The Bucket List

By MahryC

Ellie is an introvert. She blocks herself away from people and studied non-stop ever since her mother passed... More

Ellie's Bucket List
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y - s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
t h i r t y - f o u r
t h i r t y - f i v e

t h i r t e e n

577K 19.2K 9.1K
By MahryC

When I got home, I was so nervous, my hands shook as I tried to put the keys in the door. I was praying there was an emergency forcing Daniel to ditch me tonight. But he was smiling excitedly, looking at the movies eagerly.

I knew Daniel was going to enjoy this more than anyone whereas I'd probably be hiding behind the couch. I wondered if he was more interested to watch me freak out and squirm, or even cry, than actually watch the movie.

I pushed the door open and found myself staring into an empty corridor. I could already feel the chills of fear running up my spine. I entered the house slowly, already expecting that a random man wearing a ski-mask to jump out and attack me with a knife. Daniel walked in behind me and headed straight to the lounge room as if he'd been here a thousand times.

I opened dad's office and found it empty. "What are you looking for?" Daniel asked suspiciously.

"My dad," I said heading to dad's room.

I was somewhat hoping, actually, no I was practically begging, that dad decided not to take the night shift tonight. Maybe I should call and tell him that Daniel was here. But he wasn't home and I knew he wouldn't come home just because of a boy in our apartment. If anything, he'd probably be excited and ground me when he comes back home.

"Get the movie ready," I called out, taking a deep breath.

"Not running away from me, are you?"

I wish I could. But I lived here.

"I just need to call dad."

I called dad, letting him know that Daniel was over. Dad responded in the most unexpected way. "Don't do anything I wouldn't approve of," he said in a stern voice. I was ready to melt in embarrassment.

"Dad," I groaned.

"Also, he's not allowed to stay overnight. If I find that he did, I will be making him marry you immediately."

"Dad! Stop it!" My cheeks were most likely red by then.

"Ellie!" Daniel called.

"I need to go," I told dad.

"Remember, to tell Daniel what I said. Any funny business, I'll be cutting off his..." I hung up. I wasn't ready to hear it the second time.

"Ellie!" Daniel called the second time.

"Hold your horses," I yelled back. I entered the lounge room connected to the kitchen and watched as Daniel sitting in front of the television, putting the movie in the DVD player. I went to the kitchen, grabbing a popcorn packet and put it into the microwave. I could already hear the eery music playing from the lounge room.

You can do this Ellie. It's just a horror movie. They're not real, I told myself.

I headed to the lounge room feeling all pumped up. Then I saw the image of a dead man on the television screen and my eyes widened in fear. I almost dropped the bag of popcorn and I turned around as if I had just walked in on somebody naked. I heard Daniel howling with laughter.

In usual circumstances, I would've either scowled, pouted, or blushed. But I done none of those.

"Ellie, it's not even real," Daniel stated.

"I know but—" I turned slowly, my eyes fearfully looking at the screen of the man that was bleeding from the ear. "I never seen a dead man before."

"And this is coming from the daughter of a doctor," he said.

I frowned. "My dad doesn't work in a morgue," I pointed out. He saved lives, not killed them.

"If you were going to be this scared, then why did you even put this on your bucket list?"

I was beginning to ask myself the same question. At the time I thought it would've been easier than standing on top of a bridge, but I realised now that I gave myself too much credit. This was going to be hard, no doubt. I was somewhat glad that somebody was watching it with me, even though I had a feeling that somebody was going to be laughing at me majority of the time.

I sat down on the couch. I remembered when Daniel first told me he was going to watch the movies with me that he and were going to sit on separate sofas, but now, I changed my mind. If I felt something move beside me while sitting on a sofa by myself, knowing that Daniel wasn't beside me, I'd freak out. But if I felt something now, I could easily convince myself it was just Daniel. Or maybe it'd only make it all worse.

I tightly shut my eyes as I desperately clung to the cylinder shaped pillow as I heard the last piercing scream before the music started playing. I was never going to hear this song the same way ever again. I never felt so terrified in my entire life. It was like my heartbeat was attempting to drum its way out of my body and run away.

"You can let go now, Ellie. The movie's over," Daniel chuckled, and the pillow shook along with him.

I frowned. I fluttered my eyes open and found myself, instead of clinging onto a pillow, I was clinging onto Daniel's arms. I pushed myself, kicking him in the process and cornering to the other side of the sofa.

He laughed amusedly.

"Ready for the next one?"

"There's another one?" I groaned.

"Yes, Ellie. Four movies, remember?"

Why did I have to put this on my bucket list?

I groaned and leaned my head back and snapped it back up as quickly. I sat at the centre of the sofa, a dreadful feeling starting to overwhelm me. What if Jason was behind? What if he was standing right behind me ready to slice my throat? I slouched my shoulders forward, wrapping my arms around my legs, and hugged it tightly with my body, making my neck inaccessible for any serial killers.

This was how I was going to live from now on. In a permanent foetal position.

The first movie we watched was 'Friday the 13th'. It didn't help that the upcoming Friday was also Friday the thirteenth. I felt like Daniel picked this movie on purpose.

"Don't worry. This next one isn't as scary—I mean, it doesn't have any psycho killers," Daniel reassured.

I sighed with relief. "Good."

"But they do have a demonic killing doll."

My eyes widened and my heart began to drum rapidly once again.

"What? Why would they ever make a movie like that?"

"No clue. It's not scary... nothing compared to Friday the thirteenth. But who knows with you?"

Daniel stood up and instead of walking back to the sofa, he headed to the kitchen. "Where are you going?" I asked instantly.

He laughed. "I'm just getting water. Chill," he gestured to his empty cup.

"You can't leave me alone in here while another movie is starting to play," I yelled.

Daniel rolled his eyes. "The kitchen is right here. It's not even another room," he complained, gesturing to the open kitchen. "If you're so scared, how about you come with me?"

I observed my surroundings cautiously, checking if there were any dark figures lurking around in the apartment. I preferred that dad didn't come home to find two dead bodies stabbed brutally, thanks. Jason just popped out of nowhere in that movie. It was like he was in all places at once.

"Relax Ellie. It's just a movie," Daniel said, abruptly sitting beside me and wrapping an arm over my shoulder.

I jumped in startle and scowled at him. If he makes another sudden movement, I might legitimately have a heart attack.

"How do you expect me to relax? The scariest thing I ever saw until today was Jaws," I whispered as if Jason could hear me. He cannot know that I'm terrified of sharks. I would like my fears to be kept a secret from anyone who wants me dead.

I looked at Daniel who was stifling a laugh. Okay, maybe this guy wants me dead too.

Unable to control himself, he burst out laughing. "Jaws? You thought Jaws was scary?" he said, tears forming at the corner of his eyes.

I pursed my lips annoyed. It wasn't funny!

"Jaws is scary!" I defended.

"Is that why you wanted to swim in the ocean because you want to face your fear of sharks?" he asked. Yes, that was precisely the reason—so I can prove to myself that sharks have no intention to eat me. But do I want to admit that?

"No," I said, dragging the 'o'.

"You're so cute," he ruffled my hair. He stood up and headed to the kitchen again as the movie kept running. The sound of thunder erupted through the speakers and I jumped, covering my face with the blanket. This was so embarrassing.

Suddenly, the sound from the television stopped and my heartbeat heightened. No, no, no. What was happening? Did the power go off? Was Jason coming? I slowly pulled the blanket and I looked at my surroundings. Daniel was still at the kitchen, drinking a glass of water and the sounds returned to the TV.

"Hey Ellie," I heard.

"Yeah?"

Calm down. Like Daniel said, it was only a movie.

"What's the place?"

I paused. My body stiffen slightly as I stared at the television screen but wasn't exactly looking. The place, I repeated in my thoughts. I never thought about telling Daniel about the place and it never occurred to me before he would be wondering what it was.

"Something personal," I answered vaguely.

Daniel didn't push. He nodded and returned beside me. We watched three more movies, and it was finally over. I thought I was going to pass out from exhaustion. I tried to get the images of all the serial killers and demons out of my mind. Especially the doll. I couldn't get the face of that doll out of my head.

Daniel, however, was passed out on the sofa beside me. His snoring louder than he screams. I nudged Daniel with my foot, too nervous to let the blanket down. Daniel grunted and I nudged him again, but more aggressively.

"Ouch, what?"

"It's finished."

"Finally, now let me sleep."

"Get out of my house."

"It's an apartment."

"I don't care, go home," I mumbled. I don't really want him to go though. But he's a guy, and dad would throw a fit. I still hadn't told Daniel the threat dad made if he found Daniel still here when he got home. I knew that if I told Daniel, he would get up right now and head home. I guess I'd be sleeping with dad's cricket bat tonight.

"Why? We're friends. Friends stay over at their friend's home," he mumbled in his sleep.

"Cool. But we're not friends," I replied.

"What else could we be if not friends?"

He had a point. What else could we be?

"Fine, we're friends, but you're also a boy and I want you out of my apartment."

Daniel groaned and sat up. I was surprised how close he was to me. Mostly because I inched closer towards him while he laid asleep. I was scared that something would happen, and I didn't have someone to run to. But I was surprised Daniel didn't have a cocky comeback. Instead, he was looking at me. His brown eyes bore into mine, making me feel uneasy.

Not because that I just watched a whole load of deaths, but his eyes made me feel like he was searching into my eyes and trying to pull out my darkest secrets. Not in a bad way though. Strangely, like in a luring way that I actually wanted to tell him all my secrets. I wasn't sure how long he was looking but then suddenly, he smirked. "I'm a boy, huh?"

I sighed hopelessly.

"That's where you're wrong. I'm a man," he said proudly.

"I don't really see a man though," I replied monotonously.

He scoffed dramatically. "Yikes, fine, I'll go."

He got up and stretched before heading towards the door. I followed behind him. We were at the door when he turned around and looked at me.

"See you tomorrow, Ellie Bellie," he said through a yawn before leaving.

I locked the door with every lock the door had. I went to my room and locked the door as well. I made sure my windows were closed and there was no way anyone could open it unless they had the key to the lock. But you could only unlock it from the inside. I went to bed, hugging dad's cricket bat.

Don't worry, Ellie. If anything bad happens, at least dad would come in tomorrow and find you dead. You won't die unnoticed.

But instead of thinking about dying, I only repeated Daniel's words in my bed even though they happened earlier in the day. 'We're friends' and 'What else could we be if not friends?'

So, I guess Daniel really was my friend. And that, surprisingly, made me happy. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 59.1K 40
He needs a scholarship. She's... well, she's just being nice. To him, she's just another nerd. To her, he's just a washed up jock. But when he finds...
30.4K 830 34
He hates boring..and that's all his life has become. A boring job that he hates, a boring fiancé who hates everything that he's into and tries to cha...
263K 7.3K 29
|| Highest Rank - #40 in Teen Fiction (4-20-17) || [previously called The Bad Boys Nerd] [previously called Broken Love] {first story, so it's rough}...
51.6K 1.9K 44
Ellie Reed is not just your average teenage girl. She is popular because of her twin brother, Elliot. Also, the fact that she is almost friends with...