The Only One

By 3dream_writer3

*cover by nlori1234* Basketball at Lakemoat High has always been one of the biggest deals ever. If a p... More

Prologue
Chapter 2: Outcast
Chapter 3: Mad Older Brother
Chapter 4: Secrets
Chapter 5: I Can't Hide It
Chapter 6: Ex-Girlfriend vs. Wanted Girlfriend
Chapter 7: The Truth
Chapter 8: Too Each His Own
Chapter 9: A Whole New Light
Chapter 10: Winter Formal Invitation?
Chapter 11: A Dog is a Man's Best Friend
Chapter 12: Math Competition
Chapter 13: Everything is About to Change
Chapter 14: That Awkward Moment
Chapter 15: Winter Formal Dress Shopping
Chapter 16: Fear Breaking and Flirting
Chapter 17: Feelings are Revealed
Chapter 18: Family Troubles
Chapter 19: How to Avoid Your Parents
Chapter 20: My Dog, My Choice
Chapter 21: Winter Formal Preparation
Chapter 22: Winter Formal Failure
Chapter 23: A Chance to Re-Do Everyhing
Chapter 24: I Have No Words or Feelings
Chapter 25e: Surprises
Chapter 26: Not Expected... At All
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Holiday Cheers. So You Better Cheer Up
Chapter 28: Christmas Eve Wishes, Part I
Chapter 29 Christmas Eve Wishes, Part II
Chapter 30: My Life is a Lie
Christmas Story
Update

Chapter 1: The Big Game

5.9K 240 23
By 3dream_writer3

Chapter 1

Melody

Nothing in my Gym class entertained me. In fact, it did the complete opposite. It bored the crap out of me. Especially since the brand new gymnasium got completed.

"Alright, class!" the gym teacher, Coach Borris, said as he gestured for us to gather around him. I hesitantly put my sketchbook away, knowing that he wouldn't notice if I join the circle a little late.

"As you know," he said, not even waiting for me to walk over, "today is the junior and senior boys basketball championship!" The students erupted into a loud cheer, making Coach smile brightly. He continued after everything died down. "If we win, which I'm confident we will, then we will be going to Nationals in Miami! Luke, I suggest you're going to take things home this year?"

Luke Cosgrove smiled. "Oh, absolutely, Coach. In fact, I say we play a game of basketball to practice."

Coach nodded. "Fantastic idea, Luke! Okay, you and Briggs are team captains. Pick your team."

Like usual, I just went on a bench to sit down. I knew neither of them were going to pick me. I was always left out, since there was fifteen people in my class. There was no way there would ever be even teams.

I was right. Not that I even doubted it.

Coach didn't even seem to realize I wasn't picked; he never did.

I took the opportunity to continue to work on my drawing. My basic every gym class routine.

At one point, the basketball landed on the bench beside me. I picked it up just as Luke jogged over to me. "Why aren't you playing?" he asked as I handed him the ball.

"Because I didn't get picked," I replied. "Not that I care. Basketball isn't really my thing."

Luke threw the basketball back in the game and ran in. I was surprised. The very first person to ever acknowledge me in high school is Luke, the school's top jock. Even if it was a ten second conversation.

School ended early that day, due to the championship. I was hoping to get home right away and paint, or maybe make another clay model. But Matt caught up to me in the hallway. "You're watching the game today, right?" he asked.

"Do I have too?" I whined. "You never watch me paint or anything?"

Matt scrunched up his nose. "Watch you paint for an hour? Do you know how boring that would be?"

"As for me watching sweaty guys dribble a basketball," I commented, crossing my arms. My brother and I, though I love him, were very different. He was loud and athletic; I was quiet and artistic.

Matt sighed. "Come on, Mel! It's the championship!"

I shook my head. "I don't want to."

Matt stared at me for a bit. "How are you going to get home? You can't drive."

"So?" I asked.

"So," Matt smiled. "I can't take you home because I have to practice for the game right away."

I shrugged. "I'll just hang out in the art room or the library. Wait...."

"All the teachers will be at the game," Matt said, tugging on my wrist. "Now come on, Mel. You're going to watch me practice."

Without a further argument, he pulled me all the way back to the gymnasium where I just tried to escape from.

"Coach," Matt said once we walked up to him. "Can my sister sit in on today's practice?"

Coach nodded and walked away, making me glare at my older brother. "You'll thank me later," he said with a smirk.

I groaned and practically dragged my feet to the bench I was sitting on not even twenty minutes earlier.

I had to admit, the team was really good. They were co-operative, friendly to each other, and not to mention very skilled.

The cheerleader squad was practicing in the gym was well, encouraging the basketball team to do their best. Annie Hudson, the head cheerleader, would often smile at Luke. They were dating, of course. I mean, what school wouldn't have the head cheerleader date the top jock?

It wasn't long before the game started. Robinson High showed up, looking like their usual snotty selves. I swear every single student was required to take an Attitude 101 class, judging on the looks they gave everyone.

I rolled my eyes and went on the bleachers, knowing that I would have probably gotten hit with a basketball if I stayed on the bench.

The first five minutes of the game bored me to death. I grabbed my sketchbook from my bag and continued my drawing. Every once in a while, though, I would look up to see what the score was. It stayed pretty much tied the whole time.

During half time, I got off the bleachers and went to Matt, who was drinking water from his bottle. "This is boring!"

He almost choked on his water. "Boring?! How could it be boring?"

"I don't like sports," I reminded him. "When is the game over?"

"We have two more quarters left," Matt said. "Both twelve minutes."

I groaned and went back to the bleachers. Back to drawing.

The sudden, "Twenty!" from the crowd made me look at the clock. Twenty seconds left and the score was 64-63. For Robinson High.

The crowd began counting down with the clock, building up to the suspense.

Matt had the ball and tossed it to Luke. Luke dribbled it down the court, but something made him slow down. And I knew exactly what it was. Annie was flirting with one of the Robinson High basketball players sitting on the bench. Trust me; it was full on flirting. She was twirling a lock of her hair in her fingers and giggled. And not to mention the lack of space between them.

"Luke, shoot!" I heard Coach yell. Luke turned his head back to the hoop, suddenly remembering he was in a game. He lifted the ball high in the air and tossed it towards the neat.

Everyone watched anxiously as the ball rolled around the rim of the hoop. Some people shifted in their seats, leaning forward, their eyes not leaving the ball. Not even blinking.

The buzzer sounded, but the ball was still deciding if it was going to go in our not. Finally, it tipped...

And rolled off the hoop.

Robinson High burst into an obnoxious cheer, while the Lakemoat High students just sat there in disbelief.

After being handed the trophy, our enemy school left the gymnasium, yelling, "RO-BIN-SON!" repeatedly.

All of the Lakemoat students left, their head hanging in shame. The only people left in the gymnasium was me and the basketball team. Even Coach had left.

"What the hell was that?!" Briggs yelled at Luke. "You missed a free throw shot! You never do!"

Luke shook his head. "I'm sorry! I just... I got distracted." Poor guy sounded heart-broken.

"Rule number one," Briggs said, holding up one finger, "NEVER be distracted! You cost us the championship!"

"It wasn't my fault!" Luke said.

"How many of you think it was?" Briggs asked, addressing the rest of the team. They all raised their hand, even Matt. "There you have it, Luke. And you know the rules. Cost us a game, you're out for a week. But cost us the championship..." He looked at the rule-book he was holding in his hand. "And you're out for the rest of the year."

Luke just stood there, completely flabbergasted. "You're kicking me off the team?!"

The whole team nodded. Luke just scoffed and stormed out of the gymnasium. I, for a short amount of time, contemplated on following him out. I knew it wasn't his fault. But we never even talked, so I decided against it.

"You ready to go, Mel?!" Matt called, gesturing me to come. He had a hint of sadness in his throat.

"Yeah," I said. "Coming."

I followed him outside and to his car. On the ride home, I concluded that tomorrow would be an interesting day. The championship was huge. And now, it was gone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15K 1.1K 47
Ava Black.The girl with the golden heart.She cannot see anyone unhappy.She is one of the sweetest soul's alive. And she has her heart set on someone...
289 39 37
Melody Carter left everything behind - life, friends and love - for a reason she is not to tell anyone in order to protect what's important to her. F...
148K 7.8K 54
NOTE: I REVISED BEFORE YOU GO, SO THERE WILL BE SOME MISINFORMATION IN THIS ONE REGARDING LEON & ELIZA'S RELATIONSHIP. I WILL FIX IT SOON, THOUGH! *...
Coming Home By Yo

Teen Fiction

5.9K 349 32
After a car accident leaves Julep youngs parents dead, her and her distraught sister are sent to live with there aunt in Washington. The bullied depr...