Ursula's Beginning

By RachelShubert

2018 Wattys winner and Belle Ame Award winner in the Fan Fiction category. Reached #1 in thelittlemermaid, ba... More

Pt. I--1. Talent that I always have possessed
2. But there's something about her
3. They come flocking to my cauldron
4. Looks like the boy's too shy
5. One might question your upbringing
6. Now's your moment
7. Mysterious fathoms below
Pt. II--8. You dream about going up there
9. He's quite a catch, isn't he?
10. Working out according to my ultimate design
11. Treasures Untold
11. Treasures Untold (continued)
12. The importance of body language
12. The importance of body language (continued)
13. We musn't lurk in doorways
13. We musn't lurk in doorways (continued)
14. It's she who holds her tongue who gets her man
14. It's she who holds her tongue who gets her man (continued)
15. You can't get something for nothing, you know
16. My dear, I'll look divine
17. Yes, you want her (look at her, you know you do)
19. Just a token really, a trifle
19. Just a token really, a trifle (continued)
20. Look at this stuff--isn't it neat?
20. Look at this stuff--isn't it neat? (continued)
21. Headstrong, lovesick girl
21. Headstrong, lovesick girl (continued)
22. I fortunately know a little magic
22. I fortunately know a little magic (continued)
23. Look at this trove
23. Look at this trove (continued)
24. I'm afraid I had to rake 'em 'cross the coals
24. I'm afraid I had to rake 'em 'cross the coals (continued)
Pt. III--25. I don't know when, I don't know how
25. I don't know when, I don't know how (continued)
26. But I know something's starting right now
26. But I know something's starting right now (continued)
27. I want more
28. What would I give to live where you are
Author's note
29. Fantastical Feasts
30. When I lived in the palace
30. When I lived in the palace (continued)
31. Dote and swoon and fawn
32. So much for true love
32. So much for true love (continued)
33. A Tale of the Bottomless Blue
33. A tale of the bottomless blue (continued)
34. Miserable, Lonely, and Depressed
Pt. IV--35. Repented, Seen the Light, and Made a Switch
35. Repented, Seen the Light, and Made a Switch (continued)
36. Sure, she's got everything
37. She has a very serious problem
38. Sure I've had the odd complaint
39. Soon I'll have that little mermaid
40. And the ocean will be mine
A note from the author

18. Horatio Thelonious Ignacious Crustaceous Sebastian

791 82 29
By RachelShubert

Ursula jerked out of a nightmare and stared at her bedroom ceiling, feeling her heart thundering in her chest. Since her special night with Triton, she had been having the same dream over and over again: the miserable kelp creatures from Siddikah's garden turned into eels, wriggled free, and chased Ursula endlessly, pleading that she look at them.

For the first couple of days after the Transformation, Ursula was ambivalent about changing again so soon. Their time together had been heaven, and switching back to her regular form had been hell. But a question kept nagging at her: how would she ever learn to do her own Transformations without observing Siddikah at work several more times? Without figuring out every last detail, from supplies to incantations to everything in between?

Then midweek, the golden-haired prince looked her up early in the morning at the temple to renew his protection charm. Locked into a private meeting room together for almost an hour, it was clear they were safe from everything but one another. That encounter swiftly resolved the question for Ursula: yes, she would meet him as originally planned. And any amount of pain would be worth it.

***

Siddikah was not pleased to see Ursula back so soon. She didn't ask how her first night with Triton had gone a week ago. She didn't inquire after Barry, even jokingly. She was cold, but didn't bring up the subject of payment. Unnerved, Ursula didn't broach the topic either.

"Turning back into a cecaelia will take six hours this time," Siddikah said as they headed toward her casting room.

"Why?! I'm only getting three hours as a mermaid, aren't I? Why is it different this time?"

Siddikah wheeled around, eyes flashing angrily. "I'm not choosing this, you are! I warned you that changing for someone else is very painful, did I not? And each time you do it, it becomes harder to return to your true self. That is natural law, Ursula. The next time you want to be a mermaid for three hours, the recovery will last nine hours instead of six. And there's nothing I can do about that," she snapped, turning back around.

Really, there's NOTHING you can do about it? Ursula fumed. I doubt that. Perhaps the pain endured was all the payment Siddikah really wanted from her; maybe that's why there was no other price mentioned or extracted tonight. It's not as if Ursula had brought the witch new insider information about Atlantica's royal family.

The tension was terrible; Ursula struggled with how to alleviate it. As Siddikah withdrew supplies from various chests and cabinets, Ursula took a shaky breath and forced herself to speak.

"So, uh, how is Planete?"

Siddikah sighed. "He's fine. He's out gathering some things for me at the moment." The sorceress glanced at Ursula and her expression softened at the sight of the girl's nervous face.

Ursula saw that and pressed on. "Siddikah, I didn't get to thank you for doing such a marvelous job last time. I should have done so as soon as I saw you tonight, before saying anything else."

"It's alright, minnow. It's all fine." The elder cecaelia sounded weary. She was holding a glass globe in her hand, and inside was one of those curious winged things. This one had a different pattern and coloring than the last one Ursula had seen.

Ursula looked pointedly at the globe. "So...what kinds of things does Planete gather for you?"

"Is that your way of asking me what this is?" Siddikah held out the ball so Ursula could look more closely at the entrapped animal.

"Actually, yes."

The Squid Witch snatched the orb back in a taunting manner. "And why should you want to know?"

"Just curious if it's some kind of land animal. It's nothing like I've seen in the ocean." Ursula tried to sound casual.

Siddikah smirked. "Indeed it is. And that's enough chit-chat. I have work to do."

***

"We have to stop now," Ursula panted, rolling herself away from Triton. Her movements as a mermaid were effortlessly—even unintentionally—sensual. She looked as beguiling now as she had the first time; Siddikah's sour mood had not caused her to hold anything back.

"Must we?"

"Yes! We are leaving more time for conversation this evening, remember?"

Triton lunged for her. "Talking is overrated."

Ursula evaded him; the cave was large enough for such games. "Spoken like a true merman."

"At least let me hold you," Triton said.

Ursula settled into his arms. She couldn't imagine a more blissful place in the entire ocean than Triton's arms.

"You know, I'm always wondering what's going on in the palace," she began.

"I'm glad to hear that, because I constantly wonder the same thing about the temple."

She pecked him on the lips. "You first."

Triton shrugged. "We stay out of each other's way, for the most part. The staff has more work as a result...you know, having to serve two or three separate meals instead of one. Dining together doesn't go very well."

"So it's quiet within those walls?" Ursula asked.

"Strangely quiet." Triton was absentmindedly playing with her pearl necklaces, twisting the strands gently around his fingers, then dropping them onto her fair-skinned chest.

"What's Alphon doing to prepare for the hearing?"

"No idea," answered Triton.

"How will you be making your case against him at the hearing?"

"We are still figuring that out. Ganeon says we have plenty of time to plan all that. Right now, the focus is on teaching me history so I can appear knowledgeable before the Council about the relationships between Atlantica and the other kingdoms. And I need to know about their relationships with one another as well. Ganeon says the Elders will choose whomever they believe has other kingdoms' interests at heart—not who has the best character, not who is best for Atlantica, but who is best for the entire ocean."

"And you certainly are, darling."

"I hope so. I mean, I do feel I have a better character than Alphon and that I will behave in a way that preserves Atlantica's dignity if installed on the throne. But when it comes to being better for the entire ocean? Who can say?"

"I can say."

They settled into silence, marinating in Ursula's confident statement for awhile.

"Is it quiet in the temple these days?" Triton whispered.

"Honestly, no. The workload is heavy right now. There's an odd surge in animal attacks and no one knows why."

"I've been hearing lots of stories about that kind of thing lately."

"Yes, it's unnerving. Do be careful, wherever you are." Ursula reached up to caress Triton's cheek.

"I will be. And while we're on the topic of animal attacks, I'm glad you got rid of that barracuda. He had a shifty look to him. What was his name again? Buddy?"

"Barely."

"Was that it?" Triton looked confused.

"It doesn't matter. I'm done with pets," Ursula declared.

"You say that, but I know you have a soft spot for animals. You could have baby piranhas in your hair right now, for all I know."

Ursula threw back her head and laughed heartily. The Transformation had softened the points of her rear fang-like teeth, but they still had a distinctive shape. "Alright, you got me. I do love baby animals."

"I must admit I am fascinated by this little animal I met recently," Triton said.

"Oh? What kind of baby is it?"

"It's not a baby. It's a sapient crab, an adult one, but small in stature. He's an envoy from The Caribbean."

"What his name?" Ursula asked.

"His papers say he is called Sebastian. But since arriving two days ago, he's not uttered one word, not even his name. He bows, he pulls scrolls from his shell, he's the most obliging little fellow. But if I hadn't caught him humming this morning, I'd have believed The Caribbean sent a mute messenger."

"How interesting. Have all the kingdoms responded to the letters that were dispatched about the challenge?"

"Yes. Their envoys come, deliver papers, and leave promptly. Except for Sebastian. He's just hanging about and shows no sign of leaving. I keep meaning to ask Ganeon if their customs are different somehow...is he expecting something specific from us before he can take his leave?"

"I don't know. It could be that, or it could be that he doesn't want to go back home for some reason," Ursula said.

"I have wondered about that too. Anyway, I wish you could have heard this lively tune he was singing to himself! I've never heard anything like it!"

Ursula was amused. "I didn't know you were a lover of music, Prince Triton."

"Oh, I adore it! I'm in awe of anyone with musical talent, for the simple reason that I have none." He grinned.

Ursula gave him a sultry look. "You have so many other talents, though."

***

Ursula got Triton out of the cave just in time, and the six hours that followed were indescribable agony. The lovers had agreed to meet in two weeks; Ursula didn't want to risk Siddikah's wrath by coming around any sooner than that, though Triton knew nothing of this. But as she toiled through hours four, five, and six of the change back to self, she experienced her first doubts about Transforming ever again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 1.1K 20
Once upon a time, there's a lady whose dream is to be able to freely explore the vast ocean and the outside world, and a royal sorcerer who is determ...
8.6K 1.1K 45
Agnes Allore's passions are simple: music, first and foremost, rules her heart. Second comes her best friend Daniel, a servant boy. As a girl, Agnes...
99.3K 1.4K 8
A well written collection of romantic second person narrative (Character X Reader) featuring one of Disney's most infamous female villains that since...
178K 4.9K 34
I'll tell you a tale of the bottomless sea, and it's hay to the starboard, heave-ho. Lookout lass, a merman be waiting for you. In mysterious fathoms...