Black Butler: Demons in our H...

By shadowquill

Its London and young women are disapearing off the streets, what happens when an oddball assassin is targeted... More

Black Butler: Demons in our Hearts
Chapter 2: Matters of Pride
Chapter 3: A New Assignment
Chapter 4: Of Demons and Lies
Chapter 5: Skill Test
Chapter 6: What Happened Before the Rain
Chapter 7: Rainy Day
Chapter 8: Kat, Sick!
Chapter 9: Before the Investigation
Chapter 10: During the Investigation
Chapter 11:A reason for Tears
Chapter 12: Invitation to a Ball
Chapter 13: A Challenge
Chapter 14: A Promise
Chapter 15: A Choice is Made...to go on "Holiday"
Chapter 16: Poveglia Island
Chapter 17: The Dark Presence
Chapter 18: Another Challenge Looms...
Special: Christmas at The Phantomhive Estate
Chapter 19: Dance to the Rythm of the Night
Special #2: Bad Lemonade
Chapter 21: Consequences of a Lost Battle
Chapter 22: Of Selfish and Cute things...
Chapter 23: Visitor
Chapter 24: Why A Rhose Should Be Feared
Chapter 25: I Will Be There
Chapter 26: Calm Before The Storm
Chapter 27: Murphey's Law
Special #3: A Day At The Lake
Chapter 28: Stuck between a Wall and Something Inhuman
Chapter 29: "Say it Louder, Amico Mio...."
Chapter 30: That Butler, Is an Utter Fool...
Chapter 31: Game Start
Chapter 32: A Revelation...Finally...
Chapter 33: The Last Dance
Chapter 34: Fires of Destruction
Chapter 35: A Lady In Red
Chapter 36: No One But You...
Epilogue: That Butler....Happily Ever After...
Rhose's Special: Part 1
Rhose's Special: Part 2
Rhose's Special: Part 3
Rhose's Special: Finale
Preview: D. Gray Man: Where We Meet Once More
Special: Halloween One Shot
Kat's Song: Full Version (Return To Me)

Chapter 20: Culprit Found!

20.4K 629 108
By shadowquill

“Another mission my lord?” Kat and Sebastian stood at attention in front of the Young Earl’s massive wooden desk.

The little noble frowned seriously, “Yes, we have new information relating to the girl’s disappearances; it appears that all the girls have one thing in common, they all visited a bar on the west side of London before they vanished. I want you two to go and inquire about the girls, you may use force if necessary. The Queen is becoming more worried as more young ladies are disappearing, two every other night now. Make it quick, clean, and don’t forget you work for me, so be respectable.”

___________________________________________________________

Another mission, time to test out my skills again, hopefully this time I won’t get shot. Kat slid a pair of pistols into a holster that rested on her lower back, the last of the arsenal she would take with her tonight.

She already had the wrist knives strapped to her arms, throwing knives on her belt along with a short scimitar specially designed to be short enough to be used in close combat but long enough to be able to take a blow from a much large weapon. The last few surprises she carried with her tonight was a small pack of explosives from Baldroy and long carving knife Meyrin had filched from the kitchen for her.

The small kindness they showed her was enough to make her want to cry or at least thank god for the next million years that she had stumbled into this insanity.

“Are you ready to go yet?” Sebastian opened her door, looking like his usual self.

Kat finished strapping on the thin black leather collar that would help to prevent someone cutting her throat, “Yes, where are your weapons?” he brandished a dining fork and knife like a pair of cards. “Do not worry Kat I am more than prepared.”

“Then let’s go.”

Instead of taking the carriage like they had the last time they had tried baiting the culprit Sebastian had saddled the horses, Thank god. Kat slid up into the saddle easily; she didn’t get nearly as bad motion sickness if she was on horseback. When Sebastian joined her on the back of the bay mare opposite Kat’s dark gray gelding they gave the horses a slight nudge and they were off.

Racing through the midnight air the wind cutting through her, trying to tear her hair free of the tight braid she had would it into, Kat breathed deeply. This was the kind of thing she used to do, take out a target and then race like mad away from the scene to avoid detection as discreetly and quickly as possible.

There were a few times she really missed being an assassin, the freedom that came with it that is, she could do whatever she wished and not have to think about anyone else.

But I wouldn’t trade what I’ve found for the world; it appeared that living at the manor had spoiled her a bit in that regard.

The muscles in the gelding bunched as he sailed over a fallen log, the sound of his hoof beats brought Kat sharply back to reality. That’s right, have to think, pay attention; Sebastian needs me to be as attentive as possible.

________________________________________________________

The building looked to be deserted, a lone candle flicked in the upstairs hall, the only sign someone was there at all.

It’s just like that other place…Kat took in the shoddy masonry, cracked windows, and crumbling walls. I can’t believe someone works here; I can’t imagine that it’s safe.

A chill raced down her spine, someone is watching… Kat glanced up towards the window as she dismounted from the grey gelding, looking for any sign in the windows betraying her observer.

“Is something wrong?” Sebastian readjusted his gloves.

Kat responded slowly, something was definitely…different about this place, “I have this odd feeling. Someone is watching us, that I know, but there’s something else that I’m unsure of.”

“Then we should put your mind at ease and answer a few questions while we’re at it yes?” The butler offered her his arm, “I shall be your escort this evening into the mayhem and bloodshed that is sure to ensue tonight.”

Shoving him away playfully Kat started towards the building, her fingers itching towards her weapons. She had to remind herself constantly to not touch them, giving away their position.

The door to the bar creaked as it opened, the few patrons that graced its drinking hall were covered in a layer of filth and stench that would make a mud caked hog proud, only a rare few turned to inspect the newcomers.

We are seriously out of place…but as Rhose says, even if you don’t look the part play it, most of the time people will believe it anyway. Straightening Kat walked over to the bar and took an empty stool, “What garbage do you have that’s worth drinking?”

The bartender, a good foot taller than Sebastian and four times as wide glared at her with his one good eye, “We don’t get many ladies down in these parts all I’ve got is the ‘ard stuff.”

“Give me a shot, I need it.” Sebastian took a seat next to her, “Make that two.” The bartender grumbled but went to fetch the glasses.

“I did not realize you drank.”

Kat surveyed the room out of the corner of her eye, “I don’t, but if you’re a paying customer these kind of people will be more willing to talk.”

A cloudy shot glass appeared in front of her amber liquid filling it, “There you are princess,” taking a deep breath Kat downed the shot quickly, the alcohol burning her throat on the way down. “That was a nice start, give me another please.”

The man seemed to be impressed his one eyebrow had shot up after Kat hadn’t coughed or reacted to the strong spirits he had just given her and she knew he had purposely given her the strongest I the house. “As you say.”

This time when the man came back Kat swirled the liquor around in the glass, not drinking, “You know something? I haven’t had spirits this good in a while; you must have trouble getting them in here with all the disappearances going on around here.”

The bartender dried his hands on a dirty dishrag, “That be true, it is ‘ard getting the stuff in ‘ere when it was the drunks comin’ round. My names Tom by the way, all the regulars call me that.”

Kat smiled drunkenly, “Well if you keep getting this stuff I would be more than tempted to be a regular. Where do you get it from?”

“A man sells it to me, real cheap he does.”

“Cheap?” this sounds promising. “I can’t imagine that he buys them cheap, why does he give them to you cheap?”

Tom eyed her for a moment, “I don’t know, he does rent a room above the bar for free in return though.” Kat exchanged a look with Sebastian out of the corner of her eye, he nodded and slipped away.

“What’s your friend there doin’? It isn’t very smart of ‘im to leave a drunken lady by herself, things could happen.” He watched Sebastian’s retreating form.

Depositing the money for the drinks on the table Kat smiled at him again, “He just went out to make sure the horses are all right that’s all, you can keep the change.” It should cover the damages.

_______________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

“Are you ready?” Sebastian took Kat’s hand and lifted her up on to the roof beside him as soon as she was out of sight of those sitting at the window seats.

“Of course I am, why wouldn’t I be?”

“You were drinking.” He replied drolly.

“Yes, but I did eat a large supper before leaving, that will delay the effects of the alcohol a little. So shall we finish this quickly?”

Sebastian didn’t reply he merely gave her a boost up to the second story window. Tumbling through gracelessly Kat drew her wrist knives, prepared. The butler was only a moment behind her, silverware in hand.

Quietly Kat put her finger to her lips, gesturing to the room’s occupant, busily scrawling something across a sheet of paper. Sebastian nodded and approached the man as Kat slid back into the corner of the room where the shadows were the thickest. She did Sebastian more service as back up this way.

The man jumped a moment before Sebastian was within range of touching him, a pistol in hand, “How are you?” His hair was blonde and thinning, a few stray wisps covered his crown. A short narrow chin, pointed nose, and beady black eyes gave him the appearance of a rat.

“An emissary for someone important, now what do you know of the young women disappearing off the streets?” Sebastian ran his gloved finger lightly down the sharpened edge of a knife.

A sheen of sweat began to pepper the balding crown, “I don’t know what you’re talking about, now back away before I shoot you!”

Like you could hit Sebastian, you evil little…

Sebastian smiled cruelly, “Oh I believe you know what I’m talking about and if you wish to live until the morning I suggest you answer the question.”

“I have the gun! Not you! Who do you think you are?” The Rat man was not visibly shaking.

“I am a butler, what kind of butler would I be if I didn’t do this for my master?”

“Do what?” The man fairly screamed when Sebastian launched himself at him, only to be repelled. What on earth?

The air around them seemed to hiss as a thick black fog seeped under the door, a tall man in a dark waist coat smiled at them softly, “I would prefer if you did not attack my underlings, demon.” He glanced over at Kat, “And what’s this, another young lady ready for transaction?” She blinked and he was before her, roughly seizing her chin turning her head this way and that, “She is a bit on the small side, but I should be able to fetch a nice price for her all the same.”

Kat slammed her foot into the arch of his and brought her knives up in an arch, one aiming for his chest the other for his ribs. He easily caught both of her wrists twisting until the knives fell to the floor with a clatter. “How nice,” His eyes glowed blood red, “She has a bit of fight in her.”

“Kat!” Sebastian threw his knives embedding them in her captors shoulder. Instead of going down the man merely glowered at the butler over his shoulder, “You are interfering with me? How idiotic, but I am in no mood for a fight this evening, instead I will make sure to mark this lovely little flower for a future date.”

Her wrists still painfully encased in his iron grip Kat couldn’t pull away when he leaned forward, “This wont hurt a bit, not really.” He whispered in her ear.

There was a blinding pain in her neck as he bit down. She couldn’t help the scream that bubbled out of her throat and in the next moment the pain was gone replaced only by a dull throbbing ache in her bones.

Kat fell to her knees only dimly aware that Sebastian stood between her and her attacker, her world became blurry before it all went black.

________________________________________________________

The scent of blood was heavy in the air, Sebastian could feel the demon inside of him stir. It had been so long since he had had tasted a human soul.

He could hear her heart beat beating faintly more and more. “You fool.” He snarled, his own fangs emerging.

The other demon smiled and wiped the blood from his chin, “I must say her blood is rather delicious, I may devour her soul myself.”

“You will not touch her.” The dark aura that had entered the room with the other demon darkened as Sebastian own demon side came to front. How dare he harm Kat, I’ll kill him!

The other demon smiled, “You have gumption, challenging me, even if it is futile. Because you amuse me I will let you keep your little human, but know that she might not be entirely…the same. My venom has a tendency to have odd side effects.” He smiled once more, revealing fangs stained with Kat’s blood before disappearing with the rat man in a flash of light.

Da-, the faint sound of wheezing came to his ears. Kat…

Sebastian knelt beside her carefully cradling her head so he didn’t jostle her wound. She stared up at him with slightly glassy eyes, she smiled weakly at him, her face pale, “We didn’t win did we?” She croaked.

The butler could have laughed with relief, if she was asking about work she was at least lucid. “No, I don’t believe we did but, we didn’t fail either, we learned quite a few new things that are quite helpful. Now up we go.” He lifted her and carried her down the stairs and through the bar all the patrons fallen over their tables, dead.

That’s what you get for getting involved with a demon.

The horses pranced nervously; the demon scent still clung to his skin frightening the animals. A few calm words calmed them enough that he could swing up into the saddle of his mare with Kat in front of him, her head resting on his chest.

Picking up the geldings reins he turned them towards home.

__________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone, sorry this chapters a little late, I've been very busy recently and havent had much time to write or upload. To other news I plan on posting another short in honor of Mardi Gras, a little late I know but...hey what can I say? I'll somehow be late to my own funeral...Special Overview: Kat has a sip of Tanaka's 'lemonade'. I'll leave it up to you guys to imagine what happens next.

Thanks for reading and voting, it means a lot!

-Shadowquill

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 107 15
In the last episode of Season 2 of Black Butler we see that Ciel Phantomhive becomes a demon. For many of us, this is a tragedy. However, for some th...
973 12 9
What if the lovely and capable butler Sebastian Michaelis had a child and one day, the kid showed up? I'm this fan fiction Sebastian has a little gir...
44.3K 1.6K 17
Lily is a normal 18 year old in England. she works for a living and when she was thrown out on her 18th birthday she tries to find a new job only to...
123K 3.4K 26
(thanks everyone for your support!) A young girl's parents were both killed during her short lifetime, leaving their successful business and...