Rare Blood

By ShelbyAnne

If you were being hunted by Vampires, could you trust one to protect you? Twenty-year-old Faye Porter will... More

Chapter One: Fate
Chapter Two: An Old Friend
Chapter Three: Introductions
Chapter Five: One night in Satin
Chapter Six: Waiting
Chapter Seven: Blood Bank
Chapter Eight: Sweet Dreams
Chapter Nine: Company
Chapter Ten: Good Intentions
Chapter Eleven: Something Special
Chapter Twelve: It's no Myth
Chapter Thirteen: A Promise
Chapter Fourteen: Tinted Green
Chapter Fifteen: Revelations
Chapter Sixteen: Sour Grapes
Chapter Seventeen: FUBAR
Chapter Eighteen: Baby Steps
Chapter Nineteen: Medieval Craftsmanship
Chapter Twenty: All's fair in love and war
Chapter Twenty-One: A Little Past and Present
Chapter Twenty-Two: Soldiering On
Chapter Twenty-Three: Trading Up
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Cabin
Chapter Twenty-Five: Shattered
Chapter Twenty-Six: A Destiny Revealed
Chapter Twenty-Seven: In too Deep
Chapter Twenty-Eight: It's Not All Fun and Games
Chapter Twenty-Nine: A Crescendo
Chapter Thirty: Needs
Chapter Thirty-One: Defined
Chapter Thirty-Two: Pancakes and Death Threats
Chapter Thirty-Three: The Calm Before A Storm
Chapter Thirty-Four: Friends
Chapter Thirty-Five: No Mercy
Chapter Thirty-Six: Manila Hurts
Chapter Thirty-Seven: To Live or Die
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Bonding
Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Groundwork
Chapter Forty: Succeeding Sucks
Chapter Forty-One: Rattled
Chapter Forty-Two: Plans for a Monarchy
Chapter Forty-Three: It Can't End Like This
Chapter Forty-Four: The New Authority
Chapter Forty-Five: Unholy Intentions
Chapter Forty-Six: Almost...
Chapter Forty-Seven: Battling Heartache
Chapter Forty-Eight: What Goes Up Must Come Down
Chapter Forty-Nine: Together Again
Chapter Fifty: Something Normal and Wilted
Chapter Fifty-One: A Prophecy Fulfilled
Chapter Fifty-Two: Veils of Calm
Chapter Fifty-Three: We're All Alright

Chapter Four: Breakfast Bites

6.1K 258 6
By ShelbyAnne

 CHAPTER FOUR

Cyrus left Faye in his living room to make her breakfast while she sat on the couch to rest. She tried to relax, but couldn't. She knew something wasn't quite right, though she did believe Cyrus. His story about almost hitting her with his car was starting to sound right. It was all so hazy though, and the fact that she had a massive headache only served to make the situation worse. She really needed some water and a couple aspirins.

Faye got off the couch and found her way to the kitchen hoping once her headache eased up that maybe the fogginess would ease up too. When she entered the room Cyrus' back was toward her and he had a phone to his ear.

"Roxy," he said, "We need to talk. You need to call me when you get this."

Roxy... she thought and found herself instantly wondering if Roxy was his girlfriend. Looking around the kitchen it dawned on her that his girlfriend probably lived with him. Everything she had seen of the house was nice, too nice for a bachelor pad.

The kitchen looked expertly coordinated with slate flooring, warm oak cabinets, and black granite counters. The appliances were all stainless steel, the walls were painted a pale olive green, and there was even a bowl of fresh fruit on the counter. His kitchen was like stepping into a page from Better Homes and Garden. The rugged man with his long hair, loose jeans, and black t-shirt did not look capable of keeping such an immaculate kitchen.

"Faye," He said interrupting her thoughts. "What are you doing off the couch?"

"I was hoping you had something for my  headache..."

He looked thoughtful for a second then said, "I'll be right back," and he left her in the kitchen for only a moment. He was back in front of her handing her a little packet in no time, "It's from the first aid kit."

"Thank you," she said, ripping it open and popping the pills in her mouth. Cyrus opened the refrigerator then handed her a bottle of cold water and after taking a few sips she asked, "Is there a bathroom I can use?" He nodded and led the way silently.

She entered the half-bath nearly shrieking as she caught a glimpse of her reflection in the mirror above the sink. Her hair was in a lopsided, stringy ponytail, she had hideous dark circles under her eyes, and her skin looked washed out. She felt awful.

There was an inch long cut high on her forehead held closed with two white butterfly band-aids. She looked like she crawled out from under a rock.

Fighting back the desire to cry Faye did what she could. She straightened her ponytail and then combed through the tangled ends with her fingers. She cupped cold water in her hands and doused her face with it, repeatedly, before rinsing her mouth out and shutting the faucet off.

Feeling a tiny bit better Faye stretched, rolling her head in a circle, and that's when she saw them... two purple puncture marks on the side of her neck. "What the..." she questioned and leaned in close to the mirror trying to get a better look. The wounds were hard to see but it was obvious what they were and she freaked. "Something bit me!"

Cyrus was scrambling eggs, hesitating to carry out his original plan. He was going to slip Faye a few drops of his blood putting her to sleep while it healed her injuries and a couple of hours later she would wake as good as new. Vampires could feed and erase all of the evidence; an ability necessary for survival. He just needed to find out where she lived, give her a drop of his blood, and then take her home. When she woke she wouldn't remember him and her injuries would be healed. The only problem was he didn't want Faye to forget him.

As Cyrus struggled Faye charged into the kitchen hysterical. "Something bit me! Something bit me," she squealed coming very close showing him her neck. "Look right here," she said craning her head to the side exposing the marks marring her delicate skin.

"Let me see," He said stepping closer placing one hand on her shoulder and the other on her chin. "What'd you think they're from," she asked but Cyrus was finding it difficult to concentrate suddenly.

Her sweet scent combined with the closeness of her body was overwhelming him. One taste, that's all I need... "Cyrus," she said pulling away from him. "Do you think it was a snake? Do you think it was poisonous?"

He had to fight the urge to pull her back to him so he turned back to the eggs to collect himself replying, "I don't know..."

"Eww..." she mumbled and ran her hands all over herself as if there was something to brush off. It made him laugh and he knew right then that he wasn't going to erase any of their interaction. "Are you ready to eat?"

"Sure," she said sounding drained again.

Faye exhaled in a huff from a stool pulled up to the counter as she watched Cyrus put eggs and toast on two plates. "What's wrong?" He asked sitting one of the plates in front of her with a tub of butter, and a glass of OJ.

"Are you really asking me that," she responded slightly amused.

"I'm sorry," he said looking right into her eyes.

She nodded then replied, "Thanks for this," and she motioned to the plate in front of her. "It's kind of nice to have someone serve me for a change."

"You're a waitress," he asked.

"A bad one," she admitted after taking a bite of the eggs.

He popped a heart stopping sideways grin at her, clearly amused and asked, "Where do you work?"

"A place called AJ's."

"The diner out on Route Twenty-Four?"

"That's the one," she responded.

"I'm going to come in next time your working," he said and Faye looked at him for almost a full minute before asking, "Do you think your girlfriend will mind," eyeing him suspiciously as she awaited his response. He found the way her brows drew together endearing. "I don't have a girlfriend." Little did she know the concept of a girlfriend was practically foreign to him.

"Do you live with your parents," she asked next.

He shook his head no. It had been more than two-hundred years since Cyrus last saw his parents. "So you live here all by yourself," She questioned obviously struggling with something.

"I do," he answered.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty-four," Two-hundred and twenty-four, but who's counting?

"What do you do for a living?"

He eyed her the way she was him and asked, "Why do you sound so suspicious?"

Without a hint of apology or hesitation she answered, "Because I'm sitting in your house, eating food you made me, after you almost ran me over and I know nothing about you."

"Fair enough," he said, but It was her turn now, and he asked, "How old are you, Faye?"

"Twenty."

"And do you have a boyfriend?"

"No," she answered and he felt a sudden relief spread through him that she was not romantically involved with anyone and he asked again, "When do you work next?"

"Nope," She said getting off the stool bringing her plate to the sink.

"You can't just say nope."

"Yes, I can," and then she turned to him and said, "Cyrus I'd like that ride home now, if the offer still stands."

"Absolutely, I'll take you whenever, but you're welcome to stay a while longer."

She shook her head, "This has been real interesting and all, but it's time for me to go."

Faye put her shoes on and Cyrus handed her a sweatshirt saying, "Put this on. It's cold and I had to toss yours."

"You threw out my sweatshirt?"

"It had blood on it. You can keep that one."

"Ok," she said pulling the thick navy-blue hooded sweatshirt over her head. It was way too big and smelled like fresh laundry soap. She wanted to press her face to the fabric and inhale, but she wasn't about to embarrass herself that way.

He smiled at her, "It looks good on you," and with that he opened the front door for her.

They got into a big black pickup truck and she gave him directions once they were back on Old Mill road. Not even ten minutes later they pulled up to her barn and he put the truck in park, "We live pretty close," he said.

"Yeah, so we do," she responded and started to shrug out of his sweatshirt. He reached out grabbing her hand stopping her, "Keep it."

After a brief deliberation she said, "Fine, but only because you threw mine out."

He smiled and asked, "So when can I see you again?"

"See me again," she repeated caught off guard.

"Yes."

"I don't know if that's a good idea," Faye said before she could stop herself.

He laughed in response, "Good idea or not, doesn't matter to me."

"I'm gonna go. Thank you for the ride," she said smiling, looking back only long enough to see into his blue eyes before shutting the door.

He rolled down the window and called after her, "Faye, I know where to find you, you will be seeing me," and then he pulled off leaving her heart racing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

409K 18.4K 62
❝Her eyes spoke more than her lips moved.❞ After her pack is brutally taken over, Leila is forced to reside in the untamed lands of the Lycan kingdom...
246K 5.2K 59
"Who the fuck did you tell?" He asks me as he takes a step closer towards me, making me also take a few steps back. "Stop being so fucking loud and...
162 2 13
Description Someone has to die to satisfy a powerful voodoo spirit's thirst for souls. Will Heather Marshall survive? This supernatural mystery novel...
257 14 12
This is a story about a 24 year old named Sawyer. A werewolf who was forced to leave his home after his first werewolf shift when he was 18. He journ...