The Angel's Tear (Complete)

By KEHolts

Kaylyn lived a normal teenage life, just like her parents had hoped. That is till she met Emett, that's when... More

The Angel's Tear
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
CHAPTER 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33

Chapter 21

832 23 1
By KEHolts

CHAPTER 21

My eyes where closed tight and I could here the faint yelling of Barbus from the other side of the lake. Everything seemed so loud in that moment, my breathing was shallow as I waited for the blow.  It felt like a lifetime had passed as I waited for impact but instead I just heard the angry hissing of a very mad two headed snake. Why wasn’t he making his move?

I opened my eyes and my jaw dropped. The willow tree had come to life! A root had sprouted from the ground and wrapped itself around the snake acting as a constrictor. The snake was hissing in panic repeatedly biting the root over and over. The root had grown so tight around the snake, parts of it’s body started bulging from the pressure. When I realized it was safe to look around I followed the root to the willow tree and where the tree once was now stood a humanoid creature. Its lower body still a tree planted in the ground yet it started to form the waist of a female figure. Its upper body was human, but the bark was its skin. So strange and beautiful, it’s face still had the look of bark and its eyes a bright green. Thin facial features almost making it elfish in looks, the willow branches had now formed its hair and flowed down its back. It looked so strong and powerful for something so feminine. She was the picture perfect image of what i thought mother earth would look like.

I snapped out of my daze when the wind blew at my face and noticed the snake wasn’t moving anymore but was laying on the ground lifeless with blood pouring from its mouth. This tree creature had killed it. Was it a threat to me? Should  fight it? Something in my body relaxed and I felt no warning of danger from my crystal.

“Go” my crystal softly spoke in my mind.

“Speak to her” It was so quiet and relaxed it almost seemed as if the wind itself was speaking to me. I grabbed my crystal and gently squeezed it in my hand as its protective armor melted of my body and receded to the crystal between my fingers.

I slowly made my way over to the tree , completely forgetting about Barbus’s presence. The wind was rustling through the leaves and branches of this tree. And I noticed the blue bird who was perched on the tree’s shoulder. She just looked at me patiently watching as I slowly made my way to her.

“Thank you” I thought it would be an appropriate opening since she saved me.

She nodded her head and a small smile appeared on the trees lips.

“Kaylyn, I’ve waited a long time for you. I must thank you as well for coming to the rescue my dear friend, it was very brave.” She lovingly stroked the head of the blue bird who, with a blink of an eye was the size of a small child sitting on her shoulder. Its features looked very innocent and sweet short choppy black hair framed her face and bright blue piercing eyes smiled back at me. I noticed that not only was it the size of a child, but it was a child.

“Thank you” The little girl replied with a voice gentle and calm like the lake itself.

I returned the smile and nodded before turning my attention back to the tree.

“How do you know my name?” curiosity filled my veins.

“I was very close with your parents, but more so with your mother. She used to come and sit in my shade as a child, telling me of her adventures, crying of her sorrows and worries, sharing her dreams and happiness. I was the tree nymph who gave your mother that vest and even that bow from one of my very own limbs.” The tree nymphs voice was tranquil and soft like the wind that was flowing around us.

My heart began to ache thinking of my parents and the longing I had to know them more. I felt the sad smile creep onto my face and the tears threatening to pour from my eyes. “It seems that everyone knew my parents.”

The tree nymph laughed sweetly as if thinking of fond memories. “Your parents where well loved by the people of Alderyn. You should feel nothing but pride for being one of their children.”

My eyes quickly met the piercing green of the wood nyph’s “Children? Do I have siblings?” my heart was beating so fast I laid my hand on it fearful it might burst through my chest.

The tree nymph smiled, I could see the secret in her eyes. “ I am Apios, and your parents in trusted me with a secret that may bring joy to your sad heart. Come sit in my shade as your mother once did so I may share it with you.”

I basically ran to Apios and sat in her shade excitement and wonder filling my body. Apios and the little water fairy laughed at my excitement and the child came and joined me, sitting at my side in the shade of the magical willow tree.

“Your mother and father were so excited and full of happiness when they found out they where going to be parents. I remember the day they came and told me, I had never seen your mothers smile so large. Their joy was infectious, and by the third month of her pregnancy your parents were already gifted with everything they would need for a child. I remember the loving way your mother rubbed her growing belly singing you lullaby’s as she laid in your fathers lap. The singing birds would even hush and come listen to your mother sing. The months flew by and everything was peaceful. Your mother loved being pregnant, and one day in the early morning you where introduced into the world, but something was wrong. Your mother was still in a great deal of pain.”  Apios laughed as she looked off in the distance remembering.

“I can only imagine the panicked look that your father must have had on his face. Your mother was his world , he wanted nothing more than to make her happy. I am sure he must have felt very helpless , but after another few minutes the reason for her pain was clear. The following day after a little rest I went to see your parents and their new baby.”

My mind was swimming and my heart was in my throat that I barely had time to wonder how Apios was able to go see them. She was a tree how could she move? The question was quickly ignored in my mind as I continued to listen.

“ Imagine my confusion when I heard not one but two cries coming from your parents home. I almost ran right through the door hurrying to see them. Ill never forget the huge tired smiles your parents had on their face, as your mother held you in her arms and your father held your twin sister in his.”

My body stiffened and the words left my mouth in a gasp “Twin sister…” I couldn’t believe it, my mind refused to process the information.

“I had never seen two people more excited! I had the privilege to hear your names first.  Since you where the first born you where given the name Kaylyn Dawn, for the morning.” Apios smiled and winked at me pausing a moment before releasing the name of my sister to me. “And your little sister was given the name Krislyn Eve for being the second born. Their morning and evening their new worlds. The first couple months of your lives were bliss, your parents would bring you to sit and play in my shade several times a week. Always happy always smiling, then one day their faces where tired and your mother was lost in thought and your father seemed distant. They insisted they where just tired, but I didn’t believe them something had happened. What I don’t know, but later that week your parents came to me, your mother had been crying I could see the tear stains on her face and they held on to you and your sister as if you would float away. Your mothers heart was breaking as they told me of their plan to give you to Mary and Jason the couple who raised you, and to give Krislyn to your fathers close friend and a guardian Emery. They refused to tell me the reason for the sudden panic and their reason to separate you and your sister. One going to the world you know and one to be raised here in Alderyn. I was in trusted with the job of telling you of your sister, Fate the wolf you have come to know as your friend was in trusted with training you and keeping you safe. Seems like he at least succeeded with one if not the other… anyway Barbus and his father where in trusted to  keep your armor safe and continue your training. You will meet many more people on your journey I am sure, one who I hope knows what happened to your parents. Dear Kaylyn... when you find out what had happened to put such fear in them and cause there death please come back and let me know. I weep for them still. Ironic that a weeping willow weeps…” She laughed more to herself then to me, and at being reminded that my parents where gone I felt the tears flow. Nothing I could do to bring them back, but I had to find my sister.

“Do you know where Krislyn is now?” Apios nodded and looked off in the distance in the direction of very distant red mountains.

“Emery her guardian occasionally comes and gives me updates on her, I haven't heard from him in a few years though. I wonder how she is…but last I heard she was in a city passed the crimson mountain range. There should be a travelers post near the mountains, Emery has a younger brother named… Ryli I believe that works there he would know where Emery is. And wherever Emery is I am sure Krislyn is near by he cared for her very much, rarely leaving her only when he had a job to do.”

I nodded as I took in the information looking at the mountains in the distance, if I could I would run there right now, and not stop till I reached them.

“How far are those mountains?”I was eager to go find her.

I looked at the little water fairy as she spoke. “They are very far!” She squealed and I smiled at her and looked back at Apios for the real answer.

“Yes Yura they are very far indeed.” Apios looked at me and I smiled at the cute name for the little water fairy. “Kaylyn it will be a very long and very dangerous trip, Fate would know the way but it will be at least a months journey if not more.”

It was hard to hide the disappointment on my face, I knew this world wasn’t like mine it didn’t have planes or trains to travel by, that much I knew. But there had to be something that could get us there faster.

“Thank you Apios, I didn’t think that coming out today I would discover I had a sister…a twin none the less.” Apios smiled at me and nodded.

“You were both such beautiful babies, you may have been twins but you where so different from each other. When you where born both of you where blond slowly yours turned into a reddish brown and your sisters was a very curly dark brown. Emery showed me a picture of her once, her hair is still very dark and very long , but she has beautiful hazel green eyes like your mother. Not only in looks but personality you two differed even so young I could tell. You young lady where very loud always happy but very awnery. Your sister always had a smile on her face but she was very mellow and very quiet shy as well. She would always hide her face in your fathers chest every time someone came to say hello. I wonder if she is still like that…” Apios was lost in thought I could tell she cared for my family very much, and promised myself that I would bring my sister back to meet her.

“Oh one more thing before I forget Kaylyn.” I looked at Apios as she brought one of her fingers to her mouth and made a small bite in her finger tip. She brought her hand to my chest where my pendant lay and on the tip of her finger was a droplet of golden sap, her blood. When the blood made contact with the pendant a burst of light escape and the pendant turned into a golden green, letting me know it accepted the blood. I looked up in awe at Apios and I realized what she had just done.

She brought her hand to my face and cupped my cheek. “A gift for you, Tree nymphs may sound like weak creatures but in reality we are very strong. Train well and become strong but do not loose your loving, caring nature. Fight for others and their safety use the power I have given you wisely.”

I nodded and promised Apios. We sat for many more hours talking, and playing with Yura. When we had to part it was tearful like leaving a life long friend or family member. I didn’t want to go  I felt safe here with Apios and it was comforting. But I knew it was time to go back to reality and the hardships, the sun was setting and the air was chilled. Before leaving I promised Yura and Apios that I would come back to see them again. With tears in my eyes I walked back over to Barbus who had fallen asleep under a tree by the lake. I gently kicked him in the side my hands shoved in my pockets. He yawned and stretched and smiled up at me.

I knew now why he couldn’t come help me, and that the cruelness he had acted with early was nothing but a test. Apios was the one holding him in place when he tried to come help me, she was keeping watch.

“You ready?” his voice was thick with sleep as he got to his feet, I wonder if he knew I had a sister?

“Yeah I am ready I guess.” I looked at the ground thinking about all the stories I had just been told.

“Apios is a sweet isn't she?” Barbus smiled and I thought I saw a bit of a blush.

“Yes she is “ I agreed, apparently Barbus came to visit her often from what Apios had told me and I couldn’t help but wonder if he cared for her more then just a friend.

On the way back home I decided that I wouldn’t let anyone else know about my twin sister. I figured Fate would know but I would wait for him to bring it up, Titus and Emett didn’t have to know, and I didn’t think Renee could handle it. I didn’t want her to think she was being replaced I would wait till I got her back home to look for Krislyn.

“You did well” I was so lost in thought I looked around for a moment before I realized it was my Angel’s Tear.

“Thank you” I spoke into my mind and held in tight int my hand as Barbus and I finally made it back into the city. It was dark now and the streets where illuminated with lights. The sounds of people laughing and carrying on filled the air as they enjoyed the company of friends and family in the restaurants and bars. For a moment as I looked into the window of a small restaurant I noticed a small family of four in the corner. A father a mother and two girls, this is how my life could have been. It could have been my family sitting there laughing and having a good time. I felt a knot of emotions form in my throat, I was feeling robbed of a family I never had the chance to meet. I was also feeling guilty and selfish, I was very blessed with a wonderful family a sister and two brothers. I did have a family and it was an amazing one, I wish I didn’t feel like this.

“Barbus.” From the corner of my eyes I could see him stop in the street as I continued to look through the window.

“Yeah?” His voice was low and I almost didn’t hear him over the talk and laughter of the restaurant.

“Can you take me to my parents home tomorrow? Apios told me they lived here near the city and that you would know where it was.” I forced myself away from the window and walked back towards Barbus.

“Alright I will take you.” He smiled and wrapped his arm around my waist in a comforting gesture. We walked through the door and there I was greeted by the stares of everyone left behind.

“Bout time you got back.” My eyes drifted to Emett’s brooding figure in the corner fiddling with a wood carving.

“It was a long day sorry. Anything interesting happen while we were gone?” I tried to make light of his bad mood, I sighed hoping we hadn't back tracked from our progress.

“Nope, did you find Apios?” Fate smiled at me that’s when it clicked that he knew everything that was going on.

“Yes she is very nice, I am glad I met her. We talked a lot about mom and dad.” Fate smiled and I could see in his eyes he knew my secret.

“Well as I said it was a very long day I think I am going to go to bed.” I started to make my way down the hall.

“Don’t you want something to eat?”  Barbus yelled from the kitchen.

“No thank you I just want to sleep.” With that I closed the door and flopped on the bed and as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out. Dreaming of everything I was told playing it in my head as if it where a movie.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

544K 28.9K 50
There is a darkness that lurks inside of me. The evil that runs through my veins is a constant reminder of the ruthless killer I once was. But someh...
610 37 28
Dovelyn isn't your average teenage girl. Secrets were kept and lies were told. Will Dovelyn be able to defeat the darkness? Who will she loose in the...
218K 9.6K 27
Annabel had the perfect family. That is until a tragic accident takes her mother's life. Now, 10 years later, Annabel is 18 years old and her father...