Anything For Rachel

By Shelby_Painter

***Sequel to 'Roses for Rachel'*** Everything has changed, and the stakes are twice as high. Rachel's story c... More

Casting
Five years, five months, two weeks, four days; 47,832 hours
Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Calvin.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Calvin.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Calvin.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Calvin
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Calvin.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty One.
Chapter Twenty Two.
Chapter Twenty Three.
Chapter Twenty Four.
Q&A!!!!!
Calvin.
Chapter Twenty Five.
Chapter Twenty Six.
Chapter Twenty Seven.
Chapter Twenty Eight.
Chapter Twenty Nine.
Calvin.
Chapter Thirty.
Calvin.
Chapter Thirty One.
Chapter Thirty Two.
Chapter Thirty Three.
Chapter Thirty Four.
Chapter Thirty Five.
Chapter Thirty Six.
Chapter Thirty Eight.
Chapter Thirty Nine.
Chapter Forty.
Epilogue.
Author's Note
Forever for Rose
New story available!
Rachel series lovers! Please read!

Chapter Thirty Seven.

64.1K 3.6K 256
By Shelby_Painter

So dark. I hate the dark. I always have, so why am I here? What is that feeling? It's all over my body, burning in my veins, tearing me apart, or maybe freezing my blood into solid stone inside of me, making me ache. I don't know what's happening. I'm conscious. I was just with Calvin, and now I'm here. My body seems to fall away from me, I'm nothing but thoughts anymore, yet pain is still in them. How can I hurt without a body? It didn't make sense, but that didn't stop the freezing pain from turning to the pain of being burned alive or pressed with a trillion red hot coals over and over. My mind is coming and going. I remember Calvin was here. Calvin was with me, kissing me, and then...The bite. That's right, he bit me. God, it hurt, but then I was here. I can't feel him anymore and that terrifies me. I can't feel me either. Did something go wrong? Oh, god. Did he accidently kill me? Was the bite too much for him? "Calvin?" I try to call to him, but I know it wasn't loud enough. "Calvin!"

"Calvin!" My voice, it's real now. It came out of my throat and mouth instead of just echoing around in my head. I noticed how different my voice sounded to me now. I heard the pitch in a new way, every dulcet tone standing out to me in my mind. I realized I have a very modulated voice, even though before I'd assumed my voice too pitchy to be thought attractive.

At the same time as I was thinking of my voice, I was noticing the smell around me. Definitely mildew, and moth balls, and some kind of cheap cleaner that doesn't have nearly enough bleach in it. The smells were weirdly vibrant to me. The sounds were everywhere too. Someone laughing raucously, a TV humming, a man's nasally snores. 

I knew the different sensations all taking place in my mind, none taking a bigger precedent over the other, instead just intermingling and processing through without confusion should have alerted me. I knew my reaction should be fear of what was happening to me and why I was able to think so quickly, but I wasn't afraid. I was too busy immersing myself in it all.

I sensed someone near me, and I knew who it would be. I braced myself, taking a voluntary deep breath that did nothing for me other than make me feel slightly more normal after I realized I hadn't taken a breath in a solid minute and a half. I continued the influx of air, manually filling and then dumping my lungs as I opened my eyes.

The light was brilliant even though it was just a small red and green lamp beside the bed that threw all of the grandiloquent light across the room. Grandiloquent. I didn't even realize I knew how to use that word. I'd seen in in books before, but now it just popped into my mind, eloquently describing the way the warm, brilliant golden light fanned across the sparse and tiny room.

I moved my head slightly, and there he was again. "Rachel?" He whispered my name, his singsong voice like music in my ears. I wanted to hear him repeat my name over and over, and I found that replaying that memory in my mind was much simpler than it should have been; it was like he really was repeating it even though his face was completely still.

"Beautiful." I whispered as I looked up at him. As much as everything else looked, sounded, and smelled different, it was like Calvin couldn't be touched by anything, not even heightened vampire senses.

Holy shit. Is that what this is? Heightened senses? Am I really a vampire now?

"That's funny." He whispered, his eyes playful as he looked down at me, and then I did notice something different. His eyes, those perfect smoky blue eyes that I never dreamed could be more beautiful had little tiny flecks of silver in them right outside of the irises that I'd never seen before. "I was just thinking how beautiful you are." He smiled, the light shimmering off of his pristine teeth. My husband is the most beautiful man in all of creation. I'm certain of it. "How do you feel?" He asked carefully and I sat up slowly.

At least I tried to sit up slowly.

I was upright without even really thinking about it and I nearly knocked my head into his. He laughed, but I felt a little strange. I am still sure I wanted this, but I guess he'd been a little right when he'd said I didn't take the time to think it all through. I never even thought about the speed I'd have now. Now that I remembered though, the temptation to test it out was too strong.

I shot off of the bed and did a lap around the room in a mere second and was back entirely in the exact same spot as if I'd never left it. It was amazing how even when moving so lightning fast I could still pick out every single detail around me.

"I take that as you are feeling well, then?" Calvin chuckled and I wanted to melt in the sound of it.

"I am feeling..." I sighed. "I'm feeling everything." I giggled, covering my mouth with my hands to contain it.

Calvin's smile was infectious. "It can be quite jarring at first." He amended, and then he narrowed his eyes slightly. "That was really fast." He said suddenly.

"What do you mean?" I asked, running my hand through my hair and marveling at how silky it felt.

He looked deep into my eyes and shook his head, smiling slowly. "Most people are in the changing process for hours, to days sometimes." He said.

I raised my eyebrows and shrugged. "How long did I take?" A short moment of panic as I started to think maybe I'd taken weeks or something and missed the entire saving Rose mission.

"Less than twenty five minutes." He told me and he pointed over to the clock even though it didn't mean anything to me since I hadn't even bothered to check the time when we came in here. "You feel ok?" He asked me again. "It obviously worked." He mumbled to himself, furrowing his brows. "You're hearts not beating," As he said it a small panic rose again and I put my hand to my chest until he pulled it down. "Which it isn't supposed to be doing anymore." He laughed then went back to his serious face. "You're awake, and you've got the enhanced speed, and I'm assuming strength too." He smiled. "So I guess that everything went as it should, I've just never heard of someone turning so quickly."

I shrugged it off and grinned at him. "Does it make you feel weird that I'm as strong as you are now?" I asked him and then winked. "You aren't afraid I'll take advantage of you, are you?"

He narrowed his eyes at me and shook his head, holding back his smile. "Eternal life made you cocky, didn't it?" He smirked. "Too bad you still aren't stronger than me."

"And why not?" I countered. "I'm a brand new vampire, shouldn't I be stronger than you?"

Calvin rolled his eyes and sighed. "You read way too much vampire folklore." He told me. "You're stronger than a human for sure, but you aren't stronger than me." He laughed. "You'll still need to pick your battles because each of us have different strength levels depending on what we started with when we were changed, and I'll have you know I was very physically capable before I was turned, so I am positive I can still take you."

I giggled at the thought that popped into my head. "I have a hard time picturing you hitting them gym." I admitted and Calvin burst out laughing with me.

"You still just say whatever comes to your mind, don't you?"

I shrugged. "I guess I do."

"Good." He smiled and I couldn't believe the feelings inside me. Feelings that have no words to describe them, no matter how hard you try or how many dictionaries you search relentlessly. My love for the man who was sitting in front of me wasn't something definable, it was perfection in the truest of forms and I wanted to bathe myself forever more in the warm glow I feel inside of me every time his eyes meet mine. No decision was better made than this one that would keep me with him for the rest of time. My one, my love, my Calvin. "What are you thinking?" He asked me, tapping his finger to the center of my forehead and then trailing it down my cheek to dip it under my chin and tilt my face up as he leaned in and kissed me.

I sighed into it, the feeling of his lips against mine. They weren't cold anymore, they were just the same as me. "Cheesy things." I whispered to him. "I'm forever thinking cheesy things when I'm around you."

He leaned his head against mine and grinned. "At least I'm not the only one." He laughed. "Do you have any idea how much I love you?" He asked.

"As much as I love you." I answered him. "Which is a lot."

"A lot is not nearly a big enough amount." He laughed.

I reached up to hold his face in my hands and I kissed him again quickly. "I know that." I told him. "I love you infinitely, and I know you love me too."

"Forever." He mused, looking awed as he gazed at me. "It's funny, that word has such a different meaning now." He whispered.

"It certainly does." I agreed, holding him tighter and sliding my body closer to his. "I like it though."

Calvin slowly looped an arm behind me and pulled me into him, pressing my body against him and the heat between us, two cold vampires, was sweltering. He kissed me deeply, my lips parting the second he touched me. Not having to stop kissing to take a breath was jarring at first, but then I realized that meant I could just kiss him as long as I wanted and never get tried.

"You know," He whispered as he kissed down my jaw to my neck urgently. "I know I told you that you weren't strong enough, but if you wanted to try to take advantage of me, I wouldn't stop you." He smiled deviously.

"Is that so?" I whispered, but then I noticed the sandpaper feel in my throat. I brought my hand up to my neck and Calvin stopped kissing it and looked at me evenly.

"Maybe something else first, then?" He asked carefully.

My throat was getting drier feeling by the second, tingling with thirst like I'd been in the middle of the desert for twenty years just drying out slowly. It hurt like hell, just like Calvin had said before. It was a rubbing, throbbing, and highly uncomfortable thirst.

"Yes." I nodded, trying to speak as little as possible. Now that I'd acknowledged the pain, it only seemed to grow.

"Wait here." He directed me, getting up from the bed and straightening out his shirt and adjusting his dark pants before rushing to the door. I listened to the sounds of his feet, the quick padding up the hallway before I heard him knock on a door.

Three doors down and I could focus in and hear them. Granted, the hotel had incredibly thin walls, but it was still an amazing feat.

I listened as Pedro and Calvin exchanged quick info. They were ready with their plan, and Calvin wanted to get the blood from Logan for me.

Blood. I thought that it would gross me out the first time, but I felt my dry mouth water at the thought of it. When I closed my eyes I could picture Logan, his full veins in his neck pumping that thick blood through him. I wanted to rip into them, taste that sweet crimson liquid and drai-....When my thoughts started to scare me, I thought only of Rose and Calvin. My love for them building inside of my mind and distracting me away from the bloodlust.

To distract myself I focused in on another room, listening to the bad reality TV show and the person laughing along to the drama in two or so rooms the opposite direction, letting my friend's voices fade into the buzz of the background.

Three minutes later and Calvin was back, a big cup in his hands and I was off of the bed, snatching the cup and tossing back the blood like a madwomen in all under two seconds. I felt it run down my throat, easing the ache and throbbing, drenching my body in a warm satisfaction like I hadn't felt before. It was delicious, and I wanted more.

Calvin put his hand on my shoulder gently and led me over to the bed. "I know the urge feels a little overwhelming right now." He told me and I nodded, staring blankly at the red stained empty cup, debating whether or not Calvin would judge me if I started licking at the leftover blood stuck to the sides. "Just wait a few minutes and let that settle into your system. You don't need much to get by, and I actually gave you more than a normal meal is so that you'll be especially full." I couldn't believe what he was saving. That one cup was all I was getting? He must have seen the panic on my face because he turned my head to look at him and he demanded my attention. "Look at me." He whispered. "It's more than enough, just let it settle, and then you'll feel ok again."

I nodded and did as I was told. I stared into his eyes until what he had told me came to be true. I was still willing to drink more, but I could feel that I didn't need it anymore. I felt full enough to not think only of blood and killing but I figured it was a good idea to keep me distracted anyway. "Can I go look at the plans now?" I asked him. "I heard Pedro say they were ready. Can we go soon?"

Calvin laughed at me, shaking his head again. "You are handling everything so well, Rachel." He praised me. "I'm so immensely proud of you." I smiled under his gaze and he stood up, offering me his hand. "Let's go meet with the others and Renard can fill us in on the new plan."

"What about Logan?" I asked nervously as I took his hand.

"You'll be fine." Calvin promised and I followed him into the hallway, finding that this was where the mildew smell was coming from and the awful fluorescent lights weren't doing anything good for the bad shag carpet.

I walked into our room and came face to face with everyone's curious eyes. "I'm fine." I smiled at everyone and they smiled back, Octavia coming over to hug me.

I slowly scanned the faces until I landed on Logan's and he looked up at me warily. I could see his veins pulsing, just as I had imagined, and I could smell him. It was hard to explain, but he just smelled...good. Although I noticed his scent though, it wasn't too hard to push that thought into the back of my busy consciousness. "Thank you." I mouthed to him as I walked over to look at the blueprint and he grinned at me, a big sideways Logan grin.

"A true vampire queen now." Cromley said courtly as he stood from his seat and bowed to me, Renard mimicking the actions.

"It's my honor to serve you, Majesty." He said.

I put a hand on both of their shoulders. "It is my honor to work with you both and I thank you endlessly for everything you both have already done to help us."

"Of course." Renard smiled. "Cromley, want to give our queen the rundown?" He asked him, nudging Cromley playfully and Cromley tried to remain serious but he couldn't help smile at Renard's silliness.

Cromley gathered himself and moved over so that Calvin and I could see the table clearly. "Alright, so here it goes." He smiled. "We will follow Lexton out, staying a few yards back to not tip the men out front off, and when they are off guard because of her arrival, Renard and I will attack these four guards, making space for the rest of you to move through." He explained, moving the pieces of paper with our names on them around. "Once inside, Pedro and Calvin will take out the next four guards while Renard and I move through to take out the next two going around the complex from this direction." He pointed out the left side of the circular compound where two more doors were marked as having guards. "The rest of you will take this direction and take out the guards in this section and we will all meet up in the middle to take out the eight guards on the main room where Rose is being kept." He marked the center room with a big 'X'. "We'll bust in, me, Calvin, Renard, and Pedro pushing though first, pushing out any people inside to either side of the room while you, Octavia, and Lexton move to the back of the room. Anyone who gets in your way, kill them." He smiled. "Locate Rose, and then the three of you guard her while the rest of us fight the rebels. Of course if there's more than we thought, Octavia and Lexton will both need to fight with us, and it will be up to you to protect Rose."

To my human brain, it would have been too much information all at once, but now it was easy to follow and memorize the routes marked, the exact sizes of rooms and passages, the number of people who should be where, and everything else all at once. "I can do it." I said confidently.

Renard grinned at me. "Good, because we are moving out the second the sun sets again." He nodded then he narrowed his eyes and clapped a hand on my shoulder. "Now let me teach you how to kick some rebel vampire ass."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 50 36
(SEQUEL TO OIU) You may think their lives are normal but now with Jacey, the 9 teens find themselves wanted. Relationships will develop, and some peo...
221K 8.6K 32
You may have read stories with the same kind of plot but I have some plot twists here and there in mind, so read on to see what is in store. Rose Ki...
Immortal Love By Jay

Teen Fiction

1.7K 84 42
*Sequel to The Runaway. You don't have to read that book to understand this one.* Skylar Perez is a loud and social girl. Ever since she was small sh...
64.4K 5.7K 36
Being born into a family of the most powerful witches is something Isla felt she would never get used to. There was always something going on, but sh...