The One That Got Away

By HelloHandsome

Jamison "Jamie" Durst was just another girl finally graduating from high school. Perfect attitude, perfect gr... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

The One That Got Away

950 28 17
By HelloHandsome

I rolled my eyes at the valedictorian’s pathetic speech. He was the standard cliché: tall, scrawny, greasy, pimply. He was trying way too hard to make the other almost-graduates laugh. Notice how I said trying. I fidgeted with my recently manicured nails. My mother had thrown a fit about how I should “look nice for once in my life” since it was my graduation today. In all honesty, I thought I looked fine, but apparently my mother didn’t. So she took me to the local salon where I got plucked and painted.

            A hand patted my leg, causing me to snap my head up. It was Sarah Duncan, a recently added friend because our last names were together in the alphabet.

            “You look annoyed,” she said, her wide blue eyes circled with worry. Sarah was a very caring person I had come to find out.

            “Actually, I’m a little pissed.” I replied as I nodded my head towards the valedictorian. We were arch enemies all through high school, both battling for the top spot. After our final six weeks, our class rank was announced. Matt Ranch, number one. Jamison Durst, number two. He beat me by a hundredth of a point.

            Sarah, having heard the story numerous times since we started practicing for graduation, nodded her head in understanding. “If it makes you feel any better, I’m pretty sure everyone wanted you to be the valedictorian. You are hilarious.”

            Gratefully, I smiled. “Thanks Sarebear.” Inwardly I laughed, she hated the nickname she was given by the student body. She grimaced but said nothing.

            I decided to place my attention back on Matt, even though I didn’t like him. He was still failing miserably. I snickered. Sarah shot me a “Be nice” look, which immediately made me shut up. She was a little firecracker.

            “And with that, I turn this over to our beloved Principal, Dr. Long,” Matt finished. A roar of applause sounded, most likely because everyone was counting the seconds until that torturous speech would end.

            Dr. Long, a surprisingly tall Asian man in his mid forties, stepped up to the podium, the audience immediately quieted.

            “Friends, teachers, students, we are gathered here today to celebrate twelve years worth of achievement.” He stopped, letting his statement sink in, his authoritive voice ringing across the auditorium like the Liberty Bell. “Today is a day honoring the accomplishment of…” Dr. Long continued talking, but I had stopped listening. My attention was drawn to my parents and my older brother in the far right of the auditorium, making a fool of themselves. They were waving their arms above their heads, my brother had even taken it upon himself to do his interpretation of the chicken dance. I sent them a questioning glance, shaking my head. My parents turned to my brother and asked him what it meant. He rolled his eyes and explained, then turned back towards me tapping his phone.

            Receiving the message, I pulled my ugly read gown that clashed with my hair back and pulled my cell phone out of my jean pocket. Three unread messages. I skipped the other two and tapped on my brother’s to see what he sent me.

            We were tryin 2 get ur attention

            I hated it when people didn’t use correct grammar, even while texting. I replied.

            You got it. What’s up?

            A hand tapped my shoulder. I turned around and met the eyes of my sophomore English teacher Ms. Garcia. She gestured for me to put my phone up and I quietly obliged even though I thought it was stupid. I was almost a legal adult and technically I was already graduated from high school. She can’t force me to do things anymore.

            My phone vibrated again, but this time I waited until the teachers around me weren’t paying attention.

            We wanted 2 let u no we r so proud of u

            At that, I teared up and laughed at the same time. My family had the worst timing, but that’s why I loved them. I wiped at my eyes, making sure not to smear any mascara and hastily replied a quick “love you”.

            Sarah patted my leg reassuringly, obviously noticing my tears.

            “Now, class of 2012, it’s time for you to collect your diplomas.” Dr. Long finished. The first row of students filed into a straight line, everyone cheering.

            “We’re almost there,” Sarah whispered in my ear, a growing excitement building in the pit of my stomach. I think my mind was finally registering to the fact that I wouldn’t be here much longer.

            The room broke out into an excited whisper. The soon-to-be graduates happily awaiting for their diplomas while the parents sat anxiously with their cameras.

            Before long it was my row’s time to walk to the stage. Sarah shook my arm excitedly, I shot her a grin.

            This will be the last time I cross that stage.

            “Christopher Dumes,” Dr. Long announced, while the burly quarterback crossed the stage. He kept calling off names until it reached to Sarah.

            “Sarah Duncan.” My friend strolled across the stage, a happy smile filling her features. There was a lot of cat calls and clapping, people really loved Sarah and Sarah loved them back.

            She walked off the stage, Dr. Long cleared his throat, about to announce the next name.

            “Jamison Durst.”

            That was me.

            I walked up the old, creaky stairs toward the podium. Around me I heard claps and my family screaming at the top of their lungs, but all my eyes could focus on was that rolled up piece of paper that declared my freedom.

            This was it. This was my moment.

            Finally, I made it to Dr. Long, who handed me my diploma then proceeded to shake my right hand. He quietly wished me a good luck and I continued down the line of vice principals and counselors, shaking every one of their hands. When I made it to the end of the stage, I couldn’t control it anymore, a few tears fell down my cheek.

            I was done. I never had to come back.

            A small part of me was excited about this fact, but the other half was overwhelmed. My high school experience was over. I thought I had every right to be happy and upset at the same time.

            When I reached the bottom of the stairs, my picture was taken with my diploma and I went back to my seat where Sarah was giggling like a little girl.

            “What’s up?” I asked, it was very rare for her to be acting like this.

            “Chris just invited me to his graduation party.” From what I was told, Sarah has had a thing for the quarterback since eighth grade. Apparently it was completely obvious and I was one of the few who had no idea.

            “Oooooh,” I winked, “use protection.”

            She blushed. “Shut up! Will you go with me?”

            “Why?” I was genuinely curious, why would she want me to ruin her fun? I mean, I was definitely a party girl, but I didn’t want her to have to look after me. It was pretty well known that when there was alcohol I would be completely hammered.

            She looked away, slightly nervous, “I’m a little scared.”

            I sighed. After the ceremony I was supposed to go out to lunch with all of my family then go back to my uncle’s house where he was throwing a graduation party for me, strictly family. It wasn’t supposed to end until nine pm.

            “What time?” I asked.

            She smiled, knowing she had me. “I can pick you up a little after eleven.”

            Pondering, I weighed the pros and cons. Have a good night sleep, or make out with random hot guys. The latter won. “Okay.” I proceeded to give her my address and directions to get there.

            The rest of the ceremony dragged on, and I even found myself dozing off a couple of times. Finally though, it reached an end and I sat up, preparing to take my hat off.

            “Congratulations class of 2012, you made it!” Dr. Long said, several tears in his eyes. At least I wasn’t the only one getting emotional.

            I took my hat off and threw it in the air, watching as all the red hats fell back to the floor, mine getting lost with all the others.

            Goodbye high school.

*************************************************************

I know the graduation was a little boring, but I wanted you guys to see how she thought/felt about becoming "an adult." I promise the next chapter will be much better though ;)

What do you think? Should I continue writing?

COMMENT, VOTE, ADD TO LIBRARY, you know, all the good things!

Thanks, love ya!

-Annie 

Continue Reading