Gorgoroth (Haladras #2)

By michaelkarr

The thrilling sequel to HALADRAS. With peace restored to the empire, Skylar sets out to fulfill his promise t... More

ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX

THIRTY-FOUR

597 83 8
By michaelkarr

"You want to trust this fellow? Who's to say he won't rat us out to the authorities?"

Skylar sighed and rubbed his temples. They had already belabored this point to death. Grüny, however, still refused to admit Skylar's plan was anything but pure insanity.

"He won't," insisted Skylar. "Because if he turns us in, he won't get paid. And I can assure you, he wants to get paid. You should have seen his eyes when he saw the bracelet. We're lucky he didn't try to steal it from us then and there."

Grüny folded his arms over his chest.

"I still don't like it. And what about you two skin-and-bones? How are we ever gonna convince anyone that you're meant to be eaten?"

"I have some meat on me?" protested Skylar.

Grüny snorted.

They were back in Wenna's humble dwelling, gathered around the fireplace. They had just finished a meal of roasted mutton and butter dumplings. The fire blazed warmer than it probably ever had before. Were it not for their dire situation, Skylar might have felt content to sit there and repose for ages.

"Grüny does have a point," said Kendyl, who'd finally broken her silence the day before. "Endrick and Grüny look fit to eat, but I think we'll have a tough time convincing anyone that you and I are."

"And especially you, miss," added Icca. "The empress would never eat a female. She rarely eats human fresh and when she does, it's a male enemy."

"You're right," said Skylar, tightening his jaw muscles, "but how are Kendyl and I going to get through?"

"That's easy," replied Kendyl, "we'll be the driver's niece and nephew. We'll be along for the ride."

"A cheery ride," muttered Endrick.

Skylar cast her a skeptical look.

"What?" she replied, defensively. "We look like we could be brother and sister."

"Maybe," said Skylar, "but you haven't seen this fellow. We're definitely not related."

"We don't have to look like him. Maybe his sister married a defect Ahlderion."

"Or maybe we're adopted," said Skylar.

Kendyl looked at him, the touch of a smile forming on this lips. Then the painr broke into laughter. The others joined in too. It felt good to laugh. Like a sudden warm breeze had swept through the room and carried away all their troubles with it. How had that happened? It felt good to see Kendyl happy. She looked so beautiful. The drab clothes she wore could not blight that flaming hair and radiant smile. His heart stuttered in his chest.

"Assuming we can convince them you two are related to this Obern fellow," said Grüny, interrupting their fleeting moment of happiness. "What's he going to tell the guards when he comes back through the gates and you're missing?"

"He won't have to tell them anything," said Skylar, "because they'll be different guards. Endrick and I know precisely what times the guards change. We're supposed to arrive just before the change of guard. When Obern leaves, there will be a new set of guards at the gates. Guards who don't know a thing about what was in Obern's cart when he entered."

Grüny crossed his arms in front of his chest again. "I don't like it. I don't like it one bit."

* * *

The companions had almost as hard a time convincing Obern of this change in plans as they did Grüny. He didn't like the idea of calling Skylar and Kendyl his relations. Much less, returning through the gates without them. Skylar suggested he and Kendyl could be assistants or apprentices—Obern could make up whatever he wanted. Another view of the bracelet, however, proved the best method of persuasion for him. One look at the precious piece of metal and his mouth began to salivate.

Obern convinced, they set to work with the necessary preparations to put their plan into action. Up to that point, Skylar had believed the most challenging part of their task lay in getting past the guards at the landing field and high jacking one of the ships. That was, until he tried to prepare Grüny and Endrick to be eaten.

The process was simple. Strip off the clothes, wrap them in a special white fabric, then sedate them. Grüny wanted nothing to do with it, however.

"I can be just as convincing a body with my clothes on as I can naked as a baby, and wrapped in rags," griped Grüny. "And there's not a chance in the universe you're giving me that sedative. I already had it once. That's plenty for me. I'll just hold my breath."

"Not in my cart you won't," said Obern. "You'll get us all caught. You can't fake the effects of the sedative. Most can't tell the difference between a dead body and a sedated one. Scarcely a tremor of a heartbeat. Even less detectable breathing. Them guards can poke and prod all they want, you ain't going to stir."

"That's a pleasant thought," said Endrick. "This whole plan is sounding more appealing all the time. Keeping going, Obern. Grüny's bound to see the beauty of the thing any moment now."

"Enough of your quips, Endrick," retorted Skylar, slamming his hand down on one of the tables on which they planned to prepare Endrick and Grüny. They were in a cramped, windowless room at the back of factory. The walls and floor were a cold, gray metal. Skylar's voice flooded the space, ricochetted off the walls and floor with a force he hadn't intended. The three men stared at him in surprise.

"Look," he said, trying to smooth out his tone, even as frustration grew inside him. "I don't want to do this to either of you."

He tightened his lips into a thin line.

"But there isn't another option. I wish there were. What Obern's telling us is the best way to ensure we don't fail. We can't fail. We must get back!"

"And if something happens while we're sedated?" replied Grüny, quietly. "Who's going to defend you?" Skylar shook his head, as much from regret as anything.

"That's a risk we must take. The sedative won't last forever, though."

"You're the queerest lot, I ever met," said Obern, shaking his head. "I'll never understand why you're crazy enough to want to do this. None of my business or concern. He's right, though. I'll give you a weaker dose. Should only last little more than an hour."

"Please, Grüny," implored Skylar. "We haven't much time. I'm not asking you to do this for me."

Skylar looked at the ship captain, bald head exposed, the creases in his face deep. The leather cap he always wore was gone; likely taken from him before they even arrived on Gorgoroth. Skylar hadn't realized it was missing until that moment. Grüny's eyes looked bloodshot, underlined by dark bags.

How much had this man given for Skylar's sake? Endrick, too? What might they still give—all on account of Skylar's ridiculous quest? He gritted his teeth. How could he have been such a fool to leave Ahlderon and come here? These two loyal friends might very well lose their lives because of him. Kendyl, too.

He couldn't let it happen. Maybe he should give up. Let them all go into hiding in Gorgoroth. In a few weeks, maybe the port would re-open. Surely, he had no right to demand anything more of his companions...of his friends. Of course, Ahlderion would not be warned if they waited so long. Even now, their efforts might prove futile. They might all die, or simply arrive too late.

Skylar shook his head bitterly.

"You know as well as I do what's at stake. Still, I won't demand this of you...of either of you. Make the decision that you must. I can no longer see the right path to follow."

"Curse the whole thing!" cried Grüny, throwing his hands into the air. "I'll do it."

Skylar turned to Endrick, who shrugged his shoulders.

"All I want to know is if there's any food on this ship we're stealing," he said.

Two hours later, Obern's cart rumbled up to the gates to the landing field. Skylar and Kendyl road alongside Obern on the driver's bench. In the back of the cart, like a pair of corpses wrapped in burial shrouds, lay Endrick and Grüny. Skylar knew they were not dead. Yet there bodies were so lifeless and cold that a knot wrenched his stomach every time he looked at them. No one spoke as they road along, as if in reverence for the dead—a solemn procession.

A guard halted the cart just outside the gate.

"What's your business?" he demanded, though Skylar knew the guard had seen Obern and his delivery cart more than once.

"Special delivery for shuttle," replied Obern irritably, as if it were an inconvenience for him to make the delivery.

"Papers?"

Obern reached into his lapel and drew out a slip of parchment and handed it to the guard.

"My royal warrant as a food supplier for Her Majesty's army," said Obern flatly.

The guard examined the document for a mere second, before handing it back to Obern with a stiff arm.

"Let's see your load."

The guard walked around to the side of the open cart bed. One look at the bodies and the guard growled, "What's this!"

"Just what it looks like—bodies. They're for the empress. Do you want any more details?"

The guard prodded Grüny's shoulder with the muzzle of his blaster, before turning away in disgust. "No."

"And what about these two urchins?" he said, coming back to the front of the cart, and pointing his weapon at Skylar and Kendyl.

"All my other workers are out sick or busy with other routes. These are the only two I could spare. They're gonna help me move the bodies."

At this, the guard burst into laughter.

"The weaklings! They're barely fit to carry their own heads."

"Are you offering to help?" replied Obern, testily.

"That's what you're paid for, not me. But what a rich sight it would be. You two try not to get yourselves squashed," he added, pointing to Kendyl and Skylar. Still chuckling, the guard in their clearance, then waved them on.

Obern navigated the landing field like one who had visited it hundreds of times. Without hesitation, he drove straight for the empress' shuttle. Skylar felt grateful they had found Obern. The greedy food supplier had managed the guard without a hint of anxiety in his tone or manner. On the contrary, he acted impatient with the guard, which may well have worked in their favor. The falsified story about Skylar and Kendyl being spare workers was Obern's own idea. Skylar now clearly saw that it was a superior ruse.

The empress' shuttle did not stand out from the many others scattered across the landing field on launch pads. It was the size of a cruiser, not a ship for carrying an entire legion of soldiers. It rose above the ground with its rounded nose to the red sky. From its sleek black body, four wings extended, running from its cockpit windows to its tail. An equal number of thrusters encircled the vessel.

Obern pulled the cart up next to the shuttle and climbed down from the driver's bench.

"Let's get this over with," he said. "The sooner I get my payment and get away from you lot, the better."

Thankfully, Obern had brought a folding stretcher with wheels. Without it, they would have had to drag Endrick and Grüny up the steep gangplank and into the shuttle. Even with Obern's mass, Skylar didn't know if they could have managed it. As it was, just pushing the stretcher loaded with Grüny, left the trio breathless and sweaty. For show, in case an officer came by to investigate, they deposited Endrick and Grüny in the refrigerated compartment meant for food storage.

"Keep a blanket on them and they'll be fine," said Obern. "Now, my payment."

Obern held out his pudgy hand expectantly. Skylar pulled out the bracelet from his pocket and handed it to the man. The only remorse he felt in giving it up was that it meant he no longer wielded any control over Obern. They would be left on their own. Indeed, no sooner did Obern snatch up the bracelet, than he stuffed it in his money pouch and lumbered off, with "good riddance" on his tongue.

"I hope he has enough sense to make sure the guards have changed before attempting to leave the gates," muttered Skylar.

Obern gone, Endrick and Grüny in a comatose state, Skylar and Kendyl needed to hide away for few hours until the effects of the sedative wore off. They found a crevice between the bulwark and a utility table near the refrigerated compartment. Sitting down on the cold metal floor, they waited. Skylar found the silence uncomfortable. He wished to say something. But what could he say? He was supposed to be pushing her away.

"Well, looks like you're still stuck with me" Kendyl said, finally ending the silence.

This again? Skylar sighed within. Did she have to make this more difficult than it already was for him? Maybe this was good, though. A chance to really put a nail in the coffin.

I guess so, he imagined himself saying. That would certainly have the affect he wanted. In his mind, he pictured the pained look she would give him. Or maybe she would just shoot back her own icy retort? Which response would pain him more?

He glanced firtively at her, caught the glimmer of her blue eyes. She's so beautiful. How could he live without her? Be happy without her? Did he not deserve to try for a life of happiness?

Finally, he spoke. His voice, little more than a whisper. "There's no one one I'd rather be stuck with."

I'm still terrible a this. Why can't I say something smooth?

Kendyl snorted. "Right."

"I'm sorry," he went on, before she could say anything more. "I'm sorry I've been pushing you away. That I ignored you for so long. I think...I was wrong."

"You think?"

Skylar sighed. "I've just wanted so badly to keep everyone I care about safe. Especially you. I thought if I could make you not want to be with me, you'd be safe."

"It's not your job to protect me. Besides, that's a really terrible way to live your life. You can't just stop loving someone because you're afraid something might happen to them."

Skylar let out a bitter laugh. "That's easy enough to say, when everyone you love isn't getting killed by madmen." He shook his head. "But I know you're right."

Then he looked at her. "Can you forgive me?"

Kendyl cocked her head. "I'll consider it...someday."

"Someday?"

"If you earn it."

She smile micheviously, and Skylar felt his face flush as a goofy grin forced itsway onto his mouth.

Whatever it takes, he thought, but couldn't bring himself to say.

They were sitting close to each other. Skylar's entire body was suddenly entirely alert to that proximity. Their arms were touching. He tentatively extended fingers, gently touching the top of her hand. And electric shot ran through his skin as he did. She didn't pull away. If he leaned in a little closer...

For a moment, she looked as though she might welcome lips on her. But then she turned her head. Skylar sat back, deflated and feeling akward.

Too soon, he chided himself.

Had he angered her again? Then, without a word, she leaned over, resting her head on his shoulder. For several seconds Skylar just sat there, frozen, afraid to breathe lest he scare her away. He could feel his heart pounding against his chest, and felt sure that she could feel it vibrating through his bones. Still, she remained cuddled next to him. When he finally felt convinced that she intended to stay, he hesitantly reached out his arm and wrapped it around her. He after expected her to pull away or to vanish at his touch, like a dream. She did neither, but nestled her head deeper into his chest.

For a long time they sat their, neither talking. Kendyl's body felt warm against his own. Despite the turmoil of everything, he felt comfortable, at peace—if only for a brief time.

Skylar was lost in thought, when he heard a loud groan, followed by, "Great Yurik, it's cold!"

Kendly sat up and looked at Skylar.

"That's Endrick," he said. "I don't want to be around when Grüny wakes up."

"You could pretend you didn't hear anything," she suggested with a sly smile.

A short while later, Grüny did come out of sedation. Once the fog of drowsiness cleared away, he was grumpy. Very grumpy. "Why the devil did you leave us in a confounded meat locker!"

"In case the guards came to check on you," said Skylar.

"So, you thought it would look more convincing if we were actually frozen to death?"

"I thought it was just a tad better than all of us getting caught and executed, yes."

"Next time, warn us before you toss us into a blasted refrigeration compartment."

"Believe me," said Kendyl, "there was no tossing involved."

A part of the plan which Skylar had not thought about was that Endrick and Grüny would have no clothes to wear once they awoke. All that covered their bodies were the white wrappings. But these would begin to unravel as soon as Endrick and Grüny started moving. Though Skylar had no desire to see either companion walking about in the buff, he sickened at the thought of Kendyl being exposed to it. Consequently, after Endrick woke up, Skylar had went in search of something on the ship. In a supply closet, he'd found several sets of military suits. Of the two largest he found, Endrick managed to coax his bulk into one of them.

"A perfect fit," Endrick had said, "so long as I don't bend over, or move, or breathe. Now I know what it feels like to be a sausage. Speaking of which, where's the food on this vessel?"

Now that Grüny was awake, Skylar offered the other suit to him. Grüny scowled at it.

"What, you think that'll fit me? You have gone mad. I don't need clothes to fly this bucket anyhow."

"If Grüny doesn't wear any clothes, I'm getting off," said Kendyl.

"Me too," added Endrick.

In the end, Grüny compromised by wrapping the blanket about his middle. It was not suitable attire for action, but then all Grüny wanted to do was sit. Sit and eat. Endrick had already found and helped himself to some of the stores on the ship. He grudgingly shared it with Grüny, who ate, but wouldn't touch anything which resembled meat.

"What these people call meat and what I call meat, are not the same thing," he said with revulsion.

Their original plan was to hijack the ship after dark. The hope being that fewer soldiers would be walking about the landing fields during night hours. Several hours remained until sunset.

Skylar decided to see if he could find a military suit that fit him. It might come in handy. He found one which fit reasonably well in the same supply closet where he'd found Endrick's suit. The suit was warmer than he expected, made of a thermally insolated material. He grabbed one of the accompanying helmets and fitted it on his head.

"That's cute that you want to match Endrick."

Skylar spun around to find Kendyl standing in the portal, grinning at him. He pulled off the helmet.

"There're more suits here," he said. "You could match us, too."

"I prefer what I'm wearing. That doesn't look very comfortable."

"It's not. Too, hot. But it might prove useful."

He looked down at the helmet, suddenly feeling awkward at what he wanted to say next. "I was going to go over by the hatch and watch for approaching soldiers from the windows.".

"Good," she said, drawing out the word, as if she wasn't sure why he was telling her.

"I thought...I mean...if you wanted watch, too...with me..."

Skylar cringed inside at how pathetic he sounded. After all they had been through together, why was this so difficult for him?

She shrugged nonchalantly. "Maybe." Then she turned and strode away.

"So...what does that mean?" he muttered to himself.

For the next two hours, Kendyl and Skylar sat together, keeping watch for any trouble outside. But none of the passing guards ever gave it more than a casual glance. The pair talked for most of those hours. Of all which had transpired since the Trackers found him on Haladras, Skylar recounted, sparing no detail. Of Grim's death, he even spoke, though it still pained him to speak of. From Kendyl, he learned more about the death of her father, of the terrible woman who had taken Kendyl in.

"She forced me to quit the Academy and my apprenticeship so that I could do work for her," she said, her voice shaky with emotion. "She claims she doesn't have the money for my tuition, and instead needs me to work so that she can support both of us. I know it's all a lie. She just wants to make money from me. Every day it's the same. She forces me to forage in the desert for food. Mostly for locusts. She sells them in the poorer districts of Kaladra. I spend so many hours in the desert, Skylar. I come home each day without an ounce of strength. And then she demands that I clean."

"I hate her!" she added with considerable force.

"I'm sorry," Skylar went on. "For everything that's happened to you. I was so blinded by my own troubles...I promise I'll fix everything, if we ever get back. You won't have to live with that woman anymore. You can even work in the mines, if that's what you want."

"Sorry to intrude," came Grüny's voice from behind, "but I think it's time we got this bird off the ground."

Skylar glanced up. Outside the window, darkness blanketed the landing field. Night had crept up on them unawares. A guard might have easily done the same. Skylar scolded himself.

Some watchman I proved to be.

Scrambling up from his cozy spot next to Kendyl, Skylar met Grüny.

"Are you ready, then?" he asked.

"More than ready."

Skylar felt a rush of excitement. Were they actually going to get off of this planet? Until that moment, it had not felt like reality.

"Take us home, Grüny Sykes."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

647 34 15
IN A WORLD WHERE TWO GIRLS HAVE NO PARENTAL SUPERVISION, GO ON ADVENTURES IN SPACE. WHERE THEY MEET THEIR NEW FUTURISTIC SPACE ALIEN HUMAN BOYFRIENDS...
169 20 14
Sequel to The Azwan Chronicles. Gothag proposes a program to Belgar to bring groups of children to Azwan for education skills training so their home...
2.9K 132 21
A trouble maker is caught doing her schemes and gets sent to jail with a 20 year sentence. One day, a man offered her a way out only if she does some...
190 7 10
When humans discover a new planet, the lives of seven teenage military trained orphans are turned upside down. Everything they were told as scary bed...