Bring Me To Life | The Origin...

Door BehindGrayEyes

Bring Me To Life » She Built A World Of Magic, Because Her Real Life Was Tragic After the events of the Harve... Meer

Introduction
Edits
Prologue »
House of the Rising Son
Tangled Up In Blue
Girl In New Orleans
Sinners and Saints
Fruit of the Poisoned Tree
Friends with Chocolate (And Alcohol)
Bloodletting
The River in Reverse
A Drop In The Ocean, A Change In The Weather
The Casket Girls
Après Moi Le Déluge
Wake Me Up When It's All Over
Dance Back From The Grave
If It's Not Okay, Then It's Not Over
You Might've Won the Battle, But Not the Entire War
Long Way Back From Hell
Le Grand Guignol
Farewell to Storyville
Always Darkest Before the Dawn
Difficult Roads Lead to Beautiful Destinations (Hypothetically)
Moon Over Bourbon Street
An Unblinking Death
It's Our Paradise, It's Our Warzone, And It's Our Home
A Closer Walk With Thee
On This Night, And In This Light
Sometimes Reality Is Better Than Dreams
The Battle of New Orleans
Authors Note
Letters to an Innocent
From a Cradle to a Grave
The End of the Beginning

The Big Uneasy

14.3K 317 193
Door BehindGrayEyes

Change was said to be a good thing; it could either be defined as a fresh start or a second chance. The only way to build the life you want was to focus your energy, not on fighting the old, but sculpting the new. Second chances were not freely handed out to make things right, but were given as a chance to prove that you could be better even after we've fallen. Most of the time it wasn't about fixing something that was broken, it was about starting over and creating something better for yourself.

Imogen cringed to herself as she approached the entrance to the Abattoir, the loud clanging of construction work could be heard even from outside. She frowned in confusion as she quickened her pace towards the entrance, her high heels clicking loudly on the granite flooring. The smell of sawdust and sweat reached her moments before she entered the building, her eyes widening when she saw the construction workers milling around the courtyard. Several of them nodded at her in greeting as they walked pass but none of them paused in their assigned tasks and she narrowed her eyes at the scene as she glanced around from someone she recognised.

Exhaustion ebbed at the witch as she sighed to herself tiredly, rubbing her forehead with two fingers, and she mentally scolded herself for not taking the sleeping pill the night before when she couldn't fall to sleep. She had spent majority of the night studying her textbooks for an Advanced Adolescent Psychology exam, mainlining caffeine in order to stay awake and when she did attempt to go to sleep her dreams were plagued by nightmares of the past. Normally, she was able to suppress the memories that haunted her but she had no control over her subconscious mind. As a consequence she was wandering around on basically 'empty' and she couldn't wait until she could sit down at lunch with Elijah.

"Hello?!" she called out with a frown on her lips as she hiked her satchel higher up on her shoulder, attempting to be heard over the ruckus the construction caused. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion as she wandered further into the structure, carefully avoiding the workers that were carrying tools or lengths of wood across the courtyard.

"Hello, darling." Elijah called down from the balcony above and she immediately turned in the direction of his voice with a scowl, but any harsh words died on her lips the moment she laid eyes on him.

The Original stood in a causal black V-neck shirt and jeans, a sight that on its own caused her pulse to race, but he was also sporting a bright yellow construction helmet. Almost immediately images of him wearing only the construction helmet entered her mind, forcing any other coherent thought to stop in its tracks and she inhaled sharply as her blue eyes darkened with undisclosed desire. There was something so tempting about a man as perfectly put together as Elijah taking part in manual labour; of his muscles rippling as he moved and of the masculine scent of sweat as drops beaded on his forehead. She could easily imagine him covered in sweat for another purpose, a more desirable purpose.

Imogen's mouth suddenly felt dry as she tried to swallow but it felt like she had eaten a stick of chalk and all she could do was gape at him, her exhausted mind trying to play catch up with her libido. She was vaguely aware of the people surrounding her as she stood immobile in the middle of the courtyard but he was the only thing she could see. A flush spread across her cheeks as she shifted uncomfortably, attempting to relieve the tension building in her stomach and she bit the inside of her cheek harshly to clear her clouded thoughts.

It was obvious that her exhausted state was effecting her more than she thought because she was normally an expert at suppressing her hormonal urges. Imogen cleared her throat delicately as she adverted her gaze, folding her arms over her chest and shaking her head slightly to clear it of the images in her mind like some sort of dirty etch-a-sketch.

"Wha – what exactly is going on around here?" she asked in a hoarse voice as she pointedly turned away from the dashing man descending the stairs, gesturing wildly with her arm towards the construction taking place in an attempt to distract him from her current flushed state.

"I thought it was time for a change. A little sprucing up to accentuate the beginning of a new era in the Quarter." Elijah answered calmly as he came to a stop next to the witch, the hint of humour in his voice was unmistakable and she knew from that alone that he was aware of her blatant arousal as she forced herself not to glance in his direction.

"Hmm. Well, are you ready for lunch, or are you having fun playing Bob the Builder?" she asked him in a teasing tone of voice, her wits coming back to her now that she was composed and he gave her an unamused look as she turned her body to face him with a playful smile on her lips. His oak brown eyes seemed to soften as he gazed at her intently and took off the brightly coloured hardhat before setting it on her head, causing her to giggle in an uncharacteristic manner. "How do I look? Cute?"

"Adorable." he corrected her softly as he took a step closer so that she could feel the heat emitting from his body and she grinned up at him as he cupped the side of her neck, grazing his thumb over her pulse point. She hummed in contentment as she leaned into his touch with her eyes closed, feeling relaxed for the first time since she left her apartment that morning.

Elijah sighed to himself as he rubbed his thumb over the underside of her jaw, marvelling at the softness of her flawless skin and the warmth that rushed through her veins beneath his touch. It was fascinating witnessing the flush that followed in the wake of even the barest touch on her skin and the sight caused his mind to wander, made him wonder if other parts of her body suffered the same affliction.

Imogen opened her eyes when he didn't say anything more and instantly narrowed them at the dazed expression that was fixated on his features as he gazed down the length of her body. His oak brown eyes had darkened considerably with lust as he absentmindedly ran his tongue over his lower lip and she felt a spike of heat spark through her as her own arousal was heightened by his obvious approval.

"Enough with all the racket!" Klaus shouted loudly above the noise, causing the couple to turn towards where he was standing against the balcony railing with a familiar redheaded witch beside him. Imogen immediately rolled her blue eyes at them as Elijah dropped his hand from her throat and instead slipped his arm around her waist as he guided her towards the bottom of the staircase.

"Is there a problem, brother?" Elijah asked nonchalantly, not bothered by his brothers murderous expression in the least as he had been on the receiving end of his wrath on more than one occasion and could now determine which mood meant mildly annoyed and which meant it was time to hide the silver daggers. Klaus narrowed his eyes threateningly in frustration as he glared down at his older brother and Elijah turned slightly towards the courtyard with a sigh before raising his voice over the noise as he called out dismissively, "Gentlemen, please."

Imogen quirked an impressed eyebrow as the noise came to an immediate stop, the sudden silence causing a slight ringing in her ears and she watched the construction workers leave the courtyard without waiting for an explanation. It sometimes awed her to witness the influence that Elijah possessed and it was fascinating to watch him wield that authority like a knight would a sword as he marched into a battle of wills and intellect.

"I agreed to a general sprucing up, not a bloody three-ring circus." Klaus complained in a grumble as he started making his way down the staircase with a scowl on his lips and Genevieve smiled serenely in amusement as she followed behind him, rolling her eyes fondly at his attitude.

"Marcel and his minions abused our home for the better part of a century. Now, you might be content to live in squalor. I'm not." Elijah retorted shortly as he cast a distrustful glance towards the redheaded witch descending the staircase behind his brother and Imogen nudged his side warningly with her elbow, quirking an eyebrow pointedly when he looked down at her in mock confusion. She tilted her head to the side as she pursed her lips and he sighed slightly under his breath as he gave a subtle nod no one else would notice if they weren't looking for it the movement.

Genevieve watched the intimate form of communication between the eldest Mikaelson and the Claire witch, her eyes narrowed suspiciously as she came down the last few steps. She had heard the rumours circling the Quarter, it seemed that everyone was speaking about the longing looks that had been exchanged or the secret meetings that took place in her private apartment. It was common knowledge that both Claire sisters were protected, that they had a connection to prominent members of each Faction and even those on the other side of the river. Imogen's relationship with the vampire community was part of the reason why she had been cast aside by the coven and even though it had isolated her from everything she had ever known, she continued to stand up for what she believed in.

Genevieve couldn't help been a little in awe of the other witch despite their differences. On the other side there was nothing to do but watch the lives of the living down below and Imogen was definitely one of the more interesting cases.

"I agree with your brother. It's a new era in the French Quarter. This place could use a makeover." The elder witch said causally as she looked around the half completed courtyard and then spun back around to face to the eldest Original, the small smile on her lips faltering slightly at the blank expression on his face.

"Careful, Elijah. When this one agrees with you, it's a sure sign she wants something." Klaus told his brother with a raised eyebrow, leaning down to press a kiss to Imogen's cheek as he strolled passed them. Imogen scrunched her nose playfully at the gesture, but felt privileged to be on the receiving end of what she knew was probably the most affection he had the capacity of displaying in public.

The two other supernatural's who witnessed the action both frowned in synchronisation, a mixture of confusion and jealousy warring inside of them. Genevieve shifted uncomfortably with a saddened expression; she already had to compete with the blonde bartender, and now she had to worry about another witch fighting for the hybrid's attention?

In the past Elijah and Niklaus had displayed the same taste in female companionship (as evidenced by their shared relationship with the original doppelgänger back when they were human) and the eldest Mikaelson severely hoped that that wasn't the case where Imogen was concerned. With the sudden change in leadership among the vampires of the Quarter and the pending arrival of Niklaus' child, there was enough that they had to worry about without fighting each other.

Elijah felt a small swell of jealous inside of him, burning in the pit of his stomach but it faded completely when the witch beside him threaded her arm through his possessively and turned to face Genevieve with a charming smile plastered on her lips as she spoke confidently in a teasing tone, "Ignore them. Apparently, they never outgrew their brutish Viking sensibilities."

"Oh, how well she knows you, Niklaus." Elijah added in jest as he sent a smirk over his shoulder at his younger brother and Klaus laughed mockingly as he poured himself a glass of bourbon from the bar on the side of the courtyard.

"Oh, don't think I wasn't talking about you too. Please, take notice of the use pluralised vocabulary." she told him pointedly with a raised eyebrow as she extracted herself from his arm, her blue eyes shining with mirth as she attempted to remain serious but her lips subconsciously turned up at the corners. Elijah grinned charmingly, not deterred in the least as he looped his arm around her waist and gently tugged her towards him as she fought the urge to smile in response to his boldness in front of others because he was generally more reserved.

"Enough with the flirting. You're causing me to long for the hullabaloo of construction work." Klaus grumbled loudly as he strolled closer to them with a twinkle in his light blue eyes, enjoying the opportunity to disturb his older brother's happiness.

Imogen rolled her eyes at him with a pout on her lips as Elijah sighed loudly in disappointment but dropped a kiss to her forehead and took a step back in order to put some distance between the two of them. She slipped her arm comfortably around his waist as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and she sighed in contentment before remembering that they weren't alone. Proper manners forced her to turn her attention to the redheaded witch as she plastered a smile on her lips and stretched out a hand as she spoke politely in the most sincere tone she could muster, "We haven't been formally introduced. I'm Imogen."

"Genevieve. Pleased to meet you, Imogen." the other witch returned the greeting with a small smile on her lips, even though her eyes were hard as stone and Imogen tilted her head to the side in consideration as her gaze dropped to the dark spot gracing the other woman's familiar blouse. A memory rushed to the surface of her mind and she remembered clearly the day that Davina, whom had apparently forgotten to wash her hands after sketching, inadvertently stained the shirt when she gave her sister a hug.

"Is that my shirt?" she asked in surprise as she pointed towards the smudge of charcoal on the material and Genevieve gasped in realisation as she glanced down at the article of clothing dawning her body with wide eyes, like it had just occurred to her that it belonged to someone else.

"Oh, yes. I apologise. My own was destroyed last night..." she explained in an embarrassed tone of voice as a blush spread across her cheeks, eyes downcast even as a small smile played on her lips and Klaus chuckled lowly in the background as though he was recalling a fond memory. "Hayley is wearing maternity clothing, and I would rather not wearing anything of Rebekah's given our unfortunate history, so yours was the most appealing option."

Imogen tightened her grip on Elijah's arm as she dug her nails into his material of his shirt in an effort to ease some of her anger and she forced a tight smile onto her lips as she offered a strained, "Of course."

"I'll have it dry-cleaned and returned."

"Oh no, please, keep it. It looks better on you than me anyway." She replied in an offhanded manner as she waved her free hand in the air dismissively and Genevieve smiled gratefully as she inclined her head slightly before strolling past the couple towards her hybrid lover. Imogen watched the other woman's retreating back through narrowed eyes as she leaned closer to Elijah and lowered her voice to a whisper so that no mortal would hear her as she quipped under her breath, "Plus, it saves me the trouble of having to burn it later on."

Elijah chuckled in amusement as he ducked his head to hide the smirk on his lips and Imogen grinned angelically when Klaus looked in their direction suspiciously, overhearing the comment but not drawing unnecessary attention to their obvious dislike to his current bed mate.

"Actually I do have a request." Genevieve announced suddenly as though a thought had just occurred to her in that moment and everyone turned their attention to the redhead as she beamed brightly at the eldest Mikaelson brother with her hands clasped in front of her stomach. "I'm told our coven hasn't been able to celebrate feast days in the open since Marcel restricted the use of magic. Now with the new peace, I'd like that to change."

"Am I to assume that you have a certain feast day in mind?" Elijah asked knowingly as he shared an amused look with the witch next to him before turning back to the elder, quirking an eyebrow at her as he waited for an answer.

"La Fête des Bénêdictions. Feast of the Blessings. In the past, members of the community offered witches gifts in exchange for blessings. We'd like to use it as a forum for introducing our young Harvest girls to society."

"So your coven attempted to destroy my family-- and you yourself held my siblings in unspeakable torment-- and you would like a party for the witches?"

"I made my amends with your brother."

"Oh? Is that what the kids are calling it these days?" Imogen asked with mock innocence as she tilted her head to the side with a purse of her lips and both of the Mikaelson's chuckled at the comment but Genevieve snapped her head around to glare at her heatedly.

After a moment of silence, the redhead plastered a polite smile on her lips as she turned back to face Elijah and made sure to keep her voice at a level tone because she knew that offending the brunette wouldn't help gain the Originals favour when making a request for the coven. "Why don't you think it over?"

Imogen held back a victorious grin as she watched the redhead walk out of the courtyard without looking over her shoulder, knowing it was childish and immature to feel so satisfied one-upping someone she didn't particularly like. It reminded her of high school, of the constant fight to be on top and it made her feel sick to think she was reverting back to the person she was when she was a teenager. It pained her to admit that she sometimes allowed her frustration to get the best of her when faced with adversity and sometimes she used to ability to seek out someone's vulnerability, only to use it against them in a verbal battle against those weaker than themselves. The protective streak that had developed inside of her while raising her younger sister seemed to extend to anyone who was being taken advantage of, either physically or emotionally. It had given her and Sophie the reputation of rebels, of outcasts not to be messed with unless you liked the bitter aftertaste regret in your mouth.

In the back of her mind she knew that the situation with Genevieve had to be handled with the utmost care; it didn't escape her attention that anything she did to offend the other woman could end up backfiring and affecting Davina's position in the coven or the peace treaty that had just been established.

"Oh, don't be such a stiff, Elijah. The tourists love a good festival. Besides, what better way to cement the solidarity than a show of faith toward a one-time enemy?" Klaus asked rhetorically in a jovial voice as he set his now empty glass on the countertop with a smirk on his lips and Imogen unwrapped her arm from Elijah's as she rolled her eyes at what she was sure was going to be an argument between the brothers, having recognised the challenging tone of a younger sibling wanting to antagonise.

"A onetime enemy with whom you've grown rather nauseatingly intimate." Elijah remarked in a condemning tone of voice as he raised an eyebrow at his brother almost teasingly but with a hint of displeasure. His gaze flickered momentarily to the brunette witch who had moved to lean against a table pushed to the side of the room during the renovation and she quirked an eyebrow at him as she shook her head disapprovingly with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Well, who said maintaining alliances can't be fun?"

"One would think you'd be a little more interested in attending to the needs of the mother of your child."

"Elijah, the truth is, the mother of my child is werewolf royalty. She's far safer in the Bayou with her pack than she would ever be here with us. Don't worry. I'll bring her home before the birth. No child of mine will be born in a swamp." Klaus informed them with a grin as he clapped his brother on the shoulder, a little rougher than was necessary and Elijah narrowed his eyes as he fought the urge to slap the back of his head in reprimand like he used to when they were children.

"I agree with Klaus. I don't like Genevieve but allowing the witches to celebrate a festival would prove that you're going to honour the treaty. If you're going to be allies, you have to respect their rituals and beliefs." Imogen interjected casually from where she was standing across the courtyard and the hybrid pointed at her with a smug expression, pleased that someone was on his side of the argument. She flashed him a brief smile before turning her attention to her date with a knowing look on her face and she strolled towards him until she was right next to him, resting a hand on his arm as she tilted her head to the side. "Diplomacy is one of your strongest attributes, Elijah. You know that allowing this celebration is in the best interest of everyone involved."

"It seems as though diplomacy is one of your strongest attributes, as well." he commented in a slightly sardonic tone of voice as he slipped an arm around her waist and she grinned up at him brightly, not taking offence as he seemed to contemplate her words of wisdom with a thoughtful expression. She exchanged a look with the hybrid, both of them knowing that he was going to end up giving in to the request because in the long run it was in the best interest of the supernatural community.

"Genevieve mentioned that the witches were going to use the festivities as a forum to introduce the Harvest girls. That means Davina will be in attendance. Are you really going to deprive your lady love of the chance to see her little sister?" Klaus needled his older brother in a faux-innocent tone of voice as he clasped his hands behind his back and Elijah levelled him with a deadpan glare as he subconsciously tightened his hold on the brunette's waist without a word.

"Don't use me as a bargaining chip when I'm a) on your side, and b) in the room." Imogen protested light-heartedly as she glared at the blonde haired man jokingly and he shrugged unrepentantly with a smirk on his lips as she shook her head at him mockingly.

If there was one thing that Imogen excelled at, it was using her abilities to manipulate people into doing what she wanted while thinking that it was their idea and she hated to abuse the talent, especially when it came to people that she actually admired but desperate times called for desperate measures. She placed her hand on Elijah's chest, over his heart as she kept her eyes on the hybrid and she made sure her voice didn't waver as she directed her comment at him even though it was indirectly aimed at his brother, "And Elijah isn't going to abuse his place in the community because of our relationship. If he decides to allow the festival, it will be because he knows it's the right thing to do given the situation and the already tremulous state of affairs between the Factions."

The eldest Mikaelson rolled his oak brown eyes at blatant attempt to manipulate him into agreeing to the La Fête des Bénêdictions but couldn't help the small smile that spread across his lips as he glanced down at the witch. Her blue eyes gazed up at him innocently, a hint of mischief hidden in their depths and he felt a familiar tug in his chest before quickly looking away when he realised where and when he had felt something similar in the past. He knew from past experience that nothing good could come from recognising the feeling, not even to himself in the deepest recess of his mind.

Imogen frowned in confusion at the obvious dismissal as she dropped her hand from his chest, fighting the urge to step away from him because she knew that any sudden movements would alert him to her unease. One moment he was gazing down at her with a glint in his oak brown eyes that she had never seen anyone direct at her, causing a warmth to spread through her veins and then the next, it was as though she was a complete stranger standing in the circle of his arms. The change was so out of the blue that it almost gave her whiplash, but she decided that she had more important things to deal with than whatever emotional turmoil Elijah had gone through in the time it took to blink. She wasn't going to pout or cry over some man, no matter how much she liked him, because it just wasn't the kind of person that she was and never had been. In her opinion, the smartest thing a woman could learn was to never need a man and she wasn't going to change her beliefs for anyone, if someone didn't want to be with her than she didn't want to be with them.

"You can both stop the disgraceful attempts to manipulate me. The witches may have their festival, because Imogen's correct, it is in the best interest of maintaining peace among the Factions." Elijah told them both in an assertive tone of voice as he dropped his arm with an unamused expression and Imogen grinned in satisfaction as she strategically moved herself out of his embrace, ignoring the frown that flickered across his face in her peripheral vision.

"Ah! I'm glad that I won't have to wait in order to give Davina her gift." Klaus said in a pleased tone as he clapped his brother on the shoulder with a slight smile on his lips and the witch instantly snapped her head around to look at him with a worried frown, knowing that not many of his 'gifts' were appreciated by the reciprocate. He held up his hands in surrender when he noticed the fierce protective glare she was directing at him and he knew that if looks could kill, he would be on burning to death at that very instant. He couldn't help smirking slightly as he reached into his jacket pocket and tossed her the black velvet jewellery box, smiling when she caught it instinctively when it flew towards her body. She levelled him with a suspicious look as she opened the lid of the box and then gasped out loud when she saw the masculine silver-plated lapis lazuli ring sitting inside.

"You're going to ask Davina to marry you?" she asked in confusion without lifting her head to look at him as a frown marred her lips and he laughed genuinely at her expression as he shook his head on amusement.

"No, I'm going to pardon young Joshua and give her the means to create him a daylight ring."

Imogen snapped her head up the moment the words registered in her mind, when she realised the meaning behind them and the significance of the outcome if it was true. She pursed her lips thoughtfully as she scrutinised his expression, trying to gauge how genuine his comment was as she took a step closer to him. It wasn't often that Klaus Mikaelson did something selfless, with no benefit to himself, so it was understandable that she was a little sceptic of his motivation. Because she didn't want Josh to become collateral damage in whatever scheme he was planning.

In the short amount of time that she had known the newly turned vampire, he had become an important part of her life. It wasn't often that she felt such an instant connection with someone but Josh, with his adorable smile and relatable personality had somehow inched his way into her heart. The way he spoke about his emotionally abusive parents, of how they disregarded everything that he believed in and belittled those beliefs, reminded her of the relationship between her parents and herself. She had been incredibly grateful for everything that he did in order to protect Davina before the Harvest ritual, for the kind of person he was because he was exactly what she needed in those last few weeks. Even after her death, Josh made sure to visit and text Imogen at least once a week, doing nothing but spending time together and watching television shows (she let him introduce her to the wonder that was Game of Thrones and she pestered him until he agreed to sit through an episode of I Love Lucy). After he had been banished from the Quarter, she made the effort to cross the river in order to see him and they would get lunch or go to the cinemas together. In that time their relationship had grown into something similar to that of siblings, and Imogen was more than happy with that arrangement as she had always wanted a brother.

"You're serious, right? Because I can and I will find Papa Tunde's mystical dagger!" Imogen exclaimed threateningly as she pointed a finger in the hybrids direction accusingly, her eyes narrowed flashing with unreleased rage.

"I assure you, love, my intentions are honourable." he told her genuinely with a completely open expression as he held his hands up in a sigh of surrender, having spent more than enough years dealing with Rebekah's temper tantrums to know that it was better to make no sudden movements. He frowned in confusion when she suddenly beamed at him as though he had just handed her the moon and she threw herself towards him as she wrapped her arms around his neck, causing him to stumble backwards in surprise. "What – what's happening?"

He looked over the girl's shoulders towards his brother for direction on what to do but Elijah merely raised his eyebrow in amusement at his panicked expression and Klaus scowled at him heatedly before he awkwardly patted her back with a grimace.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you..." Imogen repeated over and over again in a chant as she pulled back from the embrace and proceeded to press chaste kisses all over his face as he cringed at the show of affection. A bright grin was plastered on her lips as she took a step back from him, the delight shining in her blue eyes was obvious and he couldn't help feeling a little bit proud of himself for being the one who brought her that happiness.

"You're welcome, sweetheart. Now, I have important business to take care of, so if you'll excuse me..." he stated in an impassive tone as he backed away from her as though she was going to attack him once more, plucking the ring box from her hand in the process, but she merely continued to grin happily as she placed her clasped hands in front of her mouth. He honestly couldn't remember the last time someone looked at him with that much gratitude or genuine affection and it frightened him to the depths of his soul, or what was left of his mangled soul.

Imogen watched the hybrid's retreating back until he was no longer in sight and then let out an excited high-pitched squeal that was muffled by her clasped together hands. Tears burned the back of her eyes but she took a deep breath to calm herself down and forced herself not to bounce on her toes in excitement. The ecstatic grin was etched onto her lips as she spun around to face Elijah, putting the unresolved tension between them on the backburner as she grabbed his hand and began dragging him towards the spiral staircase that led to the second floor of the Abattoir.

There was an obvious skip in her step as Elijah followed her obediently with a confused frown on his lips, not entirely sure where she was taking him when they had plans to have lunch at Cafe Du Monde that afternoon. The bright smile she shot him over her shoulder once they reached to top of the staircase silenced any questions that were floating through his mind and he allowed her to lead him down the hallway in the direction of the bedroom she had claimed as her own. He glanced down at the hand clasped in his own, he marvelled at how perfectly her fingers fit between his lager ones and he was entranced by the way her mauve nail polish reflected off the lights when their hands moved in a specific direction. It was a simple thing but it spoke to something much larger in his opinion, it was evidence that even the little things about Imogen Claire were enthralling.

Imogen entered the bedroom cautiously, her eyes searching for anything suspicious or out of place because she didn't trust Genevieve as far as she could throw her and the thought had crossed her mind that the witch had taken the opportunity to get the upper hand when it presented itself.

"What exactly are you searching for, darling?" Elijah asked her in amused befuddlement as he leaned against the doorframe with his arms folded over his chest, watching the brunette as she continued to thoroughly scour the bedroom intently.

"Anything out of the ordinary. I don't trust Genevieve, so I'm making sure that she didn't leave any surprises behind when she ransacked my closet without permission."

"Why do you assume that?"

"Because she's a manipulative bitch. And it's what I would do in order to gain the advantage over my enemies, or my allies." she admitted sheepishly with a shrug of her shoulders as she sent him a innocent smile and he raised an eyebrow at her with a smirk on his lips but didn't say anything in return to her confession. "Shut up."

A comfortable silence fell over the pair as the witch knelt down beside the four poster king-size bed, lifting the dust ruffle to check the space underneath and Elijah tilted his head to the side as his eyes trailed down the curve of her body. The hem of her skirt lifted slightly when she moved, revealing the expanse of unblemished creamy skin of her thigh and his oak brown eyes heated with undisclosed lust as she bent further over, unaware of the effect she was having on him. Images flashed through his mind, visions of other activities that would require her to be in the same position and he felt the familiar heat of desire rush through his veins as he shifted on his feet, uncomfortable from his current predicament. His fingers twitched subconsciously as he put all of his focus going into not grabbing her roughly by the hips and hiking the material of her skirt up around her waist in order to bury himself deep inside her. The familiar vanilla scent that he associated with Imogen drifted throughout the room and he was already aware that her lips tasted of artificial strawberries, along with something indescribably addictive but he longed to find out if her skin had the same delicious flavour.

Imogen huffed in dissatisfaction when she couldn't find anything out of place; logically she knew that it was a good thing that Genevieve hadn't left anything behind but a part of her wanted a legitimate reason to loathe the redhead because her current reasons seemed petty. She straightened up from her bent over position as she tossed her brunette hair over her shoulder and opened her mouth to start complaining to Elijah as she twisted her body around to face him but the words died on her lip when she saw the expression on his face. His oak brown were like molten pools of chocolate, burning heatedly with lust and the sight alone sent a familiar spark through her body as her breathing became laboured.

It had been so long since the two of them had done anything more than embrace; they'd spent nights wrapped up in each other's arms but that was the extent of their physical interaction. It had been torturous for the both of them but they had agreed that it was in the best interest of their relationship to wait until they had established an emotional intimacy. It was the longest period of time that Imogen had celibate since she had lost her virginity when she was sixteen years old and it had taken tremendous willpower to make it through the last few months; many hours of physical exercise and yoga had offered her a much needed outlet for her sexual frustration.

There was a storm brewing the depths of her blue eyes as she made eye contact with the man standing in the doorframe and she slowly stood up on shaky legs, using the bed for support so that she didn't collapse onto the floor. Blood rushed to her ears, making the whole would muffled as the tension between the two escalated and she bit down on her lower lip to stop from saying anything that might have broken the moment.

Elijah's gaze tracked the movement with rapt attention, his eyes glazing over as his mind flooded with the urge to repeat the action himself and his feet were moving across the room, decreasing the space between them before he realised what was happening. Imogen gasped out loud as he suddenly appeared in front of her at vampire speed but before she could question him, his hands were on either side of her face and he had lowered his lips to hers in a bruising kiss.

The action took her off guard momentarily but she quickly regained her composure and returned the harsh pressure of the kiss with equal ferocity, grabbing onto his shoulders to help keep balanced. Elijah traced the seam of her lips as he silently requested entrance and she readily parted her lips, allowing him to tangle their tongues in a fast paced dance. It was the same overpowering sensation every time they locked lips; an incredible warmth spreading through her extremities as a tingling erupted in her stomach and she couldn't control the need she had for him, for the addictive taste that was solely 'Elijah'.

The Originals tangled his nimble fingers into the brunette hair at the nape of her neck, using the leverage to guide her body closer against his chest and she made a muffled noise of surprise against his lips at the sudden movement but she didn't think of protesting in the least. She could feel his stomach muscles contracting underneath the material of his shirt and it only fuelled her desire to be closer to him, to feel his flushed skin against hers. Nimble fingers travelled down his well-toned chest, absently tracing the contours of his muscles until she reached the hem of his shirt and she snuck her fingers underneath the material but didn't stray any further.

Imogen pulled back from the embrace when her lungs burned from lack of oxygen, panting desperately for air as Elijah began pressing a series of burning hot open mouth kisses on the underside of her jaw. She gasped out loud as she closed her eyes in pleasure when he found a particularly sensitive location on her neck and she felt her stomach tighten with need as she tilted her head the side to give him better access to her skin. One of his hands trailed down the side of her body, ghosting over her ribcage and hip, before settling on the exposed skin of her thigh and she bit down on her lower lip to keep from letting out a strangled moan of ecstasy.

"Elijah..." she gasped out his name breathlessly as his fingers tugged at her disarrayed brunette hair and she felt him smile against her flushed skin before he lowered his lips to her collarbone, sucking harshly enough to leave a mark. A startled yelp escaped her lips, her eyes flying open in shock as she was suddenly lifted off of the ground and her legs instinctively wrapped around his waist as his hands settled on the underside of her thighs in order to keep her balanced. Elijah chuckled in amusement with a grin as she half-heartedly pushed his shoulder in reprimand for startling her but was unable to resist a bright smile on her own as she placed her hands on either side of his neck before leaning down to press a leisurely kiss to his lips, taking her time to savour the taste of him.

In that moment nothing else mattered except the feel of his calloused hands on her bare thighs and the pleasure that was coursing through her veins as he carried her effortlessly towards the bed. It didn't matter what exactly was causing the dramatic turnabout from Elijah; one moment he was loving and affectionate, the next he was cold and distant, and then he was practically devouring her as though he would never get enough. It should have concerned her but the phenyl ethylamine that was flooding her mind caused everything hazy; which was a contrast to the hypersensitivity that had overcome her so that she could feel every movement and every breath against her skin.

A soft gasp of pleasure escaped her lips as her head landed on the soft pillow beneath her and she looked up into Elijah's smouldering oak brown eyes as he hover above her, carefully keeping most of his weight from crushing her lithe body. One of his hands travelled down her side, mapping out the length of her body tauntingly until he reached the back of her knee and he gently guided her leg around his hip as he settled in between her legs comfortably. She bit down on her lower lip to stop from gasping once more when the scratchy material of his pants grazed her sensitive core and she unconsciously shifted her hips to accommodate new position of her legs.

The heated exchange between them whilst maintaining eye contact was one of the most intimate moments of her life and she felt her heartrate accelerate as panic seemed to engulf her subconscious mind. Sex wasn't something uncommon to her; in fact it was one of the only things in her life that made sense but it was different with Elijah, everything was different with Elijah, and it frightened her to her very core.

Their warm breath mixed together in the small amount of space between them as they mere stared into each other's eyes and she sighed slightly to herself as she gently pushed his shoulder, urging him to lift his weight off of her body. A confused frown played on his lips as he placed his hands on either side of her head, complying with her request even though his body protested and she slowly lowered her leg from around his hip as she placed her hands on his chest with a small smile on her lips.

"Do you want to tell me what's going on with you today?" Imogen asked softly, not wanting to break the peaceful serenity that eclipsed them into their own little world and his eyebrows draw together in befuddlement as she smirked knowingly while tracing her fingertip down his throat until she reached the curve of collarbone. "Downstairs, it was like someone flipped a switch inside of you. One second you were Elijah, the sexy, charming, funny guy that I've been spending time with, and then the next you were Elijah Mikaelson, the cold, badass Original vampire not to be screwed with. So? What's bothering you?"

Elijah pulled back slightly to study her for a moment, a slightly awed glint in his oak brown eyes as though he couldn't believe that she was in front of him and his lips twitched into a barely noticeable smirk as he whispered, "You're very astute. In all honesty, it's quite frightening."

"Thank you!" she chirped happily as she preened with a bright smile as though he had paid her the highest compliment and he couldn't help chuckling in amusement, the sound vibrating through her body in the most appealing way. "Now, stop changing the subject and tell me or I'm going to start guessing, and I'm very creative so who knows what I'll come up with."

A heavy sigh escaped him as he directed his gaze to her shoulder, not able to looking into her memorising blue eyes without losing his train of thought and he internally debated skirting around the truth but the two of them prided themselves on never lying to one another. Imogen had always been truthful on where loyalties were and so he had returned the favour, never promising anything he couldn't deliver or insulting her with pretty lies for selfish reasons; their relationship was built on lies of omission and mutual respect. He didn't wish to change their pattern now, not when it seemed to be working well in their favour but it was difficult to be honest when she was looking at him as though she could see into the depths of his soul. In an uncharacteristic act of cowardice, he kept his gaze locked on the junction between her shoulder and her throat as he watched her carotid artery throb a hypnotic symphony inside her veins.

"Do you have any idea how rare love is? In a thousand years, I have found it but twice. When I have, I have honoured it." he murmured quietly as though he was hoping that she would not hearing the words he spoke, one of his hands ghosting over the curve of her throat in an attempt to distract himself from the meaningful conversation taking place. "I believe when you love someone, and that person loves you in return, you're uniquely vulnerable. They have the power to hurt you like nothing else."

Imogen felt her eyes widen when he mentioned the word 'love', her chest tightening with panic to an almost pain degree and she remained silent out of fear that she would say something in the heat of the moment that she would end up regretting. She could count on one hand the number of people that had said those words to her during the length of her life: Davina, Marcel, Sophie, Monique and her ex-boyfriend Johnathan, who said them in an effort to manipulate her into falling under his charms. It was incredible that three little words could have such a large impact on someone and she understood it in principle, but reality was a different matter altogether.

Elijah turned his head slightly to catch her gaze, oak brown connecting with fierce blue, and Imogen had never appeared more vulnerable than in that moment as she stared at him in a mixture of admiration, panic and an underlining hint of yearning. She swallowed harshly with a small frown on her lips as she placed her hands on either side of his neck and slowly lowered his head until their lips met in an unhurried kiss. There was a hint of desperation in the gesture as she poured everything she was feeling but couldn't say into the kiss. It was the only thing she could think to do in order to show him how she felt without actually having to say it aloud because once it was out there, it could never be taken back and it would change the entire dynamic between them. It would break the fragile foundation their relationship was built upon by making it real and if it was real, it could shattered into a million unrecognizable pieces.

Elijah slanted his head to the side in order to deepen the kiss as he buried one of his hands in her brunette hair and swallowed every silent word she offered him, replying in kind with the force of the kiss. There was no need for words between them, not when they could communicate effectively without them.

Imogen used his distraction to push on his shoulder, using the momentum to roll them over so that she was straddling his hips without breaking the kiss and the hand that wasn't fisted in her hair automatically found a place on the back of her bare thigh. She pulled back from the kiss, panting slightly when the lack of oxygen started to cause her lungs to burn and she roughly gripped his chin as she turned his head to the side. She started to press a series of open-mouthed kisses down his exposed throat, her blunt teeth grazing his skin and he instinctively tightened his hold on her hair until it was slightly painful but pleasurable all the same.

"Imogen..." he breathed out with a sigh as he ran his hand up and down the smooth skin of her thigh tauntingly, loosening his tight grip on her hair as he gently lifted her head from his throat with great reluctance. Her eyes clouded with lust as she looked down at him in confusion, licking her swollen lower lip absently and it took all of his willpower not to draw her back into another bruising kiss. He tucked a strand of brunette hair behind her ear with a crooked smile on his lips and she grinned back at him, her eyes lighting up in a way that caused a familiar warmth to spread through his veins but he ignored the feeling out of self-perseveration. "Imogen, we are missing our lunch reservation."

"You started it, I am merely a victim of your lothario ways." she replied innocently as she swept her hair over her shoulder with a smirk on her lips and he raised an eyebrow at her in amusement as he settled hands chastely on her waist, not wanting to tempt himself with the exposed skin of her thighs.

"I don't believe 'victim' is one word that could ever describe you."

"That may be the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me."

The truth was glaringly obvious in her eyes as she smiled down at him exquisitely and he felt his breath catch in his throat at the sight but it also pained him that she needed that reassurance after all she had been through. There was so much of her past that she still had not revealed to him, but he knew that she was a survivor, a fighter, someone who didn't back down no matter the consequences. There may have been dark marks inside of her, but she looked through them and laughed at life instead of cowering in fear. She would walk over glass or through fire for those she loved, but she would do it smile brightly so they could not see the pain she suffered in their name. She experienced a fate worse than death, had her bones broken and her heart ripped to shreds, and so she knew what it was like to lose everything, but still she stood for something, she still believed in something. And it made her beautiful in his eyes.

Imogen leaned down to press a lingering kiss to his lips, it wasn't an expression of lust or a desperate attempt to communicate without words, it was simply a kiss done to demonstrate how thankful she was to have him in her life. She retreated after a moment with a smile gracing her lips as she tossed her brunette hair over one shoulder and she opened her mouth to say something but an unfamiliar object on the bedside table caught her attention.

"What the...?" she trailed off in a questioning tone as she narrowed her eyes in suspicion and leaned over to gingerly pick up the tangled mess of animal bones, chicken feet and twine. Realisation dawned on her like a wrecking ball crashing into a building as her jaw ticked in irritation because she recognised the enchanted dreamcatcher adorned with charms that turned it into a one-way mirror, only to be seen by the caster through the twin dreamcatcher.

Elijah raised an eyebrow at her in question as she straightened, holding a mangled dreamcatcher in her hand with a triumphant expression on her face and she quirked an eyebrow smugly as though saying 'I told you so'. He rolled his eyes in exasperation as his lips twitched into a small smile and she giggled uncharacteristically as she climbed off of him, straightening the material of her skirt with one hand. He groaned to himself in frustration as he covered his face with before hands, taking a moment to compose himself and then gracefully swung his legs over the edge of the bed as he sat up straight.

"So, lunch?" he asked the witch with a grin as he stood up, offering her his hand in the process and she curtsied mockingly with a smirk before slipping her arm through the crook of his elbow. He pressed a lingering kiss to her temple with a chuckle as he led her out of the bedroom and she closed the door behind them as she struggled to keep the elated smile from spreading across her lips.

________________________________________

It was not uncommon for the streets of the French Quarter to be closed down as they citizens celebrated festivals or held parades that lasted long into the night. The Fête des Bénédictions was a festival that was supposed to be held annually as an overing to the ancestral spirits but it had been neglected in the wake of the brewing war between the Factions. Streetlights illuminated the cobblestone street of the French Quarter, moonlight and the fluorescent luminosity of glow sticks added to the ambiance of the parade as people crowded the sidewalk excitedly. Faint jazz music played below the noise of laughter and chattering, the growing anticipation was electric in the atmosphere.

Somewhere in the faceless mass of spectators, a pretty brunette gripped her companions arm tightly as she bounced on her toes in excitement with a bright grin on her lips and the man chuckled at her enthusiasm before turning his attention to the beginning of the parade.

Three teenage girls, sitting on decorated thrones, were hoisted into the air by men dressed in white and the crowd cheered loudly as the parade participants started marching down the street. The young brunette girl at the front of the line wore floral earth tones, the next was gowned in a flowing white dress, and the last was dressed in vibrant red; each of them representing the element they were sacrificed in the name of during the Harvest. Bright grins dawned the faces of the girls as they waved towards the gathered crowd on either side of the street, bobbing slightly with the movement as they approached the makeshift stage that had been set up in the middle the street. The thrones were lowered to the ground once they had reached their destination and the escorts helped them step down before the three of them climbed onto the stage.

The Harvest girls lined up obediently as a beautiful redheaded woman climbed the stairs with a grin, strolling to the middle of the stage as the crowd quietened down. It was clear by the way she carried herself that she held authority within the community and she surveyed the gathered crowd for a moment before announcing in a raised voice, "Now, in accordance with the Fête des Bénédictions, the witches of New Orleans bless you all!"

A deafening cheer erupted from the crowd in response as Genevieve smiled proudly at her achievement and she laughed joyously to herself as she stepped off stage so that the Harvest girls were at the focal point of everyone's attention. Monique stepped forward first with an arrogant smirk on her lips, and she raised her arms out in front of her as she used her magic to create a mild earthquake that rumbled the ground below. Once she stepped back into line with the others, Abigail took a step forward as she raised her arms above her head and created a strong gust of wind that blew around the crowd of tourist. Some people looked around in shock confusion, their hair whipping in the wind as she stepped back into line with a small smile gracing her lips and the wind slowly came to a stand-still as everyone cheered at the display. Davina took a deep breath as she glanced around the crowd, trying to catch a glimpse of her sisters reassuring face but she shook away her nervousness as she stepped forward and then turned around to face the back of the stage. A familiar tugging sensation began in her stomach as she held her palm out towards the sign behind the stage and it immediately ignited in flames, quickly spreading in the pattern of a fleur de lis before lighting the fuse of a dozen fireworks. Bright lights exploded in the darkened night sky, causing the crowd to cheer in astonishment of the act of magic that had just taken place in front of them.

The festive atmosphere caused Imogen's veins to flood with adrenaline as she cheered loudly along with the crowd and she couldn't help the bright grin that was imprinted on her lips as she clapped until her palms stung. The noise was completely lost in the mania as she jumped down from the ledge she had been standing on in order to have a clear view of the stage, ignoring the hand offered by the gentleman standing in front of the ledge.

"I've been looking after myself for twenty-three years, Elijah." she reminded him lightly with a hint of exasperation in her tone as she slipped her arm through the crook of his elbow and he rolled his eyes in response as the two of them became making through the celebrating crowd of tourists. "As sweet as the He-Man must protect women thing is in theory, the reality is a little more infuriating."

"I'd rather have you infuriated with me than injured, or worse. And furthermore, any rage or wrath you display?" he asked rhetorically in a smug tone as he paused for dramatic effect, causing her to look up at him with a frown as they came to a stop in the middle of the busy street. A smirk made its way to his lips as he tugged her elbow so that she was forced to step closer to his body and he used his other hand to tuck a strand of brunette hair behind her ear, allowing his fingertips to lingering on her cheek as he leaned forward to whisper huskily, "Well, we can turn that into passion, can we not?"

A shiver ran down her spine as she glanced down at where their bodies were touching and her blue eyes darkened with lust as she looked back up into his smouldering oak brown eyes. There was a mischievous glint in their depths that told her he knew exactly what he was doing to her, that it was done purposefully as revenge for ignoring his warning and risking her safety.

A giggle escaped her as she threw her arms around his neck and leaned up on her toes to press a lingering kiss onto his lips. It always made her feel special when she was able to draw out Elijah's playful side; he was normally so serious and refined that it seemed like a massive achievement when it happened.

"Think you can handle me at my worse, Mikaelson?" she asked him seductively as she ran her hands down his chest, quirking an eyebrow at him in question with a smirk on her lips. He combed his fingers through her brunette hair before settling on the back of her neck and he drew her in closer to his body as he bent his head down so that his warm breath on her ear.

"I believe I would love to see you at your worse. Your cheeks flushed with anger, your exquisite eyes bright with rage. It would be a stunning sight indeed." he whispered softly as his teeth gently nipped her earlobe, his hands tightened on her hips to keep her pressed against him and Imogen felt her mouth go dry with desire as she bit on her lower lip to stop herself from moaning out loud. Her mind was a cloudy haze as she shook her head, closing her eyes tightly so that she couldn't be distracted by his memorising oak brown irises.

Elijah rich laughter rumbled through his chest as she snapped her head up to glare at him, trying to quell her frustration as she looked up at him with a pout on her lips. "You're mean to me. You knowingly started something in public when you know perfectly well that we're running late to a party you are supposed to be throwing."

Imogen slapped his arm in reprimand before she spun around with a dramatic huff and started making her way down the cobblestone footpath that lead towards the Abattoir where the after party was being held in honour of the witches. He grinned happily as he shook his head in disbelief that he was lucky enough to be in the presence of someone so glorious and he didn't hesitate to follow behind. He watched her interact with some of the locals; twirling around in a circle with her arms stretched out to her sides with a bright smile on her lips or laughing joyously with a bunch of children as they popped the bubbles that floated in the air, it was a magnificent sight to behold and he couldn't help smiling contently as he basked in the innocent glow that surrounded her entire being.

"Elijah! Come on!" she called out playfully once she reached the entrance to the Abattoir, her hands planted on her hips as she tapped her foot impatiently with a smirk on her lips. He offered her a pacifying look as he caught up to her and she let out a startled bout of laughter when he captured her in his arms, spinning them around in a circle. Her grin was infectious as he set her feet back on the ground, stumbling slightly as she found her balance with a giggle and he pressed a kiss to the side of her head as he started leading her into the compound.

Jazz music played through the speakers as the coupled strolled inside together and Imogen couldn't help smiling as she looked around at the spectacular decorations, slightly awed by the last minute preparations. Hired wait staff were spread out throughout the room with trays of champagne, awaiting the arrival of the guests and the only reason that she didn't think they were compelled was because she had been the one to hand over the cheque signed by Elijah earlier that day. It was a collective decision between Elijah, Niklaus and Imogen to only invite the elite members of the community, those who knew the truth behind the supernatural in the Quarter so that no one needed to hide their true natures.

"I'm going to go get changed while you're playing host for the evening." Imogen murmured softly to the man beside her as they strolled further into the courtyard and he hummed in acknowledgement as she detangled her arm from his with a smile on her lips. "I'll meet you by the entrance in a few of minutes."

Elijah nodded in agreement with a small smile as she leaned up to press a soft kiss on his lips, lingering a moment longer than appropriate before she sauntered towards the staircase that led to the second floor. He watched her retreating back until she disappeared from sight and then placed his hands in his pants pockets as he strolled towards the front entrance where some guests were already starting to arrive for the party. He nodded in greeting with a polite smile but didn't pause long enough to speak to any of them, none of them were worth a personal greeting. He stationed himself just inside the entrance, in plain view of everyone who entered the party and he continued to politely nod in greeting to those who walked by, occasionally shaking hands and making idle chitchat with those he knew on a more sociable level of acquaintance.

Boredom was beginning to plague him as he smiled blandly at each passer-by until he caught sight of a familiar brunette approaching him and his smile became more genuine as he straightened his shoulders. Hayley glanced around with a reluctantly impressed expression until her gaze landed on him, causing her lips to twitch into a small smile and he tilted his head to the side as she strolled towards him before he drawled in amusement, "Strange. I thought you'd be in the company of your colourful friends."

"Oh. You asked for a representative for the werewolves, so take me or leave me." she quipped with a shrug of her shoulders, a defiant quirk of her eyebrow and he chuckled drily at her comment as he nodded slightly in acknowledgement. "I wasn't going to come tonight, but I know that it's important to Davina, so it's important to Imogen, and so it's important to me. She's my friend."

"I'm sure she'll appreciate the sacrifice. I know that she considers you a close friend. In fact, I believe you rank on the same tier as Camille and Joshua." Elijah revealed in a conspiratorial whisper as he leaned forward with a mischievous glint in his eyes, like he was divulging something secret that he was not supposed to.

Surprise caused the werewolf to gape at him for a moment in shock before she was able to compose herself because she knew that Cami and Josh were only narrowly beaten by Marcel and then Davina when it came to people that Imogen cared about. It was gratifying to know that she even made the list to begin with and Hayley knew that if she were to prioritise the people in her life, Imogen would've been at the very top of the list. In the short amount of time that the two of them had known each other, Imogen had become someone that could be counted on, someone who she could lean on in times of need. Never in her life had Hayley like she could depend on someone other than herself, but she had a gut feeling that she could depend on Imogen, that the witch would do whatever she could to help.

"Well, I'll be sure to buy her a drink when I see her." Hayley managed to choke out in an emotional voice, forcing a smirk onto her lips because she was aware that the party had an open bar. It was obvious that Elijah saw straight through her façade but he was gentlemanly enough not to mention it as he nodded once in acknowledgement.

The Original raised an eyebrow at the brunette as she patted his arm before strolling into the party venue and he shook his head in exasperated affection, glad that the feisty werewolf had become a part of their dysfunctional family. A sigh escaped his lips as his gaze travelled over the partygoers, searching for a familiar set of stunning blue eyes or a magnetic smile and he tried to suppress the growing unease he felt in his stomach. It was illogical of him but he didn't trust the people in attendance, not with her safety; not with something so precious. No matter how skilled she was at protecting herself from an attack, nothing would ease his nerves until she was standing in front of him and he could see with his own eyes that she was safe.

The sound of footsteps alerted him to the presence of someone and he turned his attention back towards the entrance as he met a pair of familiar blue eyes but not on the person he most wanted to see. He forced a polite grin onto his lips as Davina approached where he was standing with a wary expression and he shifted his weight in an almost nervous anticipation, inclining his head towards the young witch as he greeted her warmly, "Davina."

"Elijah." she returned the sentiment shortly as she came to a stop in front of him with a determined glint in her eyes, a frown playing on her lips as she subconsciously clenched her hands into fists at her side.

"It's lovely to see you. And under far better circumstances."

"Is it? My friend Tim is still dead, and your brother's still breathing."

"Davina, that's enough. Elijah has been a patron to us this evening. We will show him respect." Genevieve spoke harshly from behind the pair and Elijah frowned in concerned when he noticed the young brunette flinch almost imperceptibly at the sound of her voice. He made a mental note of the action as he watched her fold her arms over her stomach, a defence mechanism she had obviously picked up from her older sister and the redhead plastered a gracious smile on her lips as she turned her attention towards the Original. "Thank you for all of this."

"This isn't for you. You know as well as I that your people would never accept a truce unless we showed them some respect. So be it. Enjoy your party." he corrected her offhandedly with a trace of venom in his voice as he looked directly into her eyes and she swallowed roughly as she tried to keep her composed mask in place but he could read the fear in her eyes. She nodded once in understanding as she pursed her lips in displeasure and he smirked in a way that was more frightening than any scowl as he continued in a passive tone, "Excellent. Now, if you'll excuse us, Davina and I were having a conversation that was personal in nature."

Davina's head snapped up at the mention of her name, her eyes wide in surprise as she stopped playing with the material of her dress. She glanced nervously at the elder standing beside her and then fought the urge to shrink under the heated glare directed at her, channelling her sister in an effort not to look weak. The weight of Elijah's hand coming to rest on her shoulder anchored her to the ground, reminding her that she wasn't alone and she straightened her shoulders in determination as she met Genevieve's gaze without flinching.

The moment that the redheaded witch was out of sight, she let out a deep breath she hadn't realised that she was holding and she relaxed for a second before realising that Elijah was still touching her shoulder. She took a step out of his reach as she turned around to face him with a blank expression on her face and she held her head up high as she faced the object of her sister's affection. "What did you want to talk to me about?"

Elijah smiled serenely in amusement as he placed his hands in his pants pockets, in an effort to appear less intimidating and he ducked his head slightly as he spoke to her with an undeniable fondness in his voice, "Imogen informed me of your...scepticism regarding our relationship, and I wanted to assure you that my intentions are honourable."

"You'll excuse me if I have hard time believing that when all you and family has done is use me and kill my friends."

"Yes, there have been unfortunate and regrettable causalities that were nothing more than collateral damage but, Davina, I have done and will continue to do everything in my power to keep you and your sister safe from harm. Imogen is exceptionally important to me, her safety and happiness are important to me." he explained earnestly in a soft tone of voice as he maintained eye contact with the young witch, wanting to convey the deep meaning behind his words and he saw her eyes soften slightly after a moment of scrutinising his expression. Seeing some of the tension seep out of her shoulders sent a wave of relief through him and he took a deep breath as he decided to go in for the metaphoric kill even though he was aware that it was a long shot.

"And I know it would mean a lot to Imogen if we were not at each other's throats continuously," he informed the brunette with a slight upturn of his lips, finding the concept amusing but he was willing to do anything that made Imogen happy. Davina quirked an eyebrow incredulously, an undeniable glint of mischievous in her eyes that reminded him of his deceased younger brother and he couldn't help the soft chuckle that escaped him as her lips morphed into a knowing smirk.

"Imogen has the uncanny ability to know when someone is lying to her, it's rather freakish and inconvenient for me, but in this case I think she's blinded by her attraction towards you." she stated in a blunt tone of voice as she narrowed her eyes at him and he remained completely unfazed as she released a heavy sigh before turning her attention back to him with an open expression. "I trust Imogen with my life. I have literally put my life in her hands. I don't want to see her hurt, Elijah. She's had enough of that from people who are meant to care about her, who have said they would never do anything to hurt her. If you know my sister at all, you know that she puts everyone else before herself, but she deserves to have someone put her first for a change and I know that you can't do that. Your priority is your family, and that's admirable, but Imogen deserves more, she deserves better than to be second best, or fourth best in your case."

The Original nodded sagely in understanding as he glanced away from her penetrating gaze; the familiarity of her stare making him unable to maintain direct eye contact and he kept his eyes lowered towards the ground as he responded in a quiet tone, "I understand your hesitance to trust me, Davina, but I have put your sister ahead of my family. The night that our plantation house burned to the ground, I was given the choice of saving Niklaus, Rebekah or Imogen and Hayley. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I didn't hesitate before leaving to be by Imogen's side, to make sure she was safe. It wasn't Hayley or my unborn niece that I was thinking of, but your sister. I do not pretend to know what the future holds but, until she orders me away, I plan to be a part of Imogen's life."

"Imogen's an adult and she can make her own decisions; I dare you to tell her otherwise," she said in a joking tone of voice as she quirked an eyebrow at him with a smirk and he laughed genuinely at the mere thought of ordering the rebellious witch to do anything before Davina continued in a more serious tone, "But as for us not being at each other's throats? I think I can manage that."

"I'm glad." he replied with a small smile on his lips as he straightened his suit jacket sleeves and then offered the young girl his elbow, silently asking if he could escort her into the party. She raised her eyebrows at him but placed a hand on offered arm with a slight upturn of her lips and he placed his hand over hers as they strolled into the party together. Some of the other guests stared at them in confusion, trying to appear subtle and failing as they walked passed but they both ignored the whispers that surrounded them.

The sound of a microphone screeching echoed around the room as the music volume was lowered until it was almost inaudible and everyone turned their attention towards the stage where Genevieve was standing at the centre, a bright grin lighting up the redhead's features as her eyes swept over the gathered crowd.

"I better go get in line." Davina said with a heavy sigh as she looked towards the side of the stage where the other two Harvest girls were standing and a small genuine smile spread across her lips as she turned towards the vampire next her. "'Bye, Elijah."

"Davina." he responded easily with a smirk as he lifted her hand to his lips and press a chaste kiss to the back of it, causing her to giggle at the old-fashioned gesture. He watched almost protectively as she flounced over the other Harvest girls with a renewed bounce in her step, an inkling of a connection formed between the two of them.

"Welcome. As is our time-honoured tradition, you are all welcome to deliver your offerings. It is our custom that no one should be turned away, no blessing be denied." Genevieve announced charismatically with a glass of champagne in one hand, her voice amplified through the microphone and Elijah suppressed the urge to roll his eyes at the witch as the Harvest girls walked onto the stage.

The three of them sat down on the thrones positioned in the centre of the platform and numerous guests moved to line up in order to give their offerings to the Harvest girls. Elijah felt someone touch his arm, causing him to turn his head towards them and his lips twitched into a smile when he was met with the stunning blue eyes he had become so readily enthralled with since he had first looked into them.

Imogen returned the grin with obvious affection before his gaze dropped down to her body and she felt like her skin was on fire under his intense stare, his eyes burning the form-fitting cocktail dress she was wearing. She clears her throat teasingly with a smirk when his gaze lingers longer than socially acceptable and his head jerks up to reveal molten oak brown eyes, darkened with obvious lust. He blinked once to clear the haze that had fallen over him as she giggled quietly, satisfied with his reaction to her appearance and then turned her attention to the stage so she could watch the offerings.

The music played quiet in the background as Hayley walked up the steps to the stage and offered Davina a warm smile, having a soft spot for the younger girl because of her sister, but when was stopped from placing the gift down at her feet by the attendant supervising. She frowned slightly in displeasure but didn't argue like she wanted to as she moved down the line to where Monique was sitting. As the werewolf wandered off the stage, Francesca stepped on from the other side and was directed to give her offering to the middle Harvest girl instead of Davina.

Imogen scoffed in disbelief as every guest for told to bypass her sister and she felt her blood boil with rage when Monique sent the other girl a smug smile every time she received a new gift. The urge to protect her little sister was almost overwhelming as she gripped Elijah's arm tightly, trying to release her anger on him discreetly because she knew that he could handle the pain and would heal almost instantly if she did injure him in the process. "Un-freaking-believable."

Elijah frowned at both the rage burning in Imogen's eyes and the devastation that was mirrored in the younger Claire sister's; it made him want to kill anyone that dared to cross them. The witch next to him tapped his arm to get his attention before subtly tipping her head to the side of the room and he followed her gaze to where Genevieve was standing near the wall with a satisfied smile on her lips, like she had managed to pull over some elaborate scheme right under everyone's nose. Suspicion leaked into him as he angled his head towards Imogen and lowered his voice to whisper softly in her ear, "Have you confronted her about the charmed dreamcatcher we found in your bedroom?"

"Of course not. I left it where I found it. Tactical advantage."

"Excellent. I do not trust her."

"Me neither. But I'm not about to let her push me around. There's a reason I'm not a part of the French Quarter coven but still have access to my magic. It's time to show her who's really in charge." she hissed menacingly in a venomous tone of voice with her steely glare locked on the redheaded witch and he raised an eyebrow at her, an impressed expression on his features as he marvelled at the fierce glint in her eyes.

Without another word on the subject, she started making her way towards the stage with a determined expression and that was when Elijah realised that she was holding onto two small gifts; a square box expertly wrapped in lilac paper and a small blue gift bag with white polka dots. He immediately followed after her long strides, unsure whether he was going to prevent a disaster or join her in creating one.

Imogen ignored the weak exclaims of protest that echoed in her wake as she pushed her way to the front of the line waiting to drop off their gifts; some people appeared outraged but were pacified by the presence of the Original that followed after the brunette while others that knew the witch on a personal level or by reputation, took a step back when they saw the determined expression she wore. Once she reached the front of the line, she didn't waste a moment as she climbed the steps two at a time and made a beeline for the throne her sister sat in looking like a princess out of a storybook. She came to an abrupt stop when the attendant, Nadine stepped in front of her with a blank expression on her face and Imogen intensified her glare as she shifted on her feet impatiently with a tight smile plastered on her lips. "Nadine, sweetheart, let me ask you something. Where exactly are you standing right now? The answer's simple. Do you want me to answer for you?"

Nadine gulped visibly as she glanced over her shoulder at the younger brunette before returning her gaze to the witch in front of her and a mixture of realisation, fear and defeat entered her expression as Imogen nodded in satisfaction with a smirk, "Ding, ding, ding! And the correct answer was: in between me and my sister. And everyone knows the last place anyone wants to be is standing in between me and my sister. So, I, very politely, suggest that you take a step to the side and let me pass without incident. Before there is an incident of biblical proportions."

The threat in her voice was obvious as she maintained eye contact with the other witch, silently daring her to contradict the words she spoke but knowing that it was impossible to argue with the facts stated so plainly. Imogen honestly didn't want to be an enemy of the witches but she wasn't going to compromise her morals or beliefs to fit their rigid scruples. After spent so much of her life surrounded by violence, she wasn't one for needlessly attacking anyone just for the sake of it. She wasn't beyond doing what needed to be done; her hands would forever be stained red with the blood she had spilt and she wouldn't bring herself to regret her actions because it meant that everyone she loved was safe.

Nadine hesitated a moment longer before lowering her gaze to the ground in submission and Imogen nodded in recognition of her sacrifice, knowing how hard it was for the witch to swallow her pride. She was grateful that Nadine hadn't felt the need to challenge her in front of a crowd, and she offered her a small smile as she walked past without any hesitance. Imogen had never been one to gloat or hold something over someone's head; she loved having leverage in case she ever needed to use it but she wasn't petty enough to hand onto something so minor.

Imogen could feel everyone in the room watching the scene taking place on the stage as she gave the gift bag in her hand to Elijah so that he could present it to the younger witch. She locked eyes with her younger sister, offering her a reassuring smile in response to her wide-eyed gaze and lips parted with a mixture of appreciation and apprehension. She maintained eye contact as she slowly knelt down in front of the throne before bowing her head in something resembling reverence, like a disciple kneeling at the feet of a queen or goddess. It was a dramatic performance but she knew that it would show everyone in the room that Davina was held in a higher esteem than the other Harvest girls. She placed the wrapped gift at the base of the throne before climbing to her feet and threw a wink in her sister's direction as she sauntered off the stage.

Whispers broke out amongst the gathered crowd as Davina attempted to stifle a grin but failed tremendously and she startled slightly in surprise when another figure knelt down in front of her, causing her to jerk her head up to meet the oak brown eyes of Elijah Mikaelson. It was overwhelming to have an infamous Original vampire kneeling at her feet but the amusement dancing in his eyes calmed her nerves as she smiled softly at him. He placed the gift bag next to the box on the floor and lifted her hand to his lips, placing a gentle kiss on the back of it before standing up gracefully. He plastered a blank expression across his features as he straightened his suit jacket and turned to face the onlooking crowd, daring them to say something about what they'd witnessed.

Imogen held her chin up proudly as she glanced around the room, taking in everyone's expressions and noting that some looked incredulously, others seemed to be thrilled with the new tension while most were shocked by the turn of events. After a moment her eyes sought out the few key players whose opinions actually mattered in this insistence; Niklaus stood above the crowd on the balcony with an approving smirk on his lips, Hayley grinned with sincere happiness on the other side of the room and Genevieve was glaring daggers into the side of Imogen's head as though the look alone would set her on fire until she was nothing but a pile of ash on the floor. Imogen smiled serenely in response, not fazed in the slightest as she felt someone come stand behind her and she instinctively leaned into back into them when she recognised the scent that was solely 'Elijah'.

"Thank you." she breathed out in a whisper without looking at him, afraid to show him the vulnerability in her eyes and he responded silently by wrapping his arms around her so that his clasped together hands rested on her stomach. She placed her hands over his with a soft smile on her lips as he pressed a lingering kiss to the side of her head and a wave of contentment swept over her as she watched the other guests place offerings in front of the Harvest girls, including Davina.

Slowly the crowd began dispersing into quiet conversations, the excitement from the scene having settled down and all of the gifts having been delivered so the girls were making their way down from the stage. A bright grin was plastered on Davina's lips as she ignored the withering glares the other girls sent her way and looked around the room for her sister and Elijah, wanting to thank them for what they did. Her smiled faded slightly when her eyes finally landed on the pair; the vampires arms wrapped around Imogen's waist from behind and her sister twisted slightly to gaze up at him, both of them with soft smiles on their lips as they whispered sweet nothings to each other. The sight caused Davina to freeze completely, not used to seeing the pure happiness that was exuding from her sister. Of course she had seen Imogen happy before, like whenever she was dancing around in her underwear to music from the eighties or when she was eating raw cookie dough while watching the romantic comedies she told everyone she hated but secretly loved. But there was something different about seeing her happy appear happy with a man; something she had never witnessed before. She watched as Imogen giggled, giggled, at something Elijah had whispered in her ear and the Original gazed down at her like she was the only thing holding him tethered to the Earth.

A startled gasp escaped her parted lips as someone grabbed her arm and tugged her into an empty hallway off the side of the room, causing her to stumble over her feet because of the sudden movement. She spun around with wide eyes, preparing to fight back when her gaze landed on her best friend and a grin broke out across her lips as she threw herself into his awaiting arms, "Josh! What are you doing here?"

"What, are you kidding? No way I'd miss out on your big day. Besides, music, wind, fire? The club kid in me is, like, in heaven." Josh quipped jokingly with a crooked grin as he pulled back from the embrace and he studied her face for a moment with a small frown as he placed his hands on her shoulders. "You don't look like you're having much fun, though." he murmured under his breath as he brushed an unruly lock of hair behind her ear and she managed a small smile as he grasped her hand with a bright smile "Hey. Come on. Let's get out of here."

Davina giggled in delight as she nodded enthusiastically, allowing him to lead her further down the corridor and he grinned down at her in an attempt to mask the fear that was eating away inside of him. When Marcel had first mentioned his plan to undermine the Factions, Josh had been reluctant to take part in anything that could make his isolation worse but the older vampire assured him all he had to do was make sure Davina was safely away from the fray. A part of him was feeling guilty for what was about to go down because knew that Imogen believed in Elijah's vision for the future but he knew that trying to talk Marcel off the ledge would be pointless. He also felt guilty that he was leaving Imogen to fend for herself when everything goes down but he knew that she could take care of herself, that she could protect herself from whatever was thrown her way.

An imposing figure suddenly appeared in front of the duo, blocking them from continuing down the corridor and Klaus tilted his head to the side with a smirk as he clasped his hands together behind his back. "Joshua. What a fortunate coincidence, finding you here. We have unfinished business."

"You need to leave here. Right now." Davina snapped at him angrily as she moved to stand in front of her friend, her eyes narrowed into a fierce glare and her hands curled into fists at her side as she instinctively pulled on the thread of magic that ran through her blood.

"Now, to be fair, love, you're not quite as powerful as you once were, are you? You're in no position to give orders." he remarked dismissively as he clamped a hand on the back of Josh's neck and began dragging him back towards the party, "Come along, lad."

"Hey, hey, can we talk about this?" Josh stuttered nervously as he tried to catch himself from stumbling over his feet but Klaus ignored him with a smirk on his lips and Davina rushed after them in a panic, knowing that something bad was going to happen.

"Josh!" the young witch exclaimed loudly as she hurried after them, frantically attempting to grasp one of her friend's hands but he was too far away and moving too fast for her to get a decent hold. Tears were burning the back of her eyes out of frustration but she forced herself to stay strong as the three of them emerged from the corridor and re-entered the main room where the party was taking place. They gained attention from many of the guests as Klaus marched his captive towards the main staircase in the centre of the room and Davina glanced around, uselessly hoping that someone would step in to protect her friend.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention, please. We are gathered here today to pay homage to our beloved witches, but one very special witch has been utterly ignored. That seems a little unfair to me." Klaus announced loudly, gaining the attention of everyone in the room as he released his hold on Josh's neck roughly and the younger vampire winced as he quickly shuffled backwards out of his immediate reach.

Imogen stiffened at the sound of the hybrid's voice as she pulled herself out of Elijah's arms, their dance paused as they turned around to face the direction his announcement had come from. The couple shared a concerned glance before they started pushing their way through the crowd with their fingers intertwined. The sight of her little sister standing defensively at the bottom of the stairs while Niklaus stood a few steps higher caused the witch to glower slightly a little and she sighed to herself as she caught Davina's eyes. She smiled reassuringly in an attempt to sooth the concern that was obvious in the younger girl's eyes, even from a distance and she felt her muscle relax slightly when Elijah wrapped a protective arm around her waist to let her know she wasn't alone.

A stunned silence fell over the crowd as Klaus glanced around the room until it finally landed on the pretty witch wrapped up in his brother's arms and her blue eyes were shining with an array of emotions; confusion, hope, anger, happiness. She was giving him the benefit of the doubt and for the first time since he could remember he wanted to live up to someone's expectations, he wanted to give her a reason to trust him. He cleared his throat gently as he turned his attention back to the shorter brunette standing in front of him and he held out the black velvet jewellery box, waiting for her to take it from his outstretched hand.

"No. I don't want your gift." Davina protested profusely as she crossed her arms over her chest while shaking her head rapidly, the response instantaneous as she glowered at him and he nodded sagely in understanding as he dropped his arm back down to his side when she didn't take it from him.

"I understand why you would reject me, given our past. In truth, many of us here today have been wronged in the conflict which my brother's treaty ended. Your friend Josh was involved in a plot to kill me. It would be well within my right to execute him here and now." he stated clearly in a slightly threatening tone as he grasped the back of Josh's neck, roughly pulling the younger man closer and everyone in the room tensed in anticipation (some of them grinning with the thought that blood was about to be spilt) but he made no move to end the poor boys life. "But, in the spirit of solidarity, and for your favour, Davina, I hereby pardon him. Josh from this day forward, you have nothing to fear from me. Please."

There was a collective gasp from the crowd, none of them expecting the infamous Original hybrid to show mercy and he grinned to himself in pleasure that he was able to surprise people. Imogen stifled a squeal of excitement as she twisted around in Elijah's to bury her face in the crook of his neck with a massive smile plastered on her lips. He wrapped his arms tighter around her shoulders although his expression remained dubious because he doubted his brother would do something merciful without something in it for him.

Davina continued to regard the hybrid sceptically as he gently lifted one of her arms and placed the jewellery box in the palm of her hand, giving her a meaningful look that she couldn't decipher before backing away. It felt extremely heavy in her hand as she curled her fingers around the box and her eyebrows furrowed in confusion as she glanced down at her closed fist before returning her gaze to the hybrid but he was looking out into the crowd. Curiosity burned inside of her as she turned to follow his eyes, wanting to know who it was that could bring a soft genuine smile to his lips without so much as a word. Shock coursed through her when her gaze came to a stop on her sister; the older girl laughing at something gleefully as she looked up at her partner. Davina snapped her head back around to stare at the hybrid with wide eyes and she frowned when she noticed the tinge of sadness in the depths of his blue eyes. It was almost like...longing, or pining, but Davina honestly didn't believe he was capable of feeling anything resembling a positive emotions. Although, it did help but things in prospective for her; if it came down to Elijah or Klaus being with her sister, Elijah would win hands down without argument.

Whispers broke out through the crowd as Klaus started making his way up the main staircase to the second-floor and Josh beamed in relief that the scene hadn't escalated any more than it had as he moved to stand next to the young witch. His smiled dimmed a little when he noticed that Davina's eyes were locked on the box in her arm as though it would suddenly attack her and he placed a hand on her arm to draw her attention as he asked her softly, "So, are you gonna open it?"

"Open it, open it, open it!" an enthusiastic voice cheered excitedly as Imogen stumbled over to the two of them with Elijah not far behind, an indulging smile on his lips as he watched her grab onto Josh's arm to steady herself in her high heeled shoes. A delighted grin was dancing on the older girls lips as she turned her attention to her little sister and she was practically bouncing on her toes in anticipation as she exclaimed animatedly, "What are you waiting for? Open it, or I'll open it for you!"

"Hush, darling. Let Davina open her gift at her leisure." Elijah reminded her gently with a slightly mocking edge to his voice as he covered her mouth with his hand and she rolled her eyes at him but it was obvious that there was a smile on her lips because her eyes were shining with undisclosed mirth. The two of them turned their attention to the young witch expectantly, his hand falling away so that he could drape an arm around her waist and Davina grinned at them before she opened the black jewellery box in her hand.

An audible gasp escaped her parted lips as she covered her mouth with her hand, unshed tears brimming in her eyes as she stared down at the lapis lazuli ring embedded in the centre of the cushioned box. Her fingers were shaking slightly as she picked up the folded piece of parchment also inside the box and her eyebrows furrowed in disbelief as she read over the word elegantly printed on the sheet.

"What? What is it?" Josh asked in concern as he placed a hand on her shoulder comfortingly with a frown on his lips when he noticed the awestruck expression on her face. Neither of them noticed the way Imogen bit her lower lip, the way she did whenever she was attempting to keep herself from blurting out something she wasn't meant to share.

"It's the spell that makes daylight rings." Davina breathed out in astonishment as she raised her head to look at them, one lone tear escaping the corner of her eyes. She glanced around at the three people surrounding her, taking in their varying expressions; Elijah's lips upturned in a subtle smile, Imogen's infectious grin as she clasped her hands together in front of her mouth and Josh's widened eyes as he stared at her uncomprehendingly.

"What?"

"It's the spell that makes daylight rings! You're getting a daylight ring!"

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God!" he exclaimed in realisation as he broke out in a massive grin, a startled laugh escaping him and he gathered the young witch in his arms as they both laughed together while they swayed from side to side. Some people glanced the group when they caught sight of the exuberant display but none of them paid any mind to the attention they were gathering. There were tears in Josh's eyes as he pulled back from the embrace and ran a hand over his face, wiping away the remnants of any stray tears. The uncontrollable urge to laugh overcame him as he tried to contain his enthusiasm, slightly uncomfortable being in the presence of an Original and he lifted his head to peer at the two most important people in his life as the sisters beamed back at him with matching infectious grins.

"Congratulations, Joshua." Elijah said to the young vampire as he nodded slightly in recognition and Josh offered him a weak smile in return, not comfortable conversing with the Original he had never spoke to before.

Imogen released a muffled squeal of excitement as she threw herself into his arms, causing him to grin while he returned the tight embrace and in that moment, that moment of utter contentment, he realised that she had become the older sister he always wanted. His own family had disowned him his senior year of high school when his first boyfriend (whom he was dating in secret) sent him a bouquet of roses for Valentine's Day. He could still remember the heartache as he watched his father throw them into the paper shredder, the red petals becoming confetti as they fell through the razor sharp top. Imogen and Davina had accepted him with open arms from the moment they met, not one part of him or his past made them hesitate and wasn't that the definition of family; the people in your life that want you in theirs, the people who would do anything to see you smile, the ones that accepted you and loved you no matter what.

"You know what? I feel like celebrating. Who wants to go get ice-cream?" Josh asked excitedly as he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively with a grin, eliciting a giggle from Davina as she nodded her head in agreement.

Realisation bloomed in her blue eyes as her expression dropped in defeat and she sighed sadly as she murmured quietly under her breath, "I can't. I'm not meant to leave the party."

"Go." Surprisingly, it was Elijah that encouraged the young witch to escape the tedious party and all three of them turned to look at him in shock; Imogen quirking an eyebrow at him with a smirk, while the younger two gaped at him with their mouths parted. The Original raised an eyebrow in amusement as his lips twitched into a small smile and he nodded his head towards the exit as he spoke in a melodic voice, "Go. Celebrate your friend's freedom, Imogen and myself will divert Genevieve's attention from your absence."

"Thank you." Davina gushed with a beaming smile as she darted forward impulsively, wrapping her arms around his waist momentarily before remembering exactly who it was she was hugging and she immediately removed her arms with a blush burning her cheeks in embarrassment. Elijah blinked in surprise at the sudden bout of affection, startled by the dramatic turn of events and he glanced at Imogen for direction as to how to proceed but she was attempting to stifle a laugh at his befuddled expression. Davina could feel the mortification eating away at her as she quickly wrapped her arms around her sister in an awkward hug, attempting to brush off the moment and she could feel Imogen's chuckle vibrate through her as she returned the tight embrace.

"Go have fun, Pixie." she murmured softly to her younger sister before pulling back from the hug with a sincere smile on her lips and Davina nodded in acknowledgement as she tucked a brunette curl behind her ear with a shy grin.

Josh threaded his fingers through the younger witch's as he waved farewell to the couple with his free hand and Imogen leaned her head on Elijah's shoulder as she watched the two of them disappear down the corridor that led to the exit. A soft smile spread across her lips when she felt Elijah press a gentle kiss to the side of her head and she placed a hand over his where it rested on her stomach, marvelling at how perfectly their fingers fit together.

Imogen released a heavy sigh as she turned around in his arms to face him, tilting her head to the side playfully and her lips curled into as she wrapped her arms around his neck. He raised an eyebrow in question as he slid his arms around her waist in response and she leaned forward to press a lingering but chaste kiss on his lips before pulling back with a smile. "Thank you for getting along with Davina."

"I'm aware of what she means to you. And if she happens to be anything like her older sister, than I am completely blessed to be in her acquaintance." he murmured sincerely as his lips twitched into a small smile, brushing a strand of brunette hair behind her ear gently with the tips of his fingers.

"Well, I appreciate the effort. Now, I haven't said 'hello' to Hayley yet, so I'm going to go do that and then we are going to dance. Deal?"

"Deal."

A bright smile spread across her lips as her blue eyes sparkled with happiness and she ran a hand down the side of his neck as she leaned forward to press another kiss to his lips. Each time their lips touched a spark shot through her body, reminding her what it was like to be alive and she entirely know what to call that. Was it love? Or was it just lust? Everyone had a different definition of love but to Imogen it meant putting someone's happiness above your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might end up being. She didn't know if she would put Elijah's happiness above her own if it came down to it because at the end of the day, she was selfish and she knew that about herself. There were only a handful of people that ranked before herself, a few select people that she would put herself in harm's way to keep safe.

Imogen pressed a series of chaste kisses on his lips before removing herself from his arms as she giggled at his dazed expression and she felt his eyes burning into her retreating back as she sauntered away from him, adding a little extra sway to her hips in an effort to taunt him.

The witch's gaze swept over the crowd, searching for the familiar face of her friend and she nodded politely to the few people that she recognised as she walked past them. A sigh of relief escaped her when she caught sight of Hayley standing to the side of the room with Klaus at her side and she hurried towards them as fast as she could in high heeled shoes.

"Oh, thank God, people that I actually know." she greeted them brightly as she sauntered over to them with a smile and they turned to face her, the serious expression on both of their faces morphing into gentle smiles at the sight of the witch.

"Good evening, love. You look ravishing tonight." Klaus complimented her sincerely as he leaned in to press a kiss to her cheek and she grinned in response as she hummed in acknowledgement. "If you ladies will excuse me, my glass is dangerously low and I'm going to need more alcohol to get through this dreadful party."

"I organised this party." Imogen reminded him with a pointed look as she crossed her arms over her chest defensively and he wisely choose not to say anything as he began walking away from them in search of the bar. She rolled her eyes at his retreating back but a small smile played on her lips as she turned her attention towards the werewolf standing next to her and she shared a knowing look with her friend before rolling her eyes in amused exasperation.

The sound of numerous drumbeats echoed through the party, over the music and chatting, and Imogen frowned in confusion as she turned to face the main staircase. To the best of her knowledge there was no performance planned and she didn't think Elijah would organise something without informing her of the change. Eight men wearing pristine white suits, carrying handheld drums were marching down the stairs into the party with blank expression on their faces. Imogen and Hayley traded an uneasy look as the witch stepped protectively closer to the werewolf in case this turned out to be something sinister.

"Happy Fête des Bénédictions." The lead drummer announced in a raised voice once they had all come to a stop at the bottom of the staircase and Imogen glanced around the room, noticing some of the guests starting to smile as they thought it was part of the evening. "We have a message for all of you from Marcel Gerard."

A sharp stab of dread pierced her stomach as whispers broke out through the crowd and she looked around the room for Elijah, wanting to know how to play this out because she didn't know the protocol. Hayley gripped onto her arm tightly with both hands as the entire room watched the drummers take straight razors out of the suit jackets and there was a collective gasp of shock as they proceeded to slice their wrists open. Blood flowed freely from the open wounds, the rustic scent causing the vampires in the room to start getting antsy and their vampiric features began sneaking through their human veneer.

"Control yourselves. This is a vulgar trick. We do not violate our agreement." Elijah called over the panicked exclaims of the crowd as he moved to stand in front of the drummers and Imogen felt herself nod along with his words as she took a step backwards, dragging Hayley with her as she went.

The lights overhead suddenly went out, covering the party in pitch black darkness and screams echoed through the room as the crowd dissolved into chaos around them. Imogen blindly flung her arm out to the side that Hayley had been standing, searching for the werewolf in the darkness and she sighed in relief when someone grabbed onto her hand tightly. She could feel the panic swelling inside of her but she pushed it to the back of her mind because she knew that she had to get Hayley and her unborn baby out of danger before she could process what was actually happening. The sensation of air displacing in front of them caused Imogen's brunette hair to fly around wildly and in the darkness she could vaguely make out the imposing figure in front of them. A vicious hissing accompanied the sight of a vampire standing in front of them, fangs exposed and darkened veins underneath their eyes prominent, and Imogen knew that there would be no reasoning or persuading.

Instinct took over her body when she saw the vampire lunge forward, intent on biting into Hayley's jugular and she roughly pushed the werewolf out of the way just in time for the vampire's teeth to hit their mark. A stinging pain erupted on her neck as the fangs pierced her carotid artery and she couldn't help the agonised scream that escaped her lips as the vampire roughly feed from her. Blood pounded in her ears loudly as she squeezed her eyes against the pain and she faintly heard someone calling out her name but she concentrated on feeling the pulsating magic inside her body waiting to be released.

"'Sang à vervain. Sang à vervain.'" she mumbled weakly under her breath in French as she metaphorically pulled at the thread of magic in her stomach, her mind chanting along deliriously until the vampire released her throat. Imogen unceremoniously dropped to the ground like a ragdoll as the vampire gasped in pain from the suddenly vervain laced blood burning his mouth and throat. She pressed a hand to the wound on her neck, grimacing in agony as she struggled to sit up and a loud hissing alerted her to the recovery of the vampire who attacked her. Pain coursed through her body as she lifted her head with wide eyes and she could feel the blood seeped through her fingers where she was applying pressure to her wound.

The vampire's eyes suddenly yet wide as a hand was punched through their chest from behind and Imogen gasped out loud in surprise at the sudden appearance of a blood coated fist holding a heart. The arm was removed from the vampire's torso, causing the corpse to collapse onto the ground and she followed the movement with her eyes before lifting them to see her saviour standing in front of her. A grateful smile spread across her lips at the sight of Elijah and she barely reacted to the bloodied heart tumbling from his hand as he moved at vampire speed to crouch beside her with a concerned expression.

"Imogen. It's okay. It's all right." he whispered soothingly as he placed a hand on the uninjured side of her neck, gently turning her head so that he could inspect her for any other wounds. Tears stung her eyes as he carefully peeled her bloodied fingers from the bite mark and his mouth tightly in anger at the sight as he caressed the side of her neck lovingly. She offered him a shaky smile in an attempt to reassure him that she was fine otherwise but he ignored her as he used his own fangs to bite into his wrist. He cradled her head in one hand as he guided his arm to her wrist and she circled her fingers around his forearm as she allowed the rustic taste of blood to flow into her mouth. Once she had taken a few mouthfuls, she pulled back just enough to place a kiss to the now healed skin and he sighed in relief as she leaned her head on his chest for a moment for comfort.

The overhead lights suddenly switched back on, momentarily blinding the witch as she blinked continuously until her eyes had adjusted and her breath caught in her throat as she looked around what was left of the party. Dozens of humans were lying on the ground unmoving and she was unsurely whether they were dead of unconscious, while some were nursing injuries but were seemingly okay. Elijah's arms tightened around her body as she looked at the wall across from where they were and she stared at the words 'THERE WILL BE NO PEACE' written in dripping blood with a foreboding sense of horror in the pit of her stomach.

"Why do I have the feeling things are going to get worse before they get better?" she asked rhetorically in a tired voice as she leaned further into his embrace and he didn't deem her question worth an answer as he pressed a lingering kiss to her temple in response.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

104K 3K 20
The second book in the 'The Desire' series.... Star has made her choice to be with Niklaus Mikaelson she leaves Mystic Falls to live in New Orleans a...
72.3K 2.5K 87
"𝐖𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐚𝐟𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬...𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐜𝐡𝐚�...
165K 4.2K 78
(rewriting) ˜"*°•.˜"*°•𝐒𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭. 𝐒𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞-𝐨𝐟-𝐚-𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐝. 𝐒𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐪𝐮𝐞. ...
72K 1.6K 25
Rose left the Moroi & Dhampir World because Dimitri broke her heart & got together with Tasha, & Lissa destroyed their friendship. Rose went to the o...