Murder of Crows: Soul for A S...

By danfaxia

With a ledger dripping red, Lumiere has no choice but to always heed her father's 'call'. She knows her fathe... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Chapter 2

2.8K 96 8
By danfaxia

"Welcome to the Team"

"I think you'd love to stay here,"  Chris said as he offered another red-petaled soup to Lumiere who was completely enjoying the bowl.

The air in the dining room was light but intense. The males were cautious but also free.

Unlike the only female sitting on one of their wooden chairs. Lumiere is not cautious or free. She's strained and held down by unknown chains, never visible to anyone. The males would exchange glances with each other when she hisses or glared but the female would look at them without evident reason. She's a lifeless vessel.

Lumiere doesn't mind them that much. It was a miracle that they made her stay until dinner. Just a bit awkward sitting at a table with the team members of a guy she hurted. They haven't called her names nor used foul words towards her.

"No, State your rules or whatever." She even uses her spoon to point aimlessly.

Winter, who was sitting on her right chuckled at this action. Winter, whose face has been an attraction for Lumiere's fancy. Winter, whose voice is shockingly deep for an kind open-faced guy.

"You're staying for soup." He pointed out.

Lumi made sure to finish her soup before she put down the bowl with a loud bang. Chris, the leader, was not bothered by them as he continued eating while the other members watched silently. The girl leaned in his direction with the silver spoon in her fingertips.

"Here, I like your face, pretty boy but I need you to shut your tatty mouth if you still want your eyeballs intact. You wouldn't want them carved up by this spoon, honey. Not if I can put it back." She sweetly whispered with an innocent smile on her lips. The members can only laugh secretly as Winter chokes on his food.

Chris tapped on their table twice to gain everyone's attention. A fair action of a leader.

"Look, Stay for tonight and I'll let you decide whether you want to stay or not. The decision is not in our team's hands.  We can't just let you go out of the door because we don't know what Sir Simeon's plans are. I can't risk my members. " He got a point.

Lumiere knows that the team has a close connection with each other. Even their eyes have the same sparkle.

Surely, they can't risk each other. Not just because of a newcomer that is supposed to protect them. It is because they know that Simeon is one sly piece of hell. He would certainly accuse the team. Of kicking his child out of their home, of opposing his command, of tossing his chess piece aside. Anything.

Just so he can hurt them.

Lumiere nibbled her nails to calm down which soon stopped when Mason filled her bowl with soup again. She shortly dug in letting the red liquid flow down her throat.

Convincing herself that it can be a perfect substitute for her needs for luscious crimson substance.

It can't.

Lumiere blew bubbles on her lips when she calmed down, "I can't risk your team too. I buried enough bodies to have an ocean of enemies. I planted enough sorrow on creatures that might come for me. What if I killed someone you guys loved? What if I was the one who was supposed to kill someone from the team? Or maybe even the team itself?" She fixes her position.

The males unconsciously mimic her movement.

"Here's the tip, stay as much as you can from me. Use me as your weapon or a shield-like everyone else, I don't have any objections to it. " She explained while directly looking right through the leader's eyes. It was cold and warm at the same time that Lumiere felt the emotions of its beholder.

Chris sighed and was about to speak again when another guy waltzed into the kitchen. He placed a folder right in Chris's hands and made his way to the refrigerator.

Lumiere's shoulders slumped with slight annoyance, "Theo, Are you part of the team too? Why didn't I know?" She asked with slight annoyance.

The man, Theo, dismisses her with a hand movement and smiles cheek to cheek showcasing his complete set of white teeth and little fangs.

"Nah, I'm their adviser of some sort. Win, where's the cake?" Theo asked as he rummaged through the team's refrigerator.

Instead of receiving an answer, the phoenix received a small knife from the girl that stands behind him. Freshly from her thigh.  "That's why you left ?"

Theo looked up and smiled gleefully, "Thanks for the knife but, there's no cake yet plus I didn't leave you there to rot. I left you there because you have your potential and I'm already a thousand years old. You're my friend, not my granddaughter or my sugar baby. If I die, everything I earned will be given to you. I wouldn't want that." He returned Lu's knife as he tapped Chris's shoulder before leaning in his friend's chair.

"Theo? Isn't this folder...."

"Empty? Yeah, It's been like that since she arrived at the headquarters. I tried to test Tobias' memories but that guy almost ended me. He strangled me!" Histerikal na sagot ni Theo at humigop pa sa soup ni Lumiere.

"Dami dami mong pinagsasabi. You're a freaking phoenix, Theo. Your heart will only be burned every certain year. You will never die. That's why I befriend you." Saad ng babae.

Theo didn't answer her but instead, he runs his fingers through the soft brown curls sitting perfectly above his head. If anyone were to approach the man, the first thing they would notice is his ocean blue eyes. Ocean blue eyes that would suck one in and put people into a trance.

Lumiere shakes her head. "Why are you even here?" Nakakunot noong tanong ni Lumiere bago bumalik sa pagkain.

"I brought your things. They're upstairs." Sagot ng lalaki at inagaw na ang folder kay Chris.

"I'm not staying here. I'll go back tomorrow morning." Inis na sabi ng babae at tinignan pa ng masama ang kaibigan na hindi ito pinansin.

"What made you think that you have a choice? Trust me, Lu. I've been watching you over for the past 17 years and all I can tell you is to stay with this team." Ani Theo kaya naman pinaningkitan siya ng kaibigan.

"How do I..Theo...How do I even trust someone from the headquarters? You're all fucking scumbags with stories no one wants to tell. 17 years and all I heard from everyone are just fucking orders, using me for gain and to receive all..all karma to stay safe at the end. I'll be the one who will die in karmic consequences and you're telling me..to trust you? Simeon's direct subordinate? Do I look like a fool to you?" She said, shutting everyone out to continue eating as she burst out her thoughts.

Lumiere inhaled sharply as she suddenly felt a sudden cold air run down her spine as Winter traced her spine.

"Calm down," He whispered, to which Lumiere nodded.

"You guys are surely fine with this, no?" Lumi asked as Yuel poured water into her glass.

"We always bicker around, you know, to keep the house alive. Just don't burn the house down." Yuel said, gesturing to her to drink the water.

"Yung totoo, Lumi? Just think of this one thing, why did you let Winter calm you down? You also had the chance to end Yuel, yet here he is, eating his steak with all pleasure and no injuries. We can't say that your bloodthirst stopped because we know that it still sits within you. Maybe you can control it around your new team? Meh. Just stay here, Lu. They won't do you bad." Theo caresses her hand in all gentleness.

"You'll be fine plus this is the freedom you always wanted. I'll be here with you, kid." He said with a small smile.

Lumiere retrieved her hands, "Fine."

Truth be told, Lumiere felt comfortable with the team. They are kind and welcoming. They are everything those people aren't. That's why she didn't want them to be involved. She didn't want to hurt anyone.

"I'm going. See you around. Take care of my friend for me or I'm going to throw you a difficult mission." Theo winked and waved to them as he slowly transformed into a red flaming bird. The windows burst open until he fled.

"Yuel's dreams are true," Unang sabi ni Chris at saka tumayo. "Sir Mora's planning something,"

Lumiere leaned on the table as she gestured to their leader to continue. Chris sighed, "You've been trained since your first 3 years. Locked up and chained when failed to do a task. Ran away until you had no choice but to be summoned by Simeon's words. Another year and he lent you to my team. Isn't it suspicious?"

Lumiere's small fit of a giggle while ducking in the table turned into laughter. A psychotic one. "A fucking great father, isn't he?" Then a small smile stayed on her face as she closed her eyes to calm down. She licked her lips as she decided to stay silent.

Chris smacks his lips as he turns in Yuel's direction to give the youngest a nod. "Formal introductions would be reserved for tomorrow. Take a rest and let Yuel guide you to your room. Math's in charge of the dishes today. Don't think about it." Chris said, leaving no room for Lumiere to protest.

Umakyat na ito na sinundan ng iba maliban sa tatlo. The guy that Lumiere assumed to be the Math guy began to clean their plates, not minding her presence or the other.

Yuel, the guy she 'punished', has dark blue hair, and small eyes that would disappear when he smiles. Nothing too special. Nothing too big.

"Question," Yuel said as he saw Lumiere ready to stand up.

"Gladly,"

"Would you stay?" He started letting Lumiere absorb the atmosphere.

Would she stay? She said no earlier but Theo made her realize all the matter at hand. If she leaves them, Simeon would pin them in a pressure point. If she stays, they are raising every risk for every second. Fate loves to play with her, no?

Math suddenly tapped her shoulders to gesture for the cup she used. "You can stay like what we were trying to tell you. Don't think about the risk you might bring. Every member here plays with Lucifer. You won't be different." Math plainly said as he started the faucet.

He folds his arms and leaned against the sink to smile at Lumiere.

"Welcome to the team, kid. You can't leave us now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

511K 31.1K 37
"Don't touch that man." "Why not?" "He has a beast guarding him." I am that beast; Nora. I woke up as the villain of this book, destined to die after...
1.7K 364 52
UNDER HEAVY EDITING Love. That's a strong word. It breaks you into a million pieces yet somehow manages to put you back together. Power. Self explana...
14.2K 346 50
"No!" He yelled, making me jump back a bit. "I am the Alpha of Phoenix Moon! I am not a victim! I am fine." "Atlas, listen to me." I wept. I went to...
2.1K 110 86
"One's life can change in an instant...I never thought it would happen to us." Book One - Timeline 6 18 5 5 4 15 13 Volume 1 | Phoenix | Chapters 1...