Harry Potter and the Children...

By Swissdog

This is the third installment , sequel to Harry's Future and Professor Potter, putting more emphasis on the a... More

Harry Potter and the Children of the Clan
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 17

3.5K 76 11
By Swissdog

Chapter 17

"So, Harry, any idea what to expect from your big friend tonight," Bill asked as they sat at the small round table on the faculty dais.

"Not really, Bill. I know he's around so we shouldn't be disappointed but I don't know what he'll do. From what he told me, I was pretty much in charge in the past."

"So, it's a question of who's the biggest show off, sweetheart?" Ginny asked from her seat next to him.

Fleur had the good manners to put her hand over her mouth as she tried not to laugh. It didn't help much. Harry scowled briefly at his wife and then looked out over the dance floor, thinking back to the day before last. He had been sitting at the end of the Gryffindor table sifting through some paper work when he 'heard' the familiar voice.

"Wizard."

"Dragon, welcome back."

"As I said I would be. After our last discussion I have revisited some of those parts of the world that I found to be the most perplexing. I have additional observations and questions. You will supply answers?"

"As I can, of course. But I should move to my office," Harry suggested, as he began to gather his things.

"This should not make any difference," the dragon replied.

"To us, true. However, my sitting here and not responding to my surroundings might be viewed with some concern by those around me."

"Ah, again, the consequences of so social a species," the dragon mused.

By the time Harry got to his office, the dragon was already laying out some of his continuing observations of the follies of humanity and its impact on the world. After a time the dragon requested Harry bring him up to date on the happenings of he and his family and associates. He was particularly interested in any information concerning the events that led to their separation. Harry had provided some during their first face to face encounter and the dragon was curious.  

When Harry got to the fight in the forest between Ronin, James and the five magic users, the dragon became very quiet. For minutes, it seemed, Harry could feel no sense of his presence. Then it hit him and he physically swayed under the psychic impact.

"THEY DARED INTRUDE UPON MY TERRITORY!" the 'voice' roared.

"Easy, please. It's a little difficult to talk to you like this with your words bouncing around inside my head."

"HOW WAS THIS ALLOWED TO HAPPEN?" the Dragon demanded, in only slightly muted tones.

"The forest is large and not all of it's territory is guarded. The Centaurs occupy and control only a portion. The intruders used brooms, we suppose, to get to the top of a tree and used the mundane expedient of climbing down."

"Retell the tale of the fight," the dragon insisted in a low growl.

Harry repeated the story as it had been told to him by both Ronin and James. When he was done the dragon said,

"They did well enough, so outnumbered, but it is to be regretted that there were survivors. I must look into this matter. We will speak again, Wizard."

"Be well, Dragon."

Harry couldn't be sure as he slept in the castle that night, but he was fairly certain that the sky above the forest was full of a seriously annoyed dragon. He had to smile a bit as he sat on the dais gazing out over the students who sat at tables, mingled around the edges of the dance floor, or for the more adventurous, actually were dancing. He could see Victoire in conversation with Ted while the rest of Vee's gang of roommates looked on. He wondered what they were up to. Had he been able to hear he would have been amused that it sounded alot like his conversation with Bill.

"So do you think the dragon will show up?" Vee asked.

"Our fella seems pretty sure he would. He better, otherwise it's going to make people pretty nervous," Ted replied.

"How so?"

"You and I know what happened. But if he doesn't show up, after whats happened in the forest and stuff, people will likely think the bad guys got to him somehow. Scared him off, killed him, or worse, turned him to their side," Teddy said with a frown.

"Oh, Teddy," Vee replied with exasperation, "you know that wouldn't happen, especially the last part, not after all that time he spent with Uncle 'arry."

"I know that, you know that, but it doesn't mean the rest of them know that," he said, indicating the students in the Hall. "I can just imagine what those rotters from Slytherin would try and make out of it."

Vee was about to offer a comment but was cut off by the sound not unlike a freight train at full throttle roaring overhead. Everyone's attention went to the ceiling where they were able to just glimpse a dragon's tail disappearing at high speed. Vee looked at Ted and said,

"Problem solved."

Ted just smiled and seemingly without thought reached out and grabbed the girl's hand and led her from the room as part of the general rush for the front doors. Up on the dais, Harry looked at his family and said,

"This should prove interesting. I've never seen it from this perspective before."

They made their way outside, trailing behind the bulk of the student body, who flowed out onto the lawn in front of the castle. The faculty remained on the stairs leading down from the great double doors while all scanned the night sky. The freight train roar resumed as the great green bulk rocketed over the top of the castle toward the lake. As he cleared the building he let loose with a great blast of fire, lighting up the grounds for hundreds of yards.

Once over the water he carved a tight turn, his wings fully extended, the tip of one cut a small wake in the surface of the otherwise placid water. He snapped out of the turn and with great sweeps gained altitude, allowing himself to be shillouetted against the full moon, before folding his wings and tipping over into a dive. Everyone but the first years knew what to expect but they held their ground until the very last instant when it seemed that he was going to land right on top of them.

With screams and shouts the students dove for the grass as the belly scales seemed to pass mere inches overhead, but in reality he cleared them by dozens of feet. As he passed by to once more climb, the students jumped up, cheering and laughing, or in some cases speechless. At the apex of his climb the dragon once more loosed fire, sweeping the flare of plasma across the night sky in a great arc. When the fire winked out he flared his wings and swept in to land in a walking thud onto the lawn. He didn't stop until he was able to bring his head to within a few feet of the first rank of students. 

 Staying on all four feet, he dipped his head down, the great eyes roaming over the transfixed mass of students, as if searching. Harry felt a hand tightly grip his own. Then a low voice said,

"Harry, what's he doing?"

"I don't know, love. He's not 'talking' to me at the moment. It looks like he's either sizing them up or looking for someone in particular," Harry replied just as quietly.

When those big green eyes fixed on a small group in Slytherin colors, Harry tensed a bit. He almost laughed when their robes were blown back as the dragon snorted in what could best be described as disgust. As the head swept on it stopped briefly at the knot of Gryffindor girls beside Vee and Teddy. The great head turned slightly, as if to more closely examine them and Harry could see Estelle sag a bit after he moved on. The other girls grabbed her arms to keep her upright. 

 After what seemed an eternity, but lasting only a few moments, the great beast reared back on his hind legs, wings spread fully wide and with muzzle pointed upwards he roared a bellowing blast that set the windows of the castle to rattling and what sounded like a few roof shingles to fall. This was followed by another blazing gout of flame. Then with a great sweep of wings and a lunge, the dragon was airborne again. He performed one more loop around the immediate grounds and then winged his way back across the lake in the direction of the mountains beyond the town.

For minutes after the dragon disappeared from sight the students and a fair number of faculty and staff stood staring out over the water. Then, almost as one, they turned to return to the hall. A great many discussions broke out, but all in hushed tones. Harry had indicated they should wait until they got back to their table before saying anything. He did wait until he was sure that Estelle Mickelthwaite was able to make the trip under her own power, but her expression looked distracted.

"Well, Harry, what did you think of that?" Bill asked after they had resumed their seats.

"I would say that he staked, or restaked, his claim in no uncertain terms. I know he was pretty angry about what happened in the forest with James and Ronin. As to the rest of it, remember, this is the first time he's seen them without me in the way. I think he has a way of, I don't know, measuring something about someone. I remember seeing that with Professor McGonagall that time," Harry explained.

"His reaction to those Slytherins seemed less than favorable," Ginny observed.

"'e should 'ave eaten them," Fleur remarked.

This got some raised eyebrows from her tablemates which she simply waved away.

"And something happened with the Mickelthwaite girl standing near Victoire," Bill added.

"Yes, there is something about her," Harry mused, remembering his first encounter with her while the dragon was still with him.

He didn't add anything more because he was interupted.

"Wizard."

"Dragon. A fine display this evening."

Harry received the distinct impression of a mental snort, a rather dismissive one.

"It is not a matter of displays. It is a statement, a warning. You should know, those of the snake sign should be removed."

"The Slytherins? They've been problematic, yes, but I can't imagine they'd do anything serious."

"The rot in a tree is not an active threat, yet it weakens the whole, so that when the hard wind blows, the tree succumbs. These are such a threat," the dragon countered.

"A point of view to be considered. My near sibling thought you should have consumed them."

The impression Harry got was that of disgust, but nothing further was said on the subject.

"You should also know, Wizard, that the young witch will be very strong. You did well in turning her mind but there is more to do. There is a darkness that runs deep. It is not great, but it is there."

"Miss Mickelthwaite, yes. I wasn't sure if we were done there, I thank you for the observation," Harry replied.

"There is a bond, an obligation. It shall be met. I will remain close, Wizard, for I like not the feel of this place. Vigilance is required."

And he was gone. Harry blinked a bit and saw that he was being looked at. He smiled a bit and said,

"My big friend had my attention. It seems we have some internal issues, big brother."

Bill simply nodded. Out on the floor the subject of the dragon and it's performance was being discussed by a variety of people with a variety of opinions. Without a doubt, the most intense conversation involved Vee, Ted and the second year Gryffindor girls, who were trying to get any kind of an explanation out of Estelle. They would be disappointed as she would not speak a word of it for days, and didn't say anything at all until the next morning.

When she was ready to speak about it, the discussion wasn't with her roommates. She instead went looking for Harry. She remained at her desk after their Transfiguration class was finished and looked expectantly at Harry as he finished clearing off his desk. He was fully aware of her presence in the classroom but he waited until he was sure that the rest of the students were well on their way.

"Is there something, Miss Mickelthwaite?"

"Yes, sir."

Harry nodded and with a flick of his wand he secured the room and moved to sit at a desk across from the girl. His expression was an invitation for her to begin.

"Sir, do you know if it is possible for a dragon to speak to someone? Up here, I mean," she said, tapping the side of her head.

"Yes, it is. I've had some of those conversations," he replied quietly.

The girl smiled a bit and Harry saw that some of the tension in her eased.

"Well, in a way, that's good news. I was afraid I was imagining things the night of the ball. On the other hand, it means I might have a problem."

"How so?" Harry asked.

"Well, sir, if a great big dragon looks you in the eye and says 'beware', I can't think of it being anything good. Do you know why he would say something like that?" she asked.

"I have an idea, but maybe you might be able to think of something."

The girl wrinkled her brow and pursed her lips as she concentrated and then said,

"He might have been trying to warm me about someone but I can't imagine anyone wanting to cause me harm, not around here. Or maybe it was supposed to be something more general, like the stuff you've been dealing with," she finished with a shrug.

"Miss Mickelthwaite, do you recall the discussion we had last Christmas?"

"You mean the dark arts stuff, yes, sir, but I thought we got that all straightened out. I'm still getting messages from the Weasleys and I haven't felt alone or angry in months. I was a little homesick this summer when I stayed at the Three Broomsticks working for Madame Rosemerta, but that wasn't so bad."

"I understand that, Estelle," Harry said, his voice mild, "but our big friend is capable of looking much deeper if he so chooses. If I tell you something, will you promise to keep it in strictest confidence?"

"Of course, sir."

"You have the potential to be a powerful witch. The dragon sees that. He also sees that because of what you've been through in your life, the issues we discussed at Christmas run very deep. That's what he meant by telling you to beware. You and I are somewhat alike in that respect. If the provocation is great enough, some very nasty things could bubble to the surface," Harry explained.

"You, sir? You're about the nicest person I've ever met," the girl said emphatically.

"I try, but you've only seen that side of me and under very limited circumstances, Estelle," Harry replied and then to drive home his point he related the story of Abagail's failed abduction, minus the details about his eyes.

By the time he was finished the young witch was regarding him with wide eyes and an open mouth.

"So you see, Estelle, we have to be careful about how we react to situations. If the future takes the course that we expect for you the results could be unpleasant, very unpleasant."

"I don't want to become some evil old witch," the girl said, her eyes pleading.

"I'm glad to hear you say that, Estelle. A very wise wizard told me a number of times that life was about the choices we make," Harry said and then stopped as if he was having a thought. "Come with me, if you would, Miss Mickelthwaite.

Harry unsealed the door and led the girl through the halls of the school until they came to the Room of Requirements. When he swung the door open he saw two chairs and an empty portrait frame. It would be well over an hour before the two would emerge again, he with a small smile of satisfaction, she with a thoughtful, but hopeful expression.

As they neared the stairs leading in the general direction of the Gryffindor tower Harry said,

"Are you feeling any better, Miss Mickelthwaite?"

"Yes, sir, quite a bit. There's a lot to think about though."

"Yes, there is. And thinking is fine, but brooding isn't. If your thoughts make you uncomfortable talk to someone. You said you're still getting messages from the Weasleys. Does that include Mrs. Weasley? And what about Abagail?"

"Both, sir, and pretty regularly."

"Good, they can be very good shoulders to lean on," he replied.

"Victoire is pretty good for that too, sir."

"Yes, she is, but remember, her experiences are that of a twelve year old. I'm sure she's a great friend and she'll do anything for you but Mrs. Weasley has seen and experienced just about everything our world has to offer, both good and bad. That's a source of great wisdom. And Abagail knows better than just about anyone the challenges of being different. And there's me."

"Yes, sir. And thank you, sir," she replied softly.

"Not at all, Miss Mickelthwaite."

Harry watched as the girl bounded up the stairs, easily negotiating two swinging stair cases, lightly touching down on the landings before hurrying on. Estelle the gazelle indeed.

Harry was feeling a little better about Estelle's situation as he made his way home via the Floo Network but he knew he would have to keep his eye on her and make sure he continued their discussions for the foreseeable future.

When he got home he found something that made him feel even better. A message from Flourish and Blotts was delivered indicating that a small collection of books had become available that contained a handful of exceedingly rare volumes that were more than worth the cost of the entire collection.

Harry would have to wait until Saturday to make the trip to the Alley but he was excited for the opportunity. It had been a while since he had been able to add to his collection. He thought he'd ask James if he wanted to come along.

"Thanks, Da, but Granddad is coming over Saturday morning to teach me some more about woodworking."

"Alright, son. It looks like we're going to have to make some more room in the basement for your workshop. Why don't you talk to your granddad and see what tools would be helpful. I'm thinking for Christmas," Harry offered.

"Oh, that would be brilliant, Da. Thanks," James replied. "I can think of a few things I'd like to have."

So Saturday morning Harry set out for the Alley by himself. He disapparated from the front porch to his usual spot by Gringotts. It was a busy day already with witches and wizards making their way up and down the pavements on both side of the alley. Harry stepped into the flow of traffic and headed toward Flourish and Blotts.

As was often the case he exchanged greetings with a few passersby and the distraction saved him from a potential catastrophe. As he turned to acknowledge a shouted greeting from across the way he saw a wizard step out of a shadowed doorway with his wand drawn and pointed in Harry's direction.

Years of training and experience had honed Harry's draw to lightening quickness but even he couldn't outdraw a wizard who's wand was already out and pointing at him. Instinctively he began to drop sideways in an attempt to get out of the way but even as he began to fall, the red beam of a stupify spell flashed past him from behind.

He watched as the beam hit the wizard squarely in the chest and the man seize up and pitch forward. The nearby witches and wizards scattered, some disapparated but most bunched up at either end of the alley, with more than a few with wands out. When Harry hit the pavement he rolled and came to his feet in one movement, wand out.

He didn't see another wizard that looked threatening but he did see the one that had cast the stupifying spell. He was an unremarkable looking wizard to anyone that didn't know what to look for. Harry recognized the stance, the nearly constant movement of the eyes and the way his wand was being held, but he couldn't place the face.

Two more non descript looking wizards hurried to the side of the one laying face down on the pavement. Seeing that all seemed to be in hand he turned to face the other wizard.

"Bon jour, le Professuer Potter."

Harry looked at the unassuming man, his eyes wide in surprise.

"Excuse me?" Harry asked.

"Please, come this way," the wizard said as he gestured to the door to Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.

Harry let the wizard precede him into his brother's store and move down one of the aisles, letting the tall shelves offer them some small measure of privacy.

"Your surprise is to be understood, Professor," the wizard began in nearly flawless English. "My name is Gilbert LaForge. I'm a with the French Ministry of Magic's equivalent of your Auror department."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Laforge. Are you here visiting?" Harry asked.

"No, sir. On assignment. As part of your security detail," the man said matter of factly.

"My what?"

"As you can imagine I don't know all the details, but after the incident in the Carpathian mountains, it was decided you needed someone to watch your back, as they say. Your Mr. Milligan was concerned that his people might be recognized so an exchange was worked out. A small international team has been keeping an eye on you and yours ever since," LaForge finished with a small smile.

"Hasn't this more or less blown your cover, then? There were a lot of witnesses out there," Harry said.

"Most likely, sir. I imagine someone you wouldn't recognize will be here shortly and I'll be going home. Might I ask what brought you to the alley today? It appears as if you were expected."

"I received a message from Flourish and Blotts that they had some rare books that I might be interested in. I'm something of a collector," Harry replied.

"Perhaps the book sellers can offer us some enlightenment?" LaForge suggested.

"Everything alright there, Harry?" George Weasley asked from the end of the aisle.

"Yes, George, thanks to my friend here. It looks like things might be getting personal," Harry replied.

"That again? Alright, let us know what you need," George offered.

"Thanks, George, but for right now, I think you better concentrate on you and yours," Harry said seriously.

George merely nodded and then watched as Harry and LaForge made their way outside and along the alley while the pedestrians began to go about their business. The clerk at Flourish and Blotts looked up as the door bell rang.

"Ah, Professor Potter, how good to see you today. It sounded like there was some sort of disturbance outside."

"Yes, there was, but it's been taken care of. As to why I'm here, I received a message that you had another collection for me to consider," Harry said.

The clerk looked puzzled.

"I'm not aware of anything, Professor, but then again I'm not privy to everything that goes on in the store. Let me check for you. One moment, please."

As the clerk disappeared into the back of the store, Harry shared a look with Laforge. They maintained their silence until the manager came out front.

"Professor, Courier tells me that you received a message from us about a collection. I'm sorry, sir, but we have nothing for you to consider and no such message was sent. May I be permitted to see it?"

Harry pulled out the sheet of parchment and held it out. He didn't put it in reach of the store manager so as to avoid further contamination of what was now evidence. The man shook his head.

"No, Professor, I'm afraid that did not come from us. The handwriting looks right but there is no mark. We put a small raised mark on the lower right corner of all our messages. Have you never noticed that, sir?"

Harry chuckled a bit.

"Yes, in fact, I have. I suppose the life of an academic has dulled my senses," he said as he turned to face LaForge. "Looks like it was an ambush."

"It certainly does, Professor. I think perhaps we should go and see Mr. Milligan. I'm sure he's already aware of what has happened," Laforge replied.

"Probably within thirty seconds," Harry said with a snort, before turning to the store manager. "If I write out a message to my wife, could I impose upon you to send it to her?"

"Absolutely, Professor," the man said as he pulled out a sheet a parchment, a quill and ink well, and a complicated looking pair of pliers that, when Harry was done, he used to emboss the store emblem in the lower right hand corner.

Seeing this, Harry shook his head. The note said he needed to talk to Milligan about the current state of affairs, which merely shaded the truth as opposed to ignoring it. He said it shouldn't take all that long and he'd be home soon. In fact, it was nearly dinner time before he was welcomed home by Dingle and a sizeable portion of the family.

What Harry failed to consider was that there had been a fair number of witnesses to the events of the morning and that George and Angelina were both at their respective shops. The word spread fast along the Alley, and even faster along the Weasley telegraph. So he found himself, at the prompting of a rather enraged redhead, giving a full account while also correcting some misinformation. When he was finished the looks he was getting from his family were universally grim. The selfsame redhead spoke for everyone.

"That's it, Harry. This is war."

The best response he could manage was a simple nod.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.2K 1.9K 19
ကိုကို .. ခင်ဗျားသာ ချစ်တယ်ဆို ဗုဒ္ဓကိုလည်း ကျွန်တော် ချစ်ပေးနိုင်ပါတယ်။ - အန်ဒရီရာ မာရစ်စတယ်လီယို - အန်ဒရီ x လွမ်းနွေ
69.2K 730 10
The shock of sudden death of Mr. Hale crushes Mr. Bell, rendering him unable to bring the sad news to Margaret himself. He is forced to delegate the...
1.3K 279 13
ඉතිං අයේ එයා එයිද? දන්නෑ ඒත් මම අදත් එයාව බලාපොරොත්තු වුනා මහන්සි නැද්ද මහන්සී. ඒත් මෙතනට එන හැමදාම එයා එයිමයි කියලා හිතෙනවා... දවසක එයි හිතමු එහෙම...
7.1K 117 12
This was wanted by a few people so I though why not? This is based on pinkdiamonddiva's Roomies minecraft roleplay, specifically for the Pink x Rusty...