I Love You Because

By the-booknook

"My eyes strayed to the top of the worn page, and I allowed a small smile to creep its way onto my lips. It w... More

Prologue
October 16th
October 17th
October 19th
October 20th
October 21st
October 22nd
Epilogue

October 18th

201 25 10
By the-booknook

        Fortunately for me, I only had one more day to go until I left for America, and that day was a Saturday. I was finally able to escape the pressing questions of my peers.

        At least, that's what I thought.

        My day was going great. It was cold and rainy, which is exactly how I like the weather, as it gives me an excuse to stay inside and do whatever I want for hours at a time. There was heavy wind, too, each whooshing sound from outside making me more grateful for the warmth of the room I was in and the blanket I had wrapped around myself. It was a perfect day... Until I realized that Dan had had soccer earlier that morning, despite the weather, and that I was expected to pick him up. I glanced at the old, metal clock that my family kept on the mantel, hoping that it wasn't past eleven o'clock yet.

        Much to my relief, the clock read that I had ten minutes to drive down to the probably now muddy field and pick up my probably now complaining brother. I pulled out a long, green coat from the closet and rushed outside, pulling the jacket close to my body to protect myself from the roaring wind and cold. I got into the car and spurred the engine to life, accidently getting my seat quite wet in the process. I paid no mind to it, however, just knowing that I needed to get to the soccer field as fast as possible, it usually being a fifteen minute drive at best.

        Of course, in my rush, I hadn't accounted for the fact that Dan's coach is insane and always holds the kids an extra half an hour for a "pep talk".

        It was basically just him telling everyone what they did wrong.

        I was just coming to the decision to wait it out in the warmth of my car, when a movement of color flashed in the corner of my eyes. I turned to left, curious, and did a double take when I say Joe the badass leaning against the only dimly lit lamppost in the vicinity, his tattoos standing out in the light provided from above him. His eyes bore into me, and before I could finish my internal debate as to whether or not I go outside to join him, he brought himself to me.

        I had no time to protest before he pulled open the passenger side door, and crawled in, dripping water everywhere. I groaned a bit; I couldn't help it! My dad was going to kill me.

        "Sorry for the mess," Joe said casually, interrupting my brooding session. His many face piercings reflected the sun's light into my eyes, causing me to squint a bit.

        "Um, it's fine? Wha--"

        I was cut off by Joe grabbing my wrist, his strong movement leaving no room for resistance.

        "Listen. I know what's going on with you, because the same thing happened to me. You got a suicidal internet friend? I was the suicidal internet friend."

        I probably looked like a fish out of water gaping at him, but I couldn't help it. "How--"

        "I told you, I'm good at reading people," he interrupted again, answering my mostly unspoken question, "and since I've been in this position before, I'm trying to help. So, you're trying to save them?"

        Ignoring his question, I resorted to simply staring at him. How could he have known that my friend was suicidal? I couldn't remember telling him the day before.

        "Are you a psychic?"

        "As much as you're a genius. Which, clearly, isn't saying much."

        "Hey!" I protested.

        Joe just let out a huff before saying, "Well? You never answered the question. Are you trying to save them?"

        "Y-yes," I stammered, "Nina's my best friend. I can't let anything happen to her."

        Joe nodded, calmly accepting my answer. "I assume you plan on visiting her, wherever she is?"

        "The flight is scheduled for tomorrow."

        "Brilliant. Listen, I'm here to help you. Tomorrow, I can be your escort, since you're underage, and your ride, since I'm assuming your parents don't know about this and may notice if their car goes missing for hours. Even if they notice you being gone after a while, the car would be a dead giveaway."

        I nodded in thought. What Joe said made perfect sense... Why didn't I think of it before? "And why would you help me?"

        Joe rolled his eyes. "I told you, I've been in this situation before, and if my friends didn't help me, I wouldn't be here today at all," he said, surprisingly nonchalant for the solemnness of his words.

        "Well, I'm glad they succeeded," I said, smiling a bit.

        Joe simply shrugged his broad shoulders. "Me too. What's her name again?"

        "Nina. Nina Flores."

        "Do you know why she wants to die?" he asked, his eyes searching my own for any trace of emotion. I knew that's what I usually did when I was uncomfortable, so I started to make a conscious effort not to maintain a blank look.

        "Abusive boyfriend and tough family life," I responded. I was about to elaborate when I saw Daniel walking towards us with a quizzical look on his face. I cursed under my breathe and turned to the boy next to me.

        "You need to leave," I said apologetically, nudging him in the arm. "That little pest will never let me hear the end of this."

        Joe's eyes followed mine until they landed on my brother's small figure before smirking. "Alright, just call me when you need me tomorrow, okay?"

        I nodded in agreement and shoved on his arm harder until he relented and climbed out of the car and into the rain. As soon as he was out, Dan jumped into the now soaked seat.

        "Who was that? You're boyfriend? He's scary. You know what else was scary? When it thundered in the field! I thought I was gonna die! I was so--"

        I sighed and turned on the radio, tuning out Daniel's annoying voice. He barely seemed to notice the disturbance and kept yammering away. I, on the other hand, allowed myself to drift into my own thoughts, barely paying attention to my surroundings.

        A sudden whooshing sound snapped me out of my trance, and I realized that my tires were slipping dangerously on the slick road. I managed to right the car before we left the lane, but the rest of the car ride was much more cautionary. My brother didn't notice a thing, though, and he kept obliviously droning on about his day until we got home.

        It took all of my maturity and self control not forcibly throw the child out of the window. Luckily, I've had years of practice.

        "Hey, Dan, why don't you go play in your room for a bit? I'll call you down when dinner is ready," I suggested sweetly through a forced smile.

        Luckily, my brother didn't seem to notice and he skipped up the staircase, closing his door with a slam. As soon I heard the telltale sign that he was out of my hair, I collapsed onto the couch, face first, and allowed myself to brood on my thoughts.

        Firstly, why the hell was Joe everywhere I went? Speaking of that, how did he know I would be at the soccer field? That's just creepy.

        Secondly, what was I going to tell Nina today? I love her because she sends me into a spiraling pit of confusion? Not very uplifting if I do say so myself.

        And lastly, in what universe did my mind think flying across the ocean was a good idea? Sure, I knew that I needed to see Nina, but why didn't I just, I don't know... ask? How hard would that have been?

        I raised my head from its suffocating positon on the pillow groggily and pulled out my cell phone. No new notifications from Nina. I decided that now was as good a time as any to contact her, because even though it was late there, my best friend was always awake.

Hey.

        I decided to start with small talk. When Nina didn't respond immediately, I got up to grab my earbuds and some pretzels, and by the time I returned, I had two new messages.

What's up?

        And

I need new ideas for procrastination.

        I thought for a minute before responding.

Maybe draw? You're so talented.

        Nina replied right after.

Thanks, that's a good idea.

Hey Nina?

Yea?

I love you because your drawings can transport me into a different world.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.8K 847 67
Two childhood best friends made a deal two years ago to have a steamy and secret relationship without any commitment involved despite the fact of the...
29.4K 585 18
Pardon some grammatical errors, I created this a few years ago, way back 2015. t was a tragic ending for her.. Yes.....Tragic.. But for him.. It was...
138 2 13
"Give me ten days." "Ten days? For what?" "Ten days to try and get you to stay alive." ----- It started out as just a stupid deal but it ended in so...
39 0 18
A late brother's best friend romance. Four years away from home, a meticulously constructed 'new' life, and a heavy curtain to hide my skeletons behi...