A Chance for Change (now publ...

By SandraCorton

Chance is a city boy, born and bred so when his parents ship him off to a small town in a completely differen... More

Chapter 1- A chance of moving
Chapter 2- A chance of friendship
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6 & 7
Chapter 8 & 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 3 - A chance for something new

14K 454 49
By SandraCorton

Chance awoke to the kookaburra’s laughter in the trees outside his window. He stretched and yawned, he had hardly slept with the thoughts of the evening thrumming through his mind. Sam had completely blown him away in so many ways.

He had been so surprised by the attic when he went up there. It was actually a completely self-sufficient space. It had its own kitchen, bathroom, dining, lounge and bedrooms. It took up the whole floor space of the house so each room was incredibly spacious. Its rustic colours reflected Sam's personality perfectly. She had laughed so prettily at his shocked face before shoving him back downstairs with a warning to be up early.

He almost ran down the stairs in his excitement to get this new day started. He wanted to get to know Sam, now that she was no longer hidden from him. There was something about her that he felt irresistibly drawn to but with no idea as to why.

The kitchen was as busy as ever, but this time it was Sam behind the stove cooking in her cut-off denim shorts and a baggy pink t-shirt. His grin widened as he noticed supplies spread over the kitchen counter from sunscreen to fishing lures.

"Morning." He said quietly and she jumped back swearing profusely

"Bloody hell! Don't do that." She slapped him across the arm as she turned back to her scrambled eggs.

"Sorry." He said with a laugh

"And here I was making breakfast for you so you wouldn't starve. I should just eat it all myself." She growled at him. She just looked so cute and flustered that he chuckled again "Sit." She ordered

He obediently sat at the stool she had pointed to and she proceeded to serve him a plate of eggs then one for herself. They ate in silence but for some reason there was no awkwardness between them, everything seemed just as it should be.

"I hope you've got swimmers. You will need them it's supposed to be pretty hot today. I've got everything else organised." She explained

"Yeah I've got some boardies somewhere."

"Then get them after this and I'll meet you out at the Ute." She told him and he nodded his head

He was glad that she was happy to eat quietly; it gave him an opportunity to study her without making it obvious. She always seemed so organised and in control. Even now she was up and carrying bundles of stuff out the door. She struggled with the esky so he quickly helped her before searching for his boardies.

He could hear the engine rumbling as he approached the front door. She was sitting in the driver’s seat, deeply absorbed in a book. He opened the door and she glanced at him with a brief smile before gesturing him inside.

They drove for at least a full half hour bumping across paddock after paddock. Chance just sat back and took in the views that surrounded him. The radio was blaring out a country song that Sam was quietly singing along to. He was surprised to find her so relaxed around him, but it seemed that when she said they were friends she meant it. None of that prissy arguing stuff that girls normally did and he appreciated it.

She finally pulled the Ute up to the edge of the shaded riverbank and jumped out. Chance followed and watched in utter amazement as she pulled out two foldable chairs, numerous fishing rods and reels, two hats one of which she threw to him and finally some bait in the form of worms.

"Now we are officially ready." She said happily

She chose a rod, finding her favourite hidden in amongst the lot. She quickly secured a worm on the hook, unfolded the chair and plonked it in the shade. Then she was casting the line out and sitting down while Chance just watched her. He was flabbergasted at how quickly she could move, but soon enough he was sitting down beside her with a line of his own out.

The noises of nature filled the air. The cicadas were beckoning as the sun beat down, while the magpies were carolling to the backdrop of the running river that was soothing to the ears. Before long they were both reeling in a catch and whooping for joy.

Their conversation flowed smoothly, liked they had known each other forever. They discussed their many likes and dislikes, the differences between their two countries and Chance told her all about his friends back in the States.

An insistent alarm started beeping and Sam got up to grab the sunscreen from the Ute. She glanced back to see Chance sitting relaxed and comfortable, lazily reeling in his line a bit. She smiled, so far today had been a great day. She threw the sunscreen at Chance who caught it effortlessly.

"Again?" He asked with a raised eyebrow

"Do you want to get incredibly burnt? Even in the shade you can burn." He sighed but followed her instructions.

"Do you want lunch or a swim? I think we've caught enough fish." She gestured to the ice filled esky that was now brimming with their catch.

"I vote swim." He said with an earth shattering grin

"Yeah me too."

They smiled at each other before quickly divesting of their clothes. Chance tried to stop himself from drooling when her first saw her. She was spectacular in her one piece swim suit. He was so distracted by her that she was already jumping in the water with a squeal.

Sam turned around to face him, wondering what was taking him so long. She noticed him staring almost in awe at her, his mouth agape and his hands halfway to removing his shirt. She could feel her cheeks start to redden so she quickly dove into the water.

"Come on slow poke, we don't have all day." She yelled out to him when she surfaced

Then she found herself almost gulping water as she tried to keep afloat. He had quickly stripped his shirt off and Sam let out a loud sigh. He was obviously a guy that worked out; he had a drool worthy six pack among other things. In fact his whole body was toned and breathe taking.

He ran toward the water but stopped dead with a groan at the coldness of the water. Sam laughed at him as he tiptoed into the water. He almost slipped on one of the mossy rocks and Sam's giggles grew even louder.

"Are you laughing?" He asked gruffly

"You should see yourself, it's hilarious." Sam replied with a giggle

"Well you asked for it then."

Before she could move away he caught up with her and pushed her under the water. She struggled against him until he let her up spluttering. She glared at him playfully then tried to push him under only to find him standing in the water that was almost over her head.

He started laughing at her defeated expression until a handful of water splashed him in the face. She darted away as fast as she could while trying to contain her giggles. A hand snatched her and dragged her back against his warm, muscular chest.

For a split second they both stopped breathing as they stared at each other, sparks flew between them. Their hearts were thudding wildly almost as one as Chance ran his fingers over her cheek and down to cup her face in his hand.

The movement startled Sam and she quickly pulled away and swam to shore. She berated herself the whole way. This wouldn't work; once he found out the truth about her he would wish that she had kept ignoring him. She had been surprised that Brandy hadn't already used it as an excuse to get closer to him. But that was probably because Sam had been trying to avoid him not get to know him.

Chance watched her leave as puzzled by her reaction as he was astounded by how much she affected him. No girl had ever made him feel this way and he had a reputation as a player in his old school. He was used to girls chasing him around until they drove him crazy, but for some obscure reason he preferred Sam to any of them. Even in the short amount of time they had spent together he wanted to be with her.

By the time he got out of the water, Sam had already wrapped herself in a towel and spread a blanket under the shady gum trees. She was unpacking the lunch she had brought for them and was setting it out.

"It's only sandwiches and carrot cake." She said breaking the silence and handing him a bottle of water.

They sat companionably next to each other as they munched away. Sam pretended that whatever had just happened wasn't important so she ignored it. A niggling in her stomach said otherwise but she pushed it away quickly.

Chance felt so at peace just sitting here watching the day slide away. He knew it was because here he didn't have to tiptoe around or perhaps say the wrong thing inadvertently and be punished for it. He was finally free to be himself and no one seemed to bring it out of him more than Sam. They may have only spent the day together yet he knew a bond was forming with her that he's never had with anyone else.

She hiccupped breaking the silence and he turned towards her laughing as she hiccupped even louder. She began making some peculiar faces as she tried to get rid of them but nothing worked. Each one increased in loudness until her face was beet red from embarrassment.

"Dammit." She said as she stood up to take a deep breath

"Don't...you...dare...laugh!" She demanded pointing at him and hiccupping between each word. She was just so adorable that he couldn't help the chuckle that escaped.

"You should see yourself." He said with a grin, repeating her words back to her

"I...Can't...Help...It." She finally got out.

She turned away from him in frustration how bloody humiliating! The shock of cold water against her back caused her to shriek. She looked back to see him grinning at her mischievously the bottle of water in his hands almost empty.

"Right! That's it." She stated

She rushed over to him and jumped on top of him tickling his sides mercilessly. Soon his laughter was uncontrollable as he tried to wiggle away from her ministrations. But she knew all the tricks and he was unable to escape.

"Okay I admit defeat." He spluttered while enjoying the way her body felt against his "At least it stopped your hiccups." He teased

Then as if she finally noticed their close proximity, she blushed deeply and moved herself away from him. He wanted to pull her back against him but he let her go. She tried to reposition the sodden towel around her so he quickly threw her his shirt.

"Here." She grabbed it and threw it on trying to distract herself from him only to find the most amazing smell envelop her.

"Thanks." She said softly

She sat back down next to him and yawned. She didn't have enough sleep then she got up extra early to be able to organise everything. The warmth of the day seeped into her as she leant back on her elbows, stretching pleasantly. Chance did the same and before long Sam found herself dozing off.

Chance woke to find his arms wrapped comfortably around Sam, with her snuggled up against him and their legs tangled together. He didn't want to move from the glorious sensations rushing through him except for the rock digging into his side.

"Sam." He whispered brushing her soft cheek lightly. She looked so innocent and yet so beautiful at the same time.

"Samantha." He called a little louder but she just made comical swishing motions with one hand and a scowl appeared on her face

"Sammy, come on you have to wake up."

In a second she was awake and staring at him wide eyed. Those gorgeous aqua eyes looked confused, startled and out of focus. She shook her head as if trying to dislodge a thought that strayed where it shouldn't.

"Hey it's okay." Chance said quietly

"Don't ever call me that again!" She said fiercely as she tried to coordinate her limbs to move

"What?" Chance asked in disbelief

"Tony used to call me that." She said it so sadly as tears formed in her eyes that he knew she was talking about her brother

"I'm sorry Sam. I didn't know." He apologised as he held her just a bit tighter against him

Unconsciously she snuggled close into his comforting warmth. Then almost as if she realised exactly where she was, she stiffened in his arms and he regrettably let her go. She turned her back to him drawing in upon herself.

"I am really sorry Sam." He said with deep remorse

She didn't say anything, she couldn't. She had liked hearing her name the way he said it with his accent, she had liked waking up to find his arms around her. She had liked it all far too much that she felt things slipping out of her tight control.

"Its fine, you didn't know." She finally said

"Please come here, I don't like to see you so sad."

He had sat up and now held his arms open to her. To her dismay she found herself caving into him. The solid warmth of his naked chest and his delicious scent surrounded her, soothing her frazzled nerves. She was comforted to feel his heart beating its steady rhythm. He pulled her closer and she sighed blissfully.

"Thanks. I wonder what the time is." She murmured quietly

"Dunno, late afternoon."

"We have to go soon."

"Guess so." He said not wanting to go anywhere

"Sorry I freaked out." She whispered

"If things were reversed I probably would have done the same." He said ruefully

She took one last deep breath before she forced herself to move. She pulled away slowly wishing briefly that she could stay here with him forever. Instead she pushed herself to her feet and began packing stuff away. He came to help her as he pulled on the spare shirt he'd brought with him. The drive home started silent and Chance was hoping that would change, but he wasn’t sure where to start.

"You can call me Sammy." Sam said quietly in the silence of the cab while Chance looked at her stunned

"Are you sure?" He asked and she just nodded ending the conversation

"I had a really good time today." She said a few minutes later so softly that he almost missed it

"Me too." He told her sending a brilliant smile her way

"Do you want to go riding tomorrow? I need to go check some of the fences. Unless you’re doing something with Brandy." She asked though her tone changed on her sisters name.

"I would love to." He smiled at her again already excited about the coming day

They arrived back at the house tired but happy. The unloading seemed to take forever but eventually it was all put away. They each had an end handle on the esky as they carried it into the house talking and laughing together.

The scene as they entered the kitchen was priceless and they both had to keep from laughing. Jim was severely berating Brandy for being out the whole night and not phoning in or telling them where she was going to be.

"So you've lost your car privileges for the first week back at school. Why can't you be more like your sister, she at least left us a note." He told her firmly

"Well where is she then, the oh so perfect twin?" Brandy asked sarcastically

"Behind you if you would care to look." Sam said coldly

"Hello you two, you managed to catch some eh?" Jim asked them cheerily

"I hope you cleaned them too." Lydia called out from inside the pantry

"Yes Mum." Sam answered with a smile as her mother poked her head out to look at them before ducking back in with Jim following her

Brandy looked from Sam to Chance and back again, he mind considering all the possibilities. Perhaps it hadn't been such a good idea to go drinking with her friends all night last night. She noticed that Sam was no longer pretending to be a boy but she also noticed the way they looked at each other and inwardly cursed.

"Why are you wearing his shirt?" Brandy demanded irately

"Um...Because we went swimming." Sam answered honestly "Why does it matter to you?"

"Because it looks awfully suspicious if you ask me." Brandy stated pretending to look at her nails while watching Sam's face flare with anger

"At least I'm not the town tart like some people in this house." Sam answered angrily getting in Brandy's face as they argued a bit longer

"Stop it!" Chance told them intervening between them "She's wearing my shirt because I gave it to her to wear. I happened to bring a spare with me okay? Not that it's any of your business."

He looked Sam in the eye and gestured to the kitchen counter. They both hoisted the esky up with a determined look. Sam was still furious at Brandy, how dare she insinuate that anything had happened when she was the one always sleeping with any guy she could find.

"C'mon Sammy, let’s go." Chance grabbed Sam's hand and walked out of the room

"Well I never thought that would happen." He heard Jim say with a smile in his voice as Brandy began squealing with anger. But Chance kept walking and they left the house together.

 ******************************************************

Hi all my readers,

There is only three chapters in here now because this book is up for sale!!!! Yes you can imagine my squealing right now! So if you would like to read furthur my book is available from Amazon. I have appreciated every comment, vote and fan from this story. You have all been such great supporters of my work.

I could never thank you all enough :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 1.4K 33
Two best friends, living together. Sounds great right? Well, Alex and Sam are in love with each-other which changes everything. Will Alex and Sam mak...
1.2K 114 51
Maya longs for stability. But with her mom suddenly losing her job and her house being mortgaged, she lands herself in the beach town of Destin, Flor...
60.5K 1.2K 44
All the way throughout elementary school it was always Bella, Leo, Liz, Flynn, Nate, Elliot and Amelia. They were all long time friends.. In the sop...
868 162 17
Sarah, Miss popular with a strong as hell will, is in her final year of highschool and plans to get through it like every other teenager. But that pl...