Between Gates (The Gate Chron...

By ariel_paiement1

Most people don't believe in magic or mythological creatures, but for Nari Eaton, it's all part of the job de... More

Note
Dedications
Chapter 1: Hired
Chapter 2: Training and Complications
Chapter 3: Opening Up
Chapter 4: Strategy
Chapter 5: Chenn
Chapter 6: Trouble Brews
Chapter 7: Rebellion
Chapter 8: Blackmail
Chapter 9: Tracking
Chapter 10: Missions
Chapter 11: With the Rebels
Chapter 12: New Recruit
Chapter 13: New Friend
Chapter 14: Kallie
Chapter 15: Friends and Love
Chapter 16: Falling Hard
Chapter 17: First Love
Chapter 18: Injury
Chapter 19: Back in the Game
Chapter 20: Picnic
Chapter 21: Failure
Chapter 22: Handing Her Over
Chapter 23: Torment
Chapter 24: Staring At Death
Chapter 25: Salvation and Damnation
Chapter 26: Wakening
Chapter 27: News
Chapter 28: Plots
Chapter 29: Secrets
Chapter 30: Will You Go?
Chapter 31: Escape
Chapter 32: Nearly There
Chapter 33: Destination
Chapter 35: Battles and Defeats
Chapter 36: Victory
Chapter 37: Wedded Bliss
Epilogue
Author's Note
By This Author

Chapter 34: Winning

109 5 17
By ariel_paiement1

“Thanks to you, Nari, we’re winning.” Andrew remarked.

Nari was sitting in her bed. All the excitement of the last week or so had caused her to pass out when she finally reached West Base. Due to this, the doctor had placed her under bed rest.

“That's great! How long do you think it will take before we can defeat them completely?”

“I have no idea, but based on the way we’ve been routing forces, I’m guessing that we’ll win within a month. But you needn’t worry about it. Focus on resting up and getting better.”

“How is Chenn?”

Andrew started to say something, and then he stopped. “He’s well enough.”

Nari eyed him, crossing her arms. “Andrew, what aren’t you telling me? Where is Chenn?”

Andrew sighed. “The doctor said I’m not allowed to upset you.”

“Not telling me upsets me too. Where is Chenn?” Nari's heart pounded, and her hands were suddenly slick with sweat. She glanced away from Andrew, focusing instead on her white sheets, the steel bed frame, the grey walls. Anything but him.

“In jail.” Andrew decided a blunt reply was best.

Being level with Nari accomplished more than lies.

“Why?” Nari’s voice was hard and cold and she looked back at him, eyes glinting. “He went through a lot to help me!”

“Nari, he was with the enemy. I don’t know him that well, and I can’t take any risks. He’s well cared for, fed, and clothed, and he’s getting plenty of stuff to occupy him. He’s got everything he needs or could want.”

“Except his freedom.” Nari’s voice was sharp and her hands clenched, bunching the sheets.

“Except that. But when the war is over, he’ll be given that. I promise.” Andrew tried to appease her.

“Don’t use that conciliatory tone with me, Andrew.” She snapped.

“You shouldn’t be rude to me.” Andrew shot back.

“You locked up a good man. You don't deserve my respect.”

“Nari…” He dropped into the chair beside her bed, taking her hand.

She pulled her hand away, not wanting him to touch her if he was going to lock up the one person she trusted most. "He has important information."

He sighed. "I..."

"Don't! Just... go... away." She gritted her teeth, clenching her hands on the sheets.

“He’s the enemy, Nari. Why would I listen when he’s likely to lie to me?” Andrew protested, raising his hands to ward off her furious glare.

“Because he isn’t going to lie. He risked death to help me, and he’s not going to throw away everything he’s worked hard to accomplish just to tell you lies about how to work the Wand and Scepter. Amory’s gathering his forces. You need to end this war now; Chenn can help you do it!” Nari's voice rose, and she struggled to keep her voice level and polite.

“I’ll talk to him, Nari, alright? You get your rest, and don’t worry about it all.” Andrew stood up, turning to go.

“I’ll worry if I want. Release him, and I won't have to worry.” Nari snapped, her cool demeanor cracking.

“Chenn isn’t in any danger, and he won’t be harmed, Nari. I’m not my brother. I won’t do to Chenn what my brother did to you.” Andrew promised.

Nari didn’t reply.

Andrew sighed, and walked out of her room.  She watched him go, silent and unmoving in her despair. How could Andrew lock Chenn up when he’d done so much for her?

***

Chenn sat in his cell absorbing himself in a book. He’d spent ten years of his life in a cell just like this - bleak and unadorned - and being back in one wasn’t having any good effects on him. Already he felt confined and claustrophobic. He fought hard against the rising panic, but with little success.

The only way he knew to combat it was reading. Fortunately for him, Andrew had been quite willing to give him almost anything he asked for. He was getting plenty of clean water, food, and he had enough books to keep him occupied for a while.

He had a few bright cordless lamps to light up the cell so that it didn't seem dreary or dark like the one in jail had been. But the iron bars and grey interior with its single metal bunk and a small table with two chairs were so similar to the ones he'd had in jail that he might as well be living back there again anyway. It didn't matter that he had light or that Nari had asked Andrew to give him fresh flowers every day to give him something pretty to look it.

Yet he couldn’t focus on any of the things that distracted him from his predicament no matter how hard he tried. He wanted to know how the battle was going. Was Andrew winning now? Or was Amory still winning despite all Chenn’s hard work to be sure he never would?

The door rattled open. Andrew stepped in.

“Nari asked me to talk to you. She said you knew a way that I could end this war now.”

Chenn nodded. “Yeah. But, out of curiosity, why would you listen to me? I thought I was your enemy.” He couldn’t keep the bitterness entirely out of his voice.

Andrew didn’t miss it either. The man rarely missed anything it seemed. “I’m sorry about this, Chenn, but we can’t risk that you’re spying on us or in some way compromising us. This war and its outcome are too important.” He sat down in the chair across from Chenn, who had set down his book, Don Quixote.

“I understand.” Chenn stood up, marking his place in the book he’d been reading.

“I hope that you do. As soon as the war is over, you’ll be released, of course. For now, though, I hope that you’ll not be too upset with our meager hospitality.” Andrew's voice was soft.

“What did you come for, sir?” Chenn didn't want to speak about pleasantries. "Please just get to the point."

But why not spend time speaking about meaningless things? What else would he do other than go back to trying to read his books in this bleak, grey cell? The ones he couldn't focus on anyway? What was the point? At least Andrew was company. No one else visited him.

Andrew sighed. Why did Chenn have to be so hostile? Then again, Andrew had locked him up, so he supposed it made sense that Chenn wouldn’t act in an appreciative or friendly manner. “I came because I wanted you to help me.”

“You’d ask your enemy for help?” Chenn turned to face him, arms crossed, eyes widening.

“Chenn, I don’t believe that you’re my enemy, but I can’t take the risk.” Andrew smiled at Chenn.

Chenn didn't return the smile. “Fine. I’ll tell you. Did you bring the Scepter?”

“Yes.” Andrew pulled it out of his satchel.

Chenn took it from him carefully, and started demonstrating.

***

An hour later, Andrew had learned all Chenn knew how to teach. It was up to him to make use of it.

If he would, Chenn could not say, but he couldn’t change what Andrew would do.

“Thanks, Chenn. I’ll make good use of what you’ve taught me.” Andrew put his hand out for Chenn to shake it.

Chenn didn’t take it though. “You’re welcome.”

Andrew took his hand back. “Chenn, I don’t want to be your enemy. I really don’t. But if you insist on being hostile like this, I’ll have to assume you are my enemy.”

Chenn didn’t reply. He just looked at Andrew calmly.

“I won’t beg, Chenn. If you don’t want to treat me with respect and decency, fine. But I can’t consider you a friend or even neutral if you insist on this behavior.”

“Is there a reason why I shouldn’t treat you this way?” Chenn continued to watch Andrew warily.

“Chenn…”

“Well? I do everything in my physical power to help Nari to bring you what you need, and the only thanks I get is this. You lock me away here, and act like you don’t have a choice. I haven’t done a thing to you, so give me a reason why I should be here.”

“For your safety and for everyone else’s.”

“How is this for my safety?”

“Chenn, we’ll be bringing Amory back here as a captive, and if he sees you around Base, there’s a good chance he’ll try to kill you. He isn’t stable like he was when we were boys. He’s… He’s gone power hungry and crazy. You turned on him, and he hates you anyway based on what you’ve told me, so for your safety, having you locked up down here where he can’t see you is best.”

“Fine. Have it your way. If that’s how you rationalize locking away an innocent man, then fine. Maybe Amory was right about you after all. Maybe you are a monster.” Chenn stood in a widened stance, ready for anything, arms crossed.

“Look, you’ll be released after the war, Chenn. I promise.” Andrew hated seeing Chenn so hostile. He remembered well how happy and easy-going Chenn had seemed in the times when Andrew had seen him. He wished Chenn would go back to that behavior. But he supposed that being locked up would be enough to change anyone, and Chenn had already been locked up once back on Earth for something. Andrew didn't know what because the information was too classified for him to reach it, but he couldn't believe that Chenn was really some sort of evil criminal.

“Released where? The Dark Realms?” Chenn's voice snapped Andrew back into reality.

“I won’ t banish you there so long as you’ll swear fealty to the MBC and to me.” Andrew tried to proffer an olive branch to Chenn, hoping that he would have the good sense to take it. No one deserved to banished to the Dark Realms, a cold, lifeless place where people wandered aimlessly and there was naught but sorrow and nearly eternal darkness.

“So now you’re a king, are you?” Chenn's tone was light, but his eyes were hard.

“No. But I need your solemn oath to serve West Base and the recaptured East Base to be sure that you’ll never try to cause trouble again.” Andrew didn't miss the hostility in Chenn's posture, but he chose to ignore it for the moment. He'd be hostile against those who locked him up too if he was Chenn.

“Fine. You can have it. I’ll do anything to get out of here.” Chenn turned away from Andrew, not wanting him to see the tears springing into his eyes. “I hate this place. You know I was in jail, right? Back on Earth? Of course you do. It was in my file.”

“Yes, I know that, Chenn. Why tell me that?” Andrew asked.

“Do you know why I was in jail?” Chenn rounded on him.

“No. It was too classified for me to reach it.” Andrew said, sitting back down.

“I’ll tell you then, Andrew. It’s because I was accused of killing Nari’s little sister, Hanna.” Chenn said, sitting down across from Andrew.

“What?” Andrew couldn't believe that this gentle, loving young man would ever do such a thing. Especially when it would harm Nari.

“That’s right. It was your brother who sent the thugs who actually killed her. They were trying to kill me, and instead, she died. Do you understand?” Chenn gave him a sad look. “I spent ten years in jail because of it, and Nari hated me even though she didn’t know it was me who did it because I killed the person who meant the most to her. Only I didn’t do it.”

“I ask again, Chenn, why are you telling me this?” Andrew whispered.

“Because I wanted you to know that Nari trusted me even after she knew that I was the one she’d blamed for her sister’s death for so many years. You can trust me too, but you have to give me a chance. Let me prove it to you, Andrew. Give me something to do in this war. I’ll do anything gladly. Just let me leave this cell.” Chenn pleaded, hating himself for doing it, but at the same time, unable to do much else.

Andrew sighed. “Alright, Chenn. I’ll give you a chance. You’ll be on kitchen duty in the mornings and armory duty in the afternoons before you return back here at night. I have to have a guard with you all the time, though, Chenn.”

“I understand.” Chenn whispered.

“So I’ll have one of the guards come get you tomorrow morning. For now, just do whatever in here. Read, I guess.” Andrew waved a hand at the books.

“Thanks.” Chenn said.

“You’re welcome.” Andrew walked out of the cell, and the heavy wooden door slammed behind him.

Chenn sat down on his bunk, and went back to reading. This time, however, he was able to focus better because he knew that he would be leaving this miserable cell during the day at least. It wasn’t complete freedom, but it beat sitting around in this cell, wondering all day how things were going. At least in the kitchen and the armory, he’d be getting some news of what was going on.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

964 161 45
Skye Jones knew the world had been screwed to hell years ago. What she didn't realise is that she would be expected to save it. After five years in a...
407 28 11
The year is 2052. Life for some seems to be fairly normal while others strongly disagree. While the world seems to not have changed at all in the pa...
7.3K 600 49
Ever thought surviving first period and facing her best friend's boyfriend - whom she recently kissed - was going to be the hardest part of her day...
916 342 15
After a worldwide apocalypse, the very few people who survived had moved underground, to form a society known as the Revision, away from the dangers...