You'll find someone who brings you real consistency." The boy assured her, breathing steadily. "I promise."

"I'm not strong enough." Camila murmured, nestling as close as possible as if she was trying to hide herself. "Not strong enough to help my Mom, to support Sofi, to reassure my Dad. I can't do it."

"Maybe not." Shawn felt electricity trickle through him as her breath rose goosebumps against his neck. "But one day you will be. I know it."

As she drifted off to sleep, the boy stared up at the ceiling at a loss for further words. He knew very well that he was guilty of the exact same emotions as she was. For two young tweens who had pledged years ago to always be fearless as long as they had each other, things had really changed.

I'm not strong enough. Shawn told himself silently. I'm scared. I need you to find the right person, and I need you to find them now. There's no one else who could possibly love you as much as I do, right? It has to be me.

Fast asleep, Camila seemed at peace. Shawn wanted that to be the case always, and was willing to do whatever he could to make it a reality. The boy knew how to make sacrifices for the people he cared about. He knew how to feel compassion. How to give his all to someone and ask for nothing in return.

I'm terrified it might be me.

***

A/N: I wrote this literally in the last two hours and slotted it in, so if it's crap then I apologize. I've spent the last two weeks knowing I needed some kind of Shawn/Camila flashback just to show how strong their relationship was, I just couldn't figure out something suitable until just now.

It's interesting, he was prepared to do anything for Camila, yet sacrificed himself for Lauren. He was clearly confused about his romantic/platonic feelings for Camila, yet never felt romantic feelings for Lauren and instead treated her like a role model. I like how dynamic Shawn's character has become, the things he stands for, the lengths he goes for his friends. He's definitely a character I'm proud of. Thanks for reading, now back to the main story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

471K 6.8K 7
A collection of original Camren & Norminah one shots (plot-heavy STEAMY stories). **PLEASE DO NOT COPY/REPOST/REPRODUCE MY WORK. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED...
189K 5.3K 53
"He will protect her life. She will protect his heart." You were perfectly happy with your life. So what if you beat up people? So what if you were t...
147K 3.7K 21
I'd kill for her. I wonder if she'd do the same. [g!p] Also at some point this turned into a Camren/you which I didn't plan. I didn't see it coming i...
237K 7.6K 23
Lauren's parents were murdered when she was just fifteen years old. At school she is the badass who stays by herself, till one day of her senior year...