Long-Distance Calls

By writeyourname97

Peter Charming, a 15 year-old socially anxious boy from Queens, joins an online game and meets Evelyn Tiger... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
4(0)4
45
46
47
Epilogue
AUTHOR'S NOTE + SEQUEL

9

150 19 48
By writeyourname97

* big thanks to all of you for making this story reach over 100 votes and almost 1k reads! I am very thankful, special shoutouts to hanuman1702 Dante_Greywolf flusteredcheeks FetchingPenumbra Corabellina and all the other Robbers! Enjoy this chapter! *

My mother came rushing into the room, called my name, and opened the shutters, with the intention of either waking me up or pissing me off... or both.

Little did she know I had been awake basically the whole time.

"God, I slept for like two hours," I gurgled, smacking the palm of my hand on my face.

"C'mon," she said with her usual coldness and distance, "It's late already."

I pushed my face into the pillow. "School's already heavy stuff, mom. I don't need you to make it heavier."

So there it was. The first day of high school was here. I stood up and struggled not to fall back in the bed.

You don't realize how comfortable bed is and how great sleeping is until they take them from you.

I went down the stairs and walked right into the bathroom.

Fuck, is what I said when I looked at myself in the mirror. I had a bed head, and fixing it was going to be near to impossible.

I, cliché enough, splashed water on my face and, after having breakfast with the usual chocolate milk and biscuits, brushed my teeth.

I had planned to wear a white t-shirt for the first day of school for a long a time, so that's what I put on, over the usual black pants. The weather was still hot, therefore there was no need for a jacket.

I then tried to fix my hair using some wax, with very poor results, squinting while doing it, because I couldn't see a thing.

That reminded me to take my glasses. I had them on so little that I often even forgot about them. Although, once found them, I didn't wear them, but I put them in my pocket.

"Good luck on your first day," my mom bothered to say without even looking at me from far into the kitchen.

For some reason when someone said things like "good morning" or "good luck" on a school day I would get mad.

"See you after lunch," I replied a few seconds before closing the door behind me.

At that time in the morning, it was actually a bit chilly. The sky was grey, the sun wasn't entirely up yet, and the streets were deserted.

Only a few cars would make an appearance every now and then and, when they did, their engine made an annoying and furious noise, not because they were broken or old, but because, at that time in the morning, silence reigned supreme and I felt like a vampire as every little sound was amplified in my head.

That morning all you could hear, aside from me walking, was the singing of some birds.

I walked rapidly through the street. Everything looked blurry, but I learned to get used to it, which made me feel like Daredevil.

I met Andrew at the bus stop.

"Hey," I muttered.

He greeted me with a plain movement of the head.

"Did you get any sleep?" I asked him.

"I slept like a baby. Why ask?" He sounded a little rough.

"'Cause I didn't. I slept for like two hours," I quavered.

"And why so?" He kicked some rocks with his foot.

"I don't know. Anxiety, I guess." I tried to sound vague.

"Anxiety? C'mon, this is an exciting moment!" he exclaimed.

"Don't talk to me about excitement right now," I yawned, "I don't even know if I'm awake or not."

The bus arrived right on time. During the trip, we barely exchanged a word.

I forgot my headphones, so I had to listen to the music on the radio. We Are Young was on.

That song, though I liked it, didn't exactly reflect my mood in that moment, but I would take it any day over Flo Rida or Pitbull.

After more than twenty minutes, we got there. Andrew got out of the bus all excited. I, on the other hand, almost wished the bus doors would close before I could get out and take me away.

In front of us, Flushing High School.

The building was tall. Really tall. Frightening tall. New York City buildings tall. But this time the dizziness wasn't pleasant.

It almost looked like a castle, but I wasn't the king. I felt like a slave getting deported in it. I felt like, once I entered it, I would have never seen the sunlight again.

Though on the outside the situation was pretty calm, on the inside it was a mess. There was a great amount of young people, all over the rooms.

"Oh man! Agoraphobia kicking in!" I almost shouted so Andrew could hear me.

"C'mon," he said, clearly more relaxed than I was, "Let's find our class."

And apparently our first class was English. We found the room and we entered it. There were some twenty people. I didn't understand how Andrew was doing that.

How could he not feel even the slight bit of anxiety in that moment? He was acting all confident and straight to the point.

We entered the class and the teacher, a slim woman on her thirties with long golden brown hair, pitch black eyes and glasses, asked for our names.

"Hook. Andrew," he said with a deep, steady voice.

"Uh, Charming. P-Peter," My voice was the exact opposite of his. I heard some laughter in the room when I said this, as usual.

"Please, take a seat," she said, adjusting her small, transparent glasses.

I walked right behind Andrew, until he sat in the first row, next to a curly-headed girl.

I stopped and looked at him with eyes wide opened. He didn't even give me a look, as he introduced himself to the lady.

Why would he do something like that? Why would he get me in that situation? Why would he lie about us sitting together all summer, only to sit next to the first pretty girl he sees?

I looked away from him, to the rest of the class. They were all staring at me. I took a quick glance of all their faces, without resting my eyes on any one of them. I saw some pretty girls and some scary-looking individuals, but then again, I couldn't see them very well, they were all blurred out in my eyes.

I realized that there was an empty desk in the last row, so I bounced there, not before glaring at Andrew.

But it was useless, as he was too busy talking with that girl to care about his freaking friend.

I sat next to an Asian kid that I didn't even see from where I stood before.

"Hi," I whispered, constantly averting my eyes from his, "I'm Peter."

"Hey," he said. His voice wasn't really deep, but, to my surprise, the accent was very American, "I'm Erasmus. Nice to meet you."

Erasmus?! What the hell kind of name is that?

"Woah!" I raised my eyebrows at him, still whispering,  "And I was worried about my last name being Charming!"

He looked at me with an expressionless face for a few seconds, then he looked away.

Off to a great start. Off to a great. fucking. start.

***

Thanks for reading, please VOTE and COMMENT if you liked!

***

See you on FRIDAY as the first day of school continues in the next chapter!

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

450K 12.9K 89
"Naughty Rose, trying to get started without us, tell us what you want baby," I cooed at her. "I want all of you right now. I want to be rid of my vi...
602 33 17
The six teenagers are sixteen, and going to junior year of high school. Emma is facing the insecurities of being a hot jock's girlfriend, and Peter i...
130K 3.7K 37
Sofia is an ordinary girl, trying to live her life as normally as possible. Being a teen in high school isn't easy for her. Especially finding her pl...
400 19 24
This story follows Katie through the final months of her senior year in high school. Her nonexistent relationship with her mother doesn't stop her fr...