Ocean's Gateway ✔

Af emmy_dee

Book 1 in ~The Ocean Series~ An ancient prophecy; a new world in another dimension; a ruthless king bent on d... Mere

Prologue
1 | The Purchase
2 | Terrified
3 | An Unexpected Journey
4 | History Lesson
5 | A Calling
6 | Reunion
7 | Marching Orders
8 | Tidings
9 | Too Crazy?
10 | Turn of the Tide
11 | Test of Faith
12 | Some Answered Prayers
13 | Farewell
14 | Welcome
15 | Time to Breathe
16 | Preparations
17 | The Battle - Part 1
18 | The Battle - Part 2
19 | The Choice
20 | Aftermath
21 | Truth Hurts
22 | Wondering
23 | Heroes
24 | Courage to be Honest
26 | For Love
Epilogue
Author's Note
Ocean's Secret | Prologue

25 | The Heart's Answer

44 9 25
Af emmy_dee

Hey Everyone! Sorry that it's taken me so long to update, but it's just that time of year with everything happening at once lol :) And I'm still not sure what direction to take the ending, as it's my first long book :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Stay."

The single word echoed in Emily's mind before reverberating into her heart. Was it a question? An order? Looking into Jace's eyes, Emily could see the war going on behind the forest green depths. It was a question, but it was also a statement. A statement of his longings and desires, and possibly love for her. 

But did he love her? Did he really want her to stay here with him? Emily didn't know.

She felt him gently squeeze her hands, perhaps impatiently waiting for a response.

"Jace, I – I don't know..." she stammered as her heart thudded, and she couldn't help the frown that crept over her face.

"Will you marry me? Emily, I love you," he leaned closer and whispered those last few words so quietly she had to read the look in his eyes, the look that could only be love. Why hadn't she recognised it before? She wasn't used to it, that's why. Jace had always been just a friend, her best friend. But she realized it was something more; had always been something more. Maybe he cared for her just as deeply as she cared for him.

"You want me to marry you?" she managed to squeak out. Her heart was doing crazy flip-flops, and ordinarily she would have probably thrown her arms around Jace's neck and say she loved him in return. But now, it was an even bigger decision to admit her feelings for him. The last 24 hours she'd told herself that this was it, she was saying goodbye to her best friend and nothing more would come of their friendship. But here was Jace, offering her the choice to stay here and be with him; marry him.

But...she hesitated, and her frown was mirrored on Jace's expectant face. Did God even want her to stay here? Wasn't this Jace's path? He had been chosen to come here and fight for this land, and he had made the sacrifice to save the people and bring peace. Why would she be allowed the opportunity to stay and live here?

"Yes, my darling Emily. I don't know why I've never told you before, but you are way more than just a friend to me. You're my best friend, my closest friend, one I can't begin to imagine living here without. I want you by my side forever, Emily. I want you to be my wife; I want to see your beautiful smile every day, hear your laughter, hold your hand as we go for long walks together...."

She smiled brightly at his words, hope springing up in her heart as it reached her face. But there was still so much to consider. Could she really leave her old life on Earth behind?

"I feel the same, Jace...and," her thumping heart made it hard to hear her own thoughts, "and of course I would- would love to stay here with you and get married, but...but can I?" Emily looked around her as Jace continued holding her hands.

Everyone was still preparing to leave, chatting in groups and saying their goodbyes. She saw the Sen Cyrians and Tiritians further up the hill, and wondered what it would be like to live here amongst them. She'd always thought her life's mission was to be a witness to the people on Earth; that was why she wrote songs, poems, and stories about Jesus' love and sacrifice, His mercy and redemption. Maybe she could still do that here. Maybe she could live for Jesus in any dimension or universe; maybe here with Jace she could continue to do God's will.

"I'm sure Cyrus would love to have you stay. Afterall, you fought just as hard in the battle, why wouldn't you be able to live here and be accepted among the people?" he gently tugged her closer and the water sloshed around their ankles as Emily stepped into his arms and rested her head on his shoulder.

"Then we'll talk to Cyrus before we make any decisions," she wouldn't let her heart float away on wings of love and bliss just yet. "If he says it's ok, then we'll make plans...and we'll have to pray about it too of course."

"Of course. I already have been praying almost non-stop since yesterday, asking God what His will is," he kissed her lightly on the forehead.

Emily blushed as she became aware of the people on the nearby grassy slope. "Do you really want to marry me, Jace?" she pulled away enough to look him in the eyes. She still couldn't believe he'd just said that he loved her and wanted to be with her for the rest of his life. What was so special about her?

"Of course I do, Emily! I just said I did, didn't I?" his face lit up in his usual endearing way as he smiled at Emily. He carefully brushed a few wisps of hair from her eyes as the gentle afternoon breeze blew around them. "I do not want to live here all by myself, so if I need to squeeze the approval from Cyrus, I will!" he said emphatically.

Emily laughed and wrapped her arms around his waist. "Ok," was all she said. Her heart and mind were too busy gallivanting away with wild and exciting visions of what a life here in this beautiful land with Jace could look like. "I so hope he says yes," she stared into the sparkling depths of his eyes and forgot about the rest of the world for an instant. When Jace leaned in closer and placed a feather light kiss on her lips, she knew she could never leave through the Gateway and live a life without him. An urgent prayer that God would not only allow them to be together, but that it would be His will, surged in her heart and flew heavenward.

Arm in arm, they splashed back to the shoreline in search of Cyrus. They would need to put their mushy emotional feelings aside for a short while as they sorted out the logistics of their plan. How would Emily be able to stay here? Could she just leave her life behind on Earth? Well, Jace was already doing that, so it wasn't too big an issue – they could sort that out. What about her family and friends? They would miss her terribly, as would Jace's family, but again, if he was here going through the same thing, why not she?

Cyrus greeted them on the marble steps that led to the mansion's front entrance, where he was overlooking the preparations to leave and final goodbyes.

"We just have a smaaaaall question," Jace began.

"Well, I wouldn't really say it's small," Emily added.

"You want to know if Emily can stay with you here in my land, don't you?" Cyrus couldn't help the broad grin and sparkle in his eyes even though he had meant to sound serious.

"How did you-?"

"Oh tsk," Cyrus waved his hand as if it was no big deal. "You don't see two lovebirds staring into each other's eyes like they are the only two people in existence without knowing what's happening. Your only problem is if I will allow you, my darling Emily, to live here, is that it?" his caring smile and gentle hand rested on Emily.

"Please, Cyrus? Jace and I have always been the best of friends, and there's no way I can go back to Earth without him. I mean, I could...be strong, if I needed to, I guess....but I..." Emily looked at Jace and refused to let the tears fall from her eyes. She didn't know what she'd do if Cyrus refused.

"I understand perfectly well, Daughter. And I give you my blessing for your union. I also welcome you to live in my land, and it is us who will be blessed with your company for the rest of your days," Cyrus smiled at them both as Jace wrapped his arms strongly around Emily as if he never wanted to let her go. Emily squealed with delight and knew she never would have to let Jace go again.

"Thank you so much, Cyrus," they both said in unison, their faces shining from the warm glow of the setting sun.

"Sir, everyone is ready for the journey back to Earth," Skyfali approached them and interrupted the happy moment. Jace wasn't upset; there would be a lifetime of happy moments for them to enjoy.

"Alright, let's wave them all off then, shall we?" Cyrus turned and started down the hill with Jace and Emily following.

Jace's father and sister came to say goodbye, and they both had also been watching and knew of the decision between them.

"I'm so glad you're going to be my sister for real, now!" Amy hugged Emily tightly. "We'll definitely have to come back for the wedding! I don't know how, but we will!!" she talked excitedly and punched her little bro in the arm. "Good job, Jace. I'm glad you fiiiinaly realised you loved Em!"

"Yeah, I had to die and come back to life to admit it, though," he winked at Emily.

"I hope you would've anyway," she smiled at him with a playful smirk.

"We'll see you soon, Son," Jay hugged his son and thumped his back. "Your mother would be so proud of you, for sacrificing your life for Cyrus and this land, and for proposing to Emily," he smiled at her where she stood beside Jace.

"Thanks. Give her a hug for me," Jace tried not to look like he was crying, but Emily put her hand in his and gave him a nod of understanding. He didn't know when he'd see his mother and father again, nor his sister. It was like he was losing his family. But Jace realised, with Emily's arm wrapped around him and his around her slender shoulders, that he was gaining something just as precious. He was going to be with his best friend forever; in this beautiful land, they would start a new life together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Awww <3 <3 <3 
SO, I have a few questions for my readers :) Should Emily go back to Earth and settle everything with her job and family? (Oh yeah, I've totally forgotten to mention in the story: she is a graphic designer for  a Christian magazine and writes stuff in her spare time; and her parents are missionaries in another country, so she wouldn't see them anyway if she went back to Earth for  a few days) OR should she stay in Sen Cyrus and plan the wedding OR should they just get married the very next day or week...??? What are your other ideas?
I really have no idea what should happen haha!! :) x) So help me write the story if you read this before it's finished! :)
Thanks :) <3

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

3.4K 155 32
AN- Hi, this is only half of the book, the rest of this books on my other profile @emmadunn98 and it's the same name and front cover as it is on her...
2.4K 219 26
Tyler, Ty, Seas born and raised as a human with no knowledge of his fishy ancestors or the threats that come with it. At the age of eighteen and abou...
4.3K 1.8K 51
Cover by: @Caitlyn-Blayne "After the great war, King Archeron, who was not yet a king, was the obvious choice to be the monarch of Avenlea. He poss...
17.3K 785 28
A baby merman was found in the shore by a couple who never had a chance to have baby, once upon a time. They raise the kid with all the love they cou...