Devil May Cry ✔

By petra_the_first

She was the angel and I was the devil. I knew better than to fall for a good girl like her but something abo... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
Sneak Peak - Balanced Treachery: the alliance of traitors
28
30 Something Doesn't Feel Right
31 A Talk In Private
32 Taking Decisions And Bossing The Boss
33 Maybe A Little Too Fast
34 Mysterious Vacation
35 Didn't Change
36 Morning Kisses
37 Let's Go
38 Why So Soon?
39 Quite A Night
40 Coffee Sounds Perfect
41 Do You Want Some Icecream?
42 Hiring The Best
43 Want You
44 Please Be Okay
45 Thank You
46 Promotions
47 Second Chances
48 Reunite
49 Something More
50 Here It Goes
51 Emergencies
52 Letting It Out
53 The Best Memories
54 Meet the Devil
55 Why To Care Anymore?
56 Last Day's Events
57 Am I Crazy?
59 Lunch And Dinner
60 Where Is He?
61 Well That's New
62 Mini-Feelings
63 It's About Time
64 Closer Together
65 More Than Enough
66 Three Am Confessions
67 Again
68 At The Airport
69 And So It Begins
70 Not Over Yet
71 You Have My Word
72 Wondering Minds
73 Breakouts
74 Reminisce
75 Please
76 Gone
77 Killed Twice
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
What The Characters Look Like
Other Books
Author's Note

58 A Long Night Shift

239 12 0
By petra_the_first

I woke up and found Dylan next to me. I smiled as I looked at him while he was sleeping,he was calm and peaceful. I kissed his cheek,gently and then got up and left the bedroom. I went to the livingroom and looked at the mess that was on the coffee table.

I threw the bottles of wine and washed the cups of glass. I passed by a hanged clock and my eyes grew wider as I read the time. Three thirty pm. I instantly thought if Claire is worried now but maybe she hadn't noticed my absence in the morning.

I searched for a phone I can use to call her. I found a telephone in the living and dialed her number but I got transformed to a voice mail so I dialed the hospital's number.

"The Caring Hands Hospital." a man answered.

"Hi,can I speak with doctor Claire Houston?" I asked politely.
"Please hold."

I waited for a moment until someone spoke again.

"Hello?"

"Hey Claire,it's Angy."

"Hey Angy,why are you calling? Something wrong?"

"No,I just want to tell you that I'm not at home and my phone isn't with me,so don't worry."

"From where are you calling me then?"

"Long story,just don't worry."

"Angy,is there something I should now?"

"No,no,I told you not to worry."

"Okay,I have to go back to work,call me if you need anything."

"Okay,bye."

"Bye."

I looked around the room. What to do now. I decided to go to the library Dylan made for me. It took me a while to find it but eventually I did.

Scanning through the bookshelves,I picked a book and began to read it. I don't know how much time passed before Dylan walked in.

"I figured you'd be here." he spoke,gently.

I looked up for the book and smiled at him. "What time is it?"

He looked at his watch. "Almost five."

"It's getting late. I should go." I walked and put the book back to it's place. Two hands wrapped my waist and pulled me closer while a kiss was planted on my neck.

"Can't you stay a bit longer?" Dylan's breath hit my neck making my heart skip a beat.

"I'd love to,but I should go," I turned around in his arms to face him. "I'll call you." and I pecked his lips.

Dylan walked me out. I hopped in my car and drove back home.

Claire's POV:

"Bye." I finished my phone call with Angy.

"Hey doc." Luca walked in.

"There's something called knocking,Luca." I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Oh sorry it won't happen again."

"It better not." I muttered and went back to finishing a report.
"I just want to remind you about your night shift tonight."
"Okay,anything else?"

"Not at all."

"You can go now,then."

"Actually,there's something I want to ask you?"

"Yes?"

"Do you know Dylan?"

"What do you want from him?"

"I just want to talk to him,that's it."

"Dylan is always busy. I don't know if he can stop by and have a chat."

"I just want to talk to him,nothing else. I promise."

I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "I'll talk to him and see if he can see you."

"Really?! Thanks doc!"

"You better not provoke him into anything funny." I sounded a bit mean.

"I'm over my past," Luca spoke seriously. "And I don't like to be judge by it."

We stared at each other for a moment. Did I push it too far? No. Men deserve this kind of attitude.

"I'll go back to work." Luca informed.

I didn't answer and watched him as he left. Is he mad? And why should I even care.

Hours passed and soon the night shift is going to start soon. I called home and informed Kathy that I'll be on night shift.

I looked at the clock nine pm. And my night shift started.

Angela's POV:

When I got home,Claire wasn't there. At night Kathy told me that she has a night shift. Adam was bored so I thought about baking cupcakes with him before he goes to bed. After the cupcakes were done,we ate some and then went to sleep.

Claire's POV:

The shift had just started and I'm doing the usual check up. After that was over,I went over to the cafeteria to get something to eat. I went with a turkey sandwich and a salad. There was a table with doctors and nurses sitting on it and one of them called me so I decided to join them.

"I can't wait for this shift to be over so I can go home. I'm so tired." one nurse complained.

"It's been almost thirty minutes since the shift started." another nurse spoke. I looked around and noticed that Luca wasn't here,he's usually around joking with the employees or chatting with the patients and their families. You can't miss him in the crowd and everybody seems to like him because of his positive and joyful nature. Why am I even thinking about him anyways? He's probably fooling around like always.

After I finished my meal,I headed to the reception area and as I stepped foot there,I was quickly for an emergency. I hurried to the emergency room to find a teenage girl screaming in pain.

"What's her case?" I asked quickly taking action.

"She fell off the stairs and broke her leg."

I looked at her swallon leg that sat infront of me.

"My leg!" she began to cry.

"Don't worry,everything will be fine. Doctor Houston over here will take care of you. You're in good hands." Luca appeared and began calming down the girl as I worked,he usually does that when he sees the patient in pain.

The girl started to calm done listened to Luca.

"Tell me what's your name?" he asked her.

"Hailiee."

"You have a beautiful name just like you."

"Thank you." she managed to smile.

Luca and I worked on the broken leg and soon we were putting it in the cast.

I was alone in one of the hospital's hallways. I expected him to start cracking lame jokes like he always does or try to start a small talk about the weirdest things but he didn't.

"Good work calming down the girl." I said immediantly regreting it.

"Thank you,I was just doing mu job." he answered a bit dryly.

There was an awkward silence between us.

"I'm sorry for what I had said earlier in the office,I didn't mean to offend you."

Luca looked at me for a moment,shocked.

"What?" I asked questioning
his behavior.

"Nothing," he shook his head. "It's okay. It is a sensitive subject for me that's all."

"I understand."

There was another moment of silence before he spoke again.
"So the queen gets off her throne every now and then." Luca muttered.

I looked at him,"What does this mean?"

"Nothing." he smirked.

"I think you should get back to work." I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Right away doc." Luca returned to his perky, joking nature.

I mentally rolled my eyes and went to my office. This is going to be a long night shift.

***

"Hey doc." Luca burst into my office.

"What did I say about knocking the door?" my attitude was strict as always.

"I'll knock next time,promise." he smiled.

"Don't make promises you can't keep,Luca."

"I'm a man of my word."

"Sure you are." I mumbled as I consentrated on a result test for a patient.

"I brought you this,I assumed you need it." he placed a cup of coffee on my desk,infront of me.
I looked at the black,steamy drink. I could sure use some caffeine right now but what if he put something in it. No he wouldn't do that. Why would he? Because he's a man. Stop! Stop thinking like that! Not all of them were like that bastard! Yes they're all like this! No-

"It's coffee if you're wondering. " Luca interrupted my thought.

"Huh?" I asked not knowing what he's talking about.

"The drink,it's coffee. I didn't drug it I swear." he joked.

I hesitated as I took the cup and brought it to my mouth. After the first sip,I managed to mumble a 'thank you'.

"No problem. Do you need anything else?"

"Not at all."

"Okay,call me if you need anything."

"I can manage myself,thank you." I fired at him.

"I know I'm only offering my help,I am your assistant after all."

Seeing that I didn't reply,Luca spoke again. "I don't get it,why do you hate me that much?"

"That doesn't mind you."

"I think it does since you hate me."

"Don't you have patients to be checking on?"

"I got somebody covering for me. Now can you please answer my question?"

"Who do you think you are bossing me around?" I stood up from my seat furious.

"It's because of my past,because I was a criminal,right?"

"One's past doesn't define them."

"Then it's because I'm black."

"Are you crazy?! Of course not! Why would I hate someone for their skin color or race?! We're all sick human beings regardless of our looks and color."

"Relax I'm messing with you. Is it my jokes that make you not like me?"

"You're impossible!"

"Okay if I tell you a good joke would you like me then?"

"No!"

"Why did skeleton go to the cinema on his own?"

"What?"

" Why did skeleton go to the cinema on his own?"

"Luca get out of here."

"Because he had no~body to go with him." and he began laughing. I looked at him surprised at what he's doing.

"Go away."

"Tell me why you don't like me and then I'll go."

"Why do you care anyway?!"

"Because nobody dislikes me. I am undislikable."

"By just using this nonexisting word I don't like you."

"That's not a reason."

"Listen it's not personal,I hate every breathing man on earth."

"What? You hate men? Why?"

Great. Why did I say that?

"That doesn't concern you." I said dryly.

"Why do you hate guys?"

"Luca get back to work,immediently or I'll have to take serious measurements regarding your behavior." I was acting so mean but he's crossing the wrong lines.

"Fine,but I will get answers to my questions."

I didn't answer and watched him exiting the room. When the door closed I collapsed on my chair. What did just happen. What's his deal? God I beg you,I don't need something else to worry about.

***

It's almost five am and my night shift is finally over. I was so exhausted and was barely able to open my eyes but after three cups of coffee,two calls for patients,and Luca's endless lame jokes I was able to get through this shift and now I'm returning back to the house.

"Doc! Wait up!" You have got to be kidding me. I turned around and Luca was jogging towards. How the hell does he have energy to jog after working this late?!

"What do you want Luca?" I asked tiredly.

"Sheesh we're not in the hospital anymore. Outside we can be friends."

"I'd rather not make friends with my co-workers." I snapped.

"Are you sure,you're the one who doesn't want to be their friend?"

My eyes widened at his offend. "For your information a lot of people want to be friends with me."

"I doubt that." he smirked.

"I don't have time for this,spill what do you want from me so I can go to my house."

"I just want to wish you a good night or a good day judging from the time."

"That's it?"

"Oh and don't forget to talk to Dylan for me."

"Okay,anything else."

"Yeah have dreams about me." he smiled childishly.

"If they were about you,they'd be called nightmares."

"We both know they'd be called dreams,sexy ones be exact since I'm sexy and in them."

"No,you're an ogre that lives in my nightmare."

"Can't I be the prince in shining armour?"

"Sure,and I can be the dragon who smashes and burns the prince to death,it would be a lovely fairytale. Right?"

"Only if the dragon befriends the ogre."

"In your dreams."

"Princess,you can get off your throne everyone in a while. It won't miss you."

"Stop calling me a princess!"

"Stop acting like one."

"I don't act like one! Who do you think you are to talk to me in that way?!"

"See! You act as if you're the queen of everything!"

"It's none of your damn business!" I shouted angrily.

"Relax I was just messing around with you. You're so aggressive."

"Well you're an egoist!"

"Is that so?" Luca came closer with a challenging smirk.

"Yes." I stressed raising my nose high up.

"Competitive too."

"Don't try me." I clenched my teeth and hands into fists.

"Okay,I'll see you on Monday then."

When I noticed how close we were I quickly backed away,opened my car's door,and got in.

"Have sexy dreams,doc." Luca said with a smirk as I closed the door. I turned on the engine angrily and drove away as quick as possible. He's impossible,I can't believe how good he can get on my nerves.

I took a long,nice,hot shower when I came back home. I really need to rest. All the muscles relaxed when I got under the sheets in my bed and soon was drifting into deep sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87K 4K 48
"Won't you join the bath with me?" I tilt my head feigning innocence. He raises a brow coming closer leaning into me. "And why should I?" "Because...
2.4K 155 25
[ COMPLETED ] [EDITING IN PROGRESS ] { Book #1 } Warning: This story contains themes like self-harm,suicide,depression...ect It's not easy being a po...
343 5 12
While tortured and held captive as a prisoner of war, she became my reason to keep breathing. The force that fueled my will to fight. To survive. Whe...
Detachable By Dina Parks

Mystery / Thriller

207 14 25
Losing someone or something is not a choice or something it's predicted. It just happens. You cannot know when it will happen. The worst part of it a...