Hope Everlasting. [COMPLETED.]

Autorstwa CrazyKindaGurl

Meet Ashlynn Carter; sixteen years old, quiet, bullied at school. Meet Hope Carter; sixteen years old, extrem... Więcej

Prologue-Losing Hope.
Chapter One-Welcome to St Einstein's;Home of all things geek.
Chapter Two-Oh sweet Hell of mine.
Chapter Three-Whispers of Hope.
Chapter Four-Perfect Remorse.
Chapter Five-There is Hope after all.
Chapter Six-Truth and Lies.
Chapter Seven-Hiding from the truth.
Chapter Eight-On the edge.
Chapter Nine-The Secret.
Chapter Ten-Numb.
Chapter Eleven-Riding Shotgun.
Chapter Twelve-Dodgy Dates.
Chapter Thirteen-The Aftermath.
Chapter Fourteen-Happy Halloween.
Chapter Fifteen-Hauntings.
Chapter Sixteen-Interrogation.
Chapter Seventeen-Discoveries.
Chapter Eighteen-Confessions.
Chapter Nineteen-Acceptance.
Chapter Twenty-Grounded.
Chapter Twenty One-Captivated.
Chapter Twenty Two-Lost.
Chapter Twenty Three-Calling.
Chapter Twenty Four-The Victims of Demon's Lake.
Chapter Twenty Five-La Hora de la Muerte.
Chapter Twenty Six-Holding on.
Chapter Twenty Seven-Moving.
Chapter Twenty Eight-For the Love of Fury.
Chapter Twenty Nine-The Sick Truth.
Chapter Thirty-Turkey and the Bittersweet Truth.
Chapter Thirty One-Favourite Kind of Pain.
Chapter Thirty Two-The Dance of Death.
Chapter Thirty Three-A Brewing Storm.
Chapter Thirty Four-The Beginning of the End.
Epilogue-Keeping Hope.
A huge thank you from me, and some VERY important information!

Chapter Thirty Five-The Secrets Within.

7.4K 60 16
Autorstwa CrazyKindaGurl

Chapter Thirty Five-The Secrets Within.

Dylan’s P.O.V.

I was shocked. That was the only way I could think to describe it. Paralysed, by the wonderful yet impossible sight in front of me. And it was only when I let her name slip freely from my lips, that I finally realized it was truly real. “Lilith.”

“Hello, Brother,” she replied, smiling slightly. “I missed you.”

I began shaking then, my whole body compulsing with a thousand emotions. Shock. Amazement. Excitement. Grief. Fear. I wasn’t sure how much more I could take. Finally, after what seemed like a million years, I managed, “I missed you, too.”

Even I noticed the strain in my voice, the obvious pain hidden behind it. I realized then, that even after all these years, I’d never given up hope that I might one day see her again. And now I had; in the worst of situations.

“Oh look, weakling finally broke through,” called a voice. I turned, to see a twisted, malicious smile upon Tallulah’s face. Her expression was mirrored by Hope, who seemed to be sneering in a manner that one might associate with Draco Malfoy. If it weren’t for the fact we were in a very dangerous situation, I might have been forced to knock them down a peg or two. I mean, I knew they were dead and all, but they seriously had some issues.

“Broke through? What do you mean?” I turned just in time to see Ashlynn turn to her sister, eyes narrowing sharply.

“Oh, you know. Finally break through and have enough power to come here. To the Land of the Living.”

“We’ve been keeping her out for weeks. Months, even,” Tallulah chimed, in an almost sing song voice. “It wasn’t hard, really. We wanted her to join us, at first. But of course, she changed her mind. Told us she’d stop us getting to her brothers and the moaning, wimpy group of freaks they call their friends, even if it was the last thing she did. Some might even go as far to say she’d die to protect them. Oh, wait...she already is!”

The girl cackled manically then, and Hope joined in. Lilith just stood there, anger clear in her eyes. She’d never exactly been loud and outspoken, but I knew just how strongly this was affecting her.

“I think,” I began in a soft, quiet voice, choosing to ignore the two spirits, “that you owe us an explanation.”

Lilith nodded. “You’re right, I--“

“No!” Cory’s voice echoed around our surroundings, full of power, and anguish. “Don’t you see? She’s part of them! They have this planned, it’s a trap! She did the same to Tabitha; why would she want to help us? If you believe that, dear Brother, then you’re more stupid then you think.”

I could kill him sometimes, I really could. Then again, I might not have to soon; the job might be taken by another.

“No, it wasn’t like that, I promise--“ Lilith began, but she was cut off.

“You!” Ashlynn exclaimed. “You...your voice! It was you, the one that warned me they were going to act! I knew I recognised it from somewhere! Cory, she’s on our side!”

There was a moment of quiet, in which we all seemed to process this information. Eventually, begrudgingly, Cory nodded. “Fine. But you’d better start explaining,” he warned. His tone was low, danger weaved amongst his words.

“Would someone like to explain what the heck is going on here?” Until that moment, I had all but forgotten that it wasn’t just our usual group here. Seth and Sadie still remained; and they were in danger. Then again, it was much too late for that, for regrets. We’d have a chance for that later--if we survived, that was.

“You’ve been hearing them, haven’t you. Both of you--that’s what’s been going on with Beckah, too.” Sadie’s words weren’t phrased as a question--it was a statement, almost an accusation to some degree.

Ashlynn nodded, eyes glistening slightly in the moonlight. “Yes. Yes, we have. We’d have told you, but we couldn’t let you--“

“Ashlynn, please. Don’t worry, don’t even go there.” She nodded in reply, chewing anxiously on her lip. Sadie leaned into Seth, who looked more than confused. The blonde haired girl turned to him, mouthing something that looked like ‘I’ll explain later.’

In any other circumstances, I may have laughed. For a brilliant prankster and joker, Seth sure was thick sometimes.

“Please, continue. Just get this out of the way with,” called a voice, almost begging. Rebeckah, who had remained silent up until that moment, was sat upright on the floor, face pale and drawn. Under the moonlight, she looked even worse than she had previously, even when she was seemingly hours from death. I knew her reasoning behind this--she wanted it over with, quickly. For someone who had been spiralling slowly down to her eventual death, this was agony. She knew she was going to die, either way; it was almost a relief.

“Go on, Lilith,” I prompted quietly.

“Okay.” She took a deep breath, closing her eyes for a moment. I looked at her then, I mean really looked at her. She didn’t look much different to Tabitha, which sort of made sense. But ironically, Lilith seemed to look more alive than her pale, broke twin sister. Her dark brown, almost black hair trailed down her shoulders, skin the colour of ivory. There was no trace of life, no beginning of a blush upon her face. A long, white and flowing dress gave her an almost more ghostly quality, giving the impression of a corpse on the day of their funeral. After all of these years, I’d never imagined I’d get to see her again; dead, or alive.

“I’m not sure where to start,” she admitted, biting on her lip, a strong reminder of just how young and vulnerable she really was. She’d been through a lot and that always made one stronger, but she was still very childlike in her manner.

“How about how you died?” Ashlynn prompted, smiling encouragingly. My heart gave a small pang, marvelling at her kindness; only she could make such a morbid topic sound so light.

Lilith nodded, clearly grateful. “Well, as you know I--“

“Excuse me? Have you forgotten something? We’re trying to perform an exorcism here! Do you really think we’ll just sit there and listen to the tragic story of how you died? You’re more stupid than I first thought.”

Never, in all the time I’d spent unravelling this mystery, had I felt so much hatred for Hope. In that moment, if she were alive, I’d have come near killing her, I swear.

“Let me speak first,” Lilith ordered. “Let me speak, and you get the girls.”

I watched as a million emotions crossed Ashlynn’s face. Hurt. Betrayal. Fear. Yet somehow, she managed to hold it all together.

I was still dubious how I was, really. Here was my dead sister, someone I was more than pleased to see. Yet now, she’d betrayed us. Or had she? I was doubtful--why spin us all those lies, only to do this? Surely she’d have just gone with it straight away? As stupid and unlikely as it were, I was not quite so sure. Somehow, a part of me knew that if Lilith was doing this, she was doing it for a reason.

I just wished I knew what that reason was.

“Okay, this could work,” Tallulah replied, triumph written in her smirk. “Carry on, then. We haven’t got all day.”

Lilith nodded. And then, she began to speak. “It was our Father. He took me, kidnapped me. Bound, blindfolded and gagged, I was chucked into the back of a car. And when I could see again, we were here. He told me he was sorry, that it had to be done. That one day, his family would benefit from it. It was a sacrifice he had to make, and he was just doing it because he loved them. He spoke as though I wasn’t a part of it, as though I never existed as a McKinnon. I was young, terrified and confused. And then, without another word, he pushed me in the lake.” She paused, drawing in a deep breath, as though it hurt to remember. “I couldn’t swim well, but even if I could, it would be no good. I was tied up, and gagged too; it made it impossible to breath. I was panicking, battling right until the last second. And then, just like that, it ended.”

As Lilith paused again, a silence even more deathly than the spirits in front of us swept over the group. Numb, that was how I felt; as though the cold water that had surely engulfed my sister all those years ago had crashed over me now, making both body and mind freeze. It was Cory, who spoke first.

“That bastard!” he exclaimed, fury in his eyes. “He better hope I don’t survive. Because if I do, I’m going to find him. And when I do, I’ll kill him. I’ll kill him!”

“Cory, please!” A desperate Ashlynn ran to him, hand on his arm. “Calm down, you just need to calm down.”

“How can you say that? My own Father killed our sister!”

“I know, I know. But there’s time for that later; you need to focus, relax. You need to keep your strength. For me, please.”

As chocolate eyes met hazel, I knew she had won. Ashlynn was, to this day, the only one who could calm Cory, the only one who could truly understand him.

“Carry on,” he replied, in a tight, strained voice.

“What happened after you...you know. Where did you go?” I asked, intrigued. It wasn’t everyday you got to speak to a dead person, after all.

“I don’t remember much,” Lilith replied in a weak, trembling voice. “I can’t tell you where I was; I couldn’t explain it if I tried. All I remember is white light...a lot of it. And a girl. A woman, almost. Can’t have been much older than you, Ashlynn.” She paused, examining the red haired girl. “Her name was Elise. She’d died years ago, more than she cared to admit. Sometime within the fourteenth century, I believe.”

“How did she die?” Ashlynn asked, eyes on me, as though trying to work out how I was feeling. The truth was, I didn’t know myself. I wouldn’t allow myself time to think about it, not yet. I’d just let the mask I had more than perfected by now take effect, show nothing to nobody.

“I think you already know the answer to that,” Lilith replied. “Here, in Demon’s Lake. Except, this was different. She didn’t fall in, or even get pushed by anyone. She was on trial here, for a terrible crime. One of the worst you could commit, back in those days.”

“Treason?” Cory asked, but immediately Ashlynn shook her head beside him.

“No, too early,” she murmured. Of course, she would know, considering she was perfect at everything.

“You’re right--it wasn’t treason. It was something stupid, something people wouldn’t even believe in these days.” Lilith turned then, meeting my gaze. “Witch hunting.”

Understanding washed over me, and I nodded. That made a lot of sense.

“Back in those days, they believed that there were witches, people of Satan. Apparently it was awful; they lived in a society full of church propaganda. Nothing could be done, without the church trying to judge it in some way. They believed that the best way to find out if someone was a witch, was to put them in water. If they didn’t drown, then they were guilty and were burnt. If they did...well, they died anyway. Called Trial of Order, or something--“

“Trial of Ordeal,” Ashlynn corrected. “The act of doing something to the charged, to see if they were really guilty. They’d put someone’s hand in boiling water, for example. If the wounds weren’t gone within three days, it was supposed to mean you were guilty. If God hadn’t healed you, then you weren’t worthy and therefore must have done the crime. Fire and water, as Lilith said, are very common examples of this.” She bit her lip then, looking a little sheepish. “Sorry. Salem Witch Trials is one of the topics I’ll study when I do History at college, in the fall. I sort of read up on it,” she informed weakly. “Sorry, carry on.”

I smiled slightly--of course, if anyone could still sound like they swallowed a textbook in a situation like this, it’d be Ashlynn.

“Yes, that,” Lilith continued. “Elise had two sisters; Ellen, who was her twin, and Victoria, who was two years her junior. They turned her in, you see. They were frightened, terrified they were somehow going to get caught up in it all. By turning their sister in, they thought it would save them; a red herring, almost. It didn’t work. Now, Elise was a witch but still, she drowned. Seems they didn’t get it quite right, saying that witches would survive. They had no means to save themselves, in that situation. And so began the legend of Demon’s Lake. She’d made preparations, Elise. She wasn’t stupid; witches and even ordinary people were dying every day. She made it possible, for her to communicate with the Land of the Living. She possessed Ellen, made her think she was mad. Played with her. With both parents dead, Ellen and Victoria were all alone. And one day, Elise went a step too far. She made Ellen kill the only sister that remained. Eventually though, it got too much. Ellen took her own life, too. But Elise didn’t stop there. Every year, for an extremely long time, for many centuries now, she has greeted the victims. Told them their proposition. Many refused at first, but came around. Some, like me, agreed straight away. She wasn’t done; not only had she harmed her own sisters, but now others too. Revenge was sweet, for her.”

“And that makes you proud, does it? To have agreed straight away? Do you know what you did, Lilith? To our Mom and Aunt, to Tabitha, to Dylan...to me? You should be disgusted,” Cory spat.

“Cory, that’s out of order--“ I began, but was cut off by Lilith holding up a hand.

“No, he’s right. I should be ashamed. But don’t judge me, before you know the whole story. Tabitha wasn’t--isn’t--the person you think. She did things, things you couldn’t even imagine...” The girl shuddered, clearly lost in horrific memories.

“Tell us, then,” Ashlynn said softly. “Tell us what she did.”

“I...I can’t. I can’t tell you, but...I can show you.” She looked up, clearly having an idea. “Come with me, and you shall see. But please, don’t judge me, nor her, when you see it.”

A quick nod from all around was all it took, before she reached out towards us. There was a flash of white light, and just like that, everything disappeared.

Ashlynn’s P.O.V.

I was confused. Completely, utterly confused. There was so much information I had to digest, so many thoughts whirling around and around in my head. And now, I seemed to be in a vast void of...nothingness.

All I could see was light, and I actually wondered for a moment if I was dead. After all, wasn’t this what Lilith had described? Yet a part of me knew, that I wasn’t dead...yet. I felt too...alive to be dead, which sounded ridiculous I knew. Eventually, a scene began to appear in front of me. I squinted, trying to concentrate, and when I did, I frowned at what I saw. Gulping, I began to watch...

We were back in the house, the place I had recently learnt to call my own. I’d been more than comfortable here, I realized. More comfortable than I had in my own house, perhaps. It was almost warming, to know I was here; even though it couldn’t be real, had to be an illusion of some sort, I felt safe here.

Yet, there were slight differences, I noted. Different pictures hanging on the walls, furniture in different places. I could only decipher from that then, that this scene happened years ago. Things were older, less modern. I was in the McKinnon household; where everyone was alive.

My suspicions were confirmed, as I caught sight of something in front of me. I couldn’t help but grin, watching the group. A much younger Dylan, right on the brink of his teenage years, and the manhood that came with it, was sat on the kitchen table. Tabitha and Lilith were in front of him, both of their hair damp, in a long plait down their back. They were in pyjamas, happily playing cards. Uno, by the looks of things--I’d always loved that game. True to form, Tabitha was chatting away, while the mirror image that was Lilith just sat there quietly, focusing only on the game.

Too quiet, I thought. Then again, Dylan didn’t seem to notice anything; maybe this truly was how Lilith usually was.

“Uno!” she announced, grinning as she placed a card down. By the time it got to her go again, she had won. “Out!”

“Lily, that’s not fair!” Tabitha whined. “Why did you get to win?”

“Sorry, Tabby,” Lilith muttered quietly.

“You’ve nothing to be sorry for, Lils. Anyway Tabby don’t worry; you both beat me hands down!” Dylan’s exclamation seemed to satisfy both girls, who were grinning by the time they were done. I watched as a figure appeared behind them, standing tall. Hatred bubbled up in me, as I saw who it was. Marcus McKinnon; the scum bag who not only played dirty in business, but also killed his own daughter purposefully. If only I could change things, if only I could jump right in and pull him away... But I couldn’t. I knew that, and I think it was that, most of all, that hurt. There was nothing anyone could do to change things.

“Bed time, girls.”

“I don’t want to!” Tabitha exclaimed instantly, pouting. It was clear to me that she had been brought up in an environment that she very much got what she wanted, all the time. That much was obvious to me. “I want to stay up and play...” She trailed off, looking up at her Father. Her brown eyes were pleading, much like a puppy dog. She’ll be fluttering her eyelashes soon, I thought with a sigh. He was going to give in, I could see it in his face. But as expected, Dylan stepped in.

“You have to go sleep, girls. Else you’ll be tired in the morning, and I’ll have to get a cold bucket of water to wake you up!” he teased, leaning in and tickling Tabitha. She squealed, shaking her head.

“You wouldn’t...,” she began, but stopped as she saw Dylan’s teasing face. “Fine. But I want Cory to tuck me in!”

“You want me to tuck who in?” asked a voice. I might have giggled, in a lighter situation. A fourteen year old Cory really was a sight to see. Tall, gangly, and still amazingly handsome, even at that age.

“Me! You’re the best, you know you’re my favourite!” I expected him to refuse, but instead he grinned, picking her up in a fireman’s lift.

“Come on, then. Say night to everyone.”

A chorus of ‘night’ rang through the house, and Dylan turned to Lilith. “You okay, Lils?” he asked, frowning slightly. “You look tired. Have a nightmare again?”

Timidly, she nodded. “Mhmm.”

Dylan sighed, running a hand through his hair. “I told you, wake me up. I won’t mind, promise. I’ll make you not be so scared,” he promised. “Okay?”

She nodded, smiling slightly. “Thanks, Dyl.”

“Anytime. Now, let’s get you into bed.”

I watched as they went about their routine, Dylan tucking Lilith into bed next to her already snuggled up Tabitha. Goodnights and signs of affection were given, before he left the room. Then, the scene changed.

It was dark, the moon our only source of light. We were still in the twins’ bedroom, but a lot of time had passed; a Disney Princess alarm clock informed me that it was a little past Midnight. You’d think that the girls were awake, but I knew better. Lilith was curled up, facing away from her sister. Her eyes were wide, clearly frightened. Something was going to happen, something bad; I could feel it in the air.

“I know you’re awake, Lilith,” Tabitha informed almost lazily. “You know you can’t hide from me forever.”

The other girl began to shake, a quivering mess. She knew what was coming, that I knew. Clearly, it was something horrific.

The sound of soft footsteps, padding on carpet reached my ears, and I turned to see Tabitha remove herself from the bed. She stood over her sister instead, towering over her. Power was obvious in her body language, and her voice shook with it as she said, “You can’t escape me. You should know better.”

Lilith let a small whimper escape her lips, and I winced. This was almost impossible to watch, especially as I had a sneaking suspicion of what was to come. I just hoped beyond hope, that I was wrong.

“You’ve been a bad girl. I lost, Lilith. You know I don’t like losing. But oh well; you know I’ll win, someday. And you...you will lose everything.” The girl’s eyes squeezed shut then, a few stray tears escaping as she did so. Bracing herself for what was to come, clearly.

I can’t describe what happened, in those next few moments. The amount of emotion I felt was countless. Fear. Horror. Shock. Guilt. More shock. Anger. It was ridiculous. I couldn’t believe someone could so such a thing.

The thing that shocked me most though, wasn’t that. It wasn’t even the terror that shook me, as Tabitha reached into her night gown, pulling out an item that seemed to glitter, the shiny blade catching in the moonlight. It wasn’t even as she went to her sister’s shoulder blade, somewhere that wouldn’t be exposed. Nor was it Lilith’s face, as she bit on her lip, trying to hold back whimpers as she was cut. I could see the scars, see just how many times this had happened before.

No, the one thing that got me was Tabitha. Just Tabitha. The way she remained completely calm, no remorse obvious. The way her face lit up, making her look elated, as she cut her vulnerable sister.

Someone so seemingly innocent, young and naive. Someone that could perform an act of great evil.

She was twisted, sick, and most of all, an inadvertent murderer.

~*~

When I finally came back to reality,  I didn’t know how to feel. I was gasping for air, as though my lungs were being compressed by some unknown entity. How could someone do that, to anyone? Let alone a nine year old girl, doing it to her twin. I just couldn’t comprehend it. Why did she do it? Something just didn’t add up.

Attention, I thought. That one word, once popped into my head, made everything make sense. Even now, their Father was too preoccupied to care for them. I was pretty sure that was the same back then, too. It was obvious that Dylan--and Cory, surprisingly--had been the primary carers for the two girls. Perhaps Tabitha wanted to get caught. At least then, she’d have the undivided attention of her parents, and probably many other officials.

As I glanced around me, my heart plummeted. Sadie was crying softly, being comforted by a pained and almost awkward looking Seth. Rebeckah was looking even more pale, if it were possible. It was Cory and Dylan’s expressions that hit me most, though. I could tell, just by looking, that they blamed themselves. Especially Cory, who seemed to have been closer to Tabitha. Then again, Dylan had doted on Lilith, and he was probably blaming himself for not looking out for her enough, for not realizing something was wrong.

I wanted to comfort them, tell them both they couldn’t have known, that it wasn’t their fault. But the time for that would be later, if we got out of here alive--yeah, right.

I was still doubtful.

“Oh, how tragic. Can we get the girls yet?” Tallulah asked, looking bored.

Lilith shook her head fiercely, very much out of her usual characteristics. “No. I’m not done explaining.”

It was such a simple sentence, yet it shut them both up. “Fine, but get on with it,” Hope replied dryly, rolling her eyes.

Lilith, who was  looking pale and shaken from remembering, nodded. “Okay. Um...I don’t know what to say,” she admitted.

“I can help you there,” Cory said. “I’m still not getting something. How did Da--I mean, Marcus, think he was going to benefit from it?” he asked. I noticed his eyes flickered to me as he spoke, and I gulped. I think I had an idea of what he was thinking, if I were honest.

“He heard about it. Researched into it, after reading an article. And then, that’s where you come in, Ashlynn.” She indicated to me, and I bit anxiously on my lip.

“When you were five or six, and began to hear Hope, your Father took you to get help. Your Mother was told he was a physiatrist person, which really he was. But what he didn’t tell her, was that Dr. Jenkins was a trainee exorcist, in many ways. He had studied the Paranormal at great depth, a wannabe Paraphyscologist or whatever they’re called. Marcus heard about it, got in touch with your Father. And that, is where it began.”

“No,” I whispered softly, brain working ahead. “He couldn’t...he wouldn’t...” I gulped again, searching Lilith’s eyes helplessly. “Please. Tell me he didn’t. My Dad...he’s a good man. He wouldn’t get involved with it...would he?”

Lilith shook her head, smiling sadly. “I could tell you all of that, Ashlynn, but I’d be lying.” Tears began to fill my eyes, as I shook my head.

“No, he can’t have...not my Dad, not my Papa...”

“Do what? I don’t understand!” Cory exclaimed, looking from me to Dylan and back again.

“You’re not the only one,” Seth muttered.

“Our Fathers began to work, investigating. Luckily, they didn’t catch wind of Tallulah. They knew she had died, but didn’t know about Rebeckah. She kept it quiet and in that respect, it’s a good thing.”

The girl looked at Rebeckah, who nodded appreciatively. A shudder ran down my back, a chill that I just couldn’t shake. I was still hoping, praying that my suspicions were wrong. So far, it wasn’t looking likely.

“And so they investigated. The majority of your Father’s time in the office was spent working on this, secretly. They saw it as a business venture, you see; think how much money they could make, just by selling the information to the newspapers! Even more was to be made when selling the idea to professionals, to the world. They could make a fortune. And so, they searched. Finally, they found it. I was watching, the entire time. They realized that those who had been exorcised from a young age, could have it triggered again by a very traumatic event. They were sick, the suggestions they made. Killing your Mother, killing a friend...having you attacked. There were so many, but eventually they found one. An event so traumatic, that there was no way you wouldn’t start hearing Hope again.”

I didn’t need her to continue; I already knew what she was about to say.

“He...he knew, didn’t he? That I was going to be...” I trailed off, gulping. But then, out of nowhere, a voice spoke in my mind. My conscience, talking to me. No. You’re not going to be scared of it, anymore. You’re not staying like this...broken, forever. “He knew I was going to be raped.”

As simple as the sentence was, I knew that something had changed. I had accepted what had happened to me, finally. And I can’t help, even now, to feel more relieved than I could explain. Finally, I’d begun to accept things.

“Raped? Ashlynn...you were raped?” I turned to a tearful Sadie, compassion obvious in her watery blue eyes that somewhat reminded me of my Mother’s. She looked horrified, to put it plainly; absolutely, spine-chillingly horrified.

I nodded, eyes trailing automatically to the ground. I felt slightly uncomfortable now, discussing it out in the open; although I’d obviously told the boys before, it wasn’t something we brought up very much. I’d never discussed it at great lengths, not even in Cory and I’s many intimate, late night chats. He’d once asked, if I thought of it when we were together. If being with a male was too much. But, I assured him I was. My answer was simple, yet logical; he was evil, a twisted mutant to some extent.  Cory on the other hand, was perfect. Pure, beautiful. He was my angel; and he had saved me.

I still couldn’t believe it, though. My Father, the one I could always rely on. The one person I’d trusted for years on end. Never, had I felt safer when I was around him. And then now...now this.

“I’m sorry,” Lilith whispered.

“Don’t be,” I replied. “It’s not your fault that he’s such a...ugh. If only my Mother knew. She’d flip out,” I mused aloud.

“What, you mean what she’d do if you told her your dirty little secret?” called a familiar voice, not unlike myself. My blood boiled, as I turned to face my deceased sister.

“Please Hope, don’t even--“

“Secret? What secret?” Dylan asked, looking at her both like we were aliens. “Tell me,” he added sharply.

“Ashlynn’s pregnant! She’s going to have a baby, and get all fat,” chimed Hope, in a sing song voice.

I was barely aware of my excessive shaking, as I waited for the explosion to begin. The secret, the one thing I’d had been worrying about yet refusing to admit to myself, even if the evidence was all there.

“I knew it,” muttered a voice, in a surprisingly hushed, low tone. “I knew it all fitted, yet I couldn’t be sure...couldn’t even admit it to myself. Oh lord, I’m such an idiot,” Dylan murmured. As I caught his gaze, I instantly felt incredibly guilty. He’d learnt enough tonight, about the true murderer of his sister, about what Tabitha had done... There was one thing for sure; he didn’t need this.

“I-I’m sorry,” I replied, in a choked, faint voice. “I just couldn’t...”

“Don’t be sorry.” Those three words, spoken by the one voice I loved more than anything. Three, simple words, that suddenly made this whole situation a whole lot better.

My gaze met Cory’s, and I gulped. The connection between us was almost visible, a golden thread. It meant one thing to me, and one thing only; hope. And when I said that, I didn’t mean the dead -twin-sister type. I meant the one thing that kept things going, even in the worst of situations.

“You...don’t hate me?” My voice was quiet, almost childlike in nature. I almost felt stupid to ask, yet I couldn’t help myself.

It took Cory a long time to answer, as though he were searching for the right words. “No,” he replied after a while, a nerve jumping in his jaw, showing obvious emotion. “No, I don’t hate you. If anything, I love you more. I just wish you’d...how long? How long have you known?”

His intense brown eyes bore into me, and I bit my lip. “I didn’t, not for sure. I first considered it a while after I was...raped--“ I paused at this to wince, still finding it hard to say the word-- “but I didn’t want to admit it to myself. As it became more and more likely, I just...well, I guess I was in denial.”

He nodded, and I knew, just by looking at their faces, that both he and everyone else understood. Well, almost everyone.

“How very touching,” Tallulah drawled. “Now, let’s get on with it. I think your time is up.”

A collective shiver ran around the group, as we realized just how eminent our death was. I immediately ran to Cory, seeking comfort. He had his arms open before I even reached him.

I didn’t realize I was crying, until a soft hand caught a falling tear. So much emotion was contained in that one, small drop of moisture. All the hurt, anguish and pain from the last few months. Every sob, every smile, every shout. Every heartbeat, in which I fought to stay alive. All the walls of strength that I had built around me, coming tumbling down.

Yet I didn’t care. We had fought, and we had lost. But at least we had each other.

We’d always have each other.

I barely heard Hope, as she called out to Tallulah, “Are we ready?” Nor did I feel it, as the air began to change. I didn’t hear Seth and Sadie’s muttered goodbyes, nor get to see Dylan help a shaken Rebeckah to her feet.

I was still alive, but I didn’t feel it. In a way, I was grateful. This would be over soon. It would be over.

“Wait, stop!”

Now that, I did hear. Pulling away from Cory, I turned to look. Lilith was stood there--or floating, as the case may be--looking more than upset. My heart gave a twinge. So young, so helpless. Been through more than some elderly women, when only a child. She’d fought so much, recently. Fought for us. And now, it was all in vain.

“We had a deal, weakling,” Tallulah growled.

“And we don’t like it when people break them,” added Hope, in the same, menacing voice. It was scary, how they seemed to be so attuned; as though those two were twins, instead.

“I’m not finished explaining,” Lilith replied fiercely. “You’ve done enough, ruined so many lives. This has to stop; tonight.”

“Oh yeah? What makes you any better?” Hope asked. “You did the same, to your sister.”

“And I regret it!” Lilith hissed. “That’s why I’m here. I’m making it right; I’m setting her free. And I’m setting these two free, too.” With a small smile, she indicated myself and Rebeckah. My heart beat sped up; what was she doing?

“Oh really? Well, this is going to be interesting. How do you plan on doing that?” Tallulah asked, sounding vaguely amused.

“I’m going to stop this, once and for all. No more lives will be ruined, nor taken, thanks to Demon’s Lake. The curse will be ended! So tonight, I call on you; Elise, the great witch, the instigator of the curse. You were betrayed, a life taken too soon, and needlessly. Elise, a witch of white magic, converted to the shadows by the sting of betrayal. Make things right, and set them free!”

There was so much power in Lilith’s voice, one that didn’t match her tiny body. It almost seemed to reverberate around us, sending vibrations collectively around the group. For a moment, it seemed like nothing was going to happen. And then, the air changed again.

From that moment on, everything was chaotic. A stream of light, golden sparks weaved into the otherwise white, full of purity, erupted in front of my eyes. A figure was forming, walking towards us. And when she arrived, I gasped.

The girl in front of me was beautiful. As Lilith had described, she was a little older than I.  Blonde waves flew fluidly down her back, her perfect torso dressed in a stunning Victorian style dress. Her face was white, blue eyes contrasting drastically. As her gaze fell on Lilith, she smiled.

“You have done well, child. Very, very well.” If her looks were amazing, it was nothing compared to her voice. Like a chiming of bells, or a finely tuned piano; either way, it was nothing less than perfection. “I wish I could say the same for these two, though.”

In a flash, she was beside the other spirits. More than a head taller than both, she was having an obviously intimidating effect on even Tallulah. As for my sister--although how I could still call her that after all she’d done, I didn’t know--she was virtually a wreck. For the first time, I could see a new emotion flicker across her face; fear.

Hope’s fear gave me hope--now that was an oxymoron and a half.

“Tonight, I’m going to finish what I started. I have learnt a lot, over all these years. Observing the world, and how it works. At the start, I was young and foolish. I had--if possible--even more power when I was dead, than my days in the realm of life. I didn’t know how to control it. But now, I do. I am going to stop this, now. Your sisters will be returned to the land of spirits, where they belong. They can finally move on. One day, so shall I. For now though, I shall remain; greeting the souls of Demon’s Lake. This time though, I will not encourage them, but instead move them away from the world of shadows, a world where Dark Magic is a familiar friend. Tonight, you will be gone.”

There was silence after Elise’s rather empowering yet shocking speech. Then...

“Is this girl serious? Pfft, like she can really take us! It’s just a practical joke!” Despite Tallulah’s words, there was an obvious glint of doubt in her eyes.

“Do not speak to me like that, child!” Elise flew so she were just inches from Tallulah’s face, rage obvious in her own expression. “You will do what is right. You will do what you should have done, all those years ago. You, and your friend, will die.”

And then, Tallulah did something I never expected her to; cry. It didn’t take long and soon, Hope had joined in. Although there were no physical tears, considering they were ghosts and all, it was obvious in their face. My sister was quiet, save a few sniffs. Tallulah however, was sobbing. “I don’t want...I can’t...I don’t want to die! P-please...let me live!”

“My child, you died over twelve years ago. It is time for you to let go, and accept you are no longer alive.” Elise’s voice was the perfect pitch of calm, tranquillity dripping in every note. It was almost impossible to resist her, I decided.

From behind me, I could hear Dylan’s low murmurs of comfort, as a sobbing Rebeckah grieved over her sister’s anguish. Hope and I’s gaze met, and I felt tears fill my own eyes. There was still a connection, even now; one that would never leave.

“I’m sorry, Ashy,” she whispered, sorrow obvious.

“I..don’t be...I can’t...” I never quite got to finish that sentence, though.

Because suddenly, Tallulah’s head had whipped up. I hadn’t caught the last snippet of conversation between her and Elise, but obviously something had changed.

“No! I will not calm down, and I will not go with you! I am supposed to live! I am not supposed to die!” Suddenly, the wind was whipping around us, as her anger picked up.

Elise nodded in our direction, eyes meeting Lilith’s. The young girl looked to her brothers, Dylan in particular. He understood, and so did I.

“Everyone, back in their positions!”

In a flash, I was back where I had started. With Dylan’s help, Rebeckah was quickly standing. A few moments later, and the circle was reformed.

“Let the spirits be gone. Gone from the body of the innocent, into the land of the spirits. Away from the land of life, where living things breath; into the light, where thy doth belong. Away from the innocent, the pure. Away to a new life, somewhere they belong. Allow them, to move on.” Dylan’s voice was shaking with nerves, yet he didn’t let this stop him. As he continued to read from the book we’d prepared, I watched as Lilith moved forward, into the middle.

“Away goes the first, gone a dozen years ago; away goes the second, gone at half a decade. Let them be purified, allow them to--“

Dylan trailed off, a though obviously occurring to him. He looked up at Lilith, meeting her eyes. “Lils?” That one word, was all it took for her to understand. She nodded, biting her lip.

“Let her be free,” she murmured. If she were alive, I’m pretty certain there’d be tears rolling down her cheeks by that point. I knew they were rolling down mine, but I barely noticed. I was too transfixed, nervous by what was going on, and what might happen.

Dylan continued, as though nothing had happened, despite the fact that of course it had. “Free the other, murdered unfairly. Abused by her sister, who she wishes to be free. Free her, free them both; away goes the third, taken too soon.” Credit where credit was due, he was a good improviser; I knew I couldn’t have thought on my feet like that.

“Let them go, to a place where they are safe. Free the victims, of Demon’s Lake; free those captured, by the deceased. Let them be free, let them be free, let them be free!”

The last line was shouted, almost a bellow, shattering the night air like a bullet through glass. Once more the air around us was changing, but this time it was different. This time, I knew it wasn’t something bad about to happen.

Already, I could see the differences. Hope, Lilith and Tallulah were beginning to fade. They were going, moving onto a better life....or death, as the case may be. I gazed at my sister, eyes meeting hers. I didn’t care for the fact I was letting the tears run free, now. Finally, I was getting the closure I’d been looking for, for over a decade.

She was moving on; and so was I.

The light was back, and Elise was going. I didn’t get the chance to say goodbye, to thank her. But once again, I didn’t care. I was focusing on Hope, my sister. The first friend I’d ever had. The one who would last, for my entire life; even if she wasn’t truly here.

Her figure was almost gone now, as she faded away. When it got to the stage that I could just make out her vague outline, I let the floodgates open more. A hand flew to my mouth as I tried to compress the sobs, eyes squeezing shut.

I’d like to say that this is how it ended, the spirits drifting off, with their loved ones close, and getting the closure they desperately needed.

But it wasn’t like that, not at all. It was far from over.

A flash of light. A scream.

My eyes flew open, searching for the source. All I saw was a large, orange beast of a flame, spreading on the old oak tree. The next few moments happened in slow motion, and I watched on in horror, helpless.

I would come to replay this scene in my mind, over and over, for many months.

Could I have done something, changed what happened?

But I couldn’t; because I didn’t. And it had happened, indeed.

I saw Sadie’s face, confusion obvious. I heard Seth’s shout of alarm, the horrified expression upon his face.

And I also saw Tallulah’s expression, just as she faded out completely, a twisted and malicious smirk I had grown to know well in the past few hours.

The burning oak tree fell, squashing all in its path.

She never stood a chance.

A shout, a scream, we all fall down.

And Sadie Mathews was no more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/n: I am actually at a loss as to what to say, if I am honest. I’d be lying to say I don’t have a lump in my throat right now. I just...after all these months, to write and do the final chapter is a major thing, especially considering everything that has happened in my life. I really, really hope that you think I did this justice. Coming on for 23,000 reads later, and you guys are more loyal than ever. For those who have stuck through, I hope you think I gave this the ending you all deserve! Over 7,000 words this chapter, the longest I have ever done. See, I love you. X’D Now, let me sort this out: THERE WILL BE AN EPILOGUE. So you can stop hatin’ on me for a little while. :P

Thank you all so much. I can say that forever, but I’ll save that for my final author’s note. PLEASE let me know what you think! So much love for you all right now.

-CrazyKindaGurl.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

10.2K 906 29
မင်းကိုပိုင်ဆိုင်ခွင့်နဲ့ပတ်သပ်လာရင် ကံကြမ္မာကိုတောင်စိန်ခေါ်ပစ်မယ်ငယ်ငယ်
5.2K 91 11
Yn Swan and her adventure with her mates, the Salvatores, Mikaelsons and the Gerald Tvd x tw x hp Crossover I dont have any rights on the vampire di...
1K 288 56
He picked the call after a ring, and she grew nervous again. She had practiced what to tell him but they weren't coming that moment. "Keila?", he s...
10.3M 38.9K 3
There are moments when you think life is going one way and a major curveball sends you the complete opposite direction. That's me, standing in the ra...