Defying The Odds | Luke Hemmi...

By orangexmint

"You need to hang on." he told her through his tears. "I need you." She nodded. "You come back to me alive."... More

Acknowledgments
prologue
0.1
0.2
0.3
0.4
0.5
0.6
0.7
0.8
0.9
1.0
1.1
1.2
1.3
1.4
1.5
1.6
1.7
1.8
1.9
2.0
2.1
2.2
2.3
2.4
2.5
2.6
2.7
2.8
2.9
3.0
3.1
3.2
3.3
3.4
3.6
3.7
3.8
epilogue: seven years later
Bonus Chapter: Harold

3.5

119 4 0
By orangexmint

Luke didn't come back.

He left Bella alone all night, causing her to feel even more upset than she already was and cry herself to sleep. Come morning, she was tired and upset. Ashton tried everything to get her to eat, drink, but Bella pushed it all away. All she wanted was Luke, but at this rate, she believed he wouldn't be back any time soon. Her emotions were clouding her judgment, and Ashton felt ready to snap at any moment.

"Bella," Ashton huffed. He sat on the edge of the bed, arms crossed over his chest. "You have to eat something."

"No." She replied, flatly.

"Fine. I didn't want it to have to come to this but fine! If you don't eat, they won't do the operation." Bella slowly turned her head to look at him. "Those lungs will go to someone else, and you'll be back at square one, waiting for a match! Do you really want that Bella? Huh? What happens if you don't make it that long and you actually die?"

"Ashton stop." She cried.

"No, because you need to hear this. If you're not well for tomorrow, they can't operate. How do you think Luke will feel? Huh? If you just gave that all away?"

"He won't care!" She yelled.

"Yes he would!" Ashton yelled back. "He loves you Bella!"

"Well he's being a jerk." She sobbed. She wiped away her tears. "He's made because I'm being realistic!" Ashton's expression became confused. He moved closer to her on the bed.

"What do you mean?"

"He's mad because I was only looking g at the negatives of tomorrow's surgery, but I couldn't help it. I'm scared Ashton. And he's mad because he doesn't think I'm happy with life but I am, I just- I know that there are good things to come but the thoughts are just there. And you yelled at me doesn't help either!" Ashton immediately felt guilty.

"I'm sorry." He replied, giving her a hug. "I didn't know."

"It's fine." She replied. Ashton sighed.

"You still need to eat Bella. I don't want you to just loose everything." Bella sighed. "How about this. You eat, and I'll talk to Luke." He bargained.

"Okay." She mumbled.

"That's my girl."

Luke stared up at his ceiling and sighed. He hadn't gone to the hospital all day and currently he was feeling a little guilty. He knew he shouldn't have just stormed out on Bella like that, but he was angry and needed to calm down. He knew she was probably angry with him, and didn't blame her.

There was a soft knock on his door followed by his mother's voice. "Luke," she said. "You have a visitor." He sat up in his bed.

"Who?" He asked.

"A boy. He said he's a friend of yours?" Tall, dirty blonde with curly hair."

Ashton.

"I'll be right down." Luke said. He threw on a shirt and waited until his mother was gone before leaving his room and headed downstairs.

Ashton stood in the living room, arms crossed, and a stern expression on his face. Luke swallowed, knowing that Ashton was probably about to yell at him. "Hey Ashton," Luke said, cautiously. "What brings you here?"

"Don't play dumb Luke," Ashton said. "You know damn why I'm here." The blonde not sighed.

"Bella." He said.

"Yes. Bella, your girlfriend. The one who decided not to eat all day because someone decided to get mad."

"She hasn't eaten?" Luke asked.

"Well I finally got her to. Stubborn girl." Luke ran a hand over his face. "What the hell is wrong with you."

"Me?" Luke asked. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"The only reason Bella is thinking negatively is because she's scared Luke! And you just up and left! Bella's been through enough already Luke, and you promised you wouldn't leave her. Well guess what Luke! You did! You got up and left her alone." Luke swallowed hard.

"Fuck." He cursed under his breath. He ran his fingers through his hair, knotting them there and pulling. "Fuck!" He placed his hands over his face and breathed in. "I'm an idiot." He said.

"Yeah, you are."

"Dammit. She hates me doesn't she?"

"Well she called you a jerk, but that was it." Ashton replied.

"Yep. She hates me."

"Talk to her. Preferably before they do the surgery." Luke nodded.

"Can you tell her- just tell her I love her?" He asked. Ashton nodded. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Bye Luke."

"Yeah, bye."

//

Bella woke early the following morning. It was Sunday. The day they'd all been waiting for, and she was scared.

Nurses moved about her room all day, going in and out, checking her vitals, and making sure everything was just running smoothly. Bella stayed quiet, not moving.

Sarah came in about an hour before the surgery, just to keep her company. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I guess so." She sighed. Bella looked down at her hands.

"Worried?"

"Yes, but not for the reason you would think."

"Enlighten me." Sarah said.

"Luke and I fought," she sighed. "Because I was to focused on the negatives and not the positives. He got up and left. He didn't come by at all yesterday and I'm scared that he's going to leave me Sarah. After everything we've been through."

"I'm not." A familiar voice said. Bella and Sarah both looked up. Luke stood in the doorway, making Bella's breath hitch in her throat.

"I'll give you to some time." Sarah said, standing up. "I'll be back in a hour to get you ready." Bella nodded. Luke moved aside so that Sarah could pass before moving to stand at the end of Bella's bed. He looked tired and his hair was slightly messy. Not done up in the usual quiff.

"I hate you." She said after a few moments of silence. "You said you weren't ever going to leave." She could feel her throat tightened, but she didn't want to cry anymore than she already had. "But you did. You just got up and left me." Luke moved a little closer and sat down on the bed.

"I know." Luke said. "And I know I haven't been the best boyfriend in the past few days either. I keep breaking promises and I always say sorry and sometimes sorry isn't enough, but I always mean it baby. I don't ever mean to hurt you intentionally." He reached out and gently touched the side of her face. Bella let out a strangled sob before pulling him in for a hug. Luke wrapped his arms around her tightly, letting a few tears escape too. "I love you." He said.

"I love you to." She whispered.

Sarah wheeled Bella out of her and into the hall. Her family stood on one side, while her friends and Luke on the other. "Bye Isa." Erin said, waving.

"I'll see you soon." Bella said, smoothing out the younger girls hair. "Love you."

"We love you to sis." Jared ad Jackson, said smiling. Bella smiled back.

"You're not going to cry now are you?" Bella teased, looking at her oldest brother.

"No." He said. "At least not in front of you." He laughed. "Be safe yeah?" She nodded. Bella turned to her head and looked at Maeve.

"Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone." She said. Maeve laughed.

"Not making any promises."

"Calum keep her check?"

"Will do." He said, wrapping an arm around Maeve.

"Hey, you actually dyes it pink." Bella said, pointing at Michael's hair.

"Yeah, and I look fine." He grinned.

"He does look hot." Ashton replied.

"Please, I always look hot." Michael replied. Everyone rolled their eyes. Bella reached her hand out and grabbed Luke's hand, pulling him in for a hug. She breathed in his scent, sighing contently.

"I love you." He mumbled against her neck.

"I love you to."

"You come back to me alive, you hear me?"

"I promise."

"I'll be there when you wake up." He pulled away and nodded to Sarah.

"Ready Bella?"

"I guess so." She replied. Sarah pushed the cot. Bella leaned back as the rolled towards the elevator.

"I love you!" She heard Luke shout at her.

"I love you to!" She shouted back. "I always will."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.4K 1.5K 30
~Book 3 in The Summer Series~ "Hey, Luke. It's Mila." I shifted from foot to foot nervously as I talked to the answering machine. "If...
16.2K 314 128
So these are my own stuff from my human brain and requests so message me who ya want and all that stuff XD Also if you want to read my Luke fan ficti...
271K 10.6K 39
He was silent. He didn't like talking. Being abused could do that to a person. And having a lisp and a stutter didn't help. He hadn't said a word in...
4.1K 134 33
In a world where a girl didn't believe in supernatural, and vowed she never would. But all that changed. "I'm Calum" he smirked. The girl didn't t...