Maze

By Tara676

(CURRENTLY REVAMPED!) (The Slices of Life, #1) For years, one thing that had always bothered Serena Wilton i... More

A/N
0
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33

1

3K 263 811
By Tara676

June 2006, 02:29 PM

"Rena! Come on down, your friends are here!"

I was lying down on my soft bed to play with my pink Nintendo DS when Mommy called out from downstairs.

"C-Coming!" I shouted back and rolled out of the bed. I brushed my messy hair then took deep breaths. They're finally here. Don't do stupid things, Rena.

This was the first time everyone decided to go to my house for our next meetup, with Edward behind the plan. They simply agreed with no questions, although Aly kept asking me if I was fine with them coming over.

"I'm just making sure you're not overwhelmed." I remembered her concerned look, but I told her it was totally okay.

Ever since I got to know Edward from the school trip, I have been hanging out with him and Aly at school or on the weekends. He even introduced me to his group of friends: Sebastian, Adelynn and Raphael. Now that all of them were here, this was the perfect time for me to interact with them more instead of hiding behind my best friend.

I can also be much closer to Edward too.

As soon as I opened the door to my room and heard the familiar voices of my friends, I tightly gripped on my DS. However, this wasn't the time to back off, so with a gulp, I walked down the stairs. As their conversations were becoming louder, so were my heartbeats in my ears.

Don't be nervous, Rena...

I slowly peeked from behind the wall, and there was the group, huddling on the sofa and playing their game consoles. Mommy was giving the strawberry milkshake she made this morning to Edward's mother, whom I could tell from the way a small part of her short wavy hair stood out of her head.

Okay, now you gotta come out and say hi—

"Rena, they're waiting for you!"

Mommy shouted again, and the way it pierce through my ears almost made me want to retreat back to my room. While my mind wanted to do just that, a part of myself was yelling at me to just step out already. Well, there was not much choice now that I was here... so I pushed myself from the wall and revealed myself.

"U-um, hey..." I greeted.

All of their conversations stopped as their eyes were all on me, I couldn't move at all, completely frozen in place. I instantly looked down, focusing on my own DS and summer dress instead. What am I doing?! Why am I acting so weird?!

"WHOA!!"

Out of nowhere, Edward cried out and leaped off his seat, nearly knocking the others off and making me jolt. He rushed towards me at the speed of light, and not even a second later, he was already right in front of me. My entire face felt even warmer than ever, because his blue eyes were literally inches away from mine.

"You got your own DS, finally!" He hungrily stared at the gadget in my hands. It seemed like he wanted to see more of it, so I gave my DS to him. He studied it as if it was a piece of gold, before he handed it back. "Come on, I'll show you how to set it up—"

"Gosh Chrissy, can you just chill out for a sec? You're always freaking her out!" Aly huffed, as she walked towards us. "Besides, I already helped her set everything up yesterday, so she's good to go!" She beamed at me. "Right Rena?"

"Um, yeah..." I watched as the others had also followed behind Aly. Both Adelynn and Raphael waved their hands at me, while Sebastian smiled without a word. I managed to return all of their greetings before they spoke with each other again.

"Well, let's jump into it!" Edward dashed back towards the couch. "Oh yeah Buttercup, you said you wanna trade Haunter with Clamperl, right? I really need a Gengar."

"Oh ho, you actually remembered!" Aly gasped, covering her mouth. "Now I don't have to remind you all the time!"

"Awh man, I wanted a Gengar too!" Raphael groaned. "Sebby, you have one?"

"Not a fan of those ghost weirdos," Sebastian answered, waving the back of his hand. "Lynn might have one though."

The group were all busy with their own games again. Before I could join them though, I stopped when Mommy's giggles sounded out from the dining room. "Ed's so bubbly! My daughter has always been shy with other people, so I'm so happy to see him getting along with her!"

"Haha yeah, he loves hanging out with everyone. He's so excited when he tells me they're all going to your house." Edward's mom responded. "Also, your milkshake's getting so much better than before!"

"Ah, thanks! Blake still said it's too watery and bland though."

"Hey Rena, do you have Pokemon?" asked Edward, snapping me out of my thoughts, but the mention of that familiar game had me nodding my head furiously. He quickly grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards the couch. "Let's play it together! I'm so gonna teach you lots of awesome stuff!"

Lately, Edward and the others have been discussing Pokemon; whether it was at school or somewhere else. I ended up watching his or Aly's gameplay, listening to their squeals and high-fives whenever they did something big. Obviously I was missing out a lot, so I convinced my parents to get a DS and the game for my birthday.

Best present ever!

Just like every other day, Edward was being the jolly boy. Whenever he was around, he would shine among everyone, throwing off any gloomy energy. Even with bad situations, his hopes would never go away, and those bright eyes he had, it made my body flutter every single time.

"So, what starter Pokemon did you pick? Have you battled any trainers or gyms yet? What Pokemon have you caught?" He began tossing me all kinds of questions.

"Chrissy, give her a moment!" scolded Aly.

"He's sooo into it, huh?" Adelynn said, laughing quietly.

"Um, I haven't played the g-game yet, so... I don't really know much..." I murmured lamely, busting his bubble. I was ready to see his disappointment at my lack of knowledge of the game, but instead...

"That's even better!! I can help you set up the best Pokemon team you'll ever have, and give you some useful tips, and trade with you. How's that sound?"

"Yeah, s-sure," I stammered, and he was quick to pump his fists in victory. I didn't want him—and obviously my other friends—to notice my hot, reddening cheeks, so I shoved my hat down to my face. Not only did I have the chance to play Pokemon with him, he was willing to teach me how to play!

"Oh guys, I've got an idea. How about we all go somewhere to play Pokemon?" he suggested, "Feels kinda weird if we're just gonna stay here all day."

"And that somewhere is...?" Aly raised one of her brows.

"The park!"

Of course, he would choose that place. Even if he had brought me to that spot so many times I lost count, I would never once get bored of it.

"Huh, again?! Geez, not only there's nothing to see... we just went there last week!"

"See, this is why I don't tell you," Edward grumbled under his breath. "You're complaining about it all the time."

"Just ignore her, Chris," Sebastian commented, keeping his attention on his console. "A simpleton like her would always find something to complain about."

"Shut up, weirdo," Aly hurled back. "Also, I don't wanna hear that from you."

"Gosh, my ears are bleeding." 

"Good, I'll make them bleed more!"

When Ed said Aly and Sebastian butt heads like they're bulls, he's really not joking. While Adelynn sighed and Raphael laughed at their quarrel, I decided to switch my DS on and load up Pokemon. This was the first ever video game I ever owned and played by myself, so I was definitely looking forward to all of the adventures.

"Mom!!" Edward called out for her, who popped out of the kitchen alongside Mommy. "Can we all go and play at the park? Pleeease?" he pleaded.

"Only if you promise me to get home before dark and not wander off elsewhere," she replied with such a stern voice. Mommy said nothing, although she nodded in agreement.

"Don't worry, we'll get home before dinner!"

Without hesitation, Edward slipped his DS into his hoodie and strode towards the door, with others quickly pursuing—especially Raphael—after him. Aly rolled her eyes and shook her head, but she stayed close with me as we marched right into the sidewalk. I held tight onto my DS; there was no way I would want to waste my parents' money by dropping it.

Finally... I don't have to feel left out anymore!

***

When we arrived, we chose to settle down on the park gazebo facing the endless ocean, while the colorful Ferris wheel still stood there in the distance. Small boats drifted through the waters as the hot sun shone down on them all.

Game noises rang throughout the gazebo as we all continued playing our DS. Sebastian and Raphael were chatting about some strategies, Adelynn was busy battling some Pokemon... then there was me, stuck in the part where I have to pick one of the three Pokemon starters as my partner. And right now, both Aly and Edward were giving out different answers.

"You should choose Mudkip. He's cute but also has the strongest stats!" advised Edward, referring to the small, blue Pokemon with a large fin on its head.

"Nuh-uh! I would say Treecko. He's strong and looks so badass," Aly added, pushing him aside and showing me the green gecko-like Pokemon.

"Hmm." He crossed his arms, "Treecko's pretty weak for a starter."

"My Treecko has been awesome. Also, gotta choose something that's not overrated, at least!"

"But overrated means it's good!"

They're both cute though... I turned back to my console, flipping through the three starters as if it would help with my decision. However, I found myself staring at the orange chick-like Pokemon, whose beady eyes and huge legs made me want to hug it so bad...

Sebastian abruptly let out a loud groan, interrupting Edward and Aly from their debate. "God, you two are so annoying... just let her choose what she likes." He jerked his head towards my direction. "Looks like she's more into Torchic than the others."

Both of my friends blinked repeatedly at each other, before they turned towards me. I didn't say anything; I immediately stared down at my DS, particularly at the adorable Pokemon I was more attracted to. Are they gonna say he's not worth the shot...?

"I mean, Torchic isn't that bad!" Edward placed his arms behind his head. "His evolution's super strong, especially when you're gonna balance out your team later. Good choice, Rena!"

His broad grin returned as fast as it had disappeared earlier. At the sight, my tummy felt extremely funny; like there were many butterflies flying inside of it. I couldn't help but to get all giddy while I finally clicked on Torchic to secure my decision. I can't get enough of him... It's too cute.

"You were literally gushing over Mudkip." Aly narrowed her eyes.

"But I never said anything about Torchic," retorted Edward as he shrugged, before he dropped down on the spot in front of me, concentrating on his own game. If I'm not wrong... he's gonna battle a gym soon.

I looked over to Sebastian, quickly meeting his light brown eyes, which had been staring at me for some reason. Something interesting with him was the fact he had bright silver hair, hidden underneath his hat. I have always wanted to ask him how his hair turned out that way, but it could get him upset, so I would rather push my curiosity down. Whatever it is, I still have to thank him for what he has done...

"T-Thanks, S-Sebastian," I managed to mumble under my breath.

"Oh! Uh... it's not a big deal." He looked as though he was taken aback, but he kept a small smile. "Just call me Seb. It's much simpler and saves you time."

I got to talk to him! I nodded quietly, before continuing with the game. My Torchic was then sent out to confront a brown dog-like Pokemon called Zigzagoon—a word difficult to pronounce—who had been causing troubles. Its growls blasted out through the speakers.

"Rena, what are you on right now? I wanna help!" Edward suddenly plopped beside me. When his shoulders and arm brushed against mine, my heart was literally racing like a car while every part of me tightened. My mind was screaming at me to calm down, but... how could I when he was sitting so close I could feel his breaths?!

"Um, I'm going for my f-f-first battle..." I stumbled upon my answer, but I still forced words to come out of my mouth.

"Ah, this one is a guaranteed win!" He exclaimed. "So in these battles, your Pokemon can use its Moves to attack and defend against your enemies. As you progress and defeat more people, your team can level up, get stronger and even evolve!"

"I-I see..." Lots of info to take there...

"Some battles can get challenging though, especially when you have to challenge gyms and all the stronger trainers ahead!" He went on. "But, this is still the first part of the game, you don't really have to think much. Just keep using Tackle until your enemy faints, and you'll be good to go!"

I did all what he instructed, and watched as Zigzagoon's health bar was knocked down to half after my Torchic pounced on it. However, it didn't hesitate to attack back, which made my chest pound.

"Keep using Tackle!" he suggested as he watched me. "You got this!"

I was basically clicking on the Tackle option so many times my fingers began to hurt. It was all for a good cause, because the next thing I knew, Zigzagoon's health bar finally got to zero, and it immediately fainted. I breathed out a sigh of relief and leaned against the wood.

"You did it, awesome!" congratulated Edward as he raised his arm for a high five; the similar ones he had done with Aly and his other friends when they won something. But this is my first battle though... It's nothing too big, does it deserve that much?

However, it didn't matter to Edward. He never once lifted his hand down until I could respond to it in some way. This was so typical of him; he would congratulate literally any achievements, even as simple as learning something new.

My heart was dancing on its own as I lifted my hand and slapped his open palm. But that's why I've always admired him. Always so pumped up about the little things.

At least... for now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

367 15 17
Lexie and Ally are best friends. They are extremely close. The story follows the pair as they slowly discover new feelings and come to terms with tho...
18.2K 486 43
"my life had changed in ways I couldn't rearrange and all I saw was you." • • • Maya catches feelings for a new student. She's never felt this way in...
1.2M 48.4K 63
{18+ COLLEGE ROMANCE COMPLETED} What sucks more than being rejected by the girl of your dreams? Finding out afterward that she's moving in with you...
1K 66 29
Football player meets figure skater Moving to the middle of nowhere, to a place called Arizona? The desert! Yep, that's my luck. And to top it off, I...