The Highlander's Touch

By dkcombs

*Want a paperback copy? Go here: https://goo.gl/forms/lhJx5X63RTGG90T93 (The link is also on my profile)* T... More

The Highlander's Kiss (Book 2) is NOW LIVE - And in a Boxset!
Copyright and Disclaimer
THT | 2
THT | 3
THT | 4
THT | 5
THT | 6
THT | 7
THT | 8
THT | 9
THT | 10
THT | 11
THT | 12
THT | 13
THT | 14
THT | 15
THT | 16
THT | 17
THT | 18
THT | 19
THT | 20
THT | 21
THT | 22
THT | 23
THT | 24
THT | 25
THT | 26
THT | 27
THT | 28
THT | 29
THT | 30
THT | 31
THT | 32
THT | 33
THT | 34
THT | 35
THT | 36
THT | 37
THT | 38
THT | 39
THT | 40
THT | 41
THT | 42
THT | Epilogue
The Highlander's Kiss [Book: 2]
SIGNED PAPERBACK AND KINDLE GIVEAWAY
Update on The Highlander Legacy Series - Book 3 Coming Soon

THT | 1

367K 8.3K 1.4K
By dkcombs

There were times when Saeran Sinclair felt the need to wring some throats.

Right now was one of them.

"Perhaps we should rethink this," she said for the hundredth time that morn. Her frustration was barely veiled behind the patience she was forcing herself to use with her sister.

"Nonsense," Blaine said, for once again, the hundredth time that morn. "We've been over this, sister. 'Tis for the best. I am doing this to protect you. Can you not be grateful of that? Do you want us to be separated? Is that what you wish?"

Saeran pressed her lips together.

"You know that is not my will. However, I think there is a better way to go about this. What if someone finds out? I don't have the deepest voice in the Highlands."

"Many a lad have squeaky voices. You're my younger brother, Sae. Not older. 'Tis not expected of you to look like a brute."

"I have bréasts," she said bluntly. Her sister didn't seem to understand this. She had bréasts that were nearly too large to be hidden with binding, and hair too thick and curly to be kept in the tight bun she had decided to make. "He will eventually take notice."

Blaine gave her a patronizing look. The need to wring her throat rose again. Her sister did not understand at all.

"If you play your part and help me like you promised, it won't be a problem. He'll be under my thumb so strictly that when we reveal what you really are, he won't think of sending you away. You can live with us, and life will be well. You'll see."

Then, just like that, she turned to the window of the carriage and forgot about Saeran's life-altering problem. Like it felt her pain, the carriage tipped to the side and Blaine gasped, head hitting the edge of the window.

Saeran hid her pleasure by following her sisters example, looking out the window. The Highlands were beautiful this time of year. Rolling green hills, thick bursts of forests, and flowing rivers. It felt right—like home. It had been so long since Saeran had been to the Highlands.

When their parents, Lord and Lady Sinclair of Wilkshire, had been alive, they'd stayed in the Lowlands. Blaine had flourished in court, opening like a flower to possible suitors and the gossip that swirled around like the wine and intrigue. It was never ending, and had quickly turned into a pain for Saeran.

Still, in a way, she should be grateful for their time at court. They were the last peaceful moments they'd had with their family, and while it was the court's influence on Blaine that had gotten her into this situation, she couldn't make herself regret it.

If only they had been going to the Highlands for a more pleasant matter.

Saeran sighed.

"Don't be so woeful," Blaine snapped from across the small area. The forest green and gold coloring of the inside of the carriage only made it seem smaller. "You sound like a lady."

"I am a lady," Saeran muttered, crossing her arms over her chest. The tunic was loose enough to give room for her bréasts while hiding her curves. It was a small pleasure for the pain she was going through.

"Aye, but you do not look as one, and you certainly should not act like one. Saeran, fix your hair. It is starting to fall out of the bun." The only reason Saeran listened to Blaine was because she was older and looking out for her. Otherwise, she would have reached across the carriage and followed out on her mental threat. "We should have sheared it clean off. It wouldn't have been a problem then."

Saeran started to sigh again—then cut herself short. No reason to give her sister more to complain about.

She undid the pins holding the cap to her head and gathered the soft ringlets in a fist, reaching farther up to re-tie the bun. When her hair wasn't piled on top of her head, it was shoulder length—half of what it had been before this whole fiasco. Her throat was tight as she threaded her fingers through the short curls.

Her hair had been the single redeeming thing about her.

While her sister took every ounce of beauty from their mother, Saeran had been stuck with only one thing to enhance her soft features. Her hair. Once, it had been long, golden, and falling in tight ringlets  that curled as naturally as the sun shone.

"Aye, we definitely should have sheared it off. When we get to the keep, I will talk with a maid about a pair of shears." Blaine reached over, patting Saeran on the hand comfortingly.

It didn't comfort her at all. In fact, it made her stomach drop. She'd definitely drawn the short-end of the stick, but Blaine was the oldest...and the bravest. Only her sister would be courageous enough to take on The Lion of the Highlands—and as a prospective groom, no less.

"Did you hear me, Saeran?" Blaine snapped her fingers in Saeran's face, drawing her bitter attention. There was only so much nagging Saeran could take in a day, and she was reaching her limit.

Thank The Lord they were almost to The Lion's keep. In no time at all, she would be settled in a room, and hidden from sight. Mayhap then she could take a relaxing bath and unbind her bréasts. Her breath was short and painful, and the relief she craved was much needed.

"Of course, sister," she murmured demurely, finishing her bun and pinning the cap back to her head. It took every bit of strength she had not to growl at Blaine. She'd like to see her sister with bound bréasts.

Although, it probably would not have the same effect. Blaine's bréast were much smaller than Saeran’s, blending in with the softness she had.

"Good. Now, I think we should smudge your face up a bit more with dirt. We will be there soon, and I fear that some of your feminism is showing."

Of course it is, you ninny. I'm as much a lady as you are. I can't become a boy over night, even if I do have the name of one. Saeran held back the retort, as much as she wanted to let it fly. Her sister had been nagging and pestering and picking at her since the plan entered her head.

Saeran watched her sister notify their horseman of her wish to stop and sighed.

"What?" Blaine asked sharply.

"Nothing. It's lovely out. I'll look forward to the chance to stretch my legs." She couldn't help the shortness in her voice.

Blaine's harsh expression softened. "You must know how sorry I am for all of this, but it is for the best. It must be horrid, being bound and trussed up like that. If any of the ladies at court saw you in those trews, the scandal would be horrendous!"

Tears welled in her sister's pretty brown eyes and some of the anger washed out of Saeran. She reached over, feeling terrible for her attitude. She knew her sister only meant to protect her and keep them together.

"No one will find out," she promised, rubbing her sister's back. "Just as you said, we shall stay together and you will marry The Lion." A tear rolled down her sister's face. "I shouldn't be so ungrateful. You must be terrified of what's to come."

Blaine's distraught face only makes Saeran feel worse. "You know what they say about The Lion. We have both heard tales of him."

Saeran nodded.

The man was a brute, the fiercest warrior in all of the highlands. It was said he had the strength of ten men in each arm, and one heave of his claymore could slice a man in two with ease. His keep is reported to be strife with hate and distrust from everyone, and the people were only loyal out of fear. She heard that he killed his own sister and mothet out of anger.

Fear for her sister came over her. Blaine had a rare confidence that The Lion would only break. The sacrifice she was making for Saeran made tears build in her own eyes. She did not want her sister to be married to such a barbarian, but orders from the king were orders, no matter that they were cousins to King James.

The thought was too daunting for her to dwell on, so she forced it from her mind.

Saeran put a slender arm around her sister's back. Blaine had the softness that Saeran never had, and no matter how much Blaine encouraged her to gain weight, her body would not keep it. She had a thin waist, arms and legs. Basically, as Blaine had pointed out time and time again, she had the body of a boy with the exception of bréasts. She even had a boy’s name, courtesy of her father pining after one.

Another reason Saeran was better suited for her role as the brother, despite the danger her sister was in.

"Aye," Saeran murmured, patting her sister's head awkwardly. She'd never been one for affection, giving or receiving. Unlike Blaine, she hadn't flourished under the influence of the court, and had rarely partaken in any of the events that would make her socially adequate. Their mother had been the only one with the tenacity to show her the error of her ways. Her father, Lord Sinclair of Wilkshire, had been busy recounting battle tales with his friends.

Blaine looked at her sharply. "'Aye'? Is that all you can say for what I'm sacrificing?" More tears welled in her eyes and Saeran flinched. "I'm sacrificing my body for your freedom, and all you can say is 'aye' to me?"

"Blaine, I—"

The carriage jostled, throwing them both to the side.

Blaine's anguish vanished as soon as it appeared, panic replacing it. "What was that?"

"We may have ran over a rock—"

The carriage jerked again, this time worse. There was a shout from outside, sounds of pounding hooves, and the clatter of swords.

"That wasn't a rock," Blaine whispered frightfully, clutching Saeran by the arms.

"Aye."

Saeran pushed herself away from the seat as the carriage came to an abrupt stop.

"Again with the 'aye'," Blaine hissed. Well, at least she wasn't crying.

"Hush," Saeran said quietly, reaching under the seat. This was her father's carriage and he had always been prepared for the worst. They had been accosted by ruffians once before, and her father's men had taken care of it. That hadn't stopped her father from reaching for protection, and now she called on those memories to take the dirk that was strapped underneath the seat she'd been sitting on.

It was cold and heavy in her hands. Holding it made her want to vomit. She had never been a violent person—she much preferred her books and numbers. But she couldn't leave her sister to suffer a fate worse than death, though she was sure it would come shortly after they finished with them.

Blaine was a beauty. No man would hesitate at possessing her. A sour taste climbed her throat and she clutched the dirk tighter.

The false sense of security she felt with it in her hands was cut short. The second the door opened, the harsh spill of light from the door blocking her view of the thick man holding open the door, all courage she'd felt slid straight to her stomach, her heart joining after her.

There was a tense, horrible silence.

Blaine started to cry and Saeran backed farther into the carriage out of the grasping hands of the barbarian that was grabbing for them. Her back hit her sister's drawn knees.

"If you back away, I will not harm you," she threatened weakly. Even through the danger, something told her to keep up her pretense as a boy. Her lowered tone might need some work, but it served in making the man pause.

Then he laughed.

"We mean no harm, lad. Donna fash yourself. Step out and we can carry out proper introductions, aye?"

Saeran swallowed thickly. His voice was rough but pleasant, thick with the Highlander brogue.

"How do we know you're not planning to carry out your attack the moment we move out of this carriage?" she demanded boldly. Blaine's fearful hand on her arm gave her strength she didn't possess.

"They're Shaw warriors, come to escort you."

The face of the footman they'd hired for the journey poked his head into the carriage window. There wasn't a sweat of fear on his face, a sign that he wasn't being forced to vouch for them.

She relaxed her grip on the knife, but didn't back down completely.

"I heard shouts," she said. Blaine rustled behind her, and then her sister was pushing past Saeran in a flurry of rose perfume and skirts.

"Do not be ridiculous, ," Blaine chided, hands fluttering delicately in the air. She knew it was a sign for her to quiet down before her sister became angry.. She had never been an actor, but she was going to pretend she was one until it was safe to reveal her true identity.

"These men are not a threat to us. Put the weapon down before they take offense." She gave the warrior standing in the door a blinding smile. He returned it with little vigor, but it was enough to convince Saeran to slide the dirk into the leather belt around her waist. There wasn't a sheath, but the cross-guard kept it from slipping.

Still, she kept her hand on the hilt, watching them.

If push came to shove, she'd probably cry, then attack, but at least she'd be doing something to defend them.

The warrior stepped away from the carriage and Blaine went after him, acting like a damsel in distress and holding onto both his arms as he lowered her to the ground. Most of the English men at court had found lifting her more difficult than she would have liked, so when the man showed no signs of exertion, Blaine preened.

As a 'lad' now, she had to help herself out of the carriage. No gentlemen to take her hand, no footman to be concerned about her as she exited. She didn’t miss it per se, but stepping out on wobbly legs made her look like a ninny.

Saeran held onto the carriage as she stepped into the small clearing they had been stopped in.

A silence fell over the group as she took in the large, looming men. Fear choked her. Even if these weren't enemies, one wrong move and they could rip her to shreds.

Her and her sister.

From what Saeran could see, there were twenty men. All large. All terrifying. All glaring at her and her sister like they were pieces of meat their laird told them they couldn’t eat. Their faces were dirty and harsh, just as cruel as their rugged bodies. Their plaids were threaded with yellow, orange, and green. They were Shaws, no doubt about it. Not only did they wear the colors, but they all looked as fearless and barbarian as they were claimed to be.

The one who had found them inside of the carriage frowned. Saeran tensed, grabbing for her sister’s arm.

“The king said there were two lasses. No’ just one.”

Blaine held onto Saeran’s hand tightly, just as terrified as she was.

“The king has too large a family to remember them all accurately,” Saeran lied, forcing her voice to be deep. It hurt—and she felt utterly ridiculous. But the men seemed to buy it, so she pressed on. “There’s only my sister and I.”

“How old are ye’, lad?”

Saeran grit her teeth at the word ‘lad’.

“Two and twenty—“

“Oh, my,” Blaine exclaimed, voice weak. Saeran slid her arm under her sister’s back worriedly, supporting her even though it took effort. “The strain of the events has made me…made me so tired. Saeran, tell them we must hurry to the keep, afore I faint dead away. Please, dear brother.”

Saeran thought Blaine was laying it on a little thick, but it did the trick. The men heard her not-so-quiet whisper. Half of the warriors saddled their horses, the other half going to the carriage. The one that had found them came forward, leading two mares. The leader of the group, Saeran assumed.

“I had thought we would ride in the…” Blaine trailed off as the man picked her up by the waist, slinging her onto the saddle.

“The ride is too rough for a carriage like that, lass. The men will take yer things. If ye’ need assistance, ye’ can ask yer brother or m’self.”

Just as he said, men came out, each holding a trunk—mostly Blaine’s. Saeran had never been one for clothing and jewelry, and since she was posing as a male anyways, she hadn’t brought along many gowns anyways. Most of her wardrobe consisted of trews, tunics, and a lone plaid that survived the fire.

Aye, it was definitely a step down from the extravagance of Blaine’s attire. Right now, she was dressed in a deep purple gown that accented the stark blackness of her hair, which had been left down and around her face for the journey, though it was not proper at all.

Blaine seemed not to notice, though the other men did. Saeran had to bite her tongue against saying anything to the men as they stared at her sister. Their expressions were stony, cold, unwelcoming. She had no way of knowing what they were thinking. Blaine was too busy examining the leader of the men.

“Are you The Lion?” her sister asked boldly. Saeran sucked in a breath, shocked.

“Blaine,” she hissed, taking the lead from the man. She was so stunned by her sisters frankness that she forgot about the issue of mounting the horse. She had always preferred her books to other things, like learning how to mount and ride a horse. Now, she gravely wished she had taken an interest in horses. The one in front of her, a gorgeous bay, leaned its giant head towards her, nuding her by the shoulder. She jerked away. Oh, yes. She should have definitely taken an interest.

This journey was going to be a pain.

“Quiet, Saeran. I’ve asked the barbarian a question and I would very much like an answer.”

In an instant, the air stilled.

All of the warriors froze.

Even the footman paled.

Saeran felt the world shift under her feet as Blaine’s words echoed in the silent forest. She was too shocked to move, too horrified at what her sister had said to react. The horses around them hooved the ground nervously and Saeran’s blood went cold as the leader’s lip lifted in a silent sneer.

She reached for the dirk at her hip, staring at the leader, knowing that she’d die to protect her sister.

Eeep! First chapter! 

How did it go? Did you like it? Want more?

I wuff you guys. <3 OOOO If you guys are curious about the next chapter, you should comment "Dirk!" then VOTE. Then leave any other comments you have o.o like how much you wouldn't pee on it if it were on fire. o.o *hides* *passes out* *story is set on fire* *no one is there to pee on it* *wakes up* *...cries like a bish*

I've never written a historical so I'm really freaking nervous. You guys don't even know. I'm shaking so much that my hand is asleep and idk how that's possible but it happened o.o

Votes and comments would encourage me to continue making a mockery out of historical fiction though xD

 *whispers* It took me a half hour to gain the courage to post this ._.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7M 255K 52
Lila had a family. And for a while they were happy. Then on her eighteenth birthday, her Parents, brother, and his mate died in a tragic car accident...
464K 23.1K 65
"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look awa...
1.8K 147 51
"I used to think I knew what being hurt felt like, but then I met him. How I miss the days when he was a stranger to me" *** When Margo is dragged in...
14.2K 1.5K 48
A journey of self-discovery... An orphaned boy lives in misery, he tries to deal with his pain andī¸ discovers an enchanting world that embroils him i...