Star Wars: Lightforce

By SuzannahPearce

Since the Battle of Endor, there has been no rest for Leia Organa as she warns the New Republic government of... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47

Prologue

234 6 81
By SuzannahPearce

"Perhaps Senator Organa would like to explain why she requires all these resources at a time when we need to be concentrating funds on restoring the Government?"

A tall Neimoidian in official robes loudly addressed the room, his red eyes shining in his nose-less green face, his body language demanding an answer. He glanced around at the collection of ambassadors and senators gathered in the large room of the Chandrilian central government building as if inviting support for his question.

Leia Organa, Princess and Senator of the New Republic, experienced military leader and diplomat, was not intimidated. While younger than the other council officials present, she had been trained from a very early age for such situations and had long been the Rebel Alliance's most talented ambassador. Her face was expressionless, a mask she wore often while carrying out official duties. It gave nothing away and covered the multitude of emotions that burned below the surface that she was so good at hiding.

"As the esteemed ambassador must surely be aware, the fall of Emperor Palpatine has not signified the end of the war. We have already seen fierce fighting and sustained heavy losses in the battles on Sterdic IV and Naboo, to name just two. I am aware of the importance of maintaining government, but Ambassador San'teefa is in danger of becoming complacent. If we ignore the very real threats posed by the Empire's remaining forces, we will allow them to build strength and all our efforts will be for nothing." Leia kept her voice calm as she delivered her explanation. Without making a show of the fact she was looking, she took note of the ambassadors around the room who nodded in agreement. Some, she knew, would not support her further than the nod if pressed to do so, but that was a negotiation for another day. She was beginning to feel tired. It had been a very long day of similarly fraught meetings. Her robes were beginning to press down on her shoulders and her feet were sore from hours of standing.

San'teefa seemed annoyed that his challenge was not as successful as he had hoped.

"You have already been allowed to keep half the fleet for this purpose, your Highness. These smaller skirmishes are insignificant. The Empire has been crushed, and now it is imperative that we concentrate on government to retain order and rebuild the once lucrative trade routes." he continued.

Cato Neimoidia had once been an opulent world whose trade barons had offered hospitality rivalling the best in the galaxy during the time of the trade federations. Leia was aware that the barons had been particularly keen to assist Emperor Palpatine's rise to power, furthering their own ambitious agendas. As far as she was concerned, traders and businessmen had no place influencing the rule of government; profit and greed always swayed their judgement. People like that received one good dividend and invested it in enterprises like the development of clone armies. Look where that had got everyone. No. It should be kept completely separate. Perhaps San'teefa had such an agenda, which is why he was so aggressive towards her; but she would have to temper her disdain.

"While I understand that encouraging trade is important to the prosperity of the galaxy, the New Republic recalls more ships every day to protect member worlds, spreading my men thin. Protection must also come through actively seeking out the remnants and disbanding them before they can be of threat. I can't do that if my forces are depleted. People's lives are still at great risk, and that must surely take precedence over trade profits" she emphasised, as calmly as she could.

"Senator Organa makes a good point. If the intention of the New Republic is to eventually hand protection of member worlds back to each of us, perhaps it is not necessary to recall ships from the Alliance as quickly as we are." The Senator from the Hosnian system spoke up; a greying man with a face that had seen the strains of the long Imperial regime. He addressed his statement to an older, serene looking woman sitting at one end of the room, rather than to the Neimoidian ambassador. San'teefa took further offence at this, his voice becoming agitated.

"Senator Organa is in danger of warmongering. She has been fighting for so long that perhaps she and her Jedi brother should return to the battle field and leave the political decisions to those with more experience," he said cuttingly, waving a hand in the direction of Luke Skywalker, who was standing behind Leia and out of the main discussion area.

"Her legitimate senate seat was surely lost a long time ago along with the destruction of Alderaan, whose demise was probably caused by its lack of planetary defence. Something she is now suggesting we offer our own planets. And, the Jedi are long gone and can no longer help us."

This last remark hit home, and Leia felt her ire rising. In any other company, she would have reacted, but here she had to remain in control.

Luke didn't move from his position. He remained standing, his arms clasped in front of him inside his Jedi robes with his hood raised. He looked like he was sleeping standing up, but Leia knew he was listening to every word.

"The betrayal and destruction of the Jedi was what led to the imbalance in the Force and in the galaxy." Leia was emphatic. "My brother seeks help only to restore the sacred temples and begin an academy. The future of the galaxy depends on restoring that balance, and the Jedi will help us do that. It is just as important as a fair and democratic political system."

The older woman rose to address the room. Clearly the chair of this meeting, her white robes of office were immaculately presented, her presence peaceful and forceful at the same time.

Leia glanced at Mon Mothma as she began to speak. One of the Alliance's most respected leaders and recently elected First Chancellor of the New Republic, Chandrila was her home planet and centre of the new government, at least for the time being. The wide-held fear of putting power into the hands of a single leader again was a fear Leia shared. When it had been proposed that the seat of galactic government should rotate between member worlds, Chandrila being the first to take up the banner, she had voted in favour. The Chandrilians, like their climate, were temperate people who valued democracy and gave each of their citizens a voice. It was a perfect choice for the start of the new government, laying down good foundations that Leia approved of.

She had tremendous respect for the older woman, whom she had known since she had been introduced to the political arena by her adoptive father, Viceroy Bail Organa, when she was a young girl. She had cometo see her as more than just a leader; a motherly figure from whom Leia had often sought advice as she was growing, both personally and within her political career.

"Leia's credentials and those of her brother are not in question here, ambassador." Mon Mothma stopped Ambassador San'teefa in his tracks, her voice quiet but authoritative. "Nor is her considerable experience up for debate. Alderaan may have been peaceful with no planetary defence systems, but it's security forces were superior. Without it's resources and assistance, there would have been no Rebel Alliance in the first place. Without Luke Skywalker, the Emperor would still be in power, and we would not be having this discussion." She turned to Leia.

"I understand your concerns, Leia. I know that you would not bring this matter to us without due cause. However, I must also be mindful of our promise to return each member world's ships and troops to them so that they may begin rebuilding their defences. Some are insisting this happen sooner rather than later. I am afraid I am not in a position to refuse them after all they have done for us during the war. I will put your case to a few worlds who might be willing to wait."

"Thank you,Chancellor. That's all I can ask," Leia conceded. It was disappointing, but Mon Mothma was, indeed, in a difficult position. It would mean further negotiations with sympathetic leaders to secure alternative funding for ships and resources, which meant, in turn, more meetings like this one. She was exhausted.

The Chancellor adjourned the session after the discussion of several other agenda items that Leia mostly closed her ears to. She left the meeting room followed by Luke, his Jedi robes flowing behind him, giving him a commanding presence. Walking through the wide corridors back to their temporary chambers, she was frustrated. She turned to Luke who still hadn't said a word.

"Warmongering?"Leia asked heatedly. She wasn't really asking a question, rather disbelieving what she had heard. Her eyes were wide with exasperation, and the gesticulation of her hands and the speed of her walk further served to illustrate her annoyance. "Really? Am I warmongering?" This time it was a question.

Luke removed his hood and stopped her walking with a gentle hand on her upper arm.

"Leia, you know that's not true. He was just trying to get to you." He smiled, his gentle blue eyes calming her down.

"Well, it almost worked." She sighed and continued along the corridor, more slowly this time. "It's so frustrating. I had hoped for a better response, but now it seems we will have to make do with what we have. It means more individual and probably protracted negotiations and I just don't want to stay a moment longer."

"You did your best, and that's all you can do. We'll manage. We always manage," Luke reassured her.

She gave him a long look. He was always so patient and conciliatory. She wished he had been with her throughout her teenage years in the Senate, to calm her easily agitated temper.

"What will you do now?" she asked him. "Are you going to stay on here and make use of the archives? Would you like me to stay on and help you?"

"No, that's alright. I've spoken to the people I need to for the moment, and I was going to come back with you, if that's OK. I'd like to spend some time reading through the archive data I already have." Luke sometimes spent hours in the archives on several planets that had good sources of information, such as Chandrila and Coruscant, but it could get a bit mind blowing and often helped to take copies back to his own quarters on the base if simply for a change of scenery.

"Okay, then." Leia continued. "If you have a moment, I'd like you to help me with something," she said.

Luke looked enquiringly at her.

"Oh? What's that?"

"Just something that General Madine brought to my attention. We'll discuss it on the way home." Leia paused by one of the large windows, the view suddenly catching her eye, and gazed out over the lakes of the Galadian State Park in the centre of Hanna City. "It's beautiful here, isn't it?" she said, her mind momentarily transported to another place.

"Yes, it is," he agreed. And a world away from my desert home on Tatooine, he thought.

"One day we might have time to stop and enjoy the beauty in the galaxy." There was longing in her voice.

He put his arm round her shoulder.

"Come on," he said. "Let's go home."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.3K 1.3K 29
They are both "Lost Stars" longing to be found... #REYLO [STAR WARS] [THE FORCE AWAKENS] [THE LAST JEDI] [Spoilers] DISCLAIMER: I DON'T OWN STAR WARS...
1.4K 109 5
Snape love story *Slow burn* Love story of Severus Snape and Ayra Livingston, two best friends. They loved each other from their school days but nev...
62.7K 1K 46
This is my own fanfiction of The Rosewood Chronicles story ( as far as Underconver Princess ) focusing on Lottie and Jamie! I personally ship these t...
1.9K 117 11
Anna Green is just your average teenage bookworm. Not only that, but she is also naturally gifted in martial arts. - But one day, Anna's whole wor...