Secret

By thosefreaksoverthere

Aurora Harness started off with a regular, teenage girl life. Do homework, sleep, kiss your boyfriend, work... More

:Chapter Deux: You Don't Believe Me, Huh?

Secret

1.6K 34 46
By thosefreaksoverthere

“Take it or leave it, Hun. One thousand freakin’ dollars is on the line. Do you hear me? Take the offer, Aurora. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. No one else will give you this offer—it’s going to be huh-uge. You’re pretty, your co-star is h-o-t and it’s based on a book sold to millions and millions of people. Let’s cut to the chase here, Rory. This will change your life.” Denise said.

After she saw me at Roy’s Coffee Palace, she stalked me. Literally. I didn’t even know; she tracked my every move in hope of getting me on her movie. I only know this now; three weeks after ‘The Stalking’. I didn’t even notice her petite figure at the Coffee Palace. I was too busy taking demands from my manager who was ordering me to make a fresh batch of our world-famous chocolate truffles. Producer’s now scare me. Do all of them do, ‘The Stalking’ as she called it, when she told me? Creepers.

“B-b-but, this is all so much. Thank you, but I don’t know what to—” I started, looking at her with a cheek-to-cheek smile, trying to be empathetic.

“Say? Say one word; ‘Yes.’ I promise you, Aurora. You’re a perfect casting for Lana; you don’t even have to audition! I’m sorry, but you are really stupid. Who offers you a thousand dollars and you don’t take it? I looked at your drama marks; I even talked to your principal. You’re not supposed to know, but he said if he reviews ten episodes you’ll get a scholarship for Harvard Drama University.”

What about my parents? Moving to L.A isn’t something every parent wants their sixteen year old daughter to do. It’s a dream, I know. Usually actors have time to make this decision, but no, she wants me to decide now or I’m never offered one o’ these ever again. Don’t I need to discuss this with my mom and dad? A thought of moving by myself wouldn’t even cross a sarcastic smile on their faces; they’d laugh and say, “Ha, you wish.”

Denise’s pleading eyes and persuasive tone stood in front of me, mockingly.

“I guess.” I said.

She rose up her head and her mouth shaped into an ‘O’. “You’re not serious.”

“What, do you want me to say no?”

“NO, no! Never! We’ll get to it right now! Oh my god, you are a saviour, Aurora. Do you know that? She pulled out a white card from her Prada snake-skin purse and said, “My card. Call me tomorrow at 8:30 AM sharp. No later. Do it later? Off the job. Got that? Bye now, talk to you in hours. No questions. Discuss with your parents. Once done, call me and we’ll arrange a place and time for you to read and sign the contract. Ta, ta!” She walked off to her Mercedes-Benz and mumbled other things about the new show through her Bluetooth while texting on her sleek, black Blackberry. The clickety-clack of her high heels on the concrete repeated, making the rhythm get stuck in my head.

What happened to the sweet and persuasive Denise? At first I thought she was a fun producer, but apparently not. Where’s her Casting Director? Isn’t that the person who should be stalking me—not her? I don’t ‘do’ Hollywood so, then again, how would I know? She’s strict and business-like. I kind of adore that about her, even though she’s crazy.

I jumped into my black Toyota Corolla and drove out of Roy’s Coffee Palace’s driveway.

:::::://\\::::::

“Heeeey, dad? Mom? Can I talk to you…?” I yelled while walking down the stairs.

“What?” asked my mom from the kitchen, washing dishes.

My dad mumbled, “What?” from the living room while watching How I Met Your Mother, hardly paying attention.

I waited for the sink to turn off, meaning that my mom was finally listening. The house was in a bit of a mess. There were un-matching patterened pillows everywhere on the black leather couches, the laundry basket was in the middle of the living room, next to the table and there was a Chico-Gum candy wrapper on the coffee table. It was weird; the house still smelt fresh--like lemon Pine Sol. The sinked turned off and I began to speak.

“So, so, so---” I started, getting ready. Whenever I’m ready to admit something I speak really fast and say the whole thing. Breathe in, breathe out. “Denise, this producer, was looking at me for like three weeks, because she thought that I would be the best person to play Lana in the huge book series, Everlasting—you know about it right? So, she said I would make one thousand dollars an episode and well—that’s a lot of money, and she wouldn’t take no for an answer, so I said yes…don’t kill me!”

My mom turned off the tap. “Oh my gosh, Aurora, that’s amazing! I can’t even—congratulations, Aurora! I’m not mad, I’m ecstatic!”

My dad looked at me, disapprovingly. “I bet it’s a scam.”

Of course dad would bring that up. “No, no. When there was a red-light, I checked my phone and looked up her name and she produced big movies. Like, you know, that one with the waitress, Sunday, and the Gourmet restaur---”

Sundae Sunday? She produced that? Oh my god, Aurora, you hit it big!” he said. He clapped his hands together and had a huge smile across his face. I never saw my dad as excited as this. Well, Sundae Sunday was one of his favorite movies, so I don’t blame him.

“So, all I know is that I have to call her at eight in the morning tomorrow to arrange a time and date when we’ll be talking about the show and stuff. Beware though; she’s very business-like.” I said, taking note of my mom and dad’s unorganized manner. Our house is clean and neat but as opposed to paperwork and stuff, that’s a landslide. Everything is in one big drawer that’s full of ripped, unfiled papers that we usually never refer to after I scanned everything onto the computer. That was one part of getting a new iMac, my mom had rules, since it was expensive. One of the rules was to scan all the paperwork. Another one, for example, was vacuuming the house every day. Even though it had no relation to the computer, it was a necessity into getting one.

“Remember to wake up at seven-o-clock, so you could prepare your speech and stuff. You’re very slurry with speech—you stutter when you’re nerv—” my mom started.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay. I’m going upstairs. Thanks, anyways.”

“What happened?” My older sister, Sienna, said from behind me, walking down the stairs.

“Aurora got a gig! She’s going to be in the show, Everlasting!” said my mom.

My sister swallowed the air. “You mean, Everlasting? The best book, ever? Please tell me no. You’re not talented enough to take on a role. Who are you? The coffee table?”

I rolled my eyes. I fake coughed and said, “Actually, I’m Lana.”

“Lana!? You can’t be Lana—you’re not pretty enough! Wait, this means your co-star will be playing as Jason. Jason’s supposed to be hot. Real hot. You lucky bast—”

“Language!” I said, smiling triumphantly. “At least I have some talent rather than kissing six boys a day.”

“Ahem! I’m not a slut. I am dedicated to my one and only boyfriend, Bryant.” Sienna said, proud.

Proud because you’re dedicated to your boyfriend---like you’re supposed to be? Well, that’s proud for Sienna. Usually, once she starts a relationship, her date’s brother starts checking out her boobs, and it starts from there. Sienna is beautiful—green eyes, five foot seven and a fresh tan from Sunny Delight. Also, as my ex-boyfriend said, “She has the nicest ass I’ve ever seen and man, look at those racks.” Oh, that’s also the day we broke up.

Bryant? I don’t even want to start. He’s always sweaty, has the most retarded Mohawk, arrogant and is obsessed with Soccer. He always grabs my ‘chest’ when Sienna isn’t there. I guess he’s an eight. On a scale of one to ten, ten being the hottest. He’s muscular. That gives him most of the points. If he was based on personality? Negative one million.

“I guess I’m excited for you. Good job?” she said, mumbling.

I rolled my eyes and ran upstairs, turning on my computer.

I read the Everlasting series once but that was months ago, so I guess I’ll search up on it. I Googled, ‘Everlasting by Mya Monsourri’ and read up on it.

Lana Harness is that girl who you hate. You really want to kill her. She thinks she’s perfect. Newsflash, honey! She’s anything but! Her hottie of a boyfriend, Jason, even hates her. Blonde, blue-eyed and arrogant—what more can you ask for to be a mean girl? Now let’s stop the cliché summary of this beginning. Lana isn’t a vampire and Jason isn’t a werewolf, don’t get too excited. Lana disappears, only for her own purpose to travel to Italy. Everyone at school expects Jason to be a bad boy and travel with her too. Once he finds out where she went, he goes to Italy to find his fake girl to keep his rep. Problems occur and a different Lana begins. Will Jason fall in love with his fake girl or find an Italian guidette? Find out more in Everlasting at your local bookstore.

Memories flew back to me and I smiled at how I loved that book. The other books were amazing too. Oh, Jason. I fell in love with him in the story. I wonder how hot my co-star will be compared to how I imagined Jason. I hope this show won’t disappoint Everlasting fans. I’m so not Lana. I do have blonde hair and blue eyes, but I’m not arrogant and stuck up! Why would Denise pick me? Did she think I was arrogant? Maybe I am like Lana. Thinking I’m perfect but actually really rude. Well, I don’t think I’m perfect, but I don’t think I’m arrogant…I’m usually very modest, I guess.

I logged on to Facebook and clicked on, ‘What’s on your mind?” and updated my status.

Everyone knows Everlasting, riiiiightt? [; Well, let’s just say I ‘auditioned’ to be Lana and…yes, I’m the new Lana!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?! I’m an actress ;)

My notifications blew up and my best friend, Penny, commented seven times with the same wording: “OH MY GOD.” Eighteen more people commented between the next ten minutes, and with their positive and ‘Yeah, right’ remarks, I was in a mood where I was ecstatic and awe-stricken by something I know is true.

My second generation iPhone rang, playing Sexy & I Know It indicating that Penny was calling. She fixed my phone so that whenever she calls, that song plays. Oh, Penny. I answered the phone. “Hey, Penn-ay-nay.”

“First of all; AH, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! Ah! Second of all; don’t call me that ever again. Third of all; you’re kidding. Lana? You don’t act like Lana! You’re the exact opposite of Lana! Well, in the beginning, then Lana turns into—”

“Okay! I know the story. Remember? We were fangirling over Jason for an entire month.” I said. I drew a heart in my left hand with my right, and dazed over my new co-star. I wonder how he looks like.

“You’re so lucky,” Penny said. “You get to co-star with a hottie. Oh my god, I just realized! The publicity people could like, pair you guys up, and you guys could fake date, and oh my god, you’d go to prom with him! You know, like they do in movies?”

“Yeah, Penny, I know,” I said. I brushed my hair to the side while I looked in the mirror. “Penny. Tell me the truth. Do you think I’m pretty enough to play as Lana?”

Penny laughed for three seconds. “You’re kidding, right? Aurora, you’re prettier than Lana! That doesn’t make sense—okay, you are Lana! That means you are as pretty as Lana, because you are her! Aurora, you’re so pretty, you make me so jealous.”

“Penny? The guy-magnet? I’m so not prettier than you. Have you seen yourself?” I said, letting the hairbrush fall onto my vanity.

“I’m pretty, I guess, but Aurora, you’re gorgeous. ‘Kay?” Penny said.

I made a funny sound with my mouth. “Ha,” I said. “Okay, I’ll stop. It’s just—I have the hugest role to take on. Why would the producer pick me? Do you think I’m like Lana—like, in the beginning?”

It sounded like Penny did a spit-take. She laughed continually and I could feel her smiling. “You’re anything but. You’re down-to-earth and wouldn’t do a thing to hurt anybody, not even the most evil. Even if you wanted to kill somebody real bad, you’d end up having a face-to-face talk of not being nice. You’re as gentle as a dandelion puff but as strong as a cactus. Ha, look at me, comparing things. With plants. Man, I really have to go to therapy.”

I laughed. “You don’t have to go to therapy, you need to!”

“Ha, ha. Real funny.” Penny said, her mom yelling in the background. “Ooh, got to go, Aurora, mashed potatoes and steak for dinner. I’ll pick it up and bring it to my room. I’ll call you back, is that okay?”

“Actually…I’m just going to chill for a while. I’ll text you later.” I responded, fitting my toes into my fuzzy frog slippers.

“Okay, I’ll keep my phone on.” Penny said. The dial-tone started to sing, and I turned off my phone.

Lana. Aurora. Lana. Aurora. Lana. Aurora. Wait…I see a pattern. Lana and Aurora? L and A. L.A. I forgot to tell my parents about moving. Kill me.

Written by: Elle Dosebenna.

Read, Comment, Vote, Fan? LOVE YA!

Continue Reading