Calm The Fire

By Inconvenient_Ideal

It is a little known fact that Thorin had come to dislike the race of elves; but perhaps it hasn't always bee... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
Epilogue.

07

4.5K 197 14
By Inconvenient_Ideal

"I think the innkeeper is right," Náriel broke the silence after many minutes. "This rain is not going to stop." Pausing she let out a quiet sniffle. "A never ending storm."

Frowning lightly, Thorin moved from leaning against the bed frame. Looking down at her, he smiled slowly. "Each storm must end."

"Literal or metaphorically speaking there, Thorin?" She asked with a grin as she tilted her head back to look up at him. "The way I see it; it could work both ways."

"Well, if you're going to look so into my words, then I must say at first I meant it in a literal sense." He explained.

She gave a nod, and looked back to the window. "Can I be honest about something?"

"What is it?"

"There is a part of me that wishes that the rain won't let up, and that this storm won't pass."

Taking to twirling some of her damp locks around his fingers, Thorin looked down at her curiously. "What makes you say this?"

"When the rain stops and the storm passes, we'll have to return to the Mountain. Do not get me wrong, I like it there and you know I do. It's just...I don't wish to return, not yet anyway. I mean, I am content and happy here..." Náriel trailed off, "With you," was added a few seconds later in a quieter tone, yet he had heard her fine.

Feeling her shift, Thorin nudged her gently to sit up. Náriel did so and turned to meet his gaze. "Are you unhappy in Erebor?" It was something of a concern and one that he felt niggling away at him in the back of his mind; no matter how many times she denied it.

"No." Náriel answered simply while he placed his arm back around her.

"Then where does your hesitance to return come from?"

His question caused Náriel to grow silent. "I may have had a falling out with my uncle. We've not spoken since our disagreement. When we return, he will be waiting, and if I am to be honest...I really am not in the mood for another moment."

"What did you two disagree with?" Náriel frowned and rolled her eyes up at him. "Oh," Thorin shifted awkwardly and looked around. "It was me."

"It was you," Náriel confirmed. "He merely wished to know why I spend so much time with you is all." Thorin frowned at this, was it truly his business? "He is protective of me." Náriel quickly explained. "So, as such he is apprehensive of any male who pays me attention or spends time with me." Squeezing his hand she smiled, "It is nothing personal. It's just how he is, and how he'll probably always be." Náriel nodded. A part of her was content knowing the last of her words were the truth. Thorin didn't need to know what Thranduil clearly really thought of him.

"I picked up on his protective characteristics already." Thorin nodded slowly. Managing to get one of his hands free from her grasp, he reached up and placed it against her cheek. Slowly he lifted her face up to look at him, there was a sad glint in her eyes. She felt restrained by her uncle, and Thorin could see that, he understood. Despite it all though, there was a small shine of happiness. Suddenly a smile broke out on Náriel's face, leaning forwards she managed to nudge her forehead against his.

Through the sad look in her eyes, the small speck of happiness stemmed from him. He clearly caused her to feel utmost happiness. Just knowing he had the ability to cheer her up caused him to join in with her contagious smiling. Quickly, Náriel gently kissed him, before leaning away. Smiling up at him, she settled to lean against his chest, Thorin merely leaned his head on top of hers, and held onto her.

Thorin let out a quiet sigh, frowning lightly he looked down to Náriel's content form. "May I court you, Náriel?" His question caused her to tense in his arms. Slowly she sat up and turned to look at him. A confused expression was on her face. The confusion slowly ebbed to joy, but then the confusion appeared again. It was clear she was trying to process what he had just asked.

"Sorry?" She eventually said.

Leaning forward, he put his hands on her shoulders and turned her to face him. "You heard." He smiled, Náriel shook her head slowly, this caused whatever confidence he was feeling to slowly dissipate. Slowly his hands ran down her arms, "I apologise," he said awkwardly. He thought it was an obvious question to ask of her. It was clear that he cared for her, and she clearly cared for him in return. The case of courting seemed obvious to him, so he asked. Only he didn't expect silence from her.

"Oh, Thorin," Náriel's quiet voice finally spoke up. She put her hands on his cheeks and lifted his head up to look at her. "Don't look saddened, I am...shocked, that you asked, not offended. Nor am I saying no." She smirked and childishly tapped him on the nose. "I am saying yes." Reaching out slowly she wrapped her arms around him and nudged her head into the crook of his neck. Hearing a quiet clicking noise, Náriel leaned away and looked around confused.

Thorin reached out and picked up one of the small braids in her hair. Tilting her head to the side she looked to the clasp which was at the end. Taking the braid from his grasp, she twirled it in her own. Eyeing up the clasp again she narrowed her eyes thoughtfully at it. "The symbol on this, it is yours?" Náriel asked while flitting her eyes up to look at him quickly. Thorin proudly nodded. "Hm, it's perfect." She scrambled off of the bed, leaping off she landed quietly on the floor. There was a small vanity mirror in the room which she ducked down into to see the new accessory.

Thorin walked slowly over, putting his arms gently around her waist, he leaned his head against hers. "I agree," he said while looking into the mirror too.

Náriel rolled her eyes, putting her hands over his, she leaned back against him. "Now the whole of Middle-earth knows that I am yours." She said mock seriously, but each word she spoke caused him to smile and nod, which caused her to smile too. Patting his hands gently, Thorin got the message and let her go. He turned and watched as she returned to the bed, laying down slowly she seemed to have it in mind to lay and listen to the rain. "Are you coming back? Or do you plan to stand there waiting?" Náriel asked, lifting her head up to look over her shoulder at him. She had a smirk on her lips, she for one, as much as she loved the rain and the storm, thought she may as well wait it out in comfort.

Thorin glanced once more at the window, watched the rain drops, before turning and returning to her side. He laid down, facing her, reaching out he placed a hand to her cheek and watched the smile appear on her face. Her eyes slowly drifted to a close, Thorin laid, listening to the rain hitting the windows as she seemed to go to sleep. She clearly needed to sleep, so he didn't stop her, and in fact he too could feel the gentle lull of sleep calling out to him, it wasn't long before Thorin had gone to sleep too.

Quietly murmuring in her sleep, Náriel frowned lightly and turned and curled more into the pillow she was laying against. Lifting a hand she swatted at her cheek, there was something tickling her. Even in her sleep she let out a quiet tired laugh when the feeling moved to her neck. Squeezing her eyes shut, she slowly opened them and looked up. "What sort of way is that to wake someone up?"

"It worked, did it not?" Thorin countered while readjusting his leaning position against his hand. His other one slowly traced along her jaw.

Náriel just looked at him blankly before slowly rubbing her eyes, trying to rid them of sleep. Frowning lightly, she looked around. "When exactly did I fall asleep?" It was an obvious question which just moved to the forefront of her mind. She hadn't remembered falling asleep. She remembered talking, watching the rain...then nothing.

Thorin rolled his eyes. "Somewhere between you trying to figure out a way to bring the subject of our courtship up in a conversation with your uncle. And then the sudden realisation that you couldn't just bring it up casually. That is when you went to sleep. You looked most disheartened, I must add."

Náriel nodded slowly and rolled onto her back. She looked to the ceiling, placing her hands over her stomach, she frowned. "I went to sleep because of my defeat."

"Perhaps you are thinking too much on this matter?"

Náriel raised an eyebrow and looked up at him. Smiling she reached up, her hand was suddenly lightly grasped onto, "Perhaps you are right, oh wise Prince."

"Perhaps I am." He said sounding rather proud. Bringing her hand up, he kissed her knuckles gently. "Getting away from this subject, because I can see it's worrying you all over again; the rain has stopped."

Náriel looked to the window. Sure enough, the hard rain which was pelting against the glass had disappeared. There were still tracks though where the drops had been, though the rain had stopped, it still didn't look particularly nice outside; there were still dark clouds hanging heavy in the sky. Náriel frowned at this, it was clear it was going to rain again. "We must leave?"

"We've not been asked to leave yet." Thorin answered, "I'm sure the innkeeper knows we've dropped off to sleep."

"You do realise, if you or I were someone else, she'd have barged in here demanding us to leave?"

"I know," Thorin smiled and sat up. Stretching his arms out in front of himself, he looked over his shoulder. Náriel had taken to laying with her eyes shut again. "You can't go back to sleep. Once we are back in the Mountain, then yes, sure. Right here again? No. Come, up you get."

"I don't want to." Náriel said childishly while letting out a quiet huffing and crossing her arms over her chest firmly. Her serious disposition ebbed away though and she was soon laughing and trying to wriggle out of his arms. "Thorin, stop it!" She laughed while trying to swat his hands away. He had tried to pick her up, only he seemed to result in accidentally tickling her. Raising an eyebrow he stopped trying to move her, Náriel caught her breath and playfully reached up to hit him on the shoulder. "There are other ways to move someone." She commented quietly. Getting her breathing back under control, she let out a sigh and nodded slowly. Tilting her head to the side she shook her head slowly, "No, no..." she held her hands in front of her for defence. Laughing, she failed to get out of his arms again. His hold was gentle, but strong like iron. There was no way she was getting away. "You're doing this on purpose now!" She exclaimed while trying to swat and push him away again. The strength behind her attempts at defending herself were weak. All her attention and energy were going towards laughing and wriggling. "Please stop," she said breathlessly while putting her hands on his shoulders and pushing him back. "I can't breath, I honestly can't."

He relented, which caused her to let out a relieved sound, only to turn that relieved sound into a content sigh when his lips pressed against hers. She moved her hands up from his shoulders and tangled her fingers slowly into his hair; it was pointless to try and stop him now. Náriel wasn't weak against many things, tactics of an emotional level that is. But she had quickly discovered that Thorin, and all he does, and him in general, was one main thing she was weak against.

His hands slowly ran down her sides as she fidgeted into the pillows behind her, she pulled him closer, the kiss they were caught in slowed and deepened, trying to not get too lost in the moment Thorin pulled away. She tilted her head to the side and smiled up at him. "Quite the predicament we have here," she said quietly albeit extremely breathless. After all she hadn't regained her breath from being tickled until he had promptly kissed her.

Thorin hummed thoughtfully while tracing a finger down her cheek. "Yes, but not an accidental predicament." He said quietly while leaning down again.

Náriel put a finger to his lips. "You are a most ridiculous dwarf. Come, if I remember rightly it was you who moments ago was hinting at returning back." She commented with a smile. "We should return, in case the rain returns." She stated obviously while running her hands down his arms. "And plus, I'm sure your siblings are up and about. Do you really wish for them to see us like this?" Náriel smirked and let out a laugh when Thorin's expression turned to one of confusion then thought. He was clearly thinking over the jibbing which would no doubt come from Dís if she walked in on them.

So far the rain had held off enough for the small group to exit their temporary safe haven and start their walk back to Erebor. While the rain had held off, the sky was heavily laden with dark grey clouds which at any point could let out their load. Náriel was walking beside Dís, the smaller girl had, for the moment, stopped shooting questions at her. Náriel didn't mind answering curious questions, but they were starting to become a little repetitive. It seemed most of the young girls inquisitive questions loitered around Mirkwood and the journey from there to here, and then of course of the elves themselves.

While the two females walked in silence, hesitantly looking up at the sky praying it wouldn't suddenly darken even more and cold rain fall down and soak them through; Frerin had stepped into line beside his older brother. Thorin was just idly walking, looking around at the puddle filled streets, and the tentative faces which peeked out of the windows. He gave a slight jump when a hand clapped down on his shoulder. Looking to his side, he looked at his brother. Frerin looked at him with a slightly blank yet amused look, which caused him to frown lightly. He didn't know what was going on in the mind of his brother, Thorin found he actually didn't want to know, he looked away and left his brother to whatever he was doing.

"Now," Frerin's voice said after moments of silence. Thorin looked to his brother again upon hearing his voice. "I've not had a chance to get to know this Princess, so I do not know her as well as you." Frerin said while removing his hand from Thorin's shoulder, crossing his arms loosely, Frerin looked to the two females who were walking a little ahead of them. They were both out of earshot so they couldn't hear what he was saying. Thorin just nodded for his brother to continue, it was clear if he voiced anything while Frerin was trying to speak his piece he'd get annoyed from the interruption. "From all that I have seen, she is a kind soul, gentle too, anyone who can put up with Dís's incessant questions is also very patient." At this both brothers looked at each other with a knowing look and nodded slowly. Dís did sometimes have a habit of getting carried away. "What I wanted to say, is that I can see she makes you happy, brother, and I wanted to let you know that I approve." Frerin got to the point eventually after many small breaks and pauses, and ended up smiling lightly at his older brother.

Tilting his head to the side, Thorin looked Frerin over, he wasn't totally sure whether he was telling the truth or not, he could very well have been joking, Thorin wouldn't put it past him. Seeing as how Frerin was being serious, Thorin slowly smiled. It was his turn to reach up and clasp a hand to his brother's shoulder. Frerin tumbled slightly as Thorin pulled him into a spontaneous embrace, "That means a lot, little brother." Frerin patted him on the back and nodded slowly. "Thank you," letting Frerin go the two looked at each other before looking back to Náriel and Dís.

"Dís!" Náriel exclaimed all of a sudden as she held up her hands to try and swat the drops of water away. Dís giggled as she jumped into another puddle, the water of which splashed up and hit against Náriel some more.

"Dís," Thorin said seriously, this just caused Dís to laugh some more before trotting off and jumping into more puddles along the way. He was about to say something else in regards of her splashing in puddles near to Náriel, only Náriel in turn splashed in the puddle before Dís could. The murky rain water went spraying up into the air, and against Dís's legs. She giggled and shook the water off of herself.

"That my dear Dís, was revenge." Náriel smiled and side stepped a puddle which she was eyeing up gleefully. "No," she said as seriously as she could but ended up laughing, "No, no, Dís!" Náriel squealed as the cold water hit against her. Turning tail she ran from the young girl's side and ended up standing in between Frerin and Thorin. She didn't think they'd bring much safety, Náriel wouldn't put it past Dís to jump and splash water at all three of them.

"Hm," Frerin hummed thoughtfully and looked to Náriel. "I give you credit for your attempt just then, Princess." He shook his head, "But I believe I can do one better." At this he ran away from her side and towards his younger sister. Upon seeing her brother charging towards her, she laughed some more and went running off. Frerin's plan was to basically jump in every puddle possible that she was close to, thus splashing water up at her.

"Are you still apprehensive about seeing your uncle?"

Náriel looked up from the ground and looked to Thorin, he as such had been silent so far. "Are you a mind reader by any chance?" She asked interestedly. Shaking her head she looked around and up at the sky, narrowing her eyes at the clouds, she looked back to him with a sidewards glance. "I am." Sighing she crossed her arms loosely. "You see, when it comes to courting and potential suitors, my uncle is very reserved. That is putting the matter quite lightly, you must understand that. But also, you must understand that I am happy, content even, and I do not wish for his interference, any other time sure, but not this time, no thank you." She smiled and looked at him.

Putting an arm around her shoulders, he pulled her closer to him, much gentler than he did with Frerin, Náriel gently bumped against him and looked up at him while putting an arm gently around his back. "Would it lessen the apprehension if I were present? That way I would be able to speak with him as well." Thorin offered, Náriel didn't even need to reply, her expression said it all. From one moment she was calm and lightly smiling up at him, the next her eyes had darkened and she looked heavily in thought.

"I thank you for your offer, Thorin, honestly I do."

"But you wish to speak to him alone?"

"I do, if you don't mind?" She asked cautiously.

Thorin smiled and shook his head, he could understand that. After all this matter seemed to run a little more deeply than just his interest in her, and the other way around. There was clearly something missing out of this equation which involved only Thranduil and Náriel. "I don't mind, if that is what you wish to do, then so be it, just know that I won't be far if you need me."

Náriel smiled warmly and gave a slow nod. That was all she could have hoped to hear right now. Giving a content sigh she looked up at the greying sky. "This has been a wonderful day." She proclaimed easily changing the subject to one of a lighter subject. She looked wistful for a moment, before something went horribly wrong; she misplaced a foot, and she went down. The puddle which she stepped in was shockingly deeper than it appeared, her foot got stuck in the mud and she faltered. She pathetically grasped onto Thorin, yet still collapsed and went down with a disgusting squelching thud.

"Náriel? Náriel?!" Thorin said calmly and then ended up exclaiming her name when she hadn't answered him. "Are you all right?"

Blinking slowly she shut and opened her eyes several more times before opening them again and looking up at him. She slowly started to laugh, quietly at first but it grew in volume. Thorin looked at her oddly, no one else would laugh at this situation he was sure of that. She couldn't honestly believe this though, utterly ridiculous! She could feel the water, and the mud seeping through her dress and undergarments, it was a disgusting feeling. Yet the humorous moment was too much to not laugh over. She was not used to such a track to walk on, there wasn't anything like this back home.

Shaking her head, hearing the mud squelch underneath her, she smiled up at Thorin. "Be careful, if you get too close you will fall too." Náriel said while pushing herself up. She shuddered from the cold which was seeping through her clothes, that felt more disgusting now that she moved fully. Lifting her hands up, she turned them around and looked at her arms. All of her was caked in thick mud. Thick cold mud. Her hair was drenched with water and mud, she shuddered again as she moved the locks of hair off of her neck.

Regardless of her warning, Thorin stepped closer and held out a hand. Náriel looked rather sorry for herself down there in the mud, looking past him, she narrowed her eyes at Frerin. He was sniggering quietly to himself, Thorin shot him a look from over his shoulder. "Oh, we can't take you two anywhere without causing a scene." He said simply with a shrug. He had every so often looked over his shoulder as they left Dale. His expression went slack, he honestly didn't wish to witness his brother and the elf-Princess sharing brief kisses. No thank you, it wasn't what he wanted.

Thorin turned to say something only to quickly swerve out of the way of a clump of mud which had been thrown from behind him. Turning slowly he looked to Náriel, she was still sitting in the mud, only now she looked rather smugly up at the two of them. Frerin wiped his sleeve down his face to remove the mud which had hit him. Thorin had to give Náriel credit, her aim was very precise.

"That isn't fair," Frerin muttered rather sourly.

"What?" Náriel laughed while eventually getting helped to stand again. She flicked mud off of her hands and arms and tried to brush some off of her dress skirts, it didn't go too well, it was still heavily splattered on the material. She looked up at the younger male. "What? It isn't fair how? You cannot retaliate because I am female, or because I'm a Princess?"

"How about both?" Frerin mumbled still sounding rather sour. Letting out a thoughtful noise, he looked up suddenly with a grin. "I may not be able to retaliate to you directly...but that doesn't mean I can't retaliate at all." Frerin smirked and leaned down quickly to grab a handful of mud. His eyes looked towards Thorin, his in turn narrowed.

"You'll get to her through me, is that it?"

"Yes." Frerin admitted.

"You'll regret it." Thorin said simply while still staring at his brother with a serious expression.

"I most likely shall." Frerin already knew that much, he didn't need Thorin to state the blatant obvious. It went silent then, Frerin and Thorin just stared at each other, and Náriel was trying to squeeze mud out of her hair. The three of them were preoccupied with other things that they had temporarily forgotten about Dís. The young female appeared between them all and quickly threw mud at each of them at turn. "Dís!" Both Thorin and Frerin exclaimed, whereas Náriel let out a sad noise, her attempts at removing mud was for nothing.

"That's it," Náriel said while stomping forwards, "Come here!" She charged forwards suddenly with surprising speed considering the mud which was hindering most of their strides. Dís laughed and quickly scampered off with Náriel in turn. Frerin and Thorin exchanged a look, the mud which Frerin was holding got suddenly thrown and he too was soon running manically away from an exclaiming Thorin. "Got you!" Náriel exclaimed while swooping down and tackling Dís, the two tumbled to the ground, Náriel made sure she took most of the impact, she didn't want the girl to get hurt.

Through her giggling Dís managed to swat Náriel's hands away, which were skilfully tickling her sides, Dís laughed loudly and tried to squirm away. Jumping up she playfully nudged Náriel on her shoulder to get her away from herself. Composing her laughter, she knelt and looked to her brothers, who by now were much like herself and Náriel. Náriel frowned and watched them, shaking her head she looked to Dís when she tapped her on the knee. "Yes, little one?"

"Let's get them." She whispered.

Náriel tilted her head to the side, smiling lightly she helped Dís to stand. The two turned and looked at the brothers, exchanging a look they nodded and ran forwards. Frerin let out a sudden cry when Dís had collided with his back and he, as well as his sister, went shuttling slightly through the mud. Thorin pushed himself to kneel and laughed at the two of them, he approved of Dís's tactics there. He looked to the side when Náriel had knelt beside him.

She put a hand on his shoulder and smiled, "I think perhaps we should bring this to an end." She said while using a sparingly clean piece of her sleeve to wipe mud from his face. "As much fun as it is, I do not think we'll get approval from appearing like this, or worse."

"She has a point," Frerin said while sitting up, Dís had tackled him to his back, he flicked mud from his face and picked his sister up and put her in his lap.

"Father and grandfather may have a few words to say," she said quietly and thoughtfully.

"Do not worry," Frerin looked at his sister and ruffled her muddied hair. "We'll be fine."

(Re-edited: 24/Oct/2023)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 109 33
Maybe there always wasn't such a disdain and hate between the race of Elves and Dwarves. Edith is Elrond's niece both her parents were deceased; her...
314K 11.8K 22
"You talk too much elf-boy," Arya muttered, her voice hoarse from all the screaming she had done due to the pain of her injuries. Legolas scrunched u...
5.7K 243 34
Thorin Oakenshield has a guardian angel of sorts, only he doesn't know it. Yet. After breaking up a fight between Thorin and another man, Seren Gilw...
12.2K 455 50
It is as though Ilwien seeks out trouble with the hope that, among it, she might find adventure, too. But one day, it is a dwarf they call Thorin Oak...