Coming Home

By LizBizCheezWhiz

Makenzi Fox had it all. Perfect boyfriend, perfect grades, amazing friends, wonderful family. She was living... More

Coming Home
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue-Cayden
Epilogue-Kenzi
Author's Note
Character Guide

Chapter 32

185K 3.4K 706
By LizBizCheezWhiz

I woke up just as Cayden pulled up in front of our house. I slowly sat up, turning around in my seat to look in the backseat. I smiled as I saw Cain and Asher fast asleep. Each one had a hand in Aubree’s car seat as if they had been trying to comfort her. It was the cutest thing I’ve ever seen and I pulled my phone out to quickly take a picture of it. I quickly sent the picture to Tegan before climbing out of the truck. I grabbed my bag and shut the door before opening the back door and gathering a still sleeping Cain into my arms. Looking across the back seat, I saw Cayden gathering Asher into his arms before reaching across to unbuckle Aubree’s car seat. Once he got it unbuckled, he picked it up and brought it closer to his body, shutting the door behind him with his hip. I reached forward and grabbed Aubree’s diaper bag before turning and making my way to the house.

“Let’s put them to bed,” Cayden said, setting Aubree’s car seat down on the coffee table and heading towards Cain and Asher’s room. I followed behind him as Cain shifted in my arms.

Cayden flipped on the light as he walked through the doorway and went straight to Asher’s bed. He pulled the blankets back and gently set the toddler on the bed before tucking the covers around his small body. Once Asher was settled in bed, he walked over to me and grabbed Cain out of my arms. Cayden leaned down and gave me a quick kiss before turning around to tuck Cain in. I started to walk towards my sons when I heard a cry from the living room. I guess Aubree was awake.

I turned around and walked to the coffee table where Aubree was thrashing around in her car seat. I smiled as I leaned down and unbuckled her before gently gathering her in my arms. As soon as she was nestled against me, her cries quieted to whimpers. I smiled down at her, suddenly overcome with a sense of peace. Holding Aubree in my arms made me that much more anxious for my own baby girl to enter the world. I was still smiling down at the tiny baby when I felt arms wrap around me from behind. I smiled as I leaned back against Cayden with the baby still nestled in my arms.

“She’s so tiny,” he whispered as he lifted his hand to softly brush the back of his finger against Aubree’s cheek.

“She is. Just think, Aubree’s this tiny and she’s a month old. Imagine how small our baby is going to be when she’s born,” I responded softly, smiling as Aubree’s small lips began to search for her bottle that wasn’t there.

“Let me take her while you make the bottle,” Cayden suggested softly as he unwrapped his arms from around me and moved to stand in front of me. Cayden reached forward and gently took the baby from my arms, nestling her in the crook of his arm. I smiled as I imagined him doing that with our own baby.

I placed a soft kiss on Aubree’s forehead before making my way into the kitchen to make the bottle. I turned to look at Cayden, knowing this was something that I still had to teach him how to do. I was just about to call him over when I saw him sit down in the armchair, his eyes never leaving the baby in his arms. I decided to leave him be. We had Aubree for the weekend. I could always show him later.

Once I was finished making the bottle, I walked back over to Cayden, shaking the bottle to ensure that it was all mixed up. I stopped in front of Cayden and put my arms out to take the baby from him but he shook his head and took the bottle from me. Training his eyes back on the baby, he guided the bottle to her lips and smiled when she started eating. I stood in front of them watching them with my hands resting on my stomach. Aubree’s eyes were open and she was staring up and Cayden and I thought it was such a precious sight that I took a picture of it.

“Go to sleep Kenzi. I’ll be there once she’s done,” Cayden advised a few moments later after I suppressed my yawn for the sixth time.

“Okay,” I said before bending down and kissing Aubree’s forehead.

I gave Cayden a quick kiss before I made my way to our room.

Once I got to our room, I changed into my pajamas and laid down in my bed, pulling the blankets over me. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out. I guess I was more tired than I thought. I woke up briefly when Cayden climbed into bed behind me and wrapped his arms around me, his hands resting on my stomach.

The rest of the weekend flew by. We didn’t really leave the house as we didn’t really have anywhere to go. Cayden had homework so he worked on that while I kept an eye on Aubree and the twins. I taught Cayden how to make a bottle and change a diaper and all the stuff that he still needed to learn. The twins were ecstatic to have Aubree at our house. I took a million pictures that weekend and I was planning on sending them to Liam and Tegan once they got back from their honeymoon. I figured I’d let them have their alone time. Even though we didn’t do much, it was still an amazing weekend.

Sunday night rolled around and we were watching The Lion King. Cayden was done with homework and they boys had a little while before they had to go to bed so we were watching a movie. Cayden was on the end of the couch with Asher in his lap. I was leaning back against him with Aubree in my arms and Cain sitting on the couch behind my legs. We had just gotten to the part where Nala finds Simba again when there was a knock on the door.

“Come in!” Cayden called, knowing it would be Liam and Tegan.

“Where’s my baby?” Tegan asked as she burst into the room.

I laughed and held her daughter out to her. Tegan immediately scooped her up and cuddled her to her chest. Liam walked up beside her and leant down to place a kiss on his daughter’s head. I smiled as I watched them coddle their baby, who they had probably missed a lot even though they were only away from her for the weekend.

“Well hello to you too,” Cayden said sarcastically after a minute.

“Sorry. Hey guys. Thank you so much for watching her,” Tegan said with a laugh as she handed Aubree over to Liam so she could hug us.

“It was no problem. She’s a sweet baby and barely even cried,” I answered.

“Tegan!” Asher yelled, just now noticing that there were other people at the house too.

“Hey buddy,” Tegan answered leaning down to pick up my son.

“Baby,” Asher said pointing to Aubree.

“Yes, that’s my baby. Do you like her?” Tegan asked, walking over to Liam with Asher still in her arms.

“Pretty,” Asher responded as he touched Aubree’s head softly.

“Yeah she is little guy. It’s time for you to go to bed,” Cayden said as he placed a kiss on my forehead and stood up. He picked a drowsy Cain up from behind my legs and turned to grab Asher from Tegan.

“I’ve got him,” Liam said as he took Asher from Tegan and handed Aubree to her.

“Thanks man,” Cayden responded.

They brought the boys over to me so that I could give them a hug and a kiss before walking back to their room. I swung my legs around so that I was sitting straight on the couch and Tegan sat next to me.

“So there weren’t any problems?” Tegan asked, laying her baby on her legs so she didn’t necessarily have to hold her.

“No, none. She woke up a couple times during the night but that was to be expected. It was actually good having her around. Cayden got to learn how to make a bottle and change diapers and all that,” I answered.

“Well that’s good. How were the boys with her?”

“Amazing. Here, I’ve got some pictures.”

I pulled my phone out and brought up my photo gallery before going to the first picture and handing the phone over to Tegan so that she could look through them. She made exclamations throughout all of them, letting me know that she liked them. By the time she was done with them, Liam and Cayden had rejoined us.

“You’re getting big Kenzi,” Liam said as he pulled me to my feet to give me a hug.

“Ugh, tell me about it. I’m ready for this pregnancy to be over. I want to meet her already,” I groaned, wrapping my arms around him as best I could.

“Tegan was the same way,” Liam said with a laugh as I sat back down on the couch.

“I was the same way with the twins. Only worse. I was twice as big and I hated it.”

They all laughed as they found places to sit. Liam grabbed the bassinet that was in the corner and brought it over so that Tegan could put the baby in it.

“Oh! Kenzi, did you hear about Rox and Malachi?” Tegan asked her eyes glowing with excitement.

“No, what’s going on?” I asked curiously.

“Malachi finally asked her out.”

“It’s about time! We all knew they would get back together. It’s about time they got their heads out of their asses and actually did something about it.”

“I know. That’s what everyone has been saying.”

“I can’t believe she hasn’t called me though.”

“Well it just happened today. I got the phone call right before we got here. I’m sure she’ll call you soon.”

As if on cue, my cell phone started ringing from across the room. I had let it on the kitchen counter when I was making Aubree’s bottle and I guess I hadn’t picked it back up. I braced one hand against the couch and the other against Cayden as I started to push myself up.

“I’ll get it Kenzi. Don’t worry,” Liam said as he jumped to his feet and walked to the kitchen.

“Answer it so it doesn’t go to voicemail,” I said as he picked it up.

“Hey Rox,” Liam chirped as he answered my phone.

“Yeah she’s right here. It was easier for me to get the phone than for her to heave herself up,” Liam said as he stopped in front of me. I kicked my foot out at him and he winced as my foot made contact with his shin. He handed my phone over as he bent down to rub the spot I had kicked. Tegan and Cayden were having a hard time containing their laughter at the scene.

“Hello big sister,” I said into the phone once I brought it to my ear.

“Kenzi, you’ll never believe what happened!” she exclaimed sounding like a twelve year old girl rather than an almost twenty-three year old woman.

“Malachi asked you out,” I stated, laughing as she huffed down the phone.

“How did you know?” she sounded slightly disappointed.

“It’s a small town. Tegan got a phone call about it and then she told me.”

“Oh. Anyways, I can’t believe he asked me out!”

“I can. Anyone can see that the two of you are completely in love with each other. We’ve all been waiting for the two of you to pull your heads out of your asses and get back together.”

“Well it’s happened and I’m so excited.”

“Where’s he taking you?”

“To that new Italian restaurant that opened a few towns over. It’s supposed to be really good.”

“Well I’m happy for you Rox. You’ll have to call me afterwards and tell me all about it.”

“Oh I will. Well, I have to go. He’ll be here soon so I have to finish getting ready. Mom says to remind you that she and Emily are picking the boys up tomorrow to take them and Jayson to that new kid’s indoor playground thing that just opened.”

“Okay Rox. I’ll talk to you later.”

I hung up the phone only to have Tegan demand to know everything that I knew. I laughed as I recounted all that my sister had told me. When I was done, I looked up to see Cayden and Liam staring at us with incredulous expressions.

“Do you two do that when we go on dates?” Liam asked looking from me Tegan.

“Not really. Not unless it’s something big.”

“Yeah like anniversaries and birthdays and stuff like that,” Tegan added.

“Anyway, don’t you two have to go soon in order to make it home in time?” Cayden asked, looking from Liam to Tegan.

“Yeah we probably should leave,” Tegan answered.

As Cayden and Liam gathered up all of Aubree’s things I pulled the bassinet closer to me.  Reaching in, I scooped the baby into my arms and cuddled her to my chest. I kissed her little forehead before handing her off to Tegan and pushing myself to my feet.

“Bye guys. Thank you again for watching Aubree,” Liam said as he and Cayden did that guy handshake/hug thing.

“It was no problem,” Cayden answered.

“It was a learning experience for Cayden,” I said with a laugh as Liam pulled me in for a hug.

“I’ll bet,” Tegan said as she hugged me and then Cayden.

 Cayden and I walked them to the door and waved until Liam drove out of sight. Then we walked back inside and sat back down on the couch.

“So I just got an email,” Cayden said as he wrapped his arms around me.

“Yeah? Who from?” I asked leaning my head on his chest.

“My professors. Apparently my classes are cancelled for tomorrow. Do you know what that means?”

“What?”

“You’re all mine tomorrow.”

“I like the sound of that.”

I sat in Cayden’s arms as he nuzzled my neck and I couldn’t think of a time where I had been happier. I had the best boyfriend I could ever ask for, I had two amazing sons that I would do anything for, and I had a baby girl on the way. My life was looking pretty good right then.

Speaking of emails, I suddenly remembered the one that I had gotten earlier on that day. I bit my lip as I had an internal debate on whether or not to bring it up. We were in such good moods and  I didn’t want to put a damper on them but at the same time it was something that I knew Cayden would want to hear.

“I got an email earlier as well,” I said.

“Who from?” he asked with his face still buried in my neck.

“Janet,” I answered causing Cayden’s head to snap up and turn to look at my face.

“What did she say?” he asked earnestly, his hands unconsciously forming into fists.

“There won’t be a trial. I guess Dylan admitted to everything so they’ve got him on attempted murder, second degree manslaughter, assault with a deadly weapon and then a few more charges from Arizona. The judge sentenced him to life in prison without parole,” I answered as I wrapped my hands around Cayden’s to get him to stop clenching them.

“So we’re done with him?” he asked for clarification.

“Yes we are. We never have to deal with that psycho again.”

A look of absolute relief flooded Cayden’s face before he leaned forward to press his lips to mine. I kissed him back eagerly as I entangled my fingers in his hair. I was so glad that the Dylan thing was over and we didn’t have to worry about it anymore. Apparently, so was Cayden.

“Come on baby girl. Let’s go to bed,” Cayden said as he pulled away and stood up.

“Sounds good to me,” I answered as I grasped his hands so that he could pull me up.

I let Cayden lead me into our room, stopping on the way to make sure our sons were sleeping. Once we got in our room, Cayden stripped down to his boxers and climbed into bed as I changed into my pajamas. Cayden was lying on his side, one arm holding the blanket up so that I could slide into bed. I lied down next to Cayden and laid my head on his chest. I had to shift slightly since my baby bump was getting in the way. As soon as Cayden’s arms wrapped around me I was fast asleep.

The next morning I woke up to Cayden, Cain, and Asher sprawled out on the couch watching cartoons. I smiled as I picked up Asher and took his place on the couch and settled him in my lap. He turned away from the cartoons to smile at me before turning to watch the show again.

“Morning baby girl,” Cayden said as he leaned over to place a kiss on my lips.

“Good morning Cayden and good morning to you too baby boy,” I said leaning over to place a kiss on Cain’s cheek. He giggled and smiled as me before turning back to the cartoons.

“Our moms are on their way so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to watch cartoons with them,” Cayden commented.

“Sounds good,” I answered as I leaned my head against Cayden’s shoulder.

A few minutes later, I felt small little hands on my stomach. Looking down, I saw Cain was sitting up in Cayden’s lap facing me. His little hands were moving across my stomach as a giant smile grew across his face.

“Baby,” Cain said as his hands continued to move across my stomach.

“Yeah buddy, that’s your baby sister, huh?” Cayden asked, smiling down at our son.

“Uh-huh. Baby sister,” Cain answered. Suddenly, the baby in my stomach kicked out at Cain’s hand, making him squeal with laughter. I smiled a baby him as he continued to move his hand and the baby kept kicking him. Soon, Asher was joining in and I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face.

There was a knock on the door and the boys jumped up to run to the door. Cayden was right behind them, making sure that they didn’t answer the door on their own. When the door opened, I saw both my mom and Cayden’s mom along with Jayson. The twins squealed when they saw Jay and they grabbed him and drug him to their room.

“Boys, we’re leaving. We have to go,” Emily called after them as she laughed slightly.

“I’ll get them when you guy leave. Come in, sit down,” Cayden said as he gave first his mom and then my mom a kiss on their cheeks.

“You’re getting so big Kenzi!” Mom gushed as she sat down next to me and put her hand on my stomach. The baby immediately started kicking her hand.

“Have you figured out names yet?” Emily asked as she mimicked Mom’s position on my other side.

“We’ve talked about it but we haven’t come to a decision yet,” I answered as I smiled up at Cayden.

We talked to our moms for a few more minutes before they had to go. Cayden went and got the boys and Mom and Emily took them out to the car. Once they were gone, Cayden sat next to me once again and pulled me into his arms. Within seconds, he leaned down to connect his lips with mine and I locked my arms around his neck as he nibbled on my bottom lip.

“Come on baby, we’re going out,” Cayden said a few moments later when he pulled back.

“Where are we going?” I asked, my arms still locked around Cayden’s neck.

“It’s a surprise.”

After a few minute of trying to get it out of him, I realized that he wasn’t going to tell me anything so I relented and went into our room to get dressed. On the way, I passed my old room that we had converted into a nursery for the baby. We had it all set up for the baby. All that was missing was her. I smiled and walked into my room to change.

“Ready to go?” Cayden asked a few minutes later as I walked out into the living room.

I nodded and he grabbed my hand and led me out.

*******

“I am so tired,” I moaned hours later when we walked back through the front door.

“I know baby. Give me a minute and I’ll run a bath for you. Maybe it’ll help,” Cayden said, placing a kiss on the top of my head as he helped me sit on the couch before walking back to our room.

I laid my head back on the couch and sighed. The day had been amazing. We had gone to the lake and swam around just like we used to do in the one back in our hometown. After that we had went to the bowling alley and spent a few hours there. We had gone to see a movie and then went out for dinner. It doesn’t sound like much but I enjoyed every second of it.

“Bath is ready baby girl,” Cayden said as he appeared in front of me.

I smiled as I grabbed his extended hand and pulled myself up. He led me into our bathroom and we stopped in front of the bath. I dipped my hand in and sighed. The temperature was absolutely perfect. I stripped down and sank into the bath as Cayden left the room, mumbling something about a phone call.

Half an hour later, I was completely relaxed and didn’t want to move. My head was laid back resting against the edge of the tub and my legs were stretched out in front of me. I was on the verge of falling asleep when Cayden walked back in.

“Come on baby girl. I have something I want you to see,” he said, grabbing a towel and holding it open for me.

I sighed and carefully stood up before stepping out of the bath and letting Cayden wrap the towel around me. He helped me dry off and then wrapped my fluffy robe around me before taking my hand and leading me towards the living room. He stopped in the hallway and turned to face me.

“Close your eyes,” he commanded softly, reaching up to shut my eyes for me.

I giggled as he led me into the living room. He moved behind me and placed his hands on my shoulders and led me wherever he wanted me to be. Then I felt him move and I couldn’t tell where he was anymore. My curiosity was growing and it was so tempting to take a quick peek, but I resisted.

“Open your eyes,” Cayden murmured softly as he appeared at my side once again.

I opened my eyes to see a massive amount of pictures tacked to the wall in front of me. Upon closer inspection, I saw that they were all of us. The ones at the far left were from when we were little kids and as I moved along, I watched us grow up. There were pictures of just us and there were some with our families and Liam and Tegan in them. Tears formed in my eyes as I looked at the pictures. The last one I came to was taken a week before. We had spent the day with Tristan and Rox and Rox decided to have a picnic since it was warm that day. I was sitting between Cayden’s legs, leaning back against his chest. Cain and Asher were on either side of me, playing with my stomach. Cain was laughing at something Tristan had said from behind the camera and Asher had just leaned down to kiss my stomach. Tristan had snapped the picture at the perfect moment. As I looked at the pictures, I saw that they seemed to be spelling something so I took a few steps back and gasped at what I saw.

Will You Marry Me?

I gasped and brought my hand up to cup my mouth as tears sprang in my eyes. I turned to look at Cayden only to find him down on one knee, holding a ring out to me. My eyes widened and I was finding it hard to breathe.

“Makenzi, I’ve known you my entire life and I’ve been in love with you for that entire time. We’ve been through a lot together and we’ve had our ups and downs but we’ve made it through all that and our relationship is stronger than ever. Will you marry me?”

I couldn’t speak so I nodded my head frantically.

“Is that a yes?” Cayden asked as he stood up with a huge grin.

“Yes!” I burst out as I threw myself at him. He slipped the ring on my finger before gathering me in his arms and crushing me to him as best he could due to my baby bump. I tightened my arms around his neck, pulling my head back so that I could look him in the eye.

“I love you.”

“As I love you.”

I buried my face in the side of his neck as I enjoyed the feeling of being in his arms. I couldn’t believe how well my life had turned out. I had an amazing, supportive family. I had fantastic sons that didn’t give me too much trouble. I had the best friends I could ever ask for. I was engaged to the man of my dreams. I had a baby girl on the way. My life was perfect and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

It’s crazy to think that I almost through this all away by running to Arizona. I think the best decision I ever made was Coming Home.

_______________________________________________________________________

Hey guys, I know this took me forever to get out and I'm so so sorry for that. School has been a nightmare lately and I haven't had time to do anything that's not school related. I uploaded though! This is the last chapter and I hope I did the story justice. The epilogues should be out soon. I've started them, but I still need to finish them. Thank you all for sticking with this story. It means a lot to me. Oh, and the video on the side is the people I've casted for Kenzi and Cayden singing, I don't know why but I love the song. I hope you do too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

I Promise By abby

Teen Fiction

108K 4.2K 39
"I do not dance. It's not for people like me." I said as I looked at the wall behind him trying my best to avoid any hint of agreement in his eyes. "...
7.3K 522 65
What happens when someone whom you used to call as 'bestfriend' turns out to be someone who you never thought him to become like and all this happen...
2.6M 73.4K 45
Completed - He had me pinned against the wall outside of his dorm late at night. He was staring down at me angrily. I was confused to say the least...
343K 6.6K 52
Emotions are what makes us human, especially love. Caring for other individuals keeps our humanity intact. But, what's Peri to think when the very fe...