Low Roar (Ticci Toby romance)

By Twinky-Dinky-Doo

Not long after the fire in Colorado, Toby continued following the Operator to Alabama. There he struggles to... More

A Walking Disaster
Rock, Chalk, Shot a Jayhawk
Bloodstream
Awards Voting (closed)
Lit the Fuse and Missed the Candle
Fools and the Cowboys
A/N: Updates

Giants

125 4 13
By Twinky-Dinky-Doo

It was relatively cool that evening. I blinked slowly into unkempt discolored walls, the visions of blurred smiles and muffled laughter fading as I pulled out of sleep. I continued to lay there as the unknown faces faded from my bleary eyes. I never could remember any of my dreams, but these unknown happy moments lingered in my subconscious as if they were mine. Even if I can't see them very well, they sooth me in a way.

I sat up to look at the clock as the room came back into focus. I had been asleep for almost two hours. I just wanted to nap for like, twenty minutes or so, 'cause I hadn't the chance for any rest lately, but guess that didn't happen.

Ugh, Tim is going to nag me for this. I rubbed my eyes with the heel of my palms and got up. The hotel room I'm crashing is completely untouched, save for the few wrinkles on the bed covers where I slept. Stopping by the sink to rinse my face with cold water and nab the goggles I left by the coffee machine, and went out into the hallway.

This hotel is old and smells it. Everything in it yellowed and caked with, something. Dust? I don't know. The place doesn't get cleaned ever. I rounded the corner to the reception area and went into the backroom. I have to use the office phone since that one time I had an unfortunate arm tic that threw my cell phone against the wall. I fished into my pants pocket for a crumpled piece of paper with a phone number on it. I sighed, trying to brace myself for the lecture I was definitely about to receive as I dialed. The phone didn't get past its first ring before Tim answered.

"Where are you? We planned to meet under the bridge half hour ago," Tim's voice scolded on the other end. Oh boy.

"Pop a midol Timothy, I'm on my way. I just slept longer than I thought," I reassured, waving my hand in front of me. I knew he couldn't see it but it's just habit. Tim sighed into the phone, crunching through the line.

"Just get here soon, alright."

And with that he hung up. I know I'm new to this, uh, profession, but he needs to chill the heck out. I lowered the phone, but the sudden sharp ting of a bell stopped my hand.

"Hello?"

Is someone actually here to visit the hotel? My hand hovered over the receiver. I could just ignore them and wait for them leave, but the reception office has a small window and they were looking directly at me. Nice.

"Excuse me?"

I cringed at the second call. This hotel is on the outskirts of town and no one ever comes here unless...

"One sec," I answered, dropping the phone to its place.

I darted around the room for some sort of guest book and a set of room keys. I managed to find a nice enough looking notebook on the desk and some keys on the floor before heading out to greet the person. It was a short woman in her mid-thirties with round, brown eyes and a dark red top. I tried to look dignified as I walked out to the counter, puffing my chest slightly and my back straight but the woman still raised her eyebrow to me. Oh well, I tried. Maybe it's my hair.

"Uh, how many nights?"

The woman puckered the side of her mouth and narrowed her eyes at the desk. My neck and right arm beginning to tense, my arm especially burning. Ah jeez, not now. I held my arm and concentrated on holding the tension back.

"See, I'm not very sure. This is kinda last-minute so I don't really know," she paused, shaking her head and waving her frizzed curls around.

"How much is it a night?" a million dollars

"Ah, sure. Yeah, you could just, uh, pay when you leave. Sign here. Please."

I slid the notebook across the counter with my calm hand, trying to stop my head from jerking too badly. I opened the guest book to a random page and pointed to the blank line at the top. Just sign it please.

"Room 219," I stated, looking at the key before handing it to her.

The woman nodded and finished filling in the guest book.

"Thank you. Also, I have a U-Haul with me. Is it okay to leave in the parking lot, or do you have a storage I need to put it in?" What the flim-flam is a U-Haul?

"Uh...sure? Just leave it there I guess."

She thanked me again and left through the glass front doors. Probably going to go get some luggage. Better get out of here before she thinks I'm a bell boy too.

I pulled up the blue hood of my jacket and left out a staff entrance door to the side. It had been warm the past two days, so the cool air is awesome. The side entrance led out to a thick blackberry bush that surrounded the hotel. I crouched into the foliage, edging my way along the parking lot. I ended up catching a glimpse of that weird lady's family and the big white and orange trailer, I scanned over this thing trying to get a better idea of what this is. A large pop art-y type whale painted the left side, looking down I then noticed that was attached to the parked car on a bottom hook. Who the heck needs that much stuff to travel?

"Angelo," one of them called.

I slinked back into bramble. It was a teenage girl with short dark brown hair and a pink-sissy-sailor kinda dress; holding several pastel colored bags. Must be one of them little ones.

"Angelo, come into the room. You don't have to carry any bags, just get Luna."

She slung another bag on her shoulder and walked towards the hotel.

"Yeah whatever, stupid," a voice affirmed.

The back car door opened and a skinny kid with a small white camera bag, black pants, and grey sweater holding a small white dog hobbled out. They had their brown hair wrapped around their head in braid crown, like that girl on the hot chocolate box. The corner of my mouth twitched in a kind of smirk at the image of this shrimp trying to yodel. Though now it seemed the rest of me wanted to twitch along with it.

My back, arms, neck, and face itched annoyingly from the inside, involuntarily pushing my knuckles under my chin and cracking the joints. My arms released as my face contorted and neck jerked forward, making me produce a fairly loud yelp.

My eyes directly went to the dog squirming around every direction in the kids' arms, high-pitched squeaky barks ringing out. Oh, Barnacles. The person holding it turned, squinting around to see what it could be fussing about. I stayed as still as I could.

"Luna, you dumb dog, it's probably just a raccoon." They groaned and adjusted the dog in their arms before rushing inside.

Guess I got too close without realizing. Crouching through the bushes, I waded through to the woods, and made my way to the bridge. Each passing minute I could feel Masky's gripe getting longer.

Pacing up Timothy came into view, he stood stiffly with his hands shoved into the pockets of his tan jacket. I brought myself to a standstill as he shifted back and forth on his feet, turning his phone on briefly, then stuffing it back in the pocket.

He hadn't noticed me yet, that was his first mistake. Actually, his second, the first is being pissy on the phone. I carefully tip-toed on the gravel to where he stood with his back to me. I silently sucked in a breath, bending my knees to spring me forward.

"Hey Masky!" I yelled, laughing as he practically jumped ten feet in the air.

He turned around and growled, shoving my shoulder. I felt my left side jerk back numbly, but I just laughed harder.

"Aah! Don't ever do that again."

He's so funny when he's like this. He's so short and hammy he ends up looking like some sort of rhinoceros. It seemed like he wanted to gore me now anyway.

"Haha! O-okay. What was it he needs me to do?" I asked, trying to catch my breath after my giggle fit. Tim's shoulders fell as he groaned.

"He needs you to keep an eye on the hotel. There are two people staying there now that he wants to stay put for a while."

I scrunched my eyebrows, my mouth grimacing as my head yanked around, neck cracking at each turn point.

"Two? It's a family of three staying," I corrected.

Masky dropped his hands and faced me.

"What do you mean a 'family'? There's a guy named, Jay, and a girl named, Jessica. That's all."

I shook my head.

"Nah-uh. They, uh, checked in this morning." My shoulders shuddered and pulled back.

"Then get them out." I was almost startled by his abruptness.

"How?" I kicked rock and watched it roll and bounce against Masky's foot. He didn't even react to it.

"I don't know. But there shouldn't be unnecessary people hanging around. If they're still not gone by tomorrow, just kill them."

I nodded. Simple enough.

"Yeah, okay. I'll see ya then. Don't see why we couldn't just talk about this over the phone." Masky had started to walk away but stopped and looked at me over his shoulder.

"Because you don't have a cell, the room phones have been disconnected, and we need to avoid using the office phone if we can help it. There's too much of a risk of us getting seen using it or worse, someone could hear us."

He spun round again and continued walking in what's probably the direction he parked his car. The question about the phone was mostly rhetorical, but whatever.

Alrighty-then, now I have to figure out how to get those people out. Masky is too kind-hearted sometimes. I mean, wouldn't master want as many people as he can get? If he can't use them to spread his influence, then maybe could at least eat them.

I rounded myself back to the Motel 6, still slightly salty at Tim's attitude and general weirdness. Making my way to the parking lot again, a distant conversation came to attention, looking in that direction, I spotted two people standing towards the side of a car.

Eh, what harm is a little eavesdropping gonna do? Making sure I kept out of view I snuck behind a car. I turned my head slightly to get the full action. It's the woman from earlier, she had her car unhitched from the trailer and is talking to her kids from the driver window.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?"

"Yeah mama, we'll be fine. I'll lock the door and not leave the room at night."

I was straining to hear because of the distance they were from me, though my hand smacking into the side of my head isn't making it any easier. I had to put my other hand over my temple just to muffle the noise.

"I'll be taking Luna, so you don't have to worry about her. I shouldn't be longer than a week." Did she say she's leaving them here for a week? Oh well, I guess Tim's gonna have to suck it up. Too bad I couldn't just get it over with and kill them now, but it's too open an area.

"You'll both be okay, though?"

"Yes mom, we'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Holy shit. Yes mom, we'll be fine. Just go already."

Judging by the voice, that must've been the shrimpy one. I think their name is Angelo. The family exchanged last, "I love you"s, and the mother backed out of the parking lot and out to the highway. The two stood there in silence.

"So, what should we do now?" the age player asked. Angelo sighed roughly and rushed to the front doors.

"I'm taking a fucking nap."

"Yeah, okay. We'll get something to eat after," the pink sailor confirmed, both disappearing into the hotel.

That makes it sort of easy. I'll kill them right now during their nap. I waited a few moments before following inside. If I remember right, their room was 219. Also, if I remember right, there's a vending machine in that hallway. I hadn't eaten anything since yesterday, though I wasn't sure if it had anything in it, I'll find out.

I stopped by my room to grab my hatchets then went up the stairs to the second floor, thinking of the best way to pry the door open, but a sudden tic in my knee stopped me halfway through the hallway. My leg bent and stomped. I hoped it would pass and I could just be on my way but my body had other plans. My arms clenched and twisted, dropping my axes while I began to sniffle uncontrollably, stomping unceased. My eyes rolled and my head pulled back, clicking side to side. I started to make squealing noises and kicked the wall several times. My back clenched and I became forced into a fetal position on the floor. My muscles burned from the tension and strain. All I could do was ride it out and thanked whatever it was out there that the hotel was empty. My body clamped in a tight ball then sprung out. I kicked the wall and socked the floor repeatedly, beeping sort of noises emitting from my throat. My knuckles cracking with each punch and the momentum of my kicks leaving me to squirm in the middle of the floor. My back arched as I made the last of the beeping noises.

The stress in my body melted into the floor and I was left panting softly. Yeesh, haven't had a tic attack like that for a whole two days. I slowly brought myself to my knees and looked around for my hatchets. Instead I found someone with a pair of red Oxford's staring at me. I slowly looked up, black pants, monochrome striped button-up, white sweater over it, and a familiar gray cardigan, oh god it's Angelo, standing in front of the vending machine holding a five dollar bill.

Why.

They seemed to shudder slightly, blinking fast to break their gaze away from me when we made eye contact.

"Hey, are you, um, okay?" they enquired, barely audible while trying to avoid facing me.

"I'm fine," I answered, dusting myself off and sticking my hatchets through my belts behind me, "It happens sometimes."

"Oh. Heh, sorry. Didn't mean to be intrusive."

This is totally different person from whom they were in the parking lot.

"It's cool. So you lookin' for something to eat?"

I gestured to the five dollars in their hand. They took a double take at the direction I was pointing to understand what I meant.

"Uh, yeah. I'm just going to get something from the vending machine."

I nodded absent-mindedly. Gosh darn it, how am I supposed to get this kid dead? I could just hack 'um here, but the sister would hear the screams and then I'll have to deal both of them. Maybe if I could lead them off and come back for the other one. Yeah that could work.

I must have stared off in thought. Angelo glanced back and forth between me and the vending machine, holding the bill awkwardly over the money slot. Their eyes fell on my hatchets but I guess they decided not to say anything. Gotta think.

"If you want, I know a pizza place around here. Ya know, I can show you."

"Ah, no, that's okay. I'll just get something later."

They stepped back cautiously, reaching in for something in their pocket. Oh no it's a gun.

"I-I'm just going to go..."

They began side stepping toward their room door. My prey is slipping from me. I could just leave them and try again another time, but I may not get such a clear opportunity like this. My back tensed, curling back with my head cracking to the side as I made beeping noises. Angelo watched me closely as I did this, but not in a judging way you would look at a weird animal in the zoo, but with a kind of innocent concern.

"That's gotta be painful. Wait here while I get you something to eat."

Well this was just perfect, now my victim is sympathizing with me. They gently touched my arm to see how I would react before grabbing me softly and leading me to the wall across the vending machine next to their room door. As soon as they touched me, something in my arm tingled. I felt compelled to just let them do as they would.

I eyed them as they went to the vending machine and punched in the call number for whatever they bought. They had a really great...ass. As skinny was they were, through two sweaters and long shirt even I could tell there was something of a natural shape under there. Like kinda girlish? Not to mention the hot chocolate hair. But the way they moved and way they talked was, kinda boyish? The name was also pretty boyish. Conclusion? Don't know, don't care.

Angelo walked back to me with pretzels and two water bottles. They handed me the pretzels and one of the waters, which I accepted, sliding down the wall to sit. Angelo followed, sitting with one leg bent to their chest. I pulled down my mouth guard and opened the bag with a soft, pop.

"Here," I offered curtly, holding out the pretzels.

Angelo gulped, turning away from the snack in some sort of reluctance. I shook the bag again and they finally reached out to grab a few. I could look at their face closer now. They have a single red crane earring and flowers in their braids; my eyes then shifted to their face, skin tone a natural gold, and their eyes the same as their moms' but a bit larger. Otherwise, they have such a puny face. Small mouth, small nose, small eyebrows? I leaned in to get a better look at them.

"What are those?"

"What's what?"

"Are your eyebrows real?" I enquired, leaning in closer and squinting.

Angelo pushed me away, their small hands shoving at my chest. Their touch brought that humming sensation again. It felt so pleasant somehow.

"Yeah, see," They answered simply, wiggling those tiny triangles for eyebrows.

"Why are they like that? All small like that."

"I made them that way 'cause it looks cool," they explained, waggling them again.

"That's too small. Good eyebrows are like this," I torted, wiggling my own brows.

Angelo's eyes lit when I did this, giggling at my eyebrows as they moved up and down my forehead, covering their mouth with their hands. It was really sort of...cute. I felt that hum in my chest again. It was strange but not unpleasant, putting something within me at ease. My brows were still wiggling though.

"I can't stop," I stated.

Angelo pressed their lips to stifle their laughter, responding with a simple, "oh." I sat back against the wall

"So what are you doing here, like in this hotel?" I probed. They shrugged.

"My sister and I are moving to Portland, but something happened and now we have to wait here."

"Where's that?"

"Uh, up north in Oregon by Washington state."

I'm still not entirely sure where that is but I'll pretend. My arms stiffened and pushed my knuckles into my legs, cracking them loudly. Their eyes fluttered and turned away from me as I did this. My shoulders clenched, my neck pushing forward as I squeaked.

"Hey," Angelo started, looking at the ground between us, "What happened in the hallway, does that happen often?"

I shook my head.

"No, not that bad. The last time it was like that was, like, two days ago." I shrugged and ate the last of the pretzels.

"I didn't realize Tourette's could get that bad. I've never really seen it, honestly."

"Tourette's?"

"Yeah. It's a kind of syndrome when there's damage in the frontal lobe. It causes physical and vocal tics, or like twitches, like you have. It's more prevalent in babies born early. I thought it might be what you have. Not that I'm trying to diagnose you or anything."

they talk like a dictionary. Angelo paused and looked down at their lap, clasping their hands together "has that always happened to you?"

"As long as I can remember,"

This question sent me back momentarily, recalling about how much my tics had just came a part of daily life, no matter what, it's gonna happen, inconvenient or not. I stared blankly as they took a swig of water.

"Makes sense. 'cause your small."

"Small? I am not small," Am I short for my age? Then again, how old am I?

"How do you know all this?" I asked, my neck rolling and cracking as I sniffled.

"I have an interest in human behavior and general neuro-divergence."

There they go, talking like a dictionary again. I don't know half of what this kid's talking about, but the way they perked up was almost, well, cute.

"So, what are you doing here?"

My shoulders tighten and shuddered, pressing my arms against my sides as I made popping noises.

"I live here. With my dad and, um, my brothers? Two brothers." Gotta made some shit up now. It was kind of true in a weird way, almost, not really but whatever.

"What about you?" I inquired in return, "Are you staying in the town or just staying a night?" Better hope you're just staying the night.

"No, just staying here a bit. With my sister."

Oops there goes your chance at life.

"That's cool."

Hold up. "You said you were staying with your sister, though. Is she like, gonna go check out the town or something tonight?"

"No. No way. We're probably just going to sleep for a while. We're always together anyways so I doubt she would. Nothing to do here anyway. This town seems pretty dead."

"That's not true there's a nice park around here. It's called Rosswood. I could take you."

They didn't seem so keen on this as their puny eyebrows raised and side-eyed me.

"No. That's alright. I'm pretty tired so I'm just going. It was nice meeting you, I'm Angelo," they said as they got up adjusted their sweaters.

"Yeah, I'm Toby. I'll see you around I guess."

"Ah, no Tobias. I don't think we will. Bye."

And with that they shuffled into their room. I could hear the door knobs lock click along with the bolt at the top of the door. Yeah, whatever bitch I'm gonna hatchet your ass soon anyway. Still, they were kinda interesting to talk to. Then again I've no one to talk to but masky and hoodie. But hoodie is never around, and masky's a dickwad.

Unfortunately, as much of a jerk as he is, I'm going to need his help on this one. I absolutely hate to admit it, he's been doing this longer, and there's two of them to deal with. I sighed and sat up, dropping the pretzel bag from my lap. It might still have some crumbs so I should keep it.

Leaving the hotel, and risking my life to cross the street, I went into the kangaroo gas station. This convenience store is always lit way too bright. I jogged across through where the gas pumps are and slowed down to open the door. Triggering a small, yet sharp ting of the doorbell.

"Hey, Deborah," I greeted, waving at the cashier.

"Hey Toby. Here to shoplift again? You know that money comes out of my paycheck."

"Oh yeah. Well, thanks for your donation to this here underprivileged youth."

My back arched and twisted slightly, my nose twitching like a rabbit. "Hey is Tim in?"

"Tim? Yup, he's stocking over by the beer. Don't you even think about taking one."

"Wouldn't dream of it. Thanks, Deb." My nose was still twitching.

"Sure, Toady."

I followed her direction to the back of the store where the beer fridge is, stuffing a bag of gummy worms in my pocket on the way. Sure enough, there he is, shelving the ramen noodle bowls.

"'Sup Tim," I called, but he just looked up at me blankly.

"Do I know you?" he asked.

Ah heck, I forgot he turned stupid outside of the mask. The amnesia he gets from his alter ego always annoyed me but now I just want to shake him.

"Yeah, actually. We were, uh, coworkers at another job you have," I explained, putting my hands in my pants pocket.

"Sorry. I don't remember you. Is there something you need?"

"Nope. Not now anyway. When you get the chance, come find me okay."

"Sure. Whatever, man," he responded in a low voice, mostly to himself. I snickered and left the store.

Well, it seems I won't be able to get any help from Masky or Hoodie. Masky is in Tim-mode for the rest of the night, the useless butthole. Hoodie is, of course, missing in action. Not that he's ever around when I need him 'cause he's always running away from me like some chicken bone idiot.

The only thing I can really do now is watch this girl, Jessica. She's one of the two that's supposed to be in the hotel.

I jimmied the window open, snaked inside, and silently crawled on the floor like an agile cat. I slithered in the closet and felt like I've been watching her for at least an hour now. Masky told me she needs to 'stay put' and honestly, I had no clue what he meant but I'm seeing it now. She's clearly not taking to the slender sickness which is weird since even I get effected by it. I watched as Jessica writhed in her bed, gurgling and coughing in her sleep. Watching this girl wiggle around is getting boring.

My thoughts wandered to my other lingering problem of Angelo and company. They needed to either go or be killed, but clearly neither of them are going anywhere so I guess they have to die. I'm going to need help because there's two of them or at least get one of them alone, but Angelo seems to stick to their sister like ugly on an ape. Although I'm mostly wondering why Masky would even give them the chance to get away, living or not. My master wants to spread his virus and influence far and wide and eat. Wouldn't he want more people in his den? It just doesn't make sense.

A loud whimper broke me from my thoughts. Jessica was rocking back and forth on all fours under the blankets, coughing violently as she did so. Holy guacamole, she's possessed. I went to grab for my hatchets out of habit, but stopped myself. Master still wants her alive. Jessica sat up and gazed at the wall in front of her. It was eerily quiet. I peered out of the closet just enough for me to see all of what she was doing. Unfortunately, that meant she could also see me. Aw crap, I goofed, so much for being an agile cat.

Jessica threw the blankets off and sprang across the bed to the closet. I tried to close the door but she grabbed my arm. I grabbed on the door frame to give myself leverage and pulled her inside. She slammed into the back wall with thud. I took this chance and tried to make a break for the door. However, Jessica was faster than I thought. I only made it halfway to the door when she jumped on my back, arms clumsily around my neck. Lucky for me she has absolutely no fighting experience and I was able to slip from her grasp. Grabbing onto her shoulder, I kicked off the dresser and swung around behind her. She struggled and bucked but I held on, hooking an arm under her chin and the other over her shoulder, locking my wrist in my elbow. She tried to pivot around, but I held on too tight. She reeled around and slammed me against the wall, trying to loosen my choke hold. Being in the woods so long, my arm strength is pretty decent so it didn't really do much. She rammed me multiple times against the wall, but she was beginning to slow. Her breathing grew heavier and her body crumpled beneath me.

There was a loud knock on the door and a guy's voice shouting Jessica's name. That Jay guy must've been next door and heard her smacking me on the wall. I let go of Jessica and bolted for the window. I could hear her coughing and groaning behind me as I left.

That was too close. I ended up falling out of the two-story window on some soft dirt, letting the impact fall on my shoulder. I'd fallen from higher trees so I knew how to land without a bad injury. Not that it would hurt or anything because I've never been able to feel physical pain, but having a broken leg would still e annoying. I gave a second for my body to adjust after the impact. My leg coiling and kicked while my shoulders curling and arching. I tried to suppress the beeping sounds I was going to make, but it didn't work. Oh well at least it didn't wake anybody.

After the ticing settled down, I got up and made a sweep around the building. Too much was going on and the last thing I want is some wise guy snooping around. Scanning over the wall I noticed one window still dimly lit. It's well into four in the morning, no one would really be awake at this time. Except me of course, but I don't sleep much anyway. I grabbed onto the nearest windowsill and hoisted my way up. Grabbing the fire escape and leaning my foot on the window in question, I squinted through the gap in the curtains.

It's none other than Angelo and company. Of freaking course. They seem everywhere I go today. They had just enough lights on the have the room half way lit with what I can guess is the TV. The flashing colors glowing on their sleeping faces. They slept leaning towards each other in a familiar way that I had never really seen before. Something about it made my head spin. I shook it out.

After a short while, Angelo tottered out of the covers and headed towards the bathroom. I was left watching the sisters over-blanketed lump. Why does a person need to sleep with all three blankets? That's just weird.

The bathroom door had only just closed when both the TV and my vision turned to static. I winced at the high pitch whine that rang through my head, but I'm use to it. Between the flashes of static I saw him. The tall figure of my master looming in the corner, over where the sister slept.

I stayed watching the two of them until dawn. I probably should've gone back to Jessica's room, but after that fight, I'm not exactly eager to go back. The slender sickness wasn't agreeing with her and I guess that's what made her act that way. Not that she'll remember it anyway. Deciding I've been there long enough, I ran down the fire escape, jumping the last three steps.

I went back to my room and plopped on the bed as soon as I got in. Welp, sorry Masky. Master has his grip on at least one of the wonder twins, so it looks like they'll will be staying here. Does that mean I have to spare them now? After all that time I sat around in a closet plotting their demise. Well only one is targeted. I could at least kill Angelo for my troubles. Sounds fair. I lay there thinking as my arm clenched and smack my hand into my head. Whatever. I just let it, I didn't care now. My stomach growled. I sighed into the pillow as I realized the only thing I've eaten was the pretzels Angelo gave me and the gummy worms while I was surveilling Bonnie and Clyde. Now is another great dilemma of the day; get out of bed or starve? My stomach rumbled again so I guess that answers that.

I left my room and headed towards the kangaroo. It's bright this morning, the sun filtering through the sparse clouds. Sunrises and sunsets almost mean nothing to me, whatever the sky is doing has no impact on me so I never pay it any mind. But it seemed like it would've be warm today 'cause yesterday's coolness. Whenever it changes temperature it's almost guaranteed to storm, which would be kinda bad because almost all my time is spent outdoors. Crossing the street to the convenience store is more dangerous now since this is the time people are driving off to work. I stood at the corner for at least fifteen minutes before I felt it clear enough to cross. I have no real means of transportation so I have to walk to everything, and that means crossing the highway that stretched by the motel. I hate having to move around this way. Something about cars feels so...not right. Duh, this speeding metal box isn't the safest thing in the world. But when one speeds by, the back of my mind reels, crying that something terrible will happen. I have to ignore it though. Can't get to where I need to go if I can't cross the street.

After the awful morning bob-and-weave through traffic I finally got into the Kangaroo.

"'Sup Paul." I yelled out to the cashier.

"Hey Toby. Got any cash today?"

"Nope."

He chuckled at this and continued stacking the cigarettes behind the counter. I went to where the is microwave food but I stopped in my tracks. Angelo was looking at the various sandwiches with their hair in a low ponytail, and a groggy, angry look in their eyes. Although seeing their hair down, I could see how long it is now, reaching to their mid-thigh. What I'm mostly confused about is what they were doing here. It's gotta be at least seven o'clock, and being how late they were up, seeing them is a surprise to say the least. I should punish them for staying up so late.

I tip-toed next to them in the aisle, silently making my way next to them and let out an abrupt, "Hey Angelo!"

They jumped and whined as their body shrank away from me. The small, 'ah,' they made when they jumped was too funny. It sounded like those noises rabbits make.

"Why'd you do that you asshole," they griped and stomped their little foot, trying to seem angry but it just sounded confused and panicked.

"Just sayin' hi. Didn't expect to see you out so early. Where's your sister?" I asked, straining my neck up to see over the tops of the shelves.

"Ugh, don't ask. She woke me up with this shitty cough and just keeps bitching on 'how sick' she feels." This was unexpectedly honest of them.

"So, what're you doing here then?"

My arms and hands felt super irritated from the inside, compelling me to crack my knuckles and wrist a few times.

"I just thought I'd get her something to eat and some medicine for her. It's not a big deal. I'm probably going to go right back to my room though." Figures.

"Yeah, that's cool. Hey, buy me a cheeseburger."

Might as well try to take advantage while I can. Angelo blinked up at me, trying to process what I just said.

"Sure. Do you not have your own money?" they questioned, tilting their head and putting a hand on their hip. They trying be cute or something.

"Nope," I answered simply, running over to grab a cold cheeseburger.

I shuffled through the ones on the shelf, trying to find one that looked bigger than the rest. I found a double bacon cheeseburger and snatched it in success. Angelo watched me curiously.

"Do you, ever have money?" they probed.

I must've looked really excited getting this double cheeseburger. Oops.

"No, not usually."

"Doesn't your dad or your brothers give you anything?"

I paused at this question. My neck tightened and clicked to one side.

"No. My dad is busy with, uh, work."

Angelo's face fell at this, looking more like a sad puppy than before.

"What about your brothers?"

"Uh, yeah I see them sometimes. I saw one of them, like, yesterday."

Jeez it felt so weird calling Hoodie and Masky my brothers. They're coworkers if anything but whatever.

"Sounds so lonely. Do you have any friends?"

"Sure I do. Paul over there is one of my friends. Hey Paul!" I waved my hands to him but he just ignored me.

"No, Tobias I mean real friends. You're pretty tough for taking care of yourself but everyone needs someone to truly depend on. That's why I'm always with my sister."

This lingered with me. I have been alone since that day I woke up after the fire in that neighborhood. Since then I've been following my master, the operator, without question and moving from one place to the next. Having someone to depend on wasn't something that's available, or something I thought is necessary.

"Why don't you pick a bunch of stuff, Toby. Like slushies or something."

Are they serious, wow what a sucker!

"Really?! Yes!" I ran to the door and grabbed one of those plastic baskets they keep there.

"I've always wanted to use one of these."

Wasting no time, I got busy grabbing at least two of everything I've always wanted. I threw various candy, souper meals, a box of lucky charms, and at least five mac n' cheese cups. Holy shit, I'm going to eat good tonight. I rushed around to the cold foods section and nabbed a Sunkist and six whole Klondike bars.

Angelo just kinda stood there, staring at me with a mix of disbelief and concern. Don't know what was so concerning but meh.

"I'm done," I said, holding up the basket in front of them. They shook their head to snap out of some daze.

"Is that all? You don't want anything more?" they asked, worry saturating their voice again.

"Yup. Just ring me up while I get a slushy and nachos." My neck jerked to one side as I sniffled.

"Uh, yeah okay," they agreed, scanning over everything in the basket. "Is this all you want?"

"Jeez I said it was fine. Just go pay," I insisted.

They shuddered, fluttering their eyes before running off to the cash register. I've only gotten a slushy once before when some nice trucker came by and felt sorry enough for me, or something. Thinking back on it he was kinda weird, he kept looking me over with the strangest smirk I've seen, no importance. I snatched the largest size cup, contemplating on what flavor to get before settling on the pepsi. I stared at the machine wondering how the heck was I supposed to make the slush come out. After a second I saw you had to pull this little black lever, but unfortunately, I didn't realize you had to time the flow and it spilled over on the drip thing on the bottom. It ended up getting all over my gloves but oh well. I rushed to get my nachos and plopped them at the cashier stand.

"Check it, Paul, I totally got money today," I announced, squeezing my hand on Angelo's shoulder. They tensed at my touch.

"Can't believe you got suckered into buying stuff for this kid," Paul snickered.

"I wouldn't like to think of it as suckered. I have enough money and he seems okay," they chuckled awkwardly.

I felt my arm tense and I let go of them and let my arm writhe and crack at the joints, clearing my throat twice.

"Tch. Whatever," Paul remarked.

He put the last item in the bag and pronounced the total. It sounded like a lot to me, but Angelo just swiped the card like it was nothing.

"Here. I hope this'll last you awhile."

They handed me the bags and scuffled to the door. I can't let them get away again. This is probably my last big window for a while so I have to act now.

"Hey Angelo," I called. They stopped and looked at me sideways. "Wanna eat with me back at the hotel?"

"Um, sure. But where?"

"My room."

"Um, n-no. I think I'm good."

Fuck I'm losing their trust. For the second time, repetitively.

"Or the lobby? Or just the curb right there, just outside."

They pondered this and looked back at me.

"Sure. The curb is fine I guess." Not really what I wanted but it'll do. We left the store and settled ourselves just outside of it, leaning against the large windows.

First things first, I have to eat these nachos before they get soggy. I slid off my gloves and popped open the plastic container. I held it out to Angelo but they stared at it and looked down, positioning their feet together.

"I-I'm not too sure. I've got some stuff and you have a lot of things on it anyway."

"What are you talking about? You have hardly anything and the point of nachos is to have a lot of things on it." I clicked my teeth and pulled a chip from the pile. "Just take some."

"Uh, sure. Okay." they shakily took the corn chip and ate it.

"Can I ask you something?" they started, "Why do you keep wanting to giving me your food?" I shrugged.

"I don't know. Whenever I talk to someone while they're eating they always give me some, so I just thought it was the thing to do." It's true though. I don't really care about 'sharing' or 'please and thank you', but sharing food just seems like instinct.

"Oh, yeah. I guess that makes sense. I mean, it must be instinct 'cause people kind of break bread with each other as a way to bond and, you know, show friendship."

Friendship? I don't want to be friends I want to kill you, stupid. Whatever, I just gotta play along until we walk back to the motel and I can hatchet them and be done.

My legs tightened and itched, making me kick while, my hand smacked into my head while I beeped and booped. Angelo paid it no mind and reached into their bag. Luckily I didn't spill my nachos and I continued eating like nothing happened, that is, until I realized what Angelo was eating.

"How the heck are you eating those chips?" I exclaimed, pointing to the bag of takis in their hand. "How do you eat that red pain powder. It's just pain!" They just shrugged.

"It's because it's pain powder. I have narcolepsy and spicy food helps keep me awake. Or at least less drowsy."

"Narco-what?"

"Narcolepsy. It's a chronic condition that makes you drowsy almost every sorta waking moment. And to compensate, my body will try to fall asleep at random times. Kinda like sleep spasms."

"Spams? Like me?" my tone turned more serious than I intended, but Angelo just gave me a small smile.

"Yeah. Sort of like you."

As expected, I don't meet people like me often, or just meet a lot of people over all, but this moment of understanding felt foreign. I had been alone until I reached this town and met Masky and Hoodie. I had to learn to deal with my twitches and understand my impulses all on my own. Looking around and seeing no one else with these problems, I felt even more alone. But this person knows a lot about different things I've never even heard of. Things about myself. Maybe they could teach me some things. They talk like a book anyway. I'll kill them later.

"Hey, that thing you said I have," I started.

"Tourette's?"

"Yeah, that. Is there any, like, medicine for it. Or anything?"

They paused as they finished chewing a pain chip.

"Yes. There are four different kinds of medications and therapy options that help. There isn't anything to make it go away permanently, but it does lessen as you get older and pretty much be a thing of the past by the time you're forty. So you can look forward to that."

"That's cool. At least I won't be smacking my head forever."

"Lucky. Narcolepsy actually get worse as you get older." They chuckled with a sad sort of pathetic self-pity. "Um, if you want, we could talk about this more in my room. My sister will be there, just so you know."

Jackpot.

"Sure." I agreed, my head bobbing and shoulders shrugging a few times.

We gathered up our bags and made our way to the corner to cross, leaving my empty nacho tub where we were sitting.

The whole walk to Angelo's room had me filled with excitement and apprehension. I'm itching to kill this person, but a small part in me wants to keep them alive so they can teach me about myself and other things too. I only really knew what I needed to survive, and I had no real knowledge of anything else. I had the urge to learn. Was it just part of the natural human curiosity? What if they didn't need to die though? Master needs food for fodder and the sister had already been chosen. Angelo would make a perfect offering, so it could be worth it to keep them alive. What the heck was I even saying. I shook my head.

"Uh, Hey, do you mind if we take the stairs? I get vertigo." Angelo requested.

I just replied with a short, "sure." You can't make this easy can you. Wait, what on earth is vertigo? The new-found back-and-forth in my mind was already old. At this point, I should just drown them so it lasts longer and it would be more of a show. Wait, can they swim?

"Hey Angelo, can you swim? Just wondering."

"No. I just, never learned. But I'm a pretty good floater though."

Oh yeah I'm drowning you tonight. Can't float if I'm holding you down.

We went up the stairs, finally reaching room 219. Angelo unlocked the door and held it open for me. The room looked a lot more lived in than the room I'd been staying in. Sheets a wrinkled mess, the tables and chairs covered with laundry and food containers, and the counter around the sink swamped with different colored makeup tubes and brushes. It looks like they've been here for weeks even though it's only been overnight. There's a hushed rushing sound of water coming from the bathroom.

"I guess Annette is in the shower." Angelo remarked, pulling a laptop from the floor on the side of the bed.

I silently inched closer as they opened it and typed in their password. I reached around to where my hatchets hung from my belt.

"Hey, Toby," they asked softly, their back turned to me, "Sit next to me and I'll show you the medications I was talking about."

My fingertips brushed the tops of the small axes. It's now or never, but I was hesitant. There's still a chance that they'd be better off as food. In that case I could still kill them now and leave them in the forest, but I hadn't received orders to do so. Killing them would be going behind his back and I could get a, uh, detention, as I've heard it called. Plus if the sister is getting inducted into the fold, Angelo could be their first kill and wouldn't that be something? It would be juicy to see, to say the least. I snickered to myself and sat next to them.

I watched as they brought up the internet. They have so many tabs up that the little grey markers couldn't even display an icon. There's at least forty-five tabs up, but they were still able to poke through specific ones with ease. I'm not some caveman who's never seen a computer and me no know technology or anything like that. But I don't own a computer either and most of whatever they're doing is really interesting to watch.

"I had researched Tourette's a bit ago. I got up some of the resources I found, I thought maybe it could help you."

I arched a brow and leaned over them to get a better look at the screen, my chin near their shoulder. They winced at my closeness, but left it alone.

What they had up was several different FAQs and medical articles talking about therapy options and types of medications. From what they showed me, there were three options. Anti-convalescents, antidepressants, and anti-hyper actives. Granted I would probably never take these, but it's kinda neat knowing that there were actually things to help.

The room became quieter as the shower stopped. The sister is coming out of the bathroom soon. Even though there was technically nothing wrong with her seeing me, whenever someone new is taken under masters influence, it's easier to stalk them if they don't know anything about me or at least what I look like.

"I gotta go. I, uh, have to help my dad out with something. I'll see you later."

I rushed, standing as my back hunched and my head bobbed forward. I made beeping noises as I stumbled to the door.

"Okay. See ya."

The sister opened the bathroom door just as I passed to leave. I managed to get a glimpse of her face and boy the sickness is hitting her hard. Her eyes tired and listless from only one night on contact. This is the fastest I've seen the influence take. It was almost too fast. I paid it no mind, practically running out.

That night, Masky called me at the office phone to arrange a meeting at our usual spot. As soon as I arrived, He immediately started asking questions.

"Did you get rid of them?"

"Uh, about that. One of the got chosen and the other is...food." Masky paused and stared me down.

"Food? What do you mean food?" I shrugged.

"Ya know, food for the boss. They're gonna be eaten. Chomp. Om-nom."

Masky sighed deeply. His frustration rattling his voice to a low, aggravated growl. He grabbed the front of my shirt and pulled me to face him. I glared from behind my goggles and he through the holes in his mask.

"Enough of this Toby. How many people have already become victims of him? Too many! No one else should have to live through this hell. This has to stop." I reached for his collar and pulled him down to my eye level.

"Listen Timothy, I don't know why you're so fixated on protecting those two, but your weird ideas of giving them a chance to escape is mutiny! You're lucky he found them anyway 'cause your ass would've been taken to reconditioning."

"I don't care about them. I don't know them. But having suffered this bullshit for as long as I can remember and seeing my friends going through it, I'm going to stop any more people from getting sucked into this."

If it weren't for the mask he'd probably be spitting on me.

"Too late, bucko. One of them's already infected remember? It's just a matter of time for the other one," I sneered. My head jerked as my face grimaced, forehead slapping against the plastic and hitting him in the overhead but he paid it no mind.

"Doesn't matter. If you run away when it's just setting, you can avoid it. You know that." Masky's voice lowered as he said this and slowly let go of my shirt.

"I don't see what's so bad about being under the master. He did save me, you know."

Masky gave an exasperated sigh, rubbing the back of his neck and putting his other hand on his hip.

"Toby, he didn't save you. In fact, he's the one who caused all of your problems. I don't know your story. Or where you came from, or anything like that. But I can tell you, any problems you have now, he gave to you. You probably had it pretty okay, but he broke you down to wipe everything from you. Just to fit you into his proxy mold."

He reached into his back pocket to pull out a cigarette but decided against it. Idiot probably just remembered he was wearing a mask. That idiot. That dumbass. That jackass. Fucking slut-bag booger brain. What did he know. Absolutely fucking nothing. My master was there for me when I was alone. My master was there for me when I lost everything. My master was...my master was...everything.

"Suck a dick, Timothy. You don't know what you're talking about. Just shut the heck your mouth and leave Max and Ruby to me." My arm tensing and my fist clenched tight enough to pop the knuckles as my eyes rolled.

"You're right," Masky sighed, "What do I know. I'm going to go. Jay might leave and I gotta keep an eye on him. And suck dick, I guess. Good luck."

I said nothing and watched him disappear into the trees.

Tch. What does he know anyway.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.4K 1.1K 29
19-year-old William Lynch, who works as a cashier, meets a ominous guy, who soon becomes his worst nightmare. • • • "aAaah" I screeched as I tried to...
44.3K 1.4K 38
Toby was walking around at night and suddenly a guy with a knife try to rob him not knowing he was attacking a killer but before Toby could even reac...
1K 35 7
Y/n encounters Toby in the most random way possible. How will their relationship grow for this first week?
5.1K 157 9
( short and graphic, viewer be warned) You let out a sigh as you rested your head on his shoulder. He smelled man... He smelled so fucking bad... Bu...