What I Left Behind

By dinaAbu

She loves him and he loves her. But that is as friends of course. Blake Gray and Ethan Bradley are the clos... More

Prologue
What I Left Behind- Chapter 1
What I Left Behind- Chapter 2
What I Left Behind- Chapter 3
What I Left Behind- Chapter 4
What I Left Behind- Chapter 5
What I Left Behind- Chapter 6
What I Left Behind- Chapter 7
What I Left Behind- Chapter 8
What I Left Behind- Chapter 9
What I Left Behind- Chapter 10
What I Left Behind- Chapter 11
What I Left Behind- Chapter 12
What I Left Behind- Chapter 13
What I Left Behind- Chapter 14
What I Left Behind- Chapter 15
What I Left Behind- Chapter 16
What I Left Behind- Chapter 17
What I Left Behind- Chapter 18
What I Left Behind- Chapter 19
What I Left Behind- Chapter 20
What I Left Behind- Chapter 21
What I Left Behind- Chapter 22
What I Left Behind- Chapter 23
What I Left Behind- Chapter 24
What I Left Behind- Chapter 25
What I Left Behind- Chapter 26
What I Left Behind- Chapter 27
What I Left Behind- Chapter 28
What I Left Behind- Chapter 29
What I Left Behind- Chapter 30
What I Left Behind- Chapter 31
What I Left Behind- Chapter 32
What I Left Behind- Chapter 33
What I Left Behind- Chapter 34
What I Left Behind- Chapter 35
What I Left Behind- Chapter 36
What I Left Behind- Chapter 37
What I Left Behind- Chapter 39
What I Left Behind- Chapter 40
What I Left Behind- Chapter 41
What I Left Behind- Chapter 42
What I Left Behind- Chapter 43
What I Left Behind- Chapter 44
What I Left Behind- Chapter 45
What I Left Behind- Chapter 46
What I Left Behind- Chapter 47
What I Left Behind- Chapter 48
What I Left Behind- Chapter 49
What I Left Behind- Chapter 50
What I Left Behind- Chapter 51
What I Left Behind- Chapter 52
What I Left Behind- Chapter 53
What I Left Behind- Chapter 54
What I Left Behind- Chapter 55
Epilogue/Playlist

What I Left Behind- Chapter 38

1.2K 29 1
By dinaAbu

Chapter 38

Ethan’s POV

“Sweetie, which is better, pink and white or purple and ivory?” Victoria asked as we sat down with our wedding coordinator.

“I don’t know?” I said honestly.

She looked disappointed, “Let’s go with purple and ivory.” She said to the coordinator.

I didn’t want to be here. This was honestly the last place I want to be.

After asking Victoria to marry me, accidently by the way, I knew that it had been the biggest mistake I’d ever made.

********************************

3 Weeks Earlier

I’d overheard Charlie and Drew talking about how excited they’d been about this day coming. It was the day Blake would be coming home, for good.

I’d never been more excited yet I shouldn’t be.

“Baby, it’s still early.” Victoria whined from the bed.

“It’s ten thirty, it’s not that early.” I said in response getting up.

“Ugh fine, let me go brush my teeth.” She said getting up from bed and tossing on one of my shirts.

“What did I tell you about wearing my shirts babe? They’re for me and only me.” I said pulling my shirt back off her.

“I don’t understand what the big deal is.” She said shrugging.

“It’s a big deal to me.” I said.

I didn’t like anyone wearing my clothes other than Blake. It just didn’t feel right.

“Okay, whatever. I’ll be right back then.” She said hopping into the bathroom in my room.

I opened my drawer and rummaged through my clothes until I found the blue velvet box.

“Ah, there you are.” I said to myself as I pulled it out.

I opened the box and smiled at the ring.

I bought this about seven months ago when I was just strolling through Boca Pier. There was a small ring shop and when I went inside, I was blown away. I knew instantly when I saw it that I had to get it for Blake.

Even though I wasn’t planning on proposing to her for a while, there wouldn’t ever be a ring this incredible for her.

I bought it that day and tucked it away every since. Even after everything we’ve been through, I still had hope that we’d find our way back to each other some day and I still do.

I heard someone gasp.

I turned my head and saw Victoria with wide eyes and her hands covering her mouth.

I looked down at the box and wanted to yell shit.

I felt myself panic.

“Oh my god Ethan! I know it’s only been four months since we’ve been dating and we haven’t even said I love you to each other but yes! I’ll marry you!” She said grabbing the ring from the box and slipping it onto her hand.

She gave me a quick peck on the lips before I pulled away.

“No Victoria-“ I said before getting interrupted.

“OH my god! I have to go call Payson!” She squealed before running out the door.

Holy shit… what the hell just happened?

I was frozen… that was not what I had planned.

I didn’t want to get married to her. Shit, I didn’t even want to be with her! After she told me about her family and how they all died in a fire, I felt nothing but bad for the girl. I knew it was bad that I was still with her but I didn’t have the strength to break it to her. But now... How the hell was I supposed to tell her that the ring wasn’t for her?

That I was in fact in love with another girl? I ran my fingers through my hair before punching the wall.

“God damn it!” I shouted at myself before bringing my face in my hands.

*****************************

Blake’s POV

UVA had been a complete change from any school I’d been to. I was thankful though that I lived with Drew and that he helped me whenever I needed. We moved into our place about two weeks ago and it has been surprisingly fun.

Chase and I kept in touch every day whether it was calling each other or texting. I’d managed to be doing pretty well without him making me feel happy.

Ever since the day I came home, Ethan and I managed to only speak to each other when needed, which was only a few times. He stayed only at an apartment right across the street from ours but we still had enough distance where we never ran into each other.  

I was thankful for that.

Only on occasion did I have to socialize with him, which was either a party or whatever plans Drew had for us.

I was surprised that him and Victoria didn’t live with each other but apparently she wanted a house on the other side of town and he didn’t. How they were managing living like that was their problem and I didn’t ever think about him or her much.

Until now, that was.

Classes had just started and I was ready to knock out this year as a whole.

It was Friday night and Drew and I were planning on going to a club tonight to celebrate our first week of school. Well, we used that as an excuse anyways.

“We leave in a half hour, you ready pretty girl?” Drew asked from the living room.

“I’m ready now, but you aren’t.” I said stepping into the living room.

“You look good… maybe a little too good. Go put a little more conservative clothing on.” He said giving me a wink.

“Ha, love you.” I said nudging his shoulder.

“Love you too.” He shouted at me as he walked into his bathroom.

I heard a knock on the door and turned around and saw Drew peaking his head out the room with a “what the hell” kind of look.

I laughed at his expression, “I’ll get it.”

I headed to the door and saw Charlie standing behind it looking terrible.

“Char? What’s wrong? Why are you here?” I asked as I hugged her and pulled her in the apartment.

Immediately, she started sobbing on my shoulder. I became instantly worried.

I sat her down on the couch and waited for her to control her crying.

“What’s wrong Char?” I asked when she was breathing normally.

“I uh-“ She stuttered.

“I think Wesley’s cheating on me.” She said before sobbing uncontrollably again.

“Why do you think that?” I said.

“I found an underwear that isn’t mine in our apartment.” She said in between breaths.

“Did you talk to him about it?” I said starting to feel anger igniting in my body.

I never once thought that Wesley was good enough for her. In fact, I thought that he was good for no girl in the world. And whether or not this was true, I would still believe it. My thoughts on Wesley Drake had always been the same and always will be.

“Yes. We got into a heated argument because he kept denying it but I know it Blake. Those sure as hell weren’t my panties! I couldn’t hear any more of his bullshit so I came straight here.” She said.

I gave her a sad smile.

“If this is true, Wesley Drake didn’t know how badly he had just messed up. He single handedly ruined just about the greatest thing he ever got in life.” I said in all honesty.

She gave me a sad smile in return.

After a few minutes, Charlie had finally stopped crying.

“Why do you look all hot right now? Where were you planning on going?” She asked curiously.

I bit my lip, “Uh, Drew and I were going to go to this club tonight but I think we should stay.”

“Hell no you’re not. There’s no way you are staying home because of me.” Charlie said wiping her face and standing up.

“I’m not leaving you here and I sure as hell am not going to force you to come out with us.” I said standing up beside her.

“I’ll come. Maybe this will get my mind off things. I mean, what good will staying home and crying about it do? I’ll just figure it all out before I go back.” She said shrugging.

“So do I keep for you the weekend?” I asked excitedly.

“If you’ll have me.” She said sadly.

I squealed, “Yay!”

“Now what is this all about?” I heard Drew say as he came out from his room.

He looked at me then at Charlie and his face grew serious with worry.

“Tiger, what’s wrong?” He asked worried.

“I’m going to get you some clothes to change into, you two can talk until I come back.” I said leaving them to talk.

****************************************

“This place is bumpin’.” Charlie said scanning the club.

“Let’s go find someplace to sit.” I shouted over the music, grabbing Drew’s hand who grabbed Charlie’s.

We found a booth in a perfect location that overlooked the whole dance floor.

“Order for us Drew.” Charlie said yanking me up from my seat.

“Look’s like I’ll have to considering I’m the only one who brought a fake I.D.” He said just loudly enough for us to hear.

I giggled a little. She pulled me to the dance floor as some song I wasn’t familiar started to blast through the speakers.

Charlie laughed as we made our way to the middle of the dance floor and we started to dance to the music.

I was so happy to see her happy. She deserved to be happy.

I felt two arms wrap around my waist causing me to turn around and face a complete stranger.

“Maybe another song.” I shouted in his ear.

He was handsome, extremely handsome and I’d be stupid not to dance with him but I wanted to dance with Charlie. She needed to have a good time with her best friend and I didn’t want to deny it.

He nodded his head, “Another song.” He said smirking before walking off.

“You’re crazy for not dancing with that hunk!” Charlie shouted.

I shrugged but continued to dance with her until the song finished.

“Let’s go get something to drink!” Charlie shouted pulling me off the dance floor.

We went up to the table and took a seat as we saw the drinks Drew ordered for us.

“Wow. Look’s like I have to be the responsible one tonight.” Drew said looking at us.

I lifted up a glass as did Charlie and we clanked them together before drinking them in one gulp.

“Look’s like it superstar.” I said before rubbing my lips together.

“Great. And there was a hot ass chick here just a few minutes ago wanting to leave with me. You two suck.” He said jokingly.

I rolled my eyes playfully and grabbed another drink.

“Hey man, where have you been?” I heard Drew say to someone. I looked up and saw Ethan with Victoria on his arm.

“Just got here. Mind if we join?” He asked Drew but directed his attention at me.

I looked away from him and started talking to talk Charlie who was more than happy to ignore him and Victoria. Gotta love my best friend.

They scooted to the other side of the semi-circular booth and I was thankful that Drew was in the middle to separate us.

Charlie and I talked amongst ourselves with Drew for a little bit until a man came by the table standing in front of us.

Just then The Other Side by Jason Derulo starting blaring out of the speakers.

The man standing in front of us was the same one who I rejected on the dance floor.

“It’s another song now.” He said smirking at me.

I felt all eyes on me.

I bit my lip and looked at Charlie, “Uh, you better go or I might go for you!” She said jokingly.

“You sure?” I whispered.

“Hell yeah!” She said getting up so I can go dance with him.

I smiled at him as he took my hand and he led the way down to the dance floor.

I took once glance back at the table to see Charlie and she gave me a thumbs up. I looked to the left of her when I wish I didn’t. Ethan’s eyes were boring in mine with anger and his jaw was tight.

I tore my eyes away from him and ignored his look. He was the last person that had the right to be pissed off.

The man pulled me onto the dance floor and we started dancing almost immediately. His hand wrapped around my waist and we started to dance to the rhythm of the music. I felt his arms tighten more around me and he pushed me closer to him. Thankfully, the song ended giving me an excuse to get back to Charlie.

As much as I enjoyed the dance, I really wanted to be with her.

“Looks like the songs over. Have a good night.” I shouted in his ear causing him to smirk.

He tugged on my hand and I let go, “Sorry buddy but you weren’t that good.” I said winking at him before I saw Drew walk towards me on the dance floor.

“Dance with your man.” He shouted to me.

I laughed at him and then took him to the middle of the dance floor when I Need Your Love by Ellie Goulding and Calvin Harris started playing.

Drew and I danced for many more songs after and were joined by Charlie. I was happy dancing with the three of them. They were all I really needed at the moment and I couldn’t be more thankful.

Although I wished Ethan had been here too, enjoying this moment with us, things were different and they forever will be.

I shook the thought out of my head.

I was happy right now, why was I trying to ruin this moment?

“Don’t think Blake. Just live.” Drew shouted at me as we continued to dance.

I smiled at him, “As long as you promise me to do the same pretty boy.”

A huge grin spread across his face.

After a few more songs, I was exhausted and decided to make my way back to the table. Drew and Charlie followed.

If I knew that I’d be walking back to this, I would have still been dancing my ass of on the dance floor.

Ethan and Victoria were sucking each other’s faces causing my insides to shutter. Not only were they only kissing each other like they were the last two people alive but they were feeling each other up like I’ve never seen a person do. It was so nasty that it should be illegal.

“Uh, that’s disgusting and you know it. No one want’s to see you two doing that, like, ever.” Charlie said disgusted.

“Yeah, I’m a freak but I’m not that freaky. Go somewhere you two.” Drew said, which caused them to look at us.

I didn’t dare look at him.

He was not the same person I knew. This version of Ethan would have never done that, to me, or anyone.

I wasn’t sure if it was out of jealousy but that had to have been the rudest and most hurtful thing he had did to me yet.

“You know what, we’ll go somewhere. Have a nice you two.” Charlie said angrily at Ethan before grabbing her and my clutch.

“Dumb ass.” Drew said loud enough for everyone to hear.

I fought a giggle. No matter how disappointed I was with Ethan, Drew always made me happy even if it was in a bad situation.

I climbed down the stairs and made my way out of the club with Drew and Charlie.

“Have a good night?” Drew asked us as he swung his arms around the both of us so that they were resting over our shoulders.

“It was much needed. You B?” Charlie asked.

“You know what? It was much better than I expected.” I said honestly.

 Even with Ethan pulling the stunt he just pulled, I still had a great night overall. I was thankful. I honestly never thought I’d see the say when I’d feel alive again, especially after Nana’s death.

She took a piece of me that I was sure I’d never get back.

But tonight had helped. Helped me in ways that I’d never imagined.

“As long as my girls had a good time, then that’s all that matters.” Drew said happily causing me to smile.

“And did you have a good time, superstar?” I asked nudging him playfully in the stomach as we approached the car.

“I did but tonight’s about to get a whole lot better.” He said smirking as he jumped in the drivers seat.

I hopped in the passengers and Charlie jumped in the back.

“Why’s tonight about to be better?” I asked curiously.

“I get to spend the rest of the night with my two best friends.” He said shrugging.

My insides warmed, “Is it me or are you becoming a softy?”

His smirk dropped into a frown, “Oh I’m still the sexy badass me, but I think living with you may have exposed me to too many chick flicks.”

Charlie and I both giggled.

“Sleepover in Drew’s king sized bed tonight!” Charlie squealed.

“I pick the movie!” I shouted.

“I’ll make the food!” Charlie added.

“And I’ll get the gun to shoot myself with.” Drew responded causing Charlie and I to laugh.

Just then, She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5 started to play from the stereo. I instantly turned up the volume and started singing as loud as I can.

Charlie joined in and soon later Drew did too causing the biggest smile to spread across my face. These two really were my best friends, no matter what.

As much as I missed Chase or even Ethan, these two knew me better than anyone and always knew how to cheer me up.

I looked at the both of them smiling and singing along to the song. I was listening to my favorite band, with my favorite people on a good night and I couldn’t be more thankful.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.3K 2.9K 44
Book One of the Jubilee and Blake Series All our lives we are told that life is just a series of critical choices, some big, some small, and all impe...
8K 381 19
Ethan and Grayson grew up inseparable. They had been best friends since birth. As their bond grew so did confused feelings. One brutal night is enoug...
58.9K 1.6K 27
UNEDITED! "We're just friends, Cam." his eyes go to the left and he avoids my gaze. I walk up to him and he immediately looks up to my eyes, flickeri...
403K 9K 26
{Highest Ranking: #160 in Teen Fiction & #1 in Love at First Sight} Zac Logan thought he had everything. His parents were filthy rich. He was captain...