Black Butler: Demons in our H...

By shadowquill

Its London and young women are disapearing off the streets, what happens when an oddball assassin is targeted... More

Black Butler: Demons in our Hearts
Chapter 2: Matters of Pride
Chapter 3: A New Assignment
Chapter 4: Of Demons and Lies
Chapter 5: Skill Test
Chapter 6: What Happened Before the Rain
Chapter 7: Rainy Day
Chapter 8: Kat, Sick!
Chapter 9: Before the Investigation
Chapter 10: During the Investigation
Chapter 11:A reason for Tears
Chapter 12: Invitation to a Ball
Chapter 13: A Challenge
Chapter 14: A Promise
Chapter 15: A Choice is Made...to go on "Holiday"
Chapter 16: Poveglia Island
Chapter 17: The Dark Presence
Chapter 18: Another Challenge Looms...
Chapter 19: Dance to the Rythm of the Night
Chapter 20: Culprit Found!
Special #2: Bad Lemonade
Chapter 21: Consequences of a Lost Battle
Chapter 22: Of Selfish and Cute things...
Chapter 23: Visitor
Chapter 24: Why A Rhose Should Be Feared
Chapter 25: I Will Be There
Chapter 26: Calm Before The Storm
Chapter 27: Murphey's Law
Special #3: A Day At The Lake
Chapter 28: Stuck between a Wall and Something Inhuman
Chapter 29: "Say it Louder, Amico Mio...."
Chapter 30: That Butler, Is an Utter Fool...
Chapter 31: Game Start
Chapter 32: A Revelation...Finally...
Chapter 33: The Last Dance
Chapter 34: Fires of Destruction
Chapter 35: A Lady In Red
Chapter 36: No One But You...
Epilogue: That Butler....Happily Ever After...
Rhose's Special: Part 1
Rhose's Special: Part 2
Rhose's Special: Part 3
Rhose's Special: Finale
Preview: D. Gray Man: Where We Meet Once More
Special: Halloween One Shot
Kat's Song: Full Version (Return To Me)

Special: Christmas at The Phantomhive Estate

21.8K 706 257
By shadowquill

Kat polished the dark wood of the stairs with fervor, it was almost Christmas and for some reason the other servants were getting more and more excited about it. I don’t know what so special about Christmas, it’s just a day like any other isn’t it?

“Kat would you please run to town and buy these supplies? I’ve been running a bit behind and could get some of those things done while you run the errands.” Sebastian handed Kat a list as he came into the foyer, a tired, exhausted look about him.

He looks rough, “Sure, I can do it, is there anything else?”

Massaging the bridge of his nose Sebastian sighed, “I think the only other thing is to get Miss Elizabeth her Christmas present from the Earl, do you believe you can find something suitable?”

Kat blinked, “Christmas present?”

“Yes, yes, the gifts people give to their ‘dear ones’ on Christmas. Now stop being silly and go, I hate to be short with you but I have no time for this, there is only a week until Christmas and there is much to do.” He shooed her towards the door like an errant sheep, “Now I believe she prefers pink to any other color, and just tell the shops to put everything on the tab, I’m not bothering with giving you pocket money right now.”

There was a loud boom from the kitchen, and Sebastian froze, the fake happy smile he wore when he was upset slid onto his face, “If you will excuse me.” Poor Baldroy, I wish he could learn to cook; it would be helpful as he is the chef.

_______________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________

Now Sebastian said to find something for Lizzie, a Christmas present. What on earth do I get her? Kat stopped in the busy London street and looked at all the brightly decorated shops, full of candles and treats.He said they were gifts to dear ones, so maybe, that means they are gifts we get them because we want to show we care? And if I would want to show Lizzie I cared I would get her…

Kat glanced about her eyes finally lighting on a quaint little shop at the end of the street, with little china dolls smiling at her from the window. I think she would like one of those.

Before she knew it her feet were moving and there was a bell ringing as she opened the door, a wave of ladies perfume hittingher as she entered. There were rows on rows of the fake infants string back at her, dressed in silks and laces. Kat bit her lip, which one? They all looked basically the same to her, so which one would Lizzie like the best?

“Hello, Miss? Would you like a doll?” Kat looked up into the eyes of a round old woman with sparkling brown eyes. “Yes, ma’am I would, it’s for a friend.”

“Ah, I see.” She stepped closer, “Well, come here dearie let’s find a doll your friend will like and if you don’t mind perhaps you could spend a little time with a lonely old woman, share a cup of tea maybe?”

___________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________

Martha sipped her tea quietly Kat had noticed she wasn’t much of a talker, she seemed to be more happy that someone was with her than anything else. “Why do you live by yourself?” As soon as the words left her mouth she wished she could take them back, a pained look fell over Martha’s face.

The older woman must have noticed Kat’s distress over what her words caused, “It’s alright now, don’t worry over it, I suppose it is a bit odd for an old woman to ask a stranger to share a cup of tea, I at least should tell you why. You see my husband died last Summer and my children all live to far away to be bothered with coming to see their old Mother and I don’t bother them, they have their own lives to live.”

Kat bit her lip, she knew how Martha felt, to be lonely and yet not wanting to bother anyone to relieve that loneliness. In fact, if she hadn’t found Sebastian and the others she would probably still be like that. “Is there anything I can do to help?”

“Oh, no, it’s fine; it’s just being so close to the holidays makes me a bit lonely. Christmas is a time for family and giving, and its…it’s just hard to be in the spirit when there’s no one to share it with.” The clock on the mantle chimed, “Oh, my dear, I’ve kept you far too long, you should be going. If you ever think to stop by again, my door is always open.” She pressed the wrapped doll into Kat’s arms before ushering her out into the snow filled air, “Be careful now, it’s cold out, there might be ice on the roads!”

Waving goodbye, Kat set off down the road; Christmas is about family and giving…no…should I? Would it be too presumptuous for her to buy something for the others? She had plenty of money; it wasn’t like she spent the money the Earl paid her. But, what if they get mad at me for spending money on them? I know Sebastian hates it when the Earl buys silly things. Even if the Earl does it just to make Sebastian crazy…

The snow crunched under her feet with every step, what if I made them? What if I made the gifts myself, would there be a problem then? I wouldn’t think so, but what to make?

_____________________________________________________________

Kat stared down at the assorted materials in front of her, she had decided after all to make her gifts instead of buying them. She did however buy some of the materials; she’d had to make a special run to town the night after she had met Martha, to get what she needed.

She’d bought metal wire, strips of leather, a short bolt of cloth, needles, thread, a set of carving knives, and a few other odds and ends that she thought might come in handy.

Meyrin said Christmas was only a few days away so I’d best get started. During her shopping trip she had thought ahead a bit, she was going to make Meyrin a hairband. Kat took the thin metal wire and began twisting it, complex spirals, and designs began to form. She would do this to three strands of the wire connecting each piece to the last. At least that’s the plan; she thought as she worked, I haven’t really given the gifts for anyone else a thought. For Baldroy I can probably use the cloth to make him a pair of slippers, he’s been complaining about his feet hurting lately….hmmm, Vinny is easy, I’ll make him a pair of gloves, and reinforce them with the leather strips. But…the Earl and Sebastian…what to make for them?

She wound the last spiral on the head band and held it up to the light to inspect it, perfect.

_______________________________________________________________________

“Sebastian? What are you doing?” Kat peaked around the side of the manor, the tall butler was bent almost double, toying with something on the ground, he glanced back at her at the sound of her voice. “Ah, Kat…its nothing.” He stepped to the side, cutting of her view of whatever lay at his feet.

Mew, a tiny black and white head poked around from behind Sebastian’s shoes, bright blue eyes stared up at Kat, mew, said the little kitten. It took a few experimental steps forward before falling into a particularly deep spot in the snow.

The butler pulled the little creature out of its cold entrapment and cuddled it to his chest, “There, there now, it’s too cold to be wandering about like that.” He frowned at Kat, “I hope you won’t tell, the Earl he is not fond of cats and would make me abandon him, as you can see, he is a touch too small to be on his own.”

Kat held her hands out and he placed the little bundle in her arms. Curling up in the crook of her elbow he yawned and started to purr, “Where’s his mama?”

Sebastian scratched the kitten’s ears, “I have not been able to locate her, and it’s been over a week since I found the little fellow. I believe he is alone, now.”

That’s so sad, and it being so close to the holidays, he must be lonely…wait a minute, that’s it! “Sebastian, would you mind if I found him a home? I know the perfect place.”Sebastian frowned slightly, still scratching the kitten’s ear, “I believe that would be alright, he would only be an outside cat here at the most, and that’s if Pluto didn’t eat him. I really wish the Earl would keep cats…but then again he is allergic.” A wistful look passed over his face for a moment, “Well, never mind, do what you will, I should finish preparing lunch.”

_________________________________________________________________________

The day before Christmas Eve

Kat righted herself as she nearly fell on her rear, her foot had hit a slick spot hidden under the slush and nearly sent her sprawling. Her fury charge poked his head out of the basket and mewed his thoughts on her rough treatment.

“I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to slip on the ice.” The kitten mewed again but pulled his head back into the blanket packed basket. “That’s right, you little rascal, back in there with you, you don’t want to freeze that little cute nose of yours off.”

He mewed from inside the basket but didn’t poke his head back out, smart little guy. He really was amusing to watch, it was even funnier watching him with Sebastian, the tall butler would drag a string around the kitchen for him to chase, and nearly run into the wall watching the kitten play. It really is too bad that Sebastian can’t have a cat; the Earl is allergic to them so he can’t even really have an outside cat.

She did feel bad that she was taking the kitten away from Sebastian, but. He could keep the kitten anyway and there was someone else who needed the company a little more. Making her way up the last few steps to the door, Kat knocked on the door to the little home.

Martha opened it on the second knock surprise written across her face, “Miss Kat, whatever are you doing here? It’s so close to the holidays, you should be home with your family.”

“I know, I just was thinking about what you said the other day and well… Here” Kat held up the basket. Taking it the old woman opened the lid and gasped, “Oh, Kat, he’s precious!” She reached in to pull the little bundle out, “Oh, my, isn’t he just the cutest little thing.”

The kitten mewed and struggled out of her grip to race up her arm and cuddle beside her neck like a little furry scarf. She reached up to pet him, a smile on her face, “Oh, Kat, you didn’t have to do this, and…I don’t have anything for you.”

“You told me though that Christmas is the time for giving right, not receiving. You liking him and giving him a good home is the best thing you could give me.” She smiled brightly, truly happy with herself.

“Oh…” Tears appeared at the corners of the older woman’s eyes, she pulled Kat into a fierce hug, ignoring her new companion’s mews of disdain over being roosted from his shoulder perch. “You are too much; would you like to come in for tea at least? I’d like to give you something in return for what you’ve done.”

Kat shook her head, she still had plenty to do, she had to finish the Earls and Sebastian’s presents yet today, “No ma’am I just wanted to make sure you got your gift before Christmas.”

Martha pulled her into another hug before seeing her off with a hearty wave, the laughter that Kat heard coming from the previously lonely woman made Kat smile, Christmas really was a beautiful time of year.

But what to make for Sebastian and the Earl? She glanced in the lit shop windows as she made her way back towards the road that led to the manor, hoping for something to give her inspiration. I can’t think of anything they would like, all the Earl does is work and all Sebastian does it work, and what they need for work they already have.

She would get them something to help them relax but…she really didn’t know much about them otherwise. She knew that Sebastian liked cats and the Earl…liked to play a game…that’s it! I know what I’ll do now; I’ll make him a chess set! That will be perfect! And for Sebastian…Kat stopped in the middle of the street, jostled by several people as they made their way to finish their shopping. I still don’t know what to do for Sebastian, he likes cats but I can’t give him a cat,she glanced over to the side surprised when tiny black button eyes stared back at her, it was a window display of stuffed bears and other animals. That’s it! I know what I’ll do!

_______________________________________________________________

Sebastian bit his lip to keep from swearing the sky blue. It was the day of Christmas and all the servants were acting their most idiotic. They had already given their gifts to each other and the Earl, not surprisingly he hadn’t received a thing, for which I’m grateful, he reminded himself, I have no need for silly human traditions.

He smeared the last few wrinkles out of the icing on the Christmas cake, regardless if he was supposed to have the day off, a gift from the Earl; he was still a butler and had a duty to do.

“Sebastian, ‘ave you seen Kat? We’ve been lookin’ everywhere we ‘ave and we ‘aven’t been able to find ‘er.” Meyrin poked her head in the kitchen, a sprig of holly adorning her maid’s cap. “We want to see if she got anything for Christmas. We forgot to get ‘er something and were worried she didn’t get anything.”

She blinked at him from behind her spectacles, “Did you get ‘er anything Sebastian?”

“No.” A twinkle at her throat caught his eye, “Where did you get that necklace?”

“Well, it was a gift. I woke up this mornin’ and it was layin’ on me pillow.” She saluted smartly before turning, “”ave a ‘appy ‘’oliday.And remember to wish Kat a Merry Christmas if you see ‘er!”

Why on Earth would I wish her a Merry Christmas? I don’t even like the holiday. But…I am curious, where is Kat? Come to think of it he hadn’t seen her at all really for the past few days, and she had been practically nonexistent yesterday. She’d been there whenever he needed her but otherwise was nowhere to be found.

The bell rang on the wall, signaling the Earl’s need for his presence. It appeared the mystery that was Kat would have to wait. Picking up his serving tray Sebastian went to find the Earl in his rooms, a chess set in front of him. “What is this?” He gestured to the game.

“Sir?” Is the house going mad? The Young Master has always played chess, why is he…is that…Sebastian picked up the black Queen; Lizzie’s face staring back up at him in detail. He studied the other pieces; someone made the household into a chess board.

The Earl was the King, Lizzie the Queen, Baldroy the Rook, Meyrin the Bishop, Vinnie and Tanka took turns kneeling as Pawns and he himself was the Knight. Each piece was carved in painstaking detail, so much so that they appeared to be able to walk right off the board. “My Lord, I did not do this.”

Ciel frowned, “Then who did? I know none of those fools could afford such a thing, it must have cost a good amount of money.”

Sebastian was silent for a moment, what if someone didn’t but it though, and made it instead? “My Lord, I believe I know who the culprit may be, but with your permission I would like to validate my suspicions before voicing them. If I may?”

“Fine then, I don’t really care anyway.”

Rubbish, “Yes, sir.” He bowed and took his leave, heading back towards the kitchen, the most likely place for Kat to be now. True she hadn’t been there when he had left but she usually made the Earl his snack and it was now fairly close to the time she would begin preparations.

He pushed the door open, finding it empty the room exactly the same as he had left it except for a basket that lay on the center of the table. What on Earth? I didn’t order any meats or anything for today, what could it be?

Sebastian lifted the lid to find a box inside the basket, a note attached to the top.

Dear Sebastian,

I know it’s kind of late to be giving gifts today, but I just finished it. The basketgoes with the gift and the Earl’s snack is in the pantry beside the stove if you are wondering.

-Kat

She got me a gift? Humans could be so silly about such things, but…it wouldn’t be too bad if he looked would it? Undoing the red bow that held the box shut he opened it, revealing a cat peacefully snoozing in the center of the box on top of plaid cushion. Only after he lifted it out of the box did he realize it wasn’t a real cat, a very clever fake that flexed as a cat would with soft white fur and golden marble eyes.

Carefully he laid the cat in the basket Kat had provided, curling it in around itself, sitting it by the fire it really did look like a flesh and blood cat. It must have taken her forever to make this. Taking a seat by the fire he squeezed a paw, even the paws feel real. You would never be able to tell that they’re leather and not skin. He ran his hand over its side, it even feels like it has bones…I would swear this is a real cat, but there is no heart beat and it doesn’t stink like it would if it was dead. How on earth did she do it?

The door to the kitchen clicked as someone opened the door, Kat slid in, not noticing Sebastian by the hearth, preoccupied by whatever was on her mind. Studying her features, the butler could see the lines under eyes and from the smell of things she had cut her hands quite a few times. “You made the gifts didn’t you?”

Kat jumped nearly spilling the glass of milk she had been pouring, “Sebastian! What are you doing over there?”He didn’t miss the way she blushed and changed the subject.

He stood dusting off his knees, “I was inspecting a gift I had received. It appears there have been a few presents today that have just appeared from nowhere. Would you have any idea where they may have come from?”

She gulped audibly, “I...well you see….yes.” Her head drooped, “I made them, I’m sorry if you don’t like it, I just-”

Not like it is she mad? “I didn’t say I didn’t like it, I was just curious if it was you or not, I would not guess someone of your…skill set would also be a craftsman. How did you make it by the way, it feels and looks like a real cat.”

“It was simple; remember the book I borrowed from the library about animal anatomy?” He nodded; she had been in the library early yesterday morning. “Well, I carve the bone system out of wood and fitted the joints with string pulleys and the rest together with wood glue. After that I used the leather to make up the major muscles and things. After that I stuffed cotton from an old pillow you had thrown away into it. And after that I just sewed a layer of leather over that, using Pluto’s dog hair to make the cats fur.”

And she calls that simple…”Why would you go through that much trouble?”

“I wanted to make you something you liked and would use. I know you liked cats and couldn’t keep one because of the Earl, so I decided to make you a cat you could keep with you and that wouldn’t ever die. I thought it would help you relax some.”

She continues to surprise me, he sighed, “Then I suppose I will have to find something for you.”

“No, no, that won’t be necessary, I don’t need anything.”

If that isn’t just like her…actually I have an idea, its human and not really apealing to me, but she should enjoy it…”Rubbish, now in two hours meet me outside, make sure to dress warmly.”

_______________________________________________________________________

Kat bundled the coat Meyrin had loaned her even tighter around her, how she hated the cold. She could deal with it yes, but she hated it. Why Sebastian felt he had to give her something in return for her Christmas gift to him she didn’t know. If I wanted something in exchange it wouldn’t be a gift it would be a transaction.

“Ah good, you are ready, come with me.” Before she could protest his sudden arrival he pulled her towards the stable where the horses pawed at the snow impatiently the bells on their harnesses jingling with every movement. He’s trying to kill me…he knows I don’t travel well in carriages, I shudder to think what it will be like in a sleigh.

Not saying a word though she stepped up into the sleigh beside him, grateful for the heavy quilt he spread over her legs. He clucked to the horses and they began moving, oh lord here we go. Kat waited for the feeling in her stomach, the flip flop feeling that always happened when she was in a horse drawn vehicle. But it was noticeable absent.

“Your stomach is not bothering you I hope.” Sebastian switched the reins and the horses picked up the pace, pulling the sleigh through the starry night, the ice on the pond sparkling like a mirror.

“No, I’m fine. Where are you taking me?”

He glanced over at her his red eyes twinkling with mischief, “I’m not telling it’s a surprise.”

Kat pouted, “Well that’s no fair.”

“Its not meant to be now watch the scenery please, I have to watch for our exit.” The matched team of horses neighed, their breath foggy clouds as they trudged through the white snow jingling all the way. Fine, he wants me to be quiet I’ll be quiet.

As promised Kat kept her tongue throughout the rest of the trip, marveling quietly at the moonlit splendor that showed itself only after the sun had left the sky. Its so pretty right now, she shivered, but its so cold. She snuggled closer to Sebastian, that’s a little better.

“Are you still cold?”

“Maybe, but I’ll be alright.” If we get there soon, I hate the cold and the cold definitely doesn’t like me.

“You will be, hmm? Well, if you would be or not doesn’t matter, we’re here.” He stopped the sleigh in the center of a snow covered clearing, a row of pine trees grew around a iced over pond, the only decoration to the barren scene.

Stepping down Sebastian reached behind the seat for something, he handed her a pair of skates, “Here, put these on, I will be right back.”

What? Obediently she strapped the skates on, I hope he knows I’ve only skated a little. This could…oh my…Little lights appeared in the pine trees that lined the edge of the pond, brightening the dim atmosphere.

Slowly a light blinked in every branch on the trees and Sebastian returned a pair of skates already on, “May I?”

Before she could think better of it Kat took his hand, letting him lead her out onto the ice. He looked down at her, “Now, I hope you understand what kind of threats it took to convince the others not to burn down the house while I brought you here to get away, so make sure to enjoy yourself.”

Kat hesitated briefly before twirling on spot, “I don’t think that will be a problem.”

Sebastian smiled, “Good, Merry Christmas by the way.”

________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for not posting, I've been really busy! But here is the Christmas Special, the Next Post will be Chapter 19 and should be posted either Thursday or Friday. Let me know what you think of the short, I plan on writing a few others, one even involving Kat and Tanaka's "Lemonade" so let me know what you think and thanks ever so much for reading! Chapter 19 Overview: Another ball and Kat is the mysterious woman who has taken the London society by storm, what happens when she eats Shrimp Curry? When she's caught outside unawares by Sebastian? Check when I post next to fiind out!

Thanks again for reading and supporting it means a lot.

-Shadowquill

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.9K 2.3K 23
Ciel Phantomhive is called to solve the case involving a series of killings that mirror gruesome fairy tales. But finding the killer may take more as...
2.9K 64 10
The queen has given Ciel a task that he can't refuse for if he does it will ruin his reputation as the queens guard dog, his task is to protect her m...
41.4K 1K 30
Ciel phantomhive is ordered to retrieve a dangerous cargo from a foreign ship arriving at London for terrorist purposes what happens if the cargo is...
10K 290 45
(FanFic Rewritten) Ciel lost his parents in a fire, or so he thought...he was later kidnapped and tortured til he summoned a what seemed like a Raven...