A Month To Live

By OmfgItsBecky

What would you do if you had a month to live? With overbearing parents and inattentive friends, Raegan decide... More

A Month To Live (1)
A Month To Live (2)
A Month To Live (3)
A Month To Live (4)
A Month To Live (5)
A Month To Live (6)
A Month To Live (7)
A Month To Live (8)
A Month To Live (9)
A Month To Live (10)
A Month To Live - Bradley (11)
A Month To Live (12)
A Month To Live (13)
A Month To Live (14)
A Month To Live (15)
A Month To Live (16)
A Month To Live (17)
A Month To Live (18)
A Month To Live (19)
A Month To Live (20)
A Month To Live (21)
A Month To Live (22)
A Month To Live (23)
A Month To Live (24)
A Month To Live (25)
A Month To Live (26)
A Month To Live (27)
A Month To Live (28)
A Month To Live (30)
A Month To Live (31)
A Month To Live (32)
A Month To Live (33)
A Month To Live (34)
A Month To Live (35)
A Month To Live (36)
A Month To Live - Bradley (37)
A Month To Live (38)
A Month To Live (39)
A Month To Live (40)
A Month To Live - The Thirieth (41)
A Month To Live (42)
A Month To Live (43)
A Month To Live (44)
A Month To Live (45)
A Month To Live (46)
A Month To Live (47)
A Month To Live (Epilogue)

A Month To Live (29)

20.4K 582 181
By OmfgItsBecky

We all retreated to the upstairs living room after all the tacos had been ravaged. I hadn't been in this room before and it was on the opposite side of the house to the bedrooms.

‘I will run you over if you don’t get out of my way, bitch,’ I growled at Bradley who was driving directly in front of me and blocking me from overtaking him.

‘You can’t run over another car!’ he laughed.

‘I can and I will!’ I replied angrily.

‘Win!’ Remi exclaimed a few moments later as she passed the finish line. ‘Jeez, why’re you guys so far back?’ she laughed as she saw us both not even racing anymore and just trying to make each other crash.

‘I will run you over in your own car on the way to school,’ I scowled up at Bradley from where I was sat on the floor. He was on the armchair behind me and knocked his knee against my shoulder with a grin.

‘I look forward to it,’ he replied.

‘You guys are just so violent,’ Kyle said, shaking his head at us.

‘Yeah I will be towards you if you don’t pipe down,’ I snorted, switching my glare to him.

‘Lord, save me,’ Kyle said, looking to the ceiling as he held both of his hands up. He shifted in his beanbag to get comfier and sent a cute smile to Remi who was leaning on it right next to him.

‘New game!’ I declared.

‘You’ve said that after the last four games you’ve sucked at,’ Bradley laughed.

I punched his leg in annoyance. ‘Shut up!’ I ordered.

I crawled forward and rifled through the box of games, scattering them on the carpet as I looked.

‘Oh, what about this wrestling game?’ I asked.

‘It’s only two player,’ Bradley said. ‘It’d be us against them.’

‘I’m pretty confident that we can take them down, aren’t you?’ I asked.

‘With Satan’s spawn on my side, I am indeed confident,’ he smiled.

‘We’ll destroy you,’ Remi said and I swear the room darkened slightly.

‘We’ll see,’ I said with a wink as I replaced the racing game with the wrestling one before retreating back to the pillow I'd been sitting on.

‘Sit up here, I’ll teach you how to play,’ Bradley said, moving up on the armchair slightly to make some room for me.

‘Okay,’ I began to say, getting to my feet. He yanked me down almost before I could get the word out and I fell back into his lap.

'Forgot about your bony ass,' he said as I shifted over so I was only half on him. There wasn't quite enough room to sit side by side.

'Asshole,' I muttered, sending my elbow back into his stomach.

He laughed before sliding his arm around my waist and bringing the controller in front of me.

‘This button lets you grab the other guy, this is your character’s special power button...’ Bradley continued to explain how to play as the game loaded up.

‘Which character shall we be?’ he asked.

‘Hmm,’ I mused. ‘That tattoo bald guy looks like he can hold his ground in a fight so that’ll make it more believable,’ I said.

Bradley laughed. ‘Are we really talking about believability during a video game?’ he asked me

‘Yes, yes we are,’ I told him. ‘Please, can we be him?’

‘Fine,’ he relented, selecting the character I wanted. ‘But if this guy turns out to be a coward then it’s your fault if we lose,’ he added.

‘Sure thing,’ I replied with a snort, shifting into a comfier position as we waited for Remi and Kyle to stop bickering.

‘No, Remi! She looks like a bitch! Look at that whip!'

‘And that guy looks like a douche! Come on, please!’

‘No way! She wouldn't be a good fighter anyway,' he said.

‘Excuse me?’ I heard her voice growling out.

‘I mean in this game,’ he said hastily. ‘Her powers suck compared to that guy.'

‘Idiots,’ I laughed.

‘They’re both as stubborn as each other,’ he snorted.

‘Unlike you,’ I teased,

‘I’m stubborn about different things,’ he said, flashing me a smile.

I laughed. ‘Like what? Not letting me drive your car? It’s going to happen, hon!'

‘We’ll see about that,’ he muttered.

‘You’re still in denial, eh?’

‘You mean you’re still in denial,’ he chuckled.

‘Come on guys, the game’s starting!’ Remi exclaimed

‘Looks like Remi won,’ Bradley said. ‘Maybe that winning streak runs in the family.’

‘Shut up and kick their asses,’ I muttered.

‘Of course, my liege,’ he said.

And he did.

‘The fight lasted longer than I thought - what was that, twenty seconds?' Bradley asked.

‘I hate you,’ Remi said simply, tossing the controller to Kyle.

‘You’ve got to kick pretty boy’s ass,’ Bradley whispered in my ear.

‘That's a lot of pressure to put on me,' I muttered back.

‘I won’t forgive you otherwise,’ he added with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes.

‘I’ll try, but yeah I’ve never played this game before so...'

I failed.

I did try though. Unfortunately, Kyle was just a hell of a lot better than me. I let out a sigh.

‘I hate you,’ I said, copying Remi’s words from before. ‘You’ve clearly played this too often.'

‘I’m just a natural,’ Kyle laughed.

‘Go to hell,’ I ordered.

‘Where d'you think I came from?’ he quipped.

‘Good one,’ I said, rolling my eyes. ‘Maybe you two guys should just play against each other. This doesn't seem to be our thing,' I added with an eyeroll to Remi.

‘Apparently not,’ she mumbled with a scowl at both of them.

‘Yoink,’ Bradley said, sliding the controller from my hands.

‘I hope you both lose,’ I said.

‘Well now, that’s impossible,’ Kyle said.

‘Nothing is,’ I replied.

‘Play,’ Bradley said as the timer counted from one to zero.

I turned slightly to watch him as he played, trying to figure out how he was so good. I think he'd just practiced a lot. I rested my elbow on his shoulder as I looked down at him. I noticed a loose thread on his shirt and pulled it off.

‘Win,’ I heard Kyle exclaim from the other side of the room.

‘What happened?’ I asked, coming out of my daze and glancing over to the screen. Our bald tattoo guy was laying flat out on the floor. 'Why have you disgraced our team?’ I asked Bradley with a glare. I faltered as I saw his slightly flushed cheeks but couldn't see any embarrassment on his face.

‘Games are starting to make me feel sick,’ Remi said. ‘Why don’t we watch a film or something?’ she asked.

‘I know exactly the one,’ Kyle said with a grin. ‘I saw it downstairs last week and was so tempted to put it on...’ he added, darting out of the room with Remi hot on his heels.

‘We are not watching another one of your awful movies again!' she exclaimed.

‘You’re the one who actually owns a copy of it!’ he yelled back. Their argument got fainter and fainter as they ran down the hall.

‘What movie?’ I asked Bradley.

‘I don’t know,’ he said. ‘Probably one he knows she hates.'

‘How sweet of him,’ I snorted. ‘So, why did you make us lose?’ I asked.

‘No reason in particular,’ he said.

‘Bet you were ashamed though,’ I smirked.

‘Completely,’ he admitted.

I pinched his cheek the way he hated.

‘Pood Bradley lost on his video game,’ I pouted. He pulled my hand away from his face with a scowl.

'It was your fault anyway!’ he said.

‘How was it?’ I exclaimed.

‘You were watching me too closely, it got me nervous!’ he replied, his face turning that slightly pink colour again.

‘Oh,’ I said simply. ‘Well that’s er-‘ I broke off. ‘I was trying to see how you played,’ I explained. ‘But you were supposed to be looking at the screen anyway, not at me!’

‘Pretty hard to do with you right here,' he said, all trace of embarrassment leaving his face as he smiled up at me.

‘Why’re you being so nice all of a sudden?’ I asked him suspiciously. 'You're very confusing, you know.'

‘Hypocrite,’ he murmured.

‘I’m not confusing,’ I protested, rubbing my knuckles against his head until he winced and batted my hand away.

‘Raegan, you’re the most confusing person I know,’ he said.

‘You don’t know many people then,’ I replied with a grin.

‘Not many people are worth knowing,’ he replied.

‘So that means I am?’ I asked.

‘I suppose,' his smirk grew. ‘You still have to pay for losing against Kyle.'

‘You lost against him too!'

‘That was your fault though,’ he pointed out.

‘I’ll play you in that wrestling game and whoever wins can get revenge on the other,' I said.

‘Deal.'

I jumped off him in an instant and swiped up Kyle's abandoned controller from the floor.

‘I will destroy you at this,’ I told him, dropping to my knees on the floor near the television. He followed and knelt next to me.

‘I doubt it, you lost pretty hard to Kyle,' he teased.

‘Eh I decided to go easy on him,’ I said, waving it off. ‘Now play, play, play,’ I complained.

‘Okay, calm down,’ he said as we chose our characters.

‘I think I'll be that woman Kyle hates,' he mused. 'She's got the worst powers and I'll still be able to beat you.'

‘Shut up,’ I muttered, elbowing him in the side. ‘You’re just being the woman because you want to feel more feminine.'

He snorted in response.

The countdown began for the fight and for some reason I managed to forget all the buttons that Bradley had taught me and I ended up just randomly pressing them.

He laughed. ‘Did you forget how to play or something?’ he asked as I ran around the ring trying to escape him.

‘Er maybe,' I admitted with a grin. 'You will never win!’ I exclaimed, attempting to wrestle the controller out of his hands.

He laughed and pushed me back onto the floor, managing to hold me down with one of his arms.

‘Let me just knock you out...' he muttered, KO-ing my character swiftly. He looked down at me with a smile. ‘You lose.'

‘You weren’t supposed to manhandle me!’ I exclaimed.

‘You started it!’

‘I’m not a man so it doesn’t count as manhandling,’ I said, letting the controller fall from my hand as he pinned my wrist above my head.

'Hmm, I could tickle you, I suppose,' he said. 'That would be quite the revenge.'

'Please don't,' I begged, pouting as best I could so he'd listen.

He slowly smiled and ran his thumb over my lower lip.

'Seems like you really don't want to be tickled,' he mused.

I scowled and shoved him in the chest but he didn't move an inch.

'You’re surprisingly weak for someone who punches so hard,' he said with a smirk. I shoved him again, putting my effort in and his smirk only grew. 'I suppose I've embarrassed you enough for one day.'

'Asshole,' I muttered.

He leaned further down so he was hovering over me. I placed my hand on his chest to push him away once more but found myself only tightening my fingers in his shirt instead as his eyes met my own.

'You know, you've been calling me an asshole all day,' he said. 'I'm not sure I like it as a pet nickname.'

'It's supposed to be an insult, not a pet name,' I snorted.

'Hmm, I just think you can do a lot better,' he smiled. 'Hey,' he added. 'You're supposed to be pushing me away, remember?

‘It’s hard because-’ I broke off as I realised that Bradley’s question had two different meanings.

‘Because?' he trailed off.

I slid my hand up his chest more, realising his grip on my wrist had weakened. I gave him a huge shove and managed to roll him off to the side.

‘Because I don’t want to hurt you,’ I murmured.

‘I think you guys took that wrestling game too far by the looks of it,’ Kyle said from the doorway.

‘All Bradley’s fault of course,’ I said, tearing my eyes from him and up to Kyle. ‘He’s too competitive.’

‘He always has been,’ Remi said, stepping back into the room. ‘We have a movie, which is moderately scary but watchable at the same time,’ she said with a smirk. ‘We decided to bargain.’

‘Spare me the filthy details,' I smirked.

‘Oh we weren’t going to share anyway,’ Remi chuckled ‘Hey, Bradley why’re you on the floor?’ she added.

I glanced down at him and realised he was watching me with thoughtful expression on his face. He let out a sigh.

‘No reason,’ he replied  to Remi, pulling himself up into a sitting position.

Just before the film started, Bradley excused himself and told us to continue watching without him for now. He left the room, leaving me with a sense of unease. I think I'd annoyed him with my last comment. I think he sensed the truth in my words. Or realised I was talking about my secret.

When he didn't return for a good thirty minutes, I started worrying and glanced over at Kyle and Remi. They were so engrossed in each other that they hadn't even realised Bradley was still gone. I hesitated only for a second longer before making the decision to go find him and see what was up.

‘Going to find Bradley?’ she asked. I could just about make out her grin in the dim light.

‘Actually I was going to the bathroom-’ I began.

‘Can you bring me some popcorn?’ Kyle asked.

‘Sure. Be back in a sec,' I replied, turning to the door.

‘I’m sure you will,’ Remi replied doubtfully.

I closed the living room door behind me and went to check Bradley's room. He wasn't in there. His bathroom door was also ajar and the light off so I assumed he wasn't in there either. Unless he was doing something weird like staring at his own reflection in the darkness.

I left his room with a frown and made my way down the hall again, passing the living room door. When I reached the top of the stairs, I heard muffled voices. I frowned as I realised they were raised and hesitated on the top step. After a moment of indecision, I slowly walked down, holding the bannister tightly in my hand.

The voices were coming from Bradley's dad's study. I'd only been in there the one time when I first met the guy. I licked my lips nervously, realising that it was probably in my best interest to get the fuck out of there while I still could, but the more daring side of my brain won and I found myself inching closer.

‘-d’you mean you won’t be there?’ that was Bradley’s voice. He sounded pissed off. As in really pissed off. As in the most pissed off I'd ever heard him. I'd never ever managed to make him sound that mad before.

‘Look – Bradley-’ his dad began. I winced. Shit, it was a family argument... I should really leave.

‘No,’ Bradley said firmly. ‘You can’t just not turn up!'

‘You have to understand my job-’

‘Is all you care about? Yeah I understand that very well actually,’ Bradley replied furiously. ‘How could I not by now? When was the last time you were at a family event? This year? Last year? The year before? Do you even remember?’

‘Don’t talk to me like-’

‘I’ll talk to you however I want,’ he snarled. My breath caught. I was frozen in place. Holy fuck, what was wrong with me? I needed to leave right now and pretend I'd heard nothing!

‘How can you just not go?’ Bradley demanded. ‘How can you do that to her? Or Remi? Or me? D’you even care in the slightest?’

‘Of course I care it’s just work has been really difficult lately-’

‘Lately? Don’t throw that bullshit at me! Work's always difficult for you these days. It shouldn’t be, though, seeing as that’s all you spend your time on. When’s the last time you even spared a thought about your dead wife? Did you even care when she-’ Bradley was suddenly guy off by a slamming sound. Like a fist on a wooden desk.

‘Don’t you dare-’ Bradley’s dad began in a cold tone.

‘I don’t want to hear more of your fucking lies,’ Bradley interrupted before he could continue. ‘I’m done with you.’

I heard feet fast approaching the door but I couldn't move, still shell-shocked with a panicked expression on my face. The study door swung open so furiously that it smacked against the wall and shook.

Bradley's eyes widened as he saw me standing stock still but he shook his head and brushed past me quickly. I saw him grab something from the table by the door and heard a soft jingling sound.

‘Raegan,’ Bradley’s dad said in a slightly surprised tone. ‘What’re you-’

‘I’m sorry,’ I blurted, not sparing him a glance and running back down the hall.

I called his name but heard the front door slam closed. I yanked it open again and saw him storming down the path towards his car. He couldn't drive when he was this angry! I snatched my shoes off the floor and slammed the door behind me again, hopping from one foot to the other as I pulled on my sneakers.

I hurled myself down the path after him and managed to throw myself at the driver's side door in time for it to slam closed before he could get in.

‘Raegan, what’re you doing?’ he asked in an aggravated tone. ‘I’m not in the mood for-’

‘My turn,’ I said in a slightly breathless voice.

‘What?’ he asked impatiently.

‘My turn to drive. I want it now, give me your keys,’ I ordered, attempting to pull them from his hand.

‘Raegan, let’s not do this now-’ he said with an irritated sign, tightening his hold on the keys.

‘Give me the keys,’ I demanded, raising my voice at him. He seemed to notice the change, even in his furious state of mind.

‘Whatever,’ he muttered. He dropped the keys into the palm of my hand and walked around to the passenger side.

I got in the car and clipped my belt on before shoving the keys in the ignition and starting it up. I quickly glanced around to familiarise myself before reversing down the driveway. It always made me nervous driving someone else's car.

‘I’m a good driver,’ I muttered under my breath.

I glanced over at him as I took off down the road but he didn't seem to notice my worried look. He was silently glaring out the window at the passers-by. Thankfully, it was dark so they couldn't see the hateful looks he was sending their way.

I drove aimlessly for a while. I felt rather guilty at how much I enjoyed driving his car. It ran so much smoother than my old hunk of junk. I noticed Bradley getting slightly agitated though, and decided to take the road leading to the nearest beach. He might need a breather with no one else around.

About fifteen minutes later, I turned down the final road and after a couple more miles we reached the parking lot near the sign which showed a beach dog walkers route. I remembered stopping here for a few minutes on the first day I was exploring the area. I'd made a mental note to return but I didn't expect to with an angry Bradley. The moment I parked up, he jumped out of the car and took off down the path into the darkness.

I sighed, knocking my head against the steering wheel with an audible thunk. After a few more minutes, I turned off the engine and pulled keys from the ignition before getting out.

I slowly walked down the well worn path heading for the tall black lamp which was only about twenty feet away. It was probably the best place to wait for him. He'd be able to see me and come over whenever he was ready to leave. I squinted around in the dark but had no idea where he was.

When I reached the lamp, I brushed my fingers over it before walking a few more feet and sitting down on the sand cross legged. I stared off into dark for a while and could distantly hear the crashing of waves. Man, I hoped he hadn't decided to go for a midnight swim or something.

I shivered as a particularly bitter breeze blew past and pulled my knees up, resting my chin on them. I hadn't had time to grab a jacket on the way out. It didn't matter.

I pulled out my phone, checking the time. Almost ten. Three minutes past ten. Seven minutes past. It was almost twenty past by the time he reappeared.

I heard the sound of footsteps from behind me and glanced around warily. Bradley stopped and leaned against the lamp post, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

I struggled to my feet and brushed the sand off of me as I slowly closed the distance. I stopped abruptly when I noticed something on his hand and frowned.

‘Is that blood?’ I asked.

He made a noise but didn't bother answering otherwise. I moved forward with a frown and hesitated slightly before reaching out and forcing him to uncross his arms as I pulled his hand towards me.

'You hit something?' I asked. He barely nodded. 'Why?

‘Because,’ he muttered ‘I was annoyed.’

‘Why?’ I asked. 'What happened?'

‘Doesn’t matter,’ he said. ‘Let’s just-’

'Tell me what happened,' I said with a glare.

He scowled back at me and I winced. It was a true scowl and I didn't like being on the receiving end of it. He sighed and pulled his hand out of mine, clenching it and unclenching it a few times before speaking.

‘Just...’ he began slowly. ‘My dad said he’d be going away for a few months.'

‘What’s so bad about that?’ I asked slowly. ‘You don’t get along with him anyway...’

‘It’s our mom’s anniversary next month,’ he said. ‘He says he can’t make it because of work.

I let the silence hang in the air between us as I tried to think of a suitable response. Unfortunately, my mind had gone blank.

‘Yeah,’ he said. 'That was my initial reaction too.'

‘I...' I trailed off.

‘It’s Remi’s eighteenth birthday next month too,’ he continued. ‘He’ll miss that too. He also said he’s considering a different position – in New York.’

‘New – New York?’ I repeated.

‘New York,’ he confirmed. ‘He’ll be going there alone. All alone. Work will keep him busy though. No more worries for him.’

‘I – well, maybe he just wants to move to get away from the memories-’ I began.

‘Don’t make excuses for him, Raegan,’ Bradley said suddenly. ‘Not everyone has a good side, you know?’

‘I never said they did,’ I replied with a scowl. ‘But you just jump to conclusions all the time-’

‘I jump to conclusions because I know exactly what they are!’ he said, fixing me with a glare. ‘He doesn’t give a shit about Remi or me and this is his final way of showing it! He should just move away right now-'

‘Bradley, you need to calm down-’ I said.

‘No I don’t!’ he said in a raised voice. ‘Why does everything have to be talked about calmly?’

‘Bradley-’

‘I’m so pissed off right now, Raegan. It’s unbelievable,’ he growled. He began to pace up and down in front of me. ‘Actually no, it’s perfectly believable, that’s why it annoys me so much!’

‘Please listen-’ I said, feeling helpless.

‘To you?’ he asked, stopping in front of me. ‘Why?’

'Why?' I repeated.

‘Yeah, why?’ he said. ‘I mean didn’t you imply that you’re just as bad as him?’

‘When-’

‘Earlier today,’ he said. ‘Didn’t you say something about “hurting” me? You said you didn’t want to but the way you said it made it sound inevitable. You’ve hinted at it lots of times before too – not even on purpose!’ His eyes were burning into mine now and my mouth felt dry as I looked at him.

'So why don’t you just get it over and done with?’ he asked. ‘Seriously, I’d like to know what your “secret” is because I’m not exactly up for getting hurt again in another couple of weeks!'

I didn't reply. How could I? He was exactly right. I was worse than his father in many ways. I was incapable of telling him my real feelings and I couldn't anyway because then I'd have to tell him everything.

He seemed to take my silence as agreement or defiance - I couldn't tell which - and he began pacing once more.

'Maybe I just don't understand people,' he ranted. 'Why do they do bad things? Or do bad things just happen to bad people? Maybe I'm a fucking asshole too and I'm just to blind to see it.'

‘Bradley-’ I said weakly. 'Please stop.'

'You know what?' he said, stopping in front of me again. 'Just get it over with, Raegan,' he begged. 'I don't think I can take it anymore. I promise I'll uphold my end of the bargain, but please get it over with.'

I stared into his eyes, realising how deadly serious he was. He wanted out. Maybe I should just end this all right now. What was the difference between now and two weeks time? Nothing really. I'd probably have to leave sooner. He definitely wouldn't be able to look at me the same afterwards. Especially because I'd hidden such a big thing from him.

He turned away and leaned back against the lamp, letting out a sigh and running his hand over his jaw roughly.

I'd just have to do it then. Screw the deal. I didn't care about the deal. I cared about Bradley. If he needed to know now then I'd just have to get it over and done with no matter how much it would hurt.

I stepped towards him as I made my decision.

'You're right,' I said.

‘About what?’ he asked, looking up at me with a surprised expression.

‘I make excuses for people all the time,’ I said. ‘Even myself.'

‘I didn’t mean-’

‘You did,' I said, cutting him off. 'And you're right,' I sighed.

‘You’re sighing again...’ Bradley said. He ran a hand through his hair roughly, looking at the sand. ‘Look, Raegan – I’m sorry-’

‘Don’t be,’ I said. ‘You're mad and for good reason.'

‘Just because my dad’s a douchebag doesn’t mean I have to be,’ he muttered.

I took a deep breath.

'You’re not a douchebag,' I muttered. 'Quite the opposite actually. I think you're such a nice guy that you barely ever allow yourself to get mad,' I said, turning to look off in to the darkness. 'I want to tell you everything. I really do. And I will... if you'll listen.'

'Stop,' he said quietly.

'No. You were right. I need to get it over with. I need to tell you every-'

'Stop,' he said again, more firmly now. I turned to him with an exasperated look. 'You do need to tell me,' he agreed. 'But not now.'

‘Wait – what?’ I asked, confused at his change of heart.

‘I don’t want you to tell me right now,’ he said. ‘We have a deal, remember?’

‘But-'

‘No,’ he said, dropping a hand onto my shoulder heavily. ‘You’re obviously not ready to say, and if that’s the case, then I’m not ready to know,’ he said seriously. I looked up at him for a few seconds and let out a breath

‘Thanks, Bradley,’ I murmured. 'Sorry about your dad.'

‘Nothing for you to be sorry about,’ he replied. ‘It’s not your fault. But it doesn’t matter anyway. I'm over it for now.'

‘That was fast,’ I said, not believing him.

‘Got to keep up appearances,’ he said with an eye roll.

‘To who?’

‘Everyone,' he said.

I frowned at him as I realised he really didn't talk about his problems with anyone. He protected Remi all the time and was so selfless that he'd never even mentioned any of his issues to George or the others. I suspected tonight was a rare lapse of control for him. Looks like he didn't show every emotion on his face like I'd first thought.

'Well, most people,’ he added. He touched my chin for a moment and I blinked out of my daze as I caught sight of his hand again.

‘Your hand!’ I said, grabbing his wrist and examining the damage. ‘You’re an idiot,’ I grumbled, shaking my head at him as he yanked his wrist from my grasp.

‘It’s not that bad,’ he said with a shrug. ‘Just a few cuts.’

‘It’s bad enough,’ I replied. ‘I wouldn’t want to be in a fight with you,' I added.

‘Why would I ever hit you?’ he snorted.

‘I was being hypothetical. Besides, I was joking – I’d totally win.’

‘As if,’ he laughed.

'Let’s go back to the car,’ I smiled back, glad he was able to laugh once more. ‘It’s freezing!'

‘Oh,’ he said. ‘Wait a second,' he added, unzipping his jacket at once and shrugging it off.

‘No-’ I protested.

‘Be quiet, I’m being nice,’ he said, holding it out for me.

‘Thanks,’ I said grudgingly.

I turned around and slipped my arms through the sleeves as he pulled it up. I was instantly enveloped in his warmth and the usual aftershave he wore which almost made me feel lightheaded because it smelt so good. I turned back to face him, struggling to get my hands out of the sleeves as they were too long, and he zipped it back up for me.

'Thanks,' I said again.

I looked up at him, spying a serious expression on his face and titling my head in a silent question. I could see the reflection of the lamp in his eyes and it made it difficult to see what he was thinking.

‘Thanks for coming after me,’ he said.

'Why wouldn't I?' I said. 'Now, let's get to the car, it's still cold!

I grabbed his uninjured hand and pulled him after me as I made my way back down the path to the parking lot. I dug around in my jeans for a second and hit the unlock button when we were a few feet away.

'You got a first aid box?' I asked. I opened the passenger door and unlatched the glove compartment. 'Here it is,' I said, sitting on the edge of the chair so I was hanging out the door.

I popped open the lid and rifled through to find disinfectant swabs.

‘I don’t want any plasters,’ he tutted.

'You'll do exactly what I say,' I said firmly. 'Hand.'

He rolled his eyes and held his hand out to me. I tore open one of the swab packets and brought his hand closer.

'It's got alcohol in so it's going to sting,' I warned, glancing up at him.

He snorted. ‘I think I can manage.’

I leaned forward and started cleaning out his cuts. I had to change swabs a few times as there was quite a lot of it. I complained out loud.

‘Humans have about five litres of blood in their body so this isn’t much in comparison,’ he replied.

‘It will be when I run you over,’ I said. ‘I haven’t forgotten about that yet.’

‘I’ll make you forget, don’t worry,’ he laughed as I pulled a fresh wipe out.

'You’re going to have bruised knuckles,’ I said.

‘It’ll make me look tough.'

‘What by punching a rock?’ I said sarcastically.

‘I could just say I was in a fight for my life,' he shrugged.

‘And you call me a delinquent,' I smiled.

‘Well, I’m no runaway...’ he said slyly.

‘Shut up,’ I said, punching his stomach.

‘You can’t hit an injured man,’ he complained.

‘You’re hardly a man,’ I replied.

‘Want me to prove it?’ he smirked.

‘Go for it.’

‘One day, I will.'

‘I’m sure!’ I laughed again.

A ringtone interrupted us and I looked around for the source.

‘Is that yours?’ I asked.

‘Yeah,’ he replied. ‘Must’ve left it in the car earlier. Oh, there it is,’ he added, leaning down to the floor. ‘It’s Remi.'

He straightened up and leaned against the side of the car as he answered with his injured hand. Good, that must mean it wasn't too bad. Just a bruise and some cuts.

‘Hey, Remi,’ he said. He jerked the phone away from his ear and winced. 'Hey, calm down!' he exclaimed. I quickly packed the first aid kit away and got to my feet, leaning on the car beside him.

‘No –I’m fine, seriously!’ there was a pause. ‘Yes, Raegan’s fine too...  no I’m not lying Remi! I’ll explain when we get back, okay?... Yeah soon. Probably within the next hour – alright... okay. Okay see you then, bye.’

He hung up with a sigh and tossed the phone onto the seat I'd just vacated.

'She was not happy,' he said.

I laughed at that, not wanting to imagine her annoyance when we arrived home.

'She just worries a lot and for good reason!’

‘I guess,’ he mused. ‘Like you.’

‘I don’t worry a lot,' I said, looking up at him.

‘Yeah you do,’ he said with a smile. ‘Don’t worry it’s cute,’ he added, patting my head and pushing away from the car to stand in front of me.

‘Cute?’ I asked. ‘Worrying is not cute! How is me freaking out for half an hour while you run around on the beach in the dark cute?’

'You reaction is cute,’ he laughed. ‘And the fact that you were worrying for no reason whatsoever.'

‘There was reason!’ I protested, poking him in the chest hard. ‘You could have drowned, hit your head on a rock, got lost in the dark, got eaten by a shark or a whale-’

‘I’m not five! See... unnecessary worrying!’ he said.

‘It’s not unnecessary!’

‘It is!’

‘You’re so difficult,’ I grumbled.

‘Says you!’

‘How am I difficult?’ I asked.

‘I don’t know, I just couldn’t be bothered to come up with an insult of my own.’

‘And why would you want to insult me?’ I asked. I found my hands on the front of his shirt somehow and pulled him closer. 'That's just mean.'

‘I’d never be mean to you,’ he smiled. 'I gave you my jacket, didn't I?' He rested his hands either side of me so I couldn't move away.

‘I guess so... but you’re still trying to hurt me with words now.'

‘Oh really?’ he asked, leaning slightly closer.

‘Really,’ I replied.

‘You’re acting as if you don't insult me all the time,’ he said.

‘I insult you to strengthen your mind,’ I replied with a laugh.

‘Yeah, I’m sure that’s the reason,’ he said, shaking his head slightly.

‘Of course it is.'

‘Liar you just like being mean.’

‘Well that too,’ I smirked.

I stepped forward and slid my arms around his waist in a hug. He let out a sigh and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me away from the car and into his chest.

‘So why’re you being nice now?’ he murmured.

‘Because I feel like it,’ I mumbled against his chest.

And I felt like he needed a hug. Even if he didn't want to admit it.

‘You’re so confusing.'

‘As are you.'

We stayed like that for a while and I felt him press his face to my hair.

‘We need to start heading back,’ he said quietly.

‘You can drive this time,’ I said.

‘You wasted your turn on me,’ he said suddenly. He pulled back to see my face.

‘Well yeah... you weren't really fit to drive,’ I said.

‘You can have another one if you want,’ he offered.

I smiled slightly in response.

'I don’t need one.’

‘Sure? I’m only offering once,’ he added, raising his eyebrow.

‘I’m sure,’ I laughed.

'Why not?' he asked, smiling down at me in confusion.

‘I didn't waste my turn,' I said gently.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 243 35
This story is a super slow burn. Hailey just wants to finish her fall semester of classes. She wants to be able to go home and spend the holidays wit...
1.4K 11 31
Read to find out ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ half of the story they don't live in chicago until she moves for school
50 6 6
This is about a girl that always spends her summer down in a beach house that her family rents for the summer. One day she meets this boy that change...
3.2K 222 33
๐™’๐™๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™ฌ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ก๐™™ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™™๐™ค ๐™ž๐™› ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™›๐™š๐™ก๐™ก ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™– ๐™˜๐™ค๐™ข๐™– ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ฌ๐™ค๐™ ๐™š ๐™ช๐™ฅ ๐™›๐™š๐™š๐™ก๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™—๐™š๐™ฉ๐™ง๐™–๐™ฎ๐™š๐™™ ๐™—๐™ฎ ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š...