The Sporty Sister

By bookslifelove

Book 2 of 4: The Delafields Christiana Delafield is one of the top scorers on the Women's National Socce... More

Well, Damn
Not My Best
Paved with Good Intentions
Read My Mind
Jump On Another Horse
Dress the Part
On My Field
Lost and Found
Behind the Scenes
Rock Bottom
Let The Chips Fall Where They May
Kicking You When You're Down
Getting Back Up
Giving a Helping Hand
Turning a New Leaf
Making It All Better
What To Do
Solving Problems
Seeing the Light
Making It Right
Blood Brothers
The End and Beginning
Full Circle

Heart to Heart

58 5 0
By bookslifelove

Cole sat in his chair, staring blankly at the proposal Christi had left just a moment ago. Objectively, it was well thought out and organized. Then again, it also had his ex-best friend's name written all over it. Just knowing that that conniving bastard came up with this only made him madder. He knocked off the proposal just as his door opened. 

He looked up to see Ms. Richards, his CFO. 

"Did you know it is common courtesy to knock before entering?" he said as he crossed his arms across the desk. He planned to ignore the papers he childishly threw to the ground. 

"Yes. I know it is also common courtesy to receive a response after several repeated attempts."

Ms. Richards' calm and at times cold exterior both amazed and inflamed him. No matter his moods, she remained the same. Even when all the other employees walked on egg shells around him, she stood straight and without fear. 

"Can I help you?" 

"Yes. I need you to sign off on these measures. We talked about at the last meeting."

Cole nodded, but he didn't remember a thing from the last meeting. He was so focused on ignoring Danny and trying to figure out what he missed with their relationship. Did they have a whole conversation that he forgot? He couldn't let her know that. 

He tried to skim the information on the document, but he didn't really process it. While he signed his name, Josephine picked up the papers on the floor. She quickly read through the proposal, loving it all. 

"If you don't mind me saying, this proposal is very well done."

Cole scoffed. "Well, it doesn't matter. I don't think I will be backing it."

"Is it because Mr. Walton helped?" Cole looked up and narrowed his eyes. 

"Everyone has noticed that you two are not getting along. It has caused some tension among the staff."

"Oh and the staff has elected you their spokesman."

They had, but Josephine felt no need to rise to his sarcasm. 

"I just wanted to make you aware of the situation." Cole was sick and tired of people acting like he was the ass. He did nothing wrong except be a good friend and brother. He felt betrayed. Everyone wanted him to just suck it up and shut up.

"Well, let me tell you the actual situation. My so-called right hand lied to me as he slept with my sister. I only found out because he decided a good Christmas gift would be to try to sleep with her in my house. So, it is hard to work with someone who will lie behind your back like that." 

She looked uncomfortable for probably the first time Cole had ever saw since he had met her. He reveled in the rare occurrence, but felt slightly embarrassed that he had aired his dirty laundry out to his employee. He just was tired of holding it in. Usually Danny was his go-to. Without him, Cole felt lost. 

"I'm sorry that was inappropriate."

Then, she did something that he didn't expect. She sat down. Today, she wore a white sweater dress that contrasted greatly with her rich brown skin. 

"It is appropriate. We can't keep working like this. So, my advice to you is simple. You have to talk to him. You avoiding the issue is not going to fix it. Tell him this. You've been friends for years right? So why can't you tell him your feelings? He needs to know. Talk it out."

There it was. It was so simple, but sometimes it needed the right person to put it in just the right way. Josephine made him feel like an idiot for not seeing it, but he knew he didn't want to see it. He wanted to stay angry, but feel good at the same time. 

"Um. . .thanks, Ms. Richards. I appreciate that."

"It's fine. You can just call me Josey. I think we've earned that much."

Cole smiled. "Yes, we have. Cole then."

"Well Cole, do you need me to go over the meeting notes with you so you'll know what you're signing?"

Cole laughed loudly.  "If you don't mind."

"Not at all." She stood and began to explain the paperwork. So easily the topic returned to business matters. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Danny was researching some different matters for Christi. He was fine-tuning the legal ramification of the endeavor. He needed this to be successful for her. He knew she was more than a soccer star. She had so much to offer to the world. If he loved her, he should make sure she knew it too. 

He was so entrenched in the intricacies of the law code and endless rules that he didn't notice that it was getting late. He usually spent the morning with Christi and tended to work in the afternoon, but he hadn't meant to stay this late. 

There was a knock. Danny looked toward the door. 

"Come in," he said as he rubbed his eyes to get rid of his sleepiness. 

When he looked up, he saw the last person he expected: Cole. He looked mighty uncomfortable.  In his hand was a extra large pizza box. 

"Is that Salvatore's ?"

Cole gave a weak smile. "Only the best." 

"Well, come on in."

Cole walked in and had a seat on the couch. Danny walked over and sat opposite him. With the pizza box in the middle of both men, they ate in silently. Once the slices were gone, then it was still just them. 

"So do you want to start or should I?" asked Danny as he brushed his hands on his pants. 

"I'll let you talk first."

Danny took a deep breath. He loved his friendship with Cole. He gained a second family when he met Cole. Cole was his brother. Danny had a real brother named Michael, but Cole had clicked with him from the start. His real brother was a entitled preppy brat. 

"I just want to say that I love your sister very much. I never meant to hide it behind your back then and now. It just happened. Your sister is an amazing woman. As I was helping her, I couldn't help but fall in love with her. I would love your blessing, but if not, I will still date her."

"Then and now?" 

Damn! He hadn't meant to say that. Well, Christi probably didn't feel the need to bring up the past. 

"Well.  . ."

"How far back is then? I met you when we were eighteen. Christi was thirteen at the time." Cole jumped back in shock.  "What the hell?"

Danny stood up, knocking over the pizza box. "Seriously, Cole!"

"Well, you have been keeping secrets from me. I don't know, but please tell me I'm overreacting. I would hate to walk away from this by calling the police."

"Cole! Stop! If you remember, you were still in the process of securing an adoption of your sisters. I never actually met them. Besides, Christi was playing at games all the time. When I did meet her, she was taking a tour of the college. Of course, your sister skipped out on the tour and decided to explore on her own. She got lost and I helped. I didn't even know she was your sister at the time."

Cole scrunched his face in disgust, but he had to admit the timeline lined up. Those first few years were a jumbled mess, but it all rang true. 

"So you guys ho-got together in college. How long?"

"Just three months."

"3 months that you didn't tell me you were dating my sister."

"I would have told you eventually, but we were still figuring it out."

"Why did you break up?" Danny didn't want to relive this, but he knew he had to to convince Cole of his sincerity.

"Miscommunication like most couples." Danny sat back down. 

Cole picked up the forgotten pizza box before continuing. 

"Now, you're dating her. Again."

"Yes. I love her."

"That's not what I worried about Danny."

"Then, what are you so mad about?"

"It was us, Danny." Cole motioned between the two of them. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Millie By S

Romance

20.5K 1.9K 54
(Book 6) *Completed. Millicent Dawson and Wren Nomikos thought they were starting a forever... but six months later...it's over. Apparently, right p...
48 16 9
He's forbidden to love her, but she's his drug. Asher Spade is starting his senior year of university and preparing to take over one of his father's...
Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

238K 9.5K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
19.6K 323 11
BOOK 2: Started in Seattle: Abby Nelson has no family to support her, and an unfaithful boyfriend who seems to always lock her in. She is starting to...