Can't Love You More Than This...

By Natalie7457

Sophie Adams is a student at Wichita State University where she is the captain of the volleyball team. Jonath... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 24

231 1 0
By Natalie7457

* Sophie's POV *

I woke up at 6:30 and did my usual morning routine for game day before Jon and I drove to the arena for the morning skate. Practice was normal and then Jon said goodbye to me and I got to work on everything that I needed to do. I finished everything I needed to do and did my work out before the guys started showing up and getting ready for the game.

The guys went out for warm ups and I hung all of the jerseys up before going out to the bench to watch the rest of warm ups. Warm ups ended shortly after and we were in the locker room listening to Q talk about everything that needed to be done and then my head was being patted as all of the guys walked past me and out to the bench for the first period.

We beat the Rangers with a score of 3-1 and we were ready for the harder practices to begin to prepare for the playoffs.

We were finding out tonight who we were playing in the first round so everyone got ready to leave slowly so that they could hear who we were playing.

About 30 minutes after the game we found out we were playing the Nashville Predators and we were traveling first.

We all left right after we found out since everyone was ready to go and they told their families who they were playing.

I drove Jon and I home where we got ready for bed while talking about the schedule for the upcoming week of more intense and longer practices.

We got into bed at 11 o'clock and we both quickly fell asleep.

I woke up at 6:30 and did my normal routine except I made Jon a bigger breakfast since practice was 4 hours long today.

Practice was pretty normal today except for the fact that it was in fact 4 hours long but even after that long and tiring practice the guys seemed abnormally excited.

What's going on you babe? I asked Jon while he was getting changed.

We found out that Kaner got cleared to play 5 weeks early because he worked really hard to get better, he replied.

Well that's great, I said and then waited for the guys to slowly change.

Jon finally finished getting ready so I drove him home and he went and got some lunch from the kitchen before he went up to our room and fell asleep.

I went down to my office and got on my computer to go through my emails when I saw one that surprised me.

Email from: Scholastic Press

Subject: Offer

Hello Miss Adams, this is Dick Robinson the president of Scholastic Press, we have been searching the country looking for a new editor here at Scholastic Press and we think you would be a perfect fit for the job, we were wondering if you would take the job. You might be wondering how we found you, we talked to every university across the country for their best writing student and your name came up and out of 629 other students we have selected you to make this offer to, please think about this offer and feel free to email with any questions or your answer.

-Dick Robinson, President of Scholastic Press

Oh my god, I said to myself and I opened another email and sent him one back asking him some questions.

Hi Mr. Robinson, this is Sophie Adams and I am very honored that you selected me from 629 other students but I do have a couple questions. I was wondering which location of the of business I would be placed at and I also have another work commitment until the end of June and I can't really drop it until then and I was wondering if I could hold of working there until then because I really want this job, it has been by dream job since I was a kid.

-Sophie Adams

About 2 minutes after I sent that email out I got a response.

From: Scholastic Press

Subject: Job Questions

Hello again Miss Adams, I have some answers to your previous questions but I also have a question for you, I am wondering where you currently live so we can hopefully get you to the closest branch of the business. My answer to your question about starting in late June is a yes, you can hold off starting your work here until then and I also know that you are on the National team in women's volleyball and that takes up July and it is ok for you to start working after all of that is out of the way. We really want you to work for us, I hope you can work with where we have to move you.

-Dick Robinson, President of Scholastic Press

I read the email and then I started my reply.

Mr. Robinson, I currently live in Chicago, Illinois and I understand you have a branch here so hopefully I can work there so that I don't have to move. Thank you so much for still giving me the opportunity to work for you even though I can't start work for you until August.

-Sophie Adams

I immediately got a reply from him and I was extremely excited.

It is great that you live in Chicago Miss Adams, you can now work at the Scholastic Press building there in Chicago, that is if you do in fact confirm that you will take the job, I attached everything you need to know about your job and I would like you to read through it all and reply to me when you come to a decision, I hope to hear from you soon

-Dick Robinson, President of Scholastic Press

Attachment:

Job Description of a copy editor at Scholastic Press

Editors at Scholastic Press are to read manuscripts from writers and check everything over for spelling, formatting, and grammar errors. Copy editors must work on a tight timeline and work can be stressful a lot of the time.

This job position is a full time position meaning about 7 hours a day 5 days a week, but sometimes additional hours helps make deadlines happen. You will get benefits with this job including 15 sick days, 15 personal days, and all holidays, we also do something a little unusual at this company, if you have any reason to be gone for an extended period of time that is beyond your benefits, all you have to do is talk to the president of Scholastic Press (Dick Robinson) for that time off and you will either be granted or denied the time off as he sees fit. Your starting salary is 37,000 a year and will increase as the company sees fit.

You will have your own office as a copy editor so that you can do your work in peace and you will have an assistant to keep track of everything that is happening so all you have to worry about is getting everything he or she says is on your to do list since the copy editors job is one of the most important jobs at this company.

You will have to occasionally travel for business trips and for meetings with the uppers of the company so you have to be ok with travel to take this job.

After I read through the whole document I went upstairs and saw Jon was awake. He seemed to notice that I was very happy so he asked me what was going on.

What's got you so happy babe, he asked me.

Well as you know my dream job has always been to work in the writing industry and that dream has a possibility of coming true, Scholastic Press went to every university in the country asking for their best writing student and my name was mentioned at WSU and they picked me out 629 people to offer a job to, and thats not even the best part. They have a branch here in Chicago that I can work at and they said I can hold off starting until season ends and volleyball is over, what do you think about this though? I asked him after I said all of that.

Babe, this is amazing you got offered your dream job without even applying for it. It's even better that you can stay here and finish the season with us, he says.

So you'd be ok with me taking the job? I asked him.

Of course, it's the start of your dream, you don't have to leave, and it get you even closer to becoming the writer you have always wanted to be, I think you should definitely take the job, he said.

Oh thank you babe, I'll go email him back, I said and got off the couch only to have him follow me so he can watch me do it.

I opened another email and sent it out to Mr. Robinson.

I am extremely excited to announce that I have decided to take the job at your company, thank you so much for this opportunity Mr. Robinson.

-Sophie Adams

I got a reply instantly from Mr. Robinson.

I am very happy to hear that Sophie, thank you for taking us up on this offer, I look forward to meeting you before you start your work to discuss everything you could possibly need to know, we will arrange a time for you to fly in to New York to have that meeting.

-Dick Robinson, President of Scholastic Press

Congratulations babe! Jon cheered from behind me.

Thank you Jon, I said and gave him a hug.

How about we go out tonight to celebrate? he asked me.

I don't know Jon, you need to rest, I said.

Come on we won't stay out that late, we'll just go out and have a nice fancy dinner and then we'll come home, watch a movie, and get into bed, please?

Ok, when are we leaving? I asked him.

An hour an a half, he said and then we both went up to our room and started getting ready.

I swiped my make up off and re applied it a touch heavier, curled my hair up into an elegant bun on the side of my head with to dangles on the sides of my face and then put on a new dress I got when I went shopping with Avery and Kiera that was a red knee-length dress with one shoulder strap that had roses on it. I pulled on my black heels and looked myself over in the mirror before looking at the time and seeing we weren't leaving for another 20 minutes so I sat down at my make up vanity and texted all of my friends and my family about the good news.

I got replies back from everyone either congratulating me and saying a lot of other stuff that I had to read through so by the time it was time to go I had only gotten through 10 of the 25 replies that I got.

I walked downstairs and Jon looked like a little boy who was going to his first dance when he saw me come down the stairs.

You look so amazing babe, he said pulling me into him and kissing me on the cheek.

We left the house and I continued to read through the replies and thankfully by the time we got to the restaurant I had read through them all and replied to the ones I needed to.

Jon and I had a wonderful meal talking about the job and then moving on to the playoffs that were coming up. We left the restaurant at about 7:30 and when we got home we watched a movie before we both decided to go to bed.

I woke up at 6:30 and did my normal routine before Jon and I ate together and he drove us to practice.

Practice was 4 hours long again since the playoffs were starting on the 15th which is just 6 short days away but that also means we were leaving in 5 days.

Practice ended and after Q talked about practice tomorrow Jon and I left the arena and went home where I made him lunch and we had a lazy day.

* Skip to 5 days later *

It has been a long week with four hour practices everyday and me getting my new job but we were leaving for Nashville today so we went to the arena with our bags and had a short skate before the guys changed out of their gear and the crew set to work on packing everything that we needed.

We went to the airport and loaded everything onto the plane before we took off for Nashville and we landed there 2 and a half hours later. The guys took a bus to the hotel where they were having a team lunch and then were supposed to take it easy while the crew got the locker room ready for the next couple days.

We got the locker room put together and then the crew went to the hotel and checked in before I decided that I was going to go out and look around Nashville and probably find dinner when that time came since I had nothing else to do.

I explored the town a bit and at 6 o'clock I stopped and ate dinner before going back to the hotel and taking a long bath in the hotel bathroom.

I turned in at 10:30 since I had to get up at 6:30.

I got up and took a shower, did my make up, braided my hair, and got dressed in my tracksuit before going to the lobby and eating breakfast.

We all left for the arena where the guys had an hour and a half practice before they left to go take naps and the crew members set to work.

We had everything ready to go so I did my work out and then the guys started coming in.

They went out for warm ups and I hung all of the jerseys up before going to the bench to watch the rest of warm ups.

Before I knew it they were all patting me on the head on the way out the door for the first period.

The first period was great, for the Predators, they scored 3 times giving them a 3-0 lead going into the second.

Q yelled at the guys for the majority of the intermission and then we were walking back out to the ice.

The yelling seemed to have worked because under two minutes into the 2nd Hammer shot the puck to the back of the net, then Sharpie scored, and then Jonathan scored tying it at 3-3 where it remained for the rest of the 2nd, 3rd, and the first overtime. Thankfully almost 8 minutes into the second overtime Keith scored giving us the win.

The guys all got ready to leave back to the hotel and they left while the crew finished putting everything back to how it was supposed to be and then we went to the hotel where I immediately turned in.

* Skip to 2 days later *

Today is our second game against the Predators and the last one here in Nashville before we return to Chicago.

We had a morning skate and then the crew did their normal routine before the guys showed up and warm ups started.

Then all of the guys were patting me on the head on the way out the door for the first period.

The first period was not so great since the Preds scored twice and only Sharpie had scored for us. The second period was no better since the Preds scored again and even with Kaner's goal we were behind 3-2. The third period was even worse seeing as the Preds scored three more times leading them to a 6-2 lead.

The locker room was silent as the guys changed and the crew ran around packing everything up for the flight back to Chicago tonight.

Everything was loaded into the truck which we then unloaded and loaded it onto a plane that we then unloaded into another truck before a bus took everyone to the arena so they could drive home.

The crew members decided that we would put the locker room together in the morning before practice and we called it a night.

Jon and I went home and changed quickly before snuggling up under the covers and falling asleep.

* Skip to two days later *

Today is the third game in the series against the Preds and the day went normal leading up to the game.

Warm ups started and ended and then the first period started up. Desjardins scored in the first but so did the Preds. In the second period Jonny, Seabs, and Saader scored along with one goal from the Preds ending the period at 4-2. The third period was pretty boring since no goals were scored meaning that we won 4-2 and we're leading the series 2-1.

I finished all of my work and then I drove Jon and I home where we immediately got into bed.

* Skip to two days later *

Today is the 2nd game in Chicago and also the 4th game of the series.

We had our normal game day routine and before I knew it the first period was starting.

The first period was evenly matched with both teams scoring 1. The second period put the Preds up 2-1 with a goal from Neal. In the third period Saader sent one in tying it up but we could get anything else in so we went into overtime, then double overtime, and then triple overtime where finally Seabs scored winning us the game and giving us the series lead of 3-1.

Jon and I went home and got into bed immediately.

I woke up at 6:30 and did my normal routine before I made sure I had everything I needed packed up for our trip to Nashville for game 5. We headed to the UC for practice and then to the airport.

We landed in Nashville at 1 o'clock and the guys went to the hotel and the crew went to the arena.

We set everything up and then we went to the hotel and I ordered in room service for dinner and watched a movie by myself before I got into bed.

I woke up at 6:30 and did my normal routine before going down to the lobby of the hotel and finding some of the guys down there eating breakfast.

We left for the arena and we had a morning skate and then they went back to the hotel while I did all of my work.

I finished my work routine and did my work out before the guys started showing up so I got out of the way.

Warm ups started and ended and before long the first period was starting.

In the first period both teams scored 1 goal tying it at one to end the first. The second period was rather boring since nothing happened. The third period was terrible for us, since the Preds scored 4 more times with us only scoring once, so unfortunately we lost 5-2. The series was still in our favor though since we were up 3-2.

The guys changed clothes and the crew members packed up the locker room and loaded it all into the truck which we drove to the airport. We then unloaded the truck into the plane and boarded the plane for the 2 hour flight back to the Chicago.

We landed back in Chicago at midnight and then we unloaded the plane into the truck which we then drove to the UC following the bus full of guys.

We unloaded the truck and then decided that we would put the locker room back together in the morning.

I drove Jon and I home where we immediately changed and got into bed.

* Skip to two days later *

Today is game six of the series against the Predators so I got up at 6:30 and did my normal morning routine before Jon and I ate together and then drove to the UC for a morning skate and then Jon left to rest for the game.

I did all of my work and then did my work out before the guys started showing up and changing into their gear.

They went out for warm ups and I went around the room hanging the jerseys before I went out to the bench to watch the rest of warm ups.

Warm ups ended and then we were walking back down the tunnel for the first period. Starting line ups were announced and then the national anthem was sung before the puck was dropped.

The first period was jammed packed with both teams scoring 3 goals to tie it at three to end the first. In the second nothing happened so we remained tied until the third. In the third Keith sent the puck to the back of the net giving us a 4-3 lead and that's how the game ended meaning we won the series against the Nashville Preds 4-2 and were going on to the next round!

Jon finished changing and I finished all of my work so I drove Jon and I home where we immediately got into bed.

----------------------------------------
Hey guys!

Here's Chapter 24, I hope you like it! I also thought you should know that I'm only planning on this book having another 4 or 5 more chapters but I'm happy to announce that there will be a sequel, I'll let you know more details when the time comes!

Oh my gosh 1,100 reads!!! I love you guys so much for reading my story and I'll update again as soon as possible!

-Nat

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114K 2.2K 73
A peek into the lives of Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane
187K 3.9K 66
“I’m in love with you like the moon is in love with the Earth, following it around like a child chasing their hero, controlling the tides of life tha...
15.7K 199 20
Jamie Smith is from the small town of Normal Illinois, as an aspiring journalist she moves to the big city of Chicago landing a job at a news station...
703K 10.4K 44
Christine Brown is a nurse living in downtown Chicago with her roommate Brianna. Her love life has been less than stellar, with many boys cheating, l...