TRUST, the vampire diaries

Por Izziaa

❝blood only runs so deep when you're related to vampires❞ *** "What is he doing here? What does he want?" Ave... Más

z e r o
o n e
t w o
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e

t h r e e

1.3K 38 12
Por Izziaa

Once again, Avery was in history class. She felt as if all she did was spend her time in history class, but in reality she knew the reason she was hyperaware of her surroundings was because of her unstable vampire relative that was sat across the room.

"Originally discovered nearly five centuries ago, it hasn't been over Mystic Falls in over 145 years," Mr. Tanner told the class. "Now, the comet will be its brightest right after dusk during tomorrow's celebration." He paused, turning his attention to two teenagers, "Are we bothering you? Mr. Salvatore? Ms. Gilbert?"

Avery glanced over at the aforementioned couple and a feeling of dread came over her. She attempted to shake the overwhelming feeling of worry and realised that this was only the beginning. Her negative thoughts were interrupted by the bell ringing, signalling the end of class. When she looked up, Stefan was standing over her desk with a small smile on his face.

"Hey, uh, I found this book in the library," he held up a worn copy of Wuthering Heights. "You don't mind if I give it to Elena, do you?"

Avery blinked in surprise, "I, uh, I'm surprised you even asked. I guess you can, I know she really loves the book."

"Thank you, Avery." Stefan smiled sincerely. "Can I walk you to your next class?"

Avery really didn't want him to. In fact, the more she stayed away from him, the better she felt. Stefan continued to tower over her as she sat at her desk, waiting for a response. Taking a sharp breath to calm her nerves, she mumbled a quiet 'yes', standing from her desk and following him out the door.

***

"I told you Avery would have it." Stefan smiled as both Salvatores approached the Gilbert girl.

"Wuthering Heights by Ellis Bell. You know, I can't believe she didn't use her real name."

"All the Bronte sisters used pseudonyms-" Stefan began but was interrupted by Avery. She wasn't usually the rude type who interrupts people, but she was a booknerd at heart and loved the opportunity to share some facts.

"It was the time. Female writers weren't very accepted then." She explained.

"Where did you get it?" Elena asked, finally noticing Avery's presence.

Avery looked at Stefan, who replied, "Uh, it was passed down. Through the family."

"I found it in our library a few years back." Avery smiled, continuing Stefan's white lie. Though her part was true, she did find in in their library.

"Ah." Elena said, observing the cover of the book.

"I have lots of books. Go ahead. Keep it." Stefan offered.

Avery gave him a look. He may have a lot of books in the Salvatore library, but she didn't have many. She felt a bit upset that she would lose one of the books she actually liked. Looking back, she supposed her reaction was in retaliation to the whole thing. The book was a metaphor for Avery's life, he had come in, messed up the order and taken things away.

As if noticing Avery's reaction, Elena was quick to decline, "Oh, no. I... But I would like to read it again. I promise I'll give it back, Avery."

"Okay." The youngest Salvatore smiled.

***

After school, Avery was sat in the kitchen. She was attempting to finish her English essay but was struggling to write anything on the paper due to a building headache. As she stared at the highlighters scattered across the kitchen table, all she could heard was the thrumming noise of her blood in her ears. She was interrupted by the sound of someone knocking on the front door.

Avery slid off of the kitchen chair as quickly as she could, pushing down the feeling of nausea created by her throbbing head and the sudden movement.

"Stefan? Stefan?" A voice called as Avery stepped into the hallway. The sound of a crow's caw made Avery quicken her pace towards the voice.

Avery spotted Elena just as Damon appeared in front of her. Avery narrowed her eyes at his back, and prayed that he wouldn't try anything stupid with the Gilbert girl.

"I... I'm sorry for barging in. The door was..." Elena looked at the closed door behind her. "Open."

"You must be Elena," Damon said. "I'm Damon. Stefan's brother."

"Stefan didn't tell me he had a brother." Elena commented, glancing at Avery.

"Well, Stefan's not one to brag. Please, come. I'm sure Stefan will be along any second." Damon sent a patronising smirk in Avery's direction.

At this, Elena acknowledged Avery. "Hey, Avery."

"Hey, Elena. Um... what are you doing here?" Avery asked her nervously, glancing at Damon.

"I just wanted to... talk to, um, Stefan," she answered. She looked around the room again. "Wow. This is your living room?"

"Living room, parlor, Sotheby's auction," Damon interrupted. "It's a little kitschy for my taste. I see why my brother's so smitten. It's about time. For awhile there, I never thought he'd get over the last one. Nearly destroyed him."

Avery drew in a breath.

"The last one?" Elena repeated.

"Yeah. Katherine. His girlfriend?" She shook her head, pressing her lips together awkwardly. "Oh. You two haven't had the awkward exes conversation yet."

"Nope."

"Oops. Well, I'm sure it'll come up now. Or maybe he didn't tell you because he didn't want you to think he was on the rebound. We all know how those relationships end."

"You say it like every relationship is doomed to end."

"I'm a fatalist."

Avery jumped as a presence appeared next to her, followed by a trail of cool air. It made goosebumps appear against Avery's burning skin.

"Hello, Stefan."

Avery squeezed her eyes shut as another wave of nausea swept over her, the whole scenario was extremely unsettling to her. Two vampire relatives and a clueless girl who looked like their dead ex-girlfriend? It was a recipe for disaster.

"Elena," Stefan said. "I didn't know you were coming over."

"I know," she said. "I should have called, I just..."

"Oh, don't be silly," Damon said, cutting her off. "You're welcome any time. Isn't she, Stefan? Avery?"

Avery felt even more flustered under the gaze of all three of them. She mumbled something that vaguely resembled acknowledgement. Stefan sent her a sideways glance but was interrupted by Damon.

"You know, I should break out the family photo albums or some home movies. But... I have to warn you. He wasn't always such a looker."

"Thank you for stopping by, Elena. Nice to see you." Stefan said, his gaze on Damon.

"Yeah, I should probably go. It was nice to meet you, Damon." Elena answered awkwardly.

"Great meeting you, too, Elena." Damon smirked.

"Uh, see you Avery," Elena said, making her way towards the door, "Stefan? Stefan?"

Stefan stepped out of her way so she could leave the house.

"Great gal. Whoo. She's got spunk. You, on the other hand, look pooped. Did you overexert yourself today? Let me guess... hospital." Damon taunted.

"Someone had to clean up your mess." Stefan retorted. Avery felt her heart jump a little at his words. She was glad she had given the back to school party a miss.

"Well, were you successful? Did the powers of persuasion work? Remember, if you don't feed properly, none of those little tricks work right." Damon mocked.

Stefan ignored him and turned to face the pale teenager, "How long was Elena here, Avery?"

She felt the drum of her nervous heart pounding in her ears and the loud hum of the familiar dulling pain in her head. She reached up and rubbed her temple soothingly as she replied, "Not long, Stefan."

"Were you worried, Stefan? Scared we may be doomed to repeat the past? Isn't that why you play your little game, 'I'm a high school human'?" Damon taunted.

"I'm not playing any game."

"Of course you are. We both know the closest you'll ever get to humanity is when you rip it open and feed on it."

Avery felt bile rise up her throat.

"What kind of game are you playing, Damon?"

"Guess you'll just have to wait and see, won't you?"

And with that, Avery was running to the bathroom.

____

AN: re-written 14/04/2022

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

23.5K 954 94
After graduating from Harvard, I returned to my hometown of Mystic Falls after a long time. Unfortunately, things were not as I had left them. I lost...
87.9K 1.7K 82
--Vampire Diaries Fanfiction-- We're all born and one day we all die. But the world isn't that simple. We all know the stories our parents told us be...
15.9K 784 30
"Thought we built a dynasty forever couldn't break up." Damon Salvatore x Oc Starting in : TVD Season 1 - ✅ Season 2 (writing) - To be determined _...
128K 2.9K 74
⚜️⚜️⚜️ "She loved them long before Katherine did. If she was never taken away, they wouldn't have moved on. And honestly, even though they...