Prove It

By makenziecarmichael

Sierra knew Tristan was the one from the first day she laid eyes on him. He had light brown hair, the most un... More

Prove It
Chapter 1 Part 2
Chapter 1 Part 3
Chapter 1 Part 4
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 4 Part 2
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31

Chapter 19

32.6K 1K 256
By makenziecarmichael

************Tristan*************

Tristan jabbed at the fish on his plate with his fork as his family conversed at the dinner table. Their chatter was a distant murmur as his mind drifted. He reached for his glass and began to swirl the clear liquid around in the cup. The swishing movements reminded him of the pool and made him think of Sierra.

He grinned stupidly to himself as he remembered her face when he swam away from her. She probably thought he was insane leaving her in the deep end when she couldn’t swim but he was following his gut. What she didn’t know that he was just as scared as she was. There were no words to describe what he felt when she disappeared below the water’s surface. It was an emotion beyond fear. His heart was pounding so hard it threatened to punch a hole right through his chest. She trusted him to take care of her and if anything had happened to her … he wouldn’t have been able to deal.

Sierra was a lot tougher and way more determined than she gave herself credit for, but Tristan knew she could do it so he took a chance.  And, luckily, it paid off. She inspired him every minute they spent together. She made him want to swim a million laps just to impress her and have her look at him the way she did today everyday.

Everyday? The word echoed in his mind. It sounded a lot like forever. Was that where they were headed? Did he want her forever?

His mother’s voice tore him from his thoughts.

“… seen your sister. She was phenomenal. Fortunately, your father got it on video.”

He lifted his head from his glass and saw all eyes were on him. They were talking to him? Luckily he caught the tail end of the conversation.

“I’m sorry I missed it, sis. I’ll be there next time, I promise.”

“You better,” Jillian said.

He smiled. “Hmmm,” he answered, his tone distant. His focus was back on the glass in his hand.

He made frequent noncommittal sounds in a weak attempt to remain part of the interaction, but his mind quickly drifted back to the object of his affection. Thinking about Sierra was becoming his default state of mind. He was obsessed. And not being with her felt like torture.

He didn’t get enough time with her. His family came home soon after he righted Sierra’s clothes. Jillian was so happy to see her. She got her clothes wet hugging Sierra before she got a chance to dry off and change. That’s how close they were to getting caught. He shouldn’t have taken the risk, but he was only human.

He wanted to be with her right now but he’d just have to settle for calling her.

“May I be excused?” Tristan blurted out. The table conversation stopped at his outburst.

“You’ve barely eaten anything,” his mother noted.

“I’m not very hungry. I ate with Sierra earlier when I took her home.”

His father gave him a look that was an odd mix of concern and amusement. Tristan saw that look from his father a lot lately, especially at any mention of Sierra. When his father finally gave his permission, Tristan tugged Jillian’s hair playfully before leaving the table and flying up the stairs to his room. He dialed Sierra as soon as he found his phone. She picked up on the second ring.

“Hi,” she answered. Her sweet voice eased his nerves instantly.

“Hi,” he echoed. “How are you?”

“I don’t know. Okay, I guess.”

That wasn’t what he was hoping to hear. “What do you mean?”

“I just feel restless. It’s weird. I mean I’m tired and my muscles ache everywhere after all those drills we did and … everything that happened after.” Tristan could hear the smile in her voice and he relaxed a little. “But I still feel energized. I feel like I could run a marathon right now and I’d still too hyped up to sleep tonight.” She released a nervous laugh. “Do I sound crazy?”

“No, you don’t sound crazy. I feel the exact same way.” He was definitely feeling a surge of anxious energy just by talking to her, but it was at an all time high after this afternoon. It was nice to know she was feeling it too.

After a short pause she asked, “Are you okay about what happened? You didn’t say much afterward and I was worried that you regretted it.”

Regretted it? She couldn’t have been more off the mark. If she were here she would see the obvious signs of his need for more. He was far from satisfied.

“If I regret anything, Sierra, it’s not being able to finish what we started. I felt rushed and it shouldn’t have happened that way. I’m never more irresponsible and impulsive than when I’m with you.”

“Irresponsible and impulsive? Really? You always seem cool and collected. I’m the one that’s out of control. I practically threw myself at you at Tia’s party and then today in the pool. The things I let you do…” her voice trailed off.

Tristan knew what she meant. Where was the sweet innocent girl he imagined when they first met? Innocent was the last thing he thought of when Sierra crossed his mind. She was full of heat and so goddamned responsive. He shook his thoughts off as they started to take a dark turn. Maybe they were both out of control.

“We’re a bad influence on each other,” he reasoned.

“That can’t be good.”

“But it could be a lot of fun.”

She laughed.

“I miss you,” she revealed quietly.

He fell back onto his bed and smiled. “I miss you, too.” He imagined Sierra was there next to him. He rested his head on a pillow and pretended he was lying on her softness. “I wish you could stay here with me.”

Sierra laughed again. “You sound like Jillian.”

“I’d be offended but I think you’re right. You cast a spell on my entire family.”

“I hope you’re right. I’m not sure what your parents will think about us dating.”

“Why are you worried about that? My parents love you.”

“I don’t know. I think they’re nice to me because our fathers work together. And even if they do like me, it’s one thing to teach your black friend to swim in your pool, it’s another thing to make her your girlfriend.”

At first, Tristan wasn’t sure where this was coming from. Why would his parents care that his girlfriend was black? It was difficult for him to think about because to him, Sierra had no color. It wasn’t that he didn’t notice or that he was ignoring the obvious, but it just didn’t matter. He assumed that his family felt the same.

But his parents were from a different generation. Maybe he should consider the possibility that they wouldn’t approve of him dating outside of his race. It wouldn’t really change anything if they did have a problem with it. He wouldn’t stop seeing Sierra.

Honestly, he liked the differences between them. Her skin, her hair, her eyes, the way she talked, her voice. The contrast was sexy to him. He discovered a few more differences between her and other girls today during their interlude in the pool when he finally saw all of her and he liked everything he learned.

He thought about everything he would have missed out on with Sierra if he ran from his feelings like he planned. No late night phone calls. No waking up next to her after she passed out drunk the night before. No more teasing. No R-rated swim lessons that make his blood boil and his body burn for hours after she’s gone. He would have lost his best friend. And it would have been the biggest mistake of his life.

She was so much more than the color of her skin and if his parents couldn’t see that, then it was their loss. But the idea that his parents would reject Sierra just because she wasn’t white just didn’t sit right with him. He didn’t believe it and he wanted to reassure her.

“I wouldn’t worry about my parents. They raised me to be respectful and considerate of others and I don’t think they are hypocrites. Besides, I think they already suspect how I feel about you.”

“What makes you say that? Did they say something?”

“It’s just a feeling. My father has been giving me weird looks lately. And I think my mother knew before I did. It was something she said a while back when you were at my house and she left us alone for the first time.” He remembered that talk he had with his mother very well as she made him promise to behave before she would leave him alone with Sierra and now that he thought about it, he was sure his mother knew exactly how he felt, even back then. “I think they would have said something by now if they had a problem with us being a couple.”

“Okay.” Her tone held a note of disbelief and he knew she wasn’t convinced, but he decided to let it go. They could talk about it more later if she was really concerned but he had something more pressing on his mind.

“When will I see you again?” He hoped he didn’t sound as desperate as he felt.

“Umm, I’m pretty sure you’ll see me at school tomorrow, Tristan.”

“That’s not what I meant.” And he was pretty sure she knew that. “I want to spend some more time alone with you.”

She breathed lightly into the phone for a moment. Then she said, “You could come over to my place after school.”

“When?”

“My dad will be gone overnight on Thursday.”

Not soon enough. Not even close. “I need to see you before then.”

“You can still come over, but we won’t exactly be alone.”

“Anything has to be better than being at my house with Jillian.”

“I don’t mind if Jillian is there.”

“No? I thought you’d want a bit more privacy when I make you come again.”

He had to cover his phone while he laughed at her soft gasp. Maybe she really was as innocent as he thought. He was going to have so much fun with her.

“Did you seriously just say that?”

“Too soon?” he teased.

“Yes, way too soon.”

He didn’t bother to hide his chuckle this time.

“Seriously, though, we need to hang out at your house. I was grounded for a long time after that stupid fight and I need a change of scenery.”

“I just have to let my dad know you’re coming over.”

“I could talk to him when I come to pick you up for school tomorrow.”

“When did we decide that you were picking me up tomorrow?”

“Did I forget to mention that? I’ll be picking you up for school tomorrow and pretty much everyday after that.”

“What if I don’t want you to pick me up?”

“Then I’ll just follow you to school in my car.”

“You wouldn’t.”

Is that what she thought? “How well do you really know me, Sierra?” he asked. Her silence told him everything he needed to know. She probably had some imaginary version of him in her head the same way he had of her. Maybe it was time to fill her in on a few things about him. “Now that we’re together, I’m going to take care of you and I need to know that you’re safe no matter what.”

“So, you’re overprotective? What else don’t I know about you?”

“Don’t worry, I plan on letting you get to know me very well in the near future.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sierra~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sierra watched Tristan pull into her driveway from her bedroom window. He stepped out of his car and walked to her front door looking like something straight out of her dreams. The morning sun beamed down on him, revealing gold streaks in his light brown hair and adding a subtle glow to his tanned skin. Her eyes followed him as he strode to her door easily and rang the doorbell.

He’d picked her up from her house a million times so there was no excuse for the butterflies that danced around in her belly.

Get it together, girl. He’s the same old Tristan.

Except, he wasn’t the same old Tristan. He was her boyfriend now. And she let him get to third base, which meant he knew more about her than anyone.

The doorbell rang again.

Sierra decided she was being silly. She took a steady breath, grabbed her school bag and went to greet her man. She pulled the door open and was greeted by the sexiest smile and her favorite green eyes. It was unnerving how it made her feel seeing him look at her like she was his everything. No more wishing that she could act on her feelings and no more hoping that he noticed her. He was hers and she could do anything she wanted with him and that made her feel powerful. Her eyes drifted to his mouth.

“I want you,” she told him.

“What are you going to do about it?” he challenged.

She reached for him and grabbed handfuls of his hair. The fine strands felt like silk beneath her fingers as she drew his face down toward hers. He had no problem following her lead, he moved to her willingly. She pressed her lips against his waiting mouth and he groaned at the contact. He stepped closer effectively erasing any space between their bodies. He closed his arms around her waist and kissed her back like he was starving for her. His hands moved up and down along her back and cupped her ass lifting her slightly.

“Do we have to go to school today?” she asked against his mouth.

“Don’t leave that decision up to me. I can’t be trusted right now.”

She sucked his bottom lip into her mouth one last time before releasing her hold on his hair. He stayed pressed against her and breathed heavily. He looked like he was still ready for more. He turned away and rested his head on her shoulder. His breaths felt hot against her neck and she felt her own breathing accelerate. She felt surrounded by him in the best way. They needed to leave soon, or they weren’t going anywhere today.

She waited for his breathing to slow and when it did, he raised his head. His eyes seem to burn through her. She looked away.

“Ready?” she asked, her voice shaky.

“Not really.” He stepped back from her with his eyes closed. Then he opened them and held out his hand. “Okay, let’s go.”

--------------------------------------

Tristan walked into the school building with his arm around Sierra’s shoulders. They stopped at their lockers and Sierra began to put in her combination. Tristan didn’t need anything so he just waited for her.

Sierra exchanged her books lazily. She was reluctant to part ways. She didn’t have any classes together so it’d be a while before she saw Tristan again and she felt the separation anxiety begin to creep up.

“I’ll meet you for lunch,” he said as if he sensed her unease. The bell signaled the beginning of first period. Tristan put a hand on her cheek and rubbed his lips against hers. “I’ll see you soon,” he whispered before stealing one more kiss and walking away.

Tia walked over and leaned against Tristan’s locker. “Wow.”

Sierra sighed dreamily. “I know.”

“It’s about damn time. I was starting to think you two were a lost cause.”

“I started to think that, too. I still can’t believe it sometimes. I feel like I’m living in a fantasy world.”

“I’m so happy for you. And now that you’ve had your time to bask in the afterglow and all that, I need details. Leave nothing out.”

Sierra smiled widely and babbled eagerly to her friend revealing everything from what happened at the party right up until her swimming lesson yesterday.

“Ooh, you little freaky freak,” Tia teased and Sierra’s skin flamed with her blush. She hated her friend so much sometimes.

“My baby is finally growing up.” Tia proclaimed proudly. She wrapped an arm around Sierra’s shoulder as they walked to class. “I had my doubts about Tristan but just seeing the way you look right now, I know you made the right choice. I mean you’re actually glowing. I didn’t even know that people could glow in real life.”

“Me either,” Sierra laughed. “I love him. I couldn’t be with anyone else.”

“I see that now. It won’t be easy, though. Some people won’t get it.”

“I know people are going to judge us. I’m just glad that you wont be one of them.”

Tia stopped walking and looked Sierra in the eyes. Her playful demeanor was gone.

“You never have to worry about that. You could be dating a Martian for all I care. It would be weird and I’d make fun of you every chance I got, but I won’t ever look down on you for following your heart. Actually, I kinda admire you for going after what you want.”

“Wait a minute, could you repeat that? I don’t think I heard you right. It sounded like you said you admire me.”

Tia shoved Sierra jokingly and the pair giggled.

“You know I do. I wouldn’t be friends with your sensitive, needy behind if I didn’t.”

Sierra knew her friend liked to joke around but she knew Tia was serious and she was surprised by her words. Sierra always wished she was more like her confident, fearless, outgoing friend. She never thought for a second there were things Tia admired about her.

“Come on, we’re gonna be late after all that PDA you had going on in the hallway.”

Sierra rolled her eyes at Tia. Nothing was going to bring her down from her high. Except maybe locking eyes with Reggie at that exact moment and knowing that the look on his face meant that Tia wasn’t the only one who saw the kiss.

Why was everything so complicated?

-------------------------------------------------

A/N:

I love my readers. Everyone who kept asking about updates are the reason why this chapter was possible. There are no words to explain the stress in my life at the moment and I just couldn't get my ish together to sit down and write. So thank you all for the support and encouragement.

I've been asked to show pics of the characters and I have mixed feelings about that so I'm going to leave it up to you all. I don't want to ruin anyone's vision of what these guys look like, but if you want to see who I visulaize when I'm writing these lovebirds, just let me know and if I get a big enough response I'll post some stuff.

Thanks guys!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

570K 17.4K 49
Arianna Taylor, you would she has it easy. Coming from the family of the well-respected Taylor's. The grass isn't always greener on the other side...
427K 16.1K 64
No he can't be serious, this ain't his house......... I forgot his name- any who, this man was beyond good looks. I don't usually look at white men l...
248K 9.2K 43
Highest rank: 265 28/1/17 ______ When Jeremy walked into his new school, his eyes and Casey never left each other. But the thing is, they keep tell...
414K 10.5K 41
***Interracial Romance*** ***Sexual Content*** Maxx, a middle class good girl who never dares step into trouble and Daniel, a rich bad boy that has...