HUMAN

By LovelyLoopyKari

All her life Katrina knew she was a little different and all she wanted was to fit in. But it was harder to a... More

Catch A Falling Star
Chapter ONE
Chapter TWO
Chapter THREE
Chapter FOUR
Chapter FIVE
Chapter SIX
Chapter SEVEN
Chapter EIGHT
Chapter NINE
Chapter ELEVEN
Chapter TWELVE
Chapter THIRTEEN
Chapter FOURTEEN
Chapter FIFTEEN
Chapter SIXTEEN
Chapter SEVENTEEN
Chapter EIGHTEEN
Chapter NINETEEN
Chapter TWENTY
Chapter TWENTY ONE
Chapter TWENTY TWO
Chapter TWENTY THREE
Chapter TWENTY FOUR
Chapter TWENTY FIVE
Chapter TWENTY SIX
Chapter TWENTY SEVEN
Chapter TWENTY EIGHT
Chapter TWENTY NINE
Chapter THIRTY
Chapter THIRTY ONE

Chapter TEN

8.8K 331 29
By LovelyLoopyKari

Chapter Ten

______________

The week in New York was finally coming to a close. I was going to miss the city, I was going to miss the loud cars and dozen of people fighting their way into the subways. I was going to miss the smells of the shops as they assaulted my nose trying to lure me into them. I was going to miss the way I blended into the crowd, like I was just me for a while.

I wasn't the scared little girl from the small town. I wasn't the girl who need the protection of her family. I didn't have nightmares and I definitely wasn't afraid of the people around me.

But I was. I was all those things and more.

My tears fell down my face when my mother and father greeted me at our gate to travel home together. I was so happy to see them. Of course they wanted to know everything I'd done with my time in the city so I spent the entire plane ride going over every detail.

Mom had been glad that I went to the club fair and already had some interest in joining some. She was even more delighted when I told her about the coffee house around the corner from the dorms that sold the most amazing coffee the city could offer. The taste of the bitter sweet liquid from the cup I had this morning could still be tasted on my tongue.

When the plane landed and we were on route back to my siblings I began to get butterflies in my stomach, would Colin be over? Besides the texting of my daily assignments we haven't conversed since he'd called me almost a full week ago. I hated to admit it but, I missed him more than I should have.

We rounded the corner and turned onto our street. I could feel the excitement bubble up inside me as I saw a couple of cars in the driveway. I didn't see his but that meant very little, he could have gotten a ride.

"Welcome home Kat!" Voices shouted as I walked through the door. Chris and Tommy reached me first, wrapping me in a tight embraces. Hannah's hug was less intense but I could tell that she'd missed me. The guys that Tommy had made friends with were over, Spencer included with Bradley tagging along for Hannah's sake.

"We missed you." Tommy laughed, throwing his arm of my shoulder as he led me over to the group that was in the living room.

"Everyone missed you." Spencer chuckled, "Seriously you are the light source for these people." He gestured to my family, "Even I was a little down that you weren't here."

I bit my lip, "Thanks." I blushed and Chris laughed.

"We got you something." Hannah told me as she pulled out a bag from behind her back. The bag was familiar and I grinned sheepishly as I opened it. Inside was four books that I had contemplated at the store last week, but how had they known? Even Colin wasn't with me when I'd debated getting these, right?

"Thank you." I told them again, my voice getting caught in my throat as I looked over the covers in amazement.

"We figured you'd have read the other one about a dozen times already so new books were in order." Chris teased.

"Thank you guys, this means so much to me." I hugged all of them again.

Looking around the room for the first time I noticed that one person was missing. I felt disappointment flood through me as I double-no triple- checked the faces.

Spencer was watching me carefully, a smirk on his lips and I turned back to Hannah and nodded, struggling to keep up the same excitement that I'd felt earlier. It was harder than I'd thought to act happy.

Hannah told me everything that happened to her over the last week and I pretended to listen. When her voice took on a sad note I listened to her.

"...We don't hang out anymore, not since he started dating her." Hannah said. "Which is weird, he told me he doesn't date, that he was waiting for his mate. Maybe she is his mate." She whispered quietly.

Shaking her head she gave me a small smile, a terribly heartbroken smile. She's was sad that someone had found their mate but that didn't seem like her. Then it hit me.

Colin.

Colin had found his mate, according to my sister, and it wasn't her. Or me. The little hope that I had fought against but decided to build in my chest crushed me. The weight of it made my heart heavy as it beat against my rib cage. I could feel the tears in my already wet eyes and before I could do anything, they fell.

I threw my arms around Hannah and I felt her relieved breath as I hid my face in her hair. "You're going to find him Hannah, it sucks right now. Believe me, I know, but he's going to take away all the pain and love you like you deserve to be." I told her, my voice cracking.

"Don't worry about me Kat." She laughed, "Tell me about the city, did you make any friends? Any cute guys?"

I wiped under my eyes and then pulled out of the hug. I could see everyone watching us while chatting quietly to others. I nodded, my voice hesitated as I opened my mouth to speak. "I got some numbers to join a few clubs." One, but she didn't need to know that.

"Cute?" She asked, her eyebrows rising.

Not nearly as cute as Colin but I didn't bother saying that out loud. My cheeks flushed as I thought about Colin and then nodded, "Obviously."

Hannah squealed and Tommy and Chris narrowed their eyes at me. Spencer's head tilted to the side, his mouth turned down in a frown now.

"I'm going to go upstairs, it's been a long day." I told them as I headed for the stairs, "Thank you all for coming, it means a lot."

I heard them muttering but I ignored it as I ran up the stairs, my breakdown closer to the surface. I'd leaned on Colin to make me feel better, even if it was only a little but I'd felt so attached to him. Too attached by the way I was acting right now.

Morning came faster than I expected and I was way more tired than I have been in a while. My eyes were red and puffy from the crying I had been doing. It didn't feel right to me, Colin being someone else's but there it was, he was. I felt sick to my stomach when I thought about him. It was terrible.

By the time the sun was begining to shine through my window I'd stopped feeling sorry for myself and I got ready for school. Chris was in the hallway when I left my room and his face lit up with a grin, "There you are, I was beginning to think you weren't going to school today."

I gave him a half hearted smile and walked to the stairs, "Hey, is everything alright? You look like you've been-." He started when Tommy opened the door to the bathroom.

"Your turn dude." He called walking into his room while fixing his hair.

Chris was giving me a look of worry and I shook my head, "I'm fine Chris. I just missed being here is all." He nodded but still had worry etched on his face.

I continued down the stairs and made my way into the kitchen where Hannah was playing on her phone. "Wanna ride with Bradley and I?" She asked when she noticed I was in the kitchen too.

"No. I think I'll walk." I shrugged, "Everyone walks in New York. Or takes the subway."

"Lies." She laughed, dragging her hair into a high pony, "If everyone walks why are there so many cars?"

"I'm just going to walk today, but thank you." I told her as I grabbed a granola bar off the counter. "I'll see you at school."

Hiking the strap of my backpack higher I started for the door, I could hear Hannah trailing behind me as her heels clicked on the floor. "Okay, but Bradley missed you just as much as the rest of us." She smirked.

I rolled my eyes and jumped off the porch. A horn blared from a red car as they skidded to a stop in front of the house. Two guys sat in the front, one looked about College age and the other looked like a year younger than Hannah. Bradley waved from the back seat, causing Hannah's smile to widen, but her eyes weren't on him. They were on the younger boy in the front.

"I'll see you later Kat." She called hopping into the red car, not wasting a second they left.

How is it possible for her to move on so quickly? Maybe the whole wolf thing never let you get too attached to anyone who wasn't your mate? I don't know but I envied it at the moment.

The nerves started building in my stomach as I got closer to school, I wanted to see him but I didn't at the same time. It was driving me insane.

I didn't have to wait long to see him once I arrived. He was leaning against the wall with a group of girls surrounding him and Via. His hands were on her waist as they leaned into each other, seeming in their own little world. It was sickening to watch.

Looking away I somehow wanted to cry again, even though I'd thought that I'd been out of tears. "Kat!" I heard my name called from behind me and I was surprised to see Teegan waving at me from her car. I waited for her to make her way to me and she grinned, "Hey, I missed you in gym. I was last for every run we've had. I'm glad you're back."

Smiling I turned back to the school, where my eyes flickered to him again. My heart stuttered in my chest when he was staring at me, a grin dazzling up his handsome face. Gross, he has a girlfriend, a mate.

"Thanks, it's good to be back." I told her when I forced my gaze away from him.

She chatted the entire trip to my locker and then on our way to our classes, when we were at my class I pulled her to a stop. "I've got class Tee, I'll see you at lunch?" I asked, hopeful, but not entirely. I wanted to read some more.

"Of course Kat, See ya." She laughed and started away.

I sighed and went to my seat, where I was so early I was the only one in the room. I took out my notes and reviewed what I already knew.

"Hey, Kitty." I heard him say startled I looked up at him. "How was New York?"

"Hey." I whispered, my blush creeping up on my cheeks. "It was amazing."

He nodded, "Good." He looked around the room before taking the seat in front of me and sat so we were face to face. "So tutoring still a go?" He asked, hope in his eyes.

"Sure." I nodded.

His grin was back, "Awesome, so I'll call you tonight and we can go from there."

I gave him another nod, "Oh, I almost forgot." He reached into his backpack and pulled out a stack of papers, "This ought to keep you busy for a night or two." He smirked, adding a wink when my eyes met his.

"Thanks Colin. This means a lot to me." I've said that a lot, but they true did mean a lot.

He kept his grin in place when people started to file in as he got up to go to his seat across the room. Spencer came in and told him something to make them both laugh. I picked up the pile of papers and shoved them into my backpack.

I didn't really miss much at school, nothing that I couldn't figure out myself anyway. I felt better as the day went and the less classes I had for the day. At lunch I was comforted by the fact that I only had gym and a free period to go. Teegan smiled at me when I slid into my usual seat at the table and pulled out my book. Teegan laughed but looked through her phone, we talked very little but it was comfortable. We were easy friends.

Gym took longer than normal, I guess a week off really messes with a person's head.

When school had let out I slowly made my way to the lot, where I was going to wait for my brothers. I pulled out several pages of homework and started working at once. Getting caught up in the work I didn't noticed the two figures standing in front of me minutes later.

"It's about time you noticed." Colin laughed as he watched me.

Spencer smirked, "You should do something other than working on homework."

I rolled my eyes, "I was just gone for a week, if any time I'd need to work on homework, it's now."

"True." He shrugged.

"Hey, babe." Via bounced down the stairs, her hair flowing behind her. Colin's eyes flickered to her and he smiled.

"Ready?" He asked as she grabbed his arm. I watched them for a long moment and then I forced myself to look away. Spencer was still there, looking at me knowingly. Great.

I sighed and put my things away, ignoring his stare. "Need a ride?"

"No." I told him annoyed. "My brothers.."

"They went running, they asked me to join them but I've gotta do something." His lips turned into a frown. "So a ride?"

I really didn't want to ride in a car with him. I didn't want him to ask me questions and I didn't want to confirm what he already thought he knew. But my feet were killing me after gym and the whole missing it for a week. I sighed and heaved myself off the step and he smirked when I stared at him expectantly.

"Fine." I hissed.

"This way." He laughed, leading me to his car.

"Ow." I groaned quietly from the blisters on my feet but he heard me. The blisters were also from the insane amount of walking I'd done in New York, also didn't help that I had to run today in gym.

"Good thing you didn't decide to walk home." He chuckled.

I got into his car and he reached for the radio and turned it down. "I like to listen to my music pretty loud, tho I suppose it's normal for you." He laughed again.

Not responding seemed my best bet. Looking out the window I spotted him. He was leaning up against his car, Via talking with a group of girls that always seemed to follow her. He was glaring in this direction, or it seemed like it. Spencer backed out and drove right past him, waving a little to him as he did. His glare followed the car.

Spencer was going the opposite way to my house. "Spencer." I warned. "I want to go home."

He nodded but didn't turn the car around. "I know but I need your help with something."

I bit my lip, I didn't get a bad feeling from Spencer but I've been wrong before. "What?" I found myself asking.

"My sister, Malia." He told me pulling up to a house on the outskirts of town. It was an average size red house with a well kept yard and beautiful flowers on the windows and like every other house in this small town had the woods in the back yard. "I've tried to protect her from him but it's getting harder. I love my sister Kat and I hate the way she's being treated. Seeing you with your family opened my eyes to see just how bad it is for her."

"I'd love for her to go to school, to have a life outside of this place." He gestured to the house. "Can you, can you talk to her again? She's been different since the party and I think it's because of you."

"Me?" I asked, stunned. I knew from the dinner party that Spencer's father wasn't particularly fond of his daughter but Spencer also acted like he didn't care for her all that much. Was this a trick?

"Yes, please." He pleaded, "Just talk, ten minutes is all I'm asking."

For Malia. I nodded, "Okay."

He let out a breath of relief, "Come on."

The inside of his house was beautiful, it was classic and modern. The house had little personal touches, so it was hard to imagine someone actually living here.

"Spenc." Malia was at the top of the stairs but froze when she saw me. "You came!" She squealed after a moment, excitement on her face as she bounded down the rest of the way.

"I promised you I'd get her to come." He laughed.

I gave him a questioning look and he shrugged with a smirk. "I'll be in the living room." He announced to us moving into the room to our right.

Malia grabbed my hand and pulled me up the brilliantly clean stairs. "I've never had someone visit me before, this is so exciting."

She took me into a room that was covered in pink, the walls, the bed, the curtains and even the giant rug. I froze for a moment and she looked at me cautiously, "Too much?"

"No." I shook my head, "No, it's perfect." I told her and she smiled.

"You think so?" She trilled, "My mom bought everything when I was born. Hasn't really changed much.." She smiled.

"It's beautiful." I assured her again.

She was quiet for a moment, "Well do you want me to paint your nails?" She asked her excitement back in her voice.

I laughed quietly, "Sure."

"We got to go." Spencer was at the door around an hour later, he yanked on my arm to pull me to my feet.

I saw Malia's eyes flash to the clock on her wall and she gulped. I guess her parents were coming home soon. "I'll come again sometime." I promised her. I was all she had, besides her brother.

"Come on." Spencer hissed pulling me down the stairs. "Stay in your room till I get home." He called to the little girl on the landing. She nodded and ran down the hallway, he waited to hear the click of her door before he pulled me out the front. A new car was in the driveway and his chest rumbled.

His hand trailed down to mine and held it tightly. He squeeze it once and I knew I was right, they were his parents. "Don't say anything." He whispered.

"Spenc." His mother spoke, who was a tall and skinny woman with dark red hair that was in loose curls around her face. She smiled warmly at me while her husband glared slightly at our hands. "Who is this?"

"Mom, dad." His teeth ground together. "This is Kat Anderson, her family are the new wolves in the pack." I gave them a little wave.

His dad relaxed, "It's nice to meet you Kat, your mother speaks very highly of you."

"You know my mom?" I asked.

"Yes." He laughed then his face grew curious, "We grew up together, didn't she tell you this used to be her pack before she went on her own?"

"No." I shook my head, "No wonder she knew everyone." Remembering all the times we went out into town when we first moved here and people greeting her by name already. It was strange at the time but I guess now it makes sense.

"She's best friends with my brother's wife." He grinned, "The Reeds."

I nodded. Spencer tugged on my hand, "I have to get her home, her parents will be worried. See you later." He called after them, letting go of my hand I made my way around the car.

"Why is he so mean to your sister if he's not mean to me?" I asked when we were on the road.

"Because," He sighed, "No one in the top of the pack is supposed to be human, my sister wasn't supposed to happen in the first place. He hates her because she came from him. She's weak, so my father is angry with her, not her fault I agree." He growled.

"Plus he doesn't know that you're human." He shook his head again as if clearing a thought, "He doesn't hate humans, just... her."

My heart broke. Malia was so beautiful and happy, she deserves more. "Your mother?" I asked in a quiet voice.

He smiled slightly, yet not reaching his eyes, "She loves her, buys her pretty dresses, does her hair in pretty bows." He nodded, "But even she can't keep the hate my father has for Malia away."

I nodded thoughtfully. "Spencer?"

"Yeah?" He asked pulling into my driveway and cutting the engine.

"Spencer Reed." I said and he smirked.

"We can't all be dashing as my dear cousin."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked him, this was a surprise, they didn't look anything alike.

"You never asked." He shrugged, "Besides this is the first time we've hung out."

"I guess." I sighed and got out. Tommy was on the porch, his arms crossed over his chest with the usual group behind him. "Great." I muttered as I fell into step with Spencer.

Spencer laughed, "Scared of the wolves?"

"Just that one." I told him when we reached a very pissed Tommy. "Hey."

Tommy glared, his eyes flickering between the two of us his anger growing. Colin came up beside him and glared just the same but only at Spencer. I tried to make sense of the two boys in front of me but I couldn't. Well maybe I understood Tommy a little.

"Where were you two?" Tommy growled. Spencer laughed, rubbing his jaw with his hand as he stared at the guys.

Colin raised his eyebrows, "Something funny?" He growled out in a rough voice just like Tommy.

"Okay, okay." I took a step toward them but Spencer pulled me back. A vicious snarl ripped through Colin's lips as he barred his teeth.

Tommy was shaking and Spencer pushed me behind him as he started to back up. I knew what was happening and I didn't want to be near them when it happened. Suddenly where Tommy once stood was a giant black wolf, snarling as he stared at Spencer.

I gasped in horror and I could feel my cheeks wet with tears. "Calm down." Spencer's voice was guarded as he pushed me further back. My eyes flickered from Tommy's to Colin's. He was shaking but when his gaze locked on mine, he stopped. Worry and disappointment flashed through his eyes as he took a step closer to us. I was frozen, I wanted him closer.

Colin's eyes flickered to Spencer's. "I'm good now. Honest." He spoke his voice softer now than before.

"She came over to see Malia." Spencer told him, "I wouldn't try anything with her. I have a mate out there, I have more respect than that." He spoke the first part directly to Colin and the second to Tommy but his eyes flickered back to Colin on the end of the last bit.

Colin's face turned to one of guilt as he looked at the ground. I couldn't bring myself to ask what it was about. Tommy was back with a new set of clothes, he smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, she means alot to me. I don't want her to get hurt again." He spoke softly, doing a quick handshake with Spencer to show how sorry he was. "Thanks for moving her out of the way before, it's just when I think of. . . him or someone doing something like that to her again my vision goes red."

Spencer chuckled and Tommy invited them all into play videogames again. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

235K 8.8K 30
El wanted a simple life.. too bad she ended up mated to Kristen Volkav.
220K 5.1K 41
Finding love isn't easy, falling in love is even harder. Some choose to accept their fate while others choose to deny it. Follow the story about Kenz...
2.8K 200 22
A couple weeks before my wedding some woman I've never met texted me out of the blue saying that she was going to be taking my place as the bride. Wh...
93.2K 2K 46
.............