The Rising Sun (A Stiles Stil...

By _hogwartian_

Emma Brisbane was never normal, but now she's not even herself. After losing her memory, she must find her wa... More

Chapter 1 - Losing Your Memory
Chapter 2 - The Hunt
Chapter 3 - Back to School
Chapter 4 - More Than Lacrosse
Chapter 6 - A Little Bit Crazy
Chapter 7 - A Series of Strange Events
Chapter 8 - The First Memory
Chapter 9 - The Reveal
Chapter 10 - The Truth About Werewolves
Chapter 11 - Departure
Chapter 12 - A Long Night
Chapter 13 - White Walls
Chapter 14 - Hazy
Chapter 15 - Three's a Pattern
Chapter 16 - Sisterly
Chapter 17 - Crossing Lines
Chapter 18 - The Punch Bowl
Chapter 19 - Puzzle Pieces
Chapter 20 - Digging Deeper
Chapter 21 - Hard Truths
Chapter 22 - Tangled
Chapter 23 - Shoot and Score
Chapter 24 - Lost and Found
Chapter 25 - Normalcy

Chapter 5 - The Key

16.9K 473 384
By _hogwartian_

**Disclaimer** Suprise, surprise...I still do not own Teen Wolf.

                          ~~ERIC POV~~

 "Look I'll get there as soon as I can," I told Scott over the phone. "Just get yourself under control. We don't need two homicidal werewolves running around tonight."

 "Yeah, yeah," he said. "I have a plan. Make sure Emma stays home. Stiles would officially lose it if something happened to her."

 I closed the front door behind me, switching which hand held my cell phone. I looked up to see the ever so infamous baby blue jeep pull into my driveway, Emma in the passenger seat. Maybe things are looking up for Stiles, after all.

 "Speaking of him, he just pulled into my driveway with Emma. I'll call you when we get Isaac out." I said, hanging up the phone as soon as I finished and stuffing it into my pocket.

 I walked around to Emma's side of the jeep to help her out. I could immediately feel the tension between the two. Emma appeared uncomfortable and unsure of herself, while Stiles was caught between angry and disappointed. I know I'm supposed to hate whatever guy lays a finger on my little sister, but deep down I know that there is no one better out there for her than Stiles.

 "Emma," I said, but she had already stomped past me and into the house. I turned to Stiles with wide eyes and raised eyebrows. He just sighed and shook his head. "Okay, well we have bigger problems. I just talked to Scott and we need to meet Derek at the station."

 Derek used to be like a brother to me, that was until he ruined my sister's life. I don't think I will ever be able to forgive him for what he did, but now he's brought this mess into our lives and I have to do something about it. I have to protect my sister. She deserves that much from me.

 "Allison said that she saw one of the hunters leave in a deputy uniform but she's heading out to slow him down." Stiles informed me.

 I quickly hopped into the seat Emma had just abandoned. "Well then what are we waiting for? Let's go,"

 Stiles nodded and shifted the jeep into reverse, zipping out of the driveway as fast as he could. Even though I've been a werewolf for over three years, the full moon still has an effect on me. I've learned to control it for the most part, but I still feel the power as all of my senses are turned up. It gets hard to fight sometimes. Sometimes I just want to let it loose, to see what it feels like. But I know that would be selfish, and I've made enough of those decisions already.

 "Do you think somebody should have stayed to keep an eye on Emma? I mean, we don't really know how the full moon might affect her," said Stiles. The concern in his voice was radiating through the vehicle.

 I shook my head. "My dad's home. He'll watch her."

 I was beyond worried about what Dad would say when he finally learned the truth about Emma and my's supernatural abilities, but it's actually worked out in my favor. He's still upset that I broke Mom's number one rule, but he's accepted the fact that I'm a werewolf and I know that he will do whatever it takes to keep our family safe. I think he actually trusts me.

 Of course, Emma losing her memories as been hard on him, mostly because we don't have an explanation. If Mom had found anything on what she, Emma, and Zoe were, Emma would have discovered it by now. She spent the majority of her time in that office anyways.

 "You know," I said. "Her heart beat still picks up when she's around you."

 Stiles' face lit up. "It does?"

 I nodded. "Her memories are still in there somewhere, they have to be. We just need to find a way to open the gate and release them all."

 We arrived at the police station a few minutes later. We parked in front of Derek's Camaro and he walked over to Stiles' side of the jeep. I was glad he hadn't come to my window. It would have been a struggle not to let the full moon punch him in the face using my fist.

 I agreed to stay out here while Derek distracted the deputy at the front desk and Stiles snagged the keys from his father's office. I waited patiently for any kind of signal while the two were inside. Only a couple of minutes passed before I heard the fire alarm go off.

 Without hesitating I sprinted out of the jeep and inside. I followed the sounds of the chaos around a corner and towards the back. When I arrived I saw a deputy laying unconscious on the ground with Isaac in front of him. Derek had stomped on a needle full of what I assumed was wolfsbane. Stiles had pushed himself against a wall and Isaac was now nearing him. I stepped in front of Stiles and Derek let out a loud howl. I fell to my knees at the sound and Isaac huddled into the corner. Between the ringing of the alarms and the pull of Derek's howl, I thought my brain was going to explode.

 "How'd you do that?" Stiles asked Derek.

 "I'm the Alpha," said Derek. 

 Finally recovering from the howl, I shot a glare at Derek and knelt down next to Stiles. He cocked his eyebrows. I glanced over at Isaac to see him back in his human form. He was covered in sweat and trembling with fear.

 My mind drifted to when Laura had to do the same thing to me on my first full moon. I had escaped the chains they used on me and was about to attack an innocent couple on the street when Laura found me and brought me back with her howl. I wondered if that was why Derek knew to do it with Isaac.

 Derek picked him up by the collar of his shirt. I wasn't going to let him get away that easy. He needs to live up to his actions.

 "Stay here," I ordered Stiles.

 I followed Derek and Isaac as they darted out of the building. They drove away in the Camaro before I could get in, but I had enough strength and speed to follow on foot. I sprinted on all fours next to the black car, keeping myself hidden not only from them, but from passersby as well.

 They finally pulled into an abandoned train station and I approached the car with fury as they stepped out. "Are you out of your damn mind?"

 "He wanted the bite, Eric. Just like you did." Derek said, his voice steady.

 "You think I don't know that you approached him? How else would he have known?"

 Derek scoffed and folded his arms across his chest. "He had his reasons for wanting the bite. He wanted to be able to defend himself. Why'd you take the bite? Huh?"

 I clenched my jaw and balled up my hands into fists. I wanted nothing more than to beat the hell out of him right now, but I had to control myself. I looked over at Isaac. He was hanging his head and focusing on the ground.

 Derek knows why I took the bite, and he knows that it was purely because I was being selfish. After Mom and Zoe died I needed an escape. I figured that becoming a werewolf would fix everything, that all the pain would go away. It didn't.

 "Besides," said Derek, wearing an unsettling smirk. "He's doing me a little favor."

 "Favor?" I asked.

 "Why don't you tell him yourself, Isaac?" 

 Isaac looked up at me, a terrified expression still etched on his face. I raised my eyebrows at him, pushing him to come out with it. He looked hesitant to tell me exactly what he's doing for Derek in order to earn the bite.

 "I'm...uh..." He stuttered around.

 Derek groaned and rolled his eyes. "He's hitting on your sister, gaining her trust. Memories or not, I need her in my pack."

 I finally snapped and threw myself at Derek. I could feel my eyes glow their golden color, my teeth transform into fangs, and my fingernails grow into claws. Derek fended my attack off with his, tossing me to the side. But I was't finished. I launched again, but hit the ground with force. Derek picked me up by the throat, my feet dangling in the air. I was gasping for breaths, but still trying to kick and claw at him.

 "She's better of with me," he said. 

 "You killed her!" I said, as loud as I could with my throat threatening to cave in. "She was dead all because you wanted a little power. She trusted you,"

 I felt air fill my lungs as Derek threw me back to the ground. I coughed and brought my hands to my throat, as if to make sure it was still there. A shadow crossed my face as Derek loomed over me, his eyes flickering red for only half of a second.

 "Don't blame me because you couldn't protect her." 

 With that, he and Isaac disappeared into the night and I was left with my anger and my thoughts. I can't believe I put him before Emma for all those years. Mom always emphasized how important family was, but the Hales were like family to us too. Only now do I realize that mothers and sisters and fathers should always come first.

 I got back to my feet and began running home. I needed to somehow warn Emma about Isaac. She needs to stay away from him for her own good. I know she's not going to like it, but it's for the best. 

 I want to badly to tell her the truth, about why she really has no memories, but she's not ready. Besides that, we don't even know everything about what happened to her. Everything is still just a big mystery. But after tonight I will do whatever it takes to solve it. Emma deserves answers more than any of us.

 When I finally made it back home, I was about to go up to Emma's room when Dad stopped me. He had a serious expression on his face and a whirl of worry rushed through me as he asked me to talk. When parents ask to talk to you it never usually ends well.

 He sat down next to me on the couch and folded his hands together. He was silent for a few moments, only increasing my nervousness. Finally, he spoke.

 "I want to ask Melanie to marry me."

 "What?" 

 Well this conversation took a turn that I definitely did not expect. He had me sitting on edge all because he wants to ask his girlfriend to marry him? Part of me was relieved, but I also felt kind of weird about the whole situation.

 "I want to ask Mel - "

 "I heard you," I said. "I'm just...surprised that that's what you wanted to talk to me about."

 He sighed and rubbed a hand over his chin. "I'm worried about Emma. She wasn't exactly fond of Melanie before she lost her memories, and I don't want her to think that I'm trying to replace her mother."

 I gaped at him. "Well, do you really think now is a good time to plan a wedding? I mean, with everything going on around here?"

 "I know, but Melanie has been dropping all these hints lately. She took me ring shopping yesterday for god's sake!"

 I rolled my eyes. Then, I remembered what I had reminded myself of earlier. "Mom always said to put family first, maybe you should think about that."

 With that, I got up and went upstairs to do what I came home to do. I was doing my best to push Dad and I's marriage conversation out of my mind as I knocked softly on Emma's door. I told her that it was me and see granted me permission to come in.

 She was sitting at her desk doing homework using a lamp as her only source of light. In the dim shadows I could see a wall that had been bare this morning was now entirely covered with pictures. It was like she was trying to force herself into remembering by surrounding herself with fragments of her memories. It created a pain in my chest I've never felt before.

 "Can...can we talk?" I asked her.

 She put down her pen and stood up. She grabbed a ponytail holder from her dresser and began tieing her hair up. The tank top she was wearing for pajamas rose as she lifted her arms above her head. The skin around her abdomen was lightly tanned and completely smooth. Not a trace of a marking.

 I stepped closer to her and lifted her shirt even further to make sure that I wasn't missing anything. Her skin was bare. Her scar from where she had been bitten was gone. 

 "Eric, what the hell?" She exclaimed, pushing me away and tugging her tank top down over her stomach. 

 "I'm sorry...it's just...it's..." I stumbled over my words. I backed away. "I'm sorry,"

 I ran out of her room and back down the stairs, hanging a right. I locked the door to Mom's office. I didn't want anyone sneaking up on me. Exhaling deeply, I began my frantic search for an answer. I tore through all of the drawers in the mahogany desk, shuffling through every paper I came across. I was getting more and more frustrated the longer I looked. There was nothing in here.

 I skimmed every single book on the four shelves. They all held information about mythical creatures, but nothing about Emma's abilities. Maybe it was the full moon that was still high in the sky, but I could feel my anger bubbling. I wanted to do one thing for my sister, and I can't. I can't find her the answers she deserves.

 With a frustrated sigh I threw the book in my hand at the wall between the two sets of bookshelves. My ears perked up at the sound when the book met the surface. I stood up and went over to investigate. I held my ear to the wall while giving it a knock with my fist. It was hallow. I took a step back, feeling a mixture of surprise and excitement. This had to be something.

 I remained quiet for a moment, listening for any sign of footsteps around the hall outside. Silence. I took a deep breath and threw my fist through the wall. I put a hole through it with ease. The drywall was thin. I used my heightened eyesight to see through the darkness of the space. My heart jumped when I saw a wooden box sitting in the center. I pulled it out and set it on the desk. I couldn't believe it. This had to be it. What else would Mom have hidden in the walls of her office?

 I examined the stained wood. It was rectangular, slightly larger than the area of a manilla folder. On the front side, where it opens, was a golden set with a key hole. Of course you would need a key to open it. I extended the claw on my index finger and tried picking it, but it wasn't like any other key hole. It had a different shape. It went from wide to narrow on the inside. What the hell kind of key did she use? 

 I tried prying the thing open myself, hoping that the added strength from the full moon would help me. I don't know what she used to seal this thing, but it's strong. I tried everything, throwing it, smashing it. It was indestructible. I had to find that key.

 I was about to give up when I saw the small inscription written just below the golden plate: Faith. I always knew Mom was smart, but I had no idea she was this clever. She gave the key to the one person who would need it most, and in the most indiscreet way. Unbelievable.

 I crept up the stairs and quietly as possible. I could hear Emma's steady breathing from behind her door, meaning that she was asleep. I couldn't believe I was actually doing this. I was stealing my little sister's most prized possession.

 I winced when the door creaked slightly, but Emma remained still in her bed. I tip-toed over to her dresser and began searching. I tried picking up it's scent, but it smelled like everything else Emma owned. It smelled like her. I poked through drawers, scoured the ground even, but I couldn't find it. I held my breath as Emma shifted positions. That's when I crept over to her. Of course. Of course she would be wearing it. 

 Holding in my groan, I carefully lowered my hands to where the clasp lay on the side of her neck. I poked out my claws and picked up the chain. I froze when Emma made a small sound. Luckily she didn't wake up. 

 I undid the clasp with my claws and slowly lifted the necklace off of her. I was so relieved that I did't realize I had let out an audible sigh. "Eric?" Emma stirred.

 A panic spread through me. "Uh, it's fine, Emma. Just go back to sleep,"

 She sat up slightly. "What are you doing?"

 "Nothing, just checking in on you to say goodnight," I cringed at my own lie. "Go back to sleep,"

 She was too tired to argue and fell back into her pillow. I released my breath, making sure to be quiet this time. I snuck back out of her room and hurried into Mom's office. This was it. I was finally going to get answers about what happened to Emma. We were going to learn the final truth.

 I locked the door again and sat in Mom's old chair, which I noticed had three claw marks on the back of it. I made a mental note to ask Scott or Stiles about it later. I drew a deep breath as I placed the cross pendant into the key hole. My heart skipped a beat when I turned it enough to hear a click! I did it. I solved my mother's puzzle.

 I opened the box to reveal a leather covered journal on top of a few loose papers. I read through every last word written in that journal and on the papers. After taking it all in, I dialed up the first person that came to mind.

 "Eric? What the hell? Do you have any idea what time it is?" Asked a groggy Stiles. To be honest, I actually didn't realize that it was past two in the morning. I had gotten too caught up with my findings.

 "I know it's late, but I found something. I think you and Scott may want to come see this."

  ☾

 I had let the two boys in through the back door. They both still had sleep in their eyes, but once I told them it had to do with Emma, they came right over. They want answers just as much as my family, especially Stiles.

 We sat in Mom's office and I was explaining to them the story that Mom had discovered. Apparently, she caught wind about some of her ancestors in Romania. I do remember her being gone for a week a few months before the accident. She did say it was for research purposes. I just had no idea it was this kind of research.

 I told them the story of a family of four sisters in Romania, the four original witches. The eldest three sisters began creating supernatural creatures to roam the earth, including werewolves, vampires, and other shapeshifters. The youngest sister tried to stop them. She said it was against the will of nature. In order to maintain balance, she created a healer, or a vindecare. She gave the gift to her first born daughter, taking away her magic.

 Because everything in the supernatural must have a loophole, she made it so the trait could only be passed down to females and it could be triggered by only one thing: the bite of a werewolf because they were the first creatures created by the sisters. The healer would then be connected to the wolf that bit them. If the wolf is or becomes an Alpha, the healer will gain strength along with them. The healer takes many things after the werewolf, since it was the easiest thing for the witch to model after. But, unlike wolves, all of the healer’s strength goes into the healing process. If the wolf they are connected to becomes an Alpha, then everything is heightened even more, hence the improved sight, hearing, agility, and strength. 

 The healer was created as a guardian of the supernatural. The witches were unaware of the dangers that the creatures they created imposed on the world. Healers are the ones sent to clean up the mess. They can kill at will, and their fate is dependent on who they are as a person. They may use their gift for good or for bad.

 Then I began to explain the part that set me on edge. "Only one of three things can kill a healer; She is severed at the neck or waist, her heart is ripped out, or the wolf that bit her dies of supernatural causes. There is only one way to break the connection between the healer and the wolf, still keeping her ability..."

 "She has to kill them," finished Stiles. I looked at him with surprise. 

 "But then how is Emma alive if Peter was killed?" Scott asked.

 I shook my head. "I've been wondering the same thing. There's only one possible explanation,"

 "Peter isn't dead," finished Stiles again. He was hanging his head and twiddling his thumbs. His leg was shaking anxiously and i would tell that he was deep in thought.

  "He has to be, we saw Derek kill him!" Scott said.

 "I know," I said. "But how else do we explain it?"

 "Is there anything about a case like Emma's?" Stiles asked. I shook my head and he sighed. 

 There's only one thing left to do. "My mother, she was adopted. That's why when she discovered her true heritage she became so interested in mythology and the supernatural. She visited her relatives in Romania for answers, maybe they know something about what happened to Emma."

 "You want to go to Romania?" Scott asked with raised eyebrows.

 "What other choice do I have?"

 Scott was looking at me like I'm crazy while Stiles wasn't really looking at me at all. I think he's still trying to take in all of this news. I know that he wants the best for Emma, we all do. I wasn't surprised when he was the one to say, "Do what you have to do just...just please find something."

 I swallowed and nodded to him. "I will,"

 "But who's supposed to help us with Derek?" Scott asked.

 "I think you can handle the big bad Alpha for a few days." I said with a smirk. "Look, it's pretty late. You two should get back home and get some rest."

 They both agreed and began making their way to the door. I stood up to show them out and my eyes caught the back of Mom's chair. I cleared my throat.

 "Um, guys?" I said. They turned around. I flipped the chair around to show them the claw marks on the back and cocked my eyebrows.

 They simply smiled.

----------------------------------------

Thanks so much for reading!

Surprise! This chapter is in Eric's POV because I really needed him to do some things. He even discovered Emma's background! What do you guys think? Does it make sense?

Two chapters in two days, that's what happens when you don't have friends. I also wrote a little 3b Stemma drabble, it's pretty intense. See external link.

Thanks again and don't forget to comment, vote, and follow!

GIF not mine.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

-Alyssa

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

132K 4.5K 33
[ BOOK ONE ] Daisy Fulton was not the girl to stand out in a crowd. Never the one to take chances. But when her best friends, Scott McCall and Stiles...
63.3K 1.3K 38
🎵𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒘𝒆 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒇𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒔𝒍𝒆𝒆𝒑 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒅𝒐 𝒘𝒆 𝒈𝒐 🎵 Upon the return to beacon hills the argent sisters are there on one strict r...
108K 5K 52
[BOOK 5] "𝙞 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙩𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙤𝙛 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙚𝙡𝙨𝙚, 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙢𝙚 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙢𝙮𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛 - 𝙞 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙖 𝙣𝙚𝙬 𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚𝙡." F...
24.4K 1K 44
lottie bailey never expected to fall in love with her best friend, then again, she never thought her other best friend would turn into a werewolf and...