ENAMOURED ♛ Robb Stark

By jramseyy

"What is a king without his queen?" ♛ Since the time of the first men, the house Demetra of Silverstone has b... More

sont les bienvenus
00. epigraph + cast
00. house of the wise
ACT I
01. broken hopes and dreams
03. unless you please
04. the northern sun
05. nothing like home
IMPORTANT

02. knight, handmaiden and betrothed

11.2K 342 137
By jramseyy

[ The Reach, Silverstone ]

SHE HAD REFUSED TO TALK TO HER LORD FATHER FOR THE PAST THREE DAYS, BUT THAT WOULDN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT SHE WAS ALMOST DONE PACKING HER BELONGINGS.

Tears came by as frequently as her brothers. The first one had been Jonnan. The fifteen-year-old had not dared to cry in the presence of his older sister. But she knew he was as pained as she was. He didn't have to cry to show it. She knew he was going to be a great lord someday. He was kind and gentle and understanding. He had been the one who brought her food when she refused to leave her room. He had been the one to inform her Kalis and Arion were protesting in her name. He usually came to comfort her, trying to enjoy their last moments together.

When Jaspar came he did wear tears in his blue crystal eyes. He had hugged her tightly as he sobbed. The little lord had pleaded for her to stay, but there was truly nothing she could do. It seemed like it was her turn to comfort him. She would tell him sweet words, "It will be alright," or "I will come see you often." Perhaps she too had been lying like her lord father.

Arion had only hugged her tightly. He came as frequently as he could but she feared that wasn't enough.

Once she went to the North, when would she see her family again? Under what circumstances?

Arion usually came in to update her about her father as well. It seemed like he too was locked inside his room.

But when the three left her alone, she found herself crying until no tears were left. Her cheeks would turn pink and her eyes would look as clear as water.

She did not want to leave, she did not want to leave her family behind. Why was her father sending her away so easily, why had it been so sudden? She didn't fell like asking him, hells, she didn't feel like talking to him at all. Had his promises meant nothing? Only gods would know.

There were two loud knocks on the door. Before Gray could wipe her tears away, or even inquire  the identity of her visitor, the door swung open without a warning. Her lady grandmother, Kalis, entered, dressed in blue elegant silks. She entered without question, Gray heard her boots echo against the cold floor. Her posture was straight and proud. Without speaking, the lady found a seat next to Gray in the bed. The young lady just looked at her in shy, embarrassed looks, feeling her eyes water as she tried to take a deep breath. Don't cry, Graycleia, she told herself, please, just don't cry.

But just as her grandmother wrapped her arm around her shoulder, Gray couldn't stand it any longer. Water fell from her cheeks continuously. She wanted to stay here. Kalis stroked her back gently as Gray tried to steady herself. "Crying is for the weak," Kalis spoke in a calm tone.

There was cold silence then. Gray wiped her tears away and attempted to straighten her posture. She breathed in and sighed. "You must be stronger, my darling," her grandmother spoke, "I assure you, it will be alright."

Gray shook her head gently as she looked at her grandmother. Kalis was a beautiful woman with golden-brown hair, brown almond eyes and fair skin. She didn't look much like a Martell, and not many would know her origin of birth if they saw her. But if they met her and tempted her anger, gods, would they immediately know. "How would you possibly know that?" Gray questioned in misery, "This is the first time in history that a Demetra woman has been forced to marry without her consent. I can't do anything about it."

Kalis sighed heavily in response. "I know, sweet raven, but is locking yourself up in this room the best answer to your problems? No, you are behaving like a child. There is no changing of your father's mind, you might as well begin accepting your fate, darling. Get out of this room and live what is left of your life in the South."

Kalis had grown to be wise. She was right, what good did it do to her staying locked away? This were her last days at home, why waste them so poorly? "I fear I will hate the North. I fear the North will hate me."

Kalis grinned softly at the young lady. "The North is a lovely place," Kalis answered. "Your grandfather took me to Winterfell once, many years ago." The look that filled Kalis' chocolate eyes was a look Gray already knew. Each time her lady grandmother told her a story, her eyes would fill with a certain emotion that Gray couldn't quite fathom. It was happiness with a mixture of melancholy and at the same time, a glint of loneliness. Kalis had loved her grandfather Mytron deeply. Her father often told her that the passion within their love was brighter than fire. They had been happy as they raised three children together. A little piece of Kalis died too when Mytron's health began to get worse.

"We went with your father, Randell and Elma. They must have been children at the time," Kalis continued, placing a hand over her beating heart. "Maybe. . . fifteen? Elma was thirteen, I recall. Regardless, Rickard and Mytron's laughs echoed through the halls of the castle as I and Lyarra walked around in the snow. Auster and Randell became close friends with the boys, Brandon, Eddard and Benjen. I feared Elma would be left out, but she found a strange friendship with Lyanna Stark."

Graycleia knew about Lyanna's story. She knew both her mother and father had been terribly mournful about her death. So tragic, a woman kidnapped, raped, and murdered. Father had always told her Lyanna was a beautiful woman, but she was to marry Robert Baratheon. She had been told that Robert Baratheon had been so furious, and that madness took over him when he killed Rhaegar Targaryen, the murderer of his beloved.

"Elma had been so different as a child, perhaps it was the fact that she was raised with boys, but then, so was Lyanna. My memories of the North are wonderful, dear. The Starks might be serious and cold, but only if you do not know how to warm them."

Gray frowned slightly. "What in hells is that supposed to mean?"

Kalis chuckled. "If you can find a way for them to open a spot in their heart for you, you'll be just fine. The North won't hate you unless you hate it," Kalis explained. "The only thing all of us hated from that journey was the malignant cold."

There was nothing that could be done now. "I just wish," Graycleia muttered, "he wasn't a stranger. I hope he can like me and be faithful to me. I would die if he was to have a child with another woman. That would be humiliating. Demetras have never encountered a bastard within their bloodline, and I fear to be the first."

Kalis could see the discomfort within Gray. "Don't worry, love. If that Robb Stark does not find a way to love you, he is one of the biggest fools in Westeros. Do you know how many ravens with marriage proposals your father has received concerning you and Arion? If he chose the Starks, he must have an excellent motive." Kalis' voice was sincere and calm. It made Gray feel better. "Don't be so hard on him, I'm certain that making this choice wasn't easy."

Graycleia simply nodded. Her father was wise. She knew he loved her, she knew this wasn't a simple commitment for him. "What if he does not like me, grandmother? I will be forced to live with a man who does not enjoy my presence. What if he is awful?"

Kalis leant forward and sighed at her question. "I must have been your age when I met your grandfather. House Tyrell had a tourney organised and invited every single noble lord and lady. That was the first time I left Sunspear. Can you imagine?" she questioned with a laugh, "A dornish girl going up to the Reach along with her brothers. It was the best week of my life. During the grand feast the first day, I meet your grandfather."

Gray's eyes widened, for she had never heard this story before.

"Gods," Kalis spoke with a laugh, "He had been staring at me all night. His blue eyes wandered in my direction every so often. At first, I thought he was a fool, and my brothers were ready to put their knives down his throat." Graycleia chuckled at the thought. "He thought I hadn't noticed, but when my gaze finally found his, gods, he smiled like a fool."

"I remember the way I felt my face heat up when he stood up from his chair and approach. My brothers laughed, so I took his hand when he offered it. We danced until my feet could take no more, dear. And the nice words he said to me, I will not forget. I could feel the glare of all the girls in the room, they had been jealous that I had been chosen by the handsome man who was heir to Silverstone, heir to power and wealth."

Gray laughed, feeling way better than before.

"The first of many lovely nights," Kalis stated, "He took my hands and I took his, and he held me tight as we danced. I kissed his cheek that night as I left with my brothers to my own tent. He came looking for me the next day, and the next and the next."

Gray found a wide smile on her face now. Yet, the smile her grandmother wore was bright, unlike any other she had ever seen. "We talked and walked around Highgarden. Then, I discovered he was participating in the tourney. I sneaked out of my tent that morning and went sit in the first row of his match." By now, Kalis took Gray's hand in her's and squeezed it with force. "Oh, Graycleia," she muttered, "He looked so charming and gallant as he defeated every opponent. I couldn't comprehend why I was clapping and cheering with such a force beating in my heart."

"His last opponent was a Baratheon whose name I do not recall. He was twice Mytron's size and gods, did I fear for his life." Kalis smiled at herself. "Yet, somehow, your grandfather won. I still remember the cheers as he approached triumphantly on his horse and crowned me his Queen of Love and Beauty."

"What?" Gray inquired in a surprised scream. "Why didn't I know this?"

"Because, that night there was a grand feast, beautiful, filled with flowers. We were together all dinner, talking and dancing," Kalis commented. Then, her gaze turned toward Gray. "And now, I am not proud, but we were together all night too," she muttered.

Gray opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. Her grandmother had lost her maidenhead before marrying.

"We both drank too much wine, and I do not regret anything at all," Kalis said with a chuckle as Gray lifted her eyebrows in response. "But then I broke his heart when I told him I had to go back to Dorne. It was then when he told me he had fallen in love with me. But I hadn't."

A lot of questions made their way onto Gray's head. "You spent a night with him, and you weren't in love with him?"

Kalis shrugged, "I said I wasn't proud of my decisions." Princess Kalis Martell had lost her maidenhead before marrying, that thought would remain in Gray's head forever.

"So what happened after you left?" Gray asked, her gaze fixed on her grandmother, manifesting her deep interest. The thought of a reckless, young Kalis made her feel odd.

She grinned. "A moon after the tourney, a raven arrived at Sunspear. Your grandfather wished to marry me as soon as possible and wanted my father's consent. My father didn't force me to marry him, but he did insist. So I accepted."

"Why?"

Kalis laid her remaining hand on her lap as she thought. "Because. . . I had spent a lovely time, and I wanted all of my life to be that way. But the night we married, I knew I loved him as much as he loved me."

"Didn't you miss your family in Dorne?" Gray questioned, "Could you just leave them behind?"

Kalis thought for a brief second. "It was awful at first," she replied, "Martells are hard to forget. Yet, the moment I married your grandfather, I had a new family to love, a family of my own."

It kind of made sense to Gray. If she was unhappy with her marriage, she would at least be happy for the children she brought to life. She had to be brave.

"Love," Kalis spoke suddenly, "I wanted to let you know that both Zartion and Maellie are done with their belongings. The servants told me you are too. They will start taking them to the North tomorrow, meaning you will be leaving in three days."

THIS WOULD BE HER LAST MEAL AT SILVERSTONE. BREAKFAST WOULD BE SERVED, AND AFTERWARDS SHE'D START HER JOURNEY TO THE NORTH.

The brief ceremony for Zartion had been quite splendid. She had never, ever, seen that boy smile like that. The grin on his face as he rose as a knight was unlike anything Gray had ever witnessed. It had always been his dream. When Auster told Gray and Arion a story before they went to sleep at night, sometimes Zar would join. He would beg to hear about mighty knights that fought with honour until they took their last breath. Perhaps, these stories reminded him of his absent father.

Graycleia could have continued on her protest for leaving to the North, but Kalis had convinced otherwise. She had decided to enjoy her last days in the sunny Reach. She decided to laugh with her family one last time.

Maellie too had been smiling a lot. She too, like Zartion, was way too excited about their journey to come. Maellie was more than ready to pretend she was not a bastard any longer. She would make a lovely handmaiden in the North.

At least, she would have Zar and Maellie always with her. No matter if her betrothed hated her, they would always be there. Maellie promised Auster that she would serve as Gray's conscience and that she would help her in every step of the way. She knew the girl was not lying, she would do anything for the Demetras.

Graycleia had decided to visit the Black Garden one last time then. She had knelt next to her mother's grave in complete silence. She would take her mother forever in her heart, but she needed to be here at least one last time. She had spoken beautiful words in the form of a farewell and even spilt a few tears.

"Mother," she finished with a soft whisper, "Please, protect me."

Now, they all sat in their assigned places at the table. It was almost like it used to be. Almost. The sadness in Jaspar's eyes was killing her slowly. It made her heart ache, for she knew he wouldn't hide his tears for much longer.

They all ate as the big family they were. Zar and Arion sat side by side, laughing at each other's comments and jokes. Gods, it was now that Gray realised Arion wouldn't just lose his sister, he would lose his best friend as well. He would lose his sword opponent of the morning, he would lose his laughs, he would lose his most loyal companion.

The three of them, knight, handmaiden and betrothed, enjoyed their last meal in the South.

THEIR HORSES ALREADY WAITED IN THE NORTHERN GATE. A GROUP OF TEN OF SILVERSTONE'S BEST GUARDS AWAITED TO ESCORT THEM SAFELY. FIVE DEMETRAS STOOD IN A LINE FACING THE THREE DEPARTING YOUTHS.

Her belongings were already on their way to the North while she stood before her family one last time. The horses were ready, their provisions were ready, even Maellie and Zartion were ready, yet, she was not. Would she be able to do it? Would she be able to not look back?

Jaspar tried his best to not spill his tears. His eyes were red, giving away his strong emotion. "Please father," she had heard him plead, "Don't send Gray away. She has been a good lady, a good daughter and a good sister."  Indeed, she had been well behaved, but her time up now. She knelt down, feeling the grass touch her knees and wrapped her arms around her youngest brother. He was trying so hard to not sob, she knew it. He was a proud little lord, he would cry no more. "I will see you again, Jasp," she muttered in his ear. "I'll see you on my wedding day, only if you promise to be there."

The boy released himself from his grasp. "I promise," he muttered as an answer, making her smile. "I'll write as often as I can to know how you are doing in the North," he reassured. Her little brother, so loving and sweet.

As she stood up, Jonnan already had his arms around her. He would soon reach her height, and if the gods were good, they'd let him grow as tall as Arion someday. "Expect ravens from me too, sister," he spoke letting out a small laugh. "I can't wait to go up North to see you be a beautiful bride."

She chuckled herself. She could wait a long time to become a bride. "I'll look forward to that, Jonnan. I expect you to read all about the Stark history and tell me everything you've discovered when we meet again." He freed her from his hug with a nod and a kind smile.

Arion was next. She stared at him trying to analyse his expression. There was sadness, but something in his eyes hinted an amount of pride. He was proud of her, and she knew it. He yanked her towards him and imprisoned her within his two large arms. "I swear that if that Stark boy does anything to hurt you. . ." he whispered without hesitation, "I'll decapitate him in an instant. Take care of yourself, Graycleia."

Gray chuckled at his sweet words. She would miss his presence so much. "You do the same, take care of the boys for me," she whispered in his ear. "Take care of Silverstone and father and Kalis." She pulled away from him as he nodded.

Gray then went to Kalis. "Be brave, my raven" Kalis muttered, "and remember where you come from, only that way you'll always remember who you are." Gray nodded as she hugged her grandmother as tight as she held her. Kalis ran her fingers through Gray's soft hair. "Smile, and be good. Melt the ice in their hearts."

Gray smiled at her grandmother as she let her go. By now, Arion and Zar were also hugging. Maellie held the two younger kids tightly as well. Gray smiled as she approached her father. His eyes were fixed on the ground. Gray couldn't tell if it was a shame or remorse he was feeling. "Know I love you, father," she muttered. He looked up with a hint of proudness dancing in his blue eyes. "No matter what, I always will."

Auster pulled her into a hug. She held him tightly, letting forgiveness flood over her. "There is a purpose for everything, you'll see." Gray didn't dare to question his last thoughts of wisdom. "Take care of yourself, darling."

She released him and smiled as he cupped her face and kissed her forehead one last time. "Remember," he muttered, "Wisdom at heart."

Gray smiled. "Wisdom at heart," she answered. Zartion soon helped her up to her horse, Maellie after her.

And before she knew it, her journey to the North began. Wisdom at heart, she repeated to herself as the castle towers began fading away, wisdom at heart.

She ran her hand through her white horse's hair as she sighed heavily.

And just like that, the knight, handmaiden and betrothed, left their home.

Well hello, my lovess...
chapter three is probably one of my favourite chapters I'm so excited to post it!!!

If you feel this story is moving too slowly and you're about to leave, please don't,,, ROBB IS ON HIS WAY!!!!

question–if you were able to play any role in game of thrones, who would you play?

me? Podrick.

Love, Jo :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.9K 754 11
HILENA IS A NOBODY. The whelp of Winterfell's master of horse, her life will not be written in books nor revered in songs. As a spirited young girl...
2K 20 15
Before the Targaryens sailed across the Narrow Sea and claimed Westeros, another Valyrian house staked a claim in the northernmost portion of the cou...
1M 44.3K 50
❝ May the Young Wolf take me, and so he did. ❞ THE RARE WOMEN SERIES - NOVEL #2 GAME OF THRONES - SEASON 1, 2, & 3 © stxrmborn ...
561K 14K 94
"Be honourable", I plead as his lips hover dangerously close to mine "But you aren't an honourable man are you Jaime Lannister?" I dare to ask knowin...