That One Time I Went on a Que...

By jialunqi

Kastor lands a job he isn't qualified for. His employer is Kathanhiel; she is the greatest dragon slayer in t... More

Kathanhiel
Rutherford
Set
Kaishen, Bane of Dragons
Arkai (1/2)
Arkai (2/2)
The Little Giants
The Prismatic Cuirass
Cowards
Dragon Fire (1/2)
Dragon Fire (2/2)
Shadow of the Apex
Naked
The Thralls
Four Days (1/2)
Four Days (2/2)
Kaishen's Chosen
Imposter (1/2)
Imposter (2/2)
Iborus (1/2)
Iborus (2/2)
We All Have Lost (1/2)
We All Have Lost (2/2)
Arkai Returns (1/2)
Arkai Returns (2/2)
The Last Day
Talukiel the Blade (1/2)
Talukiel the Blade (2/2)
Ironclad (1/2)
Ironclad (2/2)
Catacomb of Giants (1/4)
Catacomb of Giants (2/4)
Catacomb of Giants (3/4)
Catacomb of Giants (4/4)
The Stone Graves
Kaishen
Gate of Kalarinth
Heralds of Fire
Rutherford's Wish (1)
Rutherford's Wish (2)
Rutherford's Wish (3)
Rutherford's Wish (4)
Rutherford's Wish (5)
Princess Adelaia

(deep breath)

26 3 0
By jialunqi

Tomorrow. We're leaving tomorrow. Bobby and Killisan have had new horseshoes made, new bits, new saddles, everything. Our much lighter inventory had been squeezed inside three saddlebags, all of which I'll be carrying.

The blacksmith had given me a pair of soles made out of a black rock that consists of thousands of hardened chips stuck together. Supposedly they'll prevent my feet from sinking into the ground when using Kaishen's power; they're no prismatic cuirass, but better than burning up my leather boots on the first day and running barefoot to Rutherford's lair.

The night has grown cold. Sleet has been falling for hours now, yet no one, not Kathanhiel, not the twenty thousand men and women gathered in the outer courtyard to listen to her speech, pays it any mind.

'...and let it be known from the Precipice to the Sunset Isles that each and every one of you have chosen, of your own will, to carry this sacred burden, to stand against that which cannot fall, to fight against the imperishable, so that your children's children can look up to the sky and admire the blue heavens with eyes unafraid and filled with pride...'

Such a nice speech. Rousing. Standing by Kathanhiel's side I see the rapture on their faces. Her words have captivated their hearts, put light to the shadows in their minds and chased them away. Just as Arkai had said, she's very good at giving hope.

Talukiel is down there. Him and his mad flock.

Twenty-seven cultists had been rooted out and secretly executed, each and every one of them long-serving members of Iborus. An untold number is still out there however, and if they're all like Palasine, the threat of death would only galvanise them.

He's coming tonight. It has to be tonight.

Kathanhiel's speech ends, and the crowd breaks into rapturous cheer. Waving, she gives me a sideways glance. Her eyes are that of a grinning lioness.

This is the last day, isn't it; from now on there'll be no rest, no rest until we're dead.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

585 18 21
Ryan is only a teenager when he finds out that he has a major role to play in the world of magic... true magic. Over time he becomes a powerful magic...
37.1K 1.5K 106
The first time she saw him, he was surrounded by flames. She couldn't clearly see his eyes, but his gaze burned every part of her skin it lingered on...
7.4K 146 25
( I made this when I was 11, it's horrible pls don't hate) A new girl joins our favourite guild FairyTail, and is found out to be a Universal Dragon...
84 41 39
With the death of Demon King Metatron, the world is once again safe, with the promise of starting over, Seth now embarks on his personal journey to f...