The Mechanical Crown

By SimonKJones

An explorer, a princess, a slave and a sword. A belief that the world can be better. The Mechanical Crown is... More

Introduction from the author
Survival
Machinery of state
Relics
Cry of the worker
Before the drop
Ring of chalk
Melt
Blind Faith
All seasons end
Appearances
Harbinger
The Ice Runner
Arranging the board
Legacies
The streets
Crossing borders
Things unsaid
The King's Eyes
Staring from the gutters
Factions
Door breaking
Airborne
Convergence
Tip of the spear
The times
In fine company
Chrysalis
Predators
Siege
Curtain Fall
Convictions
Liars and magicians
The north
A means of escape
Questions of fate
Paralysis of time
Restless bones
Misdirection
The dreaming
Crossed trajectories
Festival spirit
Voices from the past
On shaking ground
Lock and key
Conflicts of interest
The descent
Knives
Taking a breath
Fault lines
Rotating the pieces
Lines of communication
Retribution
In pursuit of ghosts
Remnants
Gladiator
Age of impossibility
A fine coat
Zephyr's delivery
The old ways
We used to be dreamers
A day as the outsider
Hour of the wolf
Between the metal trees
Desperate measures
An unwelcome visitor
A view from the stalls
The rules of ambition
A frayed plan
Trail of broken clues
An exercise of desperate powers
Enter the fray
The other side of the coin
Lighting the fuse
The long night
To dare to hope
A taste of death
Through the gates
Ashes of peace
The reluctant catalyst
Crowjun
The past and future threat
Tainted promises
Late warning signs
Leading the lost
The ruptured world
Tangled echoes
Investigations
Matters of trust
The purge
Fantasia
Blue skies
A new truth
Beware of old gods
In search of hope
New alliances
Notes from above the clouds
Lines of inheritance
The ragged edge
The call of power
Tranquility rising
Approaching thunder
Awakenings
The fall
Towards apotheosis
The way forward
Survivors
Traversing neurons
Waiting for gods
The search for Kirya
Regrets of a doomed king
The rules of magic
Hidden consequences
Tumblers falling into place
Deconstructing fate
There must be blood
Triggers
The precursor war
The blackening of Bruckin
Bodies on the line
When the rains come
Sufficiently advanced technology
A homecoming
You can't go back again
The fall of the house of Tellador
After the flames
The last king of Lagonia
The betrayer
Captive thoughts
A new journey
Sailing towards the end
Justice for all
The Long Descent
On the other side of the bars
Sisters
Automation
When the revolution comes
Of gods and monsters
Improvising at the end of the world
Pilgrimage
Facing the past
Climbing the steps
Retirement is for the dead
An expression of violence
All it takes
The Mountain Breaker
The Headland
A word from the author
Acknowledgements
By the same author

The city on the hills

1.6K 156 14
By SimonKJones

There was a throne room in the palace, as opulent as such a space should be and always filled with courtiers, lords and ladies and their myriad entourages and, of course, the king, sat upon his gilded seat and presiding over the proceedings. Behind the throne was an enormous stained glass window, encompassing half the wall and always framing the king in a glow of light from the sky beyond. Meetings were carefully arranged based on the time of day and the height of the sun, timed such that the light would enhance his presence: the late afternoon pouring in, silhouetting the king and making his expressions unreadable; or the morning shards cutting across his jawline at a stern, oblique angle to give weight to his proclamations; or the softening, gentle warmth of an overcast day at noon for when the kingdom required a kinder king.

Positioned around the throne, which sat alone on its dais, were benches and scattered cushions for those accepted into the court. It was a broad and cavernous room, occupying most of its floor, with windows reaching to the outside on three sides. The fourth wall was defined by huge metal doors which led out to the waiting rooms, where a long line of hopeful subjects would be waiting, each anxiously preparing for their fleeting moments with a royal audience.

Past the doors and down the slabs of stone that formed the winding double-staircase were the state rooms on the floor below, while descending again would lead to the entrance hall, library, automata and games rooms. Only court officials and members of the royal family were allowed to move in the opposite direction, ascending past the guards and up the smaller stairs and into the private wings of the palace. Here were the bed chambers and reading rooms and quiet spaces, off limits to all but the most honoured of guests. To be invited into the famous dining hall on the upper floor of the palace was a sought-after statement of prestige and influence, one rarely given and much vied for by the aristocracy and those who aspired to a higher station.

The queen's aviary perched atop the palace, with the rooftop gardens extending out to each of the decorated towers on the five corners of the pentagonal palace. The aviary was small compared to the palace, a tiny bubble of glass and spindly metalwork, but still housed hundreds of birds which fluttered between the trees and leaves of the greenhouse with never a care for predators or the vagaries of the Lagonian weather.

Kirya Tellador stood in the aviary, eyes closed, breathing in the moist air and listening to the birds shrieking and whistling at each other. Clockwork contraptions delivered food to the birds, refilled water in the fountains and even periodically reconfigured the position of some of the trees and branches to provide a varied environment. Moisture was brought up from below and vented into the greenhouse as a fine mist, hissing from thin pipes running the length of the roof. Even surrounded by the racket, it was often the most serene part of her day, providing a few brief moments of solitude and affording her the chance to clear her head of her duties.

Never for long, though. The door to the outside world creaked open. "Princess Kirya," came a clipped voice through the foliage, "your father has requested your presence in court."

Sighing, Kirya opened her eyes, blinking against the late morning sun that streamed in through the aviary's ceiling.

"My sessions are not until this afternoon, Fenris."

The old man pushed his way past ferns, batting away smaller birds which buzzed about him. "I am aware of your calendar, Kirya," he said. "King Guijus perhaps feels he is of sufficient rank to supersede your published itinerary."

"Does he want me to say anything, or just sit there on display?"

Fenris' face remained entirely neutral. "That is not for me to say, my lady."

Kirya smiled. "Of course it isn't," she said, resting an affectionate hand on his chest as she passed. Leaving the aviary through its twin glass doors, she strode across the rooftop, blue dress flowing elegantly in the wind. Past the crenellations at the edge she could see the valley stretching out in all directions and the mountains in the far distance. It was a particularly crisp day, making the mountain ring pop out against the faded sky, the peaks jutting up defiantly. An airship drifted gently against the breeze, making its way to the south-west, probably to collect ice from the glaciers for the royal reserves. Though the view from the palace roof was a beautiful sight, the mountains always left her with a tight, hollow feeling of hopelessness. Knowing what or whom lay beyond them was beyond the power of kings, or the strength of the boldest soldier, or the wit of the wisest builder.

Entering a door in one of the towers, she descended the spiral staircase and emerged into the corridors that ran the length of the private floor. A maid appeared as if by magic from a side door, immediately occupying herself with busily assessing Kirya's clothes, hair and face. Kirya tolerated it, knowing that a single out of place fold in her dress would immediately become the talk of the court for days to come. Sometimes such distractions would be deliberately arranged, but not today.

There were other, less obvious entrances to the throne room than the huge metal doors. It wouldn't do for her to arrive like a commoner begging for a scrap of attention. Instead, she used a door at the side of the room, out of sight in the darker recesses which afforded her the opportunity to assess the situation before those in attendance could judge her in return. She immediately recognised the voice of the self-styled mining baron Theodus Lief, a perennial thorn in her father's side and a man not to underestimate. The royal family had the palace on the hills and the authority to rule, but there were other families and power structures which had carved out their own portions of Lagonia. The king's role was to hold it all together in as peaceable a manner as possible - the valley was not going to get any larger, so there was no way to vent the pressure of the rival powers, meaning that it was cooperation or civil war. Such was the introverted history of Lagonia, a kingdom with a history entirely of its own.

Baron Lief was the worst of the lot. Scheming, bold and uncowed by the royal prerogative, he knew that he wielded influence through his associations with the mining guilds and never hesitated to remind everyone of such. He mostly kept to his territory in the north, with his infrequent appearances in the capital usually heralding political tensions of one sort or another. His weakness was women - not in the usual manner, but due to his rumoured obsession with his late mother. She was said to have been the brains and the brawn of the family and Lief still lived in her ghostly shadow, always more timid in the presence of women than men. Kirya was used to being summoned whenever Lief was attending court, to act as a smothering blanket for his hot bluster.

She approached from behind Lief, catching her father's eye. He sat upon the throne, leaning wearily on one arm, while Lief stood below the dais, clad in the odd mixture of ornamental and functional clothing that was favoured by the leaders of the elite mining guilds.

"I do not feel the request to be to great," Lief was saying. "It is only a small diversion to siphon power from the south and pass it to the Northring. The greater throughput would enable us to double our efforts. In the long run, the city would be the greatest beneficiary."

King Guijus snorted. "To the detriment of the farmers in the south. The valley is not your sole playground, Baron."

Lief stamped his foot like a child. "I talk not of playgrounds," he said, raising his voice, "but of factories!"

"You forget yourself, Baron," the king returned, straightening his posture.

"I forget nothing - send me the fuel and I'll build you a fleet of airships like nothing the world has ever seen. More powerful than the Barrier storms - capable of wiping an entire town from the face of the planet."

Guijus smiled. "And against whom would you use these airships? We have no enemies, no external threats."

Lief took a step backwards. "We must always be cautious of threats from within, my king."

Taking the opportunity to make her presence known, Kirya flowed into the court, touching a hand briefly to Lief's shoulder - he actually flinched - before taking her seat beside her father. "Our subjects are loyal, are they not, Baron Lief?"

He was flustered, suddenly unsure of himself, and clearly angry at her arrival but unable to either express or effectively hide the emotion. "Then use them for exchange, or travel. They would be fast, sturdy."

"We are already satisfied with the airships provided by Thistle and Twine," Kirya said. "There have never been finer vessels."

Lief's face turned red. "Thistle and Twine are plagiarists! They are thieves!"

Guijus got to his feet, standing tall in front of the throne, his weariness suddenly gone. "Baron Lief, command yourself to sense," he said. "To make such accusations in the royal court is tantamount to slander. I am well aware of your feud with your competitors but that sort of ugly competition has no place to be spoken in this palace, or before my daughter."

Many years ago Lief had worked for the Thistle and Twine company, before setting out on his own. He'd long since claimed to anyone who would listen that all their innovations had come from his own ideas. There was a bitterness to the man which Kirya found deeply distasteful.

"I have one question for you," the king intoned. "Can your vessels traverse the mountain ring and pass through the storms?"

There was a silence in the court, as the servants and Lief's entourage paused in anticipation, awaiting an answer. It was the question that came up whenever new airship technology was announced.

Sighing, Lief spread his arms out wide in a resigned gesture. "It is difficult to say without real field tests, but my models do not anticipate that to be likely."

"Then you bring me nothing of substance," the king decided. "Your request is denied. You may revisit this topic twelve months from now and not before."

Opening his mouth as if to retort, Lief then glanced towards Kirya and reconsidered, instead bowing lightly and reluctantly, then turning with an angry flourish and striding towards the main doors. They were opened with careful timing, the steward pulling a lever which triggered the mechanism, prompting the doors to open and fold in on themselves, allowing Lief and his hangers-on to exit without breaking step.

Slowly, tediously, the doors swung shut and reformed their shape once again with a deep rumbling boom which echoed through the hall. Guijus took a step backwards and slumped back down into the throne, raising a hand to his forehead.

"That man," he said, "does nothing for my constitution."

Kirya leaned over and took his hand. "You handled him well, father," she said encouragingly. These days, her father needed all the support he could get. "Lief's a bully, and an ingrate, but he's all talk."

The king harrumphed and placed his other hand on hers. "Yes, I suppose you are correct. If only everyone was as wise as you, my dear. Now, where is your mother?"

Kirya shrugged, then got to her feet. "I've not seen her since breakfast. I think she had business outside the grounds. Pienya went with her."

"I'm sure she did," the king said quietly. "Ah well, business as usual, then." He waved a signal to the steward, who swung open the doors once again and announced the next arrival.

Kirya departed swiftly from the court, exiting through one of the side doors. She'd be back in there that afternoon, dealing with minor details, feuds and offers that were deemed unworthy of the king's attention. There would be the inevitable suitors from noble families, each of which she would have to reject in such a way that they would not lose face. That was her role: it was the one she played, and she would follow it to its conclusion. That was how her life worked, how it had always worked since her earliest memories. One day she would be queen and everything would change - she'd be sat upon the throne, rather than beside it.

Time pulled her slowly towards that dusty, predictable destiny. Those born in the valley lived in the valley and died in the valley. Nothing could change that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

158 33 22
CANELIS FRACHDAL IS WITHOUT A CROWN. When the fight for freedom reaches her territory's shores under Synketros' tyrannical reign, she watches her peo...
3 1 42
In a world where magic and machinery intertwine, Caerus, an outcast and gifted Laresian, embarks on a thrilling journey of self-discovery, friendship...
3.1K 739 71
FOURTH BOOK OF THE CHRONICLES OF FANTASILIA SERIES 𝘈 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘭. 𝘈 𝘣𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘦. 𝘈 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘴𝘵. 𝘈 �...
8.6M 262K 36
(The Trilogy is now complete) This novel was written in 2011 when I was 15 - I'm slowly editing but please forgive misspells , plot holes etc. Any s...