Prithvi... [Volume 4]

By VermillionBlue

This is the continuation of the story that began with Prithvi.. (volume 1) - http://www.wattpad.com/story/543... More

Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112

Chapter 101

30.6K 1.2K 1.2K
By VermillionBlue

Nandini fervently willed the lump in her throat to disappear, terrified he would brush aside his confession and revert to his mocking self if she didn't return the confession at the earliest. She had craved to hear those words from his lips for so long. And when he'd finally said it, emotions had overwhelmed her completely, rendering her incapable of speech or thought.

But the constriction in her throat was easing, and the unreasonable fear that she had misheard him was lessening. She would be able to speak without breaking down.

"I love you too," she whispered into his chest.

"You waited very long to say it back. The words have almost lost their value," Prithvi murmured.

Nandini laughed shakily at the convoluted apology, and tilted her face to meet his gentle eyes.

"You would have treasured them even if it had taken years," she said warmly.

Riddled with guilt, he examined her vividly expressive face. He had forced her to stay in an unfamiliar place and environment. Then he had maintained the set pattern of his days and hardly spent any time with her. And the crowning glory was the nastiness he'd displayed before leaving in the morning. But she hadn't complained or asked for explanations.

"I put up with a lot from you," Prithvi said uncomfortably.

"Only because you plan to settle scores someday," she responded playfully, scrunching up her features in an attempted portrayal of wickedness.

"You've never waited so eagerly for punishment," he assured with a grin.

"I'm unaware of how cruel you can be," Nandini warned laughingly. She draped her arms around his neck. "I don't know if it's past twelve, but..." she paused and reached up to kiss a stubbly cheek.

Gazing at his astonished but pleased visage, she lovingly said, "Happy birthday. I hope you're blessed with peace and happiness. And I want all your wishes to come true. Unless they are mean or shameless," she added hastily, and chuckled as the sinful gleam in his eyes vanished as swiftly as it had appeared.

"So, basically, none of my wishes are going to get fulfilled," Prithvi deduced.

Nandini's face turned pink. "They will. If they have a 'Universal' rating," she giggled, then earnestly said, "I really want this day to be a happy one for you."

"My executioner has a nasty sense of humour," he said darkly.

She smiled and kissed his other cheek. Right away, a desire she had quelled out of shame a few times in the past re-emerged. An attempt to repress it again failed, because it held such ferocious strength this time that her willpower didn't stand a chance.

Heart hammering, she stretched up to lightly caress his lips with hers.

He gazed at her in disbelief, half-convinced he'd experienced an incredible hallucination. But the mortified colour and discomfort on her face said otherwise. And it was also plain that if he acted on the wish to grab her and kiss her senseless, similar hallucinations would avoid him in the future.

Nandini reluctantly said, "I think -"

"You should go back to your room," he completed the sentence.

Relieved at the absence of rancour in his tone, she nodded hesitantly.

"Alright," Prithvi sighed, drawing back. He stepped around her and made his way to the switchboard behind one of the doors

Nandini felt a painful twinge of regret as she followed him. His understanding had only strengthened the wish to prolong the sweetness of the moment. But it was too late in the night, and Kadambari knew they were together...

The lights went off, and the darkness was absolute. Then he grasped her hand to lead her out of the room, and her spirits rose.

They were going to spend the whole day together, Nandini mused as they headed out of the room and turned left. The thought was filling her with a euphoric joy. And for now, she could savour the togetherness till they reached her room.

And maybe she could give him the gift as well. But was it worthy of being given at all, Nandini pondered in trepidation while they wove their way through softly lit halls and passageways. A clock in one of the rooms revealed the time to be twenty one minutes past twelve. She had wished him on the right day.

The birthday was his, but she was the one who had received a priceless present. Her idea of a gift was awfully inadequate in comparison. But she hadn't thought of any other options. And now she didn't have the time to purchase something worthwhile.

The confusion had increased manifold by the time they reached a familiar foyer. Then her room's door came into view. She had to arrive at a decision. It would undoubtedly be wiser to wait and contemplate her options tomorrow. But she would expire out of anxiety by sunrise.

She stopped and looked at him diffidently. "Could you wait here for a minute?"

"Sure," Prithvi agreed, letting go of her hand.

"I'll be right back," Nandini said brightly and hurried to her room. She opened the door, rushed through the sitting area and entered the bedroom. Opening the wardrobe, she kneeled to access the left corner of the bottommost section and pulled out a bag. The bag she had given Sumer Singh long ago, and the one she had requested him to return two days back. She chose a bulging envelope from the contents. The bag was then stowed back into the wardrobe.

Nervous as well as excited, Nandini rose to shut the wardrobe. And then, she heard the noise of the main door being locked. She stilled for a moment, then ran to the sitting room.

The door was indeed shut. Prithvi was standing near the large and plush couch, intently evaluating it.

"What are you doing?" she asked, dumbfounded.

He gave her a look that said she had asked a daft question. "I'm sleepy and don't want to go back to my room. You'll turn hysterical if I go near the bed, so I'll have to sleep on the couch," he explained sadly.

Unadulterated fear took hold of her. "You – here- you cannot sleep in this room!" she exclaimed in a strangled voice.

"Who's going to stop me? You?" Prithvi asked derisively.

"You cannot - you have to go back to your room. Or – or I'll call Choti maa!"

"You won't take the risk of making her think less of me," he countered smugly.

Beside herself with anger and dread, Nandini stalked to him, distractedly casting the envelope on the short table in front of the sofa, and pushed at his chest, trying to shove him towards the door.

Standing immovable as a mountain, he watched her with admiration. "You're really strong."

She paused and glared at him. "Get out of this room!" she yelled.

"This is my first demand," Prithvi said briskly.

Befuddled, she looked at him. "What?"

"This is the first of my three demands. From this moment, for the next twenty four hours, you're not allowed to leave my side. I'll give you an hour or two in the morning to get ready. And you can take bathroom breaks," he granted generously. "But apart from that, you have to be with me all the time. Don't bother using my promise against me," he astutely forestalled her next rejoinder. "It was part of the deal that neither of us can use the promises to dodge the other's demand."

Nandini's heart sank. She was snared in a trap that she had helped manufacture. It was amazing how rapidly the love she'd felt towards him had altered into a strong desire to throttle him.

"You can sleep in this room tonight," she said frigidly. "But I better not see you even hovering near the bedroom's doorway. That is my first demand for the day."

"What if I don't let you leave this room?" Prithvi enquired.

"Then your birthday will double up as your death anniversary next year onwards," she spat out furiously.

"Your mind is in the gutter, woman," Prithvi reproved in a hurt voice. "I only meant we could sit up and discuss our feelings till sunrise. You know how much I enjoy talking about that bullcrap."

Nandini had to focus on her anger to stop her lips from twitching. Then she gasped as he moved forward.

"I need something from you. I won't be able to sleep tonight if I don't get it," he said, staring at her compellingly.

"What - what do you want?" she asked squeakily.

"A pillow," Prithvi said courteously.

She stared at his solemn features. No sign of mischief was visible. But then she knew from experience that he possessed Oscar-worthy acting talent.

"I'll bring one," she said grudgingly, turning to go to the adjoining room.

Grinning after her, he was going to take a seat on the couch when the envelope on the table caught his eye. He had seen it in her hand. Was this the reason she had asked him to wait?

Clutching a pillow and light coverlet, Nandini emerged from the bedroom in time to see him reaching for the gift.

"Don't take that!" she shrieked, rushing forward. He had time to snatch it, and she expected him to do so. But he allowed her to take the envelope, and though he appeared a little puzzled, no questions came her way.

Strangely touched, she felt obliged to mumble, "It's your gift. I'll give it to you tomorrow."

"I'm not in any hurry," Prithvi comforted.

She looked at him charily, then walked to one end of the sofa and neatly arranged the pillow and coverlet.

The reverse countdown in his head had reached two when she swivelled to him.

"You don't mind waiting till tomorrow?" she asked resentfully.

"You asked me to wait," he pointed out.

"Yes...but - aren't you curious?" she asked indignantly.

"It's just a fat envelope," Prithvi said reasonably. "I doubt it has the keys to your chastity belt - or I should say full-body armour."

She looked fiercely at him and spun to return to the bedroom.

All of a sudden, his arms were coiling around her to halt her progress. He pulled back her stiff but yielding body, holding her securely against himself. The envelope was plucked from her hand.

"Give it back," Nandini said crossly, twisting her face to glower at him. His lips pecked at a sensitive spot near her mouth. Reddening, she turned her attention back to the envelope he was opening.

He released her waist to open the flap and drew out neatly folded foolscap sheets from the envelope.

"Do these pages describe every thought that passed through your mind in the last few weeks that I luckily missed hearing first-hand?" Prithvi asked suspiciously.

Keeping tense eyes on the papers, Nandini subdued a laugh and muttered, "No." He was going to laugh at her as soon as he opened the sheets of paper...

She kept her right hand on his, and looked at him. "Don't open it in front of me. Or – maybe you could see it tomorrow."

His bemused gaze held her in suspense, then he nodded slightly.

Reassured, she edged out of his loosened embrace to face him agitatedly. Then she turned and bolted to the bedroom.

Entertained and far more intrigued than she knew, he unfolded the papers.

On top of the first page, she'd written, 'For all those days I didn't say it, and for all those days I might not be able to'.

Underneath the sentence, 'I love you' had been written again and again in her sweetly rounded handwriting, covering the whole sheet on both sides, and the next, and the next...

Seven sheets of ordinary paper brimming with an extraordinary love....

An incomparable love that never ceased to astound him with its purity and strength...

*******************************

Nandini warily stared at the archway between the rooms. The main light in the sitting room had been switched off some minutes ago.

What sort of people had constructed this palace, she thought crankily. They could construct a colossal building but couldn't install a door between the sitting area and bedroom.

She abstractedly wondered if he gone through the pages. If he had, he must be harbouring doubts about her sanity, she mused wryly. And he would not be fully wrong.

The pages were the result of the horrible afternoon she'd spent in her room on the day torturous memories had resurfaced to haunt her. Memories of the day he had almost died. And then she'd recollected the times he had demanded to hear those words, and the weeks of silence she'd maintained because of anger.

The stationary had been readily available in a drawer of the glossy cabinet in the other room. And she'd sat on this bed and written till the ache in her hand had become excruciating.

Nandini ran a hand across her eyes. She was awfully tired but didn't want to lower her guard just yet.

The light from the bedside lamps was comforting. She usually slept in darkness but her nerves were jumpy tonight. His presence in the adjoining room was more disconcerting than she could dare reveal to him.

She knew in her heart that she was safe with him. Yet, in this matter, purely instinctive fears were stronger than faith. If only it would be morning soon...

*************************

Prithvi lightly settled down on the other side of the bed, looking cautiously at the girl sleeping on her side, wrapped in a coverlet. He kept the precious envelope near his pillow.

The lamps had been left on for security, he gauged amusedly. But the measure had worked to his benefit. He could fall asleep gazing at the loveliest face in the world.

He'd said he loved her. But it wasn't entirely true, Prithvi thought as his drowsiness increased.

A frivolous and atrociously abused word like love couldn't capture his emotions any better than a dewdrop could pretend to possess the might of an ocean.

*****************************

When he awoke after hours of sound sleep, she was sleeping on her back. A petite hand had snuck out of the covers to rest beside her head.

He wanted to clasp the slender fingers. But if the touch awakened her, a chaotic outburst was bound to follow.

Unwilling to jeopardize the contentment in the moment, he sleepily analysed the exquisiteness of her profile.

A whole day was going to go waste. However, it was the least he could do for her. Then again, his motives weren't unselfish. He wanted to spend time with her before she left and his life turned into an arid wasteland again.

*********************

Nandini woke up with a start.

The room was flooded with the sunlight filtering through the fine curtains.

She jumped out of bed and dashed to the sitting room. The pillow and coverlet were on the couch, but Prithvi was gone. The envelope was missing as well.

Lightheaded with relief, Nandini picked up the two items and walked back to the bedroom. She groggily fell back on the mattress, clutching them to herself.

With paralysing anxiety having evaporated, positive emotions made their way back bit by bit.

Pure happiness on reliving the unforgettable moments when he had finally confessed his love. Thrill at the thought of spending the whole day with him. And a rush of love that made her wish she could hold him close forever.

Once Prithvi found his mother, they would return to Shamli along with Sumer Singh and Kadambari, Nandini imagined blissfully. Their families would live side-by-side in harmony. Life would go back to normal. No, life would become more joyous, and she would not be parted from him again..

******************************

Sumer Singh fondly looked at the dashing, if moody, young man reclining in the armchair. The fitting of the clothes was impeccable as anticipated. "You're the splitting image of your father in this suit."

"For the fourth time, Baba, I'm more handsome," Prithvi said vaguely, rifling listlessly through a technological magazine.

Sumer Singh smiled and said, "Once again, happy birthday, my lord."

"You've been possessed by the spirit of a vengeful broken tape recorder," Prithvi diagnosed, scanning an article. "Go to Shamli and get treated by the ghostbuster."

Chortling, Sumer Singh excused himself and walked out of the room.

Prithvi skimmed through the rest of the magazine, and chucked it aside. He stood up and strolled to the balcony.

It was going to be a long, dreary and mind-numbingly depressing day. The kind no one would have had the courage to inflict on him some months ago. But he had to concede that the prospect of what lay ahead didn't infuriate him as much as it would have back then. Anything could be endured if she was with him.

************************

Kadambari knocked on the door a second time, and then dubiously pushed the handle. She pursued her lips as the door opened. Nandini had not locked it from the inside for the second night in a row.

There were no security concerns, of course. The girl was thoroughly safe in the palace. But a woman constantly had to be on her guard irrespective of how secure the environment appeared to be.

Kadambari marched into the suite but stopped in surprise at the entrance to the bedroom.

Nandini was awake and ready. Dressed in the salwar kurta specifically chosen for the day, she was standing in front of the mirror and regarding her reflection uncertainly.

The dark red outfit with graceful, intricate golden embroidery and a gossamer pale gold dupatta had been an excellent choice, Kadambari commended herself. And the dress had found the ideal owner.

Nandini's hair was uncombed, she hadn't worn any jewellery, and there was no makeup on her face apart from the kohl in her eyes. Yet, the girl was looking extremely gorgeous. No one who saw her today would believe she was not a princess.

Their lack of doubt, however, would be compensated by the girl's shaky confidence, Kadambari mulled acerbically. "The colour suits you," she said loudly.

Nandini jumped and spun to look at the entrant. Cheer spread on her face and she ran to Kadambari. "You look so beautiful, aunty! Isn't this the saree we bought in Purvanagar?" she quizzed volubly, looking at the superb grey silk saree with golden motifs and a bottle-green border. "How did you get the blouse stitched so soon? Wait – does this mean – are you coming to the temple with us?" she asked eagerly.

Kadambari chuckled. "How many questions! I'll answer the last one first. Yes, I'll be accompanying all of you to the temple. What you said that night...well, you certainly have a fine way of making people do what they don't want," she summarised stuffily, then added, "Yes, it is one of those sarees. And I stitched the blouse myself."

"It's perfect," Nandini smiled, not wishing to push her luck by talking about the trip. "I wish I could stitch so well."

"It's not a skill everyone can master," Kadambari preened and then pointed to the short chair that had been shunted out of its customary place in front of the dressing table. "Sit on that. I'll comb your hair today."

The unanticipated offer took Nandini by surprise. Then she hastened to obey. Placing the chair in its designated spot, she took a seat in front of the mirror and held out a comb to the plump woman.

Kadambari clasped the comb, and began running it gently through Nandini's voluminous, silky tresses.

"You should get your hair trimmed. The ends are looking untidy," she said primly.

"I want to," Nandini said ruefully, relishing the unexpected treat. "But hairdressers usually end up chopping many inches. And he won't like it."

"Who won't like it?" Kadambari asked sharply.

Flustered, Nandini said, "I meant – not he, 'I' wont like it."

Kadambari was not convinced. However, she decided not to chase the topic. "You don't have any makeup items, do you? I didn't see any in your bag."

"No. I don't wear makeup," Nandini admitted. "I feel uncomfortable with it...like my skin can't breathe."

Kadambari suppressed a snort, feeling reluctant to deride the silliness. Once Nandini's hair was tied in her usual half-open fashion, she helped her wear the necklace and earrings. When it was the turn of the bangles, the girl turned fidgety. Recording a suspicion in her mind, Kadambari didn't insist, and serenely went on to choose the best bindi for the dress.

Nandini rose and turned to face Kadambari. "Am I looking - alright?" she asked uneasily.

"Yes," Kadambari smiled. The prince had certainly selected a unique specimen. It would be near impossible to come across another girl who was so stupidly oblivious to her own beauty. And unfortunately, the future didn't hold any hope of dawning awareness, because the ignorance seemed to be rooted in an inherent, blatant disinterest. On a sudden whim, she kindly said, "You should go to Prithvi's room and wish him. Wear the cream sandals. I'll come there later."

"Okay, aunty," Nandini mumbled. "I'll just take my phone."

"Leave it here. I'll bring it in my handbag," Kadambari said calmly, and walked to the intercom to summon a servant.

*************************

Nandini genially thanked the lady who had halted on seeing the archway that led to Prithvi's room. The nervy woman fled.

Sumer Singh was standing beneath the archway. He was on the phone but put the call on hold on spotting her.

"Nandini, my girl, you look radiant," Sumer Singh smiled. "Go right in. He's ready."

"Yes, uncle. Is he...errm..." she faltered.

"Nothing to worry about! He's in a fine mood," Sumer Singh answered jubilantly. "I haven't heard one angry comment since morning. He saw the external flower decorations too, and still didn't say a word. It's a miracle." Then waving her towards the room, he jovially said, "Go on. He's waiting for you. I know he is."

Flushing, Nandini smiled and walked to the suite with a strange excitement thrumming through her. She would wish him again, and also show him her anklets. And hopefully, he would not mention the gift and embarrass her.

The doors were partially open. Her right hand rose automatically to caress the splendid gilded embellishments on the wood. The metal was cool to the touch. She knocked loudly once, then gently pushed the doors open to see an enormous, charming sitting room. It was filled with sunlight and a gusty breeze was flitting around. She vacillated at the room's threshold, feeling jittery.

Why was she making an occasion out of nothing...

Nandini self-consciously entered the suite. Its layout was similar to her room, with an archway that led to the bedroom, and a balcony at the other end of the room. The balcony's door was fully open, and from here, it appeared to be more enormous than the suite. There was a mild, appealing fragrance in the air.

She tentatively strolled further inside, and peeked into the bedroom. It was stunning as well, and it was also twice the size of her entire room. The general décor of the suite was in tune with the style of this wing of the palace. Unfussy and beautiful. The most vibrant article in the suite was a framed blue flag hung on the walls of the living room. The large flag looked ancient, and she identified the image on it as the family's coat of arms, which Uday Singh had described avidly day before yesterday.

The rising sun was at the crest. The main emblem, beautifully showcasing the divine weapons of the mother goddess, was supported by a lion and a tiger. The Sanskrit motto at the bottom of the image translated as "Aadya Devi's grace is our true power."

Nandini continued to walk towards the balcony, and then stepped into the open. Despite the stone floors and walls, a gorgeous pavilion in the centre with cosy armchairs, the nippy winds of the hills, and the striking grandeur of it all, she was instantly reminded of her house's terrace in Shamli. Maybe it was because of the huge, unsheltered space, the sweeping and picturesque views on all sides, and a feeling of being snugly cocooned....wonderfully isolated from the rest of the world...

Her searching eyes stopped and widened in amazement.

Prithvi was standing some distance away, his powerful figure sheathed in a stunning black suit, black vest, electric blue shirt, and an elegant tie. Hands in the pockets of the black trousers, he was gazing at a far-off point in the valley, utterly absorbed in thought. The breeze was ruffling his luxuriant black hair.

He looked glorious.

Even in ordinary clothes, there was a daunting quality of inherent arrogance and effortless sophistication about him. In this suave attire, those attributes scaled scary new heights.

As she looked at him in wonderment, he came out of the reverie and saw her almost immediately.

He stood unmoving, gazing at her glowing flawlessness in an electrifying quietness. His eyes contained a mysterious firestorm as they studied her from head to toe. The languorous appraisal caused stinging ripples in the region of her stomach. Her pulse went haywire.

Then his expression became gentle, and the softest of smiles spread on his striking countenance.

She smiled back, and shyly began strolling in his direction. He waited for her. Then only a couple of feet were separating them...

She melted into his embrace. Arms draped snugly around each other, they silently exulted in the passionate closeness.

After a long while, they drew back a little and gazed at each other.

"You're very competitive," Prithvi remarked thoughtfully.

"What? Why?" Nandini asked, stumped by the mysterious comment.

"I say it thrice, and you find a way to say it back fourteen hundred and thirty nine times," he brooded. "And that's not inclusive of the verbal one."

Taken aback, she stared at him, and then burst out laughing. "You actually counted?"

"Two times," Prithvi grinned unabashedly.

"And here I thought I was the crazy one," Nandini giggled, dizzy with exhilarated love.

"You're not a patch on me," he guaranteed.

She looked at him adoringly. He gazed back with captivated eyes, and ran his fingers down her velvety cheek. They stood in an enthralled stillness, unvoiced emotions flowing between them like a river of the purest gold

Then Nandini unwillingly whispered, "They're waiting."

"I know," Prithvi replied resignedly, and they reluctantly broke apart. Hands entwined, the duo strolled to the door and passed through the rooms.

They emerged from the suite in time to see Kadambari coming to a stop near the archway, a handbag on her right shoulder and a small box in her hands. Sumer Singh wasn't to be seen.

Detaching their hands furtively, Nandini muttered, "You should touch the feet of elders today and take their blessings."

"Not going to happen," he retorted serenely.

Kadambari gaped at the young couple advancing towards her. She had expected Prithvi to look dapper in the suit, and for both of them to look stunning together. But there was a dreamlike enchantment about them today.

She pulled herself together when they were at an arm's distance, and smiled at the prince.

"Wish you many many happy returns of the day, little lord," she told Prithvi warmly. "May the Gods bless you with a long and happy life. This is a humble gift for you," she said timidly, extending the box.

"Is this how your parents raised you?" Prithvi said testily, taking the proffered gift. "Don't you know you're supposed to hug me first?"

Kadambari laughed and put her chubby arms around him. Then she pulled down his head and dotingly kissed his forehead.

"That's more like it," he approved while impatiently opening the box.

Nandini had been happily watching the scene. Now she peeked into the case and saw two lovely cufflinks. Both were embossed with the name 'Prithvi'.

"They're lovely, aunty," Nandini exclaimed.

Prithvi handed the box to her and proceeded to remove the diamond-encrusted platinum cufflinks from his shirt, and inserted the gold ones in their place to Kadambari's delight.

"My lord."

Prithvi glanced at a nearing Sumer Singh. The older man had a disgruntled look, indicating he had witnessed the substitution.

"His Highness Uday Singh is waiting for you at the temple, my lord," Sumer Singh said respectfully. "He woke up early, and felt it would save time if -"

"I'll help you save time too," Prithvi interrupted astutely. "He wanted to make sure I didn't cancel the plan."

"No, my lord, he – okay, maybe he...Nandini, you can give me those. I'll keep them safely," Sumer Singh said quickly.

Hiding a smile, Nandini handed the case that now held the replaced cufflinks to him.

"When will we be back?" Prithvi asked Sumer Singh as all of them proceeded to the ground floor.

"About two hours, my lord."

"My child will be so hungry by the time we return," Kadambari fretted. "I don't understand why we have to go to the shrine on an empty stomach."

"It's a family custom," Sumer Singh said woodenly.

"Another meaningless one," Kadambari pronounced.

Nandini worriedly looked at both.

"We're going to a temple," Prithvi said nonchalantly. "Don't make it so easy for me."

The veiled threat worked like magic, and no more comments were made aloud.

Nandini looked at the warring parties. While she didn't like the method, it was undeniably effective. Her gaze met Prithvi's. He grinned naughtily. Nandini tried to look stern but couldn't pull it off. She grinned back at him.

***************************

Strapped into the seat next to the rash driver, Nandini frantically begged, "Slow down, slow down."

"No," Prithvi refused as the car hurtled madly on an unpaved road. "The faster we reach, the earlier we can return. Baba, how much further?"

"Less than three kilometres," Sumer Singh said feebly from the seat in the back. His reply was barely heard above the prayers being recited by Kadambari.

"We're almost there, Prithvi. You can reduce the speed," Nandini said optimistically.

"That is a reason for increasing the speed, not lessening it," he retorted.

Nandini groaned and covered her eyes.

Two ultra luxury cars with professional drivers had been waiting for them when they had stepped out of the palace. But Prithvi had dismissed the need for chauffeurs, guards and the second car. She'd been stuffed into the passenger seat without much ado. Sumer Singh and Kadambari had been browbeaten into occupying the backseat despite their vociferous protests that it was an unacceptable arrangement for numerous reasons.

The sole victory for the hapless passengers was that Prithvi had grudgingly fastened his seatbelt after being nagged by all of them. Then the luxury car had shot off and commenced its perilous journey.

She had a dim notion that they had passed via very scenic locales. It was difficult to say for sure because her eyes had been shut almost throughout the journey.

The vehicle was slowing. Was it possible they were going to reach the destination in one piece after all...

Nandini peeked between her fingers, and nearly hooted with joy. They were fast approaching the foot of a hill, and she could see the base of a broad flight of steps that had been cut out of the rock. A gleaming car and two jeeps were parked nearby. A group of guards was standing beside palanquins.

The car came to a stop close to the bottom of the stairs. Sumer Singh and Kadambari staggered out of the vehicle with ashen and grateful faces. Nandini took a second to get her bearings, and then turned in her seat to glare at the unrepentant driver.

"We should get down," Prithvi recommended gravely. "People will think we are making out."

Aghast, Nandini removed the seatbelt and rapidly climbed out of the car. She squinted in the bright light while closing the door. The sky was mostly clear, with just a feeble scattering of black clouds. The weather was hot and humid. The sun appeared to be seeking vengeance for the days it had been kept captive.

She nervously inspected the surroundings.

The hill had a gentle slope. The stairs curled around the hillside, and were lost from sight after they turned a bend. There were several tiny shops nearby. All were shut. Sumer Singh was talking to the guards, and Kadambari was gawking at the hill's peak. There were no other visitors in sight.

Nandini looked at the four elegant palanquins with umbrella-like coverings on top. They had attractive cushioned seats and looked comfortable.

"Choti maa, Baba, Nandini - Sit on those things," Prithvi commanded casually, walking away from the car.

Nandini turned and frowned at him, while Kadambari nodded and unquestioningly walked to one of the palanquins.

"My lord, I don't need to be carried," Sumer Singh objected. "I can walk up to the temple."

"You might even be able to whip out your famous cape and fly," Prithvi conceded. "But you're going to be carried."

Sumer Singh dejectedly bowed his head and moseyed away.

"I don't want a palanquin. I'm going to walk up to the temple with you," Nandini said defiantly as Prithvi halted in front her.

"We have to reach the shrine today. Not next year," Prithvi reminded.

"Make fun of me to your heart's content," she said coolly. "I'll change my mind only if you also sit on -."

"Not unless I need to attend my own cremation," Prithvi said derisively.

"Don't talk like that!" Nandini snapped.

Ensconced in the palanquin, Kadambari had been watching the hushed interaction between the youngsters. Discerning the cause, she loudly said, "Nandini, listen to him. It's for your own good."

"I really want to climb on foot, aunty," Nandini answered apprehensively.

"I'm not going to carry you when you pretend to faint halfway up the stairs," Prithvi warned.

"I'm not going to – I'm walking! That's final," she declared adamantly.

"Do as you please," Prithvi shrugged, and indicated to the guards to get going with the two palanquins. He watched narrowly as eight hefty men skilfully did the needful. A few guards remained behind.

He looked at her sardonically. "Ready to start repenting your decision?"

Chin up, she began striding to the stairs. He grinned and walked by her side.

Nandini managed to ascend a considerable number of steps before the strain started to show. Her breathing was becoming laboured, the complaints of her leg muscles were growing louder, and tiny drops of perspiration were trickling down her temple.

She glanced at Prithvi. He was walking at her pace. There were tiny beads of sweat on his forehead because of the heat. However, no other signs of exertion showed on his face or in his breathing. He was implausibly relaxed, as if strolling in the gardens of the palace, she noted grouchily.

Breathless, Nandini stopped and looked at the magnificent structure that was drawing closer. A concrete wall hid the main part of the shrine, but the marvellous splendour of its tower had been visible for a while.

"You don't have to beg," Prithvi sighed, moving towards her. "I'll carry you the rest of the way."

"No, no, don't," she yelped, laughing as she swatted his hands away. "I just needed to catch my breath."

"Damn," he grinned.

Nandini giggled and resumed the climb, feeling revitalized by the tiny but sweet interlude.

There had been little breeze until then, but the wind was picking up. The presence of black clouds in the sky was increasing. The picturesque views of the surrounding countryside also helped, and before she knew it, there were only about a dozen steps left.

But she couldn't rejoice because the grimness on Prithvi's countenance was escalating. The burden of guilt on her shoulders rose in tandem.

His grumpiness was justified. He was being forced to do something he disliked, and that too on his birthday. But Uday Singh's entreaty for a chance to witness the continuation of at least one family tradition had been so heartfelt that she couldn't have refused to help. Major changes, however, had been made to the original plan, and Uday Singh had benevolently accepted all her requests in that regard.

Her thoughts about the day that lay ahead were interrupted by the realisation that they were almost at the summit. Three more steps and they were finally at the top.

Breathing hard but feeling victorious, Nandini scanned the sprawling expanse of fairly flat rock. The shrine was in the centre, and there was substantial barren area around it. She spotted a throne chair near the temple's gate, and several guards and three palanquins at a distance. Uday Singh, Sumer Singh and Kadambari were smilingly hurrying to them.

Uday Singh stepped forward to embrace his great-nephew, and extended birthday wishes in a shaky voice.

Then grasping Prithvi's shoulders, he hoarsely said, "No one in this family has been happy for the longest time. But the streak of misfortune will break with you. You will know a life of joy and contentment. And you will return glory to this family."

Prithvi stared at him warily. "You really should give up drugs now."

Uday Singh chuckled and wiped his eyes. "Sorry. I got carried away." He looked at Nandini and admiringly said, "My heart soars at the sight of you. Prithvi, you're lucky I'm too old to make a play for her," he winked, making Nandini blush.

Prithvi pleasantly said, "No, you're lucky you're too old. Now let's discuss your gift."

"I hear you weren't impressed," Uday Singh cackled.

"A closet full of suits. I almost cried with happiness," Prithvi said tonelessly.

"Prithvi, don't be rude," Nandini castigated in a mutter, while Sumer Singh earnestly defended, "My lord, they're amongst the finest suits in the world. And each one of them is - "

"No, no, he's right to be miffed. The suits were more for my happiness than his," Uday Singh confessed with a loud laugh. "Prithvi, I think you'll be more pleased with the next gift. You'll see it after we return to the palace. Come, let's go in now."

Uday Singh was already barefoot. The rest also took off their footwear outside the temple, and entered its compound.

The beautiful temple was carved out of solid black rock, and it was decorated splendidly with flowers.

A middle-aged man whose appearance indicated that he was the priest had been waiting for them. Happiness abounded on his face as he deferentially greeted Prithvi. Then he offered cordial Namastes to the others. Nandini returned the greeting graciously. Near them was a large brass vessel filled with water that had rose petals floating in it, and a smaller vessel to scoop up the water.

Sumer Singh poured out water for Prithvi to wash his hands and feet, and then did the same for Nandini. She thanked him amiably, then looked at Prithvi for the latest update on his mood.

The infuriation on his face was mounting, then it unexpectedly turned to confusion as he looked at something over everyone's heads.

She followed his gaze, and saw an old man standing near a stone pillar on the left side of the shrine.

A very old man clad in dull brown clothes, holding a stout stick in one hand....a ragged cotton bag on a bony shoulder...radiance on his wrinkled face and profound compassion in his eyes and smile...

Nandini looked at Prithvi. He glanced at her, and his eyes contained the same shock she was reeling under.

The motley group around them had been perplexedly monitoring the developments.

"He was this temple's priest for over forty years, your highness," the chief priest said in a low voice. "Then he gave up everything and took to wandering around the country. But he comes here twice or thrice a year. He is a great saint."

"The nonsense people believe in," Uday Singh said scornfully. He had not even noticed the allegedly illustrious person until now.

Prithvi strode ahead, and everyone parted to give him way. Nandini dazedly trailed him.

"They're going to meet him?" Uday Singh asked, baffled. "Why? Do they know him, Sumer?"

"I don't know, your highness," Sumer Singh said, equally mystified. "But I think it would be best if we go inside and give Prithvi the space and freedom to do as he wishes. We have to let him enter the shrine when he wants to," he suggested, and Kadambari nodded in agreement. "He doesn't visit temples generally. And he hates it when people crowd around him and -"

"Yes, yes, Nandini had mentioned those things," Uday Singh said meditatively. "Alright. We'll go inside. No one will look in Prithvi's direction till he nears the sanctum. Panditji...I hope you remember..."

"The rituals will be simple and kept to the minimum, your highness," the priest confirmed.

***********************

The young couple stopped in front of the ascetic.

"You were in Shamli," Prithvi said abruptly.

"I'm a wanderer," the old man answered lightly, then added, "It's good you came, child. Your father would have been pleased to see you in this shrine. He had come here twenty years ago, ecstatic at his son's birth," the ascetic reminisced. "He sat in front of the Goddess, expressing his gratitude for the safe delivery and praying for the protection and wellbeing of his wife and newborn son. He planned to return with both but destiny had other plans."

Stupefied, Nandini looked at the immobile figure beside her. Her heart wrenched at the bewildered distress on Prithvi's features. The glimpse into his mind, however, was short-lived. The stark emotions disappeared from his visage within seconds, leaving a vexed and troubled look.

The old man looked at Nandini. "You made the right decision. Your presence is important," he said enigmatically

Tremendously moved by the words, she moved forward and touched his feet. He kept his hand on her head, and she felt peaceful as she straightened.

The saint looked gently at Prithvi. "Go on. She has been waiting for you since two decades."

Prithvi looked at him impassively, then turned and walked to the short flight of steps that led to the hall of the temple. Nandini offered the ascetic a reverential Namaste and hastened towards Prithvi. She joined him at the foot of the stairs, and waited for him to ascend. But he remained anchored to the spot, his features displaying a mix of confusion, annoyance and discontent.

In the shrine, the group of people had split into two. Uday Singh and Sumer Singh were standing on the right. Kadambari was standing rigidly on the left. The priest was busy checking the lamps in front of the idol. All of them were tenaciously taking care to avoid looking at Prithvi.

She inched nearer and touched his hand. He looked at her with slight surprise. Then he nodded brusquely in answer to her softly encouraging gaze, and together, they walked up the steps and stepped into the shrine.

Nandini gazed at the mesmerising idol of the fierce Goddess deep within the sanctum sanctorum as they walked across the cool floor. Complex and sacred carvings surrounded the entrance to the innermost chamber and covered the walls and pillars. Brass bells hung from the ceiling were swinging faintly because of the breeze.

As they walked past the havan kund, the four people who'd been waiting for them turned inquisitively, and sent carefully casual smiles their way. Uday Singh affectionately signalled to both of them to cross the threshold and stand inside the sanctum sanctorum.

Nandini began to drift to a side, intending to stand with Kadambari. Prithvi paused momentarily to glance at her, and the iciness of the look startled her. She hurried after him, and reluctantly entered the most sacred space in the temple.

This was wrong, Nandini fretted. She had no right to stand with him in this place. It was evidently a special privilege granted to the royal family. She was an encroacher.

But the priest seemed undisturbed by her presence. He warmly greeted both of them again.

Feeling better, Nandini stood with joined palms and gazed upon the Goddess. Tears of devotion filled her eyes. She joined her palms and bowed her head in reverence.

Forceful energy vibrated in the air. Many brass ghee lamps were lit in the chamber. Despite the strong breeze, the flames didn't flicker greatly. Red hibiscus flowers were everywhere. She could see containers of fruits and sweets. The atmosphere was heady with the fragrance of incense, camphor and flowers. It was easy to imagine she was back in Shamli, standing in the temple with her family.

The priest respectfully murmured instructions to Prithvi. Then chanting mantras in a calming voice, he deftly helped the prince make offerings of light, incense, flowers, fruits and sweets.

Nandini observed cautiously, mentally prepared to jump in any moment to protect the priest and engage in damage control. However, to her astonishment, Prithvi silently followed every instruction. His manner was indifferent. But it wasn't disrespectful. And for that, she was grateful. She allowed herself to focus on the worship, and prayed single-mindedly for his wellbeing and happiness.

At the conclusion of the short pooja, the priest performed an arti with camphor while singing a hymn in praise of the Goddess. Then he turned with the thali. Prithvi didn't move his hand over the flame. Unruffled, the priest swept the flame in the prince's direction three times, and then prepared to apply a tilak.

"Prithvi, bow your head," Nandini whispered

He looked disparagingly at her, but did as she had asked. The priest carefully applied the red tilak on his fair forehead, and placed a hand on his head in blessing. Then he extended the thali towards Nandini. She moved her hands over the flame and placed them on her face. A much smaller tilak was dabbed on her forehead.

"Dakshina," Nandini mouthed discreetly to Prithvi.

With a bored expression, he took out his wallet and went on to place a large denomination note on the thali. The emotional priest took the note and pressed it to his eyes.

Prithvi spun and walked out of the chamber. The priest followed, holding out the thali to the three people waiting in the hall. Nandini gazed at the beautiful deity for few more seconds, then she too turned and re-entered the hall.

Uday Singh, Kadambari and Sumer Singh were standing around the light of their lives with beaming faces. The said light, in turn, was staring gloomily at the havan kund. The priest was scrutinising items for the homa. The ascetic was sitting in a corner, leaning against a pillar.

Nandini was walking towards them when she heard Prithvi sullenly asking Sumer Singh, "How long will this take?"

"An hour at the most, my lord," Sumer Singh reassured.

Prithvi fastened an irritated look on the girl approaching him.

Nandini felt her stress levels shoot up. He was going to kill her later...

"The havan is not necessary."

At the calm pronouncement, everyone's eyes swung unanimously to the ascetic.

"It's not? So, I can leave?" Prithvi asked enthusiastically.

"Circumambulate the temple once. That will suffice," the old man replied.

"What – wait! What's happening?" Uday Singh spluttered. "How can you decide that?"

"Don't argue with him," Prithvi said indignantly. "He's a saint! Show some respect."

The ascetic smiled at him, and then looked at Nandini. "You must do it as well."

Nandini wavered in confusion, flummoxed by the twist in the tale.

Disinclined to wait, Prithvi caught her by the hand and determinedly led her out of the shrine before she realised what was going on.

Uday Singh turned on the ascetic in rage. "You ***** beggar! Why did you interfere? Who asked for your useless opinion?"

The temple's priest haplessly pleaded, "Your highness, he is a true sage. He never speaks superfluously."

"Don't speak out of turn," Uday Singh raged at him.

The main target of Uday Singh's fury rose to his feet with supreme composure, holding his bag close. Regarding Uday Singh sympathetically, the man said, "Don't be afraid. The bloodline will not die out. It will thrive and flourish."

He turned to the Goddess and prayed. Then he quietly walked out of the temple.

**************************

"Leave my hand," Nandini demanded angrily, fighting against the hard grip on her wrist. "How could you do that? How could you hold my hand in front of all those people! What must they be thinking of me?" she wailed as Prithvi speedily circumumbulated the temple, lugging her along carelessly.

"That you are a prime example of today's shameless young generation," he replied unconcernedly.

"This is not a laughing matter," she chided, then heatedly said, "Can you at least stop for a minute! I want to look at these carvings."

"You can gawk at them the whole day next time since I will not be joining you," he rejoined irately.

"There won't be a next time," Nandini remonstrated. "I'm leaving tomorrow."

Prithvi stopped and swivelled in shock, and for an instant, looked so crestfallen that she felt ill with guilt. Then he released her hand abruptly and turned to walk ahead alone.

She hurried to him, and anxiously said, "I didn't mean to upset you."

"You didn't," he said flatly.

Worriedly perceiving it would be best to avoid the dismal subject, Nandini struggled and failed to decide what to say next. Then they turned around the fourth corner and saw the ascetic ambling past the gate.

"He's leaving?" Nandini said, disappointed.

"You wanted to adopt him?" Prithvi mocked as they strolled to the steps leading to the hall, but his eyes too were on the departing figure.

"No, I just thought...we didn't give him anything," Nandini said remorsefully. "He didn't even have an umbrella. And he's so old and frail. How will he walk down those steps?" she mulled uneasily.

He had been gazing at her softly, and now found himself muttering, "He looks frail. He's not." When she looked at him in surprise, he glanced away. The assertion had confounded him as well. However, he knew it to be true for reasons he couldn't specify. "I'll tell the guards to carry him down," he added tersely, proceeding to the gate.

She smiled thankfully at his back, then hastily said, "Wait! I think he dropped something on the way out."

Prithvi turned to see Nandini surging to pick up a crinkled piece of cloth lying near the bottommost step. It had not been there some time ago. She was probably right about it belonging to the old man.

She lifted the yellowed material, and instantly froze.

With a furrowed brow, he strode to her and took the cloth from her limp fingers. It was not much bigger than a handkerchief. Childishly embroidered multi-coloured letters brightened the middle portion.

They spelled out Prithviraj.

**************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

300K 36.4K 73
✦ ᴄᴀɴ ʙᴇ ʀᴇᴀᴅ ᴀs ɢᴇɴᴇʀᴀʟ.ғɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ✦ - 𝖒𝖆𝖓𝖎𝖐 𝖝 𝖆𝖓𝖆𝖍𝖎𝖙𝖆 𝖝 𝖓𝖆𝖓𝖉𝖎𝖓𝖎 - --- ♡ --- "𝘔𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘥 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧...
298K 19.1K 46
An Indian arranged marriage love story. Like my first one this one has a new challenge. This girl here is different. Another gleaming image of confi...
203K 13.3K 41
His Peaceful life turned chaotic the day she stepped into his life. She is hiding so many secrets which can be dangerous for his clan and He will nev...
53.3K 3.6K 37
𝘜𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘥𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘭 𝘤𝘳𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘢 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘪𝘯...