The Hidden Gifted

By nmnavena

High School. A word everyone dreads at some part of their lives because of the social system that exists ther... More

Author's note
Characters
Prologue
School!!!
Meeting Up
On Fire
Fire and Water
Explanations
The Reunion
Abilities?
Training
World War 3
Detention
Sleepover
Nightmares
Almost
Warning
Funeral
Taken
The Rescue
Epilogue
Author's Note

Flaming Girl

46 2 0
By nmnavena

Evelyn's POV

I lost her the moment I yelled as she picked up her speed and ran like she was chased by ghost. Well,I'm a ghost when I'm angry and that little rascal knew that. How I wanted to murder her and maybe kick her butt a few times.

"I.....can't.....run...anymore...! I....think...I'm..going to p....pass out." I panted and dropped down to my knees,mumbling to no one in particular.

"Christ! There you are! Why did you leave me?" Mikayla yelled from a distance,breathing hard and grumbling as she made her way to me who was still on the floor.

"Who told you not to follow us? You could have helped to catch her! Did you see how fast she was? She ran like she was on fire!"

"Excuse me for trying to keep up with the two of you. I lost you two corridors away where I ran into our netball coach,Ms.Lisa who had already written down our names for try-outs. Do you know what that means?"

"Weren't you the fastest between us when we were younger? Have you lost your game already? No,I don't know what that means!" I grumbled,pushing myself up from the floor before dusting the imaginary dirt off me.

"That was when we were younger. We're 17 now and I haven't lost my game,I'm just out of shape. And that means hardcore training every single day if we're chosen and we have to spent time with the jocks and cheer squad because we'll be in the same space."

"Oh! What's the big deal? It's not like we have to train with them or anything. They're just sharing the same space." I said,confused as to why that is a bad thing. Hmm...isn't Chase in basketball too? No! Stop thinking about him! 

"Well,it's not a big deal to you but it's a big deal to me!"

"Why is it such a big deal anyway?"

"We should get to class. We're already 10 minutes late and we'll get detention if we're even more late! Let's go." Mikayla said,ignoring my question and walked on ahead leaving me standing there.

"Hey,wait up! Why did you ignore my question? Is there something that's going on that I don't know about or are you hiding something from me?" I looked at her but she only shook her head and looked away but kept on walking. What's wrong with her? Have I really been that oblivious to her problems? What's going on? I should ask Jazzy about this before I jump to any conclusions.

"We're here!" Mikayla said,standing in front of the door with her fist up ready to knock.

"Why knock when we can just open the door?" I said and winked at her before opening the door. All eyes were on us now. Oh great! How I hated being in the centre of attention.

"Why are 15 minutes late to my class on the first day of school?" Mr.Brown asked,glancing at his watch before looking back to us.

"Uhm...well we kinda got lost so that's why we're late. We're sorry,Mr.Brown." Mikayla said,saving us.

"I'll let this pass as this is the first day but today will be the last time this happens,understood?" We nodded and walked to the back of the class at the other end. We took out our books and started jotting down the formulas that were on the board. 

"Ugh,I think I'm going to have a headache because of these crazy formulas. Do we have to copy this down? Can't I  just pretend to be sick?" I grumbled,holding my already aching head in my hands.

"Can't you just pretend to be interested in Math and try to not get us in trouble?" Mikayla said,too immersed in the problem solving to look up at me.

"Are you girls done?" Mr.Brown asked from the front.

"No." I answered,shaking my head.

"Then,why were you talking? You were disrupting the class. Get back to work and if I see you talking again,it's straight to detention for the both of you." He glared at me and went back to doing something on his phone.

"Rude old man! How was I disrupting the class when I did nothing?" I whispered.

"Evs,I told you to pretend. Now look at what you've done. Please just pick up the pencil and pretend you're solving some questions!"

"Fine." I grabbed my pencil and started scribbling down possible answers with their workings as help to figure out the answer to the dumb question. When the bell rang,I couldn't have been more happier. I packed up so fast that I thought I had superhuman speed.

"Sorry! I didn't see you walking." I said to a girl I bumped into outside the class. She just nodded and kept her head down,walking away. Her purple hair stood out amongst-WAIT! 

"Jazzy Knight! Stop right where you are and don't even think about running!" She stopped and didn't even move a muscle. Well that's a first. I walked up to her and grabbed her shoulder to turn her around. 

"What in the name of god were you thinking? Running down the hallway,screaming that I have a crush on a stranger! What will people think of me? Were you crazy?"

"Evs-"

"Aww,she cares about what people think about her. How sweet? Who's this stranger that you have a crush? Has he seen you? I bet he hasn't!" A sickly sweet voice cooed.

"Oh god!" I grumbled and turned around to look at that person who spoke.

"It's been a long time,Evelyn Williams! How have you been?" Harlene Francis,leader of the cheer squad asked me with sickly sweet smile on her face that I so wanted to slap it away. Don't ask why but I really don't get along with the cheer girls. They're all so fake and annoying.

"I was fine and happy until you arrived!" I sassily replied. Did that do me any good? Nope,it didn't!

"Did I hurt your feelings? Are you going to cry for your mommy? Do you need some tissues?"

"Leave,Harlene! You aren't needed here. You can't hurt something that I don't have now can you? Plus,I'm not a baby like you that cries for the smallest of things!"

"Hmm,I like your attitude but it's getting you no where hun! Are you sure you don't have feelings? Isn't there a guy,at least one guy that makes your heart race and flutter? Unless you're not even straight,that is." She smirked at me in victory.

"Don't worry,I'm straight but I ain't interested in guys at school because well,they aren't of my standards and my type!"

"And here I thought you didn't have any standards! I guess I was right!" That did it. Something sparked within me and I felt a surge of power go through my body.

"What is your problem with me? What have I done to you? Are you jealous of me?" I growled,completely ignoring all the flickering lights and the darkening of my eyes along with everything around me.

"Evs,what the hell are you doing? Can you please calm down? She's just meesing with your head,chica! Snap out of it!" Jazzy yelled into my ear but that didn't help at all. I was still glaring at her and the flickering got worse.

"Are you witch now? Is that what you've been hiding all this while?" Harlene asked causing all the students to gasp and back away from me.

"Enough,Harlene! You're just making things up. The flickering could just be a maintenance issue. Are you getting scared because of a little flicker?" Jazzy stood up for me.

"Jazzy Knight is standing up for her friend. Are you a witch too? No wonder you're so ugly!" She laughed evilly that made her sound like a dying walrus.

"Says the one that's cackling like a dying walrus!" Jazzy mocked and smirked when Harlene glared at her.

"You know,I still can't believe that you and the school's hottest boy are related but I might be wrong. He's hot and smart while you,well not so much. Maybe you're adopted! Ever thought of that?" Now,she just crossed the limit and she was going to get it. Jazzy has really bad anger control sometimes I'm scared she might burst into flames.

"You see,I don't remember asking for your opinion on my relationship with Blake so I suggest you stay out of it! Even if you deny it,we're related because we both share the same dislike for girls like you. And if I see you poking your nose in my business or my friends',I will not hesistate to give you a facial makeover! Understood?" She glared at her and walked away,bumping her shoulder in the process. That's weird. She didn't curse neither did she explode. I think I saw her purple hair flame up at the end but I might just be imagining stuff.

"I hope you listen to her. She means what she says and I don't think you would like a makeover from her,would you?" I warned the cheer captain and walked off,trying to search for my two friends.

"Evelyn Williams! What in the name of cheese happened there that Jaz looks like she's about to explode?" Mikayla said,walking up with crossed arms. Why cheese? She has a weird fascination.

"Harlene was picking a fight with me ,then I got angry and lights started to flicker. Jazzy tried to help me not punch her and Harlene chose that moment to mock Jazzy using her brother. So,Jazzy warned her about poking her nose into our stuff and walked away. That's what you saw...Jazzy walking away from the fight. Now we need to find her!"

"How are we supposed to find her when we've lost her like 10 minutes ago? What do you expect us to do? Run around the whole school and shout her name?"

"We could try. God knows what she'll do if she's alone. What if she hurts herself? What are we going to say to her family? Let's just go!" I said and walked off,leaving Mikayla behind.

"Evs,wait! Let's wait until lunch and see what happens. If she's not there,we'll go look or her! She might just want some space and peace! I promise we'll go look for her if she doesn't show up,alright?"

"But what if-" I was interrupted by the bell that signaled 3rd period was about to start. 

"Come on,let's go!" Mikayla said and grabbed my arm,pulling me to our English class.

Lunch

"Thank god! I thought we were sitting in there for years." I grumbled,looking around the cafeteria for a tall purple head. That's the only thing that makes her stand out in a crowd,her dark purple hair that slowly turns bright as it gets lower.

"I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this!" Mikayla said,eyes darting around the cafeteria looking for our lost chica. 

"It was you who told to wait until lunch and now we can't find her! Great,just great!"

"Hey,girls! Where's lil' J?" Chase yelled from behind us. I'd recognise that deep voice no matter where I am.

"Uhm...she's.....um.....um" I stuttered,not because of him but because of what I saw behind him. Blake Knight stood there,eyes dark with anger and fists balled up.

"Where is she,Evelyn?" Blake asked,his Spanish accent thick which made him even more scarier.

"Uhm....well..she..uhm.."

"What happened between you and Harlene until it's all over the school?"

"Well,we fought and lights flickered but that's not important. Jazzy tried to help but Harlene mocked her using you and she warned her before walking away to god knows where. That's about it."

"What did she say to my sister about me?"

"Hate to ruin this whole investigation but we have to go look for lil' J,if you forgot!" Chase said,worriedly and walked past us to the door. Why does he care so much?

"Yeah,you can ask her this later!" Mikayla said,following the boys out of the cafeteria.

"Was it harsh? What Harlene said?" Blake asked,looking at me with sad eyes.

"It was if it's from my point of view but it would've been worse for Jazzy as she is your sister."

"I'm the world's worst brother and she's gonna hate even more!" He said,putting his hands on his head and pulled at his hair.

"Hey,stop that! She's not going to hate you but she will if you don't go look for her! Come on,Knight. We've a lost chica to go find." I said and grabbed his arm,pulling him out.

"What took you so long?" Chase asked,tapping his foot impatiently and glared at us.

"Don't worry,lover boy! I didn't do anything to her." Blake winked at him. He just nodded and glanced at me. That was enough to make my heart flutter.

"Alright like I said,Blake will go to the roof as it's her hideout. Mikayla and Evelyn will to the court and we will look for her everywhere else. Got it?" Leon said and looked at each of us.

"Alright,we meet back here in 15! Disperse!" Blake said and ran off to the roof staircase.

"Let's go!" I said and walked with Mikayla to the courts.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Streets By Taylor

Mystery / Thriller

2.9K 78 51
They were trouble. You could just tell by looking at them. They didn't talk to anybody, besides others in the group and people in our school spread s...
191K 5K 19
The Bruises She Hides No one knows how miserable I really am. No one sees my pain. No one knows. Yet they think they do. They think I'm normal. They...
290K 6.8K 45
We all have secrets. But the question is... What are they? Her father hates her. Her mother's dead. Only option seems to be is to get far away right...
163 22 19
A story of friendship, trust, heart break and high school life. A group of friends survive their last year in high school and each go through a stage...