Whirlpool : The Novel

By cannibalzombie

Masory was running away from the police when she fell into a new realm. She was stuck and had to find a way t... More

Whirlpool : The Novel

131 5 4
By cannibalzombie

My pink hair seemed so unreal compared to the moss and bark. But not as much as my dragon horse.  It was taller than I, by least three of my feet and its horn spiraled outward. Not like those of petty unicorns, they were spread out like the end of a screw. The head and hooves were those of dragon descent. The feet held rock hard claws and its head was covered with armored scales.

We continued to walk among the trees, marking the land on paper stolen long ago. The realm, being solely ours, means all the charting is left up to me. For what I have seen and what I assume; we have only covered a corner of this hexagon shaped realm. I have always wondered what we will find in the next of days, a ditch filled with new creatures or maybe a tall mountain hidden by all trees. Nevertheless, there was no time to ponder while on the walk, we had to concentrate on the path.

I used to have shoes, stolen from a larger fellow in another place, another time. They had been hard to trek in so I left them to be decomposed. I was left with just socks which no longer cover my toes. But it’s alright, as long I watch the ground and let Dragon Horse go in front to smash the debris.

The sky faded away, opening the window to the stars. My walk slowed and became less aware. Dragon Horse knelt down and I laid on his back like a corpse. I swayed back and forth as he weaved through the tightly grown trees. Eventually he settled by a sweet smelling tree of oak. I managed to gather some leaves for a softer lay. Then we rested.

Warm air spread across my face.

“DH, I know it is you.”

He let out a blast of air which I believe was meant as a laugh.               

I toed around the abandoned sticks and other assortments till I got to a clearing. I flattened my foot into soft fur grass and started looking for lost nuts.

I was about to bend to collect a whole bundle of green nuts when my eager Dragon Horse charged and smashed them with his very hooves.

I sighed, "There was a pile of green under your feet. Now you will have to go find some more." I could see sadness eat his face so I added in, "But I bet I shall find them first!" and I took off, hearing heaving neighs in the distance.

I rested by a tree, waiting for Dragon Horse to finish looking. The man of sand must have came and shut my eyes because I had woke up the slime covered green nuts toppling over my head.

"Hey you found some! Good work friend."

I took the tip of my vest and dried the slime from his mouth. Then we split them between the two.

After our small snack we traveled toward a cliff. I had never seen such a cliff here, it seems to have just appeared. The trees were hard to get by, they grew so close together. Only a bug would be able to make it thru these small ways with ease.

I made a mistake, going through a set of trees front ways. I went ahead of DH so the trees weren't pushed away. Now I remained, unmoved between bark.

I was way ahead of my dragon horse so if he would find me I wouldn't know. I tried to move, I've been in other jams like this as a rogue but I can't remember the way I escaped though. My arm on my left seem more loose so I had thrust it forwards. It was done with great force, it freed the arm but also twisted me in a terrible position.

I witnessed the sun move and terror crept out of the shadows and into me. What if Dragon Horse took another path and assumes me to be up top.  Or he got stuck and is as scared as me? The thoughts swelled my brain leaving me with quick short breaths.

I decided to try again. I rocked my body to the left as far as I could go. My free arm gripped to a branch as I tried to pull out. I continued to do this till my arm gave out and a blister grew between my fingers. I started to grow tired and was about to give up and rest my head on the mold covered wood when I heard, noise.

I moved my head as far as I could to look back, but it was barely enough for I all I saw was the pink of my hair. But I need no to look because the noise grew to heavy neighs and I knew it had to be my dragon horse.

"Dragon Horse! Is it? It must! Please help, I seem to have gotten stuck."

I closed my eyes, unknown to what measures he might bring. The tree my back was squished against started to move and pain released. The involuntary sigh of relief came as I could turn back to front. He pulled the other tree away with his 2 horns, making it easier to move out.

Once free I attacked my beloved friend in the biggest of hugs I have ever known to give. I gently rubbed the scales on his head as we continued up the cliff, resuming our adventure.

Nearing the top, my eye caught on something, "Stop!" The half dragon half horse halted in the place, seemingly confused.

I jumped off in a jog toward the object. It was covered with the grim of nature, with only a fingers width visible. I moved away dirt and worms to uncover a much taller than gold staff. I was in the greatest of awes. I ran back toward Dragon Horse and the staff was even taller than it.

At its end contained a wire bubble with an astonishing blue colored gem in the center. The rest was all just very simple, a golden rod made just to support the treasure at the top.

"DH, would you happen to know where water might be found. I would like to wash away this dirt on the staff."

His head shook and he let out smoke from his nose.

"Well, let us go look!" I encouraged and I started down the cliff.

Of course this time, I let Dragon Horse get ahead of me.

At the bottom of the cliff we paused as I took out the paper with the map. I laid it on a near rock and made ink with a red berry. Then I drew a simple line that angled off with a little hook for the cliff. I had Dragon Horse blow his air over it which dried it in place and I put it back in the pouch.

We head off in a different direction from which we came. To my happiness it was fairly clear of trees making it easier to maneuver. Once we got a little further along, I decided to track our steps on the map. I was afraid we would get lost or I may forget the steps we take the water.

I broke the blackberries with my teeth and spread it across a rock for ink. I took my finger and rushed it across the page from the cliff. Remembering the way I moved to make the right curves on paper. This time I left the paper out to dry as we moved so I could easily add.

Meanwhile I still had to drag the staff around and with it being 5 of my feet taller than I, it became a very difficult task literally in my hands. Occasionally I would bump the head of my companion when I could not keep it straight. At first he would burn with his anger but he calmed and started to walk in front of me, at a respectable distance of course.

The sky painted itself a light pink, reminding me of my hair. I twirled it with my hand. I remained distracted and ended up running straight into the stopped dragon horse.

"Whoa, huh? Why'd yo--"

What laid ahead of me was the most beautiful site ever seen by my eyes or anyone eyes. The color was pure magical, made by the most artistic in nature. Just tinted a bit darker than the sky itself. Inside it was mixed with a mossy green, swirling around the center. Above all of this was three loud flowing waterfalls. The water sprayed feets from its source.

"This is--is magical! DH have you ever seen a thing?"

I waited for some response, but nothing.

"DH? Dragon Horse?!" I started to frantically shake his body, but no response.

Water kept spraying into my eyes, making is the most hardest to see. I made my way to his front. His eyes glowed the brightest of the blues, the color was of the water combine with the one of my gem. His stare went nowhere, if there was even a stare for I saw no pupil. Water started to move under the falls and the gem in the staff began to glow the same color.

"Wha-- Whah!" The staff would no longer move away from the water and I noticed the dragon horse being drug into the now whirlpool. I pulled with any and all strength that rest within my arms, trying to get the staff away from the water. I may have moved it some but it made not the bit of difference. I was terrified of what would happen if I let go, I was not even sure if I could let go.

The whirlpool had grown to the whole width of the water. Dragon Horse's legs were completely submerged in the water just from the waves that are coming up shore. The water was also rushing through the toes on my feet. The cold made me shutter as I slid through mud toward was seems as my death.

I screamed as I finally saw my beloved dragon horse begin to swirl around in the water. Completely without thinking I ran forward to him. I knew I couldn't save him, it would just get me hurt too but I didn't care. Once my feet landed into the water I was pulled along the path. The motion itself made me sick but I swam with it, trying to reach him. I made it there and grabbed him mane which stopped his eyes from glowing. With the trance gone, he became aware of what was happening and panicked. The sounds he made killed my ears, the worse they have ever had to bare. I tried to calm him, but me too was screaming. I was scared for his life and even my own.

We began to get lower, a dark abyss awaited us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

488K 21.5K 87
Nika, a halfblood vampire, faces conspiracies and dark magic during a hunt for her best friend - whose kidnapping has sparked a war between supernatu...