The Duke and the Deal

By __lizamatthews

"She was a rare beauty that he couldn't resist." "He was a handsome devil that she couldn't avoid." *... More

00. Introduction
01. Attending the Grand Ball
03. Caught and the Announcement
04. The Proposal
05. Stranger
06. The Deal
07. Maids and a Dark Red Rose
08. The Contract and Wedding Gown
09. Mixed Emotions
10. Pride or Die?
11. Battling Conscience
12. The Engagement Party
13. Intense Encounters and The Rauffes
14. Wedding Day Aftermath
15. Lola and Amos
Author's Update

02. Duke of Westland

6.5K 336 110
By __lizamatthews

~ Revised and Edited ~

Ella had remembered Naomi's description of the oh mighty and handsome Duke. 

Mighty and handsome doesn't begin to describe him Ella. He is a dream beyond compare. A chilling wave upon the summer shore that would leave you breathless. His eyes captivating...

And that's how it went for Ella who reluctantly continued to listen to her sister's breathless illustrations of the Duke. 

Ella only wanted to stuff her ears with cotton and her sister's mouth with cotton too so she wouldn't have to hear another word about the Duke. 

But as much as she wanted to, it was inevitable because it struck Ella at that moment that Naomi's illustrations of the Duke may have been all too accurate. Almost too accurate. 

From her little corner at the refreshment table, Ella gazed at the figure who dominated the entire ballroom.

The Duke of Westland - Amos Knight - had finally made his grand appearance. 

Tall, daring and powerful. That was all Ella could make out from the dominating figure but it was enough for her to decide that she would stay as far away as possible from this figure tonight. 

Amos, on the other hand, had only one goal: find a wife. 

After sweeping a cool gaze across the ballroom that had fell silent as soon as the Duke had made his appearance, Amos began to descend from the staircase. As if a signal, the music began once again and most of the crowd continued with what they were doing. Most who were men, of course. 

Ella, along with the eagerly awaiting female eyes, continued to follow the Duke as he descended. 

With each step he made, Ella felt a tingling sensation dance about her skin. It felt like his steps emanated a powerful pressure that spread across the ballroom leaving mostly the women breathless. 

Breathless? Me, breathless? 

Ella's thoughts had only caught up to what was happening with her body when she clasped her mouth in awe. 

Indeed, she was breathless. Her chest was heaving softly and her lips parted letting out small breaths of air escape from her lungs. 

Quickly realising the state she was in, Ella ceased it immediately. 

This is not the time Ella to be like your sister. Ella's inner voice reminded her. 

Agreeing with herself, she tore her gaze away from the Duke and continued her consumption of the beautiful paradise that lay before her. 

Just as she tore her eyes away, Amos had finally arrived at the foot of the stairwell. 

What awaited him was a flock of very desperate birds, 'ladies' if you may, waiting to take flight. Only it was to fly into the Duke's arms. 

Ella's attention was only on the food and her plans to escape but before she had any hopes of the latter, an all too familiar voice of doom interrupted her. 

"Ella! What on earth's name are you doing?" If Jennifer's tone of voice was made of venom, it surely sent a venomous message to Ella's ears. 

Slowly turning towards her mother with a mouth fully stuffed with a piece of cake, Ella responded:

"Mahrdur - " Ella swallowed some of the food but it still left her mouth and her words incoherent for anyone to understand when she spoke. "Wardah pleshant shurprise!" 

The look of her mother did not respond well. 

"Dear me, Ella! What did I say about speaking with your mouth full?" 

Quickly munching and swallowing the piece of cake in her mouth, Ella finally responded:

"Sorry mother," coughing as if to clear her throat from any more pieces of cake left, Ella repeated what she had said earlier. "What a pleasant surprise!" 

Beaming from eye to eye, Ella tried her best to show how surprised she was. It was mildly working on her mother. But it was working. 

"What are you doing here? Don't you see the Duke has arrived and the ladies are now introducing themselves to him?" Jennifer gestured across the room to where the ladies had began to introduce themselves one by one before the Duke.

"Oh dear! I must have not noticed," Ella responded, sarcasm laced in her words all too clearly.  

Despite her sarcastic intentions, it worked the opposite effect on her mother. Without realising it, Jennifer had forcefully grabbed her daughter's forearm and started to pull her away from her paradise and closer to the line of women awaiting to greet themselves to the Duke. 

No, no, no, no, no -

Arriving beside her sister Naomi who, unsurprisingly was waiting in the line, Jennifer removed her grip from Ella. 

"You will introduce yourself, Ella. And be respectable about it." She glared at her daughter.

Fighting off the urge to glare right back at her mother and begin a never-ending argument, Ella reluctantly replied:

"Yes, mother."

"Good. Now, present yourselves with grace and honour. And do not disappoint me Ella." Jennifer cautioned before she left her two daughters. 

Ella's forced smile quickly retracted into a frown as soon as her mother left. 

On the contrary, Naomi was more than happy to comply with her mother's wishes. Like the rest of the ladies in the line, Naomi could not take her dreamy gaze away from the Duke. It was though he was the only thing that she could see. Not for Ella, though. No. 

She was still annoyed at her mother for forcing her away from her paradise of food to introduce herself to the Duke whom she swore that she would stay as far away as possible from. 

Hmpf! This will  not stop me from devising my escape. Ella thought to herself. Determined as ever, Ella vowed to herself that after reluctantly introducing herself to the Duke she would return to her paradise and commence her escape plans. 

"Remember, the Duke is mine."

Snapping away from her train of thought, Ella turned to her sister who had clearly marked her territory. Not that Ella cared. All she wanted to do was laugh at her sister's determination but before she could reply it was now their turn to introduce themselves before the Duke. 

"Miss Naomi Pearson and Miss Ella Pearson," the informant besides the Duke who seemed to have memorised all the names and faces at the ball spoke. 

Ella had now understood why the other ladies including her sister had eyes only for the Duke. 

As she looked up to the dominating figure that stood before her, she could finally make out his appearance more clearly than when she was before in her corner of paradise. 

The first thing Ella noticed was his eyes. They were a mysterious pool of steel grey that from afar seemed dark but up close, in the glimmering light, you could see the depths of grey dancing about the black pupils. The soft strokes of his eyelashes complimented his eyes. 

His hair, sleek as silk and dark as night, was neatly combed back with a few strands dangling about his forehead. 

His skin was fairly tanned as though he had spent most of his days outdoors. A well-constructed nose rested at the centre of his diamond-shaped face. His lips, with faint colour, pressed together to form a flat line. No hairs were intruding his strong jawline or any part of his face besides his bold eyebrows. 

His dashing black attire expressed his hard and well-built physique whom towered over Ella. 

Indeed, she had finally understood why her sister and the other ladies could not resist their eyes fired with desire towards the Duke. 

But it wasn't long before her senses reminded her of the very reason why she despised those of wealth, nobility and power. 

As quick as she was to come back to her senses, Ella along with her sister curtsied before the Duke. Naomi curtsied as though there was no tomorrow. Ella, on the other hand, wanted to quickly get away from the Duke as far away as possible. 

Bemused, Amos focused his attention on Ella. She was the first lady, so far, to act as though he was not anyone important. 

For Ella, that was true. All that was important to her was her paradise of food and escape. 

Not to prolong her important necessities any longer and without waiting for her sister who was still curtsying, Ella abruptly excused herself and made her way back to what mattered to her at that moment.  

Despite the shocked expressions received from those around them, a bemused Amos only saw one thing. 

My perfect bride. 

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Hello my friends! Yes, this is another updated version of my original which has been revised and edited on November 29th 2022. 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Let me know what you think and how you feel so far :))

Yours Truly, 

Miss Riah 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2M 192K 101
Isabella needs a huge sum of money for her aged grandmother's surgery. She has nowhere to go for help and she decides to seek help from her Billionai...
104 18 8
King Uther of Forland is old and failing. His grandson and heir, Prince Richard, lives the good life: anything that gives him an adrenaline rush. He...
17.2K 459 18
EDITING THE NOVEL, MAY 2023 - Everything will be back up soon! ------------- He stops touching me and quietly watches my stern face before speaking...
3.5K 152 20
"Stay away from me, don't talk to me except if it is about my son or about something very important. And lastly don't fall in love with me" he said "...