Royal Blood

By ShhBethsReading

WINNER OF THE ROYALIST PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD IN FANTASY! HIGHEST RANK SO FAR #212 IN FANTASY! "I've been tol... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Reviews

Chapter Thirteen

885 134 108
By ShhBethsReading

Everything smells. The floor smells, the walls smell, we now smell. I can't get away from it. Jasper and Max keep trying to reassure me that all the human waste was removed before completely abandoning these tunnels but I don't think I believe them. And when it doesn't smell of toilet waste then the air is completely damp making everything smell worse. This is certainly not the life that I am used to.

For the most part I end up following Jasper and Max around as they seem to know their way around the tunnels very well. It all looks the same to me. It is dark but not as dark as outside which I can't understand as to why. At least we can use our torches down here without worrying about being caught. Every now and then the tunnel turns or there is a junction and I wonder how we are ever going to find our way to ocean tunnel but while panic fills my head at these points, the two guys just look at each, mumble something and then we turn right, or go left. Sometimes we even carry on walking forward.

Time seems to pass slowly down here though. There is obviously nothing to do other than to keep walking. I can't tell if we have been walking for hours or minutes. It feels like hours and my feet are already screaming at me to stop walking. I'm pathetic and I know it. What I need is a distraction.

"Did I ever tell you about the times where I would annoy the palace staff?" I ask them both hoping that starting a conversation will help time pass faster.

"Why doesn't that sound surprising?" I hear Max say but I just ignore him.

"No you haven't but I'd love to hear about it." Jasper tells me.

"I always used to have nannies that would look after me when I was little because you know, my mother would be to busy running the country. Anyway I would always do my best to annoy them, to see how long they could last. Some were harder to break than others. I did have one nanny that lasted only a week. Apparently she didn't like being tormented by a five year old. Can you believe that?

I had another nanny who I thought would never leave. She stuck around for months and months. No matter what I did, she just wouldn't leave. I did everything that a six year old would do; I talked back to her, made up rumours about her. I tried everything but nothing happened. I used to sit alone in my bedroom, plotting ways to get rid of her. Eventually she left but it had nothing to do with me. She supposedly said something that my mother didn't like and before I knew it, she was gone." I tell the two of them.

"Your mother must be so proud of you." Max says to me in a sarcastic tone.

"It was all fun and games. There's no need to be a smart mouth. And besides, I was only young and I thought the world owed me everything. I wouldn't do anything like that now though. I realise everything is quite the opposite. I owe the world everything after my stupid family has ruined everything for everyone. I know that my mother will never be proud of me as long as I have different ideology's to her." I tell him which quickly shuts him up. "What about you guys, any exciting stories to share?" I ask them.

"Well I was never like you as a child, I don't think anyone was but I do remember that I loved spending time with my parents, before they kicked me out of course. One of the memories that sticks out the most to me is when we went to a park once. The three of us went, I couldn't have been more than eight at the time, and we had this picnic under a huge oak tree. Everything about that day was perfect; the weather, the food, the atmosphere. No one was yelling at anyone or wishing that they were somewhere else. For some reason that memory has always stuck with me." Jasper tells us and I listen intently to him.

"That's actually really nice. I wish I had memories of my parents being like that together. All I have are memories of them yelling at each other about how they choose to run the country. There was never any time for family picnics or even just spending time together as a family." I tell Jasper who nods at me as if he understands.

During the next few minutes we walk in silence, letting everything we have learnt about each other sink in. I imagine what it must be like to have a family where you are the main priority and are not shadowed by a country. Most little girls have dreamt about being in my position, being a princess, growing up in a fancy castle, the perfect princess life. I on the other hand dream about their life, having a family that cares about me and who actually want to spend time with me. No matter how many times I have dreamt about this, I just can't escape the reality. You can't run away from blood.

I look over at Max and grin at him. "What about you, do you have anything you want to share with us?" I ask him and he just stares at me, then rolls his eyes.

"Are you suddenly my therapist?" Now it's my turn to roll my eyes.

"No I'm just trying to make conversation. It's looks like we will all be spending a lot of time with each other so I thought it might be a good idea to know each other a bit more. Guess I was wrong." I blurt everything out at him.

I notice that besides me Jasper stiffens and begins to look uncomfortable about everything. The more I talk to Max, the more I don't understand why he has even come with us. I understand that he is Jasper's boyfriend and that he wants to be here for him but he is being less than helpful.

"If you must know when I was growing up I never had nannies that I could torment or happy family picnics. My life was spent running from one place to another as my family searched for jobs and a place to stay. So while you were trying to get people fired for doing their job., there were, and still are, people struggling to find work. Not all of have grown up in a secure home." Max tells us, although I'm guessing Jasper already knew about this. Guilt begins to build up in my stomach as I know I've pushed too far.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know." I apologise to him, truly meaning it because nobody should have a childhood like that.

There is now a tension in the air due to the awkwardness of the situation. Even Jasper knows to stay quiet which is new for him. Max just sulks with his head down but I don't blame him, not when a spoilt, princess brat try's to make you reveal your childhood memories and you really don't want to. There is still so much for me to learn about in the world and how people have been treated. My room back in the palace was more like a dungeon than I could ever have imagined it to be.

The more I learn about the real world, the more I tell myself that I have to go back to the palace. Not now but someday. If I understand what is happening from first hand experiences then I can know how to help. Since escaping the palace I've only come across three people and the laws of the country have caused them so much damage in their lives. I can't bear to imagine how bad it must be for others as well.

My mother has always painted a picture than the whole country is in a good state, that the only thing troubling it was the rebel groups. She never told me that people couldn't find jobs, or that there were people who were legally unable to be with the person they love. I don't know when she was ever going to tell me these things. Knowing her it would probably be during my coronation. Better late than never.

"I think we should set up a camp here for the night and get some rest. Hopefully we can reach the ocean tunnels tomorrow I we walk fast enough." Jasper suddenly stops walking and says to us.

From the corner of my eyes I see Max nod his head at Jasper, agreeing with him I assume. I on the other hand don't feel as sure.

"Haven't we just started walking though?" I ask sounding clueless.

"Princess, we have been walking for hours. You just never noticed because you were stuck in your own thoughts- and Max, don't say any sarcastic comments. It won't help the awkward tension here." Jasper tells me as Max was about to open his mouth.

"Really? It doesn't feel that long." I say.

"I know. Right, I'm going to check the perimeter and make sure that there is no one around. You two can stay here, set up some sleeping bags and food and make up." It wasn't a question, it was an order and before we either Max or I have time to protest, Jasper has walked off.

Taking my backpack off my shoulder I turn around to look at Max. He's fumbling around in his bag, probably looking for food or his sleeping bag. I then look around at where we are at. The tunnel looks the same as all the rest; it's dark, damp and miserable. I can feel the temp attire dropping, especially as we have now stopped walking.

I dig my own sleeping bag out of my backpack and sit on it on the floor. "Jasper's right you know. We have to figure this thing out otherwise one of us will end up killing the other." I say to him. Max just turns around and glares at me. "I told you that I was sorry earlier and I'm sorry that you're in this position. I never meant to drag anyone into this but Jasper has been so helpful and-"

"Sounds like Jasper. He can't help but have a new project to look after. He got lucky this time with it being a princess." Max snarls at me.

"Excuse me but I don't understand what you're saying. I'm not a project!"

"Ever since Jasper and I have been dating, he has always wanted to help others. Whether that has been letting random strangers sleep in our house while they are hitch hiking or nursing a bird back to health. It's like he has a hero complex. And now he has come across you, his biggest challenge yet. I love Jasper and I love how he wants to help but he doesn't understand when he should leave people alone because in the end he could get hurt. That's why I don't trust you princess because any moment you could go running off back to the palace and that would be us dead. Or we could get caught by guards who may think we are abducting you. Dead.

That's why I couldn't stay at home because if I had then I might never see Jasper again because once he has started on a new project then he doesn't back down until the end. Or in this case until you say stop and I don't think you will. You're the perfect damsel in distress; lost in the woods without knowing where to go. Such a shame he isn't a Prince Charming otherwise we would have the making of a beautiful love story here." I listen carefully to every word that Max says. I'm carful to take it all in.

Calmly, I say to him, "There's nothing I can do to change Jaspers behaviour. If he likes to help people and animals well then that is him and that is an amazing quality to have. I've lived a very sheltered upbringing with people who should be like Jasper but aren't.

Also if we do get caught then I won't let any of the guards touch you. They have orders to listen to me and that's what they will have to do. Your lives will be safe with me, I promise you.

I understand that you want to be close to Jasper, like you said, you love him. Which is why you wouldn't have wanted to stay at home alone but you also have to let him do what he wishes. He is a grown man after all.

Final point, I am not a damsel in distress. Yes I would've have got lost without Jaspers help but I escaped in my own. I didn't need a Prince Charming then. Also when we get to the Mainland I will be able to help people on my own. In life you need guidance sometimes which isn't a bad thing.

I really want us to be friends Max. It will make this trip a lot more enjoyable if we are. Please can we be?" I ask at the end.

I see in Max's face that he is contemplating everything that I said. "Are you sure that we won't be killed?"

"Definitely not by any of the palace guards."

"And you won't force me to talk about my childhood?"

"Not if you don't want to."

"I guess we can try and be friends then." He says to me.

"Good I'm glad. May I ask that you stop with the sarcastic remarks though?" I ask Max and he nods at me with a grin on his face. "Good. Now let's get everything set up before Jasper arrives."

Together we set up the three sleeping bags and the food. In fairness it didn't take us that long but not long after everything was set up, Jasper comes back.

"Is everything okay between the two of you now?" He asks us cautiously.

To my surprise Max answers first. "Yes, I think we've made up now."

"Thank god for that. The tension earlier was unbearable. Now what have we got to eat?" And with that the three of us begin to settle down for the night in preparation for what tomorrow will bring.

A/N: It's #RoyalWednesday once again and the last one before Christmas which is really strange. I can't believe how fast the year has gone.

Credit goes to maisiemdb for making the picture above.

Thoughts on this chapter? Did you enjoy it? What do you think is going to happen next?

I was figuring out the other day that the chapter I am currently writing will be published towards the end of March next year which seems really strange to me.

Also don't forget to check out the Christmas story I have done for Fingerprints which I have also posted today.

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171 21 21
I go to high school and work for my family. I decided to stay with my mom but ended up working for my family instead of going to England with my fath...
2.8M 86.8K 54
[COMPLETE] They say weddings are eventful, to say the least. Anything could happen. What I didn't expect however, was him. My mistake. It's been...
85.7K 3.8K 79
"Do you have any idea how damn frustrating you are?" He trapped me between him and the wall. Stubbornly, I looked squarely at him, "You say this lik...
658K 18.6K 33
I've dreamed of the perfect marriage ever since I was a little girl: a marriage complete with a hardworking husband while I tended to the home and ou...