SKIPPING TIME

By Tamaradw

Cacee Adams never suspects that Jess--the, "honor-student/ Boy Scout" she's falling for, is really... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 3.5
Chapter 4
Chapter 4.5
Chapter 5
Chapter 5.5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 9.5
Chapter 10
Chapter 10.5
Chapter 11
Chapter 11.5
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 13.5
Chapter 14
Chapter 14.5
Chapter 15
Chapter 15.5
Chapter 15 and 3/4
Chapter 16
Chapter 16.5
Chapter 17
Chapter 17.5
Chapter 18.5
Chapter 19
Chapter 19.5
Chapter 20
Chapter 20.5
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 22.5
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 24.5
Chapter 24 and 3/4
Chapter 25
Chapter 25.5
Chapter 26
Chapter 26.5
Chapter 27
Chapter 27.5
Chapter 28
Chapter 28.5
Chapter 29
Chapter 29.5
Chapter 30
AUTHORS NOTE
More Winning Entries--POEMS
FOR ALL FANS OF SHANE
IMPORTANT NEWS! :)
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ :)
ANNOUNCEMENT!!
CHASING TIME ANNOUNCEMENT PLEASE READ
SECOND IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
Publishing Skipping Time

Chapter 18

40.3K 1K 243
By Tamaradw

Once at Jess's bed, Cacee put the water and medicine on his headboard. He still slept, but he moaned often and, when she checked, his forehead was even hotter than before. Wow. She completely sucked. She should've checked on him way before now. 

Shane leaned up from his spot at Jess's side and licked her hand. She ruffled his ears and murmured, "Good dog, Shane. Good boy." At least her dog was trying to take care of Jess. Shane let out a contented sigh and snuggled back into Jess's side.

She transferred her hand from her pup's head to Jess's. "Jess? Jess? Wake up."

He tossed his head.

"Jess. Come on, wake up now."

He whispered, "Water."

She lifted him carefully and like before, he gulped it. She admonished, "Slow down. Don't make yourself sick. I have medicine for you."

Jess took the Advil and lay back obediently, which worried her more. She twisted her bracelet. Where was his normal argument about being fine?

His eyes opened, focused on her and enough heat came into them to scorch the blanket she sat on as he said, "I was dreaming about you."

The temperature of her face warmed as predictably as a stove. "Good dreams, I hope."

Jess gave her a smile that, even in his current state, made him impossibly cute. "Very good dreams."

She blushed hotter, which made him laugh, which turned into a wracking cough. By the time he finished, he was sweating and gasping for air. He gulped the rest of the water and rasped, "Is there a bathroom here?"

She nodded. "Yeah, through the kitchen. I'll help you."

Shane let out a low grunt of protest as Jess pushed himself up, letting his feet hang over the bed. Jess gave her pup a quick scratch before gesturing to the gray sweat pants he wore. "How did I get these on?"

She tried to sound unconcerned. "Ray put them on you."

Jess scowled but, just as fast, flashed her a grin. "Did you help?"

She smiled. "No, sorry. I was--" She didn't want to tell him she'd been too panic-stricken to remember even arriving here. She finished quickly, "Getting changed myself."

Jess's eyes travelled up and down her slowly. "Flannel and turtles, hmmm? You couldn't have found a nice silk nightgown or something? Preferably low cut?"

She tried to duck her head to hide behind her still-damp hair, but wasn't fast enough.

Jess tucked the strands behind her ears while laughing. "I can't believe I forgot you're so prone to blushing.  I should have been doing this for months."

The words came before she could help it. "If you remembered, you would've been  shamelessly flirting with me for months? I seriously doubt that." Even now, she didn't quite believe Jess had decided she was girlfriend material.

Jess put his arm around her and spoke in her ear. "You're so wrong. You've been driving me crazy since the instant we met, Cace. Those pretty eyes were all full of tears and I took one look into them...and...that was it." He gave her a glance that somehow managed to be both sexy and shy before letting his mouth graze her neck. When he pulled away, his eyes didn't quite meet hers, but he left his arm around her shoulders.

She did her best to control how shaky her breathing was. She wasn't sure how she'd be able to help him get up, as her legs were now so weak she seriously doubted they'd hold her. God. He barely kissed her, but she still felt it in every nerve-ending she possessed. She could practically hear the emergency memo from her brain:

ATTENTION ALL NERVE-ENDINGS! ALL PRODUCTION FLOORS ARE TO CEASE THEIR NORMAL FUNCTIONS AND, INSTEAD, FOCUS SOLELY ON REACTING TO JESS RENAZARI! THANK YOU ~The management.

It didn't help that Jess still didn't have on a shirt and that every inch of him was tan and muscled and--

Jess tensed and muttered, "Shit."

"What?"

He looked at her with a mixture of guilt and mortification. "Did I-I-ummm. Earlier...uuuhhh...."

She finished his sentence, trying to sound unaffected by his current nearness. "Punch Ray and then pass out on top of me? Yes. You did."

He groaned. "Damn it, Cace. I'm sorry."

"For punching Ray or passing out?"

"Do you want a lie or the truth?"

The warmth in her stomach eased enough for her to give him an exasperated look. "The truth is always nice."

"Just for passing out then. Although, I didn't know I passed out on top of you. I wish I'd been awake to enjoy that." Jess's eyes twinkled, and he gave her a crooked smile.

She couldn't help but smile back, even as she wondered if he'd always be able to charm her so easily. Ray walked into the room, frowned, and walked back out.

Jess asked, "What's with him?"

She shrugged.

Ray returned and tossed Jess a white T-shirt.

Jess rolled his eyes, but moved away from her and pulled it on. He kept his gaze on his feet as he stammered, "Hey, Cace? Would you mind-maybe-umm... grabbing my cigarettes out of your bag?"

She smiled at him. "No problem."

Jess's eyes gleamed a warm green as his head lifted and he looked at her in surprise. "Oh. Thanks."

She was sort of surprised to realize she didn't mind. She'd rather Jess didn't smoke and she might eventually try to get him to quit, but it wasn't a deal breaker. In fact, she liked him being comfortable enough to smoke around her. She liked that he was cursing more in front of her. From the start she'd never cared about his language. The way he corrected himself was sweet, but unnecessary. 

She was rapidly realizing that she'd much rather have Jess than some made-up guy he thought she would like. Jess, with his smoking and his temper and his cursing. Jess, with his talent and his courage and his little-boy dimple.

"No smoking in here!"

Cacee looked up in surprise. Ray was practically snarling at Jess.

Jess shrugged. "Fine. I'll go outside."

Ray's mouth drew into a tight bow. "Do you think smoking makes you cool or something?"

Jess rolled his eyes and drawled, "Obviously, Ray. Why else would I do it?"

"I thought so." Ray couldn't have sounded more sanctimonious if he'd taken his priestly vows directly before making this statement.

Jess's eyes frosted over. "It seemed cool when I started, when I was eleven. Once I grew up a little, I tried to quit. Turns out nicotine is highly addictive. Who knew?"

Cacee struggled not to show surprise. At eleven years old she was still playing with stuffed animals.

Ray scowled and started to say something else.

Even though she hated Jess smoking, a surge of protectiveness hit her. She glared at Ray. "Jess is sick right now. The last thing he needs is a lecture on smoking. It's none of your business."

Ray kept his eyes on Jess. "It's my business as long as he's dating my daughter."

Jess started to say something, but she moved in front of him. "No, Ray. It's not. It's Jess's business. But if you want to fight with someone about this, you can fight with me." Her heart banged in her ears, revved up with a mixture of nerves and adrenaline.

Ray looked down at the food he was putting away.

She kept her voice loud enough for Ray to hear. "I'll get your cigarettes and go with you, Jess. I need to bring Shane anyway; he hasn't been out since we got here."

Ray said, "Once you're out there you won't be able to see the door, its camouflaged to blend into the wall. Just leave something in front of it to mark the spot. When you knock I'll let you in. And don't walk more than ten feet or so. It's too easy to get lost down here."

He spoke nicely again, and his pleading expression made her guilty. She didn't want to use his affection for her against him, but she would if he didn't back off Jess. Trying to smooth things over, she kept her voice as nice as his. "Where's down here, anyway?"

Ray looked relieved, "We're way below some abandoned subway systems. When I'm underground, my signal is much fainter, impossible to track."

She smiled. "It's like I'm in a James Bond movie."

Ray smiled back.

Jess went even paler and said weakly, "I'm gonna hit the bathroom."

He got up unsteadily, and she looped her arm around his waist. Shane jumped up as well, staying by Jess's heel until he caught a whiff of the spaghetti and bounded to Ray.

Ray asked, "Cacee, can Shane have spaghetti? I'm sorry, but there's no dog food here."

Since Shane had been living off pizza and dirt, she figured a bowl of spaghetti wouldn't hurt. "Yeah, sure. Make sure to put Parmesan cheese on his if you have some. Shane loves cheese."

Ray chuckled. "Cheese it is."

She asked Jess, "You hungry?"

He shook his head. "Not too much. More tired than anything. I'll eat later."

They walked to the bathroom and, as they passed Ray, Cacee saw him glance at her. He ran a hand through his hair before heaving a sigh and offering, "There are new toothbrushes in there if you need one, kid. And a couple of combs in a basket on the sink."

Jess went rigid and said through gritted teeth, "It's Jess."

She gave him a tiny poke in the ribs and he mumbled an obviously grudging, "But thanks. Thank you."

Ray didn't respond. He and Jess both looked like they'd just stuck their nose in sewage. Cacee sighed, and they finished crossing the small room in silence.

Once at the bathroom, Jess leaned against the door frame and motioned her closer. He spoke low, "I know you don't like me smoking. Thanks for sticking up for me anyway, Cace. That was really..." He trailed off but his expression was painfully grateful. She wondered again what happened to him—that he should be so appreciative she was on his side?

She said, "It's no big deal. Ray was wrong."

Jess pulled her into his arms and ran his hand lightly through her hair. "It's a big deal to me." He pressed his lips against her forehead before asking, "Wait here?"

"Sure."

"Thanks." He dropped another lingering kiss on her head before going into the bathroom.

She bit her lip in a failed attempt to stop smiling. Add sweetly romantic to the list of characteristics she hadn't known Jess possessed.

Ray asked, "Does he want to eat?"

"He'll eat later. He's still really tired."

In an obvious bid to make sure things were good between them, Ray said, "Make sure to get some Advil in him."

"I did, but thanks."

The conversation petered out.

Jess came out of the bathroom with his hair and teeth brushed, but even paler than when he went in. Again, he spoke quietly, ensuring only she would hear him. "I think I better skip going out, Cace."

She nodded. "That's probably best. You don't look so good."

Jess didn't argue, just put his arm around her. They walked back to the bed slowly. Half-way there he stumbled. She tried to take more of his weight, but he sank to his knees and huffed, "Gimme a sec." She knelt next to him, rubbing his shoulders.

Shane ran over, possibly realizing he was being remiss in his duties. He put his paws on Jess's shoulders and licked his face, before nudging him encouragingly.

Jess hugged her dog and then pushed to his feet and made it back to the bed. She got them both tucked in. Without opening his eyes, Jess said, "Don't go out alone, okay? Make Ray take Shane."

She said, "I'm sure it's safe. I'll stay right outside the door."

He opened his eyes. "Please, Cace. Don't go. Let Ray do it." He looked worried enough to make her all warm. She knew she should be independent and all that, but she kind of liked how protective he'd gotten. She nodded. "Okay."

Jess's eyes were already drifting shut again, but he grabbed her hand and whispered, "And when you come to bed, you'll stay with me, right?"

It was the first time she remembered him sounding so completely unguarded. Like he needed her. She squeezed his hand. "Of course."

Jess's lips curved up, and he fell asleep still clutching her hand. She brushed his bangs out of his face before letting her fingers trace the line of his jaw. Well. He'd definitely managed to erase the last of her confusion.

She no longer cared if he wasn't who she'd thought. She felt the same way about him that she always had. If anything, she'd fallen even harder for him since they landed here and he started acting like her knight in slightly tarnished armor. They still needed to talk, but it wouldn't change anything.

From the kitchen, Ray said loudly, "How about I take Shane out, hon? I don't want you going alone."

"Oh. Okay. Thanks."

He asked, "When I come back, we'll finish talking?"

She smiled. "Yeah. Sure."

Ray grinned before whistling Shane to his side and walking out. She looked at Jess's hand still holding hers and sighed in contentment. Her normal optimism was back. Yeah, she could obviously do some strange stuff, but there must be a way to control it. Once Ray understood how she skipped, he'd figure out how to stop it.

But, would she have time to ask him? Or would they go back tomorrow? If no more than six minutes would pass why go back right away?

She already didn't like the idea of losing Ray again. Plus, she wanted to be with Jess as long as possible. Staying here would give her both of them. She smiled at her complete turnaround.

This crazy thing that had seemed like a curse was beginning to look like a gift instead.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 41K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
7.3K 869 34
[FEATURED on @teenfiction and @YA] After a life-changing move, Winter Moore realizes she needs to learn to climb if she wants to kick old habits and...
412K 7.8K 42
She's the girl none gives a second glace to when they pass in the hallways, Chloe Miller she's a wallflower and honestly she likes it. Its her last y...
46.2K 2.6K 72
"They were like parallel lines... close, but never together." ❤ STARTED :13th JANUARY 2021 FINISHED: 25th APRIL 2021 #Highs...